The parish of Chipping

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)

Year published

1912

Pages

20-26

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'The parish of Chipping', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 7 (1912), pp. 20-26. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53181 Date accessed: 23 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CHIPPING

Chipping; Thornley with Wheatley


Index Map of Chipping, Leagram, Aighton and Ribchester

This secluded parish, (fn. 1) still uncrossed by a railway line, lies in the hilly country between Longridge Fell on the south and Parlick and Fairsnape Fell on the north; the principal stream is the Loud, dividing the two townships as it flows north-east to join the Hodder. The area is 8,854½ acres, and the population in 1901 numbered 1,133.

The district was called Chippingdale; but this term covered a somewhat wider area than the present parish.

Few antiquities have been found, but a Roman road crossed part of Thornley.

The transference of the parish from its original hundred of Amounderness to that of Blackburn was probably a consequence of the grant of the manor to the lords of Clitheroe. Ecclesiastically it remained in the deanery of Amounderness.

It was one of the parishes laid waste by the Scots in 1322, but apart from this its story has been as peaceful and uneventful as from its out-of-the-way situation might be expected.

To the tax called the fifteenth Chipping paid 28s. and Thornley with Wheatley 17s. 6d., when the hundred paid £37 1s. 7d. (fn. 2) To the county lay of 1624 the two portions paid respectively £2 19s. 6d. and £1 17s. 2d. towards £100 levied on the hundred. (fn. 3)

In 1666 the East End of Chipping had seventyone hearths liable to be taxed and the West End forty-five, but no house had more than four hearths. In Thornley Alexander Osbaldeston's house had seven hearths and Henry Shireburne's the same; no other dwelling had more than three. (fn. 4)

The agricultural land is thus classified: arable land, 46 acres; permanent grass, 6,721; woods and plantations, 75. (fn. 4a)

Church

The church of ST. BARTHOLOMEW stands on rising ground at the north-west side of the village and consists of chancel and nave with north and south aisles, south porch, west tower and a modern vestry at the northeast corner of the north aisle. The chancel and nave are without structural division and under one roof, marked, however on the outside by a very slight difference in height, the total length being 75 ft., and are open on each side to the aisles by an arcade of five pointed arches. The east end of the chancel, which is 15 ft. wide, is inclosed north and south for a length of 7 ft. by a blank wall, and the aisles, which are unequal in width, are continued the full length of the chancel, the east wall of the building being straight and unbroken, but they stop short of the full length of the nave at the west end. The wider north aisle is under a separate gabled roof of equal height to that of the nave, but the nave roof is continued over the south aisle at a slightly flatter pitch. Both roofs are covered with stone slates and have overhanging eaves, and the walls are constructed of local rubble without plinth, but with buttresses of two stages and diagonal ones at the angles.

The church is largely an early 16th-century rebuilding of an older edifice, which, judging from the north arcade and the piscina in the chancel, seems to have been of 13th-century date. Little or nothing, however, can be said with certainty about the plan or extent of this early building, as the later reconstruction has made the architectural evidence rather elusive, but the plan suggests that the church had north and south aisles in mediaeval times and that having become dilapidated the south aisle was rebuilt about 1506 with a new spacing of the bays to which it was intended to adapt the north arcade. In the end the north arcade, however, perhaps because it was in a better state of preservation, was left more or less as it was, but the piers were largely rebuilt and new caps introduced, fragments of the older work being used up. (fn. 5) There are no traces of an ancient chancel, but if such existed eastward of the present plan it was probably destroyed before the end of the 16th century. There is, however, no evidence of this and the character of the original eastern termination can only be surmised. The 13th-century piscina in the short length of the present chancel wall is probably not in its original position, but if it is, then it is possible that the 13th-century church consisted of a nave extending only as far as the third pier of the north arcade from the east, but possibly further westward. The two west arches are wider than the others and the capital of the pier in question is of a more or less nondescript character. It is scarcely likely that the present arrangement of plan without a structural chancel is that which originally obtained. The tower is an addition or rebuilding of the early 16th century, to which period the rest of the building, where not modern, belongs. In 1702 the church is said to have been reseated, in 1754 a gallery was erected at the west end of the nave, and in 1811 a considerable amount of repairs seems to have been done. (fn. 6) Previous to 1872 the exterior was whitewashed, (fn. 7) but in that year a thorough restoration of the building was commenced, the roof being found to be dilapidated, the tower unsafe and the masonry of the windows decayed. The north and south walls and south porch were then rebuilt, the ceiling and gallery removed and the church seated with open benches. There was a partial renovation of the building in 1909.

