Warbleton (St. Mary)
WARBLETON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Hailsham, hundred of Hawkesborough, rape of
Hastings, E. division of Sussex, 12 miles (E. by S.)
from Uckfield; containing 1300 inhabitants. It comprises 5762a. 23p., of which 2277 acres are arable, 1466
meadow and pasture, 213 in hops, 72 garden and orchard,
and 1677 wood and roughs: the surface is diversified
with hill and dale. Ironstone and sandstone are abundant, and the smelting of the former was at one time
carried on to a great extent. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8., and in the gift
of Dr. John Haviland: the tithes have been commuted
for £930; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe
comprises 38 acres. The church is in the early and
later English styles, with an embattled tower: in the
chancel is a fine brass monument of W. Prestwick,
Dean of Battle, who is habited in his canonicals. The
poor have a few bequests. About two miles and a half
eastward of the church, are some remains of a priory for
Augustine canons built in the 14th year of Henry IV.
WARBLINGTON, a parish, in the union of Havant,
hundred of Bosmere, Fareham and S. divisions of the
county of Southampton, ½ a mile (S. E. by E.) from
Havant; containing, with the chapelry of Emsworth,
2270 inhabitants, of whom 1105 are in Warblington
township. The parish is bounded on the south by
Langston harbour, and situated on the road between
Chichester and Portsmouth. It comprises about 3000
acres, of which 1542 are arable, 444 meadow, and 473
woodland. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £19. 9. 4½., and in the gift of the Rev. W.
Norris: the tithes have been commuted for £740, and
the glebe comprises 30 acres. The church was built
about the beginning of the 13th century, and is partly
Norman, and partly in the early English style, with an
oratory at the end of each aisle. Two other incumbencies
are noticed under the head of Emsworth. In the parish
are some remains of a quadrangular mansion that belonged to the Montacutes and the Cottons, comprising
the gateway and tower, surrounded by a deep fosse.
Warborne, with Pilley.—See Pilley
WARBORNE, with Pilley.—See Pilley.
Warborough cum Shillingford (St. Lawrence)
WARBOROUGH cum Shillingford (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Wallingford, hundred of Ewelme, county of Oxford, 3 miles (N.) from
Wallingford; containing 737 inhabitants, of whom 537
are in Warborough. The parish is partially bounded by
the rivers Thame and Thames, and comprises about
1700 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £350; patrons and impropriators, the President
and Fellows of Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The
church is an ancient edifice, with a tower built in 1666;
the font is of lead, on an octagonal stone shaft, and
among the several interesting monuments is one of
marble to Francis Randolph, Margaret professor of
divinity, and for some time principal of St. Alban's
Hall, Oxford. The Society of Friends have a place of
Warboys (St. Mary Magdalene)
WARBOYS (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the
union of St. Ives, hundred of Hurstingstone, county
of Huntingdon, 7 miles (N. E.) from Huntingdon;
containing 1800 inhabitants. The parish comprises
8103a. 3r. 9p., of which about 2736 acres are arable,
575 grass, and 142 wood; the soil in the high lands is
clay, and in the low grounds fen. A pleasure-fair is
held in the beginning of July, continuing for three
days. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books
at £27. 10.; net income, £1250; patron, T. Daniel, Esq.
Certain tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in
1795, and a commutation has taken place under the
recent act for a rent-charge of £200; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains 109 acres. The church
has been enlarged. There are places of worship for
Baptists and Wesleyans; and a national school is supported by the incumbent, at whose cost the premises
were built. The Rev. Robert Fowler, in 1824, bequeathed
£200, the interest of which is distributed among the
poor of the parish.
Warbreck, with Layton.—See Layton
WARBRECK, with Layton.—See Layton.
Warbstow (St. Werburgh)
WARBSTOW (St. Werburgh), a parish, in the
union of Launceston, hundred of Lesnewth, E. division of Cornwall, 8½ miles (N. E.) from Camelford;
containing 503 inhabitants. It comprises 3237 acres, of
which 1133 are common or waste land; the ground is
hilly, and the soil light. The living is a vicarage, annexed
to that of Treneglos: the church has a curious Norman
font. There are places of worship for Bryanites and
Wesleyans; and a national school.
