WICKHAM, a chapelry, in the parish of Welford,
union of Newbury, hundred of Kintbury-Eagle,
county of Berks, 5½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Speenhamland; containing 202 inhabitants. The chapel,
dedicated to St. Swithin, has a tower and chancel in the
Norman style; an aisle was added in 1824, at the cost
of the Rev. Henry Sawbridge, rector of Welford.
WICKHAM, a chapelry, in the parish and union of
Spalding, wapentake of Elloe, parts of Holland,
county of Lincoln, 3¼ miles (N. W. by N.) from Spalding; containing 57 inhabitants. The living is a donative curacy; net income, £33; patrons, the Governors
of Spalding Free Grammar School. The chapel, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is in ruins.
Wickham (St. Nicholas)
WICKHAM (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union
of Fareham, hundred of Titchfield, Fareham and S.
divisions of the county of Southampton, 4 miles (S.
by E.) from Bishop's-Waltham; containing, with Wickham-Forest extra-parochial, 1164 inhabitants. The
parish is on the road from London to Gosport, and
comprises 2433 acres, of which 187 are common or
waste land. Courts leet and baron are held annually;
and a fair for cattle on May 20th. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 2. 8½.; net
income, £578; patron, W. Rashleigh, Esq. The village
is remarkable as the birthplace, in 1324, of the munificent
prelate, William of Wykeham; and as the residence of
Dr. Joseph Warton, the poet, who died here in 1800.
WICKHAM, BISHOP'S, a parish, in the union of
Witham, hundred of Thurstable, N. division of
Essex, 2½ miles (S. by E.) from Witham; containing
544 inhabitants. It derives the affix to its name from
the appropriation of the manor to the bishops of London,
who had formerly a palace here. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £12. 3. 4., and in the gift
of the Bishop: the tithes have been commuted for £450,
and the glebe comprises 80 acres. The church is a
small edifice, with a belfry turret of wood.
Wickham, Childs (St. Mary)
WICKHAM, CHILDS (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Evesham, Lower division of the hundred of
Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester,
5¼ miles (W. by S.) from Chipping-Campden; containing,
with the hamlet of Mircott, 469 inhabitants. The parish
comprises about 1860 acres of land; the soil is principally clay, and the surface flat. The living is a
discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£7. 16. 10.; net income, £105; patron and incumbent,
the Rev. T. Marsden; impropriator, Sir T. Phillips, Bart.
The tithes were commuted for land in 1763; the glebe
comprises about 75 acres.
Wickham, East (St. Michael)
WICKHAM, EAST (St. Michael), a parish, in the
union of Dartford, hundred of Lessness, lathe of
Sutton-at-Hone, W. division of Kent, 3½ miles (W.
N. W.) from Crayford; containing 555 inhabitants. It
comprises 2310a. 8p., of which 890 acres are arable, 936
meadow, 111 pasture, and 294 wood. The living is
annexed to the vicarage of Plumstead. Part of the lands
and tithes were given by the famous admiral, Sir John
Hawkins, in the reign of Elizabeth, to the hospital for
distressed mariners founded by him at Chatham, to
which they still belong. William Forster, in 1727,
assigned some land in trust, among other purposes, to
erect and endow a school; the income is £68.
Wickham-Market (All Saints)
WICKHAM-MARKET (All Saints), a parish, in
the union of Plomesgate, hundred of Wilford, E.
division of Suffolk, 12½ miles (N. E.) from Ipswich;
containing 1400 inhabitants. The village occupies an
elevated site rising from the river Deben. As its name
implies, it was formerly a market-town; it had also a
shire-hall, where sessions were held, but the building
was taken down a few years since by the lord of the
manor. The first stone of a new building for public
purposes was laid on New-Year's day, 1846. The road
from London to Yarmouth passes through the village.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £6. 16. 8., and has a net income of £208; it is
in the patronage of the Crown, and the impropriation
belongs to Pemberton's charity at Ipswich. There is a
glebe of 32 acres. The church, situated on an eminence
commanding a most extensive prospect, is partly in the
decorated and partly in the later English style, with an
octagonal tower surmounted by a lofty spire, which
forms a conspicuous landmark. Here is a place of
worship for Independents. The old town lands consist
of 17 acres, the bequests of several individuals, and the
new lands of 23 acres, purchased with a bequest of £300
by Anne Roberts, in 1730, for teaching children; the
whole produce £107 per annum, of which two-tenths
are appropriated to a school, one-tenth to the apprenticing of children, two-tenths to the repairs of the church,
and the residue to the poor. A workhouse for Plomesgate hundred has been erected here: the union comprises
forty parishes or places, and contains a population of
21,051. Mr. John Kirby, compiler of The Suffolk Traveller, was for some time resident in the parish.