The chancel is 25 ft. 9 in. long, occupying the two easternmost bays, but the wood screen which formerly stood in line with the second pier has disappeared, (fn. 8) and the chancel is now only differentiated from the nave by the raising of the floor and the arrangement of the seating. The east window, the mullions of which have been renewed, is of five cinquefoiled lights with hollow-chamfered jambs and external hood mould and a low elliptical-arched head without tracery. The 13th-century piscina in the south wall has a trefoiled head, edge-roll moulding and nail-head ornament, but its bowl is gone. In the north wall is a recess with pointed head, 16 in. wide, originally an opening but now built up and used as a credence. The roofs and fittings of the chancel together with those of the rest of the church are modern, the oak quire stalls being erected in 1909. The walls throughout are plastered internally.

The north arcade has five pointed arches of two chamfered orders springing from octagonal piers, 1 ft. 9 in. in diameter and 6 ft. in height to the top of the caps. The arches may be the original 13th-century ones and some parts of the caps, as already stated, are probably of this date. Three of these caps follow the section of the piers and are simply moulded with a plain square upper and rounded lower member. One of them is quite plain, but the other two are carved in the neck with, for the most part, very elementary patterns such as an unskilled carver might naturally use at any period, and are probably of the time of the 16th-century rebuilding. On two sides of the westernmost cap, however, there are representations of mediaeval tracery of a type common c. 1300, consisting of two small circles, one with quatrefoil cusping and the other of the 'rose tournante' type, and a pointed 'window' of three lights with the mullions intersecting in the head, and on the same cap a dragon also occurs. It seems likely, however, that all this work is of one date, the new capitals being carved by a workman of eclectic tastes having a general knowledge of mediaeval forms. The 'rose tournante' occurs also on the base of the font, which is of 16th-century date. The cap of the third pier from the east is a made-up one and on the east side is carved with four heads and a beak which seem to be original 13th-century work, and the west respond has also two heads apparently of equal date. The impost of the east respond, however, suggests rough work of early 16th-century type, and is evidently coeval with the patterns on the two caps to which reference has already been made. The late date of these seems clear from the introduction of a pointed 'window' as an ornament in a horizontal position, suggesting a period when mediaeval forms were copied without being understood. The south arcade consists of five pointed arches of two chamfered orders on octagonal piers 16 in. in diameter, with moulded caps and chamfered bases, 9 ft. high to the top of the caps, and spaced without reference to the piers on the opposite side. The north aisle is 70 ft. 6 in. long by 15 ft. 4 in. wide, and is lit by three square-headed windows of four trefoiled lights in the rebuilt north wall, with a modern window of three trefoiled lights at the east and an old one of four lights at the west end. The aisle extends 6 ft. 6 in. west of the arcade and formerly possessed, 'near the east end of the north wall,' a low side window about 18 in. high, 8 in. wide, and 2 ft. from the ground, (fn. 9) which was done away with in the restoration of 1872–3, when a small vestry was erected at the north end of the aisle on the north side. The organ now occupies the east end. The south aisle is 68 ft. 9 in. long and 11 ft. 4 in. wide, and is lit by four square-headed windows of three trefoiled lights in the new south wall, and by an original window of similar type at the east end, the mullions of which have been renewed. The east end of the aisle was formerly the Shireburne chapel, commonly known as the Wolfhouse quire from the name of the residence of its possessor, (fn. 10) and was separated from the rest of the church by a low wooden partition. In the restoration of 1872 a stoup was found in the wall. (fn. 11) There is a priest's door opposite the second bay from the east, the principal entrance being at the west end opposite the fifth bay. West of the door in the south wall is built a plain piscina without bowl, and there is another similar one in the west wall between the window and the arcade. The porch is of stone with gabled roof, the eaves of which come close to the ground. In its east wall is a small arched recess built into the wall. At the east end of the nave roof on the south side is a dormer window of five lights, rebuilt in 1873, with stone mullions and timber gable.

