Quadring (St. Margaret)
QUADRING (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union
of Spalding, wapentake of Kirton, parts of Holland,
county of Lincoln, 8½ miles (N. by W.) from Spalding;
containing, with the hamlet of Eaudyke, 971 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, united to
that of Wigtoft, and valued in the king's books at
£10. 1. 3.: the tithes were commuted for land in 1775.
There are several endowments for education, producing
£128 per annum; and £35, the amount of different
bequests, and some smaller sums, are distributed among
Quainton, or Quainton-Malet (St. Mary)
QUAINTON, or Quainton-Malet (St. Mary), a
parish, in the union of Aylesbury, hundred of Ashendon, county of Buckingham, 6 miles (N. W.) from
Aylesbury; containing, with the hamlets of Doddershall and Shipton-Lee, 1081 inhabitants, of whom 929
are in Quainton township. This place is situated between two roads which branch off from Aylesbury, one
towards Buckingham and Banbury, and the other
towards Bicester and Birmingham; and is nearly equidistant from Aylesbury and Winslow. The parish contains 5331 acres, of which a good proportion is woodland, and 316 acres are or were common; the soil, for
the most part, is clay to a considerable depth, and the
surface is in general level. Various kinds of stone are
found in the hill immediately above the village; and a
kind of iron sandstone is also met with. The females
are employed in the manufacture of lace. An act for
inclosing lands was passed in 1840. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £30. 12. 1., and in
the patronage of the Ekins family: the tithes have been
commuted for £780. 8., and there are 8½ acres of glebe.
The church is a handsome structure with a tower, and
contains several fine memorials to the Pigott and Dormer families: also a curious monument to the memory
of Dr. Brett, one of the translators of the Bible in the
reign of James I., and for forty years rector of the parish.
Here is a place of worship for Baptists. Thomas Pigot,
in 1704, bequeathed £300 for apprenticing children of
Quainton and Grendon; and Lady Saye and Sele, in
1787, left for the same purpose property consisting, in
1804, of £5500 consols. and £5500 reduced annuities.
Almshouses for six widows and widowers were founded
and endowed by Richard Winwood, Esq.
Quantoxhead, East (St. Mary)
QUANTOXHEAD, EAST (St. Mary), a parish, in
the union of Williton, hundred of Williton and
Freemanners, W. division of Somerset, 13½ miles
(N. W. by W.) from Bridgwater; containing 282 inhabitants. It comprises 1170 acres of cultivated land, and
1132 of common or waste; and is situated on the road
from Bridgwater to Minehead. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £9. 8. 4., and in the gift
of J. F. Luttrell, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted
for £260, and there is a glebe of 24 acres.
Quantoxhead, West (St. Ethelred)
QUANTOXHEAD, WEST (St. Ethelred), a parish, in the union of Williton, hundred of Williton
and Freemanners, W. division of Somerset, 15½
miles (W. N. W.) from the town of Bridgwater; containing 232 inhabitants. This parish comprises 1412a.
3r. 31p., of which 529 are common or waste; and is
beautifully situated on the road from Bridgwater to
Minehead, within half a mile of the Bristol Channel.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's
books at £11. 8. 8., and in the gift of Sir Peregrine
Acland: the tithes have been commuted for £220,
and there are 38 acres of glebe.
QUARLES, an extra-parochial district, in the hundred of North Greenhoe, union of Walsingham, W.
division of Norfolk, 3¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Walsingham; containing 22 inhabitants. This district,
which comprises about 600 acres, had anciently a church
subject to the abbey of Creak, and which was granted
by the Countess of Richmond to Christ's College, Cambridge. The lodge, and part of the plantations, of
Holkham Park, are within the district.
Quarley (St. Michael)
QUARLEY (St. Michael), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Andover, Andover and N. divisions of
the county of Southampton, 6½ miles (W. by S.) from
Andover; containing 191 inhabitants. It comprises
1683a. 1r. 18p., of which 1325 acres are arable, 252 pasture, 90 woodland, 15 in roads and waste, and 5 glebe.
