Townships
Duxbury

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)

Year published

1911

Pages

208-213

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Townships: Duxbury', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 6 (1911), pp. 208-213. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53099 Date accessed: 01 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

DUXBURY

Dukesbiri, 1227; Dokysbiri, Dockesbyry, 1292.

This township has an area of 1,012 acres. (fn. 1) It is crossed by the River Yarrow, flowing to the southwest; turning sharply to the north-west the river then forms part of the township boundary. The portion within the bend of the river contains the district of Burgh. The southern boundary of the main portion of the township is the Ellerbeck, flowing west to the Yarrow and dividing Duxbury from Adlington and Coppull. From the Yarrow the surface. rises somewhat steeply, attaining a height of 325 ft. There is no village or hamlet in the township, about a third of the area being occupied by the parks of Duxbury Hall and Ellerbeck. The population in 1901 was 282.

The road from Wigan to Chorley goes north, passing along the eastern side of Duxbury Park and joining the road from Bolton to Chorley, which crosses the north-eastern end of the township. A mineral railway line, serving the collieries, runs eastward to join the Preston and Bolton line.

There were fifty-five hearths to contribute to the tax in 1666, the only large houses being the Hall, with nineteen hearths, and the Burgh with nine. (fn. 2)

Manor

The manor of DUXBURY was a member of the fee of Penwortham and the whole or a part of it was included in the five plough-lands granted by Warine Bussell to Randle son of Roger de Marsey about 1150, (fn. 3) and in 1288 was held in thirds by Adam de Duxbury, Roger de Bolton and Ellis de Tonge, each paying William de Ferrers a rent of 14d. (fn. 4) In 1227 Roger de Bolton, acting in concert with Ellis de Tonge, had granted to Siward de Duxbury one plough-land there at a yearly rent of 6s. 4d., out of which Roger agreed to pay 3s. 4d. due to the chief lords. (fn. 5) Siward was probably lord of the other third of the manor, so that he thereby acquired the whole.

Adam de Duxbury in 1246 joined in the demand of the lords of Standish, Duxbury and Adlington that William de Ferrers, who had inherited the Marsey estates, should acquit them of the services claimed by the guardians of the Earl of Lincoln's lands. (fn. 6) Perhaps it was another Adam, who, as above stated, was in possession in 1288, and who was succeeded by a son Henry. (fn. 7) Henry son of Henry de Duxbury was lord of the place about 1300, (fn. 8) but seems to have parted with his rights to Hugh de Standish, of the household of Robert de Holand, one of the Earl of Lancaster's principal officials. Henry de Duxbury had taken part in Adam Banastre's rising in 1315 and suffered imprisonment in consequence, becoming indebted to Standish under stress of these circumstances. (fn. 9)

In this way—though the story is not clear—the manor appears to have been acquired by the Standish family, (fn. 10) whose descendants continued to hold it until about twenty years ago. Jordan, lord of the adjacent Standish, is said to have had a brother Hugh, who must have died about 1280, (fn. 11) and the Hugh de Standish of Duxbury seems to have been the son of Robert de Haydock, rector of Standish in the last decade of the 13th century. (fn. 12) In 1300 Hugh acquired a share of the manor of Heapey, (fn. 13) and various other manors and lands increased the family's estates from time to time. Hugh de Standish (fn. 14) was succeeded by a son William, (fn. 15) whose brother Richard followed (fn. 16) ; and Hugh, the son of Richard, was in possession of the manor in the time of Edward III and Richard II. (fn. 17) He is, perhaps, the Hugh de Standish whose will of 1421 is preserved by Kuerden, his son Christopher being a supervisor. (fn. 18) In 1396 a feoffment was made to Christopher son of Hugh de Standish and Margaret his wife, daughter of Sir Thomas Fleming. (fn. 19)

Christopher seems to have been succeeded by a son James, living in 1437, (fn. 20) whose son or grandson was probably the Sir Christopher Standish (fn. 21) who died in September 1495, leaving a son and heir Thomas, only fifteen years of age. The Duxbury estate is not mentioned in the inquisition after his death. (fn. 22) Thomas Standish died in 1517 holding the manors of Duxbury, Bradley and Heapey, and various lands. The manor of Duxbury was held of the fee of Penwortham in socage. James, the son and heir, was sixteen years of age. (fn. 23) James Standish recorded a pedigree in 1533, his son Thomas being named, (fn. 24) and in 1564 he made a settlement of his manor of Duxbury and various lands. He died within a few years, (fn. 25) for in 1570 Thomas Standish was in possession. The manor-house at that time seems to have been known as the Peel. (fn. 26) He also made a settlement of the manor, &c., in 1581 and died in 1599, leaving a son and heir Alexander, twenty-nine years of age. (fn. 27) The manor was stated to be held of the queen, as of the late priory of St. John of Jerusalem, in socage by a rent of 12d. (fn. 28)

