Woodchester (St. Mary)
WOODCHESTER (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Stroud, hundred of Longtree, E. division of the
county of Gloucester, 2½ miles (S. W.) from Stroud;
containing 908 inhabitants. This place is supposed to
derive its name from its occupying the site of a Roman
station, which appears to have been the residence of the
propraetor, or perhaps of the Emperor Adrian. Among
the antiquities that have been found are, foundations and
ruins of buildings, fragments of statues, stags' horns,
glass, pottery, coins of the Lower Empire, a coin of
Adrian, one of Lucilla, and a noble tessellated pavement,
of which an engraving was exhibited to the Society of
Antiquaries by Samuel Lysons, Esq., F.S.A., who published an elaborate account of these relics in 1797.
The village is on an eminence forming part of a range of
hills which inclose a beautiful and fertile vale. Spring
Park, in the parish, is a splendid residence finely situated,
and combining a variety of picturesque scenery; and
the Priory, an old mansion near the church, also forms
a pleasing object in the landscape. The manufacture of
woollen-cloths is carried on extensively; in the neighbourhood of the village not less than eight mills are in
constant operation. The living is a rectory, valued in
the king's books at £10, and in the gift of Lord Ducie:
the tithes have been commuted for £265; there is a
parsonage-house, and the glebe comprises 30 acres.
The church contains a fine monument to the memory of
Sir George Huntley. Here is a place of worship for
Baptists. Robert Bridges, in 1722, bequeathed £500,
of which the produce, £50 per annum, is appropriated
to the clothing and apprenticing of boys.
Woodchurch (Holy Cross)
WOODCHURCH (Holy Cross), a parish, in the
union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Wirrall,
S. division of Cheshire; containing, in 1841, with
the townships of Arrowe, Barnston, Landican, Noctorum,
Oxton, Pensby, Prenton, Thingwall, and part of Irby,
1409 inhabitants, of whom 114 were in Woodchurch
township, 4½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Birkenhead.
This parish comprises 5526 acres, and, like many others
in the hundred of Wirrall, probably abounded with oaktrees, though at present there is but little of that species
of timber in the neighbourhood. The name appears to
be descriptive of the situation of the church either in,
or contiguous to, a wood. The church is a highly interesting Norman edifice, consisting of a nave, chancel, and
an aisle on the south side, with a handsome embattled
tower. The porch and aisle were rebuilt in the early
part of the reign of Henry VIII.; and in 1844 the church
was restored to its original style by the rector, the Rev.
Joshua King, M.A., at his own expense. The east and
west windows are of richly painted glass, brought from
one of the monasteries suppressed at the French revolution. At the east end of the south aisle is an ornamental window commemorative of the death of Mrs.
George King, and one of her sons who died on the passage out to Bombay. The pews and other wood-work
are of split oak, terminating in poppy-heads curiously
carved and of great antiquity; the font is almost unique,
of exquisite design, and emblematically sculptured. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £25.
9. 2.; patron, the Rector, in whose family the advowson
has been for some centuries: the tithes have been commuted for £950. 19., exclusive of the glebe and Easterofferings. William Gleave, alderman of London, in 1665
left £500 for the erection and endowment of a free school,
of which the master has an income of £57. 15. per annum;
and there are several charitable bequests, the interest of
which is distributed in bread to the poor. Two trusts
for providing cows for poor parishioners, are productive
of incalculable benefit: the number of cows at present
is 55.—See Oxton, &c.
Woodchurch (All Saints)
WOODCHURCH (All Saints), a parish, in the
union of Tenterden, hundred of Blackbourne, Lower
division of the lathe of Scray, W. division of Kent,
4 miles (E. by N.) from Tenterden; containing 1278
inhabitants. It comprises 6949 acres, of which 670 are
in wood. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of
the Archbishop of Canterbury, valued in the king's
books at £26. 13. 4.: the tithes have been commuted
for £682, and the glebe comprises 15 acres. The church
is partly in the early and partly in the later English
style, with a tower surmounted by a spire, and contains
numerous ancient monuments. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.
WOODCOMBE, a hamlet, in the parish of Minehead, union of Williton, hundred of Carhampton,
W. division of Somerset; with 96 inhabitants.
WOODCOT, a township, in the parish of Wrenbury, union and hundred of Nantwich, Southern division of the county of Chester, 4 miles (S. W. by W.)
from Nantwich: containing 56 inhabitants, and comprising 153 acres of land. The tithes have been commuted for £18. 7. 10. per annum.
WOODCOTE, a liberty, in the parish of South
Stoke, union of Wallingford, hundred of Dorchester, county of Oxford, 5½ miles (S. S. E.) from Wallingford; containing 502 inhabitants. Here is a chapel
dedicated to St. Leonard. Mrs. Susannah Newman, in
the year 1715, devised a messuage called Gastons, and
several parcels of land comprising about 22 acres, for
the support of a school; the master resides in the
house, and receives about £10 per annum.
