STRICKLAND, GREAT, a township in the parish
of Morland, West ward and union, county of Westmorland, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Morland; containing
277 inhabitants. This place takes its name from the
ancient family of Strickland, who were lords of the manor,
and resided here. From the Stricklands it passed, in
the reign of Henry VI., to the Fallowfields, whose
heiress carried it in marriage to the Dalstons, by whom
it was sold to Sir John Lowther. The Lancaster and
Carlisle railway passes by the place. The moduses and
the vicarial tithes were commuted for land in 1830;
and under the late act, certain appropriate tithes have
been commuted for a rent-charge of £81.14. 4½., payable
to the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. There is a meeting-house belonging to the Society of Friends.
STRICKLAND-KETEL, a township, in the parish,
union, and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland,
2 miles (N. by W.) from Kendal; containing 466 inhabitants. This township, with Strickland-Roger, constitutes the chapelry of Burneside. It is bounded on
the east by the Kent river, and comprises 2302a. 3r. 19p.,
whereof 1842 acres are arable, 400 pasture, and 32
woodland. The tithes have been commuted for £150.
2. 10½. The chapel of Burneside is situated within the
STRICKLAND, LITTLE, a township, in the chapelry of Thrimby, parish of Morland, West ward and
union, county of Westmorland, 3 miles (N. E.) from
Shap; containing 134 inhabitants. The chapel and
school-houses are situated here.
STRICKLAND-ROGER, a township, in the parish,
union, and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland,
4 miles (N.) from Kendal; containing 412 inhabitants.
It is bounded on the west by the river Kent, and on the
east by the Sprint; and comprises 3124a. 3r., of which
1291 acres are arable, 200 pasture, 33 woodland, and
about 1600 common now inclosed. Near Garnet-bridge
is a mill for the manufacture of bobbin, and at Cowen
Head is a paper-mill. The tithes have been commuted
for £102. 8. 8½. At a place called Hundhow was
anciently a chapel, named Chapel-en-le-Wood.
STRINGSTON, a parish, in the union of Williton,
hundred of Cannington, W. division of Somerset, 10
miles (W. N. W.) from Bridgwater; containing 143 inhabitants. It is near the road between Bridgwater and
Dunster, and comprises 1193 acres, of which 84 are
common or waste. Limestone is quarried, chiefly for
agricultural purposes. The living is a vicarage, united
to the rectory of Kilve: the tithes have been commuted
for £188. 10., and the glebe consists of 43 acres. There
is a place of worship for Baptists. The churchyard
contains a curious ancient cross, and in the neighbourhood is a fortification called Danes-burrow, or Douseborough, Castle, with a double embankment and wide
ditch; it is about three-quarters of a mile in circumference, and wholly covered with oak coppice-wood,
among which a prætorium may be distinctly traced.
Strixton (St. John the Baptist)
STRIXTON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in
the union of Wellingborough, hundred of HighamFerrers, N. division of the county of Northampton,
4¼ miles (S. by E.) from Wellingborough; containing 55
inhabitants. It comprises about 970 acres, and is varied
by a portion of hilly ground; the soil is in general cold
and heavy. The living is a discharged rectory, consolidated with the vicarage of Bozeat, and valued in the
king's books at £7. The church is a small edifice,
affording a good specimen of the early English style.
Strood (St. Nicholas)
STROOD (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of
North Aylesford, partly within the jurisdiction of
the city of Rochester, and partly in the hundred of
Shamwell, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent,
½ a mile (N. W.) from Rochester; containing 2881 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1492 acres, of which
279 are in wood, and 27 occupied by marsh. The village consists principally of one street, on the road from
London to Rochester, to which latter place it is joined
by a bridge over the Medway, at its eastern extremity.
The houses are irregularly built, and destitute of uniformity and respectability of appearance; but since
the last act of parliament for paving, watching, and
lighting the village, it has been considerably improved.
The adjoining heights command interesting and extensive prospects. The Rochester terminus of the Gravesend and Rochester railway is situated here. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in maritime pursuits, in the
fisheries on the Medway, and in dredging for oysters, of
which large quantities, as well as of shrimps, are sent to
the London and other markets. A fair is held on
August 26th and two following days, by grant of King
John; it has become very considerable. That part of
the parish called Strood Extra, which is not within the
city of Rochester, is under the jurisdiction of the county
magistrates. The living is a perpetual curacy; gross
income, about £240; patrons, the Dean and Chapter;
appropriator, the Bishop of Rochester. The church
was rebuilt in 1812, at the expense of the parishioners.
