Wheatacre (All Saints)
WHEATACRE (All Saints), a parish, in the union
of Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Clavering, E.
division of Norfolk, 4¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Beccles;
containing 176 inhabitants. It is bounded on the northeast by the river Waveney, and comprises by measurement 1147 acres, of which 420 are arable, 653 meadow
and pasture, 56 woodland, and 18 waste. The living is
a discharged rectory, with that of Barnby and the vicarage of Mutford annexed, valued in the king's books at
£6. 6. 5½.; net income, £660; patrons, the Master and
Fellows of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge. The
tithes of Wheatacre have been commuted for £208, and
the glebe comprises 57 acres. The church is chiefly in
the early English style, with a square tower.
Wheatacre-Burgh.—See Burgh St. Peter.
WHEATACRE-BURGH.—See Burgh St. Peter.
Wheatenhurst, or Whitminster (St. Andrew)
WHEATENHURST, or Whitminster (St. Andrew), a parish, and the head of a union, in the Lower
division of the hundred of Whitstone, E. division of
the county of Gloucester, 7¼ miles (S. W.) from Gloucester; containing 391 inhabitants, and comprising 1238
acres. It is bounded on the north-west by the river
Severn; the Gloucester and Berkeley and the Stroud
canals pass through the parish, and the village is situated
on the road from Gloucester to Bristol. The living is
a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £7.
12. 3½., and has a net income of £135; the patronage
belongs to the Ely family. The tithes have been commuted for £266. 10; the glebe comprises 11½ acres.
Wheatenhurst poor-law union comprises 14 parishes or
places, containing a population of 7970.
WHEATFIELD, a parish, in the union of Thame,
hundred of Pirton, county of Oxford, 2¼ miles (S.)
from Tetsworth; containing 99 inhabitants. It comprises about 1000 acres. The soil is generally a fine loam
resting, in the higher lands, on chalk, and in the lower,
on clay. The surface is partly flat and partly undulated,
and watered by a small rivulet which separates the parish
from Adwell and Tetsworth. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £9. 10. 10., and in the gift
of C. V. Spencer, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted
for £230, and the glebe comprises 30 acres.
Wheathampstead (St. Helen)
WHEATHAMPSTEAD (St. Helen), a parish, in
the union of St. Alban's, hundred of Dacorum, county
of Hertford, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from St. Alban's; containing 1871 inhabitants. The rebellious barons here
assembled their forces against Edward II., in 1311, on
which occasion two nuncios, sent by the pope, endeavoured to restore peace between the contending parties,
when the papal authority was rejected by the former.
The parish comprises 4999a. 2r. 30p., of which 3543 acres
are arable, 714 pasture and wood, 473 in homesteads and
gardens, and 26S common and waste. The St. Alban's
races are held on the ground called No-man's Land,
which extends into this parish. The living is a rectory,
with that of Harpenden annexed, valued in the king's
books at £42. 1. 10½.; net income, £1356; patron, the
Bishop of Lincoln. The incumbent's tithes have been
commuted for £770; the glebe comprises 40 acres, and
a rent-charge of £576 is payable to the Dean and Chapter
of Westminster. The church is a cruciform structure,
chiefly of early English character, with a central tower,
and contains 500 sittings, of which 200 are free; the
font is a curious specimen of the early decorated style.
There is a place of worship for Independents. James
Marshall, in 1719, bequeathed some property, the rental
of which, amounting to £184. 15. per annum, is equally
divided between the parishes of Wheathampstead and
Harpenden, and expended in apprenticing children. John
Bostock, abbot of St. Alban's, a learned divine and poet
in the time of Henry VI., was born here, and was commonly called John of Wheathampstead.
Wheathill (Holy Trinity)
WHEATHILL (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union
of Cleobury-Mortimer, hundred of Stottesden, S.
division of Salop, 9½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Ludlow;
containing 140 inhabitants. This parish, which is on the
road from Bridgnorth to Ludlow, comprises 1424 acres.
There is a small quarry of excellent freestone. The village was formerly of more importance, and had a weekly
market and an annual fair, granted by charter of Edward
I., both of which have been long discontinued. The living
is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 5. 7½.,
and in the gift of the Rev. John Churton: the tithes
have been commuted for £201, and.the glebe comprises
93 acres. The church was originally in the Norman
style, of which many interesting details are remaining,
with additions of later date.