The font, which stands at the west end of the south aisle near the door, is of gritstone, octagonal in shape and of 16th-century date. On each face is a shield, three of which are carved with emblems of the Passion, and the others with the sacred monogram, the initials J. b. and other devices, one side only being blank. The stem has eight hollowed sides, and on the foot is a series of devices in Gothic letters which have been interpreted as A M G + P D T (Ave Maria Gratia Plena Dominus Tecum). (fn. 12)

The tower is 13 ft. square internally with diagonal buttresses of five stages and a vice in the south-west corner. The stages are unmarked externally by any string course and the character of the whole is very plain, the walls being of rubble and terminating in an embattled parapet with continuous moulding to merlons and embrasures and with angle pinnacles. The belfry windows are of two trefoiled lights with stone louvres but without hood moulds. On the north and south sides the walls below the belfry windows are quite plain except for a small square opening on the north and a clock on the south side, but on the west side are a pointed door with moulded jambs and head and a traceried window of three trefoiled lights and external hood mould. The tower arch is of two chamfered orders springing from moulded imposts and was opened out in 1873, the bells being rung from the floor of the church.

A modern stone pulpit replaces one of wood which had a massive canopy and was inscribed with the initials of the Rev. Thomas Clarkson, vicar, and the date 1723.

In the restoration of 1872–3 during the removal of the whitewash several painted texts were brought to light, (fn. 13) but these, with an inscription on the east face of the central pier of the north arcade, (fn. 14) have been lost.

On the face of the east respond of the south arcade is a brass (fn. 15) to the 'two wyves of Robert Parkinson of Fayresnape,' Marie daughter of Jerome Asheton, died 1611, and Anne daughter of George Singleton of Stayninge, died 1623. At the bottom of the inscription are a skull and cross-bones and these lines:—

'Theire partes theire persons and theire vertvovs lyfe Now rest in peace freed from the bond of wyfe.'

There is a tablet on the south wall of the chancel, where he is buried, to the Rev. John Milner, vicar 1739 to 1777, but the other monuments are all modern. They include a brass to the fifteenth Earl of Derby, who died in 1893.

There is a ring of six bells cast by Thomas Mears in 1793.

The plate consists of a chalice of 1601–2 inscribed round the rim 'The Comvnion cupp of ye Churche of Chyping in ye County of Lancaster 1602,' with the maker's mark R.B.; and a paten of 1876 by Elkington inscribed 'St. Bartholomew's Church, Chipping, Easter 1876.' There is also a bread-holder.

The registers begin in 1559. The first two volumes (1559–1694) have been printed. (fn. 16) The churchwardens' accounts begin in 1809. Plans of the seating 1635 to 1818 have been preserved. (fn. 17)

The churchyard, which lies principally on the south side of the church and is approached from the road by a broad flight of stone steps, was enlarged in 1863. It contains an old yew tree and a stone sundial dated 1708, inscribed with the initials of the churchwardens. The plate bears the name of Jas. Hunter, maker, Wappin, London. The oldest decipherable dated stone is 1754.

Advowson

Originally the church may have been a chapel of Preston, the rector of which place claimed the presentation in 1240 (fn. 18) ; but the right of the lord of Clitheroe, to whom the manor had been given, seems in later times to have been admitted without question, and he and his successors in title presented to Chipping. (fn. 19) Soon after the foundation of the see of Chester by Henry VIII this rectory was in 1546–7 given to the bishop by the king in exchange for certain lands, (fn. 20) and from about that time the bishop enjoyed the profits of the rectory, (fn. 21) appointing a vicar. After the establishment of the see of Manchester the patronage was transferred from Chester, and the Bishop of Manchester now collates. The income of the rectory goes to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.

At the end of the 13th century the benefice was valued at £10 13s. 4d. a year, (fn. 22) but forty years later, after the invasion of the Scots, at only £5. (fn. 23) In 1341 this was still the estimate, Chipping being responsible for 50s. and Thornley for the other 50s. (fn. 24) ; but by 1535 the estimated value had risen to £25 1s. 8d. (fn. 25) The tithes in 1650 were valued at £85 5s. a year, and there were other profits bringing the total value to over £126 'before the wars,' of which £10 went to the vicar; the officiating minister in 1650 had £60 out of the whole. (fn. 26) After the restoration of episcopacy the minister's stipend would be reduced to its old amount, but in 1720 his income was certified as £36 13s. 4d.; the vicar had also the use of the mansion or parsonage-house. (fn. 27) Grants from Queen Anne's Bounty were obtained in 1768 and later. (fn. 28) The value of the vicarage is now stated as £285.

