||The Chester brook or Castel brook
named in some of the local charters probably commemorates the Roman citadel;
see V.C.H. Lancs, ii, 519; also Watkin,
Roman Lancs.; Shortt in T. C. Smith,
Ribchester; Garstang, Roman Ribchester;
Trans. Hist. Soc. (new ser.), xvii, 189;
xviii, 197; Lancs, and Ches. Antiq. Soc.
vii, 229; xvii, 235.
Britannia (cd. 1695), 750.
||About 1350 'the Sigrop clough between Ribchester and Hothersall' was
the division between Amoundemess and
Blackburnshire'; Farrer, Lancs. Pipe R.
||In the time of pestilence 1349–50
the Archdeacon of Richmond alleged that
100 men and women had died in the
parish of Ribchester, and he was allowed
probate dues amounting to 33s. 4d.;
Engl. Hist. Rev. v, 529.
Itin. iv (1), 22.
||T. C. Smith, Ribchester, 60–5, gives
details and lists of names for the 17th
||a Statistics from Bd. of Agnc. (1905).
||T. C. Smith, Ribchester, 73.
||Gregson, Fragments (ed. Harland),
||Smith, op. cit. 160–73. A petition
for exemption from serving on the
Twenty-four, sent in by John Ward of
Hothersall in 1639, is printed in Pal.
Note Bk. iii, 43.
||Lay Subs. Lancs, bdle. 250, no. 9.
Downing to Alston Moor, 92–100.
||Churchwardens' accounts quoted by
T. C. Smith, Hist, of Ribchester, 92–9.
'1685. For beautifying the church,
£3 10s. 1686. Pd to ye masons for
hewne work and for waiting and getting
stones, £3 3s. 10d. 1711. For beautifying the church, £3.'
||These two modern windows had been
'recently erected' in 1869; W. A.
Waddington, Sketches on the Calder and
||This stone is mentioned as being in
the chancel in 1877 (Dobson's Rambles
by the Ribble, ii, 108), but Mr. Smith says
that in 1890 it was 'nowhere visible'
(Hist, of Ribchester, 205). Canon Raines
in 1850 speaks of it as in the north
chapel; Notitia Cestr. (Chet. Soc. xxii),
||In the windows were formerly
memorials of John Talbot and Isabel hie
wife, and of Thomas Lenox (Lynalx)
and Elizabeth his wife, together with the
Lynalx arms; Whitaker, Whalley (ed.
Nicholls), ii, 459 n.
||T. C. Smith, Ribchester, 104. The
clock was placed in the tower in 1813,
but one had been there from 1650 or
||Vol. xxvi, 1906. Transcribed and
edited by J. Arrowsmith.
||Many items are extracted by T. C.
||Gastrell, Notitia Cestr. (Chet. Soc),
ii, 471; Smith, op. cit. 214–19, who
states that the founder, Bradley Hayhurst
of Dutton, was curate of Macclesfield
1671–82 (Earwaker, East Ches. ii, 505),
and died about 1685.
||In a grant of the moiety of Ribchester made by Robert de Lacy before
1193 the 'gift of the church of the same
town' was expressly reserved to the
grantor; Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and
Ches.), ii, 185.
||See the account of the rectors.
||Pat. 38 Hen. VIII, pt. v; Ormerod,
Ches. (ed. Helsby), i, 97.
||The vicar's stipend was 20 marks.
||The patronage was transferred to the
Bishop of Manchester in 1859; Lond.
Gaz. 5 Aug.
Pope Nich. Tax. (Rec. Com.), 307.
Inq. Nonarum (Rec. Com.), 38.
The township of Ribchester contributed
£4 16s. 8d., Alston the same, and Dutton
£7. 6s. 8d. The apparent decrease of
value was attributed in part to the
omission of the tithe of hay, &c, and
other dues belonging to the altarage of
the church, £4 in all, but chiefly to the
destruction caused by the Scots, owing to
which ten fewer ploughs were used in the
Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), v, 262.
