ROMSLEY, a liberty,in the parish of Alveley,
union of Bridgnorth, S. division of Salop, 8 miles
(S. E.) from Bridgnorth; containing 110 inhabitants.
This place was until lately part of the borough of Bridgnorth, but being detached from the main portion of it,
was separated by a special act of parliament, and is now
under the county jurisdiction.
ROMSLEY, a township, in the chapelry of St. Kenelm, parish of Hales-Owen, union of Bromsgrove,
Upper division of the hundred of Halfshire, HalesOwen and E. divisions of Worcestershire; containing
Ronton (All Saints)
RONTON (All Saints), a parish, in the S. division
of the hundred of Pirehill, union, and N. division of
the county, of Stafford, 4 miles (S. by E.) from Eccleshall; containing 292 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage; net income, £93; patron, the Earl of Lichfield,
who, with Francis Eld, Esq., is impropriator.
RONTON-ABBEY, an extra-parochial liberty, in
the S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, N. division
of the county of Stafford, 3½ miles (S. by E.) from
Eccleshall; containing 28 inhabitants, and comprising
738 acres of land. A priory of Black canons, subordinate to the abbey of Haughmond, in Shropshire, was
founded in the reign of Henry II., by Robert Fitz-Noel,
in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary: at the Dissolution it had a revenue valued at £102. 11. 1. per annum.
The tower and a small portion of the cloisters still remain, with the moat that inclosed the grounds, comprising 30 acres. In the immediate vicinity, is a neat
shooting-box belonging to the Earl of Lichfield.
ROOKWITH, a township, in the parish of Thornton-Watlass, union of Leyburn, wapentake of HangEast, N. riding of York, 4¼ miles (W. S. W.) from
Bedale; containing 91 inhabitants. It comprises by
computation 1240 acres of land, the manor and property of the Marquess of Ailesbury. The village is in a
picturesque dell, on the north side of the vale of the
Roos (All Saints)
ROOS (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Patrington, Middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 5 miles (N. by W.) from
Patrington; containing, with part of the township of
Owstwick, 640 inhabitants. The parish comprises by
measurement 2324 acres, of which two-thirds are arable
and one-third pasture; the surface is undulated, and
the soil a clayey loam, with gravel. The manor was
from the reign of Henry I. the seat and property of the
noble family of Roos, one of whose barons had the glory
of leading the second division of the English army at the
battle of Cressy. The site is still visible of the castle of
the former barons; and in part of the old moat have
been lately found a misericorde dagger and some amber
beads. The place confers the original title on the present
family of De Ros. The living is a rectory, valued in
the king's books at £19, and in the patronage of the
Rev. Christopher Sykes, with a net income of £602:
the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment
in 1783. The church is chiefly in the early rectilinear
style, but there is one fine curvilinear window in the
north side of the chancel; the aisles were rebuilt, and
the interior generally repaired and refitted, in 1842, at
the expense of the rector. There are places of worship
for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans.
ROOSDOWN, an extra-parochial liberty, locally in
the parish, union, and hundred of Axminster, Honiton
and S. divisions of Devon, 3¼ miles (W. S. W.) from
Lyme-Regis; containing 5 inhabitants. This place,
which was formerly a parish, was anciently called Ralphdown, from its owner, Ralph de Downe, in the reign of
Henry II. The liberty comprises 254 acres. It still has
an incumbency, a discharged rectory, valued in the king's
books at £2. 10. 10.; net income, £35; patron, R.
Bartlett, Esq. The church is dilapidated.
Roothing, Abbess (St. Edmund)
ROOTHING, ABBESS (St. Edmund), a parish, in
the union of Ongar, partly in the hundred of Dunmow,
N. division, but chiefly in that of Ongar, S. division, of
Essex, 6 miles (N. by E.) from Ongar; containing,
with the hamlet of Barwick, 254 inhabitants. The
parish derives its name, in common with many other
parishes, from the river Roden passing through it, and
the affix to its name from the appropriation of its church
and manor to the abbey of Barking, over which an
abbess presided. It comprises by measurement 1620
acres, of which 1271 are arable, 229 meadow, 75 woodland, and 26 rough pasture and waste; the soil is wet
and heavy, but under proper management produces good
crops. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £14. 10.; net income, £323; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Thomas Dyer. The church contains
an ancient font of lead, on a pedestal of stone; and
handsome monuments to Sir Gamaliel Capel and his
daughter, Lady Lukyn. There is a meeting-house for
Independents. Thurlow, secretary to Oliver Cromwell,
was born in the parish, of which his father was rector.
