UBBERLEY, a township, in the parish and union
of Stoke-upon-Trent, N. division of the hundred of
Pirehill and of the county of Stafford; containing
Ubbeston (St. Peter)
UBBESTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Blything, E. division of Suffolk, 5¾
miles (S. W. by W.) from Halesworth; containing 243
inhabitants. It is watered by the river Blyth, and comprises by measurement 1200 acres; the soil is of a
mixed quality, rather heavy than otherwise, and the
surface more hilly than in the adjoining parishes.
Ubbeston Hall, now a farmhouse, was the residence of
the Kemp family, but was sold on the death of Sir
Robert Kemp in 1780 without issue. The living is a
discharged vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes,
valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4., and in the gift
of the Rev. Edmund Holland: the tithes have been
commuted for £315, and the glebe comprises 6¾ acres.
The church, which is chiefly in the later English style,
has an embattled tower, and a fine Norman doorway on
the north side.
Ubley, or Obleigh (St. Bartholomew)
UBLEY, or Obleigh (St. Bartholomew), a parish,
in the union of Clutton, hundred of Chewton, E.
division of Somerset, 9 miles (N. by W.) from Wells;
containing 369 inhabitants. The living is a discharged
rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 11. 5½., and
in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been
commuted for £194, and the glebe comprises 70 acres.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
UCKERBY, a township, in the parish of Catterick,
union of Richmond, wapentake of Gilling-East, N.
riding of York, 3½ miles (N. by E.) from Catterick;
containing 40 inhabitants. It comprises 740 acres, the
property of the Earl of Tyrconnel, who is lord of the
manor. St. Cuthbert's well here, is supposed to derive
its name from a monastery dedicated to St. Cuthbert,
of which no traces remain; the water is said to be useful in the cure of cutaneous diseases and of rheumatism.
The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £59, and
the vicarial for £30. 10.
Uckfield (Holy Cross)
UCKFIELD (Holy Cross), a market-town, a parish,
and the head of a union, in the hundred of LoxfieldDorset, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 8
miles (N. E. by N.) from Lewes; containing 1534 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the west by the river
Ouse, and comprises 1636a. 2r. 37p., of which about 70
acres are under the cultivation of hops, and 40 in roads,
sites of buildings, and waste; the scenery is exceedingly
picturesque, and the air salubrious. The village is situated on an eminence, on the road from Lewes to London
and to Tonbridge-Wells; and contains several good
houses. Petty-sessions are held every Friday in the
winter, and every alternate Friday during the summer,
at the Maidenhead hotel, where occasional assemblies
take place in a handsome ball-room. There is a market
for corn on Friday; and cattle-fairs occur on May 14th
and August 29th. The living is annexed to the rectory
of Buxted; the rector's tithes have been commuted for
£315. The nave of the church was rebuilt in 1840, by
subscription, and a spire has been added to the tower.
The Baptists and Wesleyans have places of worship.
Dr. Anthony Saunders, in 1719, left a school-house, and
some land now producing £70 per annum, in trust for
the establishment of a free grammar school for six boys
of this parish, and six of Buxted, and also gave his
library for the use of the school; part of the rent is applied in apprenticing boys of Buxted. The poor-law
union of Uckfield comprises 11 parishes or places, containing a population of 16,447: the workhouse, situated
on elevated ground, was erected in 1839. In a house
once occupied by Bishop Christopherson, confessor to
Queen Mary, are preserved some massive rings, and
vestiges of popery. In the grounds of R. S. Streatfield,
Esq., are various curiously-formed rocks, hollowed into
UCKINGTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Elmstone-Hardwicke, union of Cheltenham, Lower division of the hundred of Deerhurst, E. division of the
county of Gloucester, 2¼ miles (N. W.) from Cheltenham; containing 200 inhabitants. This place lies on the
road from Cheltenham to Worcester and Malvern, and
comprises 852 acres of good land, wholly appropriated to
agriculture, and watered by the Chelt. The great tithes
have been commuted for £313. 10., and the vicarial
Udimore (St. Mary)
UDIMORE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and
borough of Rye, hundred of Gostrow, rape of Hastings, E. division of Sussex, 3½ miles (W. S. W.) from
Rye; containing 483 inhabitants. This parish is bounded
on the south by Brede channel, and situated on the road
from Rye to Battle. It comprises 1950 acres, whereof
990 are arable, 750 meadow, pasture, and marsh, and 210
woodland: the surface is marked with hill and dale, and
the scenery enriched with every kind of wood. The
living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books
at £8. 5. 2.; net income, £100; patron, T. C. Langford, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for
£400. The church is principally in the early English
Uffculme (St. Mary)
UFFCULME (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Tiverton, hundred of Bampton, Collumpton and N.