A pleasure-fair is held. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £15. 12. 1., and in the gift of
St. Katherine's Hospital, London: the tithes have been
commuted for £341. The Rev. Thomas Sheppard,
D.D., and Richard Cox, Esq., in 1802 endowed a free
school, of which the income is about £16 a year. On
the summit of Quarley Mount, five miles north-west
from Danebury Hill, is a considerable ancient camp
with quadruple intrenchments; and various tumuli are
scattered over the adjacent downs.
QUARLTON, a township, in the chapelry of Turton,
parish and union of Bolton, hundred of Salford, S.
division of Lancashire, 4½ miles (N. N. E.) from Bolton; containing 370 inhabitants. Edward I., in the
12th year of his reign, granted free warren here to
Henry de Lee. The township lies at the foot of the
mountainous region of the Forest of Rossendale, and
comprises 590 acres of pasture and moorland; the soil
is very poor, and the scenery wild. The population is
employed chiefly in collieries and print-works: the
Quarlton Vale print-works, established forty years since,
are now the property of George Millington, Esq.
Quarndon, or Quorndon
QUARNDON, or Quorndon, a parish, in the union
of Belper, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch,
S. division of the county of Derby, 3 miles (N. N. W.)
from Derby; containing 557 inhabitants. It comprises
790 acres, whereof 619 are grass-land, 160½ ploughland and gardens, and 10 acres plantations, &c. The
soil in the lower part is a very rich marl, and in the
higher a light dry sandy soil, with a gravelly substratum,
and producing excellent potatoes: the surface is undulated, and the scenery picturesque. The village, which
is scattered, is considerable, being nearly a mile and a
half in length; it is of pleasant appearance, and contains some very neat modern houses. The living is a
perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Lord Scarsdale:
Mr. Humpston, in 1840, left £1000 for the augmentation of the income of the minister, which is at present
£106. 19. A parsonage-house was built in 1843, on a
site of one acre given by the patron, who subscribed
£300, the Messrs. Evans £300, and Miss Evans £50,
towards its erection: a sum was also granted from Queen
Anne's Bounty. The church is an ancient structure,
with a campanile tower nearly covered with ivy, and a
Norman arch at the entrance. Sir John Curzon, in
1725, bequeathed an annuity of £20 for the support of
a free school. In the village is a chalybeate spring,
which was much resorted to upwards of a century since,
and is still visited in summer, the water being highly
beneficial in cases of debility.
QUARNFORD, a chapelry, in the parish of Al
stonfield, union of Leek, N. division of the hundred
of Totmonslow and of the county of Stafford, 8 miles
(N. by E.) from Leek; containing 709 inhabitants. This
chapelry, which comprises by measurement 2894 acres,
is separated from Derbyshire by the rise of the river Dove,
while the head of the river Dane divides it from Cheshire; the Manifold and some other rivers also have
their source in the district. The principal village, called
Flash, is situated near the road between Leek and Buxton, and the western sea may be seen from a hill here.
Several coal-mines are at work; and a silk-mill, called
the Gradbatch works, employs about sixty hands. The
living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £85; patron,
Sir John Crewe, Bart. The chapel at Flash, a plain
structure, was built in 1744; and in 1833 a smaller
chapel was erected at Gradbatch. There is a place of
worship for Wesleyans.
Quarrendon (St. Peter)
QUARRENDON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union
of Aylesbury, hundred of Ashendon, county of Buckingham, 2¼ miles (N. N. W.) from the town of Aylesbury; containing 64 inhabitants. The living is annexed,
with the livings of Buckland and Stoke-Mandeville, to
the vicarage of Bierton. The church, which is fast
hastening to decay, was founded by John Farnham
about 1392, and rebuilt in the reign of Elizabeth by Sir
Henry Lee, to some of the members of whose family it
contains handsome monuments.
