TUBNEY, a parish, in the union of Abingdon,
hundred of Ock, county of Berks, 4¼ miles (W. by N.)
from Abingdon; containing 190 inhabitants, and comprising 1124a. 2r. 36p. The living is a sinecure rectory, valued in the king's books at £3. 1. 10½., and in
the gift of Magdalen College, Oxford: the tithes have
been commuted for £147. 10., and the glebe contains 10
acres. The church has been demolished, and on the
induction of a rector, the ceremony takes place in the
open air. The parishioners attend Fyfield church.
TUCKTON, a tything, in the parish, union, and
hundred of Christchurch, Ringwood and Southern
divisions of the county of Southampton; containing
Tuddenham (St. Martin)
TUDDENHAM (St. Martin), a parish, in the union
of Woodbridge, hundred of Carlford, E. division of
Suffolk, 3 miles (N. E. by N.) from Ipswich; containing 423 inhabitants, and comprising by admeasurement
1232 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £10. 13. 4.; patron, Mrs. Lillingston. The great tithes have been commuted for £220,
the vicarial for £110, and there are three acres of glebe.
The north doorway of the church is a richly-moulded
Norman arch; the font has the date 1363 inscribed
Tuddenham (St. Mary)
TUDDENHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Mildenhall, hundred of Lackford, W. division of
Suffolk, 3 miles (S. E. by S.) from Mildenhall; containing 428 inhabitants, and comprising by admeasurement 2583 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £10. 17. 6., and in the gift of the Marquess of Bristol: the tithes have been commuted for
£360; the glebe comprises 17 acres. John Cockerton,
in 1723, founded a free school, and endowed it with an
estate now producing a rental of £70.
Tuddenham, East (All Saints)
TUDDENHAM, EAST (All Saints), a parish, in
the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of
Mitford, W. division of Norfolk, 8½ miles (W. N. W.)
from Norwich; containing 556 inhabitants. It comprises 2065a. 3r. 35p., of which 1629 acres are arable,
359 meadow and pasture, and 44 woodland: the village
is pleasantly situated on the road from Norwich to Mattishall. The living is a discharged vicarage, annexed to
that of Honingham, and valued in the king's books at
£7. 6. 0½.: the impropriate tithes have been commuted
for £168, and the vicarial for £415; the glebe contains
102 acres. The church is chiefly in the later English
style, with a square embattled tower; the east window
is embellished with stained glass representing the Descent from the Cross and other scriptural subjects,
inserted at the expense of Mrs. Mellish. There is a
place of worship for Primitive Methodists. At the inclosure of the parish, twenty-four acres were allotted for
fuel to the poor, who have also £40 per annum arising
from several bequests.
Tuddenham, North and West (St. Mary)
TUDDENHAM, NORTH and WEST (St. Mary),
a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch,
hundred of Mitford, W. division of Norfolk, 4¼ miles
(E. by S.) from East Dereham; containing 417 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Norwich
to East Dereham, and comprises 2270a. 1r. 8p., of
which 1706 acres are arable, 469 meadow and pasture,
and 41 woodland. Tuddenham Hall, formerly the seat
of the Skippe family, an ancient brick mansion surrounded with a moat, is now a farmhouse. The living
is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 5. 5.,
and in the gift of Robert Barry, Esq.: the tithes have
been commuted for £680; there is a parsonage-house,
and the glebe contains 65 acres.
Tudely (All Saints)
TUDELY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Tonbridge, partly in the hundred of Twyford, but
chiefly in that of Washlingstone, lathe of Aylesford,
W. division of Kent, 2 miles (E. S. E.) from Tonbridge;
containing 643 inhabitants. The parish comprises
1593a. 1r. 6p., about 50 acres of which are hop-grounds:
the South-Eastern railway passes through it. The living
is a vicarage, held jointly with the vicarage of Capel,
valued in the king's books at £4. 16. 0½., and in the
patronage of the Baroness le Despencer; net income,
£238. The church is a small building of stone, with a
square tower of brick, and a spire. In the parish are
some mineral springs having the same properties as
those of Tonbridge-Wells. Here was a seat of the earls
of Westmoreland, now a farmhouse.
Tuderley, Hampshire.—See Tytherley.
TUDERLEY, Hampshire.—See Tytherley.
TUDHOE, a township, in the parochial chapelry of
Whitworth, S. E. division of Darlington ward, union,
and S. division of the county, of Durham, 5 miles (S.
by W.) from Durham; containing 327 inhabitants. This
township, anciently called Tudhowe, comprises by computation 1770 acres of land. The village, which is reputed as being very healthy, is pleasantly situated near
the source of a brook, about a mile south of the river
Wear. The tithes have been commuted for £167.13. 3.,
payable to the rector of Brancepetb.