Alexander Standish appears to have had the family manors granted to him as early as 1583. (fn. 29) He died in 1622, leaving a son Thomas, twenty-nine years of age. (fn. 30) The family had become Protestant, and Thomas Standish was a zealous Parliamentarian, representing Preston from 1640 till his death in October 1642. (fn. 31) His eldest son, however, espoused the king's side and was killed in September 1642 while taking part in the attack on Manchester. (fn. 32) The elder Thomas was eventually succeeded by a younger son Richard, (fn. 33) whose son and heir Richard Standish was created a baronet in 1677. (fn. 34) Sir Richard was followed by his son, grandson and great-grandson—Thomas, (fn. 35) Thomas (fn. 36) and Frank—but on the death of the lastnamed in 1812 without issue (fn. 37) the manor and other estates went to a distant cousin, Frank Hall, who assumed the name of Standish and died in 1840 without issue. (fn. 38) He was succeeded by a second cousin, William Standish Carr, who assumed Standish (fn. 39) as a surname, and dying in 1856 was followed by his son William. On the latter's death in 1878 the inheritance passed to his three sisters, and in 1891–8 the manor of Duxbury and the estates were sold by the trustees. (fn. 40) Mr. Perceval Sumner Mayhew is the present owner of the hall and estate and lord of the manor, and resides there. (fn. 41)


Standish. Sable three standing dishes argent.

DUXBURY HALL stands in a well-wooded park about the middle of the township, 1½ miles to the south of Chorley, and externally is a plain modernlooking house of two stories faced with hard mill stone grit ashlar in large blocks, and having a Doric portico on its east or entrance front. The building, however, dates back to the 17th century, and in the cellars the work of that period is still to be seen, some of the doorways, mullioned windows and fourcentred arched fireplace openings still remaining below the present ground level. So much alteration has taken place, however, in modern times, and also apparently in the 18th century, that the plan of the 17th-century house cannot be well determined, but the evidence of the work still existing in the basement seems to indicate a brick building with stone dressings erected probably on three sides of a courtyard which was open on the west. The site is close to the River Yarrow, here a small stream flowing past the house in a southerly direction on the west side in a wooded ravine, but is probably not that of the mediaeval house, no vestige of which remains. (fn. 42) The building preserves to some extent what was probably its original disposition round a centre courtyard, having an east front 80 ft. in length and north and south wings extending westward 90 ft. and 97 ft. 6 in. respectively. There appears, however, to have been a remodelling of the house, if not more than one, before the exterior was faced with ashlar about 1828, (fn. 43) though it is possible that the handsome circular cantilever stone staircase, which is 23 ft. 6 in. in diameter, may date from the same period. It has the appearance, however, of being 18th-century work, and probably occupies the greater part of the original courtyard. The external walls of the house are 3 ft. thick, the gritstone facing probably hiding a good deal of 17th-century brickwork. The windows are all modern sashes, and the roofs, which are low pitched behind stone parapets, are covered with green slates. The south front faces on to a flower garden and from the east there are fine views of the Anglezarke moors. The kitchen and offices are in the north-west wing. A stone panel preserved in the entrance hall bears the Standish arms and the date 1623. The north wing was partly destroyed by fire and the rest of the building much damaged on 2 March 1859, but was rebuilt in 1861. To the west of the house is a fine barn about 100 ft. long by 28 ft. wide externally, built round six pairs of crooks, resting on stone bases. The walls are of brick except on the east side, which is faced in stone, and the roof is covered with stone slates.

Captain Miles Standish, one of the early Puritan settlers in New England, is supposed to have been of the family of Standish of Duxbury. (fn. 44)

Though the principal Duxbury family lost its holding to the Standishes, another family (fn. 45) using the local surname, perhaps a branch of the former, continued to hold an estate in the township (fn. 46) until the 16th century, when it was sold to the Standishes of Standish. (fn. 47)

The estate is probably that now known as Ellerbeck. This was owned a century ago by John Hodson of North Hall, Worthington, who represented Wigan as a Tory from 1802 to 1820, his son, James Alexander Hodson, being member from 1820 to 1831. (fn. 48) Ellerbeck went to the representative of the father's sister, Jane, who had married Richard Cardwell of Blackburn. (fn. 49) Her younger son Edward, principal of St. Alban Hall, Oxford, was a Church historian (fn. 50) ; a grandson, Edward, son of John Cardwell, attained a distinguished position in the State, having among other offices held that of Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster 1861 to 1864, and being raised to the peerage in 1874 as Viscount Cardwell of Ellerbeck. (fn. 51) He died in 1886, and his trustees are the owners of this estate and of others in the surrounding townships.


Cardwell, Viscount Cardwell. Argent a cheveron sable, in base a maiden's head erased proper crowned or on a chief of the second two like maidens' heads.