Roothing, Aythorpe (St. Mary)
ROOTHING, AYTHORPE (St. Mary), a parish, in
the union and hundred of Dunmow, N. division of
Essex, 5½ miles (S. W. by S.) from the town of Dunmow;
containing 285 inhabitants. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £12; present net income,
£279; patron, J. Hubbard, Esq.
Roothing, Beauchamp (St. Botolph)
ROOTHING, BEAUCHAMP (St. Botolph), a parish, in the union and hundred of Ongar, S. division of
the county of Essex, 4¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Ongar;
containing 246 inhabitants. The parish takes the affix
to its name from William Beauchamp, proprietor of the
manor in 1262. The soil is fertile, and in good cultivation; and the village is pleasantly situated on elevated
ground. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £16. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Rev. Jonathan T. Barrett, D.D.: the tithes have been commuted
for £270, and the glebe comprises 38½ acres.
ROOTHING, BERNERS, a parish, in the union of
Ongar, hundred of Dunmow, N. division of Essex, 5¾
miles (N. E. by N.) from Ongar; containing 103 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its distinguishing
affix from Hugh de Berners, to whom the manor at one
time belonged, comprises 1038a. 12p., whereof 841 acres
are arable, 162 pasture, and 34 woodland. The living is
a perpetual curacy; net income, £63; patron, T. W.
Bramston, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for
a rent-charge of £224. 14.
Roothing, High (All Saints)
ROOTHING, HIGH (All Saints), a parish, in the
union and hundred of Dunmow, N. division of the
county of Essex, 4½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Dunmow;
containing 446 inhabitants. The parish takes the prefix
to its name from its situation higher up the river Roden
than the other places called Roothing. There are several
ancient mansions. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £20, and in the gift of the Earl of Roden:
the tithes have been commuted for £487, and the glebe
comprises 25 acres.
ROOTHING, LEADEN, a parish, in the union and
hundred of Dunmow, N. division of Essex, 6½ miles
(S. S. W.) from Dunmow; containing 171 inhabitants.
It comprises 911a. 2r. 33p., of which about 800 acres
are arable, 70 pasture, and 40 woodland. The living is
a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 13. 4., and
in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £227. The
church is of great antiquity, with a wooden belfry-turret
surmounted by a low spire.
Roothing, Margaret (St. Margaret)
ROOTHING, MARGARET (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union and hundred of Dunmow, N. division
of Essex, 7¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Ongar; containing
272 inhabitants. It is elevated ground, and comprises
1125a. 1r. 38p., of which 948 acres are arable, 136 pasture, and 40 woodland. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £10. 12. 6.; patrons, the family
of Bentley: the incumbent's tithes have been commuted
for £234, and £81 are paid to the rector of StondonMassey; the glebe consists of 46 acres. The church
has an enriched Norman porch.
ROOTHING, MORRELL, a hamlet, in the parish
of White-Roothing, union and hundred of Dunmow,
N. division of Essex, 8 miles (N.) from Ongar; containing 32 inhabitants. This was formerly a parish.
Roothing, White (St. Martin)
ROOTHING, WHITE (St. Martin), a parish, in
the union and hundred of Dunmow, N. division of Essex,
8 miles (N.) from Ongar; containing 520 inhabitants.
The parish is situated on the river Roden, and comprises
2522a. 1r. 14p., of which 1949 acres are arable, 221 meadow and pasture, 201 woodland and plantations, and
the remainder garden and waste. The surface is elevated;
the soil, though various, is moderately fertile, and the
scenery agreeably diversified. The village is pleasant,
and contains several neatly-built houses. The living is
a rectory, valued in the king's books at £26, and in
the gift of J. Maryon Wilson, Esq.: the tithes have
been commuted for £600, and the glebe comprises 63
acres. The church is a spacious structure, with a large
embattled tower surmounted by a lofty spire.
ROPE, a township, in the parish of Wybunbury,
union and hundred of Nantwich, S. division of the
county of Chester, 2¾ miles (E. by N.) from Nantwich; containing 123 inhabitants. It comprises 573a.
1r. 18p. The tithes have been commuted for £6. 10. 6.
payable to the vicar of the parish, and £61. 10. to the
Bishop of Lichfield.
Ropley (St. Peter)
ROPLEY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Alresford, hundred of Bishop's-Sutton, Alton and
N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 3 miles
(E.) from Alresford; containing 771 inhabitants, and
consisting of 3715a. 1r. 27p. The living is annexed
to the vicarage of Bishop's-Sutton: the tithes have
been commuted for £240, and the glebe comprises 7
acres. The church is an ancient structure. The late
Archbishop of Canterbury was born in this parish, of
which his father was incumbent for forty years; and
the archbishop himself held the living for some time:
his grace died in February 1848.
