||The Census Rep. of 1901 gives 1,236
acres; there are in addition 9 acres of
tidal water and 12 of foreshore.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), i, 7.
||It occurs among the Hospitallers'
lands in 1292; Plac. de Quo Warr. (Rec.
||It will be observed that in 1625 the
manor was traditionally held of the heirs
of John de Hoole. In 1292 Margery
relict of Alan of Little Hoole was nonsuited in a claim for dower against
Thomas de Singleton and Joan his wife;
Assize R. 408, m. 29.
John son and heir of John Passavent
in 1323–4 recovered a tenement in Little
Hoole against Richard Prior and Alice
his wife, Roger Magson and Maud his
wife, William de Fishwick and Margery
his wife. The wives were sisters, each
holding a third part; ibid. 425, m. 5.
||Agnes widow of Robert de Hoole
quitclaimed to Richard le Boteler all her
dower right in her husband's tenement;
Dods. MSS. liii, fol. 95. The date is
about 1246, Matthew de Redmayne being
In 1256 Richard le Boteler claimed
half a plough-land in Little Hoole against
John de la Mare, who granted it subject
to a rent of ½ mark in addition to the
services due to the chief lords of the fee;
Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.),
Alice widow of William de Loxum released to Nicholas le Boteler in 1299 all
right to her husband's lands in Little
Hoole; Dods. MSS. liii, fol. 89. Nicholas
had placed his mother Joan in possession
of the manor; ibid. fol. 92b.
Sir Nicholas le Boteler did not prosecute a claim he made in 1356 against
William son of Robert de Radcliffe and
others; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 4, m.
9 d. Probably it was a boundary dispute.
The manor seems to have been in the
possession of Robert de Urswick and
Ellen his wife in 1378 (Final Conc. iii, 5),
but in 1401 John Boteler of Rawcliffe
and Agnes his wife granted the capital
messuage to their son Nicholas and
Margery his wife, daughter of Sir Richard
de Kirkby; Dods. MSS. cxlix, fol. 115.
Nicholas and Margery made a feoffment
of it in 1423; Final Conc. iii, 88.
In 1445–6 Nicholas and John Boteler
held a plough-land in Little Hoole for the
tenth part of a knight's fee, the relief due
being 10s.; Duchy of Lanc. Knights'
Fees, bdle. 2, no. 20.
Various references to Nicholas and his
son John occur in the plea rolls of 1442
onward; e.g. Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 5,
m. 4; 6, m. 6; 10, m. 5. In 1462
John Boteler of Rawcliffe gave to Elizabeth wife of John son of Nicholas
Boteler tenements in Little Hoole for
life; Dods. MSS. liii, fol. 83b.
||See the Hospitallers' Rental, c. 1540,
in Kuerden MSS. v, fol. 84. It is noteworthy that in 1505 James Butler is
stated to have held 'the moiety of the
manor of Great Hoole' of the Hospitallers
in socage; it was worth clear £13 per
annum; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iii,
no. 109. It is Little Hoole only in a
preceding inquisition; ibid. iii, no. 43,
45. The partition between Great and
Little Hoole was made in 1552; Dods.
MSS. liii, fol. 93b.
||John Butler died in 1534, leaving four
daughters as co-heirs; Duchy of Lanc.
Inq. p.m. vii, no. 4; viii, no. 8. The
heir male was Nicholas Butler, who died
about 1555 holding the manors of Great
and Little Hoole; ibid. x, no. 4. A
settlement was made in 1564 by Richard
the son and heir of Nicholas, Little Hoole
Manor being included; Pal. of Lanc.
Feet of F. bdle. 26, m. 253. Henry
Butler as a landowner contributed to a
subsidy in 1564; Subs. R. Lancs. bdle.
131, no. 210. The division between the
representatives of John Butler was made
in 1572, the manor of Little Hoole being
assigned to Gilbert Gerard and Anne his
wife in her right; Pal. of Lanc. Feet
of F. bdle. 33, m. 79; ibid. Plea R. 231,
m. 8. Settlements were made of the
manor of Little Hoole and tenements
there by Gilbert Gerard and Anne his
wife in 1583 and 1586; ibid. bdle. 45,
m. 74; 48, m. 205. Hoole is named in
the inquisition after Sir Gilbert's death
(1593), but the tenure is not distinctly
stated; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvi, no. 2.
||Ibid. xvii, no. 18. Anne the widow
of Sir Gilbert was in 1597 living at Little
Hoole. The manor was held by the
200th part of a knight's fee.
For the Gerard family see the accounts
of Astley and Halsall.
||Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 105,
no. 20. The sale included in addition to
the manor twenty messuages, a windmill,
cottages, gardens, &c., land, wood, heath,
moss, moor and marsh.
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), iii, 460.
Bridget widow of Thomas Edge appears
to have married Daniel Shetterton, and in
1649 Richard Edge obtained the manor
of Little Hoole from Daniel and Bridget;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 146, m. 164.
Thomas Edge was a London merchant
and his son Richard is described as 'of
Eltham, Kent'; Fishwick, Goosnargh, 152.
Walter and Augustine de Hoole
attested charters granted between 1232
and 1237; Croxteth D. The former
was of Much Hoole.
||In 1690 Thomas Edge sought two
parts of the manor of Little Hoole (into
four parts divided) against Joseph Edge
and Samuel Fellows and Bridget his wife;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 225, m. 49.
In 1695 Thomas Wade and Susan his
wife held a fourth part of the manor;
ibid. bdle. 234, m. 8. Then in 1698
James Edge claimed a fourth part against
John Pembroke and Elizabeth his wife;
ibid. bdle. 241, m. 42. Bridget, Susan
and Elizabeth were probably the daughters
of Richard Edge.
||Land tax return at Preston.
||Raines in Notitia Cestr. (Chet. Soc.),
||Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1870), ii, 122.
||Information of Mr. Wilkins.
Cockersand Chartul. (Chet. Soc.), ii,
448–57. Walter de Hoole gave the
'great land' on Aldfield, the 'long land'
in Waldmure bridge (Walmer bridge), two
'lands' on Merefield next to those which
Waltheof de Poulton gave to St. John,
another 'land' on Middlefield, and many
other parcels. John son of Ravenkil de
Hutton released to the canons the land
he held of them. Waltheof de Poulton
was also a benefactor, giving land in
Wride furlong, Rainbohs, Hamdlands,
Waldsmoor furlong, Crookland, Wet furlong and Bean furlong. William son of
Waltheof added another piece.
||The first chapel was built in 1854,
the present in 1894.
||Nightingale, Lancs. Nonconf. ii, 40.