The house and glebe accounted for
£8 5s. 10d., the tithes of corn £20,
other tithes £2 16s., Easter dues, &c,
£8 13s. 8d. The outgoings came to 6s.
only, for procurations and synodals.
Commanw. Ch. Surv. (Rec. Soc.
Lancs, and Ches.), 168. A detailed
survey of the house and glebe lands is
printed ibid. 197–202. Some more
profitable arrangement seems to have
been made, for in 1656 an allowance of
£70 a year out of the tithes was ordered
to be made to the incumbent; Plund.
Mins. Accts. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.),
ii, 130, 152, 207.
||In 1659 it was ordered that £60
should be paid to the vicar out of the
tithes; ibid, ii, 288.
Notitia Cestr. (Chet. Soc), ii, 471.
The sum was made up of the 20 marks
paid by the bishop, the Dutton tithes
£13, small tithes £9 12s., and surplice
There were five churchwardens, one
chosen by the vicar out of three nominated
to him, and the other four by the
'Twenty-four men' of their respective
quarters. The clerk was chosen by the
heir of Hoghton Tower.
A list of Easter dues and surplice fees
in 1682 is printed in Smith, op. cit. 90–1.
In a lease of the rectory granted by
Bishop Gastrell in 1724 it is stated that
the tithes of Dutton were reserved towards
the maintenance of the vicar of Ribchester; Chester Consistory Ct. Rec
Notitia, loc. cit.
||The benefice was declared a rectory
in 1867; Lond. Gaz. 1 Mar. The usual
style of the incumbent is 'rector of Ribchester and vicar of Stidd.'
Manch. Dioc. Dir.
||He attested an early grant of part of
Hothersall; Add. MS. 32106, no. 19
Ellis the clerk of Ribchester occurs
early in the 13th century; Whalley Couch.
(Chet. Soc), iii, 870; Final Conc. i, 51.
||In 1246 it was recorded that Drogo
rector of Ribchester had been drowned
from a horse in the Ribble, accidentally,
as was supposed. The horse was drowned
also, and 18d., the value of its hide, must
be paid to the sheriff; Assize R. 404,
In 1243, perhaps after the death of
Drogo, the king (in right of his ward,
Edmund de Lacy) claimed the right to
present to the church of Ribchester, then
vacant, the other claimants being the
'Prior of Dutton' and Walter Moton.
The prior, no doubt the master of Stidd,
said he claimed nothing in the advowson;
Cur. Reg. R. 131, m. 18, 17.
Cal. Pat. 1232–47, p. 420. He was
a relative of the king's, who presented in
right of his ward, and had many preferments; see the account of Preston
Church and Cal. Papal Letters, i, 224.
He was in minor orders only; ibid. 242.
Cal. Pat. 1232–47, p. 484. In
1246 the advowson was in the king's
hands by reason of the wardship of Edmund de Lacy, and was worth 40 marks
yearly; Assize R. 404, m. 20 d. The
rector is named as 'Imbert.'
Josce the clerk of Ribchester occurs in
1258–9; Originalia, 43 Hen. III, m. 6.
He is several times mentioned in local
charters. Hawise, his -widow, claimed
an oxgang of land in the vill in 1282;
De Banco R. 45, m. 70 d.
||Robert de Pocklington, parson of the
church of Ribchester, claimed land in
Dilworth in 1292; Assize R. 408, m. 63,
18 d. Letters of protection were given
him in 1294; Cal. Pat. 1292–1301,
p. 123. In 1305 he claimed land against
Robert Moton; De Banco R. 153,
m. 317 d. Robert, rector of the church
of Ribchester, attested a local deed; Add.
MS. 32106, no. 275.
Cal. Pat. 1324–7, p. 204. The
name is also spelt Burstwick. The king
presented by reason of the forfeiture of
Thomas Earl of Lancaster. The new
rector was one of the king's clerks.