Ropsley (St. Peter)
ROPSLEY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Grantham, wapentake of Winnibriggs and Threo,
parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 5¾ miles (E. by
S.) from Grantham; containing, with the hamlet of
Little Humby, 673 inhabitants, of whom 604 are in
Ropsley township. The living is a rectory, valued in
the king's books at £11. 14. 2.; net income, £669;
patron, the Duke of Rutland. On the inclosure of the
parish, 25 acres of land were allotted to the poor, the
rent of which, £20, is distributed in coal.
Roseacre, Lancaster.—See Treales.
ROSEACRE, Lancaster.—See Treales.
Rose-Ash (St. Peter)
ROSE-ASH (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
South Molton, hundred of Witheridge, South Molton and N. divisions of Devon, 5¾ miles (E. S. E.) from
South Molton; containing 541 inhabitants. The parish
comprises 4514 acres, of which 1251 are common or
waste land. There are some quarries of stone for repairing the roads. The living is a rectory, valued in
the king's books at £18. 19. 7.; net income, £423;
patron and incumbent, the Rev. E. Southcombe: the
glebe comprises 100 acres. The church is ancient.
Rosedale East Side
ROSEDALE EAST SIDE, a chapelry, in the parish
of Middleton, union and lythe of Pickering, N. riding
of York, 7 miles (N. E. by N.) from Kirkby-Moorside;
comprising the townships of Hartoft and Rosedale East
Side, and containing 555 inhabitants, of whom 387 are
in Rosedale East Side. A convent of Benedictine or
Cistercian nuns, in honour of St. Mary and St. Lawrence, was founded here in the reign of Richard I., by
Robert, son of Nicholas de Stutevil, and at the Dissolution possessed a revenue of £41. 13. 8. The township
is situated in the picturesque vale of the river Seven, and
comprises about 4600 acres, of which 2000 are inclosed,
and the remainder is moorland. It is partly clayey land,
and partly a red soil, and the substratum contains coal
of inferior quality, wrought chiefly for lime burning;
there are also some quarries of good flagstone. The
village is pleasant, and the surrounding scenery partially
interspersed with wood: on the river is a large flourmill. The chapel was rebuilt in 1839, at a cost of £665,
raised by subscription: the living is a perpetual curacy;
net value, £94.
Rosedale West Side
ROSEDALE WEST SIDE, a township, in the parish
of Lastingham, union of Pickering, wapentake of
Ryedale, N. riding of York, 11 miles (N. W. by N.)
from Pickering; containing 201 inhabitants. This is a
high moorland township, extending to the sources of
the small river Seven, and comprising 2700 acres, of
which 1800 are common or waste: it has several beds
of coal. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for
£27; and the appropriate, payable to the Archbishop
of York, for £8. 10.
ROSEDEN, a township, in the parish of Ilderton,
union of Glendale, N. division of Coquetdale ward
and of Northumberland, 5 miles (S. E. by S.) from
Wooler, on the road to Newcastle; containing 83 inhabitants. The township comprises about 1850 acres, of
which 1000 are moorland, 800 arable, and 50 pasture
and wood; it is of a light turnip soil, with a portion of
clay, and there is a small freestone-quarry. The river
Breamish passes on the east. On Roseden Edge are the
remains of a semicircular intrenchment of earth, with
an inner wall of loose stones, supposed to be of British
ROSEGREEN, a hamlet, in the parish of Pagham,
union of West Hampnett, hundred of Aldwick, rape
of Chichester, W. division of the county of Sussex;
containing 82 inhabitants.
ROSLEY, a township, in the parish of Westward,
union of Wigton, Allerdale ward below Derwent,
W. division of Cumberland, 5¼ miles (E. S. E.) from
Wigton; containing 279 inhabitants. A great fair for
horses, cattle, sheep, cloth, &c., is held on Whit-Monday,
and every alternate Monday following till All Saints'
day; at which it is computed that 2000 head of cattle,
and 500 horses, are exhibited for sale on one day.
Forty acres of land on Rosley Hill were allotted for
holding the fair, under an inclosure act in 1811.
Rosliston (St. Mary)
ROSLISTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of Repton and Gresley, S. division of the county of Derby, 4½ miles (S.
by W.) from Burton; containing 327 inhabitants. It
comprises 1197a. 12p. of fertile marl or clay land; and
has a pleasant village, about two miles south-west from
which is Coton Park, a mansion surrounded with a
thriving plantation. Coton-Park farm consists of 300
acres, with a neat house. The living is annexed to the
rectory of Walton-on-Trent: the tithes were commuted
in 1840 for £100, and the glebe comprises 58 acres; 307
acres in the parish are tithe free, and 517 are covered
by a modus. The church, with the exception of the
tower, was rebuilt by subscription in 1827.