Wickham St. Paul (All Saints)
WICKHAM ST. PAUL (All Saints), a parish, in
the union of Sudbury, hundred of Hinckford, N.
division of Essex, 4½ miles (N. by E.) from Halstead;
containing 476 inhabitants. This parish is about six
miles in circumference; the soil is light, in some parts
very fertile. The village is pleasantly situated, and
consists of neat well-built houses, ranged round an extensive green. The living is a rectory, in the patronage
of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, London, valued
in the king's books at £9: the tithes have been commuted for £400, and the glebe comprises 20 acres. The
church is a substantial edifice, with a square embattled
tower. The rent of a field, amounting to £11. 10., is
given to the poor.
Wickham-Skeith (St. Andrew)
WICKHAM-SKEITH (St. Andrew), a parish, in
the union and hundred of Hartismere, W. division of
Suffolk, 2 miles (N. N. W.) from Thwaite; containing
574 inhabitants. It comprises 1768a. 2p., of which
about 35 acres are roads and waste, and the remainder
arable and pasture land in good cultivation. The living
is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£5. 8. 1½., and in the gift of the Rev. C. Garrard; impropriators, the landowners. The great tithes have
been commuted for £422, and the vicarial for £129. 10.;
the glebe comprises 10 acres. The church is a handsome structure, chiefly in the later English style, with a
square tower, and a north and south porch.
Wickham, West (St. Mary)
WICKHAM, WEST (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union of Linton, hundred of Chilford, county of
Cambridge, 4¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Linton; containing 572 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £88; patron and impropriator, the
Earl of Hardwicke. The tithes were commuted for
land and a money payment in 1812.
Wickham, West (St. John the Baptist)
WICKHAM, WEST (St. John the Baptist), a
parish, in the union of Bromley, hundred of Ruxley,
lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W. division of Kent, 2¾
miles (S. S. W.) from Bromley; containing 651 inhabitants. It comprises 2645a. 2r. 6p., of which 335 acres
are in wood. The soil is generally chalk, alternated with
gravel and clay; the surface is for the most part undulated, in some parts level, and the scenery is varied.
The old manor-house is a quadrangular structure, with
towers at the angles. The village was formerly a markettown: a fair for cattle is still held on Easter-Monday.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£11. 10. 10., and in the patronage of Sir Charles Francis
Farnaby, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for
£495, and the glebe comprises 37 acres, with a house.
The church is an ancient structure in the later English
style; the chancel windows are beautifully ornamented
with stained glass. There is a place of worship for
Wesleyans. The learned Gilbert West, the friend of
Gray the poet, long resided in the village, where he was
visited by Lyttleton and Pitt; he was buried here in
Wickhambreux (St. Andrew)
WICKHAMBREUX (St. Andrew), a parish, in the
union of Bridge, hundred of Downhamford, lathe of
St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 5 miles (E. by N.)
from Canterbury; containing 517 inhabitants. It consists of 2645 acres, of which 335 are in wood. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£29. 12. 6., and in the gift of J. P. Plumptre, Esq.: the
tithes have been commuted for £749. 11., and the glebe
comprises 20½ acres. The Rev. John Smith, B.D., in
1756, gave a house and schoolroom for the education of
Wickhambrook (All Saints)
WICKHAMBROOK (All Saints), a parish, in the
union and hundred of Risbridge, W. division of Suffolk, 10 miles (S. E.) from Newmarket; containing
1623 inhabitants. It comprises 4348a. 2r. 28p., of which
130 acres are common or waste. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 6. 10½., and in
the patronage of the Crown; impropriator, N. W.
Bromley, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted
for £52. 15., and the vicarial for £350; the glebe comprises 6 acres. The church is a large and handsome
building with some good monuments. There is a place
of worship for Independents. Mrs. Anne Warner, in
1785, left £400 three per cent, reduced annuities, the
dividends of which, together with the rental of the poor's
estate and some other bequests, altogether amounting to
£30 per annum, are distributed among the poor. Elizabeth Chinery, by will in 1818, gave £250 three per
cents., directing the dividends to be applied in purchasing
linen. Some Roman remains have been found.
