||1,062 acres, including 21 of inland
water; Census Rep. of 1901.
||Fishwick, Lancs. Library, 377.
||Subs. R. Lancs. bdle. 250, no. 9.
The houses of Peter Adlington and Ralph
Bayley were those having six hearths;
Lawrence Worthington's had five.
Lond. Gaz. 13 Sept. 1872.
||Note by Mr. Anderton.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc.
Lancs, and Ches.), i, 29.
The Earl of Lincoln, as lord of Penwortham, had in 1311 an ancient yearly
rent of 3s. from Duxbury and Adlington;
De Lacy Inq. (Chet. Soc.), 22.
The free rents due to Penwortham were
claimed as late as 1590; Ducatus Lanc.
(Rec. Com.), iii, 89, 240.
||Harl. MS. 2085, fol. 123.
||Duchy of Lanc. Knights' Fees, bdle.
2, no. 20.
Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), i, 18. As an assize of mort
d'ancestor had been summoned between
them the division was perhaps due to
inheritance through co-heiresses. Siward
de Duxbury, however, was to hold of
Walter, paying a rent of 3s. 6d. at
Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 269, 270.
||From the change of rent payable
according to the 16th-century inquisitions
it appears that the Adlington family then
had more than the moiety held in 1288,
but land in Duxbury was included in the
Some notes of the family charters are
preserved in Kuerden MSS. iii, A 2, and
iv, A 2. See also an account of the family
in Pal. Note-book, v, 4–7.
In 1246 Roger, John and Randle de
Adlington called upon William de Ferrers
(as successor of Marsey) to acquit them
of the services demanded by the guardians
of the Earl of Lincoln's lands (in right of
the fee of Penwortham); Assize R. 404,
m. 14 d. Richard de Adlington was a
juror in 1254; Lancs. Inq. and Extents,
Alice widow of Richard de Adlington
resigned to Hugh her eldest son part of
her land in Adlington, to be held of
William de Ferrers; Kuerden MSS. iii,
A 2, no. 23. She also granted to William
son of William de Worthington and his
wife Mabel her daughter lands in Edcroft,
Chollaycroft and Godithcroft, with the
service of Robert le Noreys; ibid. no.
Hugh de Adlington, as stated in the
text, was tenant of a moiety in 1288. In
1292 he was non-suited in a claim against
Robert le Noreys respecting a tenement
in Adlington, while William de Worthington and Mabel his wife were non-suited
in a claim against Hugh de Adlington;
Assize R. 408, m. 46, 57. In the same
year Hugh conceded a moiety of the waste
in Adlington to William de Worthington
and Mabel; Kuerden, loc. cit. no. 25.
There was another Hugh then living,
son of John de Adlington. He granted
to William his son land between Blackden
and the lands of Hugh de Adlington with
the homage, &c., of Hugh the brother of
William and of William de Blackburnshire and Isabel his wife. This land was
held of Henry de Duxbury; ibid. no. 22.
Ellen widow of Hugh de Adlington in
1320–1 gave half the manor of Adlington
to William her eldest son; ibid. no. 4.
Robert le Noreys the younger in 1319
called Thomas son of Hugh de Adlington
to warrant him; De Banco R. 230, m. 70 d.
Thomas de Adlington made an exchange
of lands in 1345; Kuerden, loc. cit. no. 6.
Thomas and John de Adlington contributed to the subsidy in 1332; Exch. Lay
Subs. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 53.
The latter is probably the John son of
Hugh de Adlington to whom his father's
trustee in 1307 (?) gave certain lands in
Adlington; Kuerden, loc. cit. no. 2. At
the same time John de Adlington gave to
Gilbert de Standish, rector of Standish,
the manor of Adlington and lands in
Duxbury and Chorley; ibid. no 1. The
date (1 Edw. II) is a difficulty, because
Gilbert did not become rector till 1357.
The first witness was Sir William
Robert le Noreys, already mentioned,
in 1322 made a settlement of his estate
in Blackrod and Adlington; Final Conc.
ii, 48. His son Hugh in 1359 granted to
Richard son of Hugh de Duxbury lands
in Adlington received from Thomas son
of Thomas de Adlington; Kuerden MSS.
iii, W 31, no. 1174.