Wheathill (St. John the Baptist)
WHEATHILL (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in
the union of Wincanton, hundred of Whitley, W. division of Somerset, 4 miles (W. by S.) from CastleCary; containing 28 inhabitants. It is on the road from
Castle-Cary to Somerton, and comprises about 600 acres,
principally in pasture. The springs in the vicinity are
strongly impregnated with sulphur. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 5. 2£.,
and in the patronage of Mrs. Harbin: the tithes have
been commuted for £73, and the glebe comprises 27
acres. The church is ancient.
Wheatley, Lancaster.—See Thornley.
WHEATLEY, Lancaster.—See Thornley.
WHEATLEY, a chapelry, in the parish of Cuddesden, union of Headington, hundred of Bullingdon,
county of Oxford, 5½ miles (E. by S.) from Oxford;
containing 997 inhabitants. A post-office is established
in the village. The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary: the
living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £120; patron
and appropriator, the Bishop of Oxford. The tithes were
commuted for land in 1809. Bishop Moss, in 1811, bequeathed £3000 for the foundation of a national school,
and for other charitable uses 3 in pursuance of which,
schoolrooms have been provided, and £1500 given by the
trustees as a permanent endowment, producing, with
subscriptions, £100 per annum. Lady Curzon, in 1692,
assigned lands now producing £15 per annum, for apprenticing children. Dr. Cyril Jackson, in 1816, gave
£166. 13. three per cent, consols., for clothing the poor;
and the rental of the town meadow, amounting to £26.10.,
is applied to general relief. The remains of a Roman
villa were discovered in 1845.
Wheatley, York.—See Sandall, Long.
WHEATLEY, York.—See Sandall, Long.
WHEATLEY-CARR, a township, locally in the parochial chapelry of Newchurch, in the union of Burnley, parish of Whalley, Higher division of the hundred
of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 3¾ miles
(W. S. W.) from Colne; containing 53 inhabitants. This
township, anciently called Whitley-Carre, comprises 142
acres, and has a small village. Having, with ReedleyHallows, Filley-Close, and New Laund, all ancient vaccaries of Pendle, been allotted to no chapelry, it is considered as still belonging to the Castle parish, in consequence of which the inhabitants marry at Clitheroe.
Wheatley, North (St. Peter)
WHEATLEY, NORTH (St. Peter), a parish, in
the union of East Retford, North-Clay division of the
wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of
Nottingham, 5¼ miles (N. E.) from East Retford; containing 424 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement
2144 acres: the soil is fertile, producing wheat much
esteemed for its quality; and there are some quarries of
gypsum. The village is pleasantly situated on the south
side of the road to Gainsborough. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £3.
18. 11½., and in the gift of Lord Middleton: the great
tithes were commuted for £370, and the vicarial for
£246. 13.; the glebe comprises 23 acres. The chancel
of the church was rebuilt in 1824. There is a place of
worship for Wesleyans.
Wheatley, South (St. Helen)
WHEATLEY, SOUTH (St. Helen), a parish, in
the union of East Retford, North Clay division of the
wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of
Nottingham, 5½ miles (N. E.byE.) from East Retford;
containing 41 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises
694 acres, is separated from North Wheatley by a rivulet
that flows along a deep and narrow valley. The living
is a discharged rectory, in the patronage of the Chapter
of Southwell, valued in the king's books at £6. 14. 2.;
net income, £140. The church is a small structure.
WHEATON-ASTON, a chapelry, in the parish of
Lapley, union of Penkridge, W. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of Stafford, 5£ miles (W. by S.) from Penkridge; containing
706 inhabitants. This is a large, irregularly built village.
Fairs for cattle, &c, are held on April 20th and Nov.
1st. Besides the chapel of ease, are places of worship
for Independents and Primitive Methodists.
WHEDDICAR, a township, in the parish of St. Bees,
union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 2½ miles (E. by S.)
from Whitehaven; containing 59 inhabitants.
