SMALESMOUTH, a township, in the parish of
Greystead, union of Bellingham, N. W. division of
Tindale ward, S. division of the county of Northumberland, 8 miles (W. by N.) from Bellingham; containing 159 inhabitants. It is situated on the Smales
burn, near its junction with the river Tyne; and includes the hamlets of Greystead and Holt. Dalby Castle
is also in the township.
SMALLBRIDGE, an ecclesiastical district, in the
parish and union of Rochdale, hundred of Salford,
S. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (N. E.) from Rochdale, on the road to Halifax; containing 5875 inhabitants. This district comprises the greater part of the
township of Wuerdale with Wardle: the soil is generally clay, the surface undulated, and the scenery wild
and romantic. There are coal-mines and good stonequarries, which, with two woollen-mills and three cottonmills, chiefly employ the population. Great Howarth,
the property of J. S. Entwisle, Esq., stands on a fine eminence, and commands an extensive view. The living is a
perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Rochdale; net income, £150, partly derived from the interest
of £2000 left in 1840 by Jonathan Fildes, Esq., of Quarry
Hill. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was
erected in 1833, at a cost of £3071, and is in the later
English style, with a campanile turret; the eastern
window is of painted glass. There are excellent national
Smallburgh (St. Peter)
SMALLBURGH (St. Peter), a parish, in the Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Tunstead, E. division of Norfolk, 5¼ miles (N. E. by E.)
from Coltishall; containing 634 inhabitants. The parish
is situated on the Cromer and Yarmouth road, and
bounded on the north-east by the navigable river Ant.
It comprises 1247a. 32p., of which 922 acres are arable,
197 meadow and pasture, and 127 fen and marsh.
Petty-sessions are held here at the house of industry
for the incorporated hundreds of Happing and Tunstead.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's
books at £10. 4., and in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich: the tithes have been commuted for £420, and
the glebe comprises 28 acres. The church is an ancient
structure in the later English style; the tower fell
down in 1677, and has not been rebuilt. There is a
place of worship for Wesleyans.
SMALLEY, a chapelry, in the parish of Morley,
union of Belper, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 7 miles
(N. E.) from Derby; containing 826 inhabitants. The
area is 1570a. 2r. 38p. Here is a small colliery, and
some extensive collieries in the neighbourhood afford
employment to many of the population. The village is
well built, and has been lately much improved. Pettysessions are held every Monday. The tithes have been
commuted for £343. 4., and there are 27¼ acres of glebe
in the township. The chapel, dedicated to St. John the
Baptist, is a modern building, consisting of a nave and
transepts. The Anabaptists have a place of worship in
the village. John and Samuel Richardson, in 1712,
conveyed property of which the annual income is £88,
for the support of a school, and the relief of decayed
colliers; 28 boys receive a gratuitous education, with a
small pension during the period they attend school, and
16 colliers have a quarterly allowance.
SMALLFORD, a ward, partly in the parish of St.
Stephen, and partly in the parish of St. Peter, St.
Alban's, hundred of Cashio, or liberty of St. Alban's,
union of St. Alban's, county of Hertford; containing
SMALL-HYTHE, a chapelry, in the parish, union,
and hundred of Tenterden, Lower division of the lathe
of Scray, W. division of Kent, 2 miles (S. by E.) from
Tenterden. The living is a donative, in the patronage
of the Householders of Dumborne; net income, £107.
The chapel is dedicated to St. John the Baptist.
SMALLRIDGE, a tything, in the parish, union, and
hundred of Axminster, Honiton and S. divisions of
Devon; containing 207 inhabitants.
SMALLWOOD, a township, in the parish of Astbury, union of Congleton, hundred of Northwich,
S. division of the county of Chester, three miles (E. by
S.) from Sandbach; containing 606 inhabitants. The
manor was successively in the families of Mainwaring,
Audley, Hawkestone, Egerton, and Willoughby; it
was sold by the last to Sir William Brereton, and afterwards came by purchase to the Powis family. Thomas
Jelph Powis, Esq., sold it to the late Mr. Holland
Ackers, of Manchester. The township lies on the road
from Knutsford to Newcastle-under-Lyme, and comprises an area of 1955 acres, of which the soil is partly
clay, and partly sand. A church was erected in 1845,
at a cost of £1500, on a site given by R. B. Levitt, Esq.;
it is a small edifice in the early English style, with a
bell-turret, and will accommodate 300 persons. The
living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the
Rector of Astbury, who has endowed it with £25 per
annum: there is a parsonage-house, built by subscription, on half an acre of land. The rents of an estate
called Pinfold House, situated near Brookhouse-Green,
within the township, left by William Furnival, of Sandbach, in 1760, are for the most part distributed among
indigent housekeepers and other poor inhabitants; a
portion of them is expended in apprenticing children.
Smannell or Swanhill
SMANNELL, or Swanhill, a hamlet, in the parish,
poor-law union, and hundred of Andover, Andover
and N. divisions of the county of Southampton; containing 65 inhabitants.
