Zeal-Monachorum (St. Peter)
ZEAL-MONACHORUM (St. Peter), a parish, in
the union of Crediton, hundred of North Tawton,
South Molton and N. divisions of Devon, 8 miles
(W. by N.) from Crediton; containing 649 inhabitants.
This parish is situated on the river Yeo, and comprises
2946 acres, of which 589 are common or waste. The
soil in the southern part is a red fertile loam, and in the
northern productive corn land; the surface is hilly, and
sandstone of good quality is quarried for building, and
for repairing roads. The living is a rectory, valued in
the king's books at £17. 8. 9., and in the gift of Mr.
Tombs: the tithes have been commuted for £419, and
the glebe comprises 46 acres. The poor have some
ZEAL, SOUTH, a chapelry, in the parish of South
Tawton, union of Oakhampton, hundred of Wonford,
Crockernwell and S. divisions of Devon, 4½ miles
(E. S. E.) from Oakhampton. This is a decayed borough
and market-town: the market has been long disused,
but there is a fair for cattle on the Tuesday following the
martyrdom of Thomas à Becket. The chapel, dedicated
to St. Mary, is now a school-house.
ZEALS, a tything, in the parish, union, and hundred
of Mere, Hindon and S. divisions of Wilts, 2 miles
(W. by S.) from Mere; containing 588 inhabitants.
This place lies on the borders of the county of Somerset,
and on the road from Bradford to Wincanton. At
Zeals-Green is a church dedicated to St. Martin, built
on a site given by the Duke of Somerset, and consecrated in October 1846. The living is a perpetual curacy; patron, the Vicar of Mere.
Zennor (St. Sennar)
ZENNOR (St. Sennar), a parish, in the union of
Penzance, W. division of the hundred of Penwith
and of the county of Cornwall, 5 miles (W. S. W.)
from St. Ives; containing 1025 inhabitants. This place
is situated near the western extremity of the Bristol
Channel, by which it is bounded on the north; the line
of coast is in some parts alternated with small bays
and with projecting headlands, one of which is named
Gurnard's Head. The parish comprises 3184 acres, of
which 2106 are common or waste. It has quarries of
granite used for building, and some tin-mines, but the
substratum of the greater part is a species of moorstone.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £5. 5. 0½.; patron, the Bishop of Exeter; impropriator, George John, Esq. The vicarial tithes have
been commuted for £200, and the glebe contains 13
acres, with a house, built by the incumbent, the Rev.
Henry Stoneman. The church is an ancient structure.
There are places of worship for Bryanites and Wesleyans. At Kerrow was formerly a chapel, of which portions still remain.