Ulceby (All Saints)
ULCEBY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Spilsby, Wold division of the hundred of Calceworth, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3 miles
(S. W.) from Alford; containing, with the hamlet of
Fordington, 204 inhabitants. It is situated on the road
from Alford to Boston, and comprises by measurement
1872 acres, of which 1530 acres are arable, 227 pasture,
and 115 woodland. The surface is marked with hill and
dale, and from the higher grounds is an expansive sea
view: the subsoil is calcareous. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 16. 8.;
net income, £519; patron, the Rev. W. A. Peacock:
the tithes have been commuted for 457 acres of land.
The church was rebuilt in 1826, and is a neat brick
building, containing 150 sittings. There is a place of
worship for Wesleyans. The Bulls Head, a lofty hill
in the parish, is a noted landmark.
Ulceby (St. Nicholas)
ULCEBY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of
Glandford-Brigg, N. division of the wapentake of
Yarborough, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln,
7¼ miles (S. E.) from Barton-upon-Humber; containing
787 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £11. 18. 4., and in the
patronage of the Crown; net income, £146; impropriators, W. D. Field, Esq., and others. The tithes of the
parish were commuted for land and a money payment
in the year 1824.
Ulcombe (All Saints)
ULCOMBE (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Hollingbourne, hundred of Eyhorne, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 8 miles (S. E. by E.) from
Maidstone; containing 6S5 inhabitants. This parish
lies partly in the Weald. It is intersected by several
small streams that empty themselves into the Medway,
and comprises by measurement 3529 acres, whereof
395 are in wood, and 274 common. Ulcombe Place and
manor belonged to the family of St. Leger, of whom Sir
Robert, of an ancient house in Normandy, is said to
have supported the Conqueror with his hand when landing on the Sussex coast. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £16. 5. 10., and in the gift of the
Hon. C. B. C. Wandesford: the tithes have been commuted for £770, with a charge of 17s. 6d. per acre upon
hops, of which there are about 150 acres; the glebe
consists of 80 acres, including 25 in wood. The church
was wrested in the Danish wars from the priory of
Christ-Church, Canterbury, but was restored in 941:
it was made collegiate by Archbishop Langton, in 1220,
for an archpresbyter, two canons, a deacon, and one
clerk; and afterwards became a rectory. The present
edifice, which is in the later English style, contains some
very old monuments to the St. Legers, many to the family
of Stringer, and, of more recent date, one to the Marquess and Marchioness of Ormonde, and another to Lady
ULDALE, a parish, in the union of Wigton, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 8 miles (S. by W.) from Wigton; containing 330
inhabitants. The parish comprises 2217a. 3r. 10p., exclusively of waste and common. The river Ellen has its
source here, in two small lakes well stocked with various
kinds of fish; about a mile and a half south-east from
which, a brook, tumbling from a lofty mountain over
several rocky precipices, forms a beautiful cascade termed
White-Water Dash. Coal, freestone, limestone, and peat
abound. A large fair for sheep is held on August 29th.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£17. 18. 1½.; net income, £151; patron, the Rev.
Joseph Cape. The church was rebuilt by the parishioners in 1730. The free school, founded in 1726, has
an endowment of about £47 per annum.
Uley (St. Giles)
ULEY (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Dursley, Upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, W.
division of the county of Gloucester, 2½ miles (E. by
N.) from Dursley; containing 1713 inhabitants. The
parish is situated on the road from Berkeley to Stroud
and Cheltenham, and comprises by measurement 1400
acres, of which 1100 are arable and pasture, and 300
woodland. It abounds with picturesque scenery. The
manufacture of woollen-cloth was formerly carried on
extensively, but has of late declined: an iron-foundry
employs about fifty persons. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £13. 3. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted
for £240, and the glebe consists of 15 acres. The church
is ancient. There are places of worship for Baptists,
Independents, and Wesleyans; and schools are supported by subscription. On an eminence north-west of
the village, is an encampment called Uley-Bury, where
various Roman coins have been found.