Henry de Haydock, another king's clerk,
was picsented in 1331, but Robert de
Bmstwick showed that he had been duly
presented by Edward II, and was allowed
to retain the benefice; ibid. 1330–4,
pp. 82, 102.
||At Michaelmas 1333 Robert de
Brustwick, rector of Lamley, claimed a
sum of money from Thomas Trayley,
rector of Ribchester. The latter was also
sued by Simon de Westhalum, chaplain;
De Banco R. 296, m. 402 d. There had
perhaps been an exchange of benefices.
In 1336 Thomas Trayley received pardon
for an outlawry, Cal. Pat. 1334–8,
||Ibid. p. 550. The new rector had
been rector of Little Canfield (Essex),
in the diocese of London, Trayley
taking his place there. The lordship of
Clitheroe was held by Queen Isabella, and
Palmer was one of her clerks. He received in 1333 a papal provision of a
canonry and prebend at Bosham; Cal.
Papal Letters, ii, 387–8.
||He was a prebendary of York in
1347–9; Le Neve, Fasti, iii, 217,
Cal. Pat. 1343–5, p. 128; the new
rector had had Kippax, in the diocese of
York, which Woodhouse took. The
date given is that of presentation; Wakefield is said to have been instituted on
10 Nov.; Smith, Ribchester, 139. In
1331, at the request of Joan queen of
Scotland, whose clerk he was, the pope
provided him to a canonry at Lichfield,
but he was to resign Kippax. The provision was renewed in 1332; Cal. Papal
Letters, ii, 350, 356.
As William de Wakefield, rector of the
church of Ribchester, he granted to John
de Osbaldeston, chaplain, a part of his
land in the vill, lying in the lower part
of the croft he had received from John
Banastre; Add. MS. 32106, no. 261.
Cal. Pat. 1348–50, p. 469. The
new rector, one of the king's clerks,
exchanged the rectory of Wootton, Lincoln
diocese, for Ribchester. He was afterwards rector of St. Michael's-on-Wyre,
and receiver for the Duke of Lancaster.
He occurs as rector of Ribchester down
to Jan. 1364–5, so that there is no break
in the succession at this point; De Banco
R. 419, m. 180.
||Raines MSS. (Chet. Lib.), xxii, 387.
One of this name was prebendary of
York and Lincoln later in the century;
||John de Lincoln in 1374 exchanged
Ribchester for Long Leadenham, in Lincoln diocese, with John de Yerdeburgh,
who was presented to Ribchester on
18 Dec. 1374; Duchy of Lanc. Misc.
Bks. xiii, fol. 47. It is unlikely that he
was instituted, for he almost immediately
accepted Stoke, in Staffordshire, and
Lambert de Thirkingham was presented
on 21 Jan. 1374–5; ibid.
||In Whitaker's Whallty (ii, 462)
William de Bolton is said to have been
instituted on 27 Feb. 1367, but there
must be some mistake in the date.
||Raines MSS. (Chet. Lib.) xxii, 393;
the Archdeacon of Richmond was to have
£12 as first-fruits. Henry IV in Dec.
1399 ratified the estate of John Farmer,
king's clerk, in the rectory of Ribchester;
Cal. Pat. 1399–1401, p. 101. The name
is also spelt Fermer.
Boniface IX in 1397 appointed John
Farmer, rector of Ribchester, to the
prebend of Prees, in Lichfield Cathedral,
if he should be found fit; Cal. Papal
Letters, v, 84. In 1405 Innocent VII
extended an indult granted to Rector
Farmer the year before; while he should
be serving the Bishop of Norwich (whose
registrar he was), studying at the
university, or residing at the Roman
court, he might farm out his benefices,
&c.; ibid, vi, 8, 285. John 'Fermer'
was prebendary of Wolvey, in Lichfield
Cathedral, in 1398, probably in exchange
for Prees; Le Neve, Fasti, i, 640.
||John Moor, rector, was the feoffee
of Sibyl widow of Sir Roger de Fulthorp
in Aug. 1408; Towneley MS. DD, no.
2025. He seems to have been resident,
as he is similarly mentioned several
times; e.g. Final Conc. iii, 84; Towneley
MS. C 8, 13, p. 602 (1415).
||Raines MSS. xxii, 395.