The following have been rectors and vicars:—

Rectors
InstitutedNamePatronCause of Vacancy
c. 1230Robert (fn. 29)
29 Nov. 1240Peter the Physician (fn. 30) The King
5 Nov. 1241William Lawrence (fn. 31) "res. P. the Physician
oc. 1279Ralph de Aldburne (fn. 32)
Roger (fn. 33)
16 Mar. 1326–7Robert de LangtonQueen Isabeld. Roger
oc. 1348–58Gilbert de Marsden (fn. 34)
15 Mar. 1368–9Thomas le Wise (fn. 35) Duke of Lancaster.
oc. 1391John Exton (fn. 36)
11 June 1393William WhitewellDuke of Lancaster.
1 July 1394Robert Marshford"res. W. Whitewell
Robert Gowe
Dec. 1399John Maryden (fn. 37) The Kingres. Rt. Gowe
17 July 1421John Caton (fn. 38) "
28 Jan. 1441–2 .Lawrence Caton (fn. 39) "res. John Caton
oc. 1472–80Thomas Swift (fn. 40)
oc. 1481James Straitbarrell (fn. 41)
30 Apr. 1523Thomas Mawdesley (fn. 42)
4 Aug. 1530Thomas Westby (fn. 43)
12 Feb. 1531George Wolset, LL.D. (fn. 44)
Vicars
oc. 1562John Marsden (fn. 45)
8 Feb. 1589–90Richard Parker (fn. 46) Bp. of Chester
5 Oct. 1616William Armitstead (fn. 47) "
c. 1622John King (fn. 48) "
16 Oct. 1672Richard White, M.A. (fn. 49) "d. J. King
12 Aug. 1692Humphrey Briscoe, B.A. (fn. 50) "res. R. White
23 Dec. 1701Thomas Atherton, M.A. (fn. 51) "d. H. Briscoe
19 Aug. 1721Thomas Clarkson, M.A. (fn. 52) "res. T. Atherton
29 May 1738William Rawstorne (fn. 53) "d. T. Clarkson
19 Feb. 1738–9.John Milner, M.A. (fn. 54) "res. W. Rawstorne
11 Mar. 1778Thomas Pearce, M.A. (fn. 55) "d. J. Milner
3 Aug. 1779William Stockdale (fn. 56) "res. T. Pearce
21 Nov. 1786John Carlisle (fn. 57) "d. W. Stockdale
10 May 1807James Penny, M.A. (fn. 58) "
28 Nov. 1816Edmund Wilkinson (fn. 59) "d. J. Penny
8 Nov. 1864Richard Robinson, B.A. (fn. 60) Bp. of Manchesterd. E. Wilkinson
21 Dec. 1886John Birch Jones, B.D. (fn. 61) "res. R. Robinson
1891George Burwell, M.A. (fn. 62) Bp. of Manchesterexch. J. B. Jones
11 Oct. 1904Walter Hudson, M.A. (fn. 63) "res. G. Burwell

A chantry, St. Mary's, was founded by Thomas Mawdesley, rector 1523–30, (fn. 64) and its priest was Ralph Parker in 1535. (fn. 65) Its altar was on the north side of the church.

The free school was established under the will of John Brabin, dated 1683. (fn. 66)

There does not seem to be any record of the normal staff of clergy in this parish before the Reformation. (fn. 67) At each of the visitations of 1548 and 1554 two names are given, but probably only one was resident, and he may have been a domestic chaplain. (fn. 68) The chantry endowment had perhaps been intended partly to secure at least one resident priest. After the rectory was appropriated to the bishopric it may be presumed that the Bishops of Chester usually took care that their vicar should reside, but there is little on record about the parish. The vicar of the Commonwealth period held the benefice during all the changes; and another noteworthy incident is the hostile reception accorded by many of the people to Wesley, when John Milner, the vicar, desired him to preach at Chipping. In June 1752 Wesley and his friend the vicar returned to Chipping from an evangelizing tour, and were informed that the churchwardens and some others were consulting as to the means of preventing Wesley from preaching. After an interview they were pacified, and Wesley preached in the church without disturbance. Next year, however, several of those present stopped Wesley by force from officiating; but a large part of the congregation followed him into the vicarage after prayers, and he preached to them. (fn. 69)

The churchwardens at the visitation of 1753 presented the vicar' for disorderly behaviour in the church on Sunday the 4th of March in the time of divine service; also for absenting himself on several holydays and at divers times neglecting to read prayers as usual; likewise for introducing strange and unlicensed preachers into his pulpit, contrary to the canon.'

