Thwaite (All Saints)
THWAITE (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Aylsham, hundred of South Erpingham, E. division
of Norfolk, 4¾ miles (N.) from Aylsham; containing
170 inhabitants. The parish is high ground commanding fine views of the surrounding country, and comprises
601 acres, of which 49 are common or waste. The
living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books
at £7, and in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich: the
tithes have been commuted for £200; the glebe contains 7 acres. The church has a fine Norman entrance
on the south.
Thwaite (St. Mary)
THWAITE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Loddon, E. division of Norfolk, 3½ miles (N.) from Bungay; containing 110 inhabitants, and comprising about 500 acres.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's
books at £4, and in the gift of the Duke of Norfolk:
there is a glebe of 15 acres, and the tithes have been
commuted for £175. The church, which is chiefly in
the early style, has a rich Norman doorway.
Thwaite (St. George)
THWAITE (St. George), a parish, in the union and
hundred of Hartismere, W. division of Suffolk, 4¾
miles (S. W. by S.) from Eye; containing 176 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 800 acres. The
surface is flat, with a few slight undulations; the soil is
in some parts heavy, but in general fertile, and produces
grain of good quality. The village is situated on the
road from London to Norwich, through Ipswich, and
has a general post-office; petty-sessions are held here
monthly; and there are fairs for cattle on the 30th June
and 26th November. The living is a discharged rectory,
valued in the king's books at £6. 3. 5½., and in the gift
of J. Sheppard, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for
£240; the glebe contains 21½ acres.
THWAITES, a chapelry, in the parish of Millom,
union of Bootle, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W.
division of Cumberland, 10 miles (S. E.) from Ravenglass; containing 356 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £99; patrons, four Landowners in the chapelry. The chapel was rebuilt in 1715,
and dedicated to St. Anne in 1724.
Thwing (All Saints)
THWING (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Bridhngton, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of
York, 8 miles (W. N. W.) from Bridlington; containing,
with the township of Octon, 452 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 3600 acres of land, chiefly arable:
the village lies a short distance north of the road from
Bridlington to Sledmere. The living is a rectory, in
medieties, each valued in the king's books at £8. 12. 1.;
net income, £500; patron, the Crown. The tithes
were commuted for land and a money payment in 1769.
A few years since, the church, a very ancient edifice, was
repaired and beautified, and an east window of painted
glass added, at the expense of Robert Prickett, Esq.,
lord of the manor, who also erected a tablet in it to the
memory of Archbishop Lamplugh, a native of the parish.
The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have places of
Tibbenham (All Saints)
TIBBENHAM (All Saints), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Depwade, E. division of Norfolk, 5
miles (W. S. W.) from Stratton St. Mary; containing
749 inhabitants. It comprises 3286a. 33p., of which
2350 acres are arable, and 903 meadow and pasture.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £7. 6. 8., and in the gift of the Bishop of Ely:
the great tithes have been commuted for £769, and the
vicarial for £325; there is a parsonage-house, and the
vicarial glebe consists of 25 acres. The church is
chiefly in the later English style, with a lofty embattled
tower surmounted at the corners by representations
of the Four Evangelists; at the east end of the aisle
is a chapel dedicated to St. Nicholas. The proceeds of
an estate, amounting to £40 per annum, are applied
to the repairs of the edifice. The Primitive Methodists
have a place of worship. About a mile south-east
of the church is Chanons Hall, occupying the site of
the ancient manor-house of Chanons, which was a
very extensive structure surrounded by a moat. An old
building called the Guild Hall, now inhabited by poor
people, belonged to a religious fraternity.
Tibberton (Holy Trinity)
TIBBERTON (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union
of Newent, duchy of Lancaster, W. division of the
county of Gloucester, 4¼ miles (S. E.) from Newent;
containing 344 inhabitants. This place formed part of
the hundred of Botloe until the 30th of Edward III.,
when, Lancashire being made a county palatine, all the
estates of the Duke of Lancaster in this county, of
which Tibberton was one, were erected into a new hundred of the duchy. The parish comprises 1337a. 1r. 20p.;
the surface is varied, and the soil a stiff clay. A stream
called Tibberton brook falls into the river Leddon, in
the adjacent parish of Rudford; and the Herefordshire
and Gloucestershire canal passes on the eastern side of
this parish. The living is a discharged rectory, valued
in the king's books at £7. 16. 0½., and in the gift of
the Scott family: the tithes have been commuted for
£327, and the glebe comprises 5 acres.
TIBBERTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Edgmond, union of Droitwich, Newport division of the
hundred of South Bradford, N. division of Salop, 4¼
miles (W. by N.) from Newport; containing 329 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to All Saints. The
tithes, including those of Cherrington, have been commuted for £685, and there is a glebe of 43½ acres.
Tibberton (St. Nicholas)
TIBBERTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union
of Newport, Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Worcester and W. divisions of the county of
Worcester, 4 miles (E. N. E.) from Worcester; containing 339 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1202a.
1r. 26p. of land, of which two-thirds are arable, and
the remainder pasture; the surface is undulated, the
soil chiefly a good rich marl, and the scenery picturesque.
Some of the inhabitants are employed in making gloves
for the Worcester manufacturers. The Gloucester and
Birmingham railway passes through the parish, and the
Birmingham and Worcester canal along its northwestern boundary. The living is a discharged vicarage,
in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester
(the appropriators), valued in the king's books at
£3. 15. 10.; net income, £132. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1810; the glebe contains 72 acres. The church, an ancient structure, was
repewed and beautified in 1841. There is a place of
worship for Lady Huntingdon's Connexion; also a
Church Sunday school.
Tiberton (St. Mary)
TIBERTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Dore, hundred of Webtree, county of Hereford,
9 miles (W.) from Hereford; containing 152 inhabitants,
and comprising 1040 acres. The living is annexed to
the vicarage of Madley. The church, which is built
entirely of brick, contains a fine carved altar-piece, representing the instruments of the Crucifixion.
Tibshelf (St. John the Baptist)
TIBSHELF (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the
union of Mansfield, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division
of the county of Derby, 4 miles (N. E. by N.) from Alfreton; containing 791 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Mansfield to Matlock, and comprises 2400 acres, the whole of which, with the exception
of 500 acres belonging to the Duke of Devonshire, is the
property of St. Thomas's Hospital, by a grant of King
Edward VI. Stone of an inferior quality is quarried,
and used for building; coal-mines are worked to a
considerable extent, and many of the population are employed in weaving or seaming stockings. The village
consists of a long street. At Doe Hill and Hirst are pleasant residences, and at Biggin and Marlpits good farms.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £4. 5. 3., and in the gift, for the next turn, of
John Robert Sharpe, Esq.; net income, £172. There
is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains 42 acres.
The body of the church was rebuilt in 1727, in the
Grecian style; the tower and chancel are in the early
English style. Here is a chalybeate spring.
TIBTHORP, a township, in the parish of KirkBurn, union of Driffield, Bainton-Beacon division of
the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 5¼
miles (W. S. W.) from Driffield; containing 249 inhabitants. The township comprises about 2780 acres,
divided among several freeholders, of whom the Duke
of Devonshire is lord of the manor: the village is pleasantly situated on the eastern declivity of the Wolds, and
on the high road between Wetvvang and Bainton. The
tithes were commuted for land in 1794. There is a
place of worship for Wesleyans.
Ticehurst (St. Mary)
TICEHURST (St. Mary), a parish, and the head of
a union, in the hundred of Shoyswell, rape of Hastings, E. division of Sussex, 6 miles (S.) from Lamberhurst; containing 2465 inhabitants. It comprises
8197a. 2r. 36p., of which about 2600 acres are wood,
and 400 in hop-grounds; the surface is boldly undulated, and the scenery diversified. The village occupies a gentle eminence on the road from TonbridgeWells to Hastings, and in its immediate vicinity is
Highlands, the property of Charles Newington, Esq. An
agricultural association has been established; a cornmarket is held on Mondays, and there are cattle-fairs on
May 4th and October 7th. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £18. 7. 6.; net income, £350;
patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury: the incumbent has a house, with a glebe of about 12 acres.