Warburton (St. Werburgh)
WARBURTON (St. Werburgh), a parish, in the
union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 6½ miles (E. by N.) from
Warrington; containing 509 inhabitants. It comprises
1752 acres, of which 400 are under tillage, 1200 in
meadow and pasture, and 32 uncultivated moss; the
surface is flat, and the chief produce cheese and potatoes.
The rivers Mersey and Bollin run through the parish.
The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the second
mediety of the rectory of Lymm: the tithes have been
commuted for £249. 18., and the glebe comprises three
acres. The church appears to have been originally of
wood and plaster-work, but has received many additions
of brick, of which material a tower was erected at the
east end, in 1711. Here was a monastery of Praæmonstratensian canons, dedicated to St. Werburgh.
Warcop (St. Columba)
WARCOP (St. Columba), a parish, in East ward
and union, county of Westmorland, 3 miles (W. by N.)
from Brough, on the road to Appleby; containing 705
inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the north by
part of the lofty ridge of mountains that extends from
Stainmore to the borders of Scotland. It is intersected
by the river Eden, and comprises about 11,000 acres, of
which a large portion is high waste land: the soil in
some parts is light and sandy, and in others mixed with
red or blue clay; red freestone is quarried for all kinds
of buildings, and lead-mines are in operation. In the
village is an ancient cross, which was recently brought
from the common, at the expense of the lord of the
manor. A large fair takes place on the last day in Sept.
and first day in Oct. called Brough-Hill Fair; it is chiefly
for the sale of cattle, horses, and sheep, but there is also
an extensive traffic carried on in cloth by the Yorkshire
clothiers, and articles of hardware, &c, form part of the
numerous commodities exposed for sale. The living is
a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£9. 5. 1½.; net income, £194; patron and impropriator, the Rev. W. M. S. Preston. The tithes of the township were commuted for land in 1815; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains about 160 acres.
The church is a plain structure, with some handsome
windows. The Wesleyans have a place of worship.
Castle-hill, here, is supposed to be the site of an ancient
castle, and Kirksteads that of a chapel. A singular festival, called the Rush-bearing, is celebrated on St.
Peter's day. Christopher Bainbridge, Archbishop of
York in the reign of Henry VIII., was born at the hamlet
of Burton, in the parish.
WARD-END, a village, in the hamlet of Little
Bromwich, parish and union of Aston, Birmingham
division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of
the county of Warwick, 3 miles (N. E.) from Birmingham. A chapel was erected about the year 1516, but,
the Reformation following immediately after, it is doubtful whether divine service was ever performed in the
building, which fell into a state of dilapidation, and so
continued till the year 1835. At this time, the remains
were taken down, and a church was erected at a cost of
£1500, by voluntary contributions, and licensed by the
bishop, but not consecrated till the 23rd of October,
1841. It is a neat structure of brick coated with Roman
cement, in the early English style, with a small embattled tower, and windows and doorways of stone: there
are 306 sittings, including 178 free. The incumbency is
in the patronage of the Vicar of Aston, and was endowed
with £1000 in the funds, of which £600 have been laid
out in the purchase of 6½ acres of land and three cottages.
The church, like the old chapel, is dedicated to the Holy
Trinity, the Blessed Virgin, and St. Margaret.
Warden (St. James)
WARDEN (St. James), a parish, in the union, and
within the liberty of the Isle, of Sheppy, Upper division
of the lathe of Scray, E. division of Kent, 6¾ miles
(E.) from Queenborough; containing 52 inhabitants.