In 1374 Sir Nicholas de Harrington
complained that Robert de Rishton had
abducted Thomas son and heir of Hugh
de Adlington, and he claimed wardship;
De Banco R. 455, m. 168 d., 424.
Hugh de Adlington, Cecily his wife,
Nicholas de Worthington and Joan his
wife had in 1443 a plea respecting land
with John son of Robert del Street; Pal.
of Lanc. Plea R. 5, m. 8.
Robert Adlington was in 1450 the
husband of Elizabeth, one of the
daughters and heirs of William Thornton
of Thornton in the Fylde, and her share
of the manor descended in the Adlington
family till 1601; Final Conc. iii, 117.
Hugh Adlington the elder in 1469
granted to Robert his son and heir the
manor of Adlington with appurtenances
and lands there and in Duxbury, Coppull,
Worthington and Chorley; Kuerden
MSS. iii, A 2, no. 7. Robert at once
made a feoffment of the manor, and it
was regranted to him in 1476 with successive remainders to his sons Hugh and
Christopher; ibid. no. 8, 9. In the
following year the Abbot of Abingdon
gave leave to Robert Adlington, Elizabeth
his wife and others to choose a confessor
with plenary indulgence; ibid. no. 16.
This Elizabeth was a daughter of Henry
Rishton; Dunkenhalgh D. (1475).
A marriage between Robert son of
Hugh son of Robert Adlington and Lora
daughter of Gilbert Langtree was agreed
upon in 1489–90; Kuerden, loc. cit.
no. 21. In 1495 Robert Adlington the
elder demised to Hugh his son and heir the
manor of Adlington; ibid. no. 10. Hugh
Adlington in 1512 granted to Robert, his
son and heir, and George Carleton the
manor of Adlington, &c.; ibid. no. 12.
This may have been a settlement on the
occasion of Robert's marriage.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vi, no. 73.
There are recited the provisions made by
Hugh the elder for his grandson's wife
Margaret daughter of Roger Asshaw.
Besides Robert there was a younger son
Visit. of 1533 (Chet. Soc.), 192.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. x, no.
John Adlington made various settlements of his manor of Adlington, with
its dovecote, water-mill, &c., and lands
in the township in 1560, 1572 and 1591;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 22, m. 42;
32, m. 76; 41, m. 60; 53, m. 237. In
the last his wife Margaret and his son
and heir Hugh were joined with him.
Out of one of these settlements a dispute
arose in 1588, Roger Adlington brother
of John claiming as next in succession;
Duchy of Lanc. Plead. Eliz. cxliv, A 22;
cxcvi, A 1; cxliv, A 11.
Hugh Adlington (1556) had had an
elder son Robert, whose marriage with
Katherine daughter of Ralph Orrell of
Turton was agreed on in 1549. Hugh
died, and his widow married Ralph Bradshaw, and they in 1564 claimed various
lands against John the brother and heir
of Hugh; ibid. Eliz. lviii, B 25.
||Printed by the Chetham Society:
Visit. 1567, p. 70; 1613, p. 119; 1664.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxix, no. 2.
In 1625 Hugh son and heir of Hugh
Adlington sold land called Jollycrofts to
Peter Anderton of Anderton; Pal. Notebook, v, 6. William Anderton (son of
Peter) sold the same in 1653 to George
Shaw of Anglezarke; Piccope MSS.
(Chet. Lib.), iii, 400.
Royalist Comp. Papers (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), i, 11–17. The father's
estate was seized by the Parliament for
the son's 'delinquency,' and after being
restored to the father was again 'secured,'
he being called upon to show his title.
||See the visitation pedigree; Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 173, m. 74; Cal.
Exch. of Pleas, A 33.
||There is a memoir of Sir Richard
Clayton, first baronet, in Dict. Nat.
Biog.; he published essays and translations.
||See Raines in Notitia Cestr. iii, 393,
and Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1836), iii, 515;
Sir Robert, a younger brother of Sir
Richard, had a life interest in the manor.
Pedigrees of the family will be found in
the older Baronetages and in Burke's
Landed Gentry, but they are erroneous,
and have been superseded by that of Mr.
