||3,383 acres, including an acre of
inland water; Census Rep. 1901. There
are also 16 acres of tidal water and 199
||Hewitson, Our Country Churches
(1872), 273. He adds: 'Within the
past eighty years females guilty of improper conduct had to go to the church,
in white garments, and do penance for
||Watkin, Rom. Lancs. 236.
||Subs. R. 250, no. 9.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), i, 32.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), i, 33–4. Roger de Lacy
gave to Robert Bussel two plough-lands and
2 oxgangs of land in Longton and Leyland
to hold by knights' service. It is supposed that 10 oxgangs lay in Longton.
The estate was held by Robert Bussel, probably the same man, in 1242; ibid. i, 150.
Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), i, 152. The manor of Longton
was to be held by a rent of 50s. and providing 'bode and witnessman.' The
grant no doubt included all the rights the
Earls of Lincoln could give. In 1311
accordingly the heirs of William de la
Mare held their tenements in Longton of
the Earl of Lincoln by the service of 50s.
a year; De Lacy Inq. (Chet. Soc.), 21.
Similar entries appear in the De Lacy
Compoti; but in 1241–2 the return from
Longton to the earl had been £6 12s. 0½d.;
Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 157.
It was, perhaps, on account of the subordinate lordships already existing that
this manor was often called a moiety of
the manor of Longton, as will be seen
from subsequent notes. The present
division into four equal parts is probably
the result of an agreement between the
claimants to lordship.
||See the account of Croston.
Henry de Lea in 1303 claimed the
performance of a covenant respecting four
messuages, 5 oxgangs of land and half a
mill in Longton, the defendant being
Maud widow of William de Lea; De
Banco R. 145, m. 178.
Robert Bussel in 1319 claimed land in
Longton against John Fleming and
William de la Lea, who held it as grandsons and heirs of Margery de la Mare;
she had received it from the plaintiff, but
he alleged that his charter was made
while he was under age; De Banco R.
230, m. 135; 251, m. 50. The connexion of this Robert with the older
Bussel family is not known.
In a settlement by William de Lea and
Isolda his wife in 1372 a fourth part of
the manor of Longton was included;
Final Conc. ii, 183. From a grant by
Abel son of William son of Abel de
Longton it appears that his messuage was
held of Sir William de Lea by a rent of
12d.; Towneley MS. DD, no. 1676.
The fourth part of the manor was by
inheritance vested in the Ashtons of
Croston; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 33
(1468), m. 7 d., 12 d.; 34, m. 18. Yet
Thomas Ashton, who died in 1496, was
stated to hold a moiety of the manor of
the king as of his duchy by the eighth
part of a knight's fee; Duchy of Lanc.
Inq. p.m. iii, no. 93; iv, no. 79. The
moiety also is claimed in later inquisitions, though the tenure is changed to
socage and a rent of 25s.; ibid. xiv, no. 17;
xxix, no. 6. In a valuation of the Ashton
estate in 1542 the moiety of the manor of
Longton was said to be worth £8 12s. a
year, and to be held of the king by the
eighth part of a knight's fee and the
service of 25s.; Raines MSS. (Chet. Lib.),
xxv, 295. In 1617 Thomas Ashton, by
producing the original charter from Henry
de Lacy Earl of Lincoln, showed that a
socage tenure was created; ibid. 305. In
1622 the estate was called the fourth part
of the manor; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), iii, 331.
In 1771 the Traffords claimed a third part
of the manor, but in 1797 only a fourth
part; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 613, m. 10;
Assize R. 11 of Aug. Assizes 37 Geo. III.
||The Fleming share was not entirely
derived from the De la Mare marriage,
whatever may have been the origin of the
fourth part of the subordinate manor held
Reyner Fleming in 1309–10 demised
to William son of Abel and Alice his
wife land on the lower side of Longton
windmill, called Crownest and Apaldsyke,
at 13s. rent; Towneley MS. DD, no.
1747. In the following year Reyner
agreed with Jordan Bussel as to the
moiety of a mossdale, the other moiety
of which was held by Roger Bussel of
William de Hesketh; ibid. no. 1663.
He also demised to Thomas son of
Robert de Hesketh and Alice his wife
land in Longton at a rent of 10s. 9d.;
ibid. no. 1666. Sir Thomas Fleming in
1408 demised to Henry son of Adam
Bretherton the whole of his demesne in
Longton for 21 years; ibid. no. 1770.
Thomas son of Henry Bretherton continued in possession of the Fleming
quarter, as tenant at will, dying in 1443;
ibid. no. 1490. Hugh, his son, was four
years old. Afterwards, in 1466, Hugh
Bretherton grandson of Henry released
his right in the fourth part of the manor
to William Fleming; ibid. no. 1757.