SMARDALE, a township, in the parish of KirkbyStephen, East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 2¾ miles (W. S. W.) from Kirkby-Stephen; containing 35 inhabitants. It comprises 1735 acres, of
which 643 are common or waste land. Smardale Hall,
an ancient manor-house formerly belonging to the
Warrop and Dalston families, proprietors of the township, is now a farmhouse.
Smarden (St. Michael)
SMARDEN (St. Michael), a parish, and formerly
a market-town, in the union of West Ashford, hundred of Calehill, lathe of Shepway, E. division of
Kent, 9 miles (N. E. by E.) from Cranbrooke, containing 1141 inhabitants, and comprising 5379a. 3r. 15p.,
of which 1240 acres are in wood. The old markethouse is yet remaining; and a fair, chiefly for pleasure,
is held on the 10th of October. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £24. 2. 6.; net income,
£501; patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. There
are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans; also
a free school founded in 1716, by Stephen Dadson, who
endowed it with property now producing upwards of
£65 a year.
SMEATON, GREAT, a parish, in the union of
Northallerton, partly in the wapentake of Allertonshire, and partly in Gilling-East, N. riding of
York, 6½ miles (N. by W.) from Northallerton; containing, with the township of Hornby, 517 inhabitants.
The parish is bounded on the north by the Tees, and
comprises 3219 acres, of which 1828 are arable, 1333
grass, and 58 woodland: the soil is a strong stiff clay.
The surface is varied; the lower grounds on the south
are watered by the river Wisk, the scenery is open, and
of pleasing character. Part of the township of Great
Smeaton is in the parish of Croft. The great north
road passes through the village. The living is a rectory,
with the perpetual curacy of Appleton-upon-Wisk annexed, valued in the king's books at £13. 13. 4.; net
income, £472; patron, Robert Barry, Esq. The church
is an ancient edifice.
Smeaton, Kirk (St. Mary)
SMEATON, KIRK (St. Mary), a parish, in the
Upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, W.
riding of York, 6½ miles (S. E.) from Pontefract; containing 326 inhabitants. It comprises by computation
1800 acres. The soil is light but fertile, and the substratum generally limestone, well adapted for building,
though not for agricultural purposes. There are also
quarries of freestone, some of which was sent to London; but the quality varied so greatly that the quarries
were abandoned, and a tramroad that had been laid
down for the conveyance of the stone to Heckbridge
was taken up, and the ground it occupied restored to a
state of cultivation. A considerable quantity of teasel
is grown. The great north road intersects the parish,
and the new Doncaster and Leeds road skirts it. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£10. 1. 0½., and has annexed to it 333 acres of land, for
which the tithes were commuted in 1808, and which
is worth from 21s. to 22s. per acre; patron, Earl Fitzwilliam. The church is a small neat structure in the
early English style.
SMEATON, LITTLE, a township, in the parish of
Birkby, union of Northallerton, wapentake of
Allertonshire, N. riding of York, 5½ miles (N. by
W.) from Northallerton; containing 71 inhabitants.
This is a township of scattered houses, situated on the
south side of the river Wisk, opposite Great Smeaton,
and comprising about 1000 acres of land. The manor
belongs to the Hewgill family.
SMEATON, LITTLE, a township, in the parish of
Womersley, Lower division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, W. riding of York, 6½ miles (S. E. by E.)
from Pontefract; containing 233 inhabitants. The township comprises by computation 1100 acres of land,
chiefly the property of Lincoln College, Oxford, and of
which the soil is a rich loam. The river Went passes
on the south, in a direction nearly from east to west,
and is sometimes swollen so as to flood the pastures.
The tithes were commuted for land and money payments
SMEDLEY, a hamlet, in the township of Cheetham, parish and union of Manchester, hundred of
Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (N.) from
Manchester. On the river Irk, at this place, are some
dye-works and a paper-mill. Smedley Hall is the property of Edward Loyd, Esq., banker, of Manchester.
Smeeth (St. Mary)
SMEETH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
East Ashford, franchise and barony of Bircholt,
lathe of Shepway, E. division of Kent, 4 miles (E. S.
E.) from Ashford; containing 489 inhabitants. This
was formerly a market-town; and fairs are still held
on May 12th and Michaelmas-day, for toys and pedlery.
The living is annexed to the rectory of Aldington. The
church is principally in the Norman style of architecture.
Timothy Bedingfield, in the year 1691, bequeathed an
estate now producing £111. 10. per annum, for education.
SMEETON-WESTERBY, a township, in the parish
of Kibworth-Beauchamp, union of Harborough,
hundred of Gartree, S. division of the county of Leicester, 5¼ miles (N. W.) from the town of Harborough;
containing 567 inhabitants.
Smerrill, Derbyshire.—See Middleton.
SMERRILL, Derbyshire.—See Middleton.
