||745 acres; Census Rep. 1901. There
are also 7 acres of tidal water and 3 of
||Subs. R. 250, no. 9.
Lancs. and Ches. Antiq. Soc. xvii, 8.
Evesham Chron. (Rolls Ser.), 75;
'this we hold of the king.' Later it is
said that Penwortham and Howick were
granted to the abbey in the time of Abbot
Walter, 1077–86; ibid. 97.
Ranulf Earl of Chester, in confirming
the possessions of Evesham, expressly
allowed the abbot to have his court in
Howick as the earl had his in Penwortham; Kuerden fol. MS. (Chet. Lib.),
Penwortham Priory (Chet. Soc.), 8.
Maurice was abbot from 1096 to 1122.
||Howick and Farington were given
out to farm by Adam, abbot from 1160 to
1191; Evesham Chron. (Rolls Ser.), 101.
The Abbot of Evesham in 1366 and
again in 1378 claimed a fishery in the
Ribble at Howick; De Banco R. 425,
m. 542 d.; Dep. Keeper's Rep. xxxii, App.
In 1382 it was alleged that the abbot
had acquired 15 acres in Howick without
the royal licence; Q.R. Memo. R. 159.
||See, e.g., Exch. Lay Subs. 1332
(Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 43—
Howick with Farington. The latter
place soon became the principal; thus in
1346 Howick was called a hamlet, and in
1373 described as 'in the vill of Farington'; Towneley MS. DD, no. 273, 339,
347. In 1420 it was called a 'vill';
ibid. no. 344.
||See the account of Farington.
Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), i, 16. The grant comprised 2
oxgangs of land held by Amabel daughter
of John, 1 oxgang held by Orm de Howick,
and 1 by Roger de Howick.
Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), i, 36. The oxgangs retained by
Sabina were one tenanted by Albin son of
Sired and another by Richard son of Warine,
with the messuage of Roger Briton; the
10 acres lay between the marsh of Howick
and Smeleden, and Roger son of Gamel
held nine of the acres by a rent of 18d.
Roger was present and acknowledged that
he owed such service. He was of the
Nutshaw family, as will be seen.
||Ibid. i, 120.
||He gave a piece of land in Hutton;
Cockersand Chartul. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 442.
||In 1279 Simon de Howick claimed
an oxgang of land held by Adam de
Howick and 2 oxgangs held by Adam
son of Roger de Howick; De Banco R.
31, m. 32 d. In 1284 he claimed 10
acres against Alice widow of Adam de
Howick; Assize R. 1268, m. 12.
As Simon son of Adam son of Mary
he gave half an acre in Howick to William
son of Robert at 6d. rent, Henry de
Howick and Adam his son being among
the witnesses; Towneley MS. DD, no.
||Assize R. 408, m. 20 d. Richard
claimed by inheritance, but was nonsuited. He acquired half an acre in the
Bottoms; Towneley MS. DD, no. 286.
Final Conc. ii, 25. By this Simon son
of Richard de Howick granted the moiety
of the manor to William son of Richard
and Beatrice his wife, with successive
remainders to their sons Richard, John
and William. The Abbot of Evesham
put in his claim.
Richard son of Henry de Howick in
1338 granted half an acre to Richard son
of William de Howick; DD, no. 297.
||Ibid. no. 285. In the following
year the father, William son of Richard
de Howick, gave his son John land which
the said Richard had had of the feoffment
of Robert son of Hugh de Howick; ibid.
There were various families surnamed
Howick. Warine de Howick granted to
Richard Marshal and Alice his wife lands
in Horpultre and the Townfield; in
1312–13 he gave to John son of Richard
de Howick 2 acres, comprising 4 ridges
in Harapebore (? Harapeltre), 4 in Cardales and 6 more in the same. These
lands seem to have passed from Marshal
of Preston to John Breton of Preston,
living in 1420. See the deeds in Kuerden
MSS. ii, fol. 224; other deeds (Bradley
family) are at fol. 226. Richard son of
Henry de Howick in 1350 gave his
daughter Ellen a house and land upon
Hacapultree, between land of William de
Howick and William de Budworth. A
rent of 7d. was due to the Prior of Penwortham; Kuerden fol. MS. p. 188.
