Shirburn (All Saints)
SHIRBURN (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Thame, hundred of Pirton, county of Oxford, 4 miles
(S. by E.) from Tetsworth; containing 338 inhabitants.
This place was the property of Richard, Earl of Cornwall,
and passed to Alice, wife of Warine de L'lsle, whose
descendant of the same name obtained from Edward III.
licence to embattle his house here. Shirburn Castle,
the seat of the Earl of Macclesfield, is surrounded by a
moat, over which is a drawbridge; it contains a noble
hall, an armoury, and a suite of splendid apartments,
with a fine collection of paintings, including a portrait
of Catherine Parr, wife of Henry VIII. The parish
comprises about 2300 acres. The soil is partly
gravel, alternated with chalky loam: the surface is
generally flat, except towards the south, where it extends
over a portion of the Chiltern hills; and the scenery
is enriched with wood. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10. 16. 0½.; net
income, £112; patron and impropriator, the Earl. Certain tithes were exchanged for land and corn-rents, under
an act of inclosure, in 1805; and recently, tithes belonging to the vicar have been commuted for a rent-charge
of £80, and great tithes for £14. 10.
SHIREBROOK, a chapelry, in the parish of Pleasley, union of Mansfield, hundred of Scarsdale, N.
division of the county of Derby, 5½ miles (N. by W.)
from the town of Mansfield.
SHIRE-HALL-YARD, an extra-parochial district,
in the borough and union of Ipswich, E. division of the
county of Suffolk; containing 94 inhabitants.
SHIREHAMPTON, a chapelry, in the parish of
Westbury-upon-Trym, union of Clifton, Lower division of the hundred of Henbury, W. division of the
county of Gloucester, 5 miles (N. W. by W.) from
Bristol; containing 671 inhabitants. It comprises 1436
acres, of which 34 are common or waste land. Kingroad and Hung-road, two noted anchorages for ships,
are within the precincts of the chapelry. The chapel is
dedicated to St. Michael: the living is in the gift of
the Incumbent of Westbury. A rent-charge of £334. 5.
has been awarded as a commutation for the tithes.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Shire-Newton (St. Thomas à Becket)
SHIRE-NEWTON (St. Thomas à Becket), a parish, in the division and union of Chepstow, hundred
of Caldicot, county of Monmouth, 4 miles (W.) from
Chepstow; containing 895 inhabitants. The parish is
intersected by the road from Chepstow to Usk; and
comprises 3544a. 3r. 23p., of which 1125 acres are
arable, 1162 pasture and meadow, 264 woodland, 522
common, 119 in cottages and gardens, and 76 in roads
and waste. The surface is a good deal undulated, and
the soil sandy and loamy, with a substratum of redsandstone. The views are extensive, especially from
Shire-Newton House, whence the Irish coast opposite
Lundy Island may be seen on a clear day. There are
some paper-mills. The living is a discharged rectory,
valued in the king's books at £9. 8. 1½., and in the patronage of the Crown, in right of the Prince of Wales:
the tithes have been commuted for £375. 5. 6., and
there is a glebe of about two acres, with a small rectory
manor and a good house. The church is in the early
English style of architecture, and has a central tower.
Here are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans.
SHIREOAKS, a chapelry, in the parish and union of
Worksop, wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the
county of Nottingham, 3½ miles (W. N. W.) from the
town of Worksop; containing 100 inhabitants. The
living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £90; patron,
the Duke of Newcastle.
Shirland (St. Leonard)
SHIRLAND (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union
of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division
of the county of Derby, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Alfreton; containing 1381 inhabitants, of whom 930 are in
Shirland township. The parish comprises about 3000
acres, of which 1000 are arable, and the remainder pasture and meadow, with a considerable portion of woodland; the soil is tolerably fertile, and the substratum
clay, with some seams of coal. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £7. 15. 5., and in the
gift of the Earl of Thanet, W. E. Nightingale, Esq., and
Mrs. Charge, who present by turns. The tithes have
been commuted for £175, and the glebe comprises 60
acres, with a house; there is also a rent-charge of £19
payable to the rector of Morton. The church, erected
in the 14th century, consists of a nave, chancel, aisles,
and tower with pinnacles; in it are the remains of a
singular monument with numerous quarterings of the
De Grey, the Ferrers, and other families. At Hallfieldgate is a charity school, built on a site given by Edward
Revell, and endowed by Mrs. Lydia Boot, Mr. Stocks,
and others, with about £25 per annum: there are also
a national and a Church Sunday school in the parish.—
Shirley (St. Michael)
SHIRLEY (St. Michael), a parish, in the hundred
of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby,
4¼ miles (S. E. by S.) from Ashbourn, on the road
to Derby; containing, with the townships of Stydd
and Yeaveley, 599 inhabitants. Shirley is so called
from the Saxon, signifying "a clear place or pasture;"
and gives name to a family which has for ages been considered one of the most honourable in the county. Part
of the lands still belong to the Shirleys, who are now
represented by Earl Ferrers. The parish comprises
1598a. 3r. 29p. of land, mostly pasture. The ancient
Hall, now converted into a farmhouse, still retains
features of its original character; and the moat by
which it was surrounded is yet remaining. The park,
recently purchased by Francis Wright, Esq., exhibits
very beautiful woodland scenery. The living is a discharged vicarage endowed with the rectorial tithes,
with the chapelry of Yeaveley, and valued in the king's
books at £6. 13. 4.; patron, Earl Ferrers. The tithes
have been commuted for £153. 17., and the glebe comprises 9 acres, with a parsonage-house, built in 1827, by
the late vicar, the Rev. Walter Augustus Shirley, archdeacon of Derby, afterwards bishop of Sodor and Man,
who died in 1847. The church is a small building with
a tower; the body is of the 14th or 15th century: a
north aisle was added in 1843, at a cost of about £800.