TUDY, ST., a parish, in the union of Bodmin, hundred of Trigg, E. division of Cornwall, 6¼ miles (N.)
from Bodmin; containing 661 inhabitants. Fairs for
sheep and cattle are held on May 20th and September
14th. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books
at £31; net income, £700; patrons, the Dean and
Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. The church contains
several ancient monuments to the Nichols family, of
Penrose, in the parish. There is a place of worship for
Wesleyans; and at Tintern and Kelly-Green are the
remains of ancient chapels. Dr. Richard Lower, an
eminent physician in the time of Charles II., who first
brought into notice the mineral water at Astrop, in
Northamptonshire, and who is mentioned in Dr. Good's
Study of Medicine, as having either discovered or brought
to perfection the practice of transfusing blood, was born
at Tremere, in the parish, about 1631, and was interred
at his native place in 1690.
TUE-BROOK, a hamlet, in the township of West
Derby, parish of Walton-on-the-Hill, union and
hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire,
3 miles (N. E.) from Liverpool, on the road to Knowsley.
This locality, from its elevated situation and the salubrity of the air, is chiefly inhabited by Liverpool merchants, whose numerous mansions and villas adorn the
scenery. Tue-Brook Villa is an elegant building in the
Italian style; it is appropriated to insane persons of the
wealthy classes. (See Derby, West.) Here is a powerful
steam-engine connected with the Green-Lane Waterworks, which partly supply the town of Liverpool.
TUFFLEY, a hamlet, in the parish of St. Maryde-Lode, city of Gloucester, Middle division of the
hundred of Dudstone and King's-Barton, union, and
E. division of the county, of Gloucester, 2¼ miles
(S.by W.) from Gloucester; containing 107 inhabitants,
and comprising 770 acres, of which 50 are common or
Tufton, or Tuckington (St. Mary)
TUFTON, or Tuckington (St. Mary), a parish, in
the union of Whitchurch, hundred of Wherwell,
Kingsclere and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, ½ a mile (S. W.) from Whitchurch; containing
153 inhabitants. It comprises about 1500 acres; the
surface is hilly, and the soil rests upon chalk and gravel.
The living is annexed, with that of Bullington, to the
vicarage of Wherwell.
Tugby (St. Thomas à Becket)
TUGBY (St. Thomas à Becket), a parish, in the
union of Billesdon, partly in the hundred of Gartree, but chiefly in that of East Goscote, N. division
of the county of Leicester, 7 miles (W. by N.) from
Uppingham; containing, with the liberty of Keythorpe,
288 inhabitants. This parish, which forms some of the
highest land in the county, is situated on the road from
Leicester to Stamford, and comprises about 2000 acres.
The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of
East Norton annexed, valued in the king's books at
£11. 8. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown. The
tithes were partly commuted for land in 1784, and under
the recent act a commutation has taken place for a rentcharge of £147. 8.; the glebe contains 137 acres. The
church has been repewed. Robert Wilson in 1726 bequeathed some land, directing the produce to be applied
for teaching children, and the relief of poor persons.
Catherine Parker, in 1746, left £50 per annum to be distributed among three widows, two of this place and one
of East Norton. £23 per annum, derived from land
apportioned at the inclosure, are applied to apprenticing
children; and the sum of £7. 5., derived from land purchased with bequests, is distributed among the poor.
Tugford (St. Catherine)
TUGFORD (St. Catherine), a parish, in the union
of Ludlow, hundred of Munslow, S. division of Salop,
10 miles (N. N. E.) from Ludlow; containing 145 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, united to
that of Holdgate, and valued in the king's books at
£4. 13. 4.: the tithes have been commuted for £180;
the glebe contains 23 acres.
Tuggal, or Tughall
TUGGAL, or Tughall, a township, in the parish,
and N. division of the ward, of Bambrough, union of
Belford, N. division of Northumberland, 3 miles
(N. N. W.) from Embleton; containing 119 inhabitants.
It is situated at the southern extremity of the parish,
near Tuggal burn, which shortly falls into the sea; and
comprises about 1500 acres of good wheat land and excellent pasture, in the proportions of two-thirds of the
former and one-third of the latter. At a little distance
eastward from the village stands Tuggal Hall. Here is
a chapel in ruins.
TUMBY, a hamlet, in the parish of Revesby, union
of Horncastle, W. division of the soke of Bolingbroke, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 2½ miles
(N. by W.) from Bolingbroke; with 12 inhabitants.
