Upton, Bishop's (St. John the Baptist)
UPTON, BISHOP'S (St. John the Baptist), a
parish, in the union of Ross, hundred of Greytree,
county of Hereford, 4 miles (N. E. by E.) from Ross;
containing 650 inhabitants. The parish embraces an
elevated ridge of mountain, and consists of 3315 acres.
The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£8. 17. 6.; net income, £708; patrons, the Dean and
Chapter of Hereford. The tithes have been commuted
for £463. 16. to the Dean and Chapter, and £225. 11. to
Upton-Cressett (St. Michael)
UPTON-CRESSETT (St. Michael), a parish, in the
union of Bridgnorth, hundred of Stottesden, S.
division of Salop, 5 miles (W. by S.) from Bridgnorth;
containing 56 inhabitants. The living is a discharged
rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 15. 2½., and
in the patronage of the representatives of the late J.
C. Pelham, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for
£191. 7., and the glebe comprises 4 acres.
UPTON-GRAY, a parish, in the union of Basingstoke, hundred of Bermondspit, Basingstoke and N.
divisions of the county of Southampton, 4 miles (W. S.
W.) from Odiham; containing, with the tything of Hoddington, 504 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual
curacy, in the gift of Queen's College, Oxford: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £490, and there
are 49 acres of impropriate glebe.
Upton-Hellions (St. Mary)
UPTON-HELLIONS (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Crediton, hundred of West Budleigh, Crediton and N. divisions of Devon, 2 miles (N. N. E.) from
Crediton; containing 146 inhabitants. The parish
stretches along the northern bank of the river Creedy,
and comprises by measurement about 800 acres: it has
several quarries of stone suitable for building. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 6. 8.,
and in the gift of the Rev. W. Wellington: the tithes
have been commuted for £170, and there is a glebe of 40
acres. The church, a small neat building, supposed to
have been erected in the 14th century, contains a handsome monument to the Reynell family.
UPTON-LOVELL, a parish, in the union of Warminster, hundred of Heytesbury, Warminster and S.
divisions of Wilts, 1½ mile (S. E. by E.) from Heytesbury; containing 235 inhabitants. This parish, which
comprises 1399a. 15p., is situated on the road from Heytesbury to Salisbury, and intersected by the river Wily.
The manufacture of fine broad-cloth affords employment
to about 400 persons of this and the adjoining villages.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£17. 18. 11½., and in the patronage of the Crown: the
tithes have been commuted for £329. 10., and the glebe
comprises 30 acres. In the chancel of the church is a
recumbent figure of Lord Lovel, from whom the parish
derives its distinguishing appellation. The Rev. John
Crouch, in 1794, bequeathed £500 three per cent, consols., the interest to be applied in teaching children. On
Upton-Lovell down, about two miles from Heytesbury,
is a single intrenchment called Knook Castle, including
about two acres: on the summit of a hill north-west of
Elder Valley, is Bowls Barrow, a large tumulus, that
has been found to contain fourteen human skeletons;
and in the neighbourhood of Knook Castle, near the
north bank of the Wily, is another large barrow, which,
from the number of gold ornaments discovered in it,
has been termed Golden Barrow.
Upton Magna (St. Lucia)
UPTON MAGNA (St. Lucia), a parish, in the union
of Atcham, Wellington division of the hundred of South
Bradford, N. division of Salop, 5¼ miles (E.) from
Shrewsbury; containing 494 inhabitants. The parish
comprises 3129a. 2r. 9p. of land, chiefly arable; a considerable hill on one side forms a rabbit-warren and
sheep-walk, and the remainder is divided into farms:
the soil is generally good, and under profitable cultivation. Coal and limestone are worked to a small extent.
The Shrewsbury canal passes through the parish, and at
one extremity is the river Severn. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £12; net income, £546;
patron, Mrs. Corbet. The church is an ancient structure in the early and later English styles, and consists
of a square embattled tower, and a nave and chancel
separated by a Norman arch; the windows have been
filled with stained glass, presented by Miss Pigott.
UPTON-NOBLE, a parish, in the union of SheptonMallet, hundred of Bruton, E. division of Somerset,
4 miles (N. N. E.) from Bruton; containing 241 inhabitants, and comprising 640 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Batcombe. The
church is ancient.
UPTON-PYNE, a parish, in the union of St. Thomas,
hundred of Wonford, Wonford and S. divisions of
Devon, 3¼ miles (N. by W.) from Exeter; containing
512 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 1800 acres
by measurement; the river Eke bounds it on the south,
and the Thorverton road passes immediately before the
church. Some leather-mills here employ a few persons:
manganese was produced in tolerable quantity about
twenty years since, and the mine is still worked, but
not with much success. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £23. 6. 8., and in the gift of Sir
S. H. Northcote, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted
for £400, and the glebe comprises about 90 acres, with
a house. The church contains a good painting of the
Last Supper, the monument of a crusader, and some remains of ancient stained glass.
