Townships
Coppull

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)

Year published

1911

Pages

224-229

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Townships: Coppull', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 6 (1911), pp. 224-229. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53104 Date accessed: 20 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

COPPULL

Cophull, Cophulle, 1277; Copphull, 1351; Copthull, 1374; Coppull, 1444.

This township has the River Yarrow for part of its northern boundary, the southern being formed by the Buckow Brook, which divides Coppull from Langtree and Worthington. Chisnall lies in the extreme western corner and Birkacre in the northern, while Blainscough lies between them. The area is 2,280 acres. (fn. 1) As the name indicates, the rising ground in the centre is the main feature; it attains over 300 ft.; on the northern slope, called Chapel Hillock, is the small village. To the north-west of it is Springfield. The population in 1901 was 2,940. (fn. 2)

The principal road is that from Wigan to Preston, going north through the western portion of the township; several cross roads go east from it. The Wigan and Chorley road is on the eastern side. The London and North Western Company's Wigan and Preston line runs northwards through the centre, and has a station called Coppull, a little north of the village; there are several mineral branch lines serving the collieries in the township.

The soil is clayey with subsoil stone; wheat, barley and oats are grown.

The hearth tax return of 1666 gives a total of 121 hearths charged. The largest houses were those of Thomas Worthington, with fourteen hearths, Edward Dicconson ten, and Edward Chisnall eight. Next to this came William Crook's with five. (fn. 3)

Roger Haydock, a zealous Quaker who was twice imprisoned at Lancaster, was born at Coppull in 1644 and died at Penketh, near Warrington, in 1696. (fn. 4) The other celebrities of the township are two of the Worthingtons of Blainscough, one a Jesuit, the other a Dominican, and Edward Chisnall.

The township is governed by a parish council.

There was anciently a cross in Kirk Lane. (fn. 5) 'Watling Street' is named in an early Burscough charter.

Manors

This township was originally a part of Worthington, (fn. 6) and continued to be held of the lords of the latter, but a manor of COPPULL was granted to a family which assumed the local name. Richard lord of Coppull (fn. 7) was one of the early benefactors of Burscough Priory, granting land called Perburn. (fn. 8) But little is known of the family, (fn. 9) which retained possession until the time of Edward IV, when the manor was purchased by Sir Thomas Stanley, (fn. 10) and descended with Lathom (fn. 11) for more than a century. In 1600 William Earl of Derby sold it to Edward Rigby of Burgh in Duxbury, (fn. 12) in whose family it remained for some time. (fn. 13) In 1755 it was in the possession of a family named Livesey, (fn. 14) and was in 1820 sold to John Hodson of Ellerbeck in Duxbury, (fn. 15) and has in the same way as that estate descended to the trustees of the late Lord Cardwell, who are said to be lords of the manor of Coppull. (fn. 16)

A younger branch of the Coppull family ended in co-heiresses (fn. 17) —Isabel, who married William Nightingale, (fn. 18) and Cecily, who married John de Charnock of the Bank in Charnock. (fn. 19)

CHISNALL (fn. 20) was held by the Chisnall family from an early time. Roger and John de Chisnall are mentioned in 1277, (fn. 21) and in 1292 the latter recovered land in Worthington. (fn. 22) Roger de Chisnall and Margaret his wife in 1347 settled a messuage and land on Roger son of Roger and Alice his wife, with remainders to Robert, John and Thomas, brothers of the younger Roger. (fn. 23) For a century and a half there is little record of the family, (fn. 24) but John Chisnall, who died in 1525, was found to hold messuages and lands in Coppull and Worthington partly of the Earl of Derby by a rent of 2s. 2d. and partly of Richard Worthington by a rent of 2s.; his son and heir Thomas was only fifteen years old. (fn. 25) A settlement was made in 1554 (fn. 26) and a pedigree recorded in 1567, (fn. 27) Thomas Chisnall being still alive.


Chisnall. Argent three crosslets fitchy within a bordure gules.


Rigby of Burgh. Bendy indented of six argent and azure, on a cheif sable three cinque foils or.

His son Edward succeeded before 1600, (fn. 28) and by his marriage with Margaret Worthington secured an estate in Shevington. (fn. 29) Their son Edward took a distinguished part in the first defence of Lathom House in 1644, and afterwards fought at Marston Moor. His estates were of course sequestered by the Parliamentary authorities, and he compounded for them. (fn. 30) Afterwards he turned to controversy, producing in 1653 his Catholike History in defence of 'the Reformed Church of England.' (fn. 31) He died 5 March 1653–4, (fn. 32) and was succeeded by his son Sir Edward Chisnall, who represented Wigan in 1688–9 as a Whig and Preston in 1690 as a Tory. (fn. 33) His daughter and eventual heir married Stephen Ham merton of Hellifield Peel in Yorkshire, and the estate descended for some time in the family. (fn. 34)

BLAINSCOUGH gave a surname to one of the local families, (fn. 35) but the principal estate was that of the Worthingtons, probably a branch of the manorial family settling there early in the 14th century. (fn. 36)

Richard Worthington of Blainscough died in December 1526 holding messuages and lands in Coppull of Edward Earl of Derby in socage by the rent of a pair of white gloves yearly, or 1d., and others in the same place of Richard Worthington of Worthington by a rent of 2s. He also held lands in Brindle and Turton. Peter, his son and heir, was twelve years old. (fn. 37) Peter died in 1578 owning a somewhat increased estate; the lands in Coppull were held of the Earl of Derby by a rent of 2s. 9d. and a pair of gloves, and of Edward Worthington by a rent of 2s. (fn. 38) Richard, the son and heir, was forty years of age; he died in 1590, leaving a son Thomas, twenty-three years old. (fn. 39)

