TREMAYNE, a parish, in the union of Launceston, N. division of the hundred of East, E. division of
Cornwall, 6¾ miles (W. N. W.) from Launceston; containing 107 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual
curacy, annexed to that of Egloskerry: the tithes have
been commuted for £83. 14.
Treneglos (St. Werburgh)
TRENEGLOS (St. Werburgh), a parish, in the
union of Launceston, hundred of Lesnewth, E. division of Cornwall, 7½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Camelford; containing 192 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2362 acres, of which 700 are common or waste
land; the surface is hilly, and the soil light. The living
is a vicarage, with that of Warbstow annexed, valued in
the king's books at £9. 9. 7., and in the patronage of
the Crown in right of the duchy of Cornwall; net income, £187; impropriator, the Earl of St. Germans.
The great tithes of Treneglos have been commuted for
£63.15., and the vicarial for £90; there is a parsonagehouse, and the glebe contains 20 acres. On the moors
are several ancient barrows.
Trent (St. Andrew)
TRENT (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of
Sherborne, hundred of Horethorne, E. division of
Somerset, 4 miles (W. N. W.) from Sherborne; containing 505 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 1590 acres, of which 460 are arable, and 943 pasture. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £23. 5. 5., and in the gift of Corpus Christi
College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for
£460; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains
48 acres. The church, in the later English style, has
a tower at the south-east corner, surmounted by an
hexagonal spire, and contains 355 sittings. A chapel at
Adbeer, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, was demolished
in the civil war. John Young, in I678, bequeathed
£1000 for the erection and endowment of a free school;
the annual income is about £95.
Trentham (St. Mary)
TRENTHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Stone, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of
the county of Stafford; containing, with the two chapelries or parishes of Blurton with Lightwood-Forest,
and Handford, and the townships of Butterton, ClaytonGriffith, and Handchurch, 2567 inhabitants, of whom
655 are in Trentham township, 4 miles (S. S. E.) from
Newcastle. This place, anciently Trichingham, at a very
early period of the Saxon era had a small nunnery, of
which St. Werburga, sister of Ethelred, King of Mercia,
was abbess. She died in 683, and the establishment
appears to have subsequently gone to decay; but in
the 12th century it was refounded as a priory, for
canons of the order of St. Augustine, by the second
Earl of Chester; and its possessions were augmented
by several of his successors, so that at its dissolution in
the reign of Henry VIII., it was valued at £121. 3. 2.
per annum. The revenue arose chiefly from land in
the vicinity, which was granted by the king to William,
Duke of Suffolk, and which was subsequently purchased,
together with the site of the priory, by the Leveson
family, whose heiress carried their large possessions to
the family of Gower. The parish, which altogether
comprises 7236a. 1r. 3p. of land, was lately divided into
three distinct and separate parishes, under the 16th
section of the act 58th George III. The Trent and
Mersey canal passes through the district, and the road
from Newcastle to Stone also intersects it. The village
is small but handsome, and lies on the east bank of the
river Trent, whence the name of the parish.
Trentham Hall, the superb mansion of the Duke
of Sutherland, is delightfully situated near the village
and the river. It was erected somewhat more than a
century ago, after the model of the then Buckingham
House, in St. James' Park; but was considerably altered
and improved by the first Marquess of Stafford, from
the chaste and elegant designs of Holland, who gave
new and magnificent features to the whole. The building is constructed chiefly of brick, the front being covered
with Egyptian cement, similar to stone; the interior
harmonizes with the splendid exterior, and the fine suite
of state apartments contain a most valuable collection
of paintings, though his grace's picture-gallery is at his
town residence. The park comprises 500 acres, with
extensive gardens and pleasure-grounds. The river
expands within it into a fine lake, whose banks are in
some places thickly covered with trees, that hang over
the margin of the water, and produce a picturesque effect.
Near the eastern side of the mansion is an orangery,
close to which the lake is crossed by a handsome iron
bridge of one arch 90 feet in span.