ULGHAM, a parochial chapelry, in the union, and
E. division of the ward, of Morpeth, N. division of
Northumberland, 5 miles (N. E. by N.) from Morpeth; containing 368 inhabitants. This place, in the
charter of Henry I. granting right of free chase on it to
the Merlay family, is called Elchamp: it was formerly,
in part, the property of Newminster Abbey; and the
hospital of St. John of Jerusalem also held some lands
here. The chapelry is situated on the road from Morpeth to Warkworth, by Widdrington; and comprises
about 3409 acres, the property of Earl Grey and the
Earl of Carlisle. The soil in some parts, especially about
the village, is gravelly and good, but a considerable portion is stiff and clayey, which, however, under proper
management, is suitable to the growth of wheat and
oats, alternated with clover and fallow. Some coal-mines
were possessed here by Queen Elizabeth in 1600; coal
is still found in the chapelry, on the bank of the river
Line, and was wrought not very long since in the immediate vicinity. There is also a quarry of freestone.
According to vulgar tradition, a market was once held
at Ulgham, and the stump of an ancient cross, said to
have been connected with a market, still remains in the
centre of the village. The living is a perpetual curacy,
annexed to the rectory of Morpeth: the tithes have
been commuted for £307. The church is a plain modern
edifice of stone, dedicated to St. John the Baptist.
ULLENHALL, a chapelry, in the parish of Wootton-Wawen, union of Stratford, Henley division of
the hundred of Barlichway, S. division of the county
of Warwick, 2½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Henley-inArden; containing 461 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary.
ULLESKELF, a township, in the parish of KirkbyWharfe, Upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash,W. riding of York, 4½ miles (S.E.) from Tadcaster; containing 491 inhabitants. It comprises 1260
acres, chiefly the property of John Shilleto, Esq., lord of
the manor. The soil is generally fertile; the common
was inclosed in 1838, and has been brought into cultivation. The village is pleasantly situated on the south
side of the Wharfe, over which the York and NorthMidland railway is carried, by a viaduct of nine arches.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
ULLESTHORPE, a hamlet, in the parish of Claybrooke, union of Lutterworth, hundred of Guthlaxton, S. division of the county of Leicester, 3¼
miles (N. W.) from Lutterworth; containing 594 inhabitants. A station on the Midland railway is fixed here,
in a very inconvenient position, on the top of a steep
cutting. There are places of worship for Baptists and
Independents. The sum of £11 per annum, arising from
an allotmenc of four acres made in 1725, is distributed
among the poor.
ULLEY, a township, partly in the parish of Aston,
but chiefly in that of Treeton, union of Rotherham,
S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 4½ miles (S. E. by S.) from
Rotherham; containing 188 inhabitants. This place,
called in Domesday book Olleie, was formerly possessed
by the monks of Worksop, who are recorded to have
owned the manor in the reign of Edward II.; after the
Dissolution, the farm and grange appear to have passed
to the Darcys, while the manor was in the Tempest
family. The township borders on the district designated
Hallamshire, and comprises about 900 acres of profitable
land in good cultivation: the old Hall is now a farmhouse. Land and corn-rents were assigned to the rector
of Treeton in lieu of tithes, in 1798.
ULLINGSWICK, a parish, in the union of Bromyard, hundred of Broxash, county of Hereford, 5
miles (S. W.) from Bromyard; containing 320 inhabitants. The parish is situated at the source of a branch
of the river Lugg, and comprises 1184 acres. The living
is a rectory, with that of Little Cowarne annexed, valued
in the king's books at £9, and in the gift of the Bishop
of Hereford: the tithes of Ullingswick have been commuted for £195, and the glebe comprises 26 acres.
ULLOCK, with Pardsey and Dean-Scales, a township, in the parish of Dean, union of Cockermouth,
Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 5½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Cockermouth;
containing 350 inhabitants.