Upton-Scudamore (St. Mary)
UPTON-SCUDAMORE (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union and hundred of Warminster, Warminster and
S. divisions of Wilts, 2 miles (N.) from Warminster;
containing 383 inhabitants. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £16. 7. 1., and in the gift of
Queen's College, Oxford. The incumbent's tithes have
been commuted for £480, with a glebe of nearly 23 acres;
and certain impropriate tithes for £105, with a glebe of
Upton-Snodsbury (St. Kenelme)
UPTON-SNODSBURY (St. Kenelme), a parish, in
the union, and Upper division of the hundred, of Pershore, Worcester and W. divisions of the county of
Worcester, 6 miles (E.) from Worcester; containing
340 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises 1661a.
3r. 12p., of level surface, is intersected by the road from
Worcester to Inkberrow; and the Birmingham and
Gloucester railway passes at the distance of about two
miles. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the
king's books at £8; patron and incumbent, the Rev.
Henry Armel Green, M.A.: the impropriate tithes have
been commuted for £100, the vicarial for £119. 13., and
there are 2 acres of glebe. The church is an ancient
structure with a tower, and contains a curious carved
Upton-Upon-Severn (St. Peter and St. Paul)
UPTON-UPON-SEVERN (St. Peter and St. Paul),
a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in
the Lower division of the hundred of Pershore, Upton
and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 10 miles
(S.) from Worcester, and 109 (N. W. by W.) from London; containing 2696 inhabitants. According to Dr.
Stukeley, this was the Upoessa of Ravennas; and the
probability of its having been a Roman station is
strengthened by the discovery of some ancient armour
in the neighbourhood. During the civil war, a bridge of
six arches, erected pursuant to legislative enactment in
the reign of James I., was partly broken down, and a
battery placed in the churchyard, to prevent the approach
of Cromwell and his forces; but the plan was ineffectual,
and the parliamentary troops entered the town. Upton
is situated on the right bank of the river Severn, which
is here navigable for vessels of 100 tons' burthen; it is
neatly built, and the streets are well paved: the surrounding country is in a state of high cultivation, and
the scenery is varied and picturesque. There is a subscription library. A considerable quantity of cider,
brought from Herefordshire and other parts, is shipped
here for conveyance to different places, there being a
harbour for barges, with a wharf for loading and discharging. The market is on Thursday: a handsome
market-house, including an assembly-room and apartments for the meetings of the magistrates, has been
erected by subscription. Fairs are held on Mid-Lent
and Whitsun Thursdays, July 10th, and the Thursday
before October 2nd; a manorial court is held annually
in October, and petty-sessions every alternate Thursday.
The powers of the county debt-court of Upton, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of
Upton. The parish comprises 3003 acres of land, of
which 300 are common or waste; the remainder is in
equal portions of arable and pasture.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£27; net income, £917; patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is a handsome structure, erected,
with the exception of the tower, in 1758; the ancient
spire, from an apprehension of insecurity, was taken
down, and a wooden cupola, covered with copper, substituted, in 1769. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. A charity school for 20 girls was
endowed in 1718, by Richard and Anne Smith, with
property now producing £28 per annum, which was
augmented with a bequest of £5 a year, in 1824, by
Miss Sarah Husband: a boys' school was added in
1797, by a benefaction from George King, which was
vested in the purchase of £100 three per cents., and
£100 four per cent, consols.; and these two foundations
are now incorporated into a national school. Edward
Hall, in 1578, left an estate at present worth about £80
a year, for maintaining a bridge here over the Severn;
and Thomas Morris, alias Woodward, in 1675 bequeathed £185, which sum was invested in land, &c.,
now valued at £35. 10. per annum, for parochial purposes. The poor-law union comprises 22 parishes or
places, and contains a population of 16,886. Dr. John
Dee, the celebrated astrologer in the reign of Elizabeth,
was a native of the town. The late Rev. J. Davison,
B.D., author of some theological works, was rector.
Upton-Warren (St. Michael)
UPTON-WARREN (St. Michael), a parish, in the
union of Droitwich, Upper division of the hundred of
Halfshire, Droitwich and E. divisions of the county of
Worcester, 2½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Brornsgrove;
containing 441 inhabitants. It is situated on the Birmingham and Worcester road, and comprises 2574a. 35p.,
of which 1600 acres are arable, 750 pasture, and 136
woodland; the surface is undulated, the soil partly a
strong clay, and the scenery picturesque. The Stoke
station on the Birmingham and Gloucester railway is
one mile to the east. The river Salwarp or Warren
propels a flour-mill here. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £11. 2. 3½., and in the patronage
of the Earl of Shrewsbury: the tithes have been commuted for £670, and the glebe consists of 80 acres, with
an excellent residence. The church, a plain edifice with
a tower surmounted by a spire, was partly rebuilt in
1793, and has a neat interior. Here is a national school,
endowed with £18 per annum by Elizabeth Lacey and
others, in 1745; also a Church Sunday school. An
annuity of £10 was bequeathed by Alderman Saunders
to the Grocers' Company, London, for apprenticing a
boy of this parish.
