Townships
Mawdesley

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)

Year published

1911

Pages

96-100

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Townships: Mawdesley', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 6 (1911), pp. 96-100. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53078 Date accessed: 25 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

MAWDESLEY

Moudesley, 1288; Moudeslegh, 1302; Maudsley, 1327.

This township, which was formerly closely connected with Croston, has an area of 2,934 acres, (fn. 1) and the population in 1901 was 969. In the west and north the moss-land is below the 25 ft. level, the surface rising to 160 ft. above the ordnance datum on the south-east border. The principal hamlet is at Hurst Green, near the centre; another, called the Nook, lies to the north-east. Black Moor is in the south-west.

The chief road is that passing north-east and north through the two hamlets mentioned; another road near the Douglas, which forms the western boundary, goes to Rufford, crossing the river at White Bridge. Near the same place the Lancashire and Yorkshire Company's railway from Liverpool to Preston passes through a corner of Mawdesley.

The soil is a stiff clay, with subsoil of marl and clay. Wheat, oats and beans are grown. Basketmaking and willow-growing have been important industries for some fifty years. Mawdesley grown rods, which are raised on dry, not marshy, land, have obtained a reputation in the trade for strength. (fn. 2)

Mawdesley is governed by a parish council.

There are remains of ancient crosses at Hurst Green and near the border of Eccleston. The latter is called Robin Hood's Cross, and has a well near it. (fn. 3)

Near the eastern boundary is a place called Blue Stone; about a mile to the south is a saline spring, known as Salt Pit. (fn. 4)

Charles Leigh about 1700 noticed a sulphur water spring at Humblescough Green in Mawdesley. (fn. 5)

In 1666 there were ninety-three hearths recorded in the hearth tax list. The chief house was that of Mr. Mawdesley, with eleven hearths; no other had as many as six. (fn. 6)

Manor

The manor of MAWDESLEY was anciently joined with that of Croston, (fn. 7) and had identically the same history until a century ago, when the moieties of both were held by Hesketh and Trafford. The moiety of Mawdesley, however, was not sold by Sir T. D. Hesketh together with his moiety of Croston; and thus the present lords of the manor are Sir Thomas George Fermor Hesketh of Rufford and Mr. Sigismund Cathcart de Trafford of Croston. Manor courts are held annually.

The townships having been thus closely connected, Mawdesley being sometimes described as a hamlet of Croston, (fn. 8) those who held land in the one usually held it in the other, but some of the resident freeholders seem to have assumed the local name. (fn. 9) One of these families about the 16th century became prominent, (fn. 10) and their house was known as Mawdesley Hall. Pedigrees were recorded in 1613 (fn. 11) and 1664. (fn. 12) The estate descended to the Rev. Thomas Mawdesley, who died in or before 1737, (fn. 13) and his executors then sold it to Alexander Kershaw, who resided in the adjacent township of Heskin. (fn. 14) In 1870 it was sold by the Kershaw trustees to William Bretherton, who died in 1890, and has descended to his son the Rev. H. W. Bretherton, rector of Eccleston. (fn. 15)


Mawdesley. Sable on a cheveron between three pickaxes argent as many annulets of the field.

Mawdesley Hall is situated at the north end of the village at the top of an outcrop of red sandstone rock, some 10 or 12 ft. above the road, from which it stands back a distance of about twenty yards. The house, which faces south, is of two stories, of the H type of plan, originally built in the 17th century, but much altered towards the end of the 18th or beginning of the 19th century, the central hall being of the first date and the two wings of the second. A low lean-to building has also been added in modern times at the back between the wings.

The central portion, which is of timber and plaster on a low stone base, measures about 30 ft. across outside, and like the rest of the house is of two stories, the upper one projecting and carried by carved brackets and a plaster cove. There is also a cove under the eaves, but the 'half timber work' in the upper part of the wall is paint on plaster, and the windows are modern casements. The ground floor, however, retains its original 17th-century timber framing and doorway, one-half of its length, on the west, being occupied by a large mullioned and transomed window. The west wing, which projects 8 ft., is built in red sandstone with yellow stone dressings and chamfered quoins, and the windows have architraves and keystones and corbelled sills. The east wing has a projection of 9 ft. and is of brick with stone quoins and plain square-headed windows, but the plainness of its appearance is concealed by ivy. The roofs, which are covered with stone slates, are hipped back from the wings on the front elevation with very good effect, but have gables at the back. The general appearance of the house is one of much picturesqueness, the contrast of colour in the materials used being very happy.