BURGH was the seat of a family of that name, of whom there are many notices in the records. (fn. 52) In 1423, after the death of Robert Burgh, a partition was made between his three daughters—Ellen, who married Ralph Molyneux, Margaret wife of James Standish of Arley, and another, who had married Richard Ashton. (fn. 53) The descent of these fragments cannot be traced clearly. (fn. 54) The Standish of Arley holding appears to have been sold in part to the Standishes of Standish, (fn. 55) and in part to have been acquired by a branch of the Rigby family. (fn. 56) Edward Rigby of Burgh was a freeholder and a justice of the peace in 1600, (fn. 57) and Alexander Rigby of the same was one of the principal landowners in Duxbury in 1628. (fn. 58) This family took the king's side in the Civil War, and Alexander Rigby's estate was sequestered by the Parliament. (fn. 59) Afterwards the chief residence of the family was at Layton, near Blackpool. His eldest son, Edward, is thought to have been killed in a Royalist attack on Bolton in 1643, (fn. 60) and Edward's son Alexander was a cornet under Sir Thomas Tyldesley in 1651. (fn. 61) His son, another Alexander, acquired a considerable fortune by marriage and trade, and was high sheriff in 1690–1. (fn. 62) He was made a knight in 1696. (fn. 63) One of his ships trading from Leghorn in 1696 attacked a French vessel and captured it, and the Grand Duke of Tuscany appears to have regarded this as an act of piracy—though England and France were at war— and put the captain in prison, only releasing him for a heavy fine. This seems to have brought about the ruin of the Rigby family, and Sir Alexander was a prisoner in the Fleet in 1713. (fn. 64) Two years later an Act of Parliament was passed authorizing the sale of the estates. (fn. 65)

The family of Standish of Burgh recorded a pedigree in 1613. (fn. 66) They were probably descendants of the Standishes of Shevington and were recusants. (fn. 67)

Burgh about 1720 came into the possession of the Craggs and Chadwicks (fn. 68) and was in 1824 sold to James Anderton. (fn. 69) John Thom of Birkacre in Coppull purchased Burgh Hall from Mr. Anderton, and on his death in 1891 was succeeded by his son Colonel William J. Thom, the present owner.

The landowners of Duxbury with Adlington who contributed to the subsidy of 1564 were James Standish, John Adlington, Lawrence Worthington, John Aughton and Reynold Gibson. (fn. 70) Among the local families occurring in the charters and other records are those of Anglezarke, (fn. 71) Brandwood (fn. 72) and Lowe. (fn. 73) The chief landowners in 1788 were Sir Frank Standish and Edward Chadwick. (fn. 74)