Smethcott (St. Michael)
SMETHCOTT (St. Michael), a parish, in the union
of Church-Stretton, hundred of Condover, S. division of Salop, 9½ miles (S. by W.) from Shrewsbury;
containing, with the townships of Betchcott and Picklescott, and the hamlet of Walk-Mills, 371 inhabitants,
and an area of about 1500 acres. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 9.;
net income, £276; patrons, the Trustees of Hulme's
charity, Manchester. The church is ancient.
Smethwick, Cheshire.—See Brereton.
SMETHWICK, Cheshire.—See Brereton.
SMETHWICK, a hamlet and manufacturing district,
in the parish of Harborne, union of King's-Norton,
S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county
of Stafford, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Birmingham;
containing 5020 inhabitants. This hamlet is situated
on the road from Birmingham, through Oldbury, to
Dudley; and comprises by measurement 1830 acres of
arable, pasture, and meadow land. The substratum in
the northern part appears to contain a good supply of
coal. J. W. Unett, Esq., a proprietor of land in the
parish, after boring to the depth of 220 yards, at an
expense of £1200, has found coal-measures corresponding with those of a pit sunk by Joshua Horton,
Esq., about a mile from the spot, and also with the
measures of one belonging to Lord Dartmouth, about a
mile and a half distant, in the parish of West Bromwich.
There are likewise pits of good gravel, which is used for
the roads. The scenery is pleasingly diversified, in
some parts beautifully picturesque, and is enlivened with
numerous good residences. Of these the principal are,
the Lightwoods, a handsome mansion built in 1780;
the Firs, the Woodlands, Smethwick House, GaltonBridge House, Shireland Hall; and Smethwick Hall,
built about a century since, on the site of an ancient
Among the manufactories established in the district,
are some very extensive works in which more than 700
persons are employed in the manufacture of various
kinds of glass, and of the several chemical products connected with glass-making, upon a larger scale than in
any other establishment in Great Britain. The chief
articles are, the British window-glass called crown-glass;
the ordinary foreign window-glass, called German sheetglass, introduced into this country within the last few
years, by Mr. Robert Lucas Chance, the senior partner
of the firm; and French shades, also of his introduction,
which are blown into oval, square, or circular forms of
large dimensions, some exceeding three feet six inches
in height, and one foot nine inches in diameter. A new
description of plate glass, made by grinding and polishing German sheet-glass, by a process invented by one of
the partners, is exclusively made here; and among the
other articles produced in the works, are stained and
ornamental glass, glass for optical purposes, and sulphate and carbonate of soda in different states. A
manufactory for railway-carriages affords occupation to
650 persons. The Smethwick soap, soda, and red-lead
works, which have been established more than thirty
years, employ about 100 persons; in the Smethwick
foundry 230 men are constantly engaged, and some ironworks belonging to Messrs. Jones, Aspinal, and Co., are
likewise extensive. The District Steel and Iron works
employ 150 men in the manufacture of steel and iron,
also of spades and shovels, and of gun-barrels under
contract with the East India Company and the Board of
Ordnance. The Crown Works for the manufacture of
boilers, and plate and sheet iron, employ about sixty
men. Smethwick is intersected by the Old Birmingham
canal with its greatly improved line of navigation, over
which are six bridges, and an aqueduct of cast-iron. One
of the bridges, called the Summit or Galton bridge, is a
stately structure, having a span of 150 feet.
A chapel, with a house for the minister, was erected
in 1732, by Mrs. Dorothy Parkes, who endowed it: the
living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of her
Trustees, and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Dales,
who resides in a handsome parsonage-house near the
chapel. A church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was
erected in 1838, at a cost of £4000, raised by subscription, aided by a grant of £400 from the London ChurchBuilding Society, and £750 from the Diocesan Society.
It is in the early English style, with a square embattled
tower crowned by pinnacles and surmounted by a lofty
spire, and contains 786 sittings, of which 400 are free.
By order of council dated the 11th of August, 1842, the
district attached to this church was erected into a separate ecclesiastical parish, under the designation of North
Harborne; the benefice has been constituted a vicarage,
and endowed with the tithes over 830 acres, and with
other funds. The Dean and Chapter of Lichfield are
patrons of the living. The parsonage-house, situated
behind the church, is a handsome residence of appropriate style; and opposite to it are the North Harborne
national schools, erected in 1840. There are places of
worship for Independents and Wesleyans; and, near
the chapel, a school endowed by Mrs. Parkes with property producing £8. 9. per annum. In the hamlet six
almshouses, and some land, is vested in trustees for the
benefit of the poor.
SMISBY, a parish, in the union of Ashby-de-laZouch, hundred of Repton and Gresley, S. division
of the county of Derby, 2½ miles (N. N. W.) from
Ashby; containing, with Bondary, extra-parochial, 337
inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £58; patron and impropriator, the Marquess of
Hastings. The tithes were commuted for land and a
money payment in 1820.