In 1383 to 1406 Henry de Howick of
Farington and Alice his wife held lands
in Farington, Howick and Longton;
Piccope MSS. (Chet. Lib.), xiv, 54,
Henry son of Ralph Howick and
Katherine his wife in 1448 entrusted to
Sir Richard Hoghton four deeds relating
to their estate; Towneley MS. DD,
no. 310. The father was the Ralph Jenkinson or Ralph son of John Johnson of
earlier deeds; no. 101, 278, 338.
||Ibid. no. 287.
||Robert de Bower (Camera) and Sabina
his wife gave land there to Robert son
of Hugh; Adam son of Mary, Roger and
Henry de Nutshaw were among the witnesses, so that the deed belongs to the
first half of the 13th century; ibid. no.
352. For the Bower family see the
account of Penwortham.
||Roger de Howick, no doubt the
father of Sabina, granted an oxgang of
land in Howick to Gamel de Nutshaw at
a rent of 2s.; Gerald de Clayton was a
witness; ibid. no. 283. The above-cited
gift of Sabina to Roger son of Gamel
follows. The same Roger also obtained
from Richard son of Warine (holding 1
oxgang of land in 1210—see above) all his
land in Howick, to be held by a rent of
20d.; ibid. no. 353.
Richard son of Warine de Farington
(perhaps the same as 'de Howick') gave
to the abbey of Evesham all his lands in
Howick in return for 20s. given him in
his dire need; his tenants included John
Blund, Henry son of Alan, Roger son of
Gamel and Robert de Bradford; Kuerden
fol. MS. (Chet. Lib.), p. 132.
Richard son of Warine gave land called
Bradford, &c., to Robert son of Henry,
who made a grant to his mother Emma;
Kuerden MSS. iii, H 12, 13. Roger son
of Gamel de Nutshaw released to the
canons of Cockersand all his right in the
fourth part of the mill of Bradford and
Wimode within the bounds of Hutton,
and Roger son of Roger did likewise;
Cockersand Chartul. ii, 441. The mill
was probably on the brook dividing
Howick from Hutton.
The next to appear is John de Nutshaw,
who attested several charters; Towneley
MS. DD, no. 1647, &c. Thomas de Nutshaw in 1320 agreed with the Prior of
Penwortham as to a road through Nutshawhead which he had obstructed by inclosure; Penwortham Priory, 20. He paid
to the subsidy in 1332; Exch. Lay Subs.
43. In the same year Robert the Cookson
and Maud his wife claimed 10 acres in
Howick against Thomas son of John
de Nutshaw; De Banco R. 290, m.
Joan daughter of Master Robert de
Liverpool, clerk, released all her claims
against John de Nutshaw in 1345;
Towneley MS. DD, no. 345. Godith
meadow in Nutshaw, in the hamlet of
Howick, was in the following year
granted to John son of Thomas de
Nutshaw and Agnes his wife and Jordan ridding in 1347; ibid. no. 339,
273. In 1373 Robert de Horsford
and Cecily his wife granted to John de
Nutshaw tenements in the vills and fields
of Hutton and Bradford; ibid. no. 275.
Cecily was perhaps the heiress of one of
the Howick families, for in the same
year she and her husband released to
William de Denwall of Longton and
Amery his wife (and the latter's heirs)
the third part of a messuage and lands in
Howick; Final Conc, ii, 185. The remainder was in 1374 claimed by the
Denwalls against John de Nutshaw,
Thomas son of Robert de Midgehalgh, and
Agnes widow of Adam de Broughton;
De Banco R. 453, m. 394 d. John seems
to have had a brother Roger, for in 1348
John de Howick claimed fulfilment of a
covenant as to a messuage and 5 acres in
Howick against Roger son of Thomas
de Nutshaw; De Banco R. 355, m.
John and Agnes had two sons—Ralph
and Thomas—as appears by a grant of
lands made to them in 1354 by Richard
son of Thomas the Carpenter; Towneley
MS. DD, no. 288. Ralph appears again in
deeds of 1396 and 1420; ibid. no. 279,
344. In 1357 Thomas son of John
de Nutshaw received a messuage in
Howick from his father's feoffee; ibid.
no. 270. Cecily widow of Robert de
Horsford released to him lands in
Hutton in 1413; ibid. no. 358. He
appears again in 1420; ibid. no. 309.