After a temporary conformity on the accession of Elizabeth the family became distinguished by a resolute adherence to Roman Catholicism. Thomas Worthington, son of Peter, educated at Oxford (fn. 40) and then at Douay, came on the English mission in 1578, thus arousing his father's opposition. He was betrayed (fn. 41) and sent to the Tower in 1584, and banished the following year. In 1599 he became president of Douay and caused a disturbance by his subservience to the Jesuits. He went to Rome, but returned to England in 1616 and died at Biddulph in 1626, having just previously entered the Society of Jesus. (fn. 42) The adventures of his four nephews, who fell into the hands of Bishop Chadderton, but afterwards made their way abroad, provide an interesting story. (fn. 43)

One of them was the heir of Blainscough, Thomas Worthington, who married a niece of Cardinal Allen. He found it advisable to take refuge abroad, and died an exile at Louvain in 1619. (fn. 44) His son and heir William, also a convicted recusant, (fn. 45) adhered to the king's cause in the Civil War, and lost his estate for the time, it being sequestered. (fn. 46) A pedigree was recorded in 1664, (fn. 47) but the family fell into an obscurity easily accounted for by this outline of their story. (fn. 48) Blainscough was sold to Richard Holt of Wigan in 1732, (fn. 49) and in 1836 was the property of George Case of Liverpool. (fn. 50)

The Torbocks at one time claimed a lordship in Coppull, (fn. 51) and among others connected with the township were the families of Nevill, (fn. 52) Prescot, (fn. 53) Ugnall, (fn. 54) Wetshaw, (fn. 55) Perburn (fn. 56) and Haydock. (fn. 57) Birkacre was in the 13th century granted to William de Worthington. (fn. 58) In more recent times it belonged to the Chadwicks. (fn. 59) Lands in Coppull were also held by neighbouring landowners, as appears from the inquisitions. (fn. 60)

The subsidy roll of 1542–3 shows the following landowners in Coppull and Worthington: Richard and Peter Worthington, Thomas Chisnall and the wife of John Chisnall (fn. 61) ; the roll of 1564 has Thomas and Peter Worthington, Thomas Chisnall and Andrew Ugnall. (fn. 62) Several 'Papists' registered small estates in 1717. (fn. 63) In 1783 the principal landowners were James Hammerton, Jane Person, Edward Chadwick (double assessed), Samuel Crook and Edward Holt. (fn. 64)

Church

A chapel certainly existed at Coppull before the Reformation, (fn. 65) but it was afterwards allowed to fall into ruin. (fn. 66) In 1654 a new one was built by William Crook, the inhabitants repaying him most of the cost. (fn. 67) On the restoration of episcopacy and the Prayer-book in 1660 the chapel appears to have been served from the parish church, but after a time the trustees or the survivor made an effort to secure it for the Presbyterian worship. (fn. 68) The chapel was on account of these feuds closed in 1715, but soon afterwards secured for the Church of England. A grant from Queen Anne's Bounty was obtained in 1716 (fn. 69) and a perpetual curate appointed. The chapel was rebuilt in 1758 and replaced by the present church in 1861. There is no dedication. The rector of Standish is now patron. A district was assigned in 1842. (fn. 70)

The following is a list of the curates and vicars:—

1688Thomas Walkden (fn. 71)
1705Thomas Ingham (fn. 72)
1733George Hargreaves (fn. 73)
1763Benjamin Cooper, B.A. (fn. 74)
1763Richard Dewhurst, B.A.
1793Joseph Taylor (fn. 75)
1839Henry Worsley Jackson
1855J. G. Hollingworth, B.A. (Exeter Coll., Oxf.)
1906George Tomlinson, B.A. (Dur.)

The Wesleyan Methodists have a church, as have also the Primitive Methodists.

There was formerly a meeting of the Society of Friends, (fn. 76) perhaps the original of that in Langtree.

