Tilney (All Saints)
TILNEY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Wisbech, hundred of Freebridge-Marshland, W.
division of Norfolk, 4½ miles (W. S. W.) from Lynn;
containing 441 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2578a.
7p., of which 1451 acres are arable, 1064 meadow and
pasture, and the remainder homesteads and roads; the
soil is fertile, and the pastures luxuriantly rich. The
living is a vicarage, with that of Tilney St. Lawrence
annexed, valued in the king's books at £30, and in the
patronage of the Master and Fellows of Pembroke College, Cambridge, who, with others, are impropriators.
The great tithes of the two parishes have been commuted
for £1055, and the vicarial tithes for £307, with a glebe
of 60 acres, and a handsome house, rebuilt by the Rev.
C. Currie, the present vicar. The church is a venerable
Norman structure, with a lofty embattled tower in the
later English style, surmounted by a spire; the nave is
separated from the aisles by fine Norman arches, springing from massive columns, and the roof is elaborately
groined. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Dr. John Aylmer, Bishop of London, who died in 1594,
was a native of the parish.
Tilney (St. Lawrence)
TILNEY (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of
Wisbech, hundred of Freebridge-Marshland, W.
division of Norfolk, 5½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Lynn;
containing 762 inhabitants. It comprises 3461a. 30p., of
which 2079 acres are arable, 1284 meadow and pasture,
and the remainder homesteads and roads. The living is
a vicarage, annexed to that of Tilney All Saints. The
church is a handsome structure, principally in the later
English style, with a square embattled tower: it was
restored at the cost of £2000, by Miss Mary Mann, and
re-consecrated in Sept. 1846. There are places of worship for Calvinists and Primitive Methodists.
Tilney cum Islington.—See Islington.
TILNEY cum Islington.—See Islington.
Tilshead (St. Thomas à Becket)
TILSHEAD (St. Thomas à Becket), a parish, in
the union of Amesbury, hundred of Branch and Dole,
Devizes and S. divisions of Wilts, 10 miles (S. by E.)
from Devizes; containing 426 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Devizes to Salisbury, and comprises 3751a. 3r. 31p., of which about 2377 acres are
arable, 1247 pasture, and 90 in plantations; the soil is
light and chalky. The parish forms part of Salisbury
Plain. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in
the king's books at £7. 16., and in the patronage of the
Crown; net income, £216; impropriator, G. W.Taylor,
Esq. The great tithes of the new inclosures, and all the
vicarial tithes, those on mills excepted, were commuted
for land in 1811. The church, which is very ancient,
contains 400 sittings. The downs near the village were
celebrated for great numbers of bustards, the last of
which, taken alive in 1801 after having attacked a man
on horseback, weighed upwards of 20 pounds, and measured 5 feet from the extremities of its wings. Fossil
sponge is found in the neighbourhood, and madrepores
are largely collected in flint-stones.
Tilsop, with Weston.—See Weston.
TILSOP, with Weston.—See Weston.
TILSTOCK; a chapelry, in the parish of Whitchurch, Whitchurch division of the hundred of North
Bradford, N. division of Salop, 2½ miles (S.) from
Whitchurch; containing 637 inhabitants. It is situated
on the road from Shrewsbury to Chester, and is about
3 miles long, and l½ broad. Whitchurch heath, comprehended within its limits, is a fine open common,
crossed by the road. The soil is in general rich and
gravelly, and the Ellesmere and Chester canal passes
through the chapelry. The living is a perpetual curacy,
with a net income of £87, in the patronage of the Trustees of the Earl of Bridgewater: a glebe-house has been
built, and the glebe contains 125 acres. The present
chapel, dedicated to St. Giles, was built in 1834, by a
bequest from Francis, Earl of Bridgewater, who was
rector of Whitchurch. There are places of worship for
Wesleyans and Independents; and a national school
has been erected upon the site of the former chapel,
which was remarkable for its antiquity, and was surrounded by very fine old yew-trees.