The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £113;
patron and impropriator, the Duke of Sutherland. The
church, which was originally a part of the monastery
already mentioned, stands close to the Hall, and is a
small edifice accommodating about 450 persons: the
tower was taken down about a century since. Besides
this church and the churches of Blurton and Handford,
is an incumbency at Butterton. Near the high road is
a mausoleum erected by the late duke as the family
cemetery, a massive pyramidal pile of stone, two stories
in height, the upper part having a bell, and surmounted
by a cross: in the interior are twenty catacombs on
each side, faced with marble, and an apartment for the
funeral service. Lady Katharine Leveson in 1670 left
£400 for instruction; the interest, £20 yearly, is paid
by the duke to a schoolmaster, who teaches all the
poor children of the parish at reduced charges. The
same lady left £30 per annum towards clothing and
maintaining three widows, and £20 a year for apprenticing boys. There are several other charities. Trentham
gives the title of Viscount to the Duke of Sutherland.
Trentishoe (St. Peter)
TRENTISHOE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union
of Barnstaple, hundred of Braunton, Braunton and
N. divisions of Devon, 10 miles (E. by N.) from Ilfracombe; containing 132 inhabitants. It is bounded on
the north by the Bristol Channel, and comprises 1300
acres, of which 650 are common or waste. The living
is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at
£8. 8. 4., and has a net income of £118; it is in the
patronage of Mrs. A. W. Griffiths. The glebe contains
35 acres. The church is a very small edifice.
TRENT-VALE, an ecclesiastical district, in the
township of Penkhull, parish and union of Stokeupon-Trent, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill
and of the county of Stafford, 2 miles (S. E.) from
Newcastle; containing about 800 inhabitants. The district is bounded on the eastern and south-eastern sides
by the Trent, and on the western side by the Lyme. It
lies on the road from Newcastle to Stone; and the
Newcastle canal passes through. The soil is a good
stiff clay, and the scenery very picturesque. Bricks,
roofing-tiles, and a material for flooring, are made here
in great quantities from a peculiar kind of clay, affording employment to about 250 persons. The living is a
perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector of Stoke,
with an income of £100 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The church, dedicated to St. John the
Evangelist, is a cruciform structure in the early English
style, built in 1844, at a cost of £1230, on a site given
by Thomas Fenton, Esq., of Stoke Lodge: it contains
398 sittings, of which 286 are free. This is the third
church erected in the township, the others being at
Penkhull and Hartshill. There is a place of worship for
Wesleyan Methodists; and attached to the church is a
TREPRENAL, a township, in the parish of Llanymynech, hundred of Oswestry, N. division of Salop,
5 miles (S.) from Oswestry; with 21 inhabitants.
Trescott, with Pirton.—See Pirton.
TRESCOTT, with Pirton.—See Pirton.
TRESHAM, a chapelry, in the parish of Hawkesbury, union of Chipping-Sodbury, Upper division of
the hundred of Grumbald's-Ash, W. division of the
county of Gloucester, 3½ miles (S. E. by E.) from
Wotton-under-Edge; containing 296 inhabitants. The
tithes were partially commuted for land in 1818.
Tresmeer (St. Nicholas)
TRESMEER (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union
of Launceston, N. division of the hundred of East, E.
division of Cornwall, 7½ miles (W. by N.) from Launceston; containing 182 inhabitants. It comprises 1344
acres, of which 108 are common or waste. The river
Ottery separates the parish on the north from that of
North Petherwin, and the road from Launceston to
Camelford passes through it. Stone is quarried for
building, and there are mines of manganese, but not at
present worked. A small fair for cattle and sheep is
held on the 20th of July. The living is a perpetual
curacy, with a net income of £85; it is in the patronage
of the Crown. The tithes have been commuted for
£130. The church was erected about the year 1486,
and is now much dilapidated. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Treswell (St. John the Baptist)
TRESWELL (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in
the union of East Retford, South-Clay division of the
wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of
Nottingham, 5 miles (E. by S.) from East Retford;
containing 228 inhabitants. The parish consists of
1721 acres: the soil is a fertile clay, except at the east
end, where it joins the Trent marsh and is sandy. The
living is a rectory, formerly in two portions, which were
united in 1764; the eastern is valued in the king's
books at £8. 1. 4., and the western at £9. 15. 8.: net
income, £254; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of York.
The church is ancient, with a lofty embattled tower.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
TRETILLA, a township, in the parish of Llangarran, poor-law union of Ross, Lower division of the
hundred of Wormelow, county of Hereford; containing 132 inhabitants.
Tretire (St. Mary)
TRETIRE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Ross, Lower division of the hundred of Wormelow,
county of Hereford, 5¾ miles (W.) from Ross; containing 135 inhabitants, and comprising 1326 acres.