After the division of the Fleming
estates between Hesketh and Dalton, the
latter's moiety included an eighth part of
the manor of Longton; Pal. of Lanc.
Plea R. 90 (1500), m. 5. It seems to
have been sold soon afterwards to Thomas
Hesketh, whose successor finally acquired
the other moiety, it appears, in 1526
(Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 11, m. 165),
and the estate of the family was afterwards described absolutely as the 'manor'
of Longton. In the earlier inquisitions,
however, nothing is named except messuages and lands, the tenure being of the
Crown in socage; Duchy of Lanc. Inq.
p.m. v, no. 16; xv, no. 56. The 'manor'
appears in 1602 and became the usual
description; e.g. Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F.
bdle. 64, no. 7; 237, m. 52; Lancs.
Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.),
iii, 351–7. In a recovery in 1798 only
a fourth part of the manor was named
among the Rufford estates; Pal. of Lanc.
Assize R. 7 of Lent Assizes 38 Geo. III.
The Hesketh portion of the manor
was sold lately to Mr. Thomas R. Wilkins
of Longton, together with a farm in the
||Joan wife of Alan del Karr (see a
later note) claimed land against Peter de
Risley and Geoffrey his brother, who in
reply asserted that they held 8 oxgangs
of land in partnership with the others
named in the text. The plaintiff's land
had to be ploughed and sown in Lent;
the defendants were alleged to have reaped
the corn in August and carried it away.
A verdict for plaintiff was recorded;
Assize R. 420, m. 9.
||Warine Bussel gave to Evesham 2
oxgangs of land in Longton, to which his
son Richard added 4. Albert Bussel
confirmed these gifts and promised 2
oxgangs more at his death. Hugh Bussel
son of Albert ratified his predecessors'
acts. See Penwortham Priory (Chet. Soc.),
3–6. The 6 oxgangs were occupied by
Robert son of Geoffrey and the 2 oxgangs
by Reyner son of Steinulf.
Albert Bussel's grant of 2 oxgangs
of land included the man of Reyner son
of Steinulf thereon dwelling, also land
between Derneclough and Blackshawbrook and Swain son of Walter; Kuerden
fol. MS. (Chet. Lib.), 54.
Robert Bussel gave a small piece of
land in Longton, adjoining the Hospitallers' land, to Evesham; Penwortham
Priory, 10. The abbey received other
gifts. John the miller of Longton released
a messuage and water-mill which he had
had from Philip de Sheldesley, formerly
prior of Penwortham; Kuerden fol. MS.
250. There were several similar releases.
William son of Ralph de Nateby granted
the homage and service of his tenants for
half an oxgang of land in the Beremarsh
and other lands, and a fishery; ibid. 270.
Robert son of Sibyl de Longton gave
lands within bounds which named the
Ingesyke, &c.; ibid. 236. Walter son
of Adam de Howick a ridge on the South
furlong of Breck; Halleturner and Brekesgate are named among the bounds; ibid.
170. William son of Geoffrey Loxham
gave all his land in the Strinds; ibid.
The grants by the abbots include one
of 2 acres to Swain son of Michael, at a
rent of 18d., another to William son of
Hulle of a plot in Tyrole field; and to
Sansom, brother of Albert Bussel's wife,
the 2 oxgangs received from Albert, at
a rent of 20d.; ibid. 110. Swain son of
Michael de Longton granted land to
Geoffrey son of Thomas Bussel, who
had married Margery daughter of
Swain; it lay next to land of Warine son
of Robert Bussel; Piccope MSS, xiv, 78.
In 1474 the abbey tenants, Lewis
Longton, Thomas Sherdley and John
Strickland, agreed to pay 13s. 4d. a year
to the abbot for a certain fee farm due to
him from Longton; Towneley MS. DD,
||Longton was not named in the grant
by Henry VIII, but was in that by Elizabeth in 1564; Penwortham Priory, 127.
The 'manor' is named in the inquisitions
of John and Richard Fleetwood as part of
the Penwortham estate; Duchy of Lanc.
Inq. p.m. xv, no. 34; xxv, no. 22. It is
called the 'fourth part of the manor' in
1676; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 197,
m. 66. On the sale of the Fleetwood
estates it descended for a time like Farington, being held in 1749 by Charles Stanley
and Jane his wife, and in 1752 by John
Aspinall and Caroline his wife; ibid. bdle.