Footnotes

1 2,282, including 7 of inland water; Census Rep. 1901.
2 Including Springfield.
3 Subs. R. Lancs. bdle. 250, no. 9.
4 See Dict. Nat. Biog. His writings were published by John Field in 1700; appended is a biography by his brother John Haydock, dated at Coppull.
5 Lancs. and Ches. Antiq. Soc. xvii, 19.
6 It seems clear from many of the charters and suits that 'Worthington,' as commonly used, included Coppull. In 1300 one Jordan son of John son of Robert claimed 19 acres in Coppull against John de Coppull, and the defence was that there was no vill named Coppull, this being merely a place in Worthington; De Banco R. 131, m. 270. Nevertheless, in 1332 the name of the township is given as Coppull-with-Worthington; Exch. Lay Subs. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 49.
7 He is called 'son of Thomas.' Thomas de Coppull is named in the Pipe Roll of 1213–15; Farrer, Lancs. Pipe R. 251. He released to Alexander son of John lands held of his son Richard; Kuerden MSS. iii, C 33.
8 Burscough Reg. fol. 47; Duchy of Lanc. Anct. D. 619–21; Dep. Keeper's Rep. xxxvi, App. 201. The bounds in one grant (620) are thus described: Beginning where Blacklache descends into the Perburn, up Blacklache northwards to a cross in the old ditch of Coldcotes, along the ditch to a cross in the high road of Watling Street, along this high road to a cross on the Perburn over against the course of the great spring of Langtree, and so down the thread of Perburn water to another cross and the said Blacklache. To this were added all the grantor's part of the water of Perburn appertaining to 4 oxgangs, pannage in the woods of Coppull and other easements. The seal of no. 619 shows a bird with the legend + SIG. . . . ICARDI DE COPHVL. The deeds may be dated between 1230 and 1264.
At the Dissolution the lands appear to have been held by Hugh Haydock by a rent of 3s.—'late the inheritance of — Perbronte' is added—and James Giller, who paid 6d.; Duchy of Lanc. Rentals and Surv. bdle. 4, no. 6, a & b.
9 A number of brief abstracts of the deeds are in Kuerden MSS. iii, C 33.
Thomas de Cophull has already been mentioned as living in 1213, and Richard his son as a benefactor of Burscough. John de Coppull occurs from 1242 to 1254; Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 149, 193.
In 1275 Agnes widow of John de Coppull claimed dower against John son of John de Coppull, holding a messuage and 12 acres, and against others; De Banco R. 20, m. 18. In 1276 John son of John de Coppull claimed a tenement in Coppull against William de Worthington; Assize R. 405, m. 1. Later, in 1282, John son of Richard de Coppull claimed land in Coppull against John son of John de Coppull; De Banco R. 47, m. 126 d.
At the same time John son of Richard de Coppull was called to warrant in disputes concerning land in Coppull; ibid. 45, m. 19 d.; 47, m. 25. Henry de Coppull was called to warrant in another case; ibid. John son of Richard de Coppull granted half the marsh in Coppull and Worthington to Adam son of Ralph and Amery his wife; Kuerden MSS. iii, C 33. Roger de Bolton and Joan his wife daughter of John de Coppull in the time of Edward I granted land in Coppull to Henry de Burgh at the rent of a barbed arrow and 6d.; B.M. Add. Chart. 8491, &c.
John de Coppull occurs in 1293; Inq. and Extents, i, 281. In 1322 he made a settlement of the manor of Coppull, with remainders to his grandson John (son of Richard), who had married Alice, and to his own sons John and Thomas and to Robert son of Emma Risserasse; Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 47.
John the grandson died before July 1354, and one daughter, Clemency, having died without issue, and the other, Margery wife of Adam de Tyldesley, being adjudged illegitimate, the manor was claimed by John son of John de Coppull against Adam son of Henry de Tyldesley and Hugh de Worthington; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 3, m. v d.; 4, m. 10. The plaintiff in this case was called 'the elder.' He was defendant in later suits, e.g. in 1358 one by his brother Thomas (Assize R. 438, m. 14) and in 1360 by Nicholas le Norreys, at the same time as Hugh le Norreys (as son and heir of Maud daughter of John de Coppull) brought one against Henry son of John de Coppull; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 7, m. 5, 6.
In 1362 Hugh son of William de Worthington claimed the custody of a moiety of the manor of Coppull by reason of the minority of John son of John son of John de Coppull; De Banco R. 411, m. 76. Four years later John son of John de Coppull was contracted to marry Emma daughter of John son of Robert de Heskin; Kuerden MSS. iii, C 33. John and Emma his wife are mentioned as late as 1398; ibid.
The other moiety of the manor probably remained with Worthington.
John de Coppull made a feoffment of the manor in 1382–3, and this was regranted to him or his successor of the same name in 1398; Kuerden, loc. cit. About the same time (20 Hen. IV, probably for 2°) William son of John de Coppull was engaged to marry Alice daughter of William de Bredkirk (?); ibid. A feoffment of the manor was made in 1412–13 by William de Coppull with lands in Coppull, Worthington, Eccleston, Heskin, Wrightington, Chorley and Pleasington; and in 1429–30 the estate was regranted to him and his issue with remainders to Richard, Edmund, Robert, John, Henry, James and Thomas Coppull, all bastards, and to Maud Coppull; ibid. A new feoffment was made in 1432–3; ibid.
Again in 1441–2 a feoffment was made by William Coppull and Isabel his wife; ibid. William was perhaps the son and heir of the preceding William, for he is called 'William Coppullson,' and in 1453–4 brothers Richard and Gilbert are named; ibid. A further settlement was made in 1458–9 by the agency of William Harrington of Westleigh; the remainders were to William son of William and Isabel, to Richard son of William the elder, for the life of Gilbert son of William the younger, to John son of William the elder, and lastly to the right heirs of William son of William; ibid.