There is a place of worship for Independents. Francis
Barrel, Esq., residuary legatee of Sir John Hayward's
estate, in 1718 bequeathed £1100 for the endowment
of three charity schools, two to be in the parish of
St. Nicholas, Rochester, and one in Strood. On the
Temple farm are interesting remains of Strood Temple,
originally a preceptory for Knights Templars, and valued
at the Dissolution at £52. 6. 10. Of Strood hospital,
established by Bishop Gilbert de Glanville, in the reign
of Richard I., for infirm and indigent travellers, the
almonry (converted into a stable) and some other portions yet exist. About two miles from Strood, on the
London road, is Gadshill, celebrated by Shakspeare as the
scene of Falstaff's valorous exploits.
STROUD, a tything, in the parish of Cumner,
union of Abingdon, hundred of Hormer, county of
Berks; containing 58 inhabitants.
Stroud, or Stroudwater (St. Lawrence)
STROUD, or Stroudwater (St. Lawrence), a
newly-enfranchised borough, a market-town, a parish,
and the head of a union, in the hundred of Bisley, E.
division of the county of Gloucester, 10 miles (S. by
E.) from Gloucester, and 102 (W. by N.) from London;
containing, with the tythings of Upper and Lower Lyppiatt, Pakenhill, and Steanbridge, 8680 inhabitants.
The first notice of this place in any records extant
occurs in an agreement in 1304, between the rector of
Bisley and the inhabitants of La Stroud, which, at the
time of the Norman survey, formed part of Bisley parish.
The town derives its name from its situation on the
Slade or Stroud water, near the confluence, of that
stream with the Frome. It stands on a considerable
acclivity in the midst of a most beautiful country, and
consists principally of a long street extending up the
side of the hill, with another diverging from it at the
base. There are many handsome houses, and the inhabitants are well supplied with water conveyed by pipes
from two springs in the neighbourhood. The town has
been greatly improved in consequence of an act of parliament obtained within a few years, for paving, lighting,
and widening the streets; and new roads have been
formed in various directions, to connect it more closely
with contiguous towns.
Stroud has long been famous as the centre of the
woollen manufacture in Gloucestershire, and is supposed
to owe much of its prosperity to the peculiar properties
of the stream called the Stroud water, which is admirably adapted for dyeing scarlet, and which, consequently,
was the means of attracting at an early period many
clothiers and dyers to its banks. The inhabitants of
the surrounding villages are employed in different processes of this manufacture; and at the distance of a
mile from the town, on the Bath and Birmingham road,
are Light Pool Mills, an extensive establishment for
the manufacture of solid-headed pins, consisting of five
stories, each 100 feet long, and ingeniously adapted to
the making of pins without manual assistance. Here is
a station of the railway between Swindon and Gloucester, 24½ miles from the former town; and the
Thames and Severn canal passes on the south. The
market, which is well supplied, is on Friday; and there
are fairs on May 10th and August 21st, for cattle, sheep,
and pigs. Stroud has been constituted a borough, with
the privilege of sending two members to parliament,
the right of election being vested in the £10 householders of a manufacturing district comprising an area
of 42,356 acres: the returning officer is appointed by
the sheriff. The petty-sessions for the hundred are held
here, on the first and third Fridays in every month.
The powers of the county debt-court of Stroud, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of
The parish was separated from that of Bisley in the
reign of Edward II. It comprises 3711 acres, of which
1340 are arable, 1552 meadow and pasture, 797 woodland, and 22 waste and water. The living is a perpetual
curacy; net income, £132; patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol; impropriators, the family of Goodlake. There is an endowed lectureship, in the gift of
the parishioners. The church is a large building, erected
and enlarged at several different periods, with a tower at
its west end, surmounted by a lofty octangular spire.
A church dedicated to the Trinity, containing 1000
sittings, of which 700 are free, was built at Stroudshill
in 1839, in the early English style, with a bell-turret,
at a cost of £3170; of this sum, £500 were granted by
the Incorporated Society, and the remainder supplied
by the Church Commissioners and by subscription. St.