divisions of Devon, 4¾ miles (N. E.) from Collumpton;
containing 2011 inhabitants. This is a decayed markettown, and during the last century a great quantity of
serge was made here; there are still some flannels manufactured; and fairs are held on the Wednesday in Passion-week, June 29th, and the middle Wednesday in
September. The parish comprises 5545 acres, of which
179 are common or waste. The living is a vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £18. 0. 2½., and in the patronage of the Prebendary of Uffculme in Salisbury
Cathedral: the great tithes have been commuted for
£427. 11., and the vicarial for £455. 16. The church
has a rich wooden screen. There are places of worship
for Baptists and Independents; also a free grammar
school founded in 1701, by Nicholas Ashford, with £1200,
of which £400 were expended in building the schoolhouse. Bradfield Hall, in the parish, is a perfect ancient
mansion, containing several curious apartments, and to
which a chapel was formerly attached. On a common
in the neighbourhood is a place called Pixy Garden, an
Uffington (St. Mary)
UFFINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Farringdon, hundred of Shrivenham, county of
Berks, 4¼ miles (S. S. E.) from Farringdon; containing,
with the chapelries of Baulking and Wolstone, 1170 inhabitants, of whom 640 are in Uffington township. The
parish comprises 6028a. 1r. 13p.; and is intersected by
the Wilts and Berks canal, and the Great Western railway. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the
king's books at £21; net income, £369; patron and
impropriator, C. Eyre, Esq. The church is a handsome
cruciform structure in the early English style; the spire
was destroyed by lightning, about 1750. There are
chapels of ease at Baulking and Wolstone. Thomas
Saunders, in 1636, founded and endowed a free school;
the rents for its support amount to £40. On WhiteHorse Hill, just above the village, is Uffington Castle, a
large encampment surrounded by a double vallum, the
inner one very high; it is 700 feet from east to west,
500 from north to south, and is supposed to be a work
of the Britons, afterwards occupied by the Romans. The
hill takes its name from the rude figure of a horse, 374
feet in length, cut in the turf, near the summit, and said
to be commemorative of a victory which Alfred obtained
over the Danes in the neighbourhood, though some consider it a British work: lands were formerly held here
by the tenure of cutting away the turf to render the figure
more visible. Westward of Uffington Castle is a large
tumulus or cromlech called Wayland Smith's cave; and
various other tumuli are scattered on the downs, particularly between Uffington and Lambourn, the most considerable of which are those called the Seven Barrows.
Uffington gives the inferior title of Viscount to the Earl
Uffington (St. Michael)
UFFINGTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union
of Stamford, wapentake of Ness, parts of Kesteven,
county of Lincoln, 2 miles (E. by N.) from Stamford;
containing, with the hamlet of Casewick, 530 inhabitants.