10 William son of William Coppull sold all his father's lands in Coppull, Duxbury and Chorley to Sir Thomas Stanley in 1461, and releases were made by Isabel widow of William Coppull and by William Harrington; ibid. As late as 1553, however, a release was made by one William Coppull to Edward Earl of Derby; ibid.
11 Thomas second Earl of Derby in 1508 granted the manor of Coppull to Sir Edward Stanley, afterwards Lord Mounteagle, for life. The manor was in 1521 stated (erroneously) to be held of the king as of his duchy by the service of a knight's fee; it was worth £30 a year; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. v, no. 68. A similar statement as to the tenure was recorded in the inquisition after the death of Ferdinando fifth earl in 1595; Add. MS. 32104, fol. 425b.
James Browne, lessee of the earl, occurs in 1590; Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), iii, 213, 412, &c.
12 Notes of the deeds are in Kuerden, ut sup.
Edward Rigby purchased messuages and lands in Coppull in 1594 from John Crosse, Alice his wife and Richard his son; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 56, m. 163.
Edward Rigby of Burgh and Layton in 1627 held the manor of Coppull, but the tenure was unknown; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxvi, no. 5.
13 The manor is named in Rigby settlements in 1655 and 1681; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 157, m. 93; 206, m. 32.
14 In a fine respecting the manor of Coppull and twenty messuages, two dovehouses, land, meadow, &c., in Coppull, Shevington and Orrell the plaintiffs were Richard and Thomas Livesey and the deforciants Robert Livesey, Anne his wife, Jane and Margaret Pearson; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 355, m. 101.
John Pearson Livesey was vouchee in a recovery of 'the manor or reputed manor' of Coppull in 1803; Pal. of Lanc. Aug. Assizes, 43 Geo. III, roll 8. Thomas William Bridge and his wife were deforciants in a fine of 1808; ibid. Lent Assizes, 48 Geo. III.
15 Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1836), iii, 516; Raines in Notitia Cestr. ii, 395.
16 See the account of Duxbury.
17 Thomas son of John de Coppull is named in the fine of 1322 already cited. He left a son John and the two daughters named in the text. John made a grant of lands in 1360; Kuerden MSS. iii, C 33. In 1365 Ellen widow of John de Bolton recovered lands and rent in Coppull against John son of Thomas de Coppull, Amice the widow of Thomas, Henry son of William Bibby and John de Ugnall; De Banco R. 419, m. 155; 423, m. 319 d.
John had died without issue before 1374, when his sisters Isabel and Cecily were in possession; De Banco R. 454, m. 130.
18 The name was formerly spelt Nightegale, and the family occurs frequently in the district. Roger de Kendal and Mabel his wife in 1319 claimed dower in a toft in Worthington against John Nightingale; ibid. 231, m. 6. Henry son of John Nightingale was one of the defendants in a claim by Adam son of Adam del Head in 1313–14; Assize R. 424, m. 6 d. In 1326 John son of Adam del Head, a minor, was plaintiff respecting lands in Worthington against John Nightingale; De Banco R. 264, m. 265.
In the Worthington of Blainscough abstract are several deeds referring to a branch of the Nightingale family. Thus Adam son of Adam de Blainscough gave land to Richard de Linacre, who transferred it to Henry de Nightingale, and Henry made a settlement of his lands with final remainder to Henry Nightingale the elder. Henry son of John Nightingale had a grant of lands in 1316 and John Nightingale in 1347.
19 The Charnocks had previously held land in Coppull, for in 1351 Thomas de Coppull purchased two messuages and 20 acres in Worthington and Coppull from John son of Adam Hulcockson de Charnock and Alice his wife; Final Conc. ii, 131.
In 1374 Henry son of William de Burgh claimed a tenement in Coppull against John son of John de Charnock and Cecily his wife; De Banco R. 453, m. 151 d.; 456, m. 326. John and Cecily made a settlement of their estate in 1391; Final Conc. iii, 38. Christopher Charnock of Coppull occurs in 1442; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 4, m. 3. He is mentioned again in 1451 as son of William; Pal. of Lanc. Writs of Assize, bdle. 4.
20 Chysinhale, 1277; Chisenhale, usually.
21 In pleas for dower by Agnes widow of John de Coppull; De Banco R. 21, m. 68, 85 d. The case was proceeding in 1282; ibid. 44, m. 26 d.
22 Assize R. 408, m. 74 d.
John de Chisnall the younger and Roger de Chisnall were appointed to the assize of ale in Lancashire in 1324; Fine R. 124, m. 16. William de Chisnall occurs in 1331; De Banco R. 287, m. 127; and John and Roger in 1332; Exch. Lay Subs. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 49. Roger de Chisnall made a feoffment of lands in Worthington in 1336; the remainder was to John son of Alice de Standish; Standish D. (Mrs. Tempest's abstract), no. 51. John de Chisnall of Longshaw, Juliana his wife and Nicholas his son were defendants in 1338; Assize R. 1425, m. 6. Roger de Chisnall was a plaintiff in 1347; Assize R. 1435, m. 37. The wardship of the heir of John de Chisnall was disputed in 1352; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 1, m. v.
Roger de Chisnall, a plaintiff in 1324, was son of Robert son of a Roger de Chisnall who in the time of Henry III had held the lands claimed; De Banco R. 253, m. 35. The abstracts of the Standish of Standish deeds also show that Roger de Chisnall was son of Robert; he had a son John who died without issue between 1380 and 1399, the estate going to John's sister Joan wife of Henry de Farnworth, who seems to have had daughters and heirs— Avice and Joan; Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 217, &c. For the above John de Chisnall see Final Conc. iii, 31.
23 Final Conc. ii, 123.
24 Richard Chisnall of Coppull is mentioned in 1444; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 6, m. 3.
Richard Chisnall in 1487–8 made a feoffment of part of his demesne called the Longfields and the Ridding near the hall; Kuerden fol. MS. 88, C.