343, m. 77; 349, m. 98. Soon afterwards, probably, it was purchased by the
||A number of deeds concerning this
part of the township are preserved in
Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 101–6. There
seems no direct evidence as to which
Robert Bussel is meant. The rights of
the Robert Bussel of 1212 descended to
Holland in Euxton and to Farington in
Leyland. From a preceding note it will
have been seen that Robert Bussel was
tenant of Evesham for 6 oxgangs of land
in addition to those he held immediately
of the lord of Penwortham. He gave to
Evesham the oxgang of land which Uvieth
held in the time of Albert Bussel, and a
rent of 12d. issuing from his fishery at
Penwortham; Kuerden fol. MS. 57.
Geoffrey the son of Robert Bussel, with
his father's approval, made a number of
gifts to the abbey; from the charters may
be learnt the names of many of the undertenants; ibid. Among the field names,
&c., are Stanfurlong, Altesty, Wadenmye,
Tarumyaker, Barncross field, Reedheadfurlong, Micklesykecarr, the waingate in
Outgreenfurlong, Thordkesmoor, Tunstead, Aldearth, Turnmoor, Apaldsyke,
Thomas son of Robert Bussel, Jordan
and Roger Bussel (1311) and Adam son
of Jordan Bussel (1347) and others of the
family occur in Longton; Towneley MS.
DD, no. 1645, 1663, 1677.
Robert de Hindley (Risley) and Ellen
his wife in 1277 and 1292 unsuccessfully
claimed tenements in Longton against
William de la Mare and others; Assize
R. 1235, m. 13; 408, m. 32. Henry
son of Hugh Ploket in 1292 granted a
messuage and croft (formerly Geoffrey
Bussel's) to Robert son of Hugh de Hindley; a rent of 12d. was due to the chief
lords; Towneley MS. DD, no. 1660. The
brothers Peter and Gilbert de Risley were
in possession in 1302, when they granted
Borughams in the How in Longton to
John the Cook; Harl. MS. 2042, fol.
In the following year Peter and Gilbert
agreed with John Gillibrand and Ellen
his wife as to 3 oxgangs of land, &c., in
Longton; Final Conc. i, 200. John de
Longton, Robert son of John de Longton,
John son of Henry and Amery de la
How were summoned to acknowledge by
what services they held their tenements
of John Gillibrand and Ellen his wife,
who had sold to Peter de Risley; De
Banco R. 141, m. 139; 143, m. 89.
Ellen widow of Robert de Risley in 1311
gave her fourth part of the vill to her son
Peter, and at the same time Geoffrey
made a release to his brother; Harl. MS.
2042, fol. 101 (2). Adam de Pluket
made a grant to Peter de Risley and
Maud his wife in 1323, and other grants
were made to him in 1326 and 1328 by
William son of William de Lea and by
Gilbert de Culcheth; ibid. fol. 101b.
Thomas de Strangeways and Agnes his
wife in 1337 claimed messuages in Preston
against Peter (son of Robert) de Risley
and Maud his wife, being the right of the
said Agnes and Maud; De Banco R. 312,
m. 384 d. Peter de Risley made a grant
to Adam his son and Margery his wife in
1340; Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 102b. Maud
widow of Peter is mentioned in 1342 and
1343; she seems to have had three sons,
Adam, William and Ralph, and to have
married Lawrence son of Thomas Travers; ibid. fol. 102–3.
||Adam de Risley in 1349 made a
settlement of his lands, the remainders
being to his children, John, Nicholas,
Thomas and Alice; ibid. fol. 103. In
1353 Isabel widow of Sir John Fleming
complained that Robert son of William
son of Thomas de Longton and John de
Risley had taken away Nicholas the son
and heir of Adam de Risley, who was a
minor; Assize R. 435, m. 11, 23.
Nicholas was a plaintiff in 1369, alleging
that Ralph de Freckleton and Maud his
wife had caused waste of his houses in
Longton; De Banco R. 435, m. 371.
John and Nicholas occur as witnesses in
1365; Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 103b. The
estate descended to Alice, called 'cousin
and heir' of Peter de Risley, who married
Henry de Howick, and their daughter
Joan married Thomas Farington, ancestor
of the Little Farington family. See also
Piccope MSS. (Chet. Lib.), xiv, 56, for a
settlement made in 1406. It appears
from the deeds quoted that both the
Howicks and Faringtons acquired various
other holdings in Longton. Thus Robert
Bussel of Longton made a grant in 1315
to John son of Richard de Howick, who
had married his daughter Ellen; ibid.
fol. 101. Nicholas Freckleton in 1440
made a sale to Thomas Farington; ibid.
fol. 104b. The Howick family often
occurs in connexion with Longton.
The inquisition after the death of
Thomas Farington (1508) shows that the
estate was composite. Part was held of
Evesham by a rent of 6d., part of
Burscough by the same rent, and the
rest of Thomas Hesketh by a rent of
2s. 6d.—the lords of the manor being
Thomas Hesketh and Thomas Ashton;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iv, no. 41.
