Westoning (St. Mary Magdalene)
WESTONING (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in
the union of Ampthill, hundred of Manshead, county
of Bedford, 4 miles (S. by W.) from Ampthill; containing 732 inhabitants. The living is a discharged
vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9.17., and in
the gift of the Executors of the late J. Everitt, Esq.;
the impropriation belongs to Mrs. Penyston. The great
tithes have been commuted for £355, and the vicarial
for £260; the glebe comprises 32 acres. There is a
place of worship for Baptists.
WESTOVER, a hamlet, in the parish of Drayton,
union of Langport, hundred of Abdick and Bulstone,
W. division of Somerset; containing 12 inhabitants.
WESTOVER, a tything, in the parish and hundred
of Wherwell, union of Andover, Andover and N.
divisions of the county of Southampton, 2½ miles
(S. by W.) from Andover; containing 60 inhabitants.
Weston, Suffolk.—See Stow, West.
WESTOW, Suffolk.—See Stow, West.
Westow (St. Mary)
WESTOW (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Malton, wapentake of Buckrose, E. riding of York;
containing, with the townships of Eddlethorpe, Firby,
and Mennythorpe, 666 inhabitants, of whom 428 are in
Westow township, 2 miles (E. S. E.) from Whitwell.
This parish, which is bounded on the north and west
by the navigable river Derwent, comprises 2917 acres.
The greater portion is arable land, interspersed with
meadow and wood; the surface is undulated, and the
scenery pleasingly varied: limestone is quarried for
building and for burning into lime. The living is a dis
charged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £3. 18. 4.;
patron and appropriator, the Archbishop of York. The
great tithes have been commuted for £575, and the
vicarial for £114. 11.; the glebe contains 30 acres. The
church is an ancient structure, with a square tower.
There are places of worship for dissenters.
West-Park, with Cole, Wiltshire.—See Cole.
WEST-PARK, with Cole, Wiltshire.—See Cole.
Westport (St. Mary)
WESTPORT (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and
hundred of Malmesbury, N. division of Wilts; adjacent to the north-west side of Malmesbury, and containing 1504 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, with the
livings of Brokenborough and Charlton annexed, valued
in the king's books at £16. 17. 8½., and in the patronage
of the Crown; impropriator, the Earl of Suffolk. The
impropriate tithes have been commuted for £64.10.,
and the vicarial for £520; the glebe comprises 45 acres,
and a rent-charge of £34 is payable to the rector of
Bremilham. The church was enlarged in 1841.
WESTRILL, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union
of Rugby, hundred of Guthlaxton, S. division of the
county of Leicester; containing, with Stormore, 8 inhabitants. It lies on the north side of the river Avon,
and comprises, including Stormore, 1620 acres.
WESTROP, a tything, in the parish of Highworth,
union of Highworth and Swindon, hundred of Highworth, Cricklade, and Staple, Swindon and N. divisions of Wilts; with 917 inhabitants.
WEST-ROW, a hamlet, in the parish and union of
Mildenhall, hundred of Lackford, Western division
of Suffolk; containing 1120 inhabitants.
WEST-TOWN, a hamlet, in the parish of Backwell,
union of Bedminster, hundred of Hartcliffe with
Bedminster, Eastern division of Somerset; containing 269 inhabitants.
WEST-TOWN, a tything, in the parish of Wiveliscombe, union of Wellington, Western division of the
hundred of Kingsbury and of the county of Somerset;
containing 2984 inhabitants.
WEST-VILLE, a township, in the union of Boston,
W. division of the soke of Bolingbroke, parts of
Lindsey, county of Lincoln; containing 139 inhabitants. This township, which is not dependent on any
parish, was created by act of parliament, in 1812, on
the occasion of a very extensive drainage of Wildmore,
and the East and West Fens.
WESTWARD, a parish, in the union of Wigton,
Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 2¾ miles (S. E. by S.) from Wigton; containing, with the townships of Brocklebank, Stoneraise,
Rosley, and Woodside, 1311 inhabitants. This place
derives its name from its situation in the great forest of
Inglewood, of which it formed the western ward, under
the charge of the forester. The parish is bounded on
the east by the Wampool river, and on the south by the
branches of the river Waver; and comprises by measurement 1176 acres, of which nearly 300 are woodland, 180
in roads and waste, and the remainder chiefly arable.
It abounds with limestone, red-freestone, and slate, all
of excellent quality, of which there are extensive quarries,
affording employment to many of the labouring class;
and several seams of cannel and other coal have been
found. The living is a perpetual curacy, net income,
£120; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter
of Carlisle: the tithes were commuted for land in 1811.
The church is situated on an eminence in the township
of Stoneraise. An additional church was erected by
subscription in 1840, a neat structure in the later English style. In Stoneraise, about a mile and a half north
of the church, and on the Roman road from Lugovallum
(Carlisle) to Volantium or Virosidum (Ellenborough), are
the remains of Old Carlisle, a considerable Roman city,
which Horsley supposes to have been the Olenacum of
the Notitia, where the Ala Herculea and Ala Augusta
were posted. Antiquaries, however, differ with respect
to the right name of this important station, which, with
its appendages, occupied many acres of ground; its site
is still overspread with the ruins and foundations of
numerous buildings, with fragments of altars, equestrian
statues, images, inscriptions, and many other relics.
The walls inclosed a quadrilateral area, 170 yards long
and 120 yards broad, with obtuse angles, and an entrance
on each side; and were surrounded by a double ditch.