25 Duchy of Lane. Inq. p.m. vi, no. 66; John Chisnall also had land in Wrightington and a burgage in Wigan. It is recited that Thomas the father of John had made a settlement of the capital messuage of Chisnall and lands in favour of Maud daughter of Thurstan Anderton on her marriage with John Chisnall, and that John had made a feoffment of his estate.
26 Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 15, m. 95. Richard Chisnall was plaintiff and Thomas Chisnall was deforciant. The property included a water-mill, dovecote, &c. For Richard, a brother of Thomas, see the account of Little Lever.
27 Visit. 1567 (Chet. Soc.), 71. It appears that Thomas died before 1588, when his son John, thirty-six years of age, was heir of his uncle Richard; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xiv, no. 39.
28 Edward came of age by 1597, when he was summoned to do service for lands in Darcy Lever; Manch. Ct. Leet Rec. ii, 121. He was a freeholder in 1600; Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 244. He recorded a pedigree in 1613, in which it is stated that arms had been granted in 1595; Visit. of 1613 (Chet. Soc.), 24. He was the most considerable landowner in the township, and in 1631 paid £25 as composition on declining knighthood; Misc. (Rec. Soc.), i, 214.
He died 23 Apr. 1635 holding the capital messuage called Chisnall Hall, a dovecote, messuages and lands in Coppull and neighbouring townships; also a messuage in High Holborn called Chisnall's Buildings, adjoining Gray's Inn. The lands in Coppull were held of Alexander Rigby and William Worthington in socage by a rent of 4s. 2d. Edward his son and heir was sixteen years of age; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxviii, no. 8; Funeral Cert. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 202.
29 See the account of Shevington.
30 Royalist Comp. Papers (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 35–38. His 'delinquency' was that, 'being newly called to the bar at Gray's Inn, he adhered to and assisted the forces raised against the Parliament.' He compounded in 1648.
There was afterwards some trouble because his mother had been a recusant, but nothing is said as to his having assisted Prince Charles at Worcester. The annual rental of the estates was about £120.
31 The Epistle Dedicatory, dated at Chisnall 11 Feb. 1651–2, is addressed 'to the Right Reverend the Legal Clergy of the Reformed Protestant Church of England'; the author ignores as far as possible the changes which had made 'the Establishment Presbyterian,' 'our English Sion being now laid waste.' At the end the printer apologises for the numeroUS misprints, 'occasioned by the difficult and uncouth character of the author's hand, whose remote abode admitted of no intercourse to instruct me therein.' The book has an interesting engraved title.
There are notices of Edward Chisnall in Dict. Nat. Biog., Civil War Tracts (Chet. Soc.), 341, and War in Lancs. (Chet. Soc.), 125. In the last-named work he is called Colonel Chisnall, and is said to have been taken prisoner at Wigan. He was again captured at Appleby in 1648; Civil War Tracts, 275. In the same collection will be found particulars of his conduct at Lathom, 170, &c.
In a fine respecting the 'manor' of Chisnall in 1652 the deforciants were Edward Chisnall and Elizabeth his wite; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 150, m. 17.
32 Memorial tablet in Standish Church. Another inscription records two commissions, one by Prince Rupert, the other by Charles II, dated in Aug. 1651.
33 Pink and Beaven, Parl. Repre. of Lancs. 229, 158. He was made a knight in 1671, and died about 1728. A settlement of the manor of Chisnall and various lands was made in 1671 by Sir Edward Chisnall, Elizabeth his wife, Sir William Coney and Edward Moore; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 187, m. 28. A pedigree was recorded in 1665, when Edward, eighteen years of age, was the husband of Anne Atkinson; Dugdale, Visit. (Chet. Soc.), 78.
There are a number of references to Sir Edward in Hist. MSS. Com. Rep. xiv, App. iv (Kenyon MSS.), and a letter of his (p. 248). A bill for the settlement of his estates is named in 1678; Hist. MSS. Com. Rep. ix, App. ii, 101b. See also Le Neve, Ped. of Knights (Harl. Soc.), 247–8. He married as his second wife Elizabeth Playters in 1671; Chesters, Lond. Mge. Lic. With her he had the manor of Pirleston alias Prilleston alias Billingford, Norf., with the advowson of the church, and in 1693, after her death, a settlement was made by Sir Edward Chisnall, William his son and heirapparent (by Elizabeth); Agecroft deeds, 370. In the following year an assignment of the manor of Chisnall and the other lands in Lancashire was made by the son and heir William; ibid. 364.
In 1726 a settlement of the manor of Chisnall was made by Sir Edward Chisnall, with remainders to William and Edward his sons, and to John Hammerton his grandson (son of Anne, Sir Edward's daughter by his first marriage). All three succeeded in turn by 1738. Sir Edward also had a daughter by his second marriage, and she was twice married, having children by both husbands; ibid. 365.
34 Pink and Beaven, loc. cit.
There was a recovery of the manor of Chisnall and lands in the parishes of Standish, Eccleston, Wigan and Bolton in 1772, James Hammerton being a vouchee; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 615, m. 11.
James Hammerton of Hellifield Peel was the owner about 1836; Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1), iii, 516. Chisenhall Hamerton owned it in 1849; Raines in Notitia Cestr. ii, 395.
35 Richard son of Orm de Blainscough granted Whitecroft and the Wra in Blainscough to John de Ingol; a rent of 12d. was to be paid to Thomas de Coppull and his heirs. He added other land, for which 5d. a year was due to Thomas de Wrightington; Towneley MS. DD, no. 1488.
Aimery widow of Roger son of Isabel de Bleynescowe in 1281 claimed dower in messuages and land in Worthington against Henry son of Henry de la Lee. William de Worthington was called to warrant; De Banco R. 42, m. 22 d.; 45, m. 6 d.; 47, m. 13.