In a settlement of the estate of Peter
Farington in 1567 there is named the
fourth part of the manor of Longton;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 29, m. 116.
It is stated that he was recognized as one
of the lords of the manor in 1575; Harl.
MS. 2042, fol. 105b.
||The co-heirs were John Kuerden
and William Charnock of Leyland, each
claiming an eighth part of the manor;
Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 316, m. 17; Harl.
MS. 2042, fol. 106. No 'manor' is
asserted in the Charnock inquisitions, and
the messuages in Longton are grouped
with others said to be held of the lord of
Walton-le-Dale; Duchy of Lanc. Inq.
p.m. xvii, no. 5; xxviii, no. 18. As late
as 1687 this eighth part is named in a
fine between Grace Bold (who represented Robert Charnock), deforciant, and
William Shaw, plaintiff; Pal. of Lanc.
Feet of F. bdle. 218, m. 31.
||Richard le Boteler in 1260 claimed
2 oxgangs of land in Longton against
Thomas de Perpunt and Margery his wife;
but Margery, whose inheritance it was,
secured her right; Curia Regis R. 169,
m. 48 d. Mabel widow of Thomas
Bussel demised her dower in Breck to
Richard the son of Thomas in the same
year, and the latter gave land to Richard
le Boteler; Dods. MSS. liii, fol. 86, 92–3.
In or before 1276 John and William
de Hoole, brothers, held 3 oxgangs of land
in Longton; Michael the son of John, a
minor, entered on 2 oxgangs after his
father's death, the third being held by
Amery daughter of Adam de Howick;
Assize R. 405, m. 4. This was the
whole or part of the Boteler estate, as was
found when Michael was outlawed for
felony about 1298; Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 305. Afterwards it was found
that Michael had died in the king's peace
at Dunbar, and that Joan wife of Alan
del Karr was his next heir; ibid. i, 310.
Adam de Hesketh in 1307 demised land
in Longton to Alan del Karr and Joan
his wife; B.M. Add. Chart. 26033. For
the Hoole family see Kuerden MSS. iii,
B 14 d.
No manor seems to have been claimed
by the Botelers in Longton. After the
death of James Boteler in 1504 his lands
in Longton were stated to be held of the
king by services unknown; Duchy of
Lanc. Inq. p.m. iii, no. 109. Nothing
more definite is to be found in later inquisitions. On the dispersal of the estate
the lands in Longton may have been purchased by the Heskeths, as some Boteler
deeds are found among theirs.
||Land of Robert de Shireburne, who
was at that time seneschal of Clitheroe,
is mentioned in a deed of 1315; Harl.
MS. 2042, fol. 101. Robert de Shireburne and Alice his wife secured a messuage and land in Longton against John
Benet of Lancaster and Christiana his
wife in 1329; Final Conc. ii, 74. For
some years (1324 onward) William
son of Amery atte More claimed land
against William and Adam (sons of
Henry) Pluket, with whom Robert de
Shireburne was joined; Assize R. 425,
m. 1 d.; 426, m. 4; 1417, m. 7 d. In
1339 William (son of John son of
William) de Longton and Alice his wife
claimed a messuage and lands in Longton
and Hutton against Sir John de Shireburne and Thomas son of Warine de la
More; Margaret the wife of Sir John
had not been summoned, and the verdict
was against Thomas only; Assize R.
1435, m. 36. The succession to the
dower of Margaret widow of Sir John de
Shireburne was settled in 1391; Final
Conc. iii, 38.
By an inquisition taken in 1441 it was
found that Richard Shireburne held, in
conjunction with Agnes his wife, the
'manor' of Longton of the king as Earl
of Lincoln in socage; Lancs. Rec. Inq.
p.m. no. 30, 31. But by a later one
(1446–7) it appeared that Richard and
Agnes had held 'certain tenements and
messuages' in Longton of Sir William
Ashton and William Fleming in socage
by a rent of 12s.; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet.
Soc.), ii, 53.
Richard Shireburne (1513) was found
to have held his messuage and land in
Longton of the Abbot of Evesham and
Thomas Hesketh in socage; Duchy of
Lanc. Inq. p.m. iv, no. 46. Hugh, his
son (1528), had messuages, &c., together
with a close called Newfield, containing
parcel of the manor-place of Longton,
held of Robert Hesketh and Thomas
Ashton; ibid. vi, no. 65. Hugh's son
Thomas (1536), who had also a windmill
in Longton, held similarly; ibid. viii, no.
33. In a later inquiry it was found that
Thomas Shireburne had held of Sir Robert
Hesketh, Thomas Ashton and the Abbot
of Evesham in socage by a rent of 16d.;
Add. MS. 32108, no. 617. Sir Richard
Shireburne made purchases in Longton in
1556 from Thurstan Mawdesley and in
1565 from Robert Midgehall; Pal. of Lanc.