Near a place called the Heights, in another part of the
parish, vestiges of several square and circular intrenchments may be traced, though many of them, since the
inclosure of the lands, have been levelled with the
ground. Ilekirk Hall, in Stoneraise, anciently called
Hildkirk, from a hermitage dedicated to St. Hilda, which
was granted by John, in the 16th of his reign, to the
abbey of Holme-Cultram, is now a farmhouse. It was
for some time the residence of Richard Barwise, a man
of extraordinary stature and prodigious strength.
WESTWATER, a tything, in the parish, union, and
hundred of Axminster, Honiton and Southern divisions
of Devon, 2 miles (N. W.) from Axminster; containing
127 inhabitants. It is situated a little to the east of the
Westwell (St. Mary)
WESTWELL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
West Ashford, hundred of Calehill, lathe of Shepway, E. division of Kent, 2½ miles (E. S. E.) from Charing; containing 1082 inhabitants. It is on the road
to Folkestone, and comprises 5199a. 1r. 32p., of which
236 acres are waste, 65 road, and the remainder arable
and pasture, with 1392 acres of woodland. The living
is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Archbishop of
Canterbury (the appropriator), valued in the king's
books at £13: the great tithes have been commuted for
£606, and the vicarial for £333.15.; the glebe comprises 7 acres. The church is a spacious and elegant
structure in the later English style. Here is situated
the workhouse of the West Ashford union.
Westwell (St. Mary)
WESTWELL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Witney, hundred of Bampton, county of Oxford, 2
miles (W. S. W.) from Burford; containing 180 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books
at £5. 3. 9.; net income, £159; patrons, the Dean and
Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. The church, situated
on an eminence, is in the Norman style: on the north
and south sides are circular-arched doorways, with zigzag ornaments; in the nave is a mural monument to
Charles Trindor, and on the south side is the recumbent
effigy of an ecclesiastic of the time of Elizabeth.
WESTWICK, a hamlet, in that part of the parish of
Oakington which is in the hundred of Chesterton,
union of Chesterton, county of Cambridge, 5£ miles
(N. N. W.) from Cambridge; containing 64 inhabitants.
The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £100.
WESTWICK, a township, in the parish of Gainford, union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 2
miles (S. E.) from Barnard-Castle; containing 67 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south by the river Tees,
over which is a lofty bridge of one arch leading into the
parish of Rokeby, and also connecting the counties of
York and Durham.
Westwick (St. Botolph)
WESTWICK (St. Botolph), a parish, in the Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Tunstead, E. division of Norfolk, 2¾ miles (S.) from
North Walsham; containing 192 inhabitants. The
parish comprises 932 acres, of which 20 are common or
waste land. It is chiefly the property of J. Petre, Esq.,
whose seat, Westwick House, is a splendid mansion,
beautifully situated in a park embellished with plantations, and some fine sheets of water. At a short distance from the house, is an obelisk ninety feet high, the
summit of which commands a fine view of the sea-coast
and of the adjacent country. The living is a discharged
rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 13. 9., and in
the gift of Mr. Petre: the tithes have been commuted
for £171. 11., and the glebe comprises 16 acres. The
church is a handsome structure in the decorated and
later English styles, with a lofty tower; it was beautified in 1841, at the expense of the patron.
WESTWICK, a township, in the parish and liberty
of Ripon, W. riding of York, 3½ miles (W. by S.) from
Boroughbridge; containing 18 inhabitants. It is situated to the south and west of the river Ure, and comprises about 411 acres of land.
WESTWOOD, a hamlet, in the parish of Southfleet, union of Dartford, hundred of Axton, Dartford, and Wilmington, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone,
W. division of Kent; containing 89 inhabitants.
WESTWOOD, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish
of Stoneleigh, union of Warwick, Kenilworth division of the hundred of Knightlow, S. division of the
county of Warwick, 3 miles (S.) from Coventry; containing about 500 inhabitants. The church, dedicated
to St. John the Baptist, was consecrated 25th July 1844.
It is in the decorated English style, with a campanile
turret; contains 260 sittings; and was built by subscription, at the cost of £1600, of which sum £600 were
contributed by the Rev. Vaughan Thomas, and £700 by
Lord Leigh, who also gave £1000 towards the endowment. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Stoneleigh. There is a parsonagehouse, and good schools are supported.
WESTWOOD, a parish, in the union of Bradford,
forming a detached portion of the hundred of Elstub
and Everley, locally in the hundred of Bradford,
Westbury and N. divisions, and Trowbridge and Bradford sub-divisions, of Wilts, 2 miles (S. W.) from Bradford; containing 631 inhabitants. The living is annexed
to the vicarage of Great Bradford.
WESTWOOD PARK, an extra-parochial liberty,
in the Upper division of the hundred of Halfshire,
Droitwich and E. divisions of the county of Worcester,
2¼ miles (W. N. W.) from Droitwich; containing 25 inhabitants, and comprising 730 acres. The road from
Ombersley to Droitwich passes on the south. Westwood House, situated on a well-wooded eminence, is a
noble edifice of brick, surrounded by tastefully arranged
pleasure-grounds, with a fine lake on the west of the
park: it is the seat of Sir J. S. Pakington, Bart., M.P.
for the borough of Droitwich. A priory dedicated to
the Blessed Virgin, for six nuns of the order of Fontevrault, was founded in the reign of Henry II., and at the
Dissolution had a revenue of £75. 18. 11.
WESTWOODSIDE, a hamlet, in the parish of
Haxey, union of Gainsborough, W. division of the
wapentake of Manley, parts of Lindsey, county of
Lincoln; containing 626 inhabitants.