Footnotes

1 1,011, including 20 of inland water; Census Rep. 1901.
2 Subs. R. Lancs. bdle. 250, no. 9.
3 Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 29.
4 Ibid. 270. Bolton and Tonge were part of the Marsey fee. The lord of Penwortham had an ancient rent of 3s. from Adlington and Duxbury; De Lacy Inq. (Chet. Soc.), 22; Compoti (Chet. Soc.), 10, 97.
5 Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 52. Siward de Duxbury was living in 1202; ibid. i, 18. He and Hugh his brother made a grant of Burgh, as will be seen below.
Siward son of Magnei de Duxbury granted 2 oxgangs of land in Duxbury to Robert son of Ulf de Duxbury to be held by a rent of 10d.; Standish of Standish D. (Mrs. Tempest's abstract), no. 1. Jordan (de Standish) granted land in Standish to Roger son of Henry son of Ulf de Duxbury; Kuerden fol. MS. no. 67.
6 Assize R. 404, m. 14 d.
7 Kuerden MSS. v, fol. 127.
8 Margaret daughter of Hugh de Morleys in 1301 claimed a tenement in the vill against Henry son of Henry de Duxbury and Henry the Turner; Roger de Ridings of Duxbury in 1304 made a claim for common of pasture against Henry the lord of Duxbury and William Spilot; Assize R. 1321, m. 11; 418, m. 12 d.; 419, m. 3.
Henry son of Henry de Duxbury, lord of the same, granted to Ralph son of William Gogard land in Duxbury for the rent of a barbed arrow; Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 245, no. 1004.
9 Henry de Duxbury, imprisoned at Lancaster but allowed to go about the town, granted to Hugh de Standish a rent of 5 marks to be taken from his tenements in Duxbury and Chorley, Hugh undertaking to aid in his delivery; Assize R. 425, m. 6. After the fall of Thomas Earl of Lancaster the rent was refused, the defendants in the above case being Henry de Duxbury, Agnes his wife, Adam son of Henry, Ellen his wife, John son of Richard de Worthington and Henry son of John de Vescy.
William son of Hugh de Standish in 1331 claimed the rent against Adam son of Henry de Duxbury and Adam Trigge and Agnes his wife; De Banco R. 286, m. 272.
It is noteworthy that Hugh de Standish in 1315 summoned Nicholas de Bolton and Margery his wife to warrant him in the possession of lands in Duxbury; De Banco R. 211, m. 171 d.
10 A number of short notes of Standish of Duxbury deeds are preserved in Kuerden's MSS. ii, fol. 144, &c.; v, fol. 145; vi, fol. 96. They do not show clearly how the manor came to the family, except that one of them states that Adam son of Henry de Duxbury in 1335 gave Richard son of Hugh de Standish his manor of Duxbury; vi, fol. 94b, no. 41.
At Michaelmas 1354 Agnes daughter of Agnes de Duxbury alleged that her manor of Duxbury was taken from her by Richard de Standish, Henry son of Adam de Duxbury and Simon de Langtree. The jurors found that one Henry de Duxbury had held the manor and twothirds of the mill. After his death Adam as son and heir entered and gave dower to Agnes widow of his father. Later he gave the remainder to his daughter Agnes while under age, together with the reversion of the elder Agnes's dower, but the younger Agnes was never in seisin. This Adam enfeoffed the defendant Henry son of Adam of the same on his marriage with Agatha daughter of Richard de Standish, and Agnes the widow, living in 1354, exchanged her third part for tenements in Heapey given by William brother of Richard de Standish. As William died without issue, his brother Richard entered on that third part as heir; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 3, m. 1.
In 1350 it appears that Agnes daughter of Adam son of Henry de Duxbury had released her manor of Duxbury to Richard de Standish; Kuerden MSS. v, fol. 145b.
Henry son of Adam de Duxbury in 1357 recovered two-thirds of the manor against Clemency widow of Richard de Standish, Hugh son of Richard son of Hugh de Standish, and Simon de Langtree; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 6, m. 8 d.
In spite of these pleas it would appear that the Standishes were lords of the manor, for in 1346 Roger de Lewed and Margery his wife, in the latter's right, demanded against Richard son of Hugh de Standish three messuages, a plough-land and two parts of a mill in Duxbury; De Banco R. 348, m. 404; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 1, m. 3. In another suit Richard de Standish was called to warrant the tenant in possession; ibid. 2, m. 3 d.
In 1359 Henry son of Adam de Duxbury sold to Nicholas le Norreys the reversion of a messuage and land held by Ellen widow of Robert del Burgh for her life; Final Conc. ii, 161. Robert son of Nicholas le Norreys in 1384 sold the reversion to Hugh de Standish the elder; ibid. iii, 19. This was probably the close of a long transaction, for in 1381–4 Robert son of Nicholas le Norreys gave and released to Hugh de Standish twothirds of the manor of Duxbury; Kuerden MSS. v, fol. 145.
The mill above mentioned still exists and is working.
11 See the account of Standish.
12 Among Kuerden's abstracts are several referring to Hugh son of Robert de Haydock, rector of Standish, and the identity of Hugh de Haydock and Hugh de Standish appears to be established by grants from Robert son of William de Worthington to Hugh de Haydock in 1299, by Hugh de Haydock to William son of William de Worthington and Mabel his wife in the same year, and by William son of William de Worthington to Hugh de Standish of 'what he held of him' in 1304; Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 145b.