In 1420 Richard Coventry was rector
of Benefield (Northants), in the diocese
of Lincoln, and obtained a plenary indulgence; Cal. Papal Letters, vii, 336,
||Raines MSS. loc. cit. This rector
seems to have been resident, as his name
frequently occurs in local deeds, &c.; e.g.
Final Conc. iii, 112.
He and William Clifton in 1429
claimed a debt against Richard Walmsley
of Ribchester; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 2,
m. 9b. John Elswick, rector of Ribchester, was a feoffee of lands in Chaigley
in Apr. 1468; Add. MS. 32108, T
||In 1468 there was an inquiry as to
the patronage, which was claimed by
Edmund and Richard Talbot under a
grant from the Crown in reward of services
rendered to Richard Earl of Salisbury.
The king had presented the last rector,
to whom a pension of £20 was allowed
on account of his decrepitude; Raines
MSS. xxii, 385 (from registers of Archd.
of Richmond). In an act of resumption
in 1467 the grant to the Talbots was
specially reserved; Parl. R. v, 599.
William Talbot graduated in the canon
law at Cambridge, bachelor in 1470 and
doctor in 1475–6; Grace Book A (Luard
Mem.), 83, 111. He obtained a prebend
at York in 1480 and another at Southwell in 1485; he was buried at the latter
church in 1498, his monument still
remaining; Le Neve, Fasti, iii, 189,
||Smith, op. cit. 141. Crombleholme
resigned the rectory on a pension, but
died soon afterwards, intestate, when his
administrators began a suit against the
Abbot of Whalley; Duchy Plead. (Rec.
Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), i, 201. The abbot
was liable as surety for William Clayton,
the succeeding rector, and alleged that
the covenants had been fulfilled.
||The king in 1520 granted the next
presentation to John Veysey (Bishop of
Exeter) and Sir Edward Belknap; Duchy
of Lanc. Misc. Bks. xxii, 229 d. On
Crombleholme's resignation the bishop,
as surviving trustee, presented one
Thomas Brerewood, and complained that
William Clayton unjustly hindered his
obtaining possession; Pal. of Lanc.
Plea R. 142, m. 2 d.
The new rector (D. Can. Law, 1528;
Foster, Alumni Oxon.) held various
benefices and dignities, including Windermere, Doncaster and Bromfield Churches,
and canonries at Lichfield and York; Le
Neve, Fasti, i, 627; iii, 193; L. and P.
Hen. VIII, v, 608, 700. He died 14
Oct. 1532, and it appears that Edmund
Bonner was recommended as his successor
at Ribchester; ibid, v, 604, 687. A
letter from Clayton to Cromwell is at
the P.R.O.; ibid, iv, 2248.
||Thomas Thirlby (Trinity Hall,
Cambridge, LL.D. 1528) had many
preferments, becoming successively Bishop
of Westminster (1540), Norwich (1550)
and Ely (1554); Le Neve, Fasti. He
had complied with the religious changes
of the time, but in 1559 refused to
abandon Roman communion and was
deprived by Elizabeth. Thenceforward
he lived a prisoner with Archbishop
Parker, dying at Lambeth in 1570. See
Dict. Nat. Biog.; Cooper, Athen. Cantab.
He had a dispute with his lessees of
the rectory of Ribchester in 1542; Duchy
Plead, ii, 160.
||Act Bk. at Chester 1502–76, fol.
12b. He was also rector of Chipping.
His name is uncertain, being given also
as Wolfet or Wolflet. He was educated
at Oxford (M.A. 1512, as Welsett or
Wylsett; Foster, Alumni), was rector of
St. Olave, Hart Street, London, in 1518
to 1528, and became clerk of the king's
closet in 1537; he had other benefices
and was a canon of Salisbury; see the
account by T. C. Smith, Chipping, 85–6.
His will, dated 1553, was proved at
York in 1554; an abstract is given by
Raines, Chantries (Chet. Soc), 195–6.
Gilbert Wicks obtained a presentation
to the rectory in 1540, but it does not
appear to have been acted upon; L. and P.