WHEELOCK, a township, in the parish of Sandbach, union of Congleton, hundred of Northwich,
S. division of the county of Chester, 1½ mile (S. S. W.)
from Sandbach; containing 574 inhabitants. It comprises 652 acres, the soil of which is a sandy loam. The
Grand Trunk canal passes through, and on its banks are
commodious wharfs and warehouses. There are two
silk-factories, a cotton-factory, and two breweries; but
the chief trade of the place is in salt, of which large
quantities are extracted from brine found at a depth of
60 yards, on both sides of the river Wheelock. A district church, dedicated to Christ, has been erected, of
which the incumbent has a net income of £150; patron,
the Vicar of Sandbach. The impropriate tithes have
been commuted for £75, and the vicarial for £49. 14. 3.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans, and another
WHEELTON, a township, in the parish and hundred
of Leyland, union of Chorley, N. division of the county
of Lancaster, 3 miles (N. E. by N.) from Chorley, on
the road to Blackburn 5 containing 1331 inhabitants.
In the reign of Henry III., or early in that of Edward I.,
Henry de Quelton granted to Sir Adam de Hocton,
for the annual rent of one barbed arrow, or four marks,
at Michaelmas, all his lands in the town of "Quelton."
Whelton-cum-Hepay was anciently considered as part
of the manor of Hoghton; and in the 32nd of Elizabeth,
Thomas Hoghton, Esq., who was slain at Lea Hall, by
Thomas Langton, Baron of Newton, possessed the manor
under the crown. The township comprises 1095 acres,
chiefly pasture and meadow; about 100 acres are moorland: the surface is undulated and hilly, and the soil
various, some being clay, and some light land. Abundance of stone is obtained for building; good flagstone
is quarried, and coal is found, but not worked. Robert
Parke, Esq., of Withnell Hall, is lord of the manor; and
John Heys, Esq., of Gorse Hall, Alfred Silvester, Esq.,
of Atherton, William Talbot, Esq., and William Blackledge, Esq., are chief proprietors of the soil. Wall-Croft,
with 100 customary acres, is the property of the Blackledge family. A cotton-mill in Wheelton is the property
of Hugh Unsworth, Esq.; and here are some printworks, at present not in operation. The road from
Chorley to Blackburn passes through the township,
which is skirted by the Leeds and Liverpool canal. The
corn tithes have been commuted for £50, and the vicarial
for £66. The Wesleyans have a place of worship 5 and
there is a national school.
Wheldrake (St. Helen)
WHELDRAKE (St. Helen), a parish, in the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, union and E. riding of
York, 3½ miles (E. N. E.) from Escrick, and 7½ (S. E.)
from York; containing, with the township of Langwith,
722 inhabitants, of whom 6S2 are in Wheldrake township. The parish comprises 4431a. 1r. 19p., chiefly
arable land: the surface is level and well wooded, the
hedge-rows being generally planted with thriving oaktrees j the soil is a strong loam, except on the moor,
where it is of a sandy quality. For a considerable distance, the Derwent forms the eastern boundary, but at
the south-eastern extremity the parish stretches across
the river, where it constitutes a valuable tract of meadow
land called Wheldrake lugs, which admits of being mown
every year without the application of manure. Lord
Wenlock is lord of the manor, and owner of about fourfifths of the soil. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £25. 17- 3£., and in the patronage of the
Archbishop of York, with a net income of £430: the
tithes were commuted in 1769 for land and a money
payment, with the exception of those of Langwith. The
church is a large edifice with an ancient stone tower; the
nave and chancel, which are of brick, were built in 1779.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A national
school is partly supported by an endowment of £17. 8.
WHELFORD, a hamlet, in the parish of Kempsford,
union of Cirencester, hundred of BrightwellsBarrow, E. division of the county of Gloucester;
containing 178 inhabitants.