Alice daughter of Richard de Molyneux of Sefton was in 1306 contracted in marriage to Hugh de Standish, she being under age; Croxteth D. Genl. i, 5. The lands assigned to her were in 1334 released by her son Richard de Standish; ibid. X, i, 6. William son of Hugh de Standish was a plaintiff regarding the same in 1332; De Banco R. 291, m. 185.
13 Final Conc. i, 191.
14 Some of the steps in the descent are proved from the pleadings cited in a foregoing note.
In 1321 Hugh de Standish acquired the moiety of a messuage and land in Duxbury from Adam the Wright of Wigan and Cecily his wife; Final Conc. ii, 42.
15 In 1326 Margaret widow of Hugh de Standish claimed dower in lands in Duxbury and Standish held by William son of Hugh de Standish; De Banco R. 264, m. 49 d. Hugh therefore had been married more than once.
William de Standish and William de Burgh in 1333 granted land in Duxbury to Henry Knoute; Standish D. (Local Glean. ii), no. 23.
16 Richard son of Hugh de Standish in 1335 made a grant of lands received from William his brother; Standish D. (Local Glean. ii), no. 25.
In 1350 Richard de Standish appears to have made a settlement of his manors of Heapey and Duxbury, with lands in Worthington, Heath Charnock and Hindley; Kuerden MSS. v, fol. 145b, no. 55.
17 Hugh is first mentioned in grants of land in Standish and Langtree made him by his father Richard in 1343 and 1346; ibid. no. 83, 84. He appears to have been in possession by 1356; see several abstracts in Kuerden MSS. v, fol. 145. He is described as 'the elder' in 1384.
In 1378 Hugh de Standish received licence for his oratories at Duxbury and Bradley; Lich. Epis. Reg. v, fol. 31b.
In 1416 Hugh de Standish the elder was exempted from service on juries, &c.; Kuerden, loc. cit. At the same time a Hugh de Standish, perhaps 'the younger,' was serving with the armies in France; Dep. Keeper's Rep. xliv, App. 558.
18 Kuerden MSS. v, fol. 145, no. 98. In 1412 Sir Alan Pennington released to Elizabeth wife of Hugh Standish for her life certain lands in Pennington, &c.; and in 1432 Sir John Pennington, next of kin and heir of Elizabeth (viz. son of her son Alan), held the manor of North Givendale in Yorkshire; Dods. MSS. cxxxvi, fol. 95b, 123b.
19 Ibid. fol. 95.
20 Christopher Standish and his sons Ralph and Rowland attested Chorley deeds in 1418; Add. MS. 32105, no. 557, 568, 548.
Rowland Standish, according to the 1613 pedigree, served in the French wars, was made a knight, and slain about 1435, in the company of the Earl of Arundel. He was a brother of James Standish of Duxbury (1442), and gave a relic of St. Lawrence to Chorley Church.
James Standish of Duxbury occurs in 1441; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 3, m. 12b.
James Standish, perhaps the same, attested a grant in 1458; Standish D. (Local Glean.), no. 145. He also occurs in 1462; Pal. of Lanc. Writs Proton.
21 James Standish of Duxbury in 1468 gave certain lands in Standish, Worthington and Langtree to trustees, who regranted them to James's son Christopher and Elizabeth daughter of William Bradshagh of Haigh; Kuerden MSS. vi, fol. 97, no. 98, 99. For marriage dispensation see Lich. Epis. Reg. xii, fol. 148b. Christopher son and heir of James Standish occurs in 1471; Kuerden, loc. cit. no. 101.
In 1473 Margaret widow of James Standish of Duxbury, esq., and wife of Richard Birkhead, claimed that Bradley in Standish should be settled on Hugh Standish, her son and heir by her former husband; Pal. of Lanc. Chan. Rec. Answers, i.
There appear to have been two Jameses, for Alice widow of James Standish of Duxbury in 1483–4 made a grant to Sir Christopher, her son; deed on visit. pedigree, 1613. Alice was still living in 1518. Sir Christopher was made a knight in the Scottish expedition of 1482; Metcalfe's Book of Knights, 7.
22 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iii, no. 107.
Thomas son and heir of Sir Christopher Standish was in 1497–8 engaged to marry Katherine daughter of Sir Alexander Standish; Standish D. (Local Glean.), no. 181, 184.
In 1506 Thomas Standish made a settlement of his manors of Duxbury and Heapey and various lands; Final Conc. iii, 162.
23 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. v, no. 11; in the inquisition are recited provisions made for Thomas's mother Alice, wife Katherine, daughter Alice and son James, on marriage with a daughter of Vane Haydock.
24 Visit. of 1533 (Chet. Soc.), 52. In 1531 Lawrence son and heir of James Standish of Duxbury was espoused to Elizabeth daughter of Sir Richard Hoghton; Dods. MSS. cxlii, fol. 44. He must have died before 1533.
In 1521 it was complained that James Standish in the common way at Duxbury between Wigan and Preston, viz. at Yarrow Bridge, levied a toll of 2d. for every twenty oxen or every twenty sheep there driven, by what right was unknown; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. v, no. 6.
25 A pedigree was recorded in 1567; Visit. (Chet. Soc.), 90.
26 Thomas Standish of the Peel in 1508 demised to Matthew Standish a close called Peelford in Duxbury for a term of seven years; Standish D. (Mrs. Tempest's abstract), no. 195. See also Add. MS. 32106, no. 844, 1329; Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 244.
27 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvii, no. 54; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 43, m. 35. The will of Thomas Standish, made in 1593 and proved in 1600, is in Piccope MSS. (Chet. Lib.), ix, 295.