TUMBY, a township, in the parish of Kirkby-uponBain, union of Horncastle, S. division of the wapentake of Gartree, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 2½ miles (N. E by N.) from Tattershall; containing 344 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for
Wesleyan Methodists. Under the will of Sir John Nelthorpe, Bart., in 1669, a moiety of his bequest to the
school of Glandford-Brigg is appropriated to providing
lodging, diet, clothing, and books for the poor of Fullsby,
in this township, and for those of Legsby.
Tunbridge, county Kent.—See Tonbridge.
TUNBRIDGE, county Kent.—See Tonbridge.
TUNSTALL, a township, in the parish of BishopWearmouth, union of Sunderland, N. division of
Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 2¾
miles (S. by W.) from Sunderland; containing 64 inhabitants. The township lies between the road from Sunderland to Durham, and that from Sunderland to Stockton; and comprises about 760 acres, mostly arable land.
It is chiefly remarkable for the hills named after it, which
form one of the most prominent features of the district,
being a long monotonous chain or ridge of limestone,
running from north to south, and terminating in two
depressed round summits; the eastern ascent is tame
and gradual, but the western rises rapidly from a deep
and romantic gill. From these hills fine views of the
sea and of Sunderland are presented; and they form
a good landmark for mariners. Imbedded in the limestone have been found fossils, and a considerable quantity of iron-ore. There are some vestiges of a Druidical
circle; and a rude sepulchre, constructed with fragments
of stone, was discovered in 1814. The tithes have been
commuted for £182. 15. 3. A division of waste lands
took place in 1671.
Tunstall (St. John the Baptist)
TUNSTALL (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the
union and hundred of Milton, Upper division of the
lathe of Scray, E. division of Kent, 1½ mile (S. W.
by W.) from Sittingbourne; containing 188 inhabitants.
It comprises 1179a. 25p., of which 627 acres are arable,
291 pasture, 229 woodland, and 15 in hop-grounds;
the soil is loamy, with a considerable admixture of flint,
and rests on chalk. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £14. 8. 4., and in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury: the tithes have been commuted
for £510, and there is a glebe-house, with 9½ acres of
land. The church is principally in the later English
style, is built of flint, and has several handsome monuments. Edward Rowe Mores, a distinguished antiquary,
was born here in 1730.
Tunstall (St. John the Baptist)
TUNSTALL (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in
the union of Lancaster, hundred of Lonsdale south
of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire; containing,
with the chapelry of Leek, and the townships of Burrow
with Burrow, and Cantsfield, 721 inhabitants, of whom
142 are in Tunstall township, 3¾ miles (S.) from KirkbyLonsdale. This is the Tunestalle of the Domesday survey. It was early held by a family of the local name, a
member of which, Sir Bryan Tunstall, was killed in the
battle of Flodden-Field, and is called in Sir Walter
Scott's Marmion, "the Stainless Knight." The family
occupied Thurland Castle, a place of great antiquity,
restored by the present, proprietor. The parish comprises 13,840 acres, of which 1076a. 1r. 13p. are in the
township of Tunstall. The course of the river Lune
here forms a direct line from north to south, and its
banks are agreeably varied with groves and glades. The
Greta, issuing from the adjoining county of York, enters
Lancashire between Wrayton (in Melling) and Cantsfield, and after flowing to the south-south-west of Thurland Castle, terminates its career in the Lune. The
bridge over this stream near the castle was rebuilt in
1817, but was so much injured by the destructive floods
of the Greta, that it fell on the 16th December 1833;
it was restored, however, in 1835-6. The Leek beck, a
mountain torrent, rises near Graygirth fell; descends,
by Leek and Cowan bridge, to Over Burrow; and flowing over immense beds of stone, falls into the Lune west
of Burrow Hall. The road from Kirkby-Lonsdale to
Lancaster passes through the parish.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the
king's books at £6. 3. 11½.; net income, £332; patron
and impropriator, R. T. North, Esq.: the great tithes
of Tunstall township have been commuted for £62, and
the small for £50; the vicar has a glebe of 12 acres.
The church is a large irregular structure situated to the
north-east of the village, comprising a nave, chancel,
and aisles, with a tower and spacious porch, all in a
nearly similar style of architecture. It is believed to be
the third erection on the site, which may have been
occupied, in the Saxon era, by one of the churches mentioned in Domesday book. The last rebuilding is ascribed to Sir Thomas Tunstall, who lived in the reigns of
Henry IV. and V. The ceiling fell down from age and
decay in 1826, but was replaced. At Leek is a separate
incumbency. Twenty-four children receive education
for about £26 a year, arising from bequests; and there
are some other small charities.