Whelpington, Kirk (St. Bartholomew)
WHELPINGTON, KIRK (St. Bartholomew), a
parish, in the union of Bellingham, N. E. division of
Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland; containing, with the townships of Great Bavington, Capheaton, Catcherside, Coldwell, Crogdean, Fawns, Little and
West Harle, and West Whelpington, 705 inhabitants,
of whom 241 are in Kirk-Whelpington township, 21
miles (N. W.) from Newcastle. In the reign of King
John, we find Richard de Umfraville making " his whole
court at Whelpington" witness to a grant to the monks
of Kelso; and the place for some time subsequently
continued in this family, of whom Gilbert, in 1267, obtained from Henry III. liberty to hold a weekly market
and annual fair here, which privileges, however, remained in force only for a very short period. The
family of Whelpington also had possessions here, one
of whom, Robert, was representative of Newcastle in
parliament in 1412, 1422, and 1423, and mayor of
that town in 1435 and 1438. The parish, exclusively
of Capheaton, which is insulated, measures 5 miles from
east to west, and 6 from north to south; it is a hilly
district, for the most part composed of sheep and dairy
farms, and on the west and north sides lies a broad belt
of high and heathy moor. The soil is very various, in
some places a rich black loam; limestone and sandstone
are abundant, and the moors afford an almost inexhaustible supply of peat for fuel. The township consisted
wholly of common until 1717, when the lands, comprising 1900 acres, were inclosed: the village is on the
north side of the river Wansbeck, which has its source
in the parish, and is crossed here by a stone bridge built
in 1819. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £7. 3. 4., and in the patronage of the Bishop
of Durham, with a net income of £288; the glebe contains 210 acres. The church, which is ancient, with a
low tower, has undergone many repairs, and constitutes
the remains of a much larger edifice. There is a place of
worship for Presbyterians in connexion with the Church
of Scotland; and a national school is supported. A
spring here, the water of which is impregnated with sulphur, has been found efficacious in chronic disorders.
In various parts of the parish are traces of circular and
rectilinear earthworks, probably thrown up in the border
wars, for the protection of cattle from the moss-troopers.
Whelpington Tower, now the vicarage-house, was anciently fortified.
WHELPINGTON, WEST, a township, in the parish
of Kirk-Whelpington, union of Bellingham, N. E.
division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 15½ miles (W.) from Morpeth; containing 56
inhabitants. This place was successively the property
of the Umfravilles, Lisles, Herons, and Milbanks, the
last of whom sold it in 1796. It consists of the two
lordships of Ray and West Whelpington. The village,
at one time considerable, stood proudly on the northern
margin of the river Wansbeck, on an elevated plain
which slopes gently towards the east and is defended on
all sides by a whinstone precipice: no person has resided
here within memory; and Ray has also decreased very
much in buildings and population. Horn's Castle, situated on a commanding eminence in the township, has
been converted into a farmhouse. There are several
earthworks within its limits; also the Waney Crag, a
huge sandstone rock; and the district exhibits many
interesting features in natural history.
Whenby (St. Martin)
WHENBY (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of
Easingwould, wapentake of Bulmer, N. riding of
York, 2½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Bransby; containing
124 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement
1390 acres, of which about two-thirds are arable, and
the remainder meadow and pasture; the surface is undulated, and the soil generally a rich clay loam. The
living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books
at £4. 8. 4., and in the gift of W. Garforth, Esq.: the
great tithes have been commuted for £120, and the
vicarial for £105; the glebe consists of 10 acres. The
church is an ancient structure, with a tower.
WHEPSTEAD, a parish, in the union and hundred
of Thingoe, W. division of Suffolk, 4¼ miles (S. S. W.)
from Bury St. Edmund's; containing 681 inhabitants,
and comprising about 2789 acres. Plumpton, an ancient
house here, is the seat of Lieut.-Gen. Sir Francis Thomas
Hammond. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £14. 4. 2.; net income, £468; patron and
incumbent, the Rev. T. Image. Thomas Sparke, in
1721, left land now producing an income of about £21,
for which ten children are educated; and the parish is
entitled to a share of certain bequests by Sir Robert
Drury and Sir Robert Jarvis, which, together with the
interest of £200 given by J. W. Allen, Esq., is distributed among the poor.
Wherstead (St. Mary)
WHERSTEAD (St. Mary), a parish, in the incorporation and hundred of Samford, E. division of Suffolk, 2¾ miles (S. by W.) from Ipswich; containing
238 inhabitants. At a very early period here was a
small religious foundation, united to the priory of St.
Peter and St. Paul, Ipswich. The parish comprises
2019a. lr. 20p., of which 1466 acres are arable, 277
meadow and pasture, 244 woodland and plantations, 32
in gardens and homesteads, and 19 road; the surface is
diversified with hill and dale, and the scenery, especially
on the banks of the river Orwell, is beautifully picturesque. Wherstead Lodge, a handsome mansiou, is the
seat of Sir Robert Harland, Bart. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8.,
and in the patronage of the Crown; impropriator, Sir
Robert. The great tithes have been commuted for
£401. 3., and the vicarial for £157. 7.; the glebe comprises 17 acres.