Wickhamford (St. John the Baptist)
WICKHAMFORD (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Evesham, Upper division of the
hundred of Blackenhurst, Pershore and E. divisions
of the county of Worcester, 2¼ miles (E. S. E) from
Evesham; containing 123 inhabitants. This place is
recorded in Domesday book as belonging to the abbey of
Evesham, the monks of which subsequently erected a
grange here. The parish is in the south-eastern part of
the county, on the border of Gloucestershire; and consists of 1203a. 2r. The living is a discharged perpetual
curacy, valued in the king's books at £2. 4. 4½., and in
the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church,
Oxford, the appropriators. The appropriate tithes have
been commuted for £234, and £40 are payable to the
incumbent. The church is an exceedingly neat edifice,
with a simple unpretending tower which rises prettily
above the trees that environ it: in the chancel are two
enriched altar-tombs with effigies in alabaster, in memory
of the Sandys family, whose descendant, Lord Sandys,
in 1841 repaired the entire church. Limestone is obtained in abundance in the neighbourhood.
Wickhampton (St. Andrew)
WICKHAMPTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the
union of Blofield, hundred of Walsham, E. division
of Norfolk, 4½ miles (S. S. E.) from Acle; containing
139 inhabitants. The railway from Norwich to Yarmouth passes through. The living is a discharged
rectory, valued in the king's books at £4, and in the
patronage of J. F. Leathes, Esq.: the tithes have been
commuted for £193. 4. 2. The church is an ancient
structure in the early and decorated English styles, with
a square embattled tower; in the chancel, under richlydecorated arches, are the effigies of Sir William de Gerbridge and his lady. There is a place of worship for
WICKLEWOOD, a parish, in the incorporation and
hundred of Forehoe, E. division of Norfolk, 3 miles
(W. N. W.) from Wymondham; containing 775 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1500 acres, of which about
20 acres form a lake. A market and two fairs, granted
by Henry VI., were formerly held here. The living
consists of the discharged vicarages of All Saints and
St. Andrew, valued in the king's books at £6. 3. 11½.; the
patronage and impropriation belong to Mrs. Cholmondeley, Mrs. Elizabeth Darby, and Mrs. Mary Kett: the
great tithes have been commuted for £332, and the small
for £127; the vicar has a glebe of 30 acres. All Saints'
church is in the later English style, with a square embattled tower: that of St. Andrew stood in the same
churchyard. There is a place of worship for Independents. At the inclosure, 14 acres of land were allotted
to the poor for fuel. The workhouse for the hundred is
in the parish.
WICKMERE, a parish, in the union of Aylsham,
hundred of South Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk,
5 miles (N. N. W.) from Aylsham; containing 307 inhabitants. It comprises about 1000 acres, of which 763
are arable, 191 meadow and pasture, and the remainder
roads and waste. The living is a discharged rectory,
annexed to that of Wolterton, and valued in the king's
books at £9; the glebe comprises 37 acres. The church
is in the decorated English style, with a circular tower.
WICKTON, a township, in the parish of StokePrior, union of Leominster, hundred of Wolphy,
county of Hereford, 4½ miles (S. E.) from Leominster;
containing 72 inhabitants.
Wickwar (Holy Trinity)
WICKWAR (Holy Trinity), a market-town and
parish, in the union of Chipping-Sodbury, Upper division of the hundred of Grumbald's-Ash, W. division
of the county of Gloucester, 24 miles (S. S. W.) from
Gloucester, and 111 (W.) from London; containing 1125
inhabitants. This town, which consists principally of
one spacious and well-built street, is pleasantly situated
on the nearest and best road from Bath to Gloucester
and the north of England, and is watered by two small
streams. The surrounding scenery is highly picturesque,
and the air proverbially pure and salubrious. Great
improvements have taken place: a new road has been
formed to Wotton-under-Edge, by which the distance
has been shortened two miles; and the railway from
Bristol to Birmingham has a station here. The works
of this railway, in the vicinity, comprise a tunnel threequarters of a mile in length. The clothing-trade was
formerly carried on to a considerable extent. The
market is on Monday; and fairs take place on April 6th
and July 2nd, for horses and horned-cattle. Under a
charter granted by Charles I., the town is governed by
a mayor and an indefinite number of aldermen, consisting
of all who have served the office of mayor: a manorial
court leet is held triennially, in October. The parish
comprises by measurement 2307 acres, of which about
one-third is arable, and the remainder meadow and pasture; the soil is a stone brash, alternated with clay. An
act for inclosing certain waste lands was passed in 1838.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£18, and in the gift of Lord Ducie: the tithes have been
commuted for £430, and the glebe comprises 14½ acres.
The church is in the later English style, with a lofty
square embattled tower, and contains 436 sittings.
There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans; also a free school founded in 1683, by Alexander
Hosea, a native of the town, who endowed it with property now producing £126 per annum.
WICKWICK, a hamlet, in the parish of FramptonCotterell, poor-law union of Chipping-Sodbury,
Upper division of the hundred of Langley and Swinehead, W. division of the county of Gloucester 3 containing 33 inhabitants.