The church is principally in the decorated style of English architecture, and consists of a nave, aisles, chancel,
and two chapels, with an embattled tower surmounted
by a low spire. A district church dedicated to St.
Peter, was erected in 1838, at Stonegate, at a cost of
about £1100, by Mrs. Courthope and her son G. C.
Courthope, Esq., of Whiligh, by whom it was also endowed with £1000; it is in the early English style.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of Mr.
Courthope. Another district church in the same style,
dedicated to St. Augustine, was erected in 1839, at
Flimwell, by subscription; and Mrs. Maryatt, who contributed largely towards its erection, endowed it with
£1000: it is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Bishop
of Chichester, with a total net income of £100. The
Wesleyans and Baptists have places of worship. The
poor-law union comprises 8 parishes or places, and
contains a population of 14,197.
Tichfield, Hampshire.—See Titchfield.
TICHFIELD, Hampshire.—See Titchfield.
Tickencote (St. Peter)
TICKENCOTE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union
of Oakham, hundred of East, county of Rutland,
3 miles (N. W. by W.) from Stamford; containing 111
inhabitants. It is situated on the road from London to
York, and comprises 1270 acres. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 5. 8.,
and in the gift of John Wingfield, Esq.: the tithes have
been commuted for £162. 9., and the glebe comprises 3½
acres. The church was in the earliest Norman style,
but has been partially rebuilt: Stukeley says, "it is the
most venerable church extant, and was the entire oratory of Prince Peada, founder of Peterborough Abbey."
Tickenham (St. Quiricus and St. Julietta)
TICKENHAM (St. Quiricus and St. Julietta), a
parish, in the union of Bedminster, hundred of Portbury, E. division of Somerset, 9 miles (W. by S.) from
Bristol; containing 423 inhabitants. The parish is
situated on the road from Bristol to Clevedon, and comprises 1627a. 30p. Limestone of good quality is quarried
for building, the repair of roads, and agricultural use;
and small portions of lead have been found. The Nailsea station on the Bristol and Exeter railway is a mile
to the south. The living is a discharged vicarage, united
to that of Portbury, and valued in the king's books at
£8. 15. 5.: the vicarial tithes have been commuted for
£150. About a mile north of the church are the remains
of a double intrenched Roman camp.
Tickhill (St. Mary)
TICKHILL (St. Mary), a market-town and parish,
in the union of Doncaster, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York;
containing, with the township of Stancill with Wellingley
and Wilsick, 2040 inhabitants, of whom 1981 are in Tickhill township, 45 miles (S.) from York, and 157 (N. by W.)
from London. This manor was given by William the
Conqueror to Roger de Busli, who erected or rebuilt the
castle, which, with the honour of Tickhill, being subsequently forfeited, was granted by King Stephen to the
Count of Eu, in Normandy. The property afterwards
reverted to the crown, and was bestowed by Richard I.
upon his brother, Prince John. In the reign of Henry
III., it was restored to the then Count of Eu, but, after
several changes, became again vested in the crown, in
the time of Henry IV. At the commencement of the
great civil war, the castle, at that time considered a
very strong fortress, was garrisoned for the king, and,
after a siege of two days, was surrendered to the assailants, and eventually dismantled by order of parliament.
The town is situated in a fertile valley, close to the
river Torn, on the border of the county of Nottingham,
and on the roads between Doncaster and Worksop, and
Bawtry and Sheffield, which here cross each other.
The streets are neat and spacious, and the houses in
general of respectable appearance, but built in a straggling manner; the inhabitants are well supplied with
water. The trade in malt was formerly large, and at
present there are several very extensive kilns, three cornmills, and a paper-manufactory. The market, held on
Friday, was for some years discontinued, but was
revived in 1836; and a fair is held on the second
Friday in October, for cattle, and various articles of
merchandise: the market-cross is a circular building of
stone, erected in 1776, in the centre of the town.
Manorial courts leet and baron are held annually.