In 1755 it was stated that there were in the parish 136 families of Protestants and 38 of Dissenters. (fn. 70)

Charities

An inquiry into the charities was made in 1901. (fn. 71) John Brabin, the founder of the schools, also established almshouses, for which there is now an income of £107 5s., but only part of this is spent upon the six almswomen. (fn. 72) Edward Helme in 1691 gave land now producing £35 a year for the general benefit of the poor. (fn. 73) This sum and £16 10s. from another foundation (fn. 74) are distributed in money doles in the township of Chipping. For Thornley with Wheatley there is an endowment of £9 18s. a year, distributed in sheets and flannel and skirts. (fn. 75)

Footnotes

1 Sixty years ago the people were described as 'plain, homespun, dialectal, retiring, home-loving dwellers, having little and needing less'; Parkinson, Old Church Clock (ed. Evans), xvi.
2 Gregson, Fragments (ed. Harland), 19.
3 Ibid. 23.
4 Lay Subs. Lancs, bdle. 250, no. 9.
4 a Statistics from Bd. of Agric. (1905).
5 Fragments of 14th-century tracery work are said to have been discovered during the 1872–3 restoration in different parts of the building; T. C. Smith, Hist, of Chipping, 70.
6 The churchwardens' accounts show a payment in that year of £67 11s. 9½d. for repairs.
7 Glynne, Churches of Lancs. Glynne visited Chipping in 1867. The whole church was then 'out of condition' and the fittings bad.
8 Glynne in 1867 noted that 'the base of the wood screen remains across the second pier from the east, and has some original panelling.'
9 T. C. Smith, History of Chipping, 69. The illustration there given of the east end of the church, however, shows this window in the east wall of the aisle. The illustration is presumably correct.
10 Cf. T. C. Smith, Chipping, 73 (quoting Derby MSS.).
11 Smith, op. cit. 74.
12 The shields and inscription on the font are given, Gent. Mag. 1772, p. 588; but the shields are placed wrong side up, and the small letters of the inscription are placed close together instead of being separate, and are made larger than the shields. For corrections see Baines' Lancs. (Croston's edition), iv, 76, and T. C. Smith, op. cit. 73.
13 T. C. Smith, op. cit. 70.
14 It consisted of the name 'Rich. Singl(e)ton.'
15 Formerly on a flag in the floor of the central aisle; Hewitson, Our Country Churches, 537.
16 Lancs. Parish Reg. Soc. vol. xiv (1903). Transcribed by Alice Brierley.
17 T. C. Smith, Chipping, 76; the lists 1635, 1739, 1769 and 1818 are printed in full.
18 The church being then vacant the king claimed to present as guardian of the lands and heir of John de Lacy. The Prior of Lancaster claimed, but withdrew absolutely; the rector of Preston (Amery des Roches), who alleged that Chipping was only a chapel belonging to his church, withdrew his claim for a time, until the heir should be of age, it being acknowledged that the lord of Clitheroe had presented the last incumbent; Abbrev. Plac. (Rec. Com.), 110, 111.
19 In 1361 it was found that Henry Duke of Lancaster had held the advowson; Whitaker, Whalley, ii, 480, quoting Chan. Inq. p.m. 35 Edw. III, no. 122.
20 Pat. 38 Hen. VIII, pt. v, quoted in Ormerod's Ches. (ed. Helsby), i, 97.
21 The bishop appears as rector in the visitation list of 1554. He came into possession on the death of the last rector in that year.
22 Pope Nich. Tax. (Rec. Com.), 307. This 'old taxation' was made in 1292.
23 Ibid. 327; the date in the heading is 1334.
24 Inq. Nonarum (Rec. Com.), 38. The reason given for the reduction, in addition to the havoc caused by the Scots, was that in the 'new taxation' the value of the glebe and certain tithes, oblations and altarage dues had not been reckoned.
25 Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), v, 262. The mansion-house and glebe were worth 8s. a year, the tithe of grain £13, other tithes £3 10s., Easter offerings, &c., £8 3s. 8d.