Feet of F. bdle. 17, m. 180; 29, m. 116.
The 'manor' is named in a settlement
of 1579; ibid. bdle. 41, m. 199. It is,
however, not named in later inquisitions,
though the Shireburnes seem to have been
accepted as part lords of the manor. In
1628 Richard Shireburne's messuages,
&c., in Longton were found to be held of
the king as Earl of Lincoln; Duchy of
Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxvi, no. 4. The
'manor' again occurs in 1645; Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 145, m. 4. Also
in 1737 (Mary, Duchess dowager of Norfolk), and in 1777 (Thomas Weld); Pal.
of Lanc. Plea R. 544, m. 13; 625, m.
10 d. (16).
||Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 105b.
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), i, 181–4; for lands held by
William Farington of Worden.
||Gastrell, Notitia Cestr. (Chet. Soc.),
End. Char. Rep. (Penwortham).
||Gastrell, loc. cit. in note.
||Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1870), ii, 155.
||Some particulars of members of this
family will be found in preceding notes.
Adam son of Geoffrey Busshel in 1292
claimed two messuages, &c., against Hugh
Pluket, who had received them from
Thomas Banastre, who in turn had had
them from plaintiff's father, tenant by
the law of England after the death of
Margery his wife; Assize R. 408, m. 18 d.
||In 1204–5 Robert son of Geoffrey
sued Robert son of Uctred for 6 oxgangs
of land committed to him by Hugh
Bussel until defendant should come of
age; Curia Regis R. 36. Geoffrey de
Longton is named in the Pipe Roll of
1177–8 as paying a fine of half a mark
'for the forest'; Farrer, Lancs. Pipe R.
38. A Robert son of Ughtred (de Singleton) occurs from 1184, but is probably
another person; ibid. 56, &c.
Robert de Longton son of Geoffrey
gave to his brother also named Robert
four ridges of arable land in the Marsh
field; Towneley MS. DD, no. 1641.
One of these Roberts obtained by exchange the right of Robert de Clett in
the oxgang of land held by Roger son of
Agnes, and from Robert son of Ellis de
Hutton a third part of the fishery of
Hutton; ibid. no. 1649, 1651.
William son of Jordan de Longton held
land of Fleming in 1307; ibid. no. 1643.
Robert son of Richard son of Sibyl
granted to William de Prees an oxgang of
land formerly held by Walter le Norreys
and Gilbert his son; ibid. no. 1644.
William son of Hugh Ploket granted 2
acres on Tunsteads to Adam son of Henry
son of Adam de Longton; ibid. no. 1646.
Roger son of Adam de Longton gave
an acre to his son John; ibid. no. 1653.
He also gave a croft on the Rabis (previously held by his brother Thomas) to
his son Geoffrey, as well as 4 acres belonging to his oxgang (church land);
ibid. no. 1657. William de Loxham
gave to Geoffrey son of Roger de Longton
land in Tormerehakir and in Roskald for
a rent of 6d., payable at Preston fair;
ibid. no. 1647. Geoffrey was living in
1292 when a claim against him by
Beatrice widow of Thomas son of Adam
de Longton was non-suited; Assize R.
408, m. 34 d.
William son of Siward the Clerk of
Longton called upon Thomas son of
Robert de Loxham to warrant to him
a messuage and land in Longton, for
which he had Robert's charter; De Banco
R. 236 (1320), m. 344.
William son of Thomas the Clerk of
Longton acquired a considerable estate
about 1326–36. In 1326 he and his
wife Joan made a settlement of lands in
Hutton and Longton, the remainders
being to Joan's sister Alice and then to
Robert de Shireburne; Final Conc. ii,
61, 62. In 1331 Alice, John and Adam
del How granted 2 acres in the field
called Nutgreave to William and his sons
William and John; Towneley MS. DD,
no. 1674. Abel son of William son of
Abel de Longton gave land from which
12d. a year was due to Sir William de
Lea, to Roger son of William son of
Thomas the Clerk; ibid. no. 1676.
There are many other deeds of the family
in the same volume; from one (no. 1744)
it appears that Joan was a daughter of
Robert de Loxham.
Notice of another Longton family will
be found in the account of Hutton.
||Several references will be found in
the notes. A suit which went on for
some years related to land claimed by
Henry Ploket against John Burgeys of
Longton; De Banco R. 201, m. 265 d.;
206, m. 67, &c. In 1317–18 Henry son of
Hugh Ploket of Penwortham gave land in
Longton to his brother Adam; Towneley
MS. DD, no. 1665. Adam son of Adam
Ploket demised to Richard de Worthington land in Turneracre and Shortbutts;
ibid. no. 1668.
||The place-name How or Haw occurs.