QUARRINGTON, a township, in the parish of Kelloe, S. division of Easington ward, union, and N.
division of the county of Durham, 4½ miles (S. E.) from
Durham; containing 732 inhabitants. In 1644 the
Scottish army, under the Earl of Leven, encamped here
for several days during the month of April, and in the
spring of the year 1747 a detachment from the Duke of
Cumberland's forces lay for some weeks on Quarrington
Hill. The place was anciently the chief town of a district called Queringdonshire, and derives its name from
some quarries in the township, which have been constantly wrought. It is divided from the manor of Tursdale by a small stream called Bow burn; and the Durham branch of the Clarence railway terminates near
Crow Trees, in the township, after a course of more
than ten miles from Stillington Moor House. In the
neighbourhood are some collieries, the produce of which
is shipped on the Tees and at Hartlepool. Of the tithe
rent-charges, £21. 10. are payable to the vicar, £62. 2.
to an impropriator, and £87. 15. to Christ's Hospital,
Quarrington (St. Botolph)
QUARRINGTON (St. Botolph), a parish, in the
union of Sleaford, wapentake of Ashwardhurn, parts
of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 1½ mile (S. W. by S.)
from Sleaford; containing 236 inhabitants. The living
is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 2. 3½.;
net income, £287; patron, the Marquess of Bristol. The
church is partly in the early and partly in the decorated
English style, and contains a font of later date, curiously
Quatford (St. Mary Magdalene)
QUATFORD (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in
the union and borough of Bridgnorth, locally in the
hundred of Stottesden, S. division of Salop, 2 miles
(S. E.) from Bridgnorth; containing, with Eardington
township, 553 inhabitants, of whom 204 are in the
township of Quatford. The parish comprises 1813 acres,
of which 514 are in the township of Quatford. The
soil is chiefly light and gravelly, and the scenery very
beautiful, with much gently-undulating hill and dale.
In Eardington are extensive iron-works for the second
and third processes of refining; there is also a coalmine, recently opened, but the produce is not of the best
quality. The village of Quatford is on the north-east
bank of the Severn, which is here navigable for vessels
of 40 tons; the road from Bridgnorth to Kidderminster
passes through it. The living is a perpetual curacy;
net income, £59, with a parsonage-house, built about 70
years ago; patron and impropriator, Lord Sudeley. The
church was originally built by the wife of Roger, Earl of
Arundel, Sussex, and Shrewsbury, first cousin of William
the Conqueror; the nave was rebuilt about 120 years
ago: the structure is of Norman architecture, and stands
in one of the most lovely situations in this part of the
kingdom; it is fitted with open seats, and is in very
good order. There is a place of worship for Baptists;
and a Church of England school, lately erected, is supported by subscription and the children's payments. On
a high rock overhanging the Severn is a remarkable encampment, where, it is said, the Danes passed a winter
when they were driven back by Alfred out of Gloucestershire: this is somewhat confirmed by the names of some
of the neighbouring localities.
Quatt (St. Andrew)
QUATT (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union, and
partly within the borough, of Bridgnorth, but chiefly
in the hundred of Stottesden, S. division of Salop, 4½
miles (S. E.) from Bridgnorth; containing 365 inhabitants, of whom 141 are in the township of Quatt-Malvern, and 224 in that of Quatt-Jarvis. The living is a
rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 5.; net income, £430; patrons, the family of Whitmore. The
church was rebuilt in 1763, when representations of the
Seven Charities, the Day of Judgment, &c., were discovered painted on the walls.
Quedgley (St. James)
QUEDGLEY (St. James), a parish, partly in the
Middle division of the hundred of Dudstone and
King's-Barton, but chiefly in the Upper division of
that of Whitstone, union, and E. division of the county,
of Gloucester, 3½ miles (S. W.) from Gloucester;
containing, with Woolstrop hamlet, 276 inhabitants, of
whom 230 are in the township of Quedgley. The river
Severn flows on the north, and the Gloucester and
Berkeley canal intersects the parish. In 1838, an act
was passed for inclosing ninety-three acres of waste
land, of which two were appropriated for recreation.