Mawdesley Hall

The central wing has a door at the east end opening into a lobby, beyond which are the staircase and the door to the hall on the left. The hall, which has a flagged floor, is 21 ft. 3 in. long, 17 ft. 8 in. wide, and 9 ft. 3 in. high, and is lighted on the south side by a long window of eleven lights. The ceiling is divided into three bays of unequal width by two round-chamfered oak beams, one at either side of the fireplace, with supporting brackets to the wall posts. The walls are wainscoted in oak on three sides to a height of 6 ft. 8 in. in three stages, the west wall alone being left plain, except for a panelled dado 2 ft. high. On the lintel of the doorway are the letters W.M. for William Mawdesley. The same initials with the date 1625 are cut in the stone head of the fireplace. The fireplace is 8 ft. 4 in. wide, making the middle ceiling bay of much greater width than the others. Over the fireplace is a large plaster panel of rather rough workmanship, (fn. 16) with a shield bearing the Mawdesley arms with helm, crest, and mantling, together with the date 1655 and the initials R.M. for Robert Mawdesley. The different dates and initials would seem to show that the hall was originally erected by William Mawdesley, and that alterations were being made before his death (1659) by his son Robert. Except for the hall, the interior of the house has little interest, the end wings being comparatively modern, though some of the old doors with their original furniture are retained. The timber framing of the central wing shows on the north elevation above the lean-to roof of the addition, together with the old stone chimney of the hall, but the framing is of a purely constructional character. The gables at the back are quite plain, without barge-boards.

The garden in front of the house has a stone fence wall with good moulded coping and is approached directly from the road by a rocky incline and a flight of eight steps leading to a small wooden gate, which has a semicircular stone recess on one side, with a stone bearing the initials of Robert Mawdesley and the date 1653. These steps and the built-up wall of the garden form a very picturesque feature.

On the north side is a large timber and plaster barn, probably of the same date as the house.

In addition to the local surname, the names of Bispham, Germain, Bamford and Rigby occur in the 14th century. (fn. 17) Another noteworthy family of long continuance was that of Nelson; a pedigree was recorded in 1613 by the Fairhurst branch. (fn. 18) Gilbert Nelson died in 1628 holding a messuage and land of Thomas Ashton, and leaving a son and heir Richard, seventeen years of age. (fn. 19) Others also occur in the inquisitions as holding lands of the lords of the manor. (fn. 20)


Steps to Mawdesley Hall

William de Ferrers died in 1288 holding 2 oxgangs of land in Mawdesley, occupied by John Banastre, who rendered 40d. yearly. (fn. 21) In later times the Banastres of Bank held land in the township of Lord Mounteagle (fn. 22) ; Henry Finch died in 1641 holding 10 acres of Lord Morley (fn. 23) ; and other land was held of the lords of Leylandshire. (fn. 24)


Nelson of Fairhurst. Or a cross patonce sable, over all a bendlet gules.

The freeholders named in 1600 were Robert Mawdesley, Gilbert Nelson and William Sharples (fn. 25) ; but the only landowner in the subsidy roll of 1628 was William Mawdesley. (fn. 26) A number of the inhabitants suffered the sequestration of their property under the Commonwealth, mostly on account of religion (fn. 27) ; Hugh Waterforth had his forfeited and sold. (fn. 28) A large number of yeomen 'Papists' registered estates in Mawdesley in 1717. (fn. 29) In 1789 the principal contributors to the land tax were the heirs of Alexander Kershaw and those of Mr. Hesketh. (fn. 30)

In the reign of Elizabeth there was a dispute as to turbary in the town fields of Croston and Mawdesley. (fn. 31)

For the Church of England St. Peter's was built in 1840, (fn. 32) and has since been enlarged; the rector of Croston presents.

There was a Wesleyan chapel built in 1844, (fn. 33) and replaced in 1905 by a larger edifice.

A school was founded by Thomas Crook of Abram about 1690. (fn. 34)

The adherents of the Roman Catholic religion remained numerous after the Reformation, (fn. 35) but no particulars are available as to means of worship. The church of SS. Peter and Paul was built in 1830–1.