ULNES-WALTON, a township, in the parish of
Croston, union of Chorley, hundred of Leyland, N.
division of the county of Lancaster, 5¼ miles (W. by
N.) from Chorley; containing 477 inhabitants. The
Molyneux family had a lease of this manor from
Edward IV., by whom a moiety of it was afterwards
granted to Thomas Walton. In the reign of Edward
VI. the manor was transferred by the crown to Sir
Anthony Brown, a justice of the common pleas, and a
considerable trafficker in the confiscated property of
religious houses. Various families afterwards held
lands here. The township comprises 1986 acres, mostly
in grass; the soil is of different qualities. The river
Lostock passes through, as does the Liverpool, Ormskirk, and Preston railway. Lostock Brow, with 46
acres around it, is the property of Richard Norris, Esq.
A national school was built in 1846; and two bequests
of land and tenements, producing together about £40
per annum, are appropriated to the poor. At a farm
called Gradwells, where, according to tradition, was a
monkish cell, is an old cross, well preserved.
ULPHA, a chapelry, in the parish of Millom, union
of Bootle, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 9 miles (E. by S.) from Ravenglass; containing 375 inhabitants. The chapelry extends along the western bank of the river Duddon to
the mountains Hard-Knot and Wrynose, in which direction is a stone marking the boundaries of Cumberland, Lancashire, and Westmorland. A Roman road
crosses both these mountains; and about half way up
the former are the remains of Hard-Knot Castle, a
fortress anciently of great importance, the period of
whose erection is involved in much obscurity. There
are quarries of excellent blue slate, of which about 1400
tons are annually raised; copper-mines were formerly
worked, and zinc is known to exist. The coppices with
which the district abounds produce a large supply of
wood for making hoops and bobbins, the former disposed of at Liverpool, and the latter to the manufacturers of cotton, woollen, linen, and silk in other towns.
A fair for sheep is held on the first Monday in Septemter, and there are others on the Monday before Easter
and on July 9th, formerly for cloth and yarn, but now
only resorted to for pleasure. Ulpha Hall, which bears
marks of high antiquity, has been converted into a farmhouse. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income,
£49 per annum; patron, the Vicar of Millom. The
chapel is dedicated to St. John. Here is a place of
worship for Baptists.
Ulpha, with Methop.—See Methop.
ULPHA, with Methop.—See Methop.
ULROME, a chapelry, in the union of Bridlington,
partly in the parish of Barmston, but chiefly in that of
Skipsea, N. division of the wapentake of Holderness,
E. riding of York, 8 miles (S.) from Bridlington, and
6 (N. N. W.) from Hornsea; containing 157 inhabitants. The village gave name to a family of note who
were lords of Ulrome for several centuries, and who
occur as parties or witnesses in charters of a very
early date; among other landowners here were the
priors of Bridlington and Nunkeeling. The chapelry
is bounded on the east by the sea, and comprises 3000
acres, chiefly arable: the commons, about 1200 acres,
were inclosed in 1765. The village is situated on rising
ground, and consists of scattered houses, being nearly
a mile in length. The living is a perpetual curacy,
valued in the king's books at £3. 19. 2.; net income,
£68; patrons, the Executors of J. Lockwood, Esq.; impropriator, the Rev. John W. Bower. The incumbent
has a glebe of 22 acres; 57 acres are held by the impropriator, in lieu of corn-tithes, with an annual payment
of £25; and the rector of Barmston has 74 acres,
with a payment of £19. The chapel, dedicated to
St. Andrew, is a very ancient edifice, with modern
alterations; the interior is of rude and primitive appearance.
Ulting (All Saints)
ULTING (All Saints), a parish, in the union and
hundred of Witham, N. division of Essex, 4½ miles (S.