From a 17th-century abstract of the Worthington of Blainscough deeds (in the possession of W. Farrer) it appears that Adam de Blainscough made a grant of land in the place to Thomas his son; Adam son of Adam de Blainscough gave to Adam son of Robert the Tailor of Lathom all the land he had in the vill of Worthington in Blainscough in 1311; Henry son of Adam de Blainscough made a grant in 1326, while three years previously John son of Henry de Blainscough gave land called Newhey in the hamlet of Blainscough to Henry son of William the Woodward and Amery his wife. Henry son of Adam also occurs in grants from 1344 to 1346.
36 3 William de Worthington was in possession of Blainscough about 1340. It does not appear how he was connected with the Worthingtons of Worthington; about the same time there was a William son of William and a William son of Robert. The latter was probably the founder of the Blainscough family. Robert son of William de Worthington is named in the account of Worthington. In 1332 William de Worthington and 'William son of Robert' contributed to the subsidy in the township; Exch. Lay Subs. 49.
Various charges were made against William de Worthington, coroner, in 1343; Assize R. 430, m. 28.
The following notes are from the abstract referred to above: William Gerard and his wife granted land in Brindle to William de Worthington, Isabel his wife and Thomas their son in 1339. To a Blainscough deed of 1344 William de Worthington and Robert de Worthington were witnesses. Thomas de Coppull in 1350 gave all his lands to Thomas son of William de Worthington, and the same Thomas occurs in other deeds down to 1384. He received licence for his oratory at Blainscough in 1388; Lich. Epis. Reg. vi, fol. 124. He had a brother Nicholas, and Nicholas de Worthington and others (probably trustees) in 1384 granted lands in Turton, &c., to Thomas de Worthington the elder and Ralph his son. There was a recovery of the lands of Ralph de Worthington in 1396–7. A Richard de Worthington, who seems to have married Alice daughter and heir of Henry de Bretherton, occurs in 1405 and 1413. In 1434–5 a settlement of land in Wrightington was made by Ralph de Worthington and Joan his wife, the remainders being to Gilbert, Edward, Eleanor and James, perhaps younger children. A more general one was made by Ralph in 1439–40, and the feoffees regranted the lands to Henry de Worthington and Katherine daughter of William de Heaton. (It seems probable that Henry was son of Richard and grandson of Ralph.)
The recorded pedigree (Visit. of 1567, p. 77) begins with this Henry. The abstract shows that in 1447–8 he made a feoffment of his lands, &c., in Coppull, Worthington, Brindle, Turton, Glazebrook and Wrightington. His son Peter, who married Joan daughter of Richard Lawde of Preston, occurs in 1461 and 1475, and was living in 1505–6, when he contracted Richard, his son and heir, in marriage with Alice daughter of John Ashton of Bamfurlong. The marriage may not have taken place. According to the visitation pedigree Richard's wife was Agnes daughter of Henry Rishton. In 1514 Richard and Agnes made a settlement of their estate, and Peter his son was in 1520 contracted to marry Isabel daughter of James Anderton of Euxton.
With Richard the inquisitions p.m. begin.
37 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vi, no. 52.
38 Ibid. xii, no. 18. He appears to have conformed outwardly to the established religion. A pedigree was recorded in 1567.
39 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xv, no. 27. In 1584 it was reported to the queen's ministers that 'Mr. Worneton, he keeps a Jesuit in his house which is his brother, and mass openly is said in his house'; Gibson, Lydiate Hall, p. 227 (from S.P. Dom. Eliz. clxxv, no. 21). He is said to have died a prisoner for religion.
40 Brasenose College, B.A. 1570; Foster, Alumni.
41 He was taken at the house of a friend, Richard Wood of Islington, grandfather of Anthony a Wood, the Oxford antiquary. The Worthingtons attributed his capture to treachery.
42 See Wood's Athenae Oxon.; Dict. Nat. Biog.; Foley's Records S. J. ii, 104– 10; vii, 866; and Gillow's Bibl. Dict. of Engl. Cath. v, 595. In 1613 he joined the Oratory of St. Philip Neri at Rome. He published several volumes.
43 The story is told, probably with some exaggeration, in Bridgewater's Concertatio (1594), translated in Foley's Records S. J. ii, 116–32. Their names were Thomas (the heir), Robert, Richard and John. Thomas and John escaped from prison, but the former was captured at Islington with his uncle and imprisoned again. Robert was rescued by a trick, while being conveyed to prison at Chester, and Richard was allowed to go free. In the same work (ii, 75–94) is an account by John Worthington, who became a Jesuit in 1598, of his capture and treatment by the Parliamentary soldiers in the Civil War; he died in 1652, then on parole. A younger brother Lawrence also became a Jesuit in 1599, and worked on the English mission; he was banished, but returned for a time. For these and others of the family see ibid. vii, 864, &c.
44 His children were born in Louvain; see ped. in Foley, op. cit. ii, 132. One of his sons became a priest and two daughters nuns. See Chronicle of St. Monica's, Louvain, i, 154; at the end of the volume is a pedigree of the family, and a portrait of Thomas's wife Mary Allen is also given. There are some further particulars of the family in vol. ii of the Chronicle. In 1597 two-thirds of his lands were taken into the queen's hands for his recusancy and 'contempt in going out of the land into the parts beyond the seas'; Abstract. He received a pardon on the accession of James I.
He died in 1619 holding certain messuages, &c., in Coppull of Edward Rigby by the rent of 2s. 9d. and a pair of white gloves, and others of Thomas Worthington by 2s. rent; also ½ rood of land there of the king by the 200th part of a knight's fee; with other lands. William his son was seventeen years old. Mary his wife, and younger children, Richard, Anne, and Mary, were living. Dorothy, his mother, was living at Coppull; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 172–4.
45 William Worthington obtained a general pardon on the accession of Charles I; Abstract. He was a convicted recusant in 1628; Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 167.