The family seem to have been tenants
of the Hospitallers, for in 1327 and 1332
the Prior of St. John made claims against
Amery and Alice del Haw; De Banco R.
270, m. 72 d.; 292, m. 354d. Henry
del Haw and Agnes his wife occur in
1422; Final Conc. iii, 82. Henry made
a feoffment of his lands in Longton in
1435; Towneley MS. C 8, 13 (Chet.
||There may have been several families
of the name, formerly spelt Loxum.
William de Loxham gave lands in Tormereaker and Roskald to Geoffrey son of
Roger de Longton; Towneley MS. DD,
no. 1647. Alice, as widow of William
de Loxham, claimed dower in 1292;
Assize R. 408, m. 54 d.
Geoffrey de Loxham, Joan his wife and
John their son had a charter from the How
family in 1331; Towneley MS. DD,
no. 1659. Geoffrey son of Robert de Loxham
granted to Richardson of Simon de Howick
ten ridges in the Strinds, formerly held by
Geoffrey's brother Adam; four of them
lay between the grantor's land and that
of the abbot, three between the earl's
land and that of Geoffrey's brother Warine,
and the other three between the earl's
land and that of Roger son of Adam;
Kuerden fol. MS. 234. Margery widow
of Geoffrey de Loxham in 1287 claimed
land in Longton against Michael son of
John de Hoole and Simon de Hoole and
Amery his wife; De Banco R. 69, m. 45.
There are charters of William and Warine
sons of Geoffrey in Kuerden, loc. cit.
There are a number of Longton charters
in the British Museum (Add. Chart.
26025–42), the earliest of which (1288)
is a grant by Robert son of Robert son
of Siward de Longton to Robert son
of Geoffrey de Loxham. In 1322 John
son of William de Loxham gave to
William de Breeke land formerly held
of Robert brother of the grantor.
In 1424 Thomas Loxham settled the
moiety of his messuages, fishery, &c., on
his daughter Isabel wife of William
Strickland; Final Conc. iii, 89. The
other daughter Joan married a Sherdley,
as appears from a pleading of 1521, in
which the Strickland pedigree is thus
given: Isabel -s. John -s. William -s.
John (defendant); Pal. of Lanc. Plea
R. 132, m. 13 d. Peter Farington in
1548 made complaint as to the turbary
in Longton moss against John Strickland
and others; Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.),
Ralph Loxham died in 1622 holding
partly of Richard Fleetwood by 1d. rent,
and partly of Richard Shireburne by a
fraction of 18d.; William his son and
heir was thirty years of age; Lancs. Inq.
p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), iii, 348.
||A fine concerning messuages and
lands was in 1396 made between Gilbert
son of William de Hurleton, whose wife
was Elizabeth daughter of William de
Chisnall, and William de Hurleton the
younger, whose wife Maud appears to
have been the heiress; Final Conc. iii,
48. Henry de Howick, in right of his
wife Alice, cousin and heir of Peter de
Risley, obtained the homage of William
de Hurleton by the verdict of twelve men
of Longton in 1398–9; Harl. MS. 2042,
Ralph Fleetwood purchased messuages,
land and fishing in the Ribble from
Richard Hurleston and Elizabeth his wife
in 1583; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle.
45, m. 97.
||In 1338 John son of Thomas de
Sowerby and Margery his wife, in conjunction with their sons Thomas and
Richard, obtained the reversion of the
moiety of messuages and land in Longton
from Ellen daughter of William de
Howick, William being tenant for life,
Robert Bonel and Quenilda his wife
putting in their claim; Final Conc. ii,
109. From a later suit (1347) it appears
that the surname Sowerby had been
changed to Migelhalgh; Robert Bonel and
Quenilda prosecuted their claim, Quenilda
and Ellen being daughters of William de
Howick by his wife Alice daughter of
Hugh Ploket; Assize R. 1435, m. 17 d.;
1444, m. 6 d.
George 'Medgeall' died in 1557 holding messuages, &c., in Longton of the
lord of the place (not named) in socage;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. x, no. 22.