The living is a rectory, in the gift of Mrs. C. Hayward:
the tithes have been commuted for £122.
Queenborough (Holy Trinity)
(Holy Trinity), a parish,
having separate jurisdiction,
and formerly a representative
borough, in the union, and
locally in the liberty of the
Isle, of Sheppy, Upper division of the lathe of Scray, E.
division of Kent, 15 miles
(N. E.) from Maidstone, and
45 (E. by S.) from London;
containing 634 inhabitants,
and comprising 400 acres.
This place, then called Cyningburgh, was a residence of
the Anglo-Saxon kings, whose castle, near the entrance
of the West Swale, afterwards received the name of the
Castle of Sheppy. In the reign of Edward III. the
castle was entirely rebuilt, on a magnificent scale, from
a plan by William of Wykeham, subsequently Bishop of
Winchester. That monarch, on visiting the place for a
few days, made it a free borough, and, in honour of his
queen Philippa, conferred upon it its present name; in
1366 he incorporated the town by charter, and three
years after gave it the staple of wool. The castle was
repaired by Henry VIII., in 1536, at which time he
erected several others for the defence of the coasts; but
on a survey made by order of parliament, in 1650, being
found unserviceable as a fortress in modern warfare, it
was soon demolished. The only remains are the moat
and a very deep well, which latter was cleared out
by order of the commissioners of the navy, on account
of the want of water at Sheerness. Here was anciently
an hospital, dedicated to St. John.
Seal and Arms.
The town or village is situated near the West Swale,
which is navigable. It consists principally of one wide
street, and the houses in general are modern; the inhabitants are supplied with water from the castle well.
The chief employment is fishing and oyster-dredging;
there is also a copperas manufactory. Two weekly
markets and two annual fairs were granted by Edward
III., but at present only one fair is held, on August 5th.
The charter now in force was bestowed by Charles I.,
and the corporation consists of a mayor, four jurats, and
two bailiffs, with a recorder, chamberlain, town-clerk,
and other officers; the freedom is obtained by the eldest
son of a freeman, being a native, and by servitude under
freemen residing within the borough. The town first
sent representatives to parliament in the 13th of Elizabeth, from which period it continued to return two, till
disfranchised by the act 2nd of William IV., cap. 45.
The mayor and senior jurat are justices of the peace,
with exclusive jurisdiction; and a court of session is
held half-yearly before the recorder and magistrates.
The guildhall is a neat edifice, near the centre of the
town. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income,
£66; patrons, the Corporation. The church has an
ancient tower at the west end. There is a place of
worship for Independents.
QUEENHILL, a chapelry, in the parish of Ripple,
union of Upton-on-Severn, Lower division of the
hundred of Pershore, Upton and W. divisions of the
county of Worcester, 3 miles (S. S. E.) from Upton;
containing 26 inhabitants. It is situated on the right
bank of the river Severn, which bounds it on the east;
and consists of 689 acres of moderately good land.
Queeniborough (St. Mary)
QUEENIBOROUGH (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Barrow-upon-Soar, hundred of East Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 1½ mile
(S.) from Rearsby; containing 530 inhabitants. At the
period of the civil war, in 1642, Prince Rupert had his
army in this place; and an original letter still exists,
dated from Queeniborough, to the mayor of Leicester,
in which the prince requests the loan of £1000 for the
service of the king. The parish comprises by measurement 2082 acres, and is partly bounded on the northwest by the river Wreke; the road from Leicester to
Melton-Mowbray intersects the lordship about a mile
below the village, and the Midland railway approaches
within two miles. The living is a discharged vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £85;
patron and impropriator, W. Blake, Esq. The tithes were
commuted for land and corn-rents in the year 1794;
there are about 9 acres of glebe. The church, which is
remarkable for its tapering crocketed spire, stands in a
valley. There are places of worship for Baptists and
Ranters. Some years since, a few Roman antiquities
were dug up a quarter of a mile below the village.