Footnotes

1 The Census Rep. 1901 gives 2,947 acres, including 3 of inland water; in addition there are 2 acres of tidal water.
2 Hewitson, Our Country Churches, 235; the writer gives an unfavourable account of the conditions of the place about 1870. Kew Bulletin, no. 9 (1908).
3 Lancs. and Ches. Antiq. Soc. xvii, 12 13.
4 Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1836), iii, 405.
5 Nat. Hist. of Lancs. bk. i, 31.
6 Subs. R. Lancs. bdle. 250, no. 9.
7 About 1250 an agreement was made between Matthew son of Robert de Holland and Amery his wife on one side and John de la Mare on the other respecting woods, wastes, &c., pertaining to John's manor in Mawdesley; Add. MS. 32106, no. 1480.
8 In 1364 Thomas son of Roger de Tunstall made a feoffment of his lands in 'Mawdesley, a hamlet of Croston'; Towneley MS. DD, no. 443. Later, in 1373, Thomas Fleming demised a messuage in Mawdesley, a hamlet of Croston; ibid. BB (Add. MS. 32104), no. 1434.
On the other hand Amery daughter of Richard son of Alicock in her widowhood gave to John the Tailor land in Alicock's Riddings in the 'vill of Mawdesley' (no. 1494) and in 1332 Mawdesley appears as a distinct township; Exch. Lay Subs. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 45. In 1360 also Richard de Hale of Bowdon and Alice his wife released to Sir William de Hesketh all their title to lands in the vill of Mawdesley belonging to Ralph son of Roger de Tunstall, formerly husband of Alice; Towneley MS. BB, no. 1495.
9 William de Lea in 1324 demised to Richard son of Adam son of Alan de Mawdesley all his land in Donkannescar mestre; no. 1478. To the same Richard Sir John Fleming in 1316 gave two messuages, an oxgang of land, &c., for 8s. rent; no. 1523. This is probably the Richard whose lands, with the wardship of his son and heir Roger, were about 1356 granted to Roger de Winstanley; Dep. Keeper's Rep. xxxii, App. 344. Richard had held of the duke in chief. Alice widow of Roger de Mawdesley in 1374 claimed dower against William son of William de Lea and Isolda his wife; De Banco R. 453, m. 77 d.; 457, m. 187.
John son of Adam son of Alan de Mawdesley in 1325 gave to William Palmer and Joan his wife a house and land for life; Towneley MS. BB, no. 1479. John son of Adam de Mawdesley made a grant to his son William in 1332; no. 1499. William son of John son of Adam de Mawdesley in 1342 released to Sir William de Hesketh all his lands in Mawdesley in the vill of Croston; no. 1456. Roger son of Ralph son of Adam son of Alan de Mawdesley was a defendant in 1360; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 8, m. 14.
William de Bartaill in 1327 complained that Richard son of Adam son of Alan de Mawdesley and others had made a rescue of cattle seized for customs and services; De Banco R. 269, m. 65 d. Anabil widow of William de Bartaill in 1346 sought dower in forty messuages, &c., in Mawdesley; ibid. 346, m. 285.
Hugh de Mawdesley, apparently the head of another line, acted as a juror in 1293; Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 281. Sir William de Lea in 1328 gave a small piece of land called Peycroft, by the Millhey Clough, to Henry son of Hugh de Mawdesley; Towneley MSS. GG (Add. MS. 32107), no. 1317; RR (32104), no. 1011.
In 1344 Sir John Fleming demised lands in Mawdesley formerly held of him by Henry Hulcockson to William son of Richard Hudeson de Mawdesley, Elizabeth daughter of Henry Hulcockson and the said Henry and Alice his wife; ibid. BB, no. 1395. About the same time Sir John granted lands for a term to William son of John son of Hugh de Mawdesley, Joan his wife and John and Henry their sons; no. 1450. John de Lawfield in 1347 made a claim against John son of Roger Elotson of Mawdesley, Roger son of Hugh de Mawdesley, Warine Banastre of the same, Robert son of Warine de Bispham, Richard son of Hugh de Mawdesley, and John de Burscough of Ryecroft; De Banco R. 350, m. 122. Richard son of William de Mawdesley was a plaintiff in 1359; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 7, m. 6. Thomas de Mawdesley attested a charter in 1379; Towneley MS. BB, no. 75. He appears again ten years later; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), i, 28.