He seems to have left three children
—Thomas, James and Margaret—for
in 1434 Thomas Nutshaw made a
feoffment of lands in Howick, Hutton
and Longton, and in 1437 James son of
Thomas Nutshaw received certain lands
for life, with remainders to his brother
Thomas and his sister Margaret; ibid.
no. 342, 290.
Ralph son of Thomas Nutshaw occurs
in 1437, when lands in Longton and
Hutton were given to him; ibid. no. 1755.
He was probably son of the younger
Thomas, for Joan Cunliffe, widow of
Ralph Nutshaw, was living in 1511, and
their son John is also named; ibid.
no. 320, 333.
A grant of Nutshaw Hall in Howick
was in 1500 made to Charles Sherdley,
Margery his wife and their issue; ibid.
||It was Richard the son and heir of
Ralph Nutshaw who sold the estate;
Final Conc. iii, 159, 162. There are
many deeds relating to the transaction in
Towneley MS. DD, no. 294, 303, 305,
&c. The lands were acquired by Richard
Hesketh and others, perhaps acting for
In 1505 Richard Nutshaw sold land
called the Bottoms to William Forshaw
of Penwortham; ibid. no. 277.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. v, no. 16.
The 2s. 8d. rent may be made up of the
12d. due for the fourth part of Nutshaw
and the 20d. for Richard son of Warine's
oxgang of land. Thomas's brother
Richard Hesketh had in 1518 exchanged
land in Bedford for some in Howick
belonging to Sir William Leyland;
Towneley MS. DD, no. 324, 327.
Richard's will, 1520, names his brothers
Hugh, Bishop of Man, and Bartholomew; ibid. no. 326. In 1623, when
George Hesketh was in possession, the
tenure of the Hesketh 'manor' was
not known; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), iii, 351–7. It is
named in later Hesketh of Rufford settlements.
Sir Thomas Hesketh in 1557 granted
land in Howick to John Fleetwood of
Penwortham; Towneley MS. DD, no.
336. In 1562 in conjunction with
Henry Farington he gave a messuage
and land, with dovecote and windmill
and a fishery in the Ribble, to Henry's son
Francis (and Alice his wife) for life, with
reversion to Sir Thomas; Pal. of Lanc.
Feet of F. bdle. 24, m. 208.
Francis Farington of the Middle
Temple in 1581 asserted that as appurtenant to his capital messuage called Howick
Hall he had always enjoyed a several
'mossdale' or turbary in Hutton in a
place called Wimot moss, but 'two very
lewd and evil-disposed persons' had a
little before entered the mossdale and had
kept possession with the aid of long pikes
and staves, and were taking away the
turves; Duchy of Lanc. Plead. cxvi, F 8.
Penwortham Priory, 20, note.
||William de Budworth and Cecily his
wife held land in Howick in 1345, when
they and Thomas the son of William were
defendants to a claim for 10 acres made
by Adam de Catterall of Longton; Assize
R. 1435, m. 35. Richard Budworth of
Howick was defendant in 1442; Pal. of
Lanc. Plea R. 4, m. 3b.
There are but few references to the
place in the Ducatus Lanc.
||Thomas Farington of Little Farington (1508) held land in Howick of the
Abbot of Evesham by a rent of 7s.; Duchy
of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iv, no. 41.
The Singletons of Shingle Hall held
their lands in Hutton and Howick of the
abbey of Cockersand; ibid. viii, no. 9;
xiii, no. 16.
George Midgehalgh of Barton in 1557
held his messuage in Howick of Thomas
Hesketh; ibid. x, no. 22.
George Kirkby of Up Rawcliffe held
land in Howick in 1560 of John Fleetwood of Penwortham by a rent of 6d.;
ibid. xi, no. 8.
In the cases of Shireburne of Stonyhurst, Charnock and Banastre the tenures
are not stated.
William Walton and John his son and
heir in 1593 made a settlement of six messuages and various lands in Howick,
Hutton and Longton; Pal. of Lanc. Feet
of F. bdle. 55, m. 209. John Walton of
Howick died in 1620 holding messuages
and lands of Richard Fleetwood as of his
manor of Howick by a rent of 3s.;
William his son and heir was twentythree years of age; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec.
Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 209. For a
note concerning this family (1576) see
Lancs. and Ches. Antiq. Notes, i, 155.
||Land tax returns at Preston.