28 This agrees with the Hospitallers' rental, made about 1540, where James Standish is stated to hold a messuage in Duxbury by a rent of 12b.; Kuerden MSS. v, fol. 83b. The inq. p.m. is probably defective, the Hospitallers' lands having become merged in the manor.
29 Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 45, m. 15. A pedigree was recorded in 1613; Visit. (Chet. Soc.), 70.
30 Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), iii, 397. His will was proved in 1622; to his 'grandchild little Thomas Standish' he left 'two of the best pieces of plate, viz. a crystal cup and his best salt.' The will of Captain Ralph Standish, younger son of Alexander, is printed in Piccope's Wills (Chet. Soc.), ii, 141.
31 Pink and Beaven, Parl. Repre. of Lancs. 151, 152. He was buried at Chorley 29 Oct. 1642.
A settlement of the manors of Duxbury, Heapey, &c., was made by Thomas Standish in 1623; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 104, no. 10.
32 'Captain Standish, a captain of the trained band of Leyland Hundred, eldest son to Mr. Standish of Duxbury (who was then a burgess in the Parliament for the town of Preston), quartered in a house upon the north side of Salford, well up towards the chapel, washing his hands in the morning at the door, was by a bullet shot from the top of Manchester steeple slain'; War in Lancs. (Chet. Soc.), 7; Civil War Tracts (Chet. Soc.), 46, 55. He was buried at Chorley 30 Sept. Administration of his estate was in 1642 granted to his brother Alexander and Edward Farnworth.
33 The details in the text are taken mainly from a pedigree in the Piccope MS. Ped. (Chet. Lib.), i, 167; see also Burke's Commoners, iv, 642.
Alexander Standish succeeded his father Thomas, and died in or before 1648, when administration was granted.
Richard Standish was a colonel in the Parliamentary army; Civil War Tracts, 252; Cal. Com. for Comp. i, 392, where there is a curious story of him. His will, made in 1657 (codicil 1662) and proved at York, recites the settlement of Duxbury and his other manors in favour of his eldest son Richard, &c. The fine of 1655 probably relates to this settlement; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 155, m. 165.
34 Sir Richard Standish, as a Whig, represented Wigan in the first Parliament of William III, 1690, till his death in 1693; Pink and Beaven, op. cit. 230.
35 Sir Thomas Standish was high sheriff in 1711; P.R.O. List, 74. He made a settlement of his manors in 1700; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 244, m. 50; and again in 1730 in conjunction with Thomas his son; ibid. bdle. 306, m. 77. He was buried at Chorley 26 Mar. 1746; administration was granted to his son, the second Sir Thomas, in the same year. The former Thomas left among other issue a daughter Margaret, who died in 1776, leaving by her second husband, Anthony Hall of Flass (see Surtees, Durham, iv, 154), a son Anthony and a daughter Anne. Anthony was the father of another Anthony, whose son Frank Hall succeeded to Standish 1812–40. Anne married the Rev. Ralph Carr, rector of Alderley in Cheshire, and her son Ralph Carr of Cocken Hall, Durham, was father of the William Standish Carr who was the next lord of Duxbury.
36 The settlement on the marriage of Thomas, son and heir-apparent of Sir Thomas Standish, with Katherine Smith, widow, was made in 1739. The younger Sir Thomas died in 1756; M.I. in Chorley Church.
37 Sir Frank Standish represented Preston as a Tory in 1768–74; Pink and Beaven, op. cit. 165. He was high sheriff of the county in 1782; P.R.O. List, 74.
After the death of Sir Frank, with whom the baronetcy expired, a collier named Thomas Standish made a claim to the estate and took forcible possession of the hall, which he barricaded against attack. For a long time disorderly scenes took place in the house and park, but at last the claimant was arrested and imprisoned; Lancs. and Ches. Antiq. Notes, ii, 197.
38 He lived chiefly at Seville and was unmarried. Piqued at the English ministry's refusal to revive the baronetcy, he gave his collection of pictures and works of art to Louis Philippe for France, and it was for a time in the Standish gallery in the Louvre.
After the revolution of 1848 Louis Philippe claimed it as his private property and the whole was sold in 1852–3, the drawings, &c., in Paris and the pictures in London. F. H. Standish published Timon, a poem, in 1833, and a book on Seville in 1840. See Dict. Nat. Biog.; C. W. Sutton in Cborley Lib. J. 1900.
39 He was high sheriff in 1845–6.
40 The contents of the mansion had been sold in 1881; Pal. Note-book, i, 147.
On the occasion of the sales in 1891 there was a second 'siege of Duxbury,' a claimant appearing professing to be son and heir of Frank Hall Standish who died in 1840. He was quickly ejected.
The sisters of the last William Standish were Emma Isabella Harriet, who married Sir J. G. T. Sinclair, bart., Susan Amelia Georgina, who married Charles William Paulet, and Margaret Laura Mulgrave, who married Edmund Berkeley Lucy. These or their representatives are still landowners in the district.
41 This and much other information about the township is due to Mr. Walter Mayhew of Duxbury Hall. See Burke's Landed Gentry and Fox-Davies' Armorial Families.
42 The site of the former house may have been nearer the stream close to the mill; Manch. City News N. and Q. v, 62.
43 Twycross, Mansions of Engl. and Wales (Lancs. i, 45), where two views of the house are given.
44 He died about 1649. He is still famous in New England, where his memory is preserved by Longfellow's 'Courtship of Miles Standish.' The story that he was the true heir of Duxbury was in print shortly after his death; Lancs. and Ches. Hist. and Gen. Notes, ii, 30.