26 Commonw. Ch. Surv. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 169, 196, where are given particulars of a lease made by the Bishop of Chester in 1598 at the rent of £25 1s. 8d. There were 'a fair parsonage house and about 5 acres of glebe (great measure), with liberty to get turbary, all which is valued to be worth £7 per annum.' Of the rent named £10 was paid to the vicar, to whom in 1647 the Committee of Plundered Ministers ordered £50 a year more to be paid out of the profits of the rectory, it being sequestered from Christopher Harris, 'a Papist in arms,' who enjoyed the lease in right of his wife.
It is not clear that the increase in the vicar's stipend was maintained; Plund. Mins. Accts. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 288.
27 Gastrell, Notitia Cestr. (Chet. Soc), ii, 401. The vicar's stipend was made up of £10, the old allowance from the bishop, and £21 13s. 4d. from the lessee; surplice fees amounted to £5.
28 For particulars see T. C. Smith, Chipping, 63, &c.; lands were bought in Dutton and Whittingham. Terriers of both rectory and vicarage are printed ibid.
29 Parson of Chippingdale; Lanc. Ch. (Chet. Soc), i, 165.
30 Cal. Pat. 1232–47, p. 239. The king presented in right of the heir of John de Lacy, his ward.
31 Ibid. 265. 'William the clerk of Chipping' attested a grant to Sawley; Harl. MS. 112, fol. 72b. Also another in Dilworth; Add. MS. 32106, fol. 311b. These may be earlier than 1241.
32 In 1279–80 Cecily widow of William de la Sale claimed dower in certain messuages and lands in Chipping against Ralph the parson and other people of the place; De Banco R. 28, m. 64 d.; 36, m. 45 d. In 1281 Pope Martin IV notified to the Archbishop of York that he had taken under his protection Ralph de Aldburne, priest, who had taken the cross and intended to go to the assistance of the Holy Land. In the margin of the register Ralph is described as 'former rector of Chipping'; Wickwane's Reg. (Surtees Soc.), 121.
Adam son of Thurstan the chaplain in 1292 claimed a tenement in Chipping held by Simon de Beforton, but was nonsuited; Assize R. 408, m. 42. There is nothing to show Thurstan's position.
33 This and some later names are from Torre's list of rectors; Archdeaconry of Richmond, 1825.
34 Gilbert was the son of Richard de Merclesden or Marsden. He occurs as plaintiff or defendant from 1348 onwards; De Banco R. 354, m. 399; 360, m. 37; &c. He was in 1350 charged with the abduction of William son and heir of John de Marsden; ibid. 363, m. 78 d.
35 The date of presentation is from Raines MSS. (Chet. Lib.), xxii, 387. Thomas le Wise, rector of Chipping, is mentioned inapleadingof 1373; De Banco R. 452, m. 113. Also in a fine of 1375; Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 188–9. Again in the following year he was charged with detaining a box containing charters; DeBanco R. 462, m. 136.
36 He had a dispensation from illegitimacy, enabling him to be ordained and hold a benefice, and this was extended by Boniface IX in 1391 to enable him to hold three benefices, &c.; Cal. Papal Letters, iv, 387.
37 Raines MSS. xxii, 395. The king presented as Duke of Lancaster. It may be noted that a Robert Gowe, king's clerk, was in 1399 presented to the rectory of Wigston and in the following year to a canonry at Windsor; Cal. Pat. 1399– 1401, pp. 154, 356. Torre gives his successor's name as Marmyon.
38 Raines MSS. xxii, 397.
39 Ibid. 409. The feoffees of King Henry (as Duke of Lancaster) presented. John Caton resigned Chipping for the vicarage of Longford (dio. Lichfield), which Lawrence Caton vacated.
Two 'chaplains' occur in the 15th century, viz. Thomas Mawdesley in 1427 and Richard Smethes in 1447; Cal. Pat. 1422–9, p. 365; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 10, m. 42.
40 He was in 1472 summoned to answer Hugh Radcliffe regarding a claim for £8 13s. 4d.; Pal. of Lanc. Writs Proton. 1 Aug. 12 Edw. IV. In 1480 the Abbot of Whalley claimed £40 from him; Add. MS. 32108, no. 1464.
41 Acting as trustee he was described as 'chaplain' in 1479 and as 'rector of Chipping' in 1481; Kuerden MSS. iii, H 3. He held various other benefices, including the rectory of St. Mary-by-theCastle, Chester, 1506–23; Earwaker, St. Mary's, 79.
There are full accounts of the rectors and vicars from this time in T. C. Smith's Chipping, 84–108. Several particulars in the following notes have been taken from that work.