WOODCOTE, a chapelry, in the parish of SheriffHales, union of Newport, Newport division of the
hundred of South Bradford, Northern division of
Salop, 3 miles (S. E. by S.) from Newport; containing
WOODCOTS, a tything, in the parish of Handley,
union of Wimborne and Cranborne, hundred of Sixpenny-Handley, Wimborne division of the county of
Dorset; containing 215 inhabitants.
WOODCOTT, a parish, in the poor-law union of
Kingsclere, hundred of Pastrow, Kingsclere and N.
divisions of the county of Southampton, 5 miles (N.
N. W.) from Whitchurch; containing 100 inhabitants.
The living is a donative; net income, £20; patron, the
Earl of Carnarvon.
Wood-Dalling (St. Andrew)
WOOD-DALLING (St. Andrew), a parish, in the
union of Aylsham, hundred of Eynsford, E. division
of Norfolk, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Reepham; containing 560 inhabitants. It comprises 2444a. 1r. 11p.,
of which 1571 acres are arable, 658 pasture and meadow,
and 12 woodland. The Hall, now a respectable farmhouse, was built in 1582 by a member of the Dalling
family, which during a long period held the estate. The
living is a discharged vicarage, annexed to the rectory of
Swannington, and valued in the king's books at £8. 8. 4.:
the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £436,
and the vicarial for £38. 9.; the impropriate and vicarial glebes contain respectively 112 and 56 acres. The
church comprises portions in the early, decorated, and
later English styles, with a lofty embattled tower, and
contains several memorials to members of the Bulwer
family. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have
each a place of worship.
Wood-Ditton, county of Cambridge.—See Ditton, Wood.
WOOD-DITTON, county of Cambridge.—See Ditton, Wood.—And other places having a similar distinguishing prefix will be found under the proper name.
Wood-Eaton (Holy Rood)
WOOD-EATON (Holy Rood), a parish, in the union
of Headington, hundred of Bullingdon, county of
Oxford, 4 miles (N. N. E.) from Oxford; containing
62 inhabitants. It comprises 627a. 1r. 12p., of which
315 acres are pasture, 275 arable, and 34 wood. Here
are some good stone-quarries. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £10. 0. 10., and in the gift
of J. Weyland, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for
£149; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe comprises 10 acres. John Collins, a distinguished mathematician, was born here in 1624.
WOODEN, a township, in the parish of Lesbury,
poor-law union of Alnwick, E. division of Coquetdale
ward, N. division of Northumberland, 4½ miles (S. E.
by E.) from Alnwick; containing 28 inhabitants. The
village is a short distance from the coast of Alnmouth
bay, and about a mile south of Lesbury.
WOODEND, a hamlet, in the parish of Blakesley,
union of Towcester, hundred of Green's-Norton,
Southern division of the county of Northampton, 5½
miles (W. by N.) from Towcester; containing 272 inhabitants, and comprising 1659 acres.
WOODFORD, a township, in the parish of Prestbury, union and hundred of Macclesfield, N. division
of the county of Chester, 6 miles (S. by W.) from
Stockport; containing 564 inhabitants. It comprises
1210 acres, the soil of which is clay, with peat.
Woodford (St. Mary)
WOODFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
West Ham, hundred of Beacontree, S. division of
Essex, 8 miles (N. E. by N.) from London; containing
2777 inhabitants. This parish, so called from an ancient
ford, where is now Woodford Bridge, is about three
miles in length and two in breadth, comprising 1752
acres of fertile land, principally in meadow and pasture;
396 acres are common or waste. Woodford-Bridge is a
beautiful village, situated on the confines of Epping
Forest, on the road from London to Newmarket; the
houses are in general detached, and irregularly arranged
on the undulated declivities of a rising ground, skirted
at the bottom by the river Roden, finely interspersed
with trees, and disclosing at intervals mansions of a
superior character, which are mostly occupied by wealthy
merchants. In different parts of the parish are extensive views into Kent. A nearer communication with the
metropolis has been opened by the construction of a
road from the highest part of the village, near the Castle
inn, through the forest into the Lea Bridge road.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£11. 12. 1., and in the gift of the Earl of Mornington:
the tithes have commuted for £670, and the glebe comprises 15 acres. The church, erected on the site of a
former edifice, in 1817, at an expense of nearly £9000,
defrayed partly by subscription and partly by a rate, is
situated in the lowest part of the village, on the west
side of the London road. It is an elegant edifice in the
ancient English style, with a square embattled tower.