R. Stewart-Brown in the Genealogist.
Thomas Clayton, the younger brother
of Robert Clayton of Fulwood, was
described as 'citizen of London' in the
pedigree recorded in 1664 and as 'merchant of Liverpool' in the Preston Guild
Roll of 1682. Thomas has a monument
in Standish Church. His son Richard,
who died in 1728, had a numerous family,
Sir Richard the judge, who also has a
monument in Standish Church, being the
third son, and John, the father of the
first baronet, being the fifth.
||Information of Mr. Dawbeny.
||Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1836), iii, 515,
writes as if the courts had then ceased.
||There is an illustration in Twycross'
Lancs. Mansions, i, 55.
||Perhaps it should not be spoken of
as a moiety; see a preceding note.
A branch of the Duxbury family continued to hold lands in Adlington as in
Duxbury itself. Thus Ughtred Duxbury
in 1513–14 made a feoffment of his lands,
including some in Adlington; Standish
D. (Local Glean. ii), no. 220. Thomas
Duxbury had the same in 1525; Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 11, m. 177. These
were probably the lands in Adlington held
by Edward Standish of Standish in 1610;
the superior lord was Hugh Adlington,
and a rent of 6d. was payable; Lancs.
Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i,
||Various suits introduce holders of
land in the township.
In 1292 Thomas Wen was non-suited
in a claim against William de Worthington and Mabel his wife; Assize R. 408,
m. 58. John son of Thomas Wen in
1305 claimed 7 acres in Adlington against
Henry son of Thomas Wen, Henry
Nightegale and others, Henry in the
result being sent to gaol for denying
his own charter; ibid. 420, m. 7.
Henry son of Robert de Walhull also
succeeded in his claim against Henry
Wen; ibid. Thomas Wen, on the other
hand, sought messuages and land in Adlington in 1343 against Alice daughter of
Henry de Walhull and others; De Banco
R. 337, m. 93 d. John Wen in 1346
demised for life to Adam de Perburn land
from the waste in 'Foghmore' which he
held by grant of Thomas son of Henry
Wen; Kuerden MSS. iii, A 2, no. 3, 5.
The Norris and Street families have
been mentioned in preceding notes.
||Roger Asshaw's messuages and land
in Adlington in 1540 were held of the
heir of William de Ferrers by a rent of
8¼d. yearly; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m.
viii, no. 11.
||Ibid. xxv, no. 6. See further in the
account of Heath Charnock.
||Reginald Allanson, who died in 1598
holding a messuage, &c., in Adlington, is
noticed in Heath Charnock. The residence, however, seems to have been in
Adlington, at a place called Rigshaw.
George Allanson, who was the son and
heir of Reginald, in 1627 made a small
grant of land near Allanson House to Hugh
Adlington; Kuerden MSS. iii, A 2, no. 18.
||Thomas Aughton in 1468 complained
of assault at Adlington by Hugh, Robert,
Christopher, James and Robert son of
Robert Adlington and others; Pal. of
Lanc. Writs Proton. file 8, Edw. IV.
Thomas Aughton was a defendant in
1530; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 148, m. 13 d.
James Aughton alias Hollins died in
1597 holding a messuage, &c., in Adlington of John Adlington as of his manor of
Adlington by the moiety of a knight's fee
and a rent of 3d. Hugh his son and heir
was seventeen years of age; Duchy of
Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvii, no. 78. According
to a pedigree recorded in 1567 (Visit. p.
68), John Aughton of Adlington was descended from a Thomas Aughton who had
married the heir of Charnock of Adlington.
James Aughton's name is not given.
The name Hollins occurs at Adlington
in 1448; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 11, m. 32b.
James Hollins of Adlington, tailor, in
1530–1 complained that whereas he and
his ancestors had been used to carry by a
certain way from his messuage to the
common pasture of the town, John
Lawrenson alias Gibson had obstructed it
by making a ditch there; Pal. of Lanc.
Assize R. 10. James Hollins made a
settlement in 1539; Pal. of Lanc. Plea
R. 169, m. 13. John Gibson was accused
of trespass on Biggeshay Common in
1543; Pal. of Lanc. Writs of Assize,
bdle. 20. A Reginald Gibson sold or
mortgaged messuages, &c., in Adlington
to Alexander and Nicholas Rigby in 1559;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 21, m. 93.