QUEENSHEAD, an ecclesiastical parish, partly in
the parish and union of Bradford, but chiefly in the
parish and union of Halifax, wapentake of Morley,
W. riding of York, 3½ miles (N. by E.) from Halifax, on
the road to Bradford; containing upwards of 4000 inhabitants. This parish, which was constituted in June
1845, under the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37, extends about a mile in every direction from its church;
and occupies a very lofty situation, being almost the
highest ground in this part of Yorkshire. The surface
consists of hill, dale, and plain, and is intersected by a
deep valley called Shibdendale, which almost approaches
the nature of a ravine, and is covered with wood: there
is otherwise a great deficiency of wood, as well as of
water, in the landscape. The climate is very cold, so
much so, that no wheat is grown, and very little oats;
grass and potatoes are the main produce. The population is employed chiefly in the manufacture of worsted,
and in coal-mining: the mines mostly belong to Joseph
Stocks, Esq., to whom the vale of Shibdendale also belongs; and to John Foster, Esq., who is the principal
manufacturer. There are likewise quarries, the property
of various individuals. The living is a perpetual curacy,
in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Ripon,
alternately; net income, £150: the church, built at a
cost of £2700, was opened for divine service in August
1845. Here are places of worship for Independents,
General Baptists, Wesleyans, and the New Connexion
QUEMERFORD, a tything, in the parish, union,
and hundred of Calne, Chippenham and Calne, and N.
divisions of Wilts; containing 635 inhabitants.
QUENBY, a hamlet, in the parish of Hungerton,
union of Billesdon, hundred of East Goscote, N.
division of the county of Leicester, 7 miles (E. by N.)
from Leicester; containing 19 inhabitants. The manorhouse is a curious specimen of domestic architecture.
QUENDON, a parish, in the union of SaffronWalden, hundred of Uttlesford, N. division of Essex,
6 miles (N. N. E.) from Bishop-Stortford; containing
213 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road to
Newmarket, and comprises 643 acres, of which 189 are
pasture, and 106 wood; the surface is agreeably diversified, and the soil, though various, fertile. Quendon
Hall, which has been rebuilt in a handsome style, is
surrounded by a fine park. The living is a discharged
rectory, valued in the king's books at £9, and in the
patronage of Mrs. Cranmer: the tithes have been commuted for £150, and there are 35 acres of glebe. The
church is a small ancient edifice.
Quenington (St. Swithin)
QUENINGTON (St. Swithin), a parish, in the
union of Cirencester, hundred of BrightwellsBarrow, E. division of the county of Gloucester,
2 miles (N.) from Fairford; containing 371 inhabitants.
Here was a commandery of Knights Hospitallers of St.
John of Jerusalem, founded before the reign of John,
and the revenue of which was valued at £137. 7. 1.; the
gateway still remains, but the edifice itself has been converted into a farmhouse. The parish contains an abundance of stone applicable to building purposes; and a
paper-mill employs a large number of persons. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£7. 18. 4.; net income, £192; patron, Sir Michael
Hicks Beach, Bart.: there are 75 acres of glebe, with an
excellent house. The original church is supposed to
have been built soon after the Conquest; and two ancient doorways, of rich and curious Norman architecture,
are still preserved: the interior is modern, and very
neat. There is a place of worship for dissenters. Various Roman coins have been found on the line of a
Roman road here.
QUERNMOOR, a township, in the parish of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale south of the Sands, N.
division of Lancashire, 3¼ miles (S. E.) from Lancaster; containing 556 inhabitants. The ancient limits
of the forest of Quernmoor comprised the whole of the
township, and perhaps even extended into the township
of Bulk. Parts of the forest were inclosed by Edmund,
brother of Edward I.; and it now comprises 3000 acres
of inclosed land, in addition to extensive wastes. The
perambulation of the forest within the borough jurisdiction, by the corporation of Lancaster, was latterly
repeated every seven years, and continued until 1809.