The aisles are separated from the nave by pointed arches
carried up to the roof, which is of open wood-work, and
surmounted in the centre by an octangular lanterntower; the east window is of stained glass, and divided
into three compartments, containing figures of Our
Saviour, the Four Evangelists, St. Peter, and St. Paul:
there are some good monuments. In the churchyard
is a splendid Corinthian column of marble, about forty
feet in height, erected to the memory of the Godfrey
family, which flourished many years in Kent; also a
tomb with a column entirely covered with ivy, of picturesque appearance; and a remarkably fine old yew-tree.
An episcopal chapel has been built; and there are
places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans.
At Woodford Wells is a mineral spring.
Woodford (All Saints)
WOODFORD (All Saints), a parish, in the union
of Daventry, hundred of Chipping-Warden, S. division of the county of Northampton, 7½ miles (S. S. W.)
from Daventry; containing, with the hamlets of West
Farndon and Hinton, 846 inhabitants. This parish is
sometimes called Woodford-Halse, from the manor of
Halse, of which it is a member, and Woodford cum
membris, from the two attached hamlets. It comprises
2654a. 3r. 33p., whereof about 1050 acres are in Woodford
proper, which was inclosed in 1758; 580 acres in Farndon, inclosed in 1759; and about 880 in Hinton. About
half the land is in tillage, and scarcely any wood now
remains. The soil and subsoil vary considerably: on
the hills are found limestone and red-sandstone; in the
valley, clay, and a coarse stone belonging to the inferior
oolite; and the knoll on which the village stands, is
composed of gravel. Among the principal proprietors
are, Sir Henry E. L. Dryden, Bart., Sir Charles Knightley, Bart., George Hitchcock, Esq., and Miss Carter.
The living is a discharged vicarage, in the gift of the
Crown, valued in the king's books at £6. 10., and returned under the 5th of Anne at £40. The commissioners of the inclosure allotted 228a. 2r. 10p. to Sir
John Dryden, in lieu of his moiety of the impropriate
tithes, the glebe, and open-field land, and his descendant pays half the expense of keeping the chancel in
repair; the land allotted in lieu of the other moiety is in
the possession of Mr. Hitchcock. There are 137 acres of
vicarial glebe, a corn-rent of £50 clear, and a parsonage-house. The church is ancient. The Moravians
have a place of worship, with a house for the minister
attached. Various small sums arising from bequests are
appropriated to the poor. Fossils are found in the limestone and clay, in the parish.
Woodford (St. Mary)
WOODFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Thrapston, hundred of Huxloe, N. division of the
county of Northampton, 2 miles (S. W. by W.) from
Thrapston; containing 680 inhabitants. It comprises
2148a. 1r. 2p., of which three-fifths are arable, and the
rest pasture. The village occupies rising ground on
the northern bank of the river Nene; about half the
population is employed in making shoes. The Peterborough railway, and the road from Thrapston to Wellingborough and Northampton, pass through the parish.
The living is a rectory in united medieties, valued jointly
in the king's books at £22. 9. 7.; net income, £497;
patron, Lord St. John. The tithes were commuted for
land in 1760; the glebe altogether contains 360 acres,
and there are two glebe-houses, one of which, built in
1818, is occupied by the rector. The church is supposed
to have been erected about the 13th or 14th century; it
has a spire. In the neighbourhood are three tumuli,
near which have been found Roman tiles, fragments of
tessellated pavement, an urn, and two small coins of the
Woodford (All Saints)
WOODFORD (All Saints), a parish, in the union
of Amesbury, hundred of Underditch, Salisbury and
Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, 4¼ miles (N. N. W.)
from Salisbury; containing 489 inhabitants. The parish
is bounded on the east by the river Avon, and comprises
by computation about 3000 acres, the soil of which is a
light loam. Here was a palace of the bishops of Salisbury, but no traces of it are now visible. Charles II.,
after the battle of Worcester, was concealed in Heale
House, in the parish, at that time the residence of the
Hyde family. The living is a vicarage, consolidated with
the living of Wilsford, and valued in the king's books at
£13. 10.: the impropriate tithes have been commuted
for £640, and the vicarial for £180. The church was
taken down, with the exception of the tower, and a new
edifice built, which was consecrated in Oct. 1845: it is
a cruciform structure, in the early English style.
WOODFORD-GRANGE, an extra-parochial liberty,
in the S. division of the hundred of Seisdon and of the
county of Stafford; containing 14 inhabitants, and
comprising 345 acres of land.
WOODGARSTON, a tything, in the parish of
Monk's-Sherborne, union of Basingstoke, hundred
of Chuteley, Basingstoke and Northern divisions of
the county of Southampton, 4¼ miles (N. W. by W.)
from Basingstoke; containing 111 inhabitants.
WOODGREEN, an extra-parochial liberty, in the
union of Ringwood, N. division of the hundred of NewForest, Ringwood and S. divisions of the county of
Southampton, 3 miles (N. E. by E.) from Fordingbridge; containing 400 inhabitants.