Upton-Waters (St. Michael)
UPTON-WATERS (St. Michael), a parish, in the
union of Wellington, Wellington division of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of Salop, 5 miles
(N. by W.) from Wellington; containing 228 inhabitants.
This parish comprises by measurement 732 acres. It is
separated by the river Tern from the parish of High
Ercal; and the village, situated on elevated ground, is
intersected by the road between Wellington and Market-Drayton. A common red stone is quarried for
building purposes. The living is a discharged rectory,
valued in the king's books at £3. 17. 3½., and in the
patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted
for £135, and the glebe comprises 35 acres. The church
is a small neat edifice.
Up-Waltham, Sussex.—See Waltham, Up.
UP-WALTHAM, Sussex.—See Waltham, Up.
Upway (St. Lawrence)
UPWAY (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of
Weymouth, comprising the liberty of Weybey-house,
the tything of Stottingway in the hundred of Culliford-Tree, and that of Elwell in the liberty of WykeRegis and Elwell, Dorchester division of Dorset, 4½
miles (S. W. by S.) from Dorchester; the whole containing 619 inhabitants. The liberty of Weybey-house and
the manor of Upway belong to the Rev. George Gould,
whose ancestors were seated here as early as the reign
of James I.: part of the ancient manor-house is still
remaining, but the family have for some years chiefly
resided at Fleet, in this county. On the estate are some
excellent quarries, from which the stone was taken for
the new church at Fleet. The manor of Stottingway
belongs to the vicars-choral of Salisbury cathedral.
Near the church, at the foot of a steep hill, rises the
small river Way, which runs through the parish, and
falls into the sea at Weymouth. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £18. 3. 1½., and in the
gift of the Bishop of Salisbury: the tithes have been
commuted for £380, and the glebe comprises 46½ acres.
The church is ornamented with an embattled tower
crowned by pinnacles, and has been enlarged. On
Ridgway down are numerous barrows, extending from
that part of the ridge opposite Sutton-Pointz to beyond
Long Bredy, a distance of nearly six miles, in a direction parallel to the ancient Roman road called Via Iceniana.
Upwell (St. Peter)
UPWELL (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Wisbech, partly in the hundred of Wisbech, Isle of
Ely, county of Cambridge, and partly in the hundred
of Clackclose, W. division of the county of Norfolk,
65 miles (S. E. by S.) from Wisbech; containing, with
part of the chapelry of Welney, 4891 inhabitants, of
whom 4300 are in Upwell township. The village is intersected by the river Nene, and the houses extend along
its banks nearly to Outwell and Welney. The country
about Welney, which lies in the cultivated fens of the
Great Bedford Level, has been much improved within
the last thirty years. A handsome suspension-bridge
was erected over the Hundred-Foot river in 1826, at the
expense of the Rev. W. G. Townley, the rector, from a
design by Capt. Sir Samuel Brown. King John granted
a market on Wednesday, and Henry VI. an annual fair;
the former has been discontinued, and the latter is now
only a pleasure-fair. The living is a rectory, valued in
the king's books at £16; net income, £3855; patron,
R. G. Townley, Esq. The church, which, with the
greater part of the parish, is in Norfolk, is a handsome
edifice in the later English style, and has a tower, the
upper part octagonal, surmounted by a lofty spire. The
Rev. Mr. Townley repewed it chiefly at his own expense,
and erected galleries, in 1839, and more recently put up
a beautiful east window of stained glass, representing
the Descent from the Cross. The reading-desk and
pulpit, and other portions of the edifice, are finely
carved. In the chancel are several neat monuments,
two sepulchral brasses, and a brass plate recording the
death of 67 persons here between June 21st and August
13th, 1832, by cholera. At Welney is a chapel of ease.
There are places of worship for Baptists and Primitive
and Wesleyan Methodists. The poor have £180 per
annum, derived from land left by various individuals.
In that part of the parish lying in Cambridgeshire are
the sites of two religious houses, one of which, at Mirmound, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, was founded by
Richard I., and at the Dissolution was valued at
£10. 7. 7.; the other, a small priory of Gilbertines, also
dedicated to the Virgin, was a cell to the house of Sempringham, valued at £13. 6. 1.
Upwood (St. Peter)
UPWOOD (St. Peter), a parish, in the hundred of
Hurstingstone, union and county of Huntingdon,
2¾ miles (S. W. by W.) from Ramsey; containing 378
inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that
of Great Raveley annexed, in the patronage of Miss
Bickerton, and has a net income of £78: the tithes
have been commuted for £340. Robert Gordon and
Anthony Ashton, in 1660, gave some land now let for
£10 per annum, for parochial purposes.