Paul's district church, at Whiteshill, was completed in
1841, the first stone having been laid November 18th,
1839; it is in the Norman style, and contains 500
sittings, of which 396 are free. The living of Stroudshill is in the gift of the Incumbent of Stroud, and that
of Whiteshill in the Bishop's gift. There are places
of worship for Particular Baptists, Independents, and
Wesleyans. Thomas Webb, in 1642, gave an endowment now amounting to about £54 per annum, by means
of which four boys are boarded and educated; and in
1734, Henry Windowe bequeathed £21 a year, for two
more. The union of Stroud comprises 15 parishes or
places, and contains a population of 38,920. Stroud
was the birthplace of John Canton, F.R.S., a celebrated
natural philsopher, who died in 1772; and of Joseph
White, D.D., professor of Arabic at Oxford, who died
in 1814: both were the sons of weavers.
STROUD-END, a tything, in the parish of Painswick, union of Stroud, hundred of Bisley, E. division
of the county of Gloucester; with 850 inhabitants.
Stroxton (All Saints)
STROXTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Grantham, wapentake of Winnibriggs and Threo,
parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 3¾ miles
(S. S. W.) from Grantham; containing 94 inhabitants.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's
books at £3. 8. 6½.; net income, £250; patron, Sir W.
E. Welby, Bart.
Strubby (St. Oswald)
STRUBBY (St. Oswald), a parish, in the union of
Louth, Wold division of the hundred of Calceworth,
parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 4 miles (N.) from
Alford; containing, with the hamlet of Woodthorpe,
268 inhabitants, and an area of 1995 acres. The living
is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean
and Chapter of Lincoln (the appropriators), valued in
the king's books at £4. 13. 4.; net income, £150. The
glebe contains 18 acres, and a glebe-house has just been
erected. The church is an ancient stone edifice to
which a brick tower was recently added. The family
of Ballot, who resided at Woodthorpe Hall, lie buried
in the church, and to the memory of one of them is a
stone in the wall near the south door, dated 1431; the
rest of the family, one of whom, an alderman of London
in the 16th century, died at the age of 99 years, were
buried within some beautiful wooden screen-work. The
Wesleyans have a place of worship.
Strumpshaw (St. Peter)
STRUMPSHAW (St. Peter), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Blofield, E. division of Norfolk, 1½
mile (S. E.) from Blofield; containing 412 inhabitants.
The parish is bounded on the south by the navigable
river Yare, and comprises 1391a. 28p., of which 851
acres are arable, 502 pasture, and the remainder water
and roads. The Norwich and Yarmouth railway intersects it. The village is seated on an eminence; and
in the parish is a windmill, standing on the highest
ground in the county, and forming a conspicuous landmark. The living is a discharged rectory, with that of
Braydeston united, valued in the king's books at £8;
net income, £474; patron, I. Josselyn, Esq. The glebe
contains about 64 acres, and there is a good house, considerably improved by the incumbent, the Rev. E. S.
Whitbread. The church contains portions in the early
and later English styles, with a lofty embattled tower.
STUBBY-LANE, a hamlet, in the parish of Hanbury, union of Burton, N. division of the hundred of
Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 4½ miles (S. E.)
from Uttoxeter; containing 137 inhabitants.
STUBLACH, a township, in the parish of Middlewich, union and hundred of Northwich, S. division of
the county of Chester, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Middlewich; containing 71 inhabitants, and comprising
346 acres, of which the soil is clay.
Stubton (St. Martin)
STUBTON (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of
Newark, wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven,
county of Lincoln, 6¾ miles (S. E. by E.) from Newark;
containing 170 inhabitants. The parish comprises
1152a. 3r. 30p. of land, chiefly the property of Sir
Robert Heron, Bart., who is lord of the manor; the
surface is varied, and the lower parts are watered by
streams tributary to the river Witham. Stubton Hall,
the seat of Sir Robert, is a spacious and handsome
modern mansion; in the grounds is an extensive collection of birds and quadrupeds. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £12. 3. 9., and in the gift
of Sir Robert: the tithes have been commuted for £270,
and the glebe comprises 44 acres. The present church,
a neat structure with a tower, was built in 1800. John
Hargrave, in 1680, bequeathed land now producing £58
per annum, for the repair of the church, and for the