Hen. VIII, xv, g. 1027 (20).
||No first-fruits were paid by the
vicars. James Lingard's name appears
in the visitation list of 1562 and again
in 1570. He was one of the old clergy,
having been ordained in 1546–7; Chester
Ordin. Bk. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.),
||Smith, Ribchester, 143. Some later
dates are taken from the same work,
which contains a full account of the
vicars. Alsop's name occurs in Jan.
1573–4; Raines MSS. (Chet. Lib.),
||Act Bk. at Chester. The Bishop of
Chester had in 1572 granted the next
presentation to Bernard Anderton, his
servant, and another, who transferred it
to John Whitaker. In Raines MSS.
xxii, p. 350, will be found a record of the
proceedings against Norcross in 1614–15.
He was charged with having obtruded
himself into the 'parish' of Stidd, and
with being a drunkard, ale-house keeper,
gambler, &c. He was deprived or
degraded, but continued to live at Ribchester, being buried there 14 Aug. 1623.
In 1590 he was described as 'no
preacher'; S. P. Dom. Eliz. xxxi, 47.
||Act Bk. at Chester 1579–1676, fol.
64b. He became one of the chaplains
or curates at the Collegiate Church, Manchester, and was buried there 22 Aug.
1623. From the presentments at one
of the visitations it appears that he was
unable to obtain possession of the vicaragehouse at Ribchester.
||From this time the institutions have
been compared with the Institution Books
P.R.O. as printed in Lancs, and Ches.
Christopher Hindley (or Hindle—
Hynde in Act Bk.) was of Cowell or
Cowhill in Rishton. At first he 'could
not peaceably enjoy the vicarage,' apparently owing to the opposition of Norcross, who also detained a communion
cup; Visit. P. of 1619 at Chester Dioc.
Reg. Though not a member of the
classis, he continued to minister at Ribchester after the establishment of Presbyterianism, until violently ejected from
his pulpit in 1649 while denouncing the
execution of Charles I. He then retired
to Cowhill, where he died in 1657; Loc.
Glean. Lancs, and Ches. i, 34, &c.
It was probably the execution of
Charles I which roused the vicar to
resistance, for in 1646 the Parliamentary
Committee ordered an increase of £40 in
his stipend, and as late as May 1649
directed payment of arrears; but in the
following month the increase was suspended on account of accusations of
'notorious misdemeanours'; Plund. Mins.
Accts. i, 70, 72. In 1650 it was found that
'the present incumbent, Mr. Christopher
Hindley,' had been 'lately suspended by
order from the provincial assembly of
divines for this county, but for what
cause the presenters know not'; Commonw.
Ch. Surv. 169. Thus he had not then
||William Ingham, who was considered
a 'diligent, painful minister,' occurs at
Church (1646), Goosnargh (1650) and
Shireshead (1652); Commonw. Ch.
Surv. 155; Plund. Mins. Accts. i, 119.
He was not recommended as 'settled
minister' of Ribchester until 1656, so
that the account of his conduct given by
his Royalist successor has no doubt been
exaggerated; ibid, ii, 151. The first
baptism by him was on 23 Nov. 1656;
Reg. He seems to have been a Presbyterian and signed the 'Harmonious Consent' in 1648, but conformed at the
Restoration, retaining the benefice till his
death in 1681. For his will see Smith,
op. cit. 150.
||Educated at Jesus Coll., Camb.; M.A.
1668. His epitaph describes him as
'fellow' of his college and B.D.; the
former statement is erroneous. He built
a vicarage-house in 1682. He was elected
fellow of Manchester in 1681 and retained
this with his vicarage till his death in
1706 at Manchester. In 1692 the
Bishop of Chester (Stratford) wrote to
him asking whether he intended to reside
at Ribchester or to resign it; see Loc.
Glean. Lancs, and Ches. ii, 4 and the
account of him in Raines, Fellows of
Manch. (Chet. Soc), 183–8. At Ribchester he collected the antiquities found
||Educated at Brasenose Coll., Oxf.;
B.A. 1692; Foster, Alumni. He was
non-resident in 1734, but was buried at
Ribchester in 1738.
||Educated at University Coll., Oxf.,
but did not graduate; Foster, Alumni.
