Woodhall (St. Margaret)
WOODHALL (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union
of Horncastle, S. division of the wapentake of Gartree, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3 miles
(W. S. W.) from Horncastle; containing, in 1841, 307
inhabitants. This parish, along the western extremity
of which the river Witham takes its course, comprises
1880 acres. Here is a mineral spring, with baths, an
hotel, and other accommodations for visiters. The water
resembles that of Cheltenham, but has a larger portion
of iodine than any other spring in England. It contains,
in an imperial gallon, of chloride of magnesium, gr.
11. 3; chloride of calcium, 26. 7; of sodium, 1517;
sulphate of soda, 2. 1; bicarbonate of soda, 6; iodine,
0. 55; bromine, 8. 35; and of potash, a trace: its specific gravity is 1016. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13; net income, £70;
patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Lincoln. The
tithes were commuted for land in 1767. The church is
a modern structure, with an old tower surmounted by a
spire. A church was consecrated at Woodhall Spa, in
September, 1847. The Presbyterians have a place of
worship in the parish.
Woodhall, York.—See Brackenholme.
WOODHALL, York.—See Brackenholme.
WOODHALL, a hamlet, in the parish of Harthill,
union of Worksop, S. division of the wapentake of
Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 9½
miles (S. S. E.) from Rotherham; containing 183 inhabitants. It lies a mile west of Harthill; and at a short
distance from it is the farmstead of Pennyholme, which
stands in the three parishes of Harthill, Treeton, and
Wales, though the boundaries are undefined.
WOODHAM, a hamlet, in the parish of Waddesdon,
union of Aylesbury, hundred of Ashendon, county of
Buckingham, 8½ miles (W. N. W.) from Aylesbury;
containing 39 inhabitants.
WOODHAM, a township, in the parish of Aycliffe,
union of Sedgefield, S. E. division of Darlington
ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 7 miles
(E. S. E.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing 207 inhabitants. This place was honoured by a visit from James
VI. of Scotland, on his route to take possession of the
crown of England; he halted here for a short time, and
was present at the celebration of a horse-race. The
township comprises 3705 acres, chiefly arable land, and
the soil generally of very poor quality. The Clarence
railway passes through. The vicarial tithes have been
commuted for £86. 11. 8.; and the appropriate for £27.
11. 8., payable to the Chapter of Durham.
Woodham-Ferris (St. Mary)
WOODHAM-FERRIS (St. Mary), a parish, in the
union and hundred of Chelmsford, S. division of
Essex, 4½ miles (S. S. E.) from Danbury; containing,
with part of the hamlet of Bicknacre, 895 inhabitants.
This parish, which is bounded on the south by the river
Crouch, derived its name from its situation in a thicklywooded district, and the adjunct to its name from the
noble family of Ferrers, to whom the lands chiefly belonged at the time of the Norman survey. It comprises
3725 acres, of which 40 are common or waste. About
a mile from the church is Edwin Hall, a handsome mansion erected by Edwin Sandys, Archbishop of York.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£28. 13. 4., and in the gift of Sir B. W. Bridges, Bart.:
the tithes have been commuted for £950: the glebe consists of 3½ acres. The church is an ancient edifice, with
a brick tower, and contains an elegant monument to the
memory of Cecilia, wife of the archbishop. At Bicknacre was a hermitage, which was superseded by a priory
of Black canons founded and endowed by Maurice FitzJeffrey, in consideration of certain sums of money due
from him to Henry II.; it was dedicated to St. John the
Baptist, and being almost deserted in the time of Henry
VII., was then annexed to St. Mary's Spital, London.
Woodham-Mortimer (St. Margaret)
WOODHAM-MORTIMER (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Maldon, hundred of Dengie, S.
division of Essex, 2½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Maldon;
containing 308 inhabitants. This parish, called in some
documents Little Woodham, derives its present adjunct
from the family of Mortimer, to whom it anciently belonged. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £6. 13. 4., and in the patronage of G. Round,
Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £340, and the
glebe comprises 45 acres. The church has a richlycarved altar-piece. In the marshes near the Crouch river
are several barrows.