Tilston (St. Mary)
TILSTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Great Boughton, Higher division of the hundred of
Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester; containing, with the townships of Carden, Grafton, Hortonby-Malpas, and Stretton, 923 inhabitants, of whom 450
are in Tilston township, 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from
Malpas. In the township are 742 acres, the soil of
which is partly clay and partly sand. The Chester
canal passes close to the village. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £12. 2. 11.; net income,
£333; patrons, the Marquess of Cholmondeley, and
T. T. Drake, Esq. The tithes of the township have
been commuted for £76, and the glebe consists of 38
acres. A national school is supported partly by an endowment of £16 per annum.
TILSTON-FERNALL, a township, in the parish of
Bunbury, union of Nantwich, First division of the
hundred of Eddisbury, S. division of the county of
Chester, 2¾ miles (S. S. E.) from Tarporley; containing
189 inhabitants. It comprises 821 acres, the soil of
which is partly clay and partly sand. A church was
built in the year 1836, and endowed at the expense of
John Tollemache, Esq.; it is a brick edifice cased with
white stone, in the later English style. The living is in
the gift of the Tollemache family. The impropriate
tithes have been commuted for £70, payable to the
Haberdashers' Company, London.
Tilsworth (All Saints)
TILSWORTH (All Saints), a parish, in the union
of Woburn, hundred of Manshead, county of Bedford, 3½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Dunstable; containing 311 inhabitants. It adjoins the road from Dunstable to Fenny-Stratford, and comprises about 1220
acres of arable, pasture, and woodland; the surface is
varied, and the scenery pleasing. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; net
income, £60; patron and impropriator, Sir G. O. Page
Turner, Bart. The small tithes have been commuted for
£31. 10. The church stands on rising ground, is in
the pointed style, and contains several old monuments
of the Fowler family, one to Sir Henry Chester, K.B.,
and an ancient altar-tomb with a French inscription and
the effigy of Adam de Tullesworth in sacerdotal robes.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Tilton (St. Peter)
TILTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Billesdon, partly in the hundred of Gartree, but chiefly
in that of East Goscote, N. division of the county of
Leicester, 8¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Oakham; containing, with the townships of Halstead and Marefield,
and the hamlet of Whatborough, 408 inhabitants, of
whom 190 are in Tilton township. The living is a
vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 16. 8., and
in the patronage of the Rev. George Greaves: the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £174, and the impropriate for £52. The church is partly in the later
English style. Here was an hospital, which Sir William
Burdett annexed to Burton-Lazars hospital in the time
of Henry II.
Tilts, with Langthwaite, West riding of York.—See Langthwaite.
TILTS, with Langthwaite, West riding of York.
Tilty (St. Mary)
TILTY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Dunmow, N. division of Essex, 3 miles (S. by
W.) from Thaxted; containing 96 inhabitants. The
living is a donative; net income, £30; patron and impropriator, Viscount Maynard. The church constitutes
the remains of an abbey church, and is a fine specimen
of the decorated English style: the east and north
windows present remarkably elegant tracery; there are
some rich stalls in the chancel, and several ancient and
interesting monuments. The abbey was founded about
1152, by Robert Ferrers, Earl of Derby, and Maurice
Fitz-Jeffery, for White monks, whose revenue at the
Dissolution was valued at £177. 9. 4.
Timberland (St. Andrew)
TIMBERLAND (St. Andrew), a parish, in the
union of Sleaford, First division of the wapentake of
Langoe, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 10
miles (N. N. E.) from Sleaford; containing, with the
townships of Martin and Thorpe-Tilney, 1649 inhabitants, of whom 597 are in Timberland township. An
act was passed in 1839, for the more effectual drainage
of the fen and dales of Timberland. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12.