From Robert, his son and heir, Sir
Richard Shireburne purchased his holding
in Longton, Hutton and Howick in 1565;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 27, m. 103.
||See, for example, Final Conc. iii,
110, 121, 131.
||Nicholas Huyton's land in 1527 was
held partly of Evesham Abbey by a rent
of 8d. and partly of Burscough Priory by
12d. rent; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vi,
no. 53. For disputes as to the inheritance
see Ducatus Lanc. ii, 254, 266.
||The tenement of the Banastres of
Bank was held of William Farington of
Worden in 1555–94 by the rent of ½d.;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. x, no. 37;
xvii, no. 46.
||In addition to the Faringtons already
named another branch of the family had
land in Longton. Charles Farington, of
Hutton, the elder, is named in 1492; in
1507 he gave lands in Longton to his
son Richard, and in his will of the same
year other sons are named—Charles,
William, John and James; Piccope MSS.
xiv, 80. In 1566 Richard son and heir
of Hugh Farington of Ribbleton and
Thomas son and heir of Richard Farington (late of Heskin) held lands in
Longton as co-parceners, a rent of 3d.
being due to Sir Thomas Hesketh;
Kuerden MSS. iii, L 5. An agreement
as to partition then made is in Add. MS.
32108, no. 661. Richard Farington of
Longton in the time of James I granted
lands, &c., to Robert Hesketh; ibid. L 6, 7.
Hugh Farington of Ribbleton died in
1637 holding land in Longton of the heir
of Robert Hesketh of Rufford; Towneley
MS. C 8, 13 (Chet. Lib.), 423–4.
||George Hesketh of Poulton (1572)
held lands in Longton of John Fleetwood
by a rent of 12d.; Duchy of Lanc. Inq.
p.m. xiii, no. 15. This may have been
acquired by James Stopford of Ulnes
Walton, who held similarly in 1611;
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), i, 170; ii, 73.
Gabriel Hesketh of Aughton (1573)
held his tenement of John Fleetwood,
John Kuerden, Thomas Sherdley and
Lewis Longton by a rent of ½d.; Duchy
of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xii, no. 32. Bartholomew Hesketh (his son) and Margaret
his wife in 1586 sold lands in Longton
and Bretherton to Richard Taylor; Pal.
of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 48, m. 24.
||As above shown part at least of the
Sherdley estate was inherited from Loxham. The pedigree in the Plea Roll of
1521 cited runs thus: Thomas Loxham
—dr. Joan -s. Richard Sherdley -s.
Thomas -s. Henry (plaintiff). Henry
Sherdley died in 1563 holding messuages,
windmill, land, &c., in Longton of John
Fleetwood by a rent of 3s. 4d. yearly.
His other lands in Hutton and Farington
had also been monastic property; and he
had a free fishery in the Ribble. Thomas
his son and heir was forty years of age;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xiii, no. 27.
Shortly afterwards occurs a Peter Sherdley; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 42,
m. 84; 45, m. 47. Thomas Sherdley
occurs in the time of Elizabeth; Ducatus
Lanc. iii, 191, 474. John Sherdley of
Longton was a freeholder in 1600; Misc.
(Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 245.
Richard Sherdley, apparently the heir
of Henry, died in 1639 holding messuages,
&c., in Longton, Hutton and Farington
as before; Ralph, his son and heir, was
forty-two years of age; Towneley MS.
C 8, 13, p. 1091. In 1633 he had enfeoffed his third son Edward of an estate
in Longton and Hutton.
Several members of the family are
mentioned in agreements of 1605–7;
Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 293, m. 6; 300,
m. 4. See also Kuerden MSS. iii, L 6,
7, 8. About that time a large part of
their holding appears to have been sold to
Robert Hesketh of Rufford; Add. MS.
32108, no. 651–60, 662, &c.
||Richard Taylor of Preston (1596)
held a messuage, &c., of Robert Hesketh
and Thomas Ashton as of their manor of
Longton; and this descended to another
Richard Taylor, after whose death in
1631 a similar tenure was recorded;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvii, no. 25;
xxvii, no. 63. See note 7 above.
||This family deserves mention as
founder of the school. William Walton
and John his son and heir-apparent held
six messuages, lands, &c., in Longton,
Howick and Hutton in 1593; Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 55, m. 209. John
Walton of Howick held his lands of
Richard Fleetwood in 1620; Lancs. Inq.
p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii,
||John Wilding's land in 1640 was
held of the heirs of William Charnock by
a rent of 3½d.; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m.
xxix, no. 87.
||Longton is named among the Hospitallers' lands in 1292; Plac. de Quo
Warr. (Rec. Com.), 375. Land belonging
to them is named in a charter which may
be dated about 1216; Penwortham Priory,
10. Somewhat later Robert Bussel granted
to Adam son of Henry de Howick his
land on the Little Moss called Iggesyke,
except the portions of a certain oxgang of
land which Thomas (son of Robert) held
of the Hospital of Jerusalem; Harl. MS.
2042, fol. 101.