He was rector of Marton, a family living,
1728 to 1775, and did not reside at Ribchester; Whitaker, Craver. (ed. Morant),
95. In 1739 the vicar was also 'chaplain to his Majesty's invalids at Portsmouth'; Visit. Returns. Reginald Heber,
the poet, was his nephew.
||–8 He was appointed one of the king's
preachers in Lancashire in 1786. He was
also curate of Walton-le-Dale, where
there is a tablet to his memory.
||He had been curate of Ribchester for
twenty-two years before being appointed
vicar. He is said to have been drowned
in the Ribble; Smith, op. cit. 156.
||Baines, Lancs. (ed. Croston), iv, 103.
||Educated at Peterhouse, Camb.;
B.A. 1818. On his appointment, he
being 'an Evangelical and active clergyman,' the Congregationalists gave up their
services; Nightingale, Lancs. Nonconf.
ii, 113. He 'was in many respects
a model parson, and was highly esteemed
by his parishioners, although it is to be
regretted that the old parish library was
allowed to become gradually dispersed,
and the numerous Roman antiquities discovered during his incumbency to be irrecoverably scattered'; Smith, op. cit. 157.
||Educated at Trinity Coll., Dublin;
M.A. 1848. 'He succeeded in accomplishing many urgently needed reforms'; ibid.
||Educated at Trinity Coll., Camb.;
M.A. 1873. Rector of Bispham 1876–85.
||Educated at St. Bees. Vicar of Christ
Church, Pendlebury, 1881–92.
||In a purely local deed of 1423
William Wile and Robert Whittingham,
chaplains, were trustees, while John Elswick, the rector, and Thomas Sedill,
chaplain, were witnesses; Towneley MS.
DD, no. 1234.
||The details given are from the visitation lists at Chester.
||Augm. Off. Misc. Bks. clxxx, m. 22.
||James Moor; he had been there in
||Viz. the vicar's name.
||There is, for instance, no sign of an
assistant—either lecturer or schoolmaster
—in the clerical subsidy lists, 1620–39,
in Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i,
||See the account of Longridge.
||Ogden himself and several other
vicars were non-resident, but from 1682
there seems usually to have been a resident curate at Ribchester and another at
Longridge from about 1700. There is a
list in Smith, op. cit. 158–9. William
Felgate, the curate in 1689, was 'conformable' to the government; Hist. MSS.
Com. Rep. xiv, App. iv, 230.
||Add. MS. 32106, no. 175.
||John del Lee, smith, gave a rent of
6d., charged on his lands, to God, St.
Mary of Ribchester and all Saints and to
the chaplain perpetually singing at the
altar of our said Lady St. Mary in the
church of Ribchester. Should the rent
fall into arrears the 'governor or parochial
chaplain or procurator' of the church
might distrain; ibid. no. 317.
Among the Shireburne deeds was a
bond sealed in 1545 in the parish church
of Ribchester before our Lady's altar;
Shireburne Abstract Bk.
||The writ of Inq. a.q.d. was issued
in July 1406, but the inquiry did not take
place till a year later. It was then
reported that it was not to the king's loss
that Sir Richard Hoghton should assign
to the chaplain of the perpetual chantry
in honour of the B. V. Mary in a certain
chapel on the north side of the parish
church of Ribchester various messuages,
lands and rents in Ribchester, Chipping,
Goosnargh, Hothersall and Aighton, in
part satisfaction of £10 granted by Sir
Richard to the chaplain in virtue of the
king's licence. In Ribchester nine messuages, 41 acres, &c., were held of
Katherine Lynalx by a rent of 17¼d., and
7 acres of pasture were held of Robert
Townley by 2s. rent; Inq. a.q.d. file 438,
The royal licence referred to was given
in May 1406; the chaplain was to celebrate for the good estate of the king and
Sir Richard Hoghton, for the souls of
their ancestors and others (including John
de Osbaldeston and William Moton,
chaplains); Add. MS. 32106, no. 364.