45 Robert son of Uctred de Duxbury granted to Hugh son of Adam de Dirley land held of the Hospitallers by a charter probably lated about 1260; Kuerden MSS. iii, E 4.
John son of Robert de Duxbury gave land called Littlehead to his brother William; the bounds touched Charnock; Standish D. (Mrs. Tempest's abstract), no. 3. Among the witnesses were Adam de Duxbury and Ralph de Standish.
A Richard son of Hugh de Duxbury was defendant in a plea regarding land in 1331; De Banco R. 325, m. 288 d. The plaintiffs were Adam son of Roger de Dinkedley and Joan his wife, in respect of the latter's dower.
A year later Edmund son of Roger Baret claimed three messuages, 30 acres of land, &c., in Duxbury against Robert de Prescot and Richard son of Hugh Dawmogh of Duxbury, who had entry by Robert; Assize R. 1435, m. 48 d.
Thomas son of Richard son of Hugh de Duxbury occurs in 1386; Final Conc. iii, 27.
46 John de Duxbury occurs in 1429; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 2, m. 7.
Ughtred de Duxbury, gent., and various others, including John son of Ughtred de Duxbury and Robert son of John de Duxbury, were in 1445 accused of breaking the close of Henry de Broadhurst at Anglezarke; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 7, m. 6b; 12, m. 10. A contemporary rental of Ughtred de Duxbury has been preserved, giving the names of five tenants who together paid 86s. rent and rendered fourteen days' 'shearing' and eleven capons; Standish D. (Mrs. Tempest's abstract), no. 144. Provision was in 1448–9 made for the marriage of Richard son of Ughtred de Duxbury with Elizabeth daughter of Adam de Fairclough; Kuerden MSS. iii, C 7.
In 1513 Ughtred Duxbury gave his lands in Duxbury, Chorley, Adlington, Holland, &c., to his uncles Matthew and Humphrey Standish as trustees; Standish D. (Local Glean.), no. 120, 123.
47 Thomas son and heir of Ughtred Duxbury in 1520 sold Alddall and other lands in Duxbury to Ralph Standish of Standish; ibid. no. 248, 252, 254. Two years later he sold Highfield to the same, and in 1524 he sold him Duxbury Hall and various lands; ibid. no. 259, 271–3, 277, 283; see also no. 353.
Ralph Standish's lands in Duxbury were in 1539 found to be held of James Standish by a rent of 8d.; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. viii, no. 21. In 1610 a rent of 20d. was due from Edward Standish to the lord of Duxbury; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 190.
'Awdo' is in Ellerbeck Park.
48 Pink and Beaven, Parl. Repre. of Lancs. 237–9. There is a memorial tablet in Standish Church recording the death of John Hodson of Ellerbeck on 11 Mar. 1828; it was erected by 'Richard Cardwell, clerk, the nephew to whom he devised his estates.'
49 Abram, Blackburn, 391.
50 See Dict. Nat. Biog.
51 His great achievement was his reform of the army system while he was Secretary of State for War, 1868–74. See Dict. Nat. Biog.; G.E.C. Complete Peerage, ii, 144. He resided at Nightingale House in Heath Charnock.
52 Siward de Duxbury and Hugh his brother granted one Ralph de Standish a part of their land in Duxbury called Burgh, the bounds beginning at the south at the ditch of Burgh, going north to Wrmstalls, eastward to Greenlache head, and so by Abram's assart and the road to the mill to the hill of Pendenton by Yarrow, thence west by Arestan and Lumsholvi head (between the Hurst and the Carr) to the starting-point. A rent of 2s. was to be paid; Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 245, no. 1007. Among the witnesses were Ralph de Standish and Richard son of Ralph de Standish.
Later Adam de Duxbury granted to Henry de Worthington a moiety of the land called Burgh occupied by John de Burgh and Ellen; and Henry son of Adam de Duxbury released to Henry de Burgh son of William de Worthington a tenement in Duxbury; Kuerden MSS. v, fol. 127.
In 1292 Robert de Burgh complained that a right of way in Duxbury was obstructed by John de Blackburnshire, Avice his wife, William son of Cecily de Duxbury, Mabel his wife, John de Anglezarke and Alice his wife; but Mabel was dead. She had held the way in common with Avice, Cecily and Alice; Assize R. 408, m. 31 d.
Henry de Burgh in 1310 made a settlement of his estate in Chorley and Duxbury, the remainder being to his son William and his issue by Joan his wife; Final Conc. ii, 4. From a charter preserved by Kuerden (loc. sup. cit.) it appears that Joan was a daughter of William de Standish. William de Standish and William de Burgh—apparently lords of the place— confirmed to Henry Knoute an 'astrum' and common of pasture in Duxbury by a charter dated at Duxbury in 1333; Standish D. (Local Glean.), no. 23; see also no. 25. Roger the Lewed and Margery his wife in 1346 claimed 10 acres in Duxbury against Joan widow of William de Burgh and Henry his son; De Banco R. 346, m. 264 d. Anabel del Carr in 1349 granted lands in Duxbury and Adlington to Henry de Burgh; Kuerden MS. ii, fol. 245b, no. 1340.
Henry son of William de Burgh was defendant in some other pleas about the same time; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 1, m. 3, vj, iij d.; R. 3, m. v d.
At Whitsuntide 1352 Ellen widow of Robert son of Robert de Burgh did not prosecute a claim against Richard son of Hugh de Standish; ibid. 2, m. j d.; 6, m. 4 d.
Robert de Burgh in 1398 secured permission from John de Coppull to make an attachment and pond for his mill on the Yarrow; Standish D. (Mrs. Tempest's abstract), no. 114. Robert son of Henry de Burgh occurs in 1402–3 in connexion with Chorley; Kuerden MSS. v, fol. 122.