Woodham-Walter (St. Michael)
WOODHAM-WALTER (St. Michael), a parish, in
the union of Maldon, hundred of Dengie, S. division
of Essex, 2½ miles (E. N. E.) from Danbury; containing
537 inhabitants. It is separated from the hundred of
Witham by the river Chelmer, and is amply supplied
with water from springs; the lands are well cultivated,
and the scenery beautifully diversified. An ancient
mansion here, called the Fort, is said to have been for
some time the residence of the Princess (afterwards
Queen) Elizabeth, during the reign of Mary. The village, called Brook-street from a stream which flows
through the parish, contains a few good houses. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12.
13. 1½.; net income, £437; patron, the Rev. L. Way.
The church is a neat edifice in good repair, with some
remains of ancient stained glass in the chancel.
Woodhay, East (St. Martin)
WOODHAY, EAST (St. Martin), a parish, in the
union of Kingsclere, hundred of Evingar, Kingsclere
and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 5 miles
(S. W. by W.) from Newbury; containing 1408 inhabitants. This parish is situated at the north-western extremity of the county, immediately under a range of hills,
and comprises 4966a. 29p.: the surface is ornamented
with numerous clumps of trees, and the soil is rich,
resting in some places on clay, and in others on chalk.
In addition to a small village adjacent to the church,
the parish contains the two large villages of East End
and North-End. It is traversed by the road from Newbury to Andover. The living is a rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Ashmansworth annexed, valued in the
king's books at £21. 6. 0½., and in the gift of the Bishop
of Winchester: the tithes have been commuted for
£1021. 14.; there is a glebe-house, and the glebe comprises 43¾ acres. The church, rebuilt at the expense of
the parishioners, in 1823, contains a handsome monument to the Goddard family, who were long settled here.
Bishops Hooper, Ken, and Louth, were formerly rectors.
The Independents and Primitive Methodists have each a
place of worship. In the parish was anciently a palace
belonging to the bishops of Winchester.
Woodhay, West (St. Lawrence)
WOODHAY, WEST (St. Lawrence), a parish, and
formerly a market-town, in the union of Hungerford,
hundred of Kintbury-Eagle, county of Berks, 6 miles
(S. E.) from Hungerford; containing 131 inhabitants.
The parish comprises 1407 acres, of which 788 are
arable, 384 meadow, pasture, and down, 169 wood, and
65 furze, waste, &c. Here is a mansion, built in 1636
by Inigo Jones, from the drawing-room of which is a
view of Windsor Castle, 36 miles distant. The living is
a rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 4. 3.; net
income, £230; patron, the Rev. John Sloper. The
church, which is in the Norman style, and remarkable
for its beautiful brick-work, was rebuilt at the expense
of William Sloper, Esq., great grandfather to the present
patron, to whom the parish belongs.
WOODHEAD, a chapelry, and a division of the
township of Tintwistle, in the parish of Mottram-inLongdendale, union of Ashton-under-Lyne, hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of
Chester, 6 miles (E. N. E.) from the village or town of
Mottram. This district lies on the border of Derbyshire,
the river Etherow here separating the counties of Derby
and Chester. It has a station of the Manchester and
Sheffield railway; and not far distant is the commencement of the great tunnel which passes from Cheshire
into Yorkshire: this tunnel was about six years in its
formation, was opened in Dec. 1845, and is nearly three
miles in length. The chapel was founded by Sir Edmund Shaa, lord mayor of London at the time of Richard III.'s usurpation. The living is a perpetual curacy,
in the patronage of John Tollemache, Esq., M. P. for
South Cheshire, who is owner of the entire division: the
incumbent has an endowment of £100 per annum, with
a house purchased in 1844 for £400, partly granted from
Queen Anne's Bounty, and partly raised by subscription.
There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists.
Woodhorn (St. Mary)
WOODHORN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union,
and E. division of the ward, of Morpeth, N. division
of Northumberland, 8 miles (E. N. E.) from Morpeth;
containing, with the chapelry of Newbiggin, and the
townships of Cresswell, Ellington, Hurst, Linmouth,
North Seaton, and Woodhorn-Demesne, 1618 inhabitants, of whom 168 are in the township of Woodhorn.