S. W.) from Witham; containing 150 inhabitants. This
parish, which is bounded on the south by the river Chelmer, is about six miles in circumference; the soil is generally fertile, and well cultivated. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 4. 2.,
and in the gift of Miss M. H. Bailey: the great tithes
have been commuted for £187.17., and the vicarial for
£164. 12. The church is a small stone edifice, with a
turret of wood surmounted by a shingled spire, and is
beautifully situated near the river.
ULVERSCROFT, an extra-parochial liberty, in the
union of Barrow-upon-Soar, hundred of West Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 6 miles
(W. by S.) from Mountsorrel; containing 146 inhabitants. This place lies on the borders of Charnwood
Forest, its houses being mostly scattered in a picturesque dale bounded on the east by the rocky hills of
the forest, and on the west by those of Bardon. It comprises about 1000 acres of land. Here are the ruins of
a church that belonged to an Augustine priory dedicated
to the Blessed Virgin, founded by Robert Blanchmains,
Earl of Leicester, in the reign of Henry II., and having
at the Dissolution a revenue of £101. 3. 10.
Ulverston (St. Mary)
ULVERSTON (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of
Lancaster; containing, with the townships of Mansriggs, Osmotherley, and Subberthwaite, and the chapelries of Blawith, Church-Conistone, Egtonwith Newland,
Lowick, and Torver, 8778 inhabitants, of whom 5352
are in the town, 22 miles (N. W.) from Lancaster, and
271 (N. W. by N.) from London. This place derives its
name, written in old records Olvestonam, from Ulpha, a
Saxon lord; and was conferred in 1127, on the abbey of
Furness, by Stephen, afterwards King of England. It
was subsequently granted to Gilbert, who had succeeded
to the barony of Kendal, and who released the inhabitants from their state of feudalism, bestowing upon them
a charter, which was augmented and confirmed by his
successors. The manor afterwards reverted to the
crown; and being, in 1609, divided into moieties, was
eventually purchased in 1736, by the Duke of Montagu,
for £490, and is at present vested in the Duke of
Buccleuch. A charter was obtained from Edward I., for
a market and an annual fair; but it. continued to be
merely nominal until the dissolution of Furness Abbey,
near Dalton, the capital of that district, from which
event the prosperity of Ulverston may be dated.
The town is pleasantly situated near the beautiful
bay of Morecambe, and is nearly environed by hills: the
streets form principal lines, and within the last few years
have been lighted with gas. Good water is in abundance, a stream flowing through the town; the celebrated
spring called the Lightburn, remarkable for its purity,
contributes to the supply, and water is always found at
a depth of about 20 feet, under a bed of gravel. The
air is salubrious, the inhabitants very healthy, and remarkable for longevity, a fact evidenced in the RegistrarGeneral's reports. There are a theatre, an assemblyroom, and a subscription library containing 5000 volumes,
many of them standard works; also a parochial, a clerical, and a circulating library; and, besides other institutions, a banking-house and a savings' bank. The
market-place occupies a central position at the junction
of streets from the north, south, east, and west. The
peninsular situation of the town led to the appointment
of mounted guides to direct travellers across the Sands,
who were paid by government to be in attendance from
sunrise to sunset, while the channel was fordable; but
this arrangement has been partially superseded by the
construction of a road to Carnforth, under an act of parliament.
The prevailing branches of manufacture are those of
cotton, linen, check, canvass for sails, sacking, candlewicks, hats, axes, adzes, spades, hoes, and sickles. The
chief articles of export, in addition to some of the above,
are iron and copper ores, pig and bar iron of the finest
quality, the best blue and green slates, and limestone,
wool, grain, butter, gunpowder, leather, hoops, basketrods, baskets called swills, crate and wheel-spoke wood,
and oak and larch poles: these are principally sent
coastwise, the intercourse with foreign countries being
limited. There is a yard for ship-building, and the aggregate registry of ships belonging to the place is nearly
3000 tons; four or five vessels are employed in the
American timber trade. Ulverston is a port within
the port of Lancaster, and is little more than a mile
distant from the Furness channel in Morecambe bay.