46 Cal. Com. for Comp. iii, 2363–5. William Worthington in 1652 asserted that he was 'not liable to sequestration save for recusancy,' but he was required to prove 'that he was not in arms when taken prisoner at Ormskirk, and that he was under power of the enemy when he maintained a man in Wigan garrison for him.' He seems to have died before June 1655.
47 Dugdale, Visit. 341. Thomas the son of William was then aged twentyeight, and had a son William, who died without issue, and was succeeded by his brother Richard.
48 The list of 'popish recusants' drawn up in 1706 by the rector of Standish contains this entry under Coppull: 'Mr. Worthington, his wife, his son, and three children. His son in prison and estate much indebted'; Trans. Hist. Soc. (new ser.), xix-xx, 248. See also Payne, Rec. Engl. Cath. 140.
Thomas Worthington (1671–1754), a son of the Thomas of 1664, Prior of the Dominican house of Bornhem, is noticed in Dict. Nat. Biog.
49 Richard Worthington (son and heir of Thomas) seems to have mortgaged the hall to Robert Holt in 1717–22; Piccope MSS. (Chet. Lib.), iii, 210, from 2nd 5th R. of Geo. I at Preston. The sale was completed in 1732 by Thomas Worthington son and heir of Richard; ibid. iii, 246, from a roll of Geo. II.
According to the pedigree in the Louvain Chronicle (cited above), Richard Worthington was outlawed as a Jacobite, and his son Thomas, having sold the estate in 1732, died at Hooton in 1742.
50 Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1836), iii, 516.
51 Ellen de Torbock in 1302, as representative of Jordan de Sankey of Whittle, who had purchased 3 acres in Worthington, claimed common of pasture against William son of Thomas de Worthington, John de Coppull and Henry de Ugnall; Assize R. 418, m. 4 d. In 1308–9 John de Chisnall, a poor man, claimed a piece of land against Ellen de Torbock, Richard her son and others; Ellen, in defence, stated that she claimed nothing but lordship; Assize R. 423, m. 1.
William Carles and Emma his wife in 1352 claimed the wardship of the heir of John de Chisnall, with lands in Whittle, Worthington and Coppull, against Hugh and Henry sons of Adam de Tyldesley; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 1, m. 5. See also Final Conc. ii, 139.
52 Edmund de Nevill claimed a messuage and two plough-lands in Worthington against Mabel de Haigh in 1318, when William de Bradshagh, William de Worthington and Ellen de Rockley put in claims; Final Conc. ii, 28. In 1279 Margaret widow of Richard son of John de 'Worlington' had claimed a tenement against Henry de Rockley and Ellen his wife; De Banco R. 29, m. 23. Joan daughter of Henry de Rockley in 1320 granted to Roger de Chisnall the lower meadow and other lands in Worthington; Standish D. (Mrs. Tempest's abstracts), no. 32.
Robert le Norreys and Maud his wife in 1325 claimed a messuage and land in Worthington; De Banco R. 258, m. 271 d.
53 Roger de Chisnall in 1341 granted 2 acres in Worthington and Coppull to Robert de Prescot, one by Crowlache and the other by the Cloughs; Add. MS. 32107, no. 379.
Robert and Isabel his wife had a son Edmund, whose son James de Prescot in 1445 claimed a messuage and lands in Coppull against Hugh de Worthington and others; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 8, m. 29b. A grant by Edmund de Prescot in 1373 of a rent from his lands in Coppull, Worthington and Eccleston in Prescot is in Add. MS. 32107, no. 367.
Richard Prescott, yeoman, died in 1631 holding messuages in Coppull, one being called 'Haultes House,' held partly of William Worthington of Worthington by a rent of 4s. and partly of Alexander Rigby of Burgh by a rent of 3s. 4d. The co-heirs were Margaret wife of Richard Crook, aged thirty; Isabel Prescott, aged twenty-seven; Elizabeth and Dorothy, daughters of Robert Wathew, aged nine and seven respectively; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxvii, no. 73. The above-named Richard Crook, who married Margaret daughter of Richard Prescott in 1630, died in 1637 holding 'Holt House' and lands in Coppull of Alexander Rigby; it had been purchased by Richard Prescott from Edmund Holt of Shevington. William Crook the son and heir was six years old; Towneley MS. C 8, 13 (Chet. Lib.), p. 255.
Some further notes of the family will be found in the accounts of neighbouring townships. Some members were benefactors to the parish church.
54 Thomas de Uggenhale paid to the subsidy in 1332; Exch. Lay Subs. 49.
Robert Ugnall was a plaintiff in 1446; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 9, m. 1b.
A settlement of messuages, &c., in Coppull, Chorley and Eccleston was made by Robert Ugnall in 1520, the remainder being to the male issue of Roger Ugnall; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 11, m. 209. The estate was claimed in 1536 by Roger Ugnall against Robert Lucas, Cecily his wife, Lawrence Pilkington and Alice his wife; Agnes the widow of Robert Ugnall was living; ibid. m. 37. Geoffrey Pilkington and Elizabeth his wife had a messuage and land in Coppull in 1565; ibid. bdle. 27, m. 94. For a suit respecting Old Ugnall in 1558 see Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), i, 289.
55 Richard Worthington of Wetshaw made complaints about breaking into his houses, waylaying him, &c., about 1443, and several members of the Wetshaw family were concerned in these and other suits; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 5, m. 2; 6, m. 2, 19b.
56 From what has been stated above it seems that Perburn was the property of Burscough Priory. The resident family seem to have taken a name from it and occur from time to time.
Hugh de Perburn of Coppull was in 1346 pardoned on going into the king's service; Cal. Pat. 1345–8, p. 122.
In 1371 Margery widow of Robert son of Robert son of Hugh de Perburn claimed dower in Coppull and Standish against Thomas son of Robert de Perburn; De Banco R. 443, m. 182 d.; 450, m. 217 d.