In the churchyard is a remarkable yew-tree. A schoolhouse has been lately built.
SHIRLEY, a township, in the parish of Aymestrey,
union of Leominster, hundred of Wigmore, county of
Hereford; containing 40 inhabitants.
SHIRLEY, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish
of Millbrook, union of South Stoneham, hundred
of Buddlesgate, Southampton and S. divisions of the
county of Southampton, 2 miles (N.N. w.) from Southampton; containing 2500 inhabitants. This district
includes the village of Shirley; part of the village of
Hill or Four-Posts, on the shore of the Southampton
Water; the hamlets of Cocksford and Aldermoor; and
Shirley Common, a spacious tract recently inclosed.
The soil in the upper portions is generally gravel and
light mould; and in the lower, gravel, alternated with
clay and sand. The surface is boldly varied, extending
chiefly over two hills near the Salisbury road; the
higher grounds command fine views of the Isle of Wight,
the Southampton Water, and the New Forest. The
air is remarkably salubrious. A vineyard has been
planted by Mr. Clement Hoare, on Shirley warren, where
that gentleman hopes to bring vines of every kind to
perfection. Part of the common has been appropriated for building, and several handsome houses
have been already erected; there are a brewery, and a
manufactory of agricultural implements, in the village.
The church was erected and endowed in 1836, by the
Rev. W. Orger; it is a handsome structure in the later
English style, with a square embattled tower, and contains 1080 sittings, of which 432 are free. A neat parsonage-house has been erected in a beautiful situation.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and schools
connected with the Church are supported by subscription. Robert Pollok, author of the Course of Time, died
here in September, 1827.
SHIRLEY, a tything, in the parish of Sopley,
union and hundred of Christchurch, Ringwood and
S. divisions of the county of Southampton; containing
SHIRLEY-STREET, an ecclesiastical district, in the
parish and union of Solihull, Solihull division of the
hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county
of Warwick, 6 miles (S.) from Birmingham; containing 1009 inhabitants. The church, dedicated to St.
James, was erected in 1832, at a cost of £1500, raised
by subscription; it is a neat structure with a campanile
turret, and contains 506 sittings, of which 306 are free.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of
the Rector of Solihull; net income, £120, of which £45
are derived from the mother church, and £72 granted
by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Attached to the
church is a good parsonage-house; and a national school
for boys and girls is supported from the proceeds of the
parochial charity estates.
Shitlington (All Saints)
SHITLINGTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union
of Ampthill, partly in the hundred of Clifton, and
partly in that of Flitt, county of Bedford, 4 miles
(E. S. E.) from Silsoe; containing, with the hamlets of
Holvvell and Lower Stondon, 1411 inhabitants. The
living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books
at £18; net income, £128; patrons and impropriators,
the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge.
The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1802. The church is a large and handsome
edifice; the tower was rebuilt by the parishioners in
SHITLINGTON, a township, in the parish of Thornhill, union of Wakefield, Lower division of the
wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 5¾ miles
(S. W. by W.) from Wakefield; containing 2164 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Wakefield to
Huddersfield, in the fertile and picturesque valley of the
Calder; and comprises about 3280 acres. The soil is
rich, and the substratum abounds with excellent coal,
which is extensively worked. Coke is made in abundance, for the supply of the railways; and there
are some quarries of good building-stone, the produce of which, and of the collieries, is sent to the
East riding and to London, by the Calder and Hebble
navigation. The woollen manufacture is carried on
at Middle, Over, and Nether Shitlington. There are
places of worship for Wesleyans at Middle and Nether
SHITLINGTON, HIGH, a township, in the parish
of Wark, union of Bellingham, N. W. division of
Tindale ward, S. division of the county of Northumberland, 3 miles (w.) from Wark; containing 106
inhabitants. This place and Low Shitlington form the
northern division of the parish.
SHITLINGTON, LOW, a township, in the parish
of Wark, union of Bellingham, N. W. division of
Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 2½
miles (W. by N.) from Wark; with 72 inhabitants.
SHITTERTON, a tything, in the parish and hundred of Beer-Regis, poor-law union of Wareham and
Purbeck, Wareham division of the county of Dorset;
containing 225 inhabitants.