James Aughton or Hollins and Margaret his wife demised part of their estate
in 1588; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 50,
m. 205. Hugh Hollins, the heir, was
plaintiff in 1601; Ducatus Lanc. iii, 461.
||Roger Anderton in 1593 purchased
from James Aughton and Alexander
Sharples alias Ward and Anne his wife
the 'manor' of Adlington and various
lands; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 55,
m. 197. From the pedigree above referred
to it appears that Anne was one of the
daughters and co-heirs of John Aughton.
The purchaser was no doubt the son
of Christopher Anderton of Lostock who
had himself made various purchases in
Adlington and Heath Charnock; see
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), ii, 27. As Roger Anderton of
Birchley, near Wigan, the son held some
land in 1640, but the tenure is not
stated; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m.
xxx, no. 7. Roger Anderton, a convicted recusant, paid to the subsidy in
1628; Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.),
In 1654 Robert Holt purchased the
'manor' of Adlington with lands, &c.,
in Adlington, Anderton and Blackrod,
from James Anderton (of Birchley), Anne
his wife, Roger Anderton, William Anderton (of Anderton), Magdalen his wife,
William Anderton, Thomas Gillibrand,
Anne his wife, John Gillibrand and
Elizabeth his wife; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of
F. bdle. 153, m. 195.
||Roger Crosse in 1522 held messuages and land in Adlington of the lords
of Leylandshire by a rent of 8½d.; Duchy
of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vi, no. 18.
||Lawrence Breres, the heir of Crosse,
held land in Adlington in 1584 of the
Earl of Derby and Sir Richard Shireburne
by the above rent of 8½d.; ibid. xiv,
no. 8. See ibid. xvii, no. 34, and Lancs.
Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.),
i, 233. The houses, &c., were sold to
Roger Fazakerley of Walton; Cal. Com.
for Comp. iv, 2521.
||The Lancelyns held lands, &c., in
Adlington, Charnock Gogard and Duxbury
of the heir of Lord de Ferrers; Duchy
of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vi, no. 23; ix, no. 1.
'Lancelyn's meadow' was in the time
of Edward VI in the possession of Lawrence Asshaw (Ducatus Lanc. i, 262), so
that he may have purchased the Lancelyn
estate in the neighbourhood.
||The descent of this family is
unknown. It is possible that they represented the William de Worthington and
Mabel his wife whose possessions about
1300 have been named in preceding notes.
Thomas de Worthington and Nicholas
his brother occur in 1369; Kuerden MSS.
iii, W 27. The former seems to have
been of Blainscough, the latter may have
been of Crawshaw. Nicholas de Worthington and Joan his wife have occurred
in 1443. A writ of diem claus. extr.
after the death of Lawrence Worthington
in 1446 may refer to one of this family;
Lancs. Rec. Inq. p.m. no. 32.
Pedigrees were recorded in 1613 (Visit.
Chet. Soc. p. 126) and 1665 (Dugdale's
Visit. p. 342). The former begins with a
Christopher Worthington, probably living
in the time of Edward IV. Christopher
was no doubt the husband (1450) of
Joan, another of the daughters and heirs
of William Thornton already named;
Final Conc. iii, 117. Joan died in 1501
holding part of Thornton and leaving a
son and heir Lawrence, aged thirty;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iii, no. 108.
Thomas Worthington of Crawshaw
died in 1627 holding a capital messuage
and lands of Hugh Adlington as of his
manor of Adlington; he also held lands,
&c., in Chorley and Thornton in the
Fylde. His son and heir Lawrence was
forty-two years of age in 1641, when the
inquisition was taken; Towneley MS.
C 8, 13 (Chet. Lib.), p. 1292.
Lawrence Worthington, living in 1665,
is said to have been succeeded by three
daughters—Agnes, who married Thomas
Wesley of Chorley; Dorothy, who married William Barnes of Blackrod; and
Anne; Piccope MS. Pedigrees (Chet.
Lib.), ii, 317.
The Worthingtons of Snydale in Westhoughton were an offshoot of this family.
||Pat. 25 Eliz. The tenant was
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), ii, 160. The tenement was called
Sutton House, and was held of the king
as of his manor of East Greenwich.
Cal. Com. for Comp. iv, 2757. The
land seems to have been part of Roger
Breres' estate. John Rigby of Shevington was a claimant.
||Land tax returns at Preston.
||For district see Lond. Gaz. 16 Aug.
||Services began in 1861 in a room
over a workshop; the church was built
four years later. See Nightingale, Lancs.
Nonconf. ii, 25.