In 1811 an act for the inclosure of the remainder of the
forest was obtained, and from that time the perambulation has been confined to the limits of the borough
proper. Gray's prospect of Lunedale, as described in
his works, was taken at Queen's road; where is an
ancient well, which tradition represents to have been
visited by a queen of England. From a higher station
is a view of an isthmus fringed by tall trees, the site of
an ancient hermitage. The park of the Hon. Mr. Clifford, mentioned by the poet, and the old Hall, were
purchased by Charles Gibson, Esq., from Lord Clifford;
and the present mansion of Quernmoor Park was built
by Mr. Gibson, about sixty years ago, of variegated freestone from the adjacent moor. The stone here is full
of those hard flinty particles that constitute what is
called "hunger-stone;" small millstones or querns were
formerly made of it, and it is probable that Quernmoor
derived its name from the aptitude of the stone for this
purpose, an opinion strengthened by the discovery of
several ancient millstones in the neighbourhood. A
church was erected in 1833, and dedicated to St. Peter;
it contains 300 sittings, half of which are free. The living
is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Vicar of Lancaster, with a net income of £100. There is a small
national school. Many natural curiosities are met with
here, including specimens of petrified moss, and remarkably fine septaria. Remains of a Roman pottery
were found in the park some years ago, when a variety of
bricks, tiles, and ancient vessels were taken from the
ovens: a tile with elevated edges, and many of the
bricks, bore the inscription ala sebusia, which designates a wing of Roman cavalry not before known. These
antiquities are supposed to be of the time of the Emperor Severus.
Quethiock (St. Hugh)
QUETHIOCK (St. Hugh), a parish, in the union of
St. Germans, Middle division of the hundred of East,
E. division of Cornwall, 4 miles (E.) from Liskeard;
containing 657 inhabitants. The parish comprises by
measurement 4220 acres, and is bounded by the river
Lynher on the east, and by the Tidy or Tide on the
west; the former is a considerable stream, and on each
river are several very picturesque points. The soil towards the south is rich, gradually deteriorating as it
approaches the northern boundary; it lies chiefly on a
slate and a loamy formation, and in the valleys and
near the rivers is alluvial. Some mines of manganese
are occasionally worked; veins of copper have been
found, and likewise indications of the existence of a
sulphuret of lead and silver. There are also numerous
quarries, producing a material applicable to building
purposes and for pavements. A fair is held on the last
Monday in January. The living is a vicarage, valued in
the king's books at £15. 11. 0½., and in the gift of the
Bishop of Exeter: the tithes have been commuted for
£680, half payable to the vicar, and half to the incumbent of Haccombe, in Devon; there are 32 acres of
vicarial glebe, and 8 belonging to the incumbent of Haccombe. The church was chiefly erected about the
twelfth century, parts of it earlier; and contains some
ancient bronze monumental tablets, one of which, finely
engraved, bears the date 1371.
Quick, county of York.—See Saddleworth.
QUICK, county of York.—See Saddleworth.
Quiddenham (St. Andrew)
QUIDDENHAM (St. Andrew), a parish, in the
union and hundred of Guilt-Cross, W. division of
Norfolk, 2 miles (E. by N.) from East Harling; containing 83 inhabitants. The Keppel family have a seat
here. The living is a discharged rectory, with that of
Snetterton united, valued in the king's books at
£8. 4. 6½.; net income, £636; patron, the Earl of
Albemarle. The tithes of Quiddenham have been commuted for £215, and there is a glebe of about 60
acres, with a house. The church is chiefly in the decorated style, with a tower at the west end.