This place formed part of the barony of Hugh de Balliol,
and subsequently belonged to the families of Valence,
Denton, Widdrington, and others. The parish is nearly
five miles in length from north to south, and about two
miles and a half in breadth, and is bounded on the east
partly by the sea; the soil is generally fertile, and the
grounds about Woodhorn and Woodhorn-Demesne are
esteemed the finest grazing land in the county. In the
township are 1294 acres. The village, situated on a
fertile plain within a mile of the sea, consists of some
well-built houses and numerous cottages; the road to
Morpeth branches off from it in one direction by Bothal
and Pegsworth, and in another by Longhirst, forming
two lines of streets, of which the latter is much the
longer. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £21. 15. 7½.; net income, £650; patron, the
Bishop of Durham. The rectory was granted to the
priory of Tynemouth, and is now the property of the
Mercers' Company, London, and the incumbent of
Hampstead. The church is a very ancient structure in
the Norman style, consisting of a nave, aisles, and chancel, and a tower, on the outside wall of which are the
armorial-bearings of the Widdringtons and Ogles, with
a male figure in the attitude of prayer. There is a chapel
of ease at Newbiggin, and at Cresswell is a separate incumbency. Viscountess Bulkeley in 1826 bequeathed
£500, afterwards invested in the purchase of £642 three
per cent, consols., of which the dividends are distributed
among the poor at Christmas.
WOODHORN-DEMESNE, a hamlet, in the parish
ot Woodhorn, union, and E. division of the ward of
Morpeth, N. division of Northumberland 8 miles
(E. N. E.) from Morpeth; containing 15 inhabitants.
It was part of the estates of Lord Widdrington, and was
subsequently purchased by a London company, on whose
failure to complete the contract, it was sold under a
decree of chancery, in 1750, to the Cresswell family.
The hamlet comprises 303 acres, of meadow and pasture
land of luxuriant fertility; its mansion-house is finely
situated in grounds tastefully laid out, and commands
an extensive sea view. The vicarial tithes have been
commuted for £5. 11. 8., and the impropriate for 5s.
WOODHOUSE, a chapelry, in the parish and union
of Barrow-upon-Soar, hundred of West Goscote,
N. division of the county of Leicester, 3 miles (S. W.)
from Loughborough; containing, with Alderman-Haw,
1309 inhabitants. A rent-charge of £65 has been
awarded as a commutation for the tithes. The chapel is
dedicated to St. Mary. The living is a perpetual curacy;
net income, £120; patron, the Vicar of Barrow. A
district church has been erected at Woodhouse-Eaves, in
Charnwood Forest; it was consecrated on the 5th of
Sept. 1837, and contains 400 free sittings, the Incorporated Society having granted £350 in aid of the expense. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income,
£106; patrons, the Lords of certain manors. There is
a place of worship for Wesleyans. Thomas Rawlins in
1691 granted several pieces of land, for the support of a
school, for distribution among the poor of this chapelry
and that of Quorndon, and for apprenticing children of
both places; the estate, at the inclosure of Charnwood
Forest, in 1829, was enlarged to 72 acres, and now produces about £230 per annum. There is also a bequest
of £13 per annum for apprenticing a boy in London,
and another of £5. 10. for the poor.
WOODHOUSE, a township, in the parish of Shilbottle, union of Alnwick, E. division of Coquetdale
ward, N. division of Northumberland, 5¼ miles (S. E.
by S.) from Alnwick; containing 23 inhabitants. The
tithes have been commuted for £75. 7. 3., of which
£75. 4. are payable to the vicar of the parish.
WOODHOUSE, a hamlet, in the parish, union, and
hundred of Andover, Andover and N. divisions of the
countv of Southampton; containing 73 inhabitants.
Woodhouse, Stafford.—See Burntwood.
WOODHOUSE, Stafford.—See Burntwood.
WOODHOUSE, a hamlet, in the parish of Suttonupon-Derwent, union of Pocklington, Wilton-Beacon
division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of
York, 1½ mile (E.) from Sutton; containing 46 inhabitants. It comprises 1069 acres of fertile land, and is
the property of the crown.
WOODHOUSE-HALL, an extra-parochial liberty,
in the union of Worksop, Hatfield division of the
wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of
Nottingham, 6½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Worksop;
containing 12 inhabitants, and comprising 321 acres.
WOODHOUSES, a township, in the parish of Mayfield, S. division of the hundred of Totmonslow, N.
division of the county of Stafford, 4 miles (N. W. by
W.) from Ashbourn; containing 25 inhabitants.
Woodhurst (All Saints)
WOODHURST (All Saints), a parish, in the poorlaw union of St. Ives, hundred of Hurstingstone,
county of Huntingdon, 4 miles (N.) from St. Ives;
containing 449 inhabitants. The living is united, with
that of Old Hurst, to the vicarage of St. Ives: the
tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1796.