2. 11.; net income, £216; patron and impropriator,
Sir T. Whichcote, Bart. The tithes were commuted for
land and annual money payments in 1774 and 1794.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Timberscombe (St. Michael)
TIMBERSCOMBE (St. Michael), a parish, in the
union of Williton, hundred of Carhampton, W. division of Somerset, 2½ miles (W. S. W.) from Dunster;
containing 476 inhabitants. The parish includes a small
fertile valley surrounded by high hills, and is traversed
by the road from Dunster to Dulverton; it comprises by
admeasurement 1432 acres. The soil is in some parts
gravelly, in others stony; and good stone is quarried for
building. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the
patronage of the Bishop of Bath and Wells, valued in
the king's books at £6. 10.; net income, £170. There
is a parsonage-house; the glebe consists of about 3½
acres, and the impropriator possesses 43 acres. The
church has an embattled tower surmounted by a low
spire, which are much more ancient than the body of
the edifice; the nave is separated from the chancel by a
handsome screen, in excellent preservation. Richard
Ellsworth, in 1714, bequeathed £200 towards building
a school-house, and an annuity of £20 for clothing and
educating children; it was not erected till 1824, and the
endowment having accumulated to £50 per annum,
about 60 children are instructed and clothed. Here are
two strong chalybeate springs.
TIMBLE, GREAT, a township, in the parish of
Fewston, Lower division of the wapentake of Claro,
W. riding of York, 6 miles (N. by W.) from Otley;
containing 206 inhabitants. The township comprises
nearly 1500 acres, divided into numerous farms.
TIMBLE, LITTLE, a township, in the parish of
Otley, Upper division of the wapentake of Claro, W.
riding of York, 5½ miles (N.) from Otley; containing
63 inhabitants. It comprises about 420 acres of land,
pleasantly situated in the vale of the Washburn. Here
is the ruin of a once handsome mansion, of which no
account is preserved.
TIMPERLEY, a township, in the parish of Bowdon,
union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 1¾ mile (N. E. by E.)
from Altrincham; containing 947 inhabitants. It comprises 1571 acres; the soil is partly clay and partly
sand. A church has been built containing 500 sittings,
340 of which are free. The vicarial tithes have been
commuted for £49; and the appropriate for £225. 17.,
payable to the Bishop of Chester. A school is supported
by the interest of £300, presented by Mrs. Jane Houghton,
who also gave £100 for purchasing bibles and prayerbooks.
Timsbury (St. Mary)
TIMSBURY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Clutton, hundred of Chew, E. division of Somerset,
8 miles (S. W.) from Bath; containing 1666 inhabitants.
The parish is situated about 1¼ mile from the road between Bath and Wells, and comprises 1148a. 1r. 31p.,
of which 132 acres are arable, and 983 pasture; the soil
is rich, and elm and ash grow luxuriantly. Several
coal-mines are worked. The Somerset coal canal commences at the south-western extremity of the parish,
and passes along its southern boundary. The living is
a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 19. 9½.,
and in the gift of Balliol College, Oxford: the tithes
have been commuted for £283; there is a parsonagehouse, and the glebe comprises 64 acres. The church
was rebuilt on an enlarged scale, in 1825, at a cost
of £2110, of which sum the Incorporated Society granted
£250; it contains 606 sittings. Here are places of worship for Wesleyans, Independents, and Baptists.
Timsbury (St. Andrew)
TIMSBURY (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of
Romsey, hundred of King's-Sombourn, Andover and
N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 2½ miles
(N. by W.) from Romsey; containing 223 inhabitants.
It is situated on the Romsey and Stockbridge road, and
comprises 1384a. 1r. 17p., of which 797 acres are arable,
499 meadow and pasture, and 87 wood. The Andover
canal has a wharf here; and the river Test, celebrated
for its trout, adorns the finely-wooded undulations
between which its bright and rapid stream passes.
Extensive views are obtained from the high grounds,
embracing the abbey church of Romsey, and many other
interesting objects. The living is a vicarage, with a net
income of £64, including a payment of £34 made by the
patrons, J. Fleming and W. Chamberlayne, Esqrs., who
present alternately; the latter is impropriator, and holds
all the glebe land. The church is built of flint, and has
a wooden belfry; here is a piscina in good preservation,
and the chancel, which is very elegant, contains two fine
wainscot pews in the form of stalls.
Timworth (St. Andrew)
TIMWORTH (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union
of Thingoe, hundred of Thedwastry, W. division of
Suffolk, 4¼ miles (N. by E.) from Bury St. Edmund's;
containing 212 inhabitants. The living is a rectory,
consolidated with the rectory of Ingham, and valued in
the king's books at £9. 17. 11.