The next presentation to the rectory was in 1515 granted to James Worsley; L. and P. Hen. VIII, ii (1), 1157.
42 There was formerly an inscription on one of the church windows, asking for prayers for the soul of Master Thomas Mawdesley, founder of the chantry, and his parents, dated 1530; Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), ii, 132.
43 He held various other benefices and was one of the king's chaplains (Smith), and became Archdeacon of York 1540–3; Le Neve, Fasti, iii, 134.
44 This name may be Wolfet or Wolflet; he is noticed further under Ribchester, of which parish he became rector in 1543.
At the visitation of 1554 the bishop was recorded as parson, and a 'Thomas Manstem' (?), beneficed elsewhere, seems to have been in charge.
45 Alias Marston. Little is known of this vicar, recorded at the visitation of 1562, when he appeared but did not subscribe. He may be identical with the above-named 'T. Manstem.' The will of 'Sir John Marsden, clerk, vicar of Chipping,' was proved at Chester in 1588. An abstract is given by T. C. Smith (op. cit.); it names 'John Parker alias Marsden, my bastard son.'
46 Act Bk. at Chester, fol. 18b. No first-fruits were paid by the vicars, but the institutions have, when possible, been compared with those in the Institution Books (P.R.O.), as printed in Lancs. and Ches. Antiq. Notes. See also Baines, Lancs. (ed. Croston), iv, 79.
Richard Parker, son of Reynold Parker of Greystonelee in Bowland, copied the early volume of the registers, in which his own baptism (1563) is recorded. He was Dean of Amounderness, but was described as 'no preacher' in 1590, and again about 1610; S. P. Dom. Eliz. xxxi, 47; Hist. MSS. Com. Rep. xiv, App. iv, 9.
In 1610 it was returned that Richard Parker, vicar, had 'but one benefice of 40s. by year, and no vicarage house'; Chester Consistory Ct. Papers.
47 Act Bk. at Chester, fol. 63. The name is otherwise given as Armitsdale. Nothing seems to be known of him, but the baptism of Margaret daughter of William Armistead is recorded 8 Apr. 1628.
48 His name occurs in the registers from 1625. His burial on 23 Sept. 1672 is thus recorded: 'John King, clerk, minister of God's word at Chipping for fifty years last past departed this life September the twenty-second Anno Dom. 1672 and was buried in the south side of the chancel in the parish church of Chipping aforesaid.'
In 1624 John King paid £4. 8s. to the clerical subsidy for Chipping, possibly as agent of the Bishop of Chester; Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 81.
He accepted the Presbyterian discipline without hesitation, for in 1646 he was a member of the third classis; Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1868), i, 227. In 1650 he was commended as 'an able, orthodox divine'; Commonw. Ch. Surv. 170. He seems to have conformed as readily in 1662, remaining at Chipping till his death.
The inventory of his goods (Smith, op. cit. 91–2) shows a considerable farming stock, but no books.
49 Educated at Emmanuel Coll., Camb.; M.A. 1675. Was appointed to Whalley in 1694, and died in 1703.
50 Educated at Jesus Coll., Camb.; B.A. 1689. His will was proved at Richmond in 1702.
51 Educated at Trin. Coll., Camb.; M.A. 1698. He was promoted to the rectory of Aughton near Ormskirk in 1721 (q.v.)
52 Educated at Queen's Coll., Oxf.; M.A. 1714. He became rector of Heysham in 1735. At Chipping he had quarrels with his parishioners. He published some books, one being a treatise on confirmation. He seems to be the 'Mr. Kelly, High Church parson,' of a local squib of which a full account is printed in Smith's Chipping, 171–8.
53 Resigned on being promoted to the rectory of Badsworth, Yorks.
54 Educated at Jesus Coll., Camb.; M.A. 1745. He was a friend and fellow worker of John Wesley, and frequently mentioned in his diaries. He was also one of the king's preachers in Lancashire.
55 Educated at Oriel Coll., Oxf.; M.A. 1771; D.D. 1793; Foster, Alumni. He became prebendary of Chester, rector of Coddington, and then of West Kirby, and sub-dean of the Chapel Royal.
56 He was also curate of Samlesbury, where he resided. He was a king's preacher.