53 Standish D. (Local Glean.), no. 115.
54 Ralph Molyneux and Ellen his wife in 1447 made a settlement of a messuage and lands in Duxbury, Chorley and Coppull, with the third part of two mills, &c.; Final Conc. iii, 113. This Ralph was of the Molyneux of Hawkley family; Visit. 1567 (Chet. Soc.), 108. In 1557 Thomas and John Molyneux were concerned in the estate; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 18, m. 28. Soon afterwards it was acquired by Alexander Rigby, as will be seen below.
Richard Ashton and Margaret his wife made a settlement of their share of the estate in 1449, the remainder being to William their son; Final Conc. iii, 115. These were the Ashtons of Bamfurlong, near Wigan; see Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), i, 248; Pal. of Lanc. Writs Proton. 6 Edw. VI.
One of the Burgh subdivisions is perhaps the estate held in 1550 by Robert Legh, Isabel his wife and John their son and heir-apparent; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 14, m. 297. The son may be the John Legh who in 1571 made a settlement of his estate in Westhoughton, Duxbury, Chorley and Hindley in conjunction with his son Robert and Anne wife of Robert; ibid. bdle. 33, m. 49.
55 The Arley estate (see Blackrod) seems to have come to Alexander Standish of Standish by virtue of a grant made by James Standish of Arley in 1513; Standish D. (Local Glean.), no. 218, 281. Edward Standish, who died in 1610, held a capital messuage called the Burgh, with land and wood, but it seems to have been partly in Chorley; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 186.
56 The Rigbys appear in connexion with Arley as early as 1483; Standish D. (Local Glean.), no. 169, 189.
Ralph Standish in 1531 purchased from Christopher Rigby and Joan his wife a third part of messuages, &c., in Duxbury and Chorley which were Joan's right; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 11, m. 108. In 1561 Alexander Rigby acquired a messuage, &c., in Duxbury from Thomas Molyneux; ibid. bdle. 23, m. 176. Alexander Rigby of Arley appears in 1564; Standish D. (Local Glean.), no. 317, 318.
As to the household of Alexander Rigby of Burgh, a justice and clerk of the Crown, it was reported that his wife, eldest son and other children seldom or never came to the church, and that one of his younger sons had been 'married by a mass priest'; Gibson, Lydiate Hall, 257 (from S. P. Dom. Eliz., ccxl, no. 139).
57 Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 244. He was feodary and clerk of the Crown, and in 1590 reported as 'evil given in religion; no communicant; his wife never at the church'; Lydiate Hall, 250, quoting S. P. Dom. Eliz. ccxxxv, no. 4. For the family connexion with the clerkship see Pal. Note-book, iv, 143.
58 Misc. (Rec. Soc.), i, 167.
59 Cal. Com. for Comp. iii, 1650; he had been sequestered for acting as commissioner of array. Fines amounting to £380 were imposed in 1648–9. He was removed from the commission of the peace in 1642, and in the following year raised men for the king in Cartmel; Civil War Tracts, 60, 149; War in Lancs. 16–18, 25. His sons Thomas and Hugh entered St. John's Coll., Camb., and one at least fought on the king's side; Admissions to St. John's Coll. i, 5, 51; War in Lancs. 22.
Alexander Rigby died before 1651, when his daughter Jane petitioned the County Commissioners respecting the estate at Layton in the Fylde; Cal. Com. for Comp. loc. cit.
Pedigrees of the family will be found in the Visit. (Chet. Soc.) of 1613 and 1664, and a full account with pedigree is given in Fishwick, Bispham (Chet. Soc.), 94–105, from which later details in the text have been taken.
60 War in Lancs. (Chet. Soc.), 22.
61 Inscription on the Tyldesley monument at Wigan.
62 P.R.O. List, 73.
63 Shaw, Knights, ii, 269.
64 Fishwick, op. cit. He quotes an account published in 1701.
65 Private Act, 1 Geo. I, cap. 45.
66 Visit. (Chet. Soc.), 123.
67 Lawrence son of Thurstan Standish of the Burgh, born in 1605, became a Jesuit; his sister Anne was one of the Poor Clares at Gravelines; Foley, Rec. S. J., vii, 730.
68 Burgh is said to have been sold by the Rigbys in 1727. Thomas Chadwick, of the Birkacre family, in 1744 married Eleanor Maria daughter and heiress of Matthew Cragg (d. 1753) of Cammerton and Burgh, and so acquired the estate; Wilson, Verses and Notes, 71, where is also printed a curious paper about the Rigby 'kneeling place and burial place' in Standish Church.
69 Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1836), iii, 520.
70 Subs. R. Lancs. bdle. 131, no. 210.
71 John de Anglezarke (Anlas.-Kuerden) gave an oxgang in Duxbury to Roger his son; Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 245b. Roger de Anglezarke contributed to the subsidy in 1332; Exch. Lay Subs. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 53. In 1370 Robert son of Roger de Anglezarke made a feoffment of lands in Duxbury; Kuerden, loc. cit. Robert Anglezarke of Duxbury occurs in 1480; ibid. William son or grandson and heir of Robert was in 1497–8 contracted to marry Agnes daughter of Rowland Gillibrand; ibid.
72 The Brandwood family occur in Withnell also.
73 Thomas Lowe died in 1629 holding an estate in Duxbury of Thomas Standish as of his manor of Duxbury, and also in Lower Darwen. John, his son and heir, was twenty-two years of age; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxvii, no. 14.
74 Land tax returns at Preston.