Tunstall (St. Peter and St. Paul)
TUNSTALL (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish,
in the union of Blofield, hundred of Walsham, E.
division of Norfolk, 2¾ miles (S. S. E.) from Acle;
containing 116 inhabitants, and comprising about 1600
acres. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income,
£70; patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The body of the
church forms a picturesque ruin, the chancel only being
fitted up for public worship.
TUNSTALL, a township, in the parish of Adbaston,
union of Newport, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford; with 124 inhabitants. The tithes have been commuted for £135.
TUNSTALL, a considerable modern town, and a
district parish consisting of the townships of Oldcott,
Tunstall, and Ranscliff, in the parish of Wolstanton,
union of Wolstanton and Burslem, N. division of
the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Newcastle; containing
9240 inhabitants. In the township of Tunstall, which
forms the northern extremity of the parliamentary
borough of Stoke, are 6978 inhabitants. This place is
seated on the declivity of a considerable eminence, about
one mile north-by-east of Burslem, and has risen during
the present century from the rank of a small village to
that of a respectable town. The population in the year
1811 was only 1677. In 1816 a market-place was set
out, and a town-hall, a neat building of brick, erected in
the centre; and in 1840 an act was passed establishing
a market, and vesting the profits in a body corporate as
trustees for the original subscribers. In 1847 an act for
paving, lighting, watching, and otherwise improving the
town, and for regulating the market, was also obtained:
the market is held on Monday and Saturday. The
manufacture of china and earthenware is extensively
carried on, there being in the vicinity nearly twenty
potteries; and the population is likewise employed in
collieries, ironstone-mines, and brick and tile works, the
last producing articles of superior hardness and quality,
in great demand in Lancashire and the northern parts.
Goods are forwarded by the Grand Trunk canal, which
has its summit level near the west side of the town, and
is conducted into Cheshire in two collateral tunnels
under Harecastle Hill, within half a mile north-west of
the town: these tunnels are 2880 yards in length.
The township of Tunstall comprises only 795 acres,
but the manor, of which Ralph Sneyd, Esq., of Keele
Hall, is lord, comprehends also twelve contiguous
townships, including Burslem. The church, dedicated
to Christ, was erected in 1831, on a site given by Mr.
Sneyd, at a cost of £4000, of which £3000 were a grant
from the Parliamentary Commissioners, and £1000 were
raised by subscription; it is in the early English style,
with a tower and spire, and contains 1000 sittings. The
living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of Mr. Sneyd,
and incumbency of the Rev. S. Newall: a parsonagehouse has been built by subscription, aided by £400
from the late Col. Sneyd. There are places of worship
for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists (both large foundations, with school-houses attached), and Methodists
of the New Connexion; also a Barker meeting-house.
Excellent national schools were built in 1838.
Tunstall (St. Michael)
TUNSTALL (St. Michael), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Plomesgate, E. division of Suffolk,
8 miles (N. E. by E.) from Woodbridge; containing, with
the hamlet of Dunningworth, 658 inhabitants, and an
area by admeasurement of 3057 acres. The living is a
discharged rectory, with that of Dunningworth annexed,
valued in the king's books at £21. 0. 5.; net income,
£352; patron and incumbent, the Rev. T. G. Ferrand.
There is a place of worship for Baptists.
Tunstall (All Saints)
TUNSTALL (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Patrington, Middle division of the wapentake of Holderness,E. riding of York, 5½ miles (N.) from Patrington; containing 159 inhabitants. This place is of considerable antiquity, a church existing here in 1115,
when Stephen, Earl of Albemarle, gave the church and
tithes of Tunstall to the abbey of St. Martin. The parish is bounded on the east by the sea, and comprises
1193a. 16p., of which 919 acres are arable, and 274
pasture: about 100 acres have been lost since the inclosure in 1777, by the encroachment of the waves.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the
Succentor of the Cathedral of York, with a net income
of £52; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter. The
tithes of the township were commuted for land and a
money payment in 1777. The church, situated near the
centre of the village, consists of a nave, north and south
aisles, and chancel, with a tower; the elevation is lofty,
and the edifice of very substantial erection.
TUNSTALL, a township, in the parish of Catterick, union of Richmond, wapentake of Hang-East,
N. riding of York, 2 miles (S. W.) from Catterick;
containing 314 inhabitants. It comprises about 1470
acres, divided among various proprietors: its scattered
village is seated in a narrow vale, near the source and on
both sides of a small rivulet. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.