In 1793 an act was obtained for making a canal one
mile and a quarter in length, which opens a communication with the bay, and by means of which ships of
400 tons' burthen are safely moored in a capacious basin
with extensive wharfs, and can discharge their cargoes
close to the town. In 1846 an act was passed for extending the Furness railway to Ulverston. The market,
granted to Roger de Lancaster in the 8th of Edward I.,
is on Thursday; and fairs are held on the Tuesday
before Easter Sunday, on Whit-Thursday, October 7th,
the first Thursday after Oct. 23rd, and, for horses, on
the Tuesday preceding the first full week in January.
Manorial courts leet and baron take place on the
Monday next after Oct. 24th. The petty-sessions, and
the meetings of the guardians of the poor, for Lonsdale
north of the Sands, are held here on Thursdays weekly.
The powers of the county debt-court of Ulverston,
established in 1847, extend over part of the registrationdistrict of Ulverston. The parish, which was anciently
included in the parish of Dalton, comprises by computation 32,640 acres, whereof about one-third is arable,
and the remainder pasture, wood, and peat or moss
land; the extent of ground between the north and
south extremities is eighteen or nineteen miles, and the
greatest breadth about three miles.
The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £149,
derived from land; patron and impropriator, T. R. G.
Braddyll, Esq. The whole parish is free from the great
tithes of corn and hay. The church is situated on the
northern side of the town, on rising ground commanding
a beautiful prospect: a Norman doorway and the tower
are the only portions of the original church, the present
edifice having been built in 1804. It contains a fine
altar-piece, the Entombment of Christ, copied from
Vandyke's picture in the Borghese Palace at Rome by
Ghirardi, and presented by Mr. Braddyll: there is
also a good organ by England. Trinity church was
completed in 1832 from the designs of A. Salvin, Esq.,
of London, at a cost of £5301, and is in the early English style: the painting which adorns the altar of this
edifice was also the gift of Mr. Braddyll, and is a copy,
by the same artist, of the Crucifixion, by Guido, in the
church of St. Lorenzo di Lucina at Rome. The living
is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Mr. Braddyll, with a net income of £143, derived from pew-rents.
In the rural parts of the parish are five separate incumbencies. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Roman
Catholics have places of worship; and Sunday schools
in connexion both with the churches and meetinghouses afford religious instruction to a large number of
children. There are, besides, auxiliaries of the Christian
Knowledge, the British and Foreign Bible, the Gospel
Propagation, the Church Missionary, and London and
Wesleyan Missionary, Societies.
Among the places of interest in the immediate vicinity
is Conishead Priory, the seat of the Braddyll family.
This splendid mansion occupies the site of a monastery
founded by Gamel de Pennington for Black canons, and
the revenue of which at the Dissolution was £124. 2. 1.:
the conventual building was then dismantled, and the
materials were sold for £333. 6. 3½. Some remains of
the cemetery, pillars of the transepts, the foundation
walls of the church, with several skeletons, were discovered in 1823, when preparing the site for the present
building. The mansion is in the early English style, in
an extensive park, with gardens exquisitely laid out, and
terraces 858 feet in length: the entrance hall is 61 feet
long, with painted windows of great beauty, and adorned
with suits of armour; the other apartments are fitted
up in a style of luxurious elegance, and contain some
fine pictures. Also, may be mentioned, Bardsea Hall,
a good specimen of a Swiss villa; Chapel Island, on the
Sands; the bold promontory or headland, The Hoad,
whence a good general view is obtained of the town
and the surrounding country; and Swarthmoor Hall, in
which George Fox, founder of the Society of Friends,
resided, now in a dilapidated condition. His study and
bedroom here are objects of great curiosity; in the
latter is a substantial antique bedstead with carved posts,
on which he used to repose, and which any of his followers, it is said, are permitted to occupy for a night.