57 The Haydocks became tenants of Perburn. A settlement of lands in Coppull and Langtree was in 1589 made by Roger Haydock, Margaret his wife and William Haydock; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 51, m. 222. John Haydock was a freeholder in 1600; Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 245. He died in 1622, leaving a son and heir Roger, seven years old; the tenure of his land in Coppull was not known; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), iii, 314.
58 Standish D. (Mrs. Tempest's abstracts), no. 2. Richard de Charnock was the grantor; his sister Ellen had married William de Worthington. The bounds were the stream of Culmariclough, Wetlache, Burysclough and the stream of Yarrow.
59 See Gillow, Bibl. Dict. of Engl. Cath. i, 445; John Wilson, Verses and Notes, 71. The will of John Chadwick of Birkacre, 1751, shows that he had land in Chorley, Duxbury and Coppull. Two of his daughters—Mary and Anne—were then abroad; Piccope MSS. (Chet. Lib.), iii, 282, from R. 29 of Geo. II at Preston. Matthew Cragg of Burgh in 1746 gave £800 to his daughter Eleanor Maria, who married Thomas Chadwick of Burgh; ibid. (p. 284). In 1758 the executors of John Chadwick's will were Ellen Chadwick of Birkacre, widow, Thomas Chadwick of Burgh and James Chadwick of Croxteth; ibid. iii, 372. It was owned by John Thom, who died in 1891, and was succeeded by his eldest son Colonel Robert Wilson Thom.
60 In 1386 Thomas son of Richard son of Hugh de Duxbury purchased messuages and lands in Coppull, Worthington and Charnock Richard from Robert de Derby, Joan his wife, Richard the Serjeant of Walton-le-Dale and Anabilla his wife; Final Conc. iii, 27.
In the Hoghton of Hoghton inquisitions the tenure of their land in Coppull was unknown, and so in the cases of Sir John Radcliffe of Ordsall and Sir Robert Hesketh of Rufford.
James Crosse of Liverpool in 1557 held lands in Coppull of Thomas Worthington of Worthington by a rent of 4s.; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. x, no. 20.
George Aspinwall of Scarisbrick in 1559 held in Coppull and Langtree of Edward Earl of Derby and Gilbert Langtree; ibid. xi, no. 36.
Robert Werden of Clayton in 1580 held land of the lord of Coppull by a rent of 12d.; ibid. xiv, no. 71.
Edward Standish of Standish in 1610 held lands in Coppull and Worthington of Edward Rigby by 5s. 0½d. rent; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 190. Edward Langtree of Langtree in 1619 likewise held of Edward Rigby; ibid. ii, 207. Ellen Chamberlain, widow, daughter of Roger Fairclough, in 1623 held of the same; ibid. iii, 347.
Richard Lancaster of Wrightington in 1632 held of Alexander Rigby by a rent of 3d.; ibid. xxvii, no. 27. Henry Banastre also held of Rigby; ibid. xxix, no. 15.
61 Subs. R. Lancs. bdle. 130, no. 126.
62 Ibid. bdle. 131, no. 210.
63 Engl. Cath. Non-jurors, 93, 132, 130. The names are Richard Johnson of Lea, maltster; Oliver Taylor and William Taylor, yeomen.
64 Land tax returns at Preston. The principal names in 1798 were Mr. Livesey, Mr. Chadwick, Samuel Crook, James Hammerton and Edward Holt.
65 Coppull Chapel is mentioned in the early part of the reign of Henry VIII in a complaint as to illegal distress by a certain Rowland Kirkby. The constables tried to arrest him in the chapel, but were resisted; Duchy of Lanc. Plead. Hen. VIII, xxii, W 4.
In a marriage covenant between Richard Worthington of Blainscough and James Anderton in 1520 is a proviso that the former might bequeath lands at Preston to the annual value of 13s. 4d. for the use of a priest for ever to say mass in the chapel of Coppull in the parish of Standish; Worthington Abstract.
The chapel, however, does not appear to have had any endowment and is not named in the church surveys of the Tudor period.
66 The site, at Cow Moss, was known in 1650, when it was intended to build a new chapel and to form a separate parish for Coppull and the neighbourhood; Commonw. Ch. Surv. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 100.
67 Gastrell, Notitia, ii, 395. It was not consecrated in 1715, but had never been used for a Dissenters' meeting.
68 Ibid.; in the notes is printed a long account of the disputes. The curate at Standish had preached at Coppull once a month, and after the chapel had been repaired with the interest of £200 left 'to maintain an orthodox Protestant preacher,' the people desired a resident curate and subscribed for an addition to the stipend. The curate afterwards 'gave great offence by his immoral life,' and the contributions ceased. Mr. Crook, the trustee, tried to transfer his right to Lord Willoughby of Parham. He was soon afterwards killed in a duel with Captain Buckley of Buckley.
Lord Willoughby in 1733 transferred his right in the land and building to Sir Henry Hoghton, also a Presbyterian, and Sir Henry in 1764 transferred it to Samuel Crook of Whittle; Chester Dioc. Reg.
69 Gastrell, Notitia, ii, 396. The £400 from Queen Anne's Bounty, together with the £200 named in the last note, purchased the tithes of Elston in Preston parish.
70 Lond. Gaz. 16 Aug. 1842.
71 a Note by Rev. T.C Porteus.
72 The curate named in a preceding note; he was there until 1715. There is a notice of him in Preston Guardian Sketches, no. 650.
The disputes as to the patronage led to several independent nominations for the curacy. Ingham died in or before 1729, for in December of that year the king nominated Thomas Orrett 'by lapse,' and in the following January Lord Willoughby nominated John Norcross.
73 This and subsequent names are from the church papers in the Chester Diocesan Registry. Hargreaves was nominated by Sir Henry Hoghton.
74 He was also curate of Heapey. He and his successor were nominated by Samuel Crook of Whittle-le-Woods.
75 Joseph Taylor was head master of Eccleston School; he was nominated to Coppull by the rector of Standish. A Joseph Taylor was vicar of Snitterfield (Warw.) in 1802.
In reply to the Bishop of Chester in 1821 it was stated that divine service was performed twice on Sundays, with a sermon each time, also on the great festivals. The sacrament was administered quarterly. The children were catechized during the summer.
76 A monthly meeting of Quakers was held at Coppull in 1669; Visit. Papers at Chester Dioc. Reg.
It is again named about 1750 in the Life of John Griffith and is probably the 'Standish meeting' existing in 1849.