The grant of the lands by Katherine
widow of William Lynalx, lady of Ribchester, is in Kuerden's fol. MS. p. 247.
The lands of the chantry seem at a
little earlier date (1397) to have been held
by the above-named William Moton;
Add. MS. 32106, no. 455 (fol. 323).
||Raines, Chantries (Chet. Soc.), 196–9.
There was no plate. The field-names
recorded include Hichough, Bankheys,
Stonyfurlong, Withinlache, Priestmeadow,
Orley, Atough, the pasture called Eyerley
and Avergate. The quit-rents payable
for Ribchester lands were 16d. to Sir
Richard Hoghton for Atough and 2s. 6d.
to Robert Lynalx for the third part of
It should be noticed that in 1535 the
gross income was returned as £4 13s. 4d.
only; 3s. 9d. was due to the king for
puture; Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), v, 263.
||Add. MS. 32106, no. 365. Sir
Richard Hoghton appointed, and the right
of presentation remained with his descendants. The advowson of the chantry of
Dutton at Ribchester was one of the
rights of Alexander Hoghton in 1498;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iii, no. 66.
Robert Whittingham was still chaplain in
1443; Add. MS. 32106, no. 341.
||Raines MSS. xxii, 399; Henry
||In 1487 John son and heir of Thomas
Blackburn released to Ellis Crombleholme,
chaplain of the perpetual chantry of
B. Mary on the north side of Ribchester
Church, all right in certain lands, part
lying between the house of St. Saviour at
Stidd and Chester Brook and part in Ribchester Eyes, called the Crookedroyds;
Add. MS. 32106, no. 310. This grant
was followed by an arbitration; ibid. no.
419, fol. 316. John Boyes of Ribchester
in 1496 granted to the same chantry a
part of his land in the corner of the south
side of Bernard Park, inclosed by a new
ditch; ibid. no. 471, fol. 326.
||a He was described in 1504 as 'possessor of the chantry of Dutton founded
in the church of Ribchester'; Kuerden
MSS. iv, P 121, no. 74.
||In 1527 it was recorded that he had
been chantry priest for two years, having
been presented by Sir Richard Hoghton.
He is again named as priest in 1535;
Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), v, 263.
||Raines, Chantries, 194. From a note
on p. 195 it seems that the rector (George
Wolset) had in 1543 procured the next
presentation for himself.
||Pat. 4 Edw. VI, pt. vii. Part was
soon afterwards sold to James son of
William Jenkinson, innkeeper of Ribchester, the occupier; Towneley MS.
OO, no. 1229–30. The chapel seems to
have been acquired by the Townleys of
Dutton, but it had previously been known
as Dutton chapel. The Hoghton chapel,
on the south side of the church, does not
seem to have had an endowed chantry.
||Raines, op. cit. 253; the yearly
value was 7s.
||Assize R. 408, m. 18; there is a
further notice of her land in Assize R.
1299, m. 16 d. Diana, the Anker maiden,
possibly servant of another recluse, is
named in a deed of 1349; Add. MS.
32106, fol. 322.
||The master began teaching in 1793
and a schoolhouse was erected on the
waste in 1797; End. Char. Rep. for Ribchester (1899), 2, 11.
||The details in the following notes are
taken from these reports.
In 1624 an inquiry was made as to £50
bequeathed to the parish by Robert Jenkinson, citizen and merchant tailor of
London in 1616, the sum being supposed
to be in danger; and John Dewhurst and
Thomas Waring, executors of Robert
Dewhurst, were ordered to pay the £50
to James Norcross, churchwarden, who
was to give security for its safe transmission to succeeding wardens; Harl. MS.
2176, fol. 32b 33b. From what follows
it appears that the capital sum was
divided among the townships, and that all
has been lost except the £10 appropriated
||This is called the Waterworth Dole.
The capital sum is £1,300, invested in
Preston Corporation stock. The distribution takes place at Christmas time,