The parish is situated on the road from Stamford to
Boston, and considerable facilities are afforded by
the river Welland. Stone is quarried for the roads.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£21. 5. 2½.: net income, £837; patron, the Earl of Lindsey, whose splendid mansion is in the parish. There
is a glebe of 60 acres, with a house; and some land in
Deeping fen belongs to the rectory. The church is a
handsome structure, partly in the early and partly in
the later English style, with a fine tower and spire, and
some fragments of ancient stained glass. A national
school was endowed by Albemarle, 9th earl of Lindsey,
with £20 per annum: £10. 4. per annum, arising from
various bequests, are distributed in money and bread,
and from this fund a child is occasionally apprenticed.
An hospital, or priory of Augustine canons, in honour of
the Virgin Mary, was founded in the reign of Henry III.
or his predecessor, by William de Albini, and at the
Dissolution had a revenue of £42. 1. 3.
Uffington (Holy Trinity)
UFFINGTON (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union
of Atcham, Wellington division of the hundred of
South Bradford, N. division of Salop, 3 miles
(E. N. E.) from Shrewsbury; containing 163 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 1180 acres.
Some small coal-mines were lately worked; and a hard
kind of trapstone is quarried on Haghmon Hill, for the
repair of roads and for rough walls. The village is situated on the banks of the Severn, and on the road leading from High Ercall to the London road at Atcham;
the Shrewsbury canal passes at the end of the village.
The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of
£59; the patronage and impropriation belong to Mrs.
Corbett; and there is a small glebe-house and garden.
The church is supposed to have been built about the
UFFORD, a tything, in the parish, union, and hundred of Crediton, Crediton and N. divisions of Devon,
3½ miles (W. by S.) from Crediton; containing 286 inhabitants.
Ufford (St. Andrew)
UFFORD (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of
Stamford, soke of Peterborough, N. division of the
county of Northampton; containing, with the hamlet
of Ashton, 286 inhabitants, of whom 185 are in Ufford
hamlet, 5 miles (S. E.) from Stamford. The parish comprises 1866a. 2r. 18p. Its soil is various, the meadow
land rich; the surface is partly hilly, and where level is
sometimes flooded by the river Welland. The Roman
road from the station at Caistor, leading towards Lincoln, passes on the east. The railway from Syston to
Peterborough runs within a mile. The living is a rectory, with the living of Bainton annexed, valued in the
king's books at £26. 13. 4.; income, about £500; patrons, the Master and Fellows of St. John's College,
Cambridge. There is a glebe of 37 acres.
Ufford (St. Mary)
UFFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Woodbridge, hundred of Wilford, E. division of
Suffolk, 2½ miles (N. E.) from Woodbridge; containing 673 inhabitants. It comprises 1155a. 2r. 29p;.: the
soil in general is light or mixed, but in some places
clayey; the surface is partly hilly, and the lands adjacent to the river Deben, which flows through the parish, are subject to inundation. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 5.,
and in the gift of F. C. Brooke, Esq., whose seat, Ufford
Place, is in the parish: the tithes have been commuted
for £331, and the glebe consists of 35 acres. The
church contains a font with a curious cover, which has
been engraved by the Society of Antiquaries. Here was
anciently a chapel called Sogenho. An hospital for four
men was founded by Thomas Wood, D.D., Bishop of
Lichfield and Coventry, who endowed it with £15 per
annum. William Otley, lord mayor of London in 1434,
was born here; and the Uffords, earls of Suffolk, took
their name from the place.
Ufton, or Upton-Nervet (St. Peter)
UFTON, or Upton-Nervet (St. Peter), a parish,
in the union of Bradfield, hundred of Theale, county
of Berks, 7¼ miles (S. W. by W.) from Reading; containing 391 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2029a.
3r. 8p., of which 36 acres are common or waste; the
soil is gravel, and the surface hilly: the river Kennet
runs through. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £11. 3. l½.; net income, £426; patrons,
the Provost and Fellows of Oriel College, Oxford. There
are some slight remains of a church which belonged to
Upton-Greys, once a distinct parish, but consolidated
with this in 1442.