Wherwell (Holy Cross)
WHERWELL (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union
of Andover, hundred of Wherwell, Andover and N.
divisions of the county of Southampton, 3¾ miles (S.
S. E.) from Andover; containing, with the tythings of
Fullerton and Westover, 664 inhabitants. This place
was distinguished as the site of a Benedictine nunnery
founded and amply endowed by Queen Elfrida, about
the year 986, in expiation of the murder of Edward the
Martyr after the death of his father, Edgar, King of
England, her second consort. Here she passed the remainder of her life; and the convent, which was dedicated to the Holy Cross and St. Peter, flourished till the
Dissolution, when its revenue was returned at £403.
12. 10. The parish comprises 3261 acres, including 40
acres of common or waste; and is intersected by the
rivers Test and Ande, which latter falls into the Redbridge and Andover canal. The surface is varied, and
richly wooded. A fair for sheep is held on the 24th of
September. The living is a vicarage, with the livings of
Bullington and Tufton annexed, valued in the king's
books at £14; net income, £301; patron, Colonel
Iremonger, as owner of the sinecure rectory, which was
a prebend in the nunnery of Wherwell, and is valued in
the king's books at £44. 11. 0½. The great tithes of
Wherwell have been commuted for £595, and the vicarial for £204; the glebe comprises 5 acres. In one of
the recesses of an extensive wood is a stone cross, with
the following inscription on its base: "About the year
of our Lord dcccclxiii, upon this spot, beyond the
time of memory called Dead Man's Plack, tradition reports that Edgar (sirnamed the Peaceable), King of England, in the ardour of youth, love, and indignation, slew
with his own hand his treacherous and ungrateful favourite, Earl Athelwold, owner of the forest of Harewood, in
resentment of the earl's having basely betrayed his royal
confidence, and perfidiously married his intended bride
the beauteous Elfrida, daughter of Ordgar, Earl of Devonshire, after wife to King Edgar and by him mother
of King Etheldred the 2nd; which Queen Elfrida, after
Edgar's death, murdered his eldest son King Edward
the Martyr, and founded the nunnery of Whorwell."
WHESSOE, a township, in the parish of Haughtonle-Skerne, union of Darlington, S. E. division of
Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 2½ miles (N. by W.) from Darlington; containing
118 inhabitants. It comprises 1402 acres, of which 888
are arable, 477 grass-land, 7 wood, and 30 in roads and
waste; the soil is a strong clay. The Stockton and
Darlington, and the York and Newcastle, railways, pass
through the township. The tithes were commuted in
1838 for £43. 11.6. Charles Colling, Esq., who contributed much to the improvement of short-horned cattle,
resided at Ketton House here.
WHESTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Tideswell,
union of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 1¼ mile (W.) from Tideswell; containing 65 inhabitants. The tithes have been
commuted for £30 payable to an impropriator, £4. 19.
to the vicar, aud £15. 9. to the Bishop of Lichfield.
WHETHAM, a tything, in the parish, union, and
hundred of Calne, Chippenham and Calne, and N. divisions of Wilts; containing 200 inhabitants.
Whetmore, Salop.—See Buraston.
WHETMORE, Salop.—See Buraston.
Whetstone (St. Peter)
WHETSTONE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union
of Blaby, hundred of Guthlaxton, S. division of the
county of Leicester, 5¼ miles (S. S. W.) from Leicester;
containing 956 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded
on the north-west by the river Soar, comprises 2300
acres. Its soil is principally sand, alternated with clay
of good quality for brick-making, for which there are
some kilns; the surface is generally level. A small
number of the population is employed in frame-work
knitting. The living is annexed to the vicarage of
Enderby: the tithes were commuted for land in 1764.
WHETSTONE, a hamlet and chapelry, in the parishes of Fryern-Barnet and Finchley, Finsbury
division of the hundred of Ossulstone, union of Barnet, county of Middlesex, 8 miles (N. N. W.) from
Loudon; containing 782 inhabitants. The living is a
perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of London, and of Trustees; net income, £120. The chapel,
dedicated to St. John, has had a district assigned to it
under the 59th of George III.