10 Some of the above may have been among the ancestors of the later Mawdesley family; see Baines' Lancs. (ed. Croston), iv, 131, where the pedigree is traced back to Thomas son of William Mawdesley, who had confirmation of his lands in 1481. Edward and Thomas Mawdesley are named in 1467; Pal. of Lanc. Writs Proton. 7 Edw. IV. Ottwell Mawdesley of Mawdesley was in 1532 excused from serving on juries, he being seventy years of age; Rev. W. Michell's D.
Thomas Mawdesley occurs in various pleadings of 1540–55, and Richard son of Thomas later; Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), i, 174, &c.; ii, 171. Thomas Mawdesley was the only landowner named as contributing to the subsidy in 1564; Subs. R. Lancs. bdle. 131, no. 210.
Richard Mawdesley in 1557 purchased some land from Richard Ashton and Jane his wife; and Thurstan Mawdesley in 1574 made a settlement of his lands, &c., in Mawdesley, Heskin and Leyland; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdles. 17, m. 169; 36, m. 63.
Robert Mawdesley in 1583 was alleged to be withholding the rent of 15s. due for his oxgang of land (14 acres), &c., in Mawdesley to Thomas son of Richard Ashton of Croston, lord of the manor; Duchy of Lanc. Plead. Eliz. cxxxv, A 62. Robert Mawdesley replied that more than sixty years previously his grandfather William had held the capital messuage called Mawdesley Hall and 40 acres of land, and had been succeeded by a son and heir Thomas, whose son was Robert above named; ibid. cxxxviii, A 9. Robert Mawdesley in 1584 made a settlement of five messuages, lands, &c., in Mawdesley and Wrightington; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 46, m. 112. He is no doubt the Robert son of Thomas of the pedigree recorded in 1613.
Richard Mawdesley in 1597 claimed a right of way to Longshaw in Mawdesley over lands bought by Sir Thomas Hesketh from Robert Dalton; Exch. Dep. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 8.
11 Visit. (Chet. Soc.), 75.
12 Dugdale, Visit. (Chet. Soc.), 195. Robert Mawdesley, who died in 1659, and was called 'esquire,' left to his son and heir Alexander two signet rings, 'wishing he would make them both into one signet or sealing ring and thereon to set his coat of arms, and to leave the same to the heir male.' The inventory of his goods amounted to £40, and £368 was owing to him.
Alexander's son and heir Robert was Sheriff of Lancashire in 1720; P.R.O. List, 74. Robert's son and ultimate heir was the vendor of the estate.
13 These particulars are from the pedigree in Croston's Baines, above referred to, and that in Piccope MSS. (Chet. Lib.), ii, p. 90. See also Lancs. and Ches. Antiq. Notes, i, 143. This Thomas left his estates to a cousin and namesake, the Rev. Thomas Mawdesley of Astley, but they were so encumbered that they had to be sold, which was done under an order of the Court of Chancery; inform. of Mr. F. L. Mawdesley.
14 See the account of Heskin in Eccleston.
15 Inform. of Rev. H. W. Bretherton.
16 The panel, including the arms, has been painted red, blue and white (1908).
17 Alice widow of Sir John de Hesketh and Sir William de Hesketh granted land formerly belonging to John son of Adam de Mawdesley to Roger son of Adam de Bispham in 1345; Towneley MS. BB, no. 1405. Roger son of Henry de Bispham in the preceding year gave to Sir Robert de Dalton all the lands he had by the gift of William de Hutton and Sir John de Hutton; no. 1501. Adam son of Gilbert de Hutton in 1302 recovered land in Mawdesley and Croston, in right of his grandmother Alice, against William de Hutton, who had entered as son and heir of Cecily, put in seisin by Adam's guardian; Assize R. 418, m. 3.
Sir John le Fleming in 1316 demised land in Mawdesley to Thomas son of John Germain and Alice his wife; Towneley MS. BB, no. 1425. The same lord in 1331 demised to John Germain, Alice his wife and Henry his son land in Mawdesley for life at a rent of 8s. 4d.; no. 1457. In 1345 he demised land formerly held by Henry Germain to John Germain, Amot his wife and Ralph his son; no. 1448. Joan daughter of Robert Germain did not in 1360 prosecute her claim against Thomas son of Roger de Clifton for a tenement in Mawdesley; Assize R. 441, m. 1 d. Thomas Germain, late of Mawdesley and then of Sulhyle (Solihull) in Warwickshire, son and heir of William Germain, in 1473 sold his messuage, &c., in Mawdesley to Richard Ashton; Raines MSS. (Chet. Lib.), xxv, p. 283. These passed to Warine Nelson, whose sons Robert and Thomas had them in 1507–8; ibid. pp. 283, 287.