A fund of £10. 5. per annum, the rent of five acres of
land, is distributed among the poor.
Woodkirk, York.—See Ardsley, West.
WOODKIRK, York.—See Ardsley, West.
WOODLAND, a tything, in the parish, union, and
hundred of Crediton, Crediton and Northern divisions of Devon; containing 301 inhabitants.
WOODLAND, a chapelry, in the parish of Ipplepen, union of Newton-Abbott, hundred of Haytor,
Teignbridge and S. divisions of Devon, 1 mile (E. by S.)
from Ashburton; containing 206 inhabitants. It comprises 1600 acres, of which 50 are pasture, 100 woodland, and the remainder arable and water-meadow; the
soil is very light. The living is a perpetual curacy, in
the patronage of the Parishioners, with a net income of
£56; appropriators, the Dean and Canous of Windsor,
whose tithes have been commuted for £200. The
church, in the later English style, was built in the reign
of Henry VIII., and contains 250 sittings.
WOODLAND, a township, in the parish of Cockfield, union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham,
6 miles (N. W.) from Staindrop; containing 243 inhabitants. It comprises 2658a. 1r. 27p., of which the
soil is generally poor. Coal is obtained in the neighbourhood, and a basaltic dyke runs through the township, affording a material admirably adapted to the
repair of roads. The tithes have been commuted for
£83. 14. per annum. There is a place of worship for
WOODLAND, a chapelry, in the parish of KirkbyIreleth, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale
north of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 8¼ miles
(N. N. W.) from Ulverston; containing, with Heathwaite, 331 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy;
net income, £68; patrons, the Landowners. The chapel
was built in 1689, and repaired in 1822.
WOODLAND, a hamlet, in the parish of IsleAbbot's, union of Langport, hundred of Abdick and
Bulstone, Western division of Somerset; containing
WOODLAND-EYAM, a township, in the parish of
Eyam, union of Bakewell, hundred of High Peak, N.
division of the county of Derby; containing 226 inhabitants. The tithes have been commuted for £70.
WOODLAND-HOPE, a hamlet, in the parish of
Hope, union of Chapel-en-le-Frith, hundred of
High Peak, Northern division of the county of Derby;
containing 252 inhabitants.
WOODLANDS, a tything, in the parish of Horton,
union of Wimborne and Cranborne, hundred of
Knowlton, Wimborne division of Dorset, 4¼ miles
(S. S. W.) from Cranborne; containing 454 inhabitants.
The unfortunate Duke of Monmouth, after his flight
from the battle of Sedgemoor, in Somerset, is stated to
have been found here by his enemies, in a ditch under
an ash-tree, which is inscribed with the various names
of those who have since visited the spot. This is a wellwooded district, with a clayey soil. A fair is held on
July 5th. There is an old episcopal chapel in ruins;
also a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.
WOODLANDS, a hamlet, in the parish of West
Meon, union of Droxford, hundred of Fawley, Droxford and Northern divisions of the county of Southampton; containing 85 inhabitants.
WOODLANDS, a tything, in the parish, union, and
hundred of Mere, Hindon and Southern divisions of
Wilts; containing 816 inhabitants.
Woodleigh (St. Mary)
WOODLEIGH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Kingsbridge, hundred of Staneorough, Stanborough and Coleridge, and S. divisions of Devon, 3 miles
(N.) from Kingsbridge; containing 269 inhabitants. It
comprises 1975 acres, of which 240 are common or
waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £22. 8. 4.; net income, £392; patrons, Exeter
College, Oxford. The church contains an altar-tomb
representing the Resurrection of Our Saviour.
WOODLESFORD, with Oulton, a township, in the
parish of Rothwell, union of Wakefield, Lower
division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of
York, 4½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Leeds; containing
1789 inhabitants. The village is pleasantly situated on
the south bank of the river Aire, and near the Midland
railway, which has a station here. A great part of the
labouring population is employed in the extensive and
valuable stone-quarries of the township; there are
manufactories of paper and earthenware, and about 40
hands are employed at a brewery established in 1840.
The dissenters have a place of worship.—See Oulton.
Woodley, with Sandford
WOODLEY, with Sandford, a township, in the
parish and hundred of Sonning, union of Wokingham,
county of Berks, 3½ miles (E. by N.) from Reading;
containing 823 inhabitants. The impropriate tithes
have been commuted for £767. There is a Roman
Catholic chapel; and a school is supported.