It comprises 188 acres. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 17. 8½.; net
income, £90; patron, V. B. Simpson, Esq. The tower
of the church was built at the expense of Delmark Banks,
Esq., in 1834, with part of the materials of Old London
Warden (St. Michael)
WARDEN (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of
Hexham, N. W. division of Tindale ward, S. division
of Northumberland, 2½ miles (N. W. by N.) from
Hexham; containing, with the townships of Brokenheugh, Deanraw, and Lipwood, and the parochial chapelries of Newbrough and Haydon, 2987 inhabitants, of
whom 532 are in the township of Warden. This place
derives its name, originally Wardon, from the remarkable
don or hill under which the church and village are beautifully situated on the south-east, and on the rocky
summit of which are vestiges of a circular British camp,
subsequently occupied by the Romans, who raised additional works. Within the area of this encampment, the
bases of buildings and several querns have been found;
and not far from the vicarage-house are traces of a
similar fort, most probably connected with the wall of
Severus, near which the parish is situated. The manor
and church, in 1298, belonged to the monks of Hexham,
to whom they had been granted, according to the record,
"from a time beyond all memory," by Adam de Tyndale.
From the Dissolution the manor was held by the crown
till 1610, since which time it has been the property of
various private families.
The township comprises 2995 acres, of which about
two-thirds are arable, and the remainder, with the exception of 200 acres of woodland, meadow and pasture.
The surface of the parish rises from the banks of the
North and South Tyne rivers to an elevation of about
480 feet. The soil in the valleys is a rich sandy
loam, of lighter quality on the rising grounds, and
on the ridges of the hills, various, and resting upon
limestone, freestone, and whinstone: some collieries,
stone-quarries, and lead-mines are worked. Lead was
wrought in the Hawden and Settlingstones' ground from
1687 to 1697. The Newcastle and Carlisle railway passes
for nearly 8 miles through the parish. The living is a
vicarage, with the livings of Newbrough and Haydon
annexed, valued in the king's books at £8. 16. 3.; net
income, £504; patron, T. W. Beaumont, Esq.; impropriators, the Governors of Greenwich Hospital, the Allgood family, and others. The great tithes of Warden,
exclusively of the chapelry of Haydon, have been commuted for £211, and the small tithes for £267: the
vicar has a glebe of 21 acres. The church, a very
ancient cruciform structure in the early English style,
was almost entirely rebuilt in 1765, and contains 300
sittings: the churchyard is spacious, and ornamented
with rows of beech and elm trees. A school has been
Warden, Chipping (St. Peter and St. Paul)
WARDEN, CHIPPING (St. Peter and St. Paul),
a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union of
Banbury, hundred of Chipping-Warden, S. division
of the county of Northampton, 6¾ miles (N. N. E.)
from Banbury; containing 545 inhabitants. The river
Cherwell passes through the parish, and the Banbury and
Lutterworth road through the village. The living is a
rectory, valued in the king's books at £26. 10., and in the
patronage of the Rt. Hon. Lady Susan North, with a
net income of £277: the tithes have been commuted for
£34. The church is a large and handsome structure of
different styles of architecture, but chiefly of the 14th
century, with a tower of somewhat later date; the open
oak seats and other ancient furniture are still preserved.
Near the churchyard wall are the base and steps of the
old market-cross. William Smart, rector, in 1466 assigned to trustees a certain estate, the rental of which,
now amounting to upwards of £80 per annum, is distributed in coal and clothing to the poor. On the west
side of the parish are the singular British earthworks
called Arberry Banks; and on the south side are the
Caedwalls, commonly called the "Black grounds," a
Roman station, mentioned in the Itinerary of Richard of
WARDEN-LAW, a township, in the parish and union
of Houghton-le-Spring, N. division of Easington
ward and of the county of Durham, 8½ miles (N. E.)
from Durham; containing 60 inhabitants. It was formerly the property of the families of Claxton and Bowes,
and, early in the 17th century, of the Belasyse family.
The township is east of the road between Sunderland
and Durham, and comprises by measurement 440 acres,
of which 240 are arable, 193 grass-land, 1 wood, and 6
waste. It forms a lofty eminence, the highest ground on
the coast of Durham, and is crossed by a railway having
a steam-engine on the summit, for drawing up and letting
down waggons employed in conveying coal from the
Hetton pits. The only remains of the vill of Warden
are a few straggling cottages along the side of the ancient
tract called Salters-way.
