||596, including 1 of inland water;
Census Rep. 1901.
||Subs. R. Lancs. bdle. 250, no. 9.
||See the account of Shevington. In
this way the township comes to be named
in the Hoghton inquisitions; e.g. Lancs.
Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 127.
||This is inferred from the fact that
William, as son of Gilbert, was called to
warrant Richard le Waleys in 1220;
Curia Regis R. 74, m. 22; 76, m. 21.
||Roger de Leicester, with the consent
of Alice his wife, of whose marriage portion it was, gave 4 acres in Whittle to
Cockersand Abbey, 3 being in Withinhead and 1 in the town field; Cockersand
Chartul. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 511.
Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), i, 43. Alice was then the wife
of Adam le Arbalaster, and Richard had
acquired the land by grant of her former
husband, Roger de Leicester.
The Waleys family had but a short
tenure; in a grant of land in Aughton
John le Waleys is called 'of Whittle.'
||In a plea of 1301 it was found that
Jordan de Sankey had held Welch Whittle,
and it had descended to his son Robert,
who granted to Henry de Torbock and
Ellen his wife, Robert's sister; Ellen
granddaughter of Henry was the holder
in 1301; Assize R. 418, m. 4 d.
The charter of Robert son of Jordan
de Sankey, which may be dated about
1250, is preserved in Kuerden MSS. iii,
C 36 d. He granted to Henry de Torbock the whole manor of Whittle, with
all his wood of Fulwood, and the services
of John son of Felicia, Thomas de Pierpoint and Robert de Heskin, together
with lands in Coppull. The service to be
rendered was 1d., or a pair of white gloves
yearly. Robert de Lathom, 'then sheriff,'
was the first witness.
Robert de Sankey in 1288 held Welch
Whittle of William de Ferrers by a rent
of 7s. 8d.; Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec.
Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 270. In 1292
Robert son of Roger de Sankey claimed
the manor of Welch Whittle against
Henry de Torbock and Ellen his wife, but
was non-suited; Assize R. 408, m. 55;
see also De Banco R. 145, m. 49 d. The
same Robert in 1308–9 released to Ellen
Lady of Tarbock and her heirs all claim
to the manor; Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 266b.
In 1313–14 Adam de Tunstall failed in
his claim of a messuage and land in Welch
Whittle against Ellen de Torbock and
John Page; Assize R. 424, m. 1 d.
The daughters of Sir Richard de Torbock in 1337 claimed it against Sir
Thomas de Lathom; Assize R. 1424,
m. 11 d. In 1339 Margaret and her husband Henry Russell claimed dower in the
manor of Welch Whittle against Adam
de Wetenhale, rector of Woodchurch, and
against Emma daughter of Geoffrey de
Byron; De Banco R. 318, m. 151. The
manor was included in a settlement of
the Torbock possessions in 1354; Final
Conc. ii, 139. See the account of Tarbock.
||The grants are in Kuerden fol. MS.
p. 140; and in his vol. ii, fol. 266 Henry
de Torbock for life demised all the
messuages, lands and tenements inherited
from his father in Welch Whittle,
Wrightington and Coppull to Geoffrey
de Wrightington 'for his good service,'
Geoffrey paying also a sum of money.
Sir William Carles released all actions
to Geoffrey de Wrightington in 1368;
and John Carles in 1390–1, recognizing
that Geoffrey was in possession of the
manor of Welch Whittle and lands, relinquished all his claim.
Sir Henry de Torbock in 1414 released
all his claim to the manor to Robert son
of Geoffrey de Wrightington.
||It is mentioned in Wrightington and
Thomas Wrightington died in 1544
holding the manor of Welch Whittle,
twelve messuages, a water-mill, &c., in
the same township of the Earl of Derby,
Lord Mounteagle, and Sir Richard Shireburne in socage by a rent of 7s. 10d.;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vii, no. 26.
The manor is named in a settlement by
John Wrightington in 1574; Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 36, m. 3. Also in
one by Edward Dicconson and Mary his
wife in 1723; ibid. bdle. 291, m. 126.
Some Wrightington pleas respecting
Welch Whittle are named in the Ducatus
Lanc. (Rec. Com.), i, 125, &c., in the
reigns of Henry VII and VIII. John
son of Thomas Wrightington in 1543
leased the Blackfields, Holms and Carrditch crofts to Thomas Johnson son of
John Nicholson of Charnock; Kuerden
MSS. iii, W 29, no. 3.
||Henry son of Benedict about 1270
gave an acre in Whittle lying between
Black Hate Brook and Cold Hill to the
hospital of Jerusalem; a rent of 6d. was
to be paid; Agecroft D. 352. The
estate is named among the Hospitallers'
lands in 1292; Plac. de Quo Warr. (Rec.
Com.), 375. The rental compiled about
1540 shows that Thomas Wrightington
held a messuage at a rent of 12d. and
Thomas Gorsuch another, paying 18d.;
Kuerden MSS. v, fol. 84.
||William de Sutton in 1312–13 released to Ellen de Torbock the mill and
pool of Whittle; Kuerden MSS. iii,
W 26b. Thomas de Sutton contributed
to the subsidy of 1332; Exch. Lay
Subs. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 53.
These may have been ancestors of the
Suttons, afterwards of Gorsuch in Scarisbrick, and then of the Gorsuch family.
Gilbert Sutton, who died about 1517,
held land of the Hospitallers by a rent of
12d.; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. v,
no. 67 (Lancs. Tenures MS.). James
Gorsuch in 1601 made a settlement of
his manor and lands, including some in
Welch Whittle, Coppull, &c.; Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 63, no. 94. See
also Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxix,
no. 58. There is a description of the Gorsuch tenement, which lay near Whittle
Moss, in S. P. Dom. Interreg. G. 58 A,
fol. 526; the lease to the occupier
excepted 'all timber trees of oak or ash,
all mines, quarries, and pits of coal,
cannel, stone, slate, or any metal.'
The Pierpoints occur also in Shevington. Thomas de Pierpoint in 1380–1
demised a capital messuage and land
called the Wynhalgh, in Welch Whittle,
to Geoffrey Almery of Wrightington for
a term; Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 266b,
||In Pal. of Lanc. Sessional Papers,
temp. Henry VIII, is a list of the lands of
James Halsall at his death, beginning
with the hall of Welch Whittle, with
lands there, and in Shevington, Coppull,
&c. This was the result of a partition
in 1455–6 between John and Thomas
Halsall; Kuerden MSS. iii, W 28, no. 7.
James Halsall's lands were forfeited for
felonies and murders; Thomas Wrightington managed to obtain possession, but
the sheriff afterwards took them; Duchy
of Lanc. Plead. Hen. VII, ii, W 19.
||See the account of Charnock Richard,
and Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdles. 43,
m. 136; 44, m. 219.
||Land tax returns at Preston.