The parish comprises 5336a. 21p., of which 1000 acres
are pasture, 56 woodland, and the remainder arable;
the soil, a sandy loam, is generally fertile, and the greater
part of a large tract of peat-moss has been brought under
profitable cultivation. The substrata are chiefly limestone, clay, and red-sandstone.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the
king's books at £7. 2. 6.; net income, £261; patron and
impropriator, G. S. Foljambe, Esq.: the vicarial tithes
were commuted for land in 1765. The church is a
handsome structure in the later English style, with a fine
tower: it was greatly injured by lightning in 1825, but
afterwards underwent a complete repair, at an expense
of £1950. In the chancel is an altar, or altar-tomb,
ornamented at the sides with large quatrefoils: on the
wall near it, is a brass plate with an inscription to the
memory of William Eastfield, seneschal of the lordship
of Holderness, and of the honour of Tickhill, who died
in 1386; and at the east end of the south aisle is an
alabaster monument with the effigies of a knight and his
lady. All these have evidently been brought hither from
other places, perhaps from decayed religious houses.
There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. Near the church is a Maison de Dieu, of uncertain foundation, comprising fourteen almshouses for
widows. The remains of the castle, on the south-east
side of the town, consist of the mound, on which the
foundations of the keep are visible; the ditch, with part
of the external walls; and a dilapidated Norman gateway: the northern part has been converted into a
modern residence, and the ground within the walls
formed into gardens and shrubberies. The ruins of an
Augustine priory, established in the reign of Henry III.,
and situated in an adjacent vale, have been made into a
farmhouse. John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, resided
at Tickhill Castle.
Ticknall, otherwise Tickenhall (St. Thomas à Becket)
TICKNALL, otherwise Tickenhall (St. Thomas à
Becket), a parish, in the union of Ashby-de-laZouch, hundred of Repton and Gresley, S. division
of the county of Derby, 9½ miles (S.) from Derby;
containing 1271 inhabitants. The parish is situated on
the road from Derby to Ashby, and comprises 1860a.
1r. 19p., mostly pasture, with some woodland; it is of
a clayey soil on the south side, and a light loam on the
north and north-west. Extensive lime-works are in
operation, affording employment to many of the population, and there are tramways for conveying the lime to
various parts. About three-quarters of a mile south of
the village is a manufactory of brown earthenware.
The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £262;
patron and impropriator, Sir John HarpurCrewe, Bart.;
a parsonage-house was built in 1839, and there is a
glebe of about 70½ acres, valued at £140. The church
was rebuilt in 1842, at a cost of £4000; it is in the
early English style, and consists of a nave, chancel,
aisles, and a tower and handsome spire, with a beautiful
east window of stained glass. Here are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. A school-house was
erected by Dame Catherine Harpur, who, in 1744, conveyed for its support some land now producing an
income of £25; the premises were rebuilt in 1825, at
the expense of Sir George Crewe. An hospital for
seven decayed housekeepers was founded in 1771, by
Charles Harpur, Esq., who gave £500 for building it,
and endowed it with £2000, now yielding £70 per
annum. Lady Crewe supports a girls' school of 40
Tickton, with Hull-Bridge
TICKTON, with Hull-Bridge, a township, in the
parish of St. John, Beverley, union, and liberties of
the borough, of Beverley, E. riding of York, 2½ miles
(N. E.) from Beverley; containing 251 inhabitants, of
whom 193 are in Tickton. The hamlet of Tickton was
in possession of the church of St. John at Beverley so
early as the time of Athelstan, and is returned in
Domesday book as a berewick belonging to the archbishop, in Holderness. It is situated a little east of the
Hull river, and Hull-bridge derives its name from
a bridge at that place over the river. The township
comprises 700 acres, nearly all arable land: the surface
is level, interspersed with ornamental plantations; the
soil in the carrs is of a vegetable quality, imbedded with
numerous trees, and in other parts is found a kind of
loam. On the river is a commodious wharf. A church
was erected in 1843, at a cost of £800, by public subscription. There is a place of worship for Primitive
Methodists. On the lands of S. Wonnald, Esq., is a
strong chalybeate spring, which forces itself upwards, a
height of two yards, in the manner of a fountain.