The living is a rectory, with the rectory of MichaelChurch united, valued in the king's books at £6. 1. 8.,
and in the gift of Guy's Hospital, London: the tithes
of Tretire have been commuted for £259. 12., and there
is a parsonage-house, with a glebe of 2 acres.
TREVALGA, a parish, in the union of Camelford,
hundred of Lesnewth, E. division of Cornwall, 4
miles (N. by W.) from Camelford; containing 184 inhabitants. It is bounded on the north-west by the Bristol
Channel, and comprises by admeasurement 1290 acres,
of which one-third is pasture, and about. 150 acres furze
and coarse land; the surface is hilly, and the soil various. There are some quarries of slate. The living is
a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at
£7. 6. 0½.; net income, £146; patrons, the Dean and
Chapter of Exeter: the glebe consists of about 20 acres.
The church contains 300 sittings.
Trevena.—See Bossiney with Trevena.
TREVENA.—See Bossiney with Trevena.
Trevethan (St. Cadocus)
TREVETHAN (St. Cadocus), a parish, in the union
and division of Pont-y-Pool, hundred of Abergavenny,
county of Monmouth; containing, with the markettown of Pont-y-pool, 14,942 inhabitants. It comprises
8212 acres, of which 4095 are common or waste. The
Monmouthshire and Brecon canals, and numerous tramroads, pass through. The inhabitants are employed in the
extensive mines of iron and coal with which the neighbourhood abounds; in burning lime; and in the large
iron-works at Pont-y-Pool and in its vicinity. The
British Mining Company established furnaces at the
Varteage, three miles from Pont-y-Pool, and buildings
for the overseers and workmen were erected in almost
every direction; but these works were lately stopped.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Bishop
of Llandaff. The church, a very ancient building, was
pulled down in the early part of 1846, and a new edifice
forthwith erected. There is a separate incumbency at
Pont-y-Pool, and churches have been erected at Aberyschan and Pontnewyndd, both which are presented to by
the incumbent of Trevethan. Charles Price, in 1826,
bequeathed £200, the interest to be appropriated in supplying bread to the poor.
TREVILLE, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union
of Dore, Upper division of the hundred of Wormelow,
county of Hereford, 6½ miles (N. W. by N.) from
Ross; containing 101 inhabitants, and comprising an
area of 1560 acres.
TREWARLET, a hamlet, in the parish of Lezant,
union of Launceston, N. division of the hundred of
East, E. division of Cornwall; with 47 inhabitants.
Trewen (St. Michael)
TREWEN (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of
Launceston, N. division of the hundred of East, E.
division of Cornwall, 5¼ miles (W. by S.) from Launceston; containing 221 inhabitants. The living is a
joint vicarage with South Petherwin: the great tithes
of the parish have been commuted for £67, and the
small for £47. Fairs for colts, sheep, and lambs, are
held on May 1st and October 10th.
TREWHITT, a township, in the parish and union of
Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland; containing 130 inhabitants. High Trewhitt is 4¼ miles (N. W.) and Low
Trewhitt 4½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Rothbury. These
places were in the time of James I. possessed by Sir
Ephraim Widdrington: the family of Clavering held the
former in the reign of Charles I., but forfeited it by their
attachment to the Stuarts. Low Trewhitt lies at the
foot of a declivity, on the west side of the Wreigh burn;
while High Trewhitt is seated on an eminence about a
mile to the north-east.
TREWICK, a township, in the parish of Bolam,
union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of
Northumberland, 7½ miles (S. W.) from Morpeth;
containing 21 inhabitants. This place was a member of
the barony of Bolam, and in 1240 was holden of it by
the soccage service of half a mark by Robert de Trewick,
of whose family notices continue to occur till the 14th
century: of subsequent owners have been the families
of Bekering, Loraine, and Middleton. The township
occupies the north side of the Blyth river, and comprises
708 acres. The impropriate tithes have been commuted
for £61. 19., and the vicarial for £9. 9. 6.
TREYFORD, a parish, in the union of Midhurst,
hundred of Dumpford, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 4 miles (S. W. by W.) from Midhurst;
containing 155 inhabitants. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £7. 12. 1., and annexed
to that of Elstead. Contiguous to the Downs are several
circular and conical barrows.