In 1398 Henry de Bamford and Ellen his wife had lands, &c., in Mawdesley and Croston; Final Conc. iii, 54. The lands are not named in the Bamford inquisitions, but a Bamford House at one time existed; Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1836), iii, 405. See also Ducatus Lancs. (Rec. Com.), i, 257; iii, 48, 52.
William Rigby and Katherine his wife (in her right) had messuages and lands in 1380, which they demised for life to John Rutter, Joan his wife and their sons Richard and Alexander; Final Conc. iii, 8. Thomas Ashton of Croston in 1597 demised to his brother Richard Ashton of Mawdesley a capital messuage called the New Hall, formerly Rigby's Orchard; Raines MSS. xxv, p. 302.
18 See Lancs. and Ches. Hist. and Gen. Notes, i, 363, 398; also the account of Fairhurst in Wrightington. Hugh Nelson acquired a barn, &c., from Richard Ashton in 1557; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 19, m. 67. Robert Nelson a year earlier purchased lands, &c., in Croston and Mawdesley from the Daltons; ibid. bdle. 17, m. 168, 183. William Nelson made other acquisitions from 1569 onwards; ibid. bdle. 21, m. 37, &c. Among those who sold to him were Henry Banastre (1566); ibid. bdle. 28, m. 128; Thomas Mercer and Thomas his son and heir (1574); bdle. 36, m. 169; Peter Hurdes and Thomas his son (1588); bdle. 50, m. 79. William Nelson in 1579 demised land lying on the south side of the highway called the Towngate in Mawdesley; Towneley MS. GG, no. 1295. Thomas Nelson, son and heir of William, had lands in Croston in 1590; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdles. 51, m. 202; 52, m. 67.
Richard Nelson the elder had lands in 1587; ibid. bdle. 49, m. 58.
Two fines of 1589 relating to lands in Croston and Mawdesley may also be referred to. In one the plaintiffs were Richard Neilson, Hugh Neilson and James Hay, and the deforciant Francis Neilston alias Neilson; and in the other the parties were William Nelson, plaintiff, and William, Thomas, George, Francis and Hugh Nelston alias Nelson; ibid. bdle. 51, m. 63, 92.
Henry Nelson of Mawdesley in 1653 desired to be allowed to compound for his sequestrated lands; Royalist Comp. Papers (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), iv, 210. Two years later Michael Nelson desired confirmation of part of his messuage and lands (two-thirds sequestered for recusancy) which he desired to sell in order to redeem himself from prison; ibid. This Michael may be the infant grandson and heir of William Nelson named in 1594; Ducatus Lanc. iii, 326.
19 Towneley MS. C 8, 13 (Chet. Lib.), 915. A recent purchase of 6 acres from Richard and Thomas Ashton was held of Richard Shireburne and Alexander Rigby as of their manor of Leyland.
Richard Nelson in 1653 petitioned the Commonwealth authorities that his title to dower lands of his mother Margaret (widow of Gilbert) might be examined. They had been sequestered for her recusancy only; Royalist Comp. Papers, iv, 211.
20 Richard Beck of Woodplumpton held land of Thomas Ashton by a rent of 18d. in 1585; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xiv, no. 46.
William Dicconson's lands in Mawdesley in 1604 were held of Thomas Ashton by 18d. rent; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 18.
Richard Waring of Heskin in 1618 held of the lord of Mawdesley; ibid. ii, 130.
Richard Crooke of Coppull in 1637 held a messuage and land in Mawdesley of Thomas Hesketh and Richard Ashton as of their manors of Mawdesley; Towneley MS. C 8, 13, p. 255.
David Sollom, who died in 1643, held lands in Mawdesley, Longton and Hutton, but the tenure is not stated. Thomas his son and heir was eight years of age; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxix, no. 73. David Sollom in 1631 paid £10 on refusing knighthood; Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 214.
William Clifton, executed in 1562 for his share in the murder of William Huyton of Blackrod, held lands in Mawdesley of Richard Ashton and James Haworth (in right of Margaret his wife); Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xi, no. 40.