The Friends' meeting-house near Swarthmoor Hall is a
plain structure: over the doorway is the inscription
"Ex dono G. F. 1688." This was one of the first meetinghouses erected for the Society, and was a gift from
George Fox himself, as the inscription imports. Richard
de Ulverston, a monk of considerable eminence, and
author of a work entitled Articles of Faith, was born at
Ulverston in 1434.
UNDERBARROW, a chapelry, in the parish, union,
and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 2¾
miles (W.) from Kendal; containing, with Bradley-Field,
515 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net
income, £92; patron, the Vicar of Kendal.
UNDERMILBECK, a township, in the parish of
Windermere, union and ward of Kendal, county of
Westmorland, 8 miles (W. by N.) from Kendal; containing, with the chapelry of Winster, 1033 inhabitants.
The tithes have been commuted for £12 per annum,
and there is some glebe land. A school is supported by
UNDER-SKIDDAW, a township, m the parish of
Crosthwaite, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale
ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland,
6 miles (N. N. W.) from Keswick; containing 549 inhabitants. A school is supported by donations amounting
to nearly £100 a year; and a handsome school-house has
been erected at High Hill, in the township, at the expense of James Stanger, Esq., in which girls are taught
on the national system.
UNDERWOOD, with Offcoat, a liberty, in the
parish of Ashbourn, hundred of Wirksworth, S.
division of Derbyshire; with 344 inhabitants.
UNDERWOOD, a hamlet, in the parish of Selston,
union of Basford, N. division of the wapentake of
Broxtow and of the county of Nottingham; containing 412 inhabitants.
UNDY, a parish, in the union of Chepstow, division of Christchurch, hundred of Caldicot, county
of Monmouth, 8½ miles (W. S. W.) from Chepstow;
containing 317 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south
by the Bristol Channel, and comprises 1726a. lr. 4p.,
of which 329 acres are common or waste. The living is
a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£4. 10. 7½.; the patronage and appropriation belong to
the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff. The great tithes
have been commuted for £150, and those of the vicar
for £140; the appropriate glebe consists of 52 acres,
and the vicarial of 4 acres, with a parsonage-house. The
church is in the early English style, and consists of a
nave and chancel, with a square tower rising from between them.
UNSTONE, a township, in the parish of Dronfield, union of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale,
N. division of the county of Derby, 4 miles (N. by W.)
from Chesterfield; containing 688 inhabitants. A school
has an endowment of £16 per annum.
UNSWORTH, a hamlet, in the township of Pilkington, parish of Prestwich cum Oldham, hundred
of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 3 miles (S. S. E.)
from Bury, on the road to Manchester; containing 826
inhabitants. It forms the eastern part of Pilkington
township, and comprises 972 acres, of which three-fourths
are arable land: the soil was mostly boggy, but extensive drainage has been for some time in operation. The
population is employed in cotton-mills, print-works,
and bleach-grounds; and in agriculture. Unsworth is
the head of a chapelry, of much larger extent than the
hamlet, and which includes part of the parish of Middleton. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage
of the Rector of Prestwich; net income, £150, with a
parsonage-house, built in 1846. The chapel, dedicated
to St. George, was consecrated in Nov. 1730, the site
being given by the then Earl of Derby: it was rebuilt
in 1843, at a cost of £1500, raised mainly by subscription; the interior is very neat and commodious. There
are places of worship for dissenters; and excellent
schools. James Lancaster, in 1737, left property now
producing £12. 12. a year, for teaching children.
UNTHANK, a township, in the parish of Skelton,
poor-law union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of
Cumberland, 5½ miles (N. W.) from Penrith; containing 228 inhabitants.
UNTHANK, a township, in the parish of Alnham,
union of Rothbury, N. division of Coquetdale ward
and of Northumberland, 8¼ miles (N. N. E.) from
Rothbury; containing 22 inhabitants. It is on the river
Aln, which passes on the north, and separates it from
Prendick. In the reign of Elizabeth, it belonged to a
family named Unthank. The Hall, now designated
Collingwood House, is pleasantly seated near the river.