QUIDHAMPTON, a tything, in the parish of Fugglestone, union of Wilton, hundred of Branch and
Dole, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of the
county of Wilts; containing 333 inhabitants.
Quinton (All Saints)
QUINTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Shipston-upon-Stour, Upper division of the hundred
of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester,
5 miles (N. N. E.) from Chipping-Campden; containing,
with the hamlet of Admington, 666 inhabitants. The
parish is distinguished as the scene of a great battle
between the Saxons and the Danes; and on the summit
of Meen Hill are the remains of a Saxon camp with
double intrenchments, supposed to have been occupied
by the West Saxons, at the period of their engagements
with the Mercians at Barrington. In the 3rd of Henry
II., Quinton was given to the nunnery of Polesworth;
and in the 5th of Henry III., the hamlet of Admington
belonged to Winchcomb Abbey. The parish comprises by
measurement 1113 acres, of which about 753 are arable,
and 360 pasture, wood, and water. The living is a
vicarage, valued in the king's books at £18. 13. 4.; net
income, £70; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester, who, with Magdalen College, Oxford, are appropriators. Land and money payments were assigned in
lieu of tithes in 1772; and lately some tithes of the
Dean and Chapter have been commuted for a rentcharge of £63. The church is a spacious structure in the
Norman style, with a fine tower, and is supposed to have
been erected by the Lacys, soon after the Conquest.
Quinton (St. John the Baptist)
QUINTON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the
union of Hardingstone, hundred of Wymmersley,
S. division of the county of Northampton, 4½ miles
(S. S. E.) from Northampton; containing 143 inhabitants. The parish is situated near the borders of Buckinghamshire, and consists of 1149 acres, of which 500
are arable. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £11. 3. 9., and in the patronage of the Crown;
net income, £235. Land was assigned in lieu of tithes
in 1814, under an inclosure act.
QUINTON, THE, an ecclesiastical district, in the
parish of Hales-Owen, Upper division of the hundred
of Halfshire, Hales-Owen and E. divisions of Worcestershire, 2¼ miles (N. E.) from Hales-Owen, and
4¾ (W. by S.) from Birmingham. It is on the Kidderminster and Birmingham turnpike-road; the surface
is elevated, the soil clay and gravel, and the scenery
pleasing. Two small coal-mines are in operation, and
many of the inhabitants are employed in making nails.
The church, erected in 1840, at a cost of £2500, and
dedicated to Christ, is in the early English style, with
lancet windows, and a spire; it contains 605 sittings,
of which 401 are free. The living is a perpetual curacy,
in the patronage of the Vicar of Hales-Owen, who has
endowed it with the vicarial tithes of the hamlets of
Cakemore and Ridgacre, producing, with a sum from
the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, about £150 per annum: there is a glebe-house. The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Baptists, have places of worship;
and an infants' school on the national plan has been
Quoisley, with Marbury.—See Marbury.
QUOISLEY, with Marbury.—See Marbury.
QUORNDON, a chapelry, in the parish and union
of Barrow-upon-Soar, hundred of West Goscote,
N. division of the county of Leicester, 1½ mile (N. W.)
from Mountsorrel; containing 1811 persons. Stockingweaving, and the manufacture of warp and bobbin-twist
lace, afford employment to a great portion of the inhabitants. The Loughborough canal passes through the
northern part of the parish. The living is a perpetual
curacy; net income, £122; patron, the Vicar of Barrow: the tithes were commuted for land and money
payments in 1762. The chapel is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. The Wesleyans, Baptists, and Primitive
Methodists have each a place of worship. A fund of
£92. 16. a year, arising from lands and houses, is appropriated to various useful and charitable purposes;
and about £31 per annum, principally from Thomas
Rawling's charity at Woodhouse, are distributed among
the poor; to whom also George Hyde, in 1826, bequeathed £1000, the interest to be divided half yearly.
Quy, county of Cambridge.—See Stow.
QUY, county of Cambridge.—See Stow.