The sisters of William Clifton in 1564 claimed lands called Longflatt, Cocksfield, Sudbrook ridding, &c., on the ground that they had been given to Thomas Clifton and Maud Atherton his wife, and had descended thus -s. Matthew (s.p.) - bro. Christopher -s. Matthew -s. William, whose sisters were Maud wife of Richard Nelson and Anne wife of John Wiswall; Duchy of Lanc. Plead. Eliz. lx, N. 1.
In 1533 Matthew Clifton sold to Robert Hesketh certain lands in Mawdesley, including Eglies Meadow, Risheridings, Longflatt and Kinchede; Towneley MS. GG, no. 1166.
21 Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 270.
22 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. x, no. 37.
23 Ibid. xxix, no. 49. Thomas son and heir of Henry was thirty years of age.
Thomas Finch of Mawdesley, yeoman, had two-thirds of his estate sequestered for recusancy only, and in 1653 petitioned to be allowed to contract for it; Royalist Comp. Papers, ii, 319.
Mr. Gillow, in Bibl. Dict. of Engl. Cath. (ii, 259), writes thus: 'The Finches of Mawdesley suffered very heavily in fines for their recusancy. Henry Finch, gent., his son Thomas and grandson Henry appear in the rolls during the reigns of Charles I and Charles II. . . . The ancient family residence at Mawdesley still contains the chapel and priests' hiding-places used during the times of persecution. The house is very old, and contains many mementoes of the days of persecution, including the skull of William Haydock, the monk of Whalley Abbey, executed in 1537,' as it is believed. James Finch, one of the family, was prior of a Carthusian monastery in Austria, and on its suppression retired to Fernyhalgh near Preston, where he died in 1821, 'the last of the English Carthusian monks,' according to his epitaph.
24 See Inq. p.m. of Gilbert Nelson.
25 Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 244. William Sharples paid £10 in 1631 on refusing knighthood; ibid. 214.
26 Ibid. 166. William Mawdesley also refused knighthood; ibid. 214.
27 Some examples have already been given. Thomas Rutter's house and land had been sequestered for his recusancy, but in 1651 his widow Elizabeth petitioned for the reversal of the order; she was 'ever a good Protestant,' and had five children, 'all likely to starve unless the sequestration were taken off'; Cal. Com. for Comp. iv, 2687. Robert Turner in 1649 desired to compound for his offence of assisting the king's forces 'in the first war'; ibid. iii, 1952.
28 Index of Royalists (Index Soc.), 44. He was afterwards allowed to compound, paying a fine of £19; Cal. Com. for Comp. iv, 3132. Richard Waterworth son of Hugh had desired to compound in 1649. He had been in arms for the king, and his father's estate, transferred to him, had been sequestered for recusancy; ibid. iii, 1953.
29 Estcourt and Payne, Engl. Cath. Non-jurors, 107, &c. Their names were: Hugh Ayscough, Thomas Barrett, William Eccleston, Thomas Finch of Lane End, James Finch, Thomas Fisher, Henry Fisher, Ellen widow of Thomas Harrison, John Lund (whose will has some severe remarks as to his Protestant wife), James Mawdesley, Margaret Mawdesley widow, Edward Nelson (who paid a chief rent of 13s. 4d. to Maximilian Nelson of Fairhurst), Margaret Blackburne widow (daughter of Richard Nelson), Richard Rutter, Elizabeth Rutter widow, William Swarsbrick, Anne widow of Matthew Turner and Thomas Turner their son.
In 1720 a messuage in Mawdesley, late the inheritance of Richard Nelson and afterwards of Richard Blackburne of Scorton Mill, was sold to William Stanfield; Piccope MSS. (Chet. Lib.), iii, p. 206, from R. 4 of Geo. I at Preston. The will of Richard Nelson of Mawdesley (1750), whose son and heir was named Edward, was enrolled at Preston; ibid. p. 366 from R. 27 of Geo. II.
30 Land tax returns at Preston.
31 Lancs. and Ches. Rec. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 273.
32 A district chapelry was formed for it in 1843; Lond. Gaz. 4 April. The benefice was declared a rectory in 1866; ibid. 3 April.
33 Hewitson, Our Country Churches, 243.
34 Gastrell, Notitia Cestr. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 360; the building was 'a poor thatched cottage'; the master 'must be a Protestant.'
35 The list of recusants in 1628 is printed in Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 175.


<--Previous:
Townships:
Croston