Ufton (St. Michael)
UFTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of
Southam, Kenilworth division of the hundred of
Knightlow, S. division of the county of Warwick,
2½ miles (W. by N.) from Southam; containing 188 inhabitants. It is intersected by the road from Warwick
to Daventry, and consists of 1539 acres. The living is
a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of
Worcester, with a net income of £80: the tithes have
been commuted for two rent-charges, each of £190; and
there are 92½ acres of glebe.
UGBOROUGH, a parish, in the union of Totnes,
hundred of Ermington, Ermington and Plympton, and
S. divisions of Devon, 8 miles (W. S. W.) from Totnes;
containing 523 inhabitants. The parish is on the road
from Plymouth to Exeter, and comprises 8659 acres, of
which 2631 are common or waste. A lead-mine is
worked at Filham, and there are some quarries of slate
and limestone. Fairs are held in May and November.
The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books
at £20; net income, £260; patrons, the Grocers' Company; impropriator of the remainder of the rectorial
tithes, Lady Carew. There are 3 acres of glebe. The
church is a handsome structure, standing upon a bold
eminence, and forming a striking feature in the scenery;
it is in the early English style, and contains a Norman
font, and some curious remains of ancient screenwork.
At Ivybridge, a village partly in the parish, is a district
church; and at Earlscombe was formerly a chapel.
There is a place of worship for Baptists. Sir John
Kempthorn, a distinguished admiral, was born at Widescomb here, in 1620.
Uggeshall (St. Mary)
UGGESHALL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Blything, E. division of Suffolk, 1
mile (N. W.) from Wangford; containing 295 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1466 acres, of which
20 are occupied by roads. The living is a rectory, with
that of Sotherton annexed, valued in the king's books at
£13. 6. 8., and in the gift of the Earl of Stradbroke.
The tithes of Uggeshall have been commuted for £380,
and the glebe comprises 43 acres, with a commodious
parsonage-house, much improved by the late rector, the
Rev. Thomas Sheriffe. The church has a low square
tower, enveloped with ivy.
UGGLEBARNBY, a chapelry, in the parish and
union of Whitby, liberty of Whitby-Strand, N. riding
of York, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Whitby; containing
448 inhabitants. Ugglebarnby belonged to Whitby
Abbey, and at the Dissolution came into the possession of
the Archbishop of York. The lower grounds are rich
and fertile, and the higher indifferent corn land; the
small river Little Beck runs through the chapelry. The
living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Eskdaleside: the chapel was built in 1137, by Nicholas, abbot
Ugley (St. Peter)
UGLEY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Bishop-Stortford, hundred of Clavering, N. division
of Essex, 2 miles (N.) from Stansted-Mountfitchet;
containing 381 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises
by measurement 2020 acres, is pleasantly situated in
the north-eastern part of the hundred, on the road from
London to Cambridge. Ugley Hall is an ancient mansion near the church; Orford House, a handsome residence of brick, takes its name from the Earl of Orford,
by whom it was built. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £14. 13. 4.; patrons
and impropriators, the Governors of Christ's Hospital,
London. The great tithes have been commuted for
£360. 13., and the vicarial for £99. 8.; the glebes
respectively comprise 48 and 3 acres. The church is
a small edifice, with a belfry-turret surmounted by a
cupola: on the south side of the chancel is a chapel
belonging to Bolliugton Hall.
UGTHORPE, a township, in the parish of Lythe,
union of Whitby, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 7½ miles (W.) from Whitby;
containing 242 inhabitants. This was an ancient demesne of the crown, and is styled in Domesday book
Ughetorp; the Mauleys became lords here at an early
period, and from them the manor and estate descended by
marriage to the Bigods,and afterwards to the Ratcliffes,
by whom the whole was sold in parcels. The township
is situated in the western part of the parish, south of the
road between Whitby and Guisborough. A Roman
Catholic chapel was erected about 1812; and a school
is partly supported by £10 per annum from a Roman