57 He was also master of Brabin's School and king's preacher. In 1790 there were 'three Sacrament days' yearly; T. C. Smith, op. cit. 66.
58 Educated at Brasenose and Hertford Colls., Oxf.; M.A. 1784; Foster, Alumni. In 1809 he was appointed vicar of Preston (q.v.), and retained both benefices till death.
59 'A man of considerable power and influence, an able preacher, and deservedly esteemed by his parishioners'; Croston in Baines' Lancs. iv, 81. He was also master of the free school from 1817 to 1837.
60 Educated at St. Bees; B.A. at Trinity Coll., Dublin, 1867. Preferred to the vicarage of Carlton on Trent in 1886.
61 Educated at Lampeter; B.D. 1889. Exchanged Chipping for All Saints', West Gorton, in 1891.
62 Educated at St. John's Coll., Camb.; M.A. 1874. Previously rector of All Saints', Gorton.
63 Educated at Exeter Coll., Oxf.; M.A. 1898. Previously rector of St. Cyprian's, Ordsall.
64 Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), ii, 131–2.
65 Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), v, 263. The revenue was only 38s. 4d. There seem to have been disputes later regarding the lands, between Hoghton and Shireburne; Ducatus, loc. cit.; i, 152. This chantry is not mentioned by Raines, who gives Ralph Parker as chantry priest at Singleton Chapel in 1547.
The lands of the chantry were sold to Sir John Parrott in 1555–6; Pat. 2 & 3 Phil. and Mary, pt. viii.
66 End. Char. Rep. (1902). For the founder and his family see Smith, op. cit. 140. 'James Remington late schoolmaster at Chipping' was buried there 15 Sept. 1675.
67 The rector of Chipping was admonished for not residing in 1444; Raines MSS. xxii, 373, 375.
68 Visit, returns at Chester.
69 Wesley's Journal, quoted in Baines' Lancs. (ed. Croston), iv, 80.
70 Visit Returns.
71 It was printed in 1902, the report of 1826 being re-issued with it. The following details are derived from it.
72 John Brabin in 1683 bequeathed to trustees messuages called Goose Lanc House and Waller tenement for his charities, and in the following year the trustees bought land called Brow Spring and there built the school and almshouses. Woodstow House was bought in 1686 as part of the endowment and Woodscales in Thornley in 1690. The school was for the poor children of Chipping, Thornley and Leagram; the poor to be assisted from the other funds were those of Chipping, Thornley and Bleasdale. The present gross income of the combined charities is £259, but most goes to the school.
The almshouses consist of a twostoried stone building divided into three tenements, each of which is occupied by two women, appointed by the trustees. Each woman receives £2 8s. a quarter and as much coal as she requires. No doles have recently been given to poor housekeepers. 'The population of Chipping is decreasing and there are practically no poor in the township.'
73 The estate was the messuage and land he had on Helmeridge (Elmridge), now known as Richmond's Farm.
74 Edward Harrison in 1671 left £30, the interest to be distributed to poor people in the parish of Chipping Church on 21 December in each year. Richard Lund alias Cragg in 1676 left another £30 for like uses, and Henry Barnes in 1696 bequeathed the residue of his personal estate (£37 5s.) likewise. Lund's gift was for the parish of Chipping, the others for the township only. Thomas Walbanck in 1732 left £10 for an annual sermon at Chipping Church, and £15 each for such poor of Chipping and Leagram as should attend the sermon. Marsden's tenement was purchased with the combined fund in 1767. The property now owned by the charity consists of the Malt-kiln estate, five cottages which used to be the workhouse, and a cottage and smithy; the gross rent is £17. A sum of 10s. is paid to the vicar for the annual sermon, and the rest is distributed in doles of from 1s. to 25s.
Alice Webster in 1742 left £18 for poor householders of Chipping and Leagram, and her brother James added £2. This was lost between 1826 and 1862, by the bankruptcy of a trustee, as it was supposed.
75 A fund of £220 existed in 1812, chiefly derived from gifts by William Wright (1711), £160, and Richard Lund (as above), £7 10s. The capital is in Lord Derby's hands.