Warden, Old (St. Leonard)
WARDEN, OLD (St. Leonard), a parish, in the
union of Biggleswade, hundred of Wixamtree, county
of Bedford, 3¾ miles (W. by S.) from Biggleswade;
containing 630 inhabitants. A market and fair, granted
in 1218, were formerly held here, but have been long
disused. The living is a discharged vicarage, united to
that of Southill. In the cemetery is the mausoleum of
Lord Ongley. An abbey for Cistercian monks from
Rivaulx was founded in the parish in 1135, by Walter
L'Espee; it was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary,
and at the Dissolution had a revenue of £442.
WARDINGTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Cropredy, union and hundred of Banbury, county of Oxford, 5 miles (N. E. by N.) from Banbury; containing,
with the hamlets of Coton and Williamscote, 865 inhabitants, some of whom are employed in the manufacture of
plush and girth-webbing. The chapel is dedicated to St.
Mary Magdalene, and is a small edifice, of plain, and in
some parts even rude, workmanship. The nave is mostly
of the 13th century, and the chancel of the early part of
the 14th, with a good east window: there are two aisles
and a tower.
WARDLE, a township, in the parish of Bunbury,
union of Nantwich, First division of the hundred of
Eddisbury, S. division of Cheshire, 4¼ miles (N. W.)
from Nantwich; containing 181 inhabitants. The
township comprises 1022 acres, the soil of which is clay.
The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £48,
payable to the Haberdashers' Company, London.
Wardle, Lancaster.—See Wuerdale
WARDLE, Lancaster.—See Wuerdale.
WARDLEWORTH, a township, in the parish and
union of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, S. division
of Lancashire; containing 11,400 inhabitants. This
township is in the division of Huddersfield, of which it
forms the south-western extremity; and is partly in the
borough of Rochdale, including the north-eastern part
of the town. Foxholes, in the township, has long been
the seat of the Entwistles, a distinguished Lancashire
family, of whom was Sir Bertyne Entwistle, one of the
heroes of Agincourt. The original mansion was built by
Edmund Entwistle soon after the Reformation, and for
upwards of two centuries presented an interesting specimen of the Elizabethan style of architecture. In 1793
it was displaced by the present house, erected by John
Entwistle, Esq., who served the office of high sheriff of
the county in 1798.—See Rochdale.
Wardley (St. Mary)
WARDLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Uppingham, soke of Oakham, county of Rutland, 4
miles (W. by N.) from Uppingham; containing 59 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road between
Uppingham and Leicester, and bounded on the south by
the river Eye, which separates it from Leicestershire.
It comprises 730 acres, of which 163 are in wood, and
the rest in grass; the soil is a black fertile earth, with a
gravelly substratum. The woodland was formerly part
of Beaumont Chase. The living is a discharged rectory,
with the vicarage of Belton annexed, valued in the king's
books at £10. 16., and in the patronage of the Crown;
net income, £287; the glebe here contains 23 acres.
The church is Norman, and contains, on the south side
of the nave, four handsome arches in that style. A
school is endowed with £10 per annum, and the master
also receives £12 from the trustees of thirty acres of
land belonging to the poor.
WARDLOW, a township, partly in the parish of
Hope, but chiefly in that of Bakewell, hundred of
High Peak, union of Bakewell, N. division of the
county of Derby, 2 miles (E. by S.) from Tideswell;
containing 171 inhabitants, of whom 71 are in Wardlow
Mires. The vicarial tithes were commuted for land in
1810. In making a turnpike-road through the village,
in 1759, a circular heap of stones was opened, and found
to contain the remains of about seventeen bodies, interred
in rude cells or coffins of stone, and supposed to have
been the bodies of men slain during the war between the
houses of York and Lancaster, or of persons interred in
a family burial-place.
Wardour, county of Wilts.—See Tisbury
WARDOUR, county of Wilts.—See Tisbury.
WARDY-HILL, a hamlet, in the parish of Coveney, hundred of South Witchford, union and Isle
of Ely, county of Cambridge; containing 146 inhabitants.