The rental made about 1540 shows the
following tenants and rents: Prior of
Penwortham, 9d.; Peter Farington, 12d.;
Thomas Haworth, 12d.; churchwardens
of Penwortham, 5d.; Hugh Bretherton,
1½d.; John Longton, 4d.; Kuerden MSS.
v, fol. 83b.
||Robert Bussel granted land in the
field of Turnureacres and on Stanfurlong;
Geoffrey his son added other portions;
Burscough Reg. fol. 52. The following
were tenants in 1524: Humphrey Hurleton, 8d.; John Farington (in Howick),
6d.; heirs of Hueton (Pallasacre), 4d.;
Peter Farington, 6d.; Duchy of Lanc.
Rentals, 5/16. In 1540 were named:
Thomas Hurleston, 8d.; John More (late
Robert Hueton), 4d.; Duchy of Lanc.
Mins. Accts. bdle. 136, no. 2203.
||Subs. R. 130, no. 126 Lancs.
||Ibid. 131, no. 210.
||Land tax returns at Preston.
||33 Geo. II, c. 23 (private); Lancs.
and Ches. Rec. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), i, 56; Lancs. and Ches. Antiq. Soc.
||Eafward, priest of Longton, is named
about 1150; Penwortham Priory, 4, 41.
||His will, dated 1528, is printed in
Piccope's Wills (Chet. Soc.), i, 33–5. To
Longton Chapel he left a mass-book,
chalice and other 'ornaments' for the
celebration of mass. The chantry priest
was not to cause any prejudice to the
church of Penwortham by withdrawing
any of the customary dues. He was to
keep the buildings, &c., belonging to the
endowment in proper condition. Thomas
Walton, the son of Katherine Milner,
was made executor and chief legatee.
From a will of Thomas Hesketh of
Rufford, dated 1521, it appears that he
had a share in founding the chantry, and
the patronage was afterwards exercised by
Sir Thomas Hesketh; Towneley MS.
HE (Hen. VIII, no. 9); Duchy Plead.
(Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), iii, 189–191.
||The chapel appears to have been but
scantily furnished in 1552; Church Goods
(Chet. Soc.), 132.
||See Duchy Plead. loc. cit. There
were renewed disputes in 1598; Exch.
Dep. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 10.
||See the account of Penwortham
Hist. MSS. Com. Rep. xiv, App. iv,
Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.),
i, 67. The schoolmaster's name was
Commonw. Ch. Surv. (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), 106. In 1646 the
Parliamentary authorities had assigned
£30 a year (afterwards increased) out of
the sequestered estates of John Fleetwood
and others for the maintenance of a curate
at Longton, and in 1648–52 Richard
Briggs, 'a godly and orthodox divine,'
was minister; Plund. Mins. Accts. (Rec.
Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 40, 66, 68, 246.
John Cowdray, a Longton yeoman, was a
member of the classis in 1646.
||A petition addressed to the Bishop
of Chester states: 'The chapel of Longton is very ancient and has been supplied
with prayers and preaching once a month
by the neighbouring clergy. Upon the
inclosure of Longton Common the lords
and charterers set apart 20 acres for the
use of the chapel and school of Longton.
These 20 acres were inclosed and about
two years ago sold and by part of the
money thereby arising the queen's bounty
is obtained for the chapel, and the £400
not yet being laid out the interest is duly
paid to Mr. Timothy Corles, who officiates
at the chapel, though he is not licensed
and is not in priest's orders'; Dioc. Reg.
||Gastrell, Notitia Cestr. ii, 388–9.
||A circular marble font was given by
H. Fleetwood, 1725.
||The advowsons of Penwortham and
Longton were held by John Aspinall and
Caroline his wife in 1752; Pal. of Lanc.
Feet of F. bdle. 349, m. 98.
||From papers at the Diocesan
||Note by Mr. Earwaker. Corles or
Corless had been schoolmaster there
||Presented by Rev. Edward Martin
||Presented by James Barton.
||Also rector of Bethnal Green. He
was buried at Penwortham in 1809, aged
85. He was a son of William Loxham
of Longton; Foster, Alumni Oxon.
||He resided in Longton. In 1821
there were services on Sunday morning
and afternoon, with sermon each time,
also on Christmas Day, Good Friday and
public fasts. The sacrament was administered four times a year. There was
a surplice; the plate consisted of a silver
flagon, cup and plate.
||Also incumbent of Penwortham.
||He published A Continental Tour, &c.
||Vicar of Loddington 1900–5.
||Hewitson, Our Country Churches, 269.
The same writer (p. 271) says: 'We
ought to observe that Longton was in
1840 one of the grand hot-beds of Mormonism. Brigham Young once preached
at Longton; Longton contributed £100
towards the first printing press of the
Mormons; many Longton people emigrated to the Salt Lake; and during the
crusade both the Protestant church and
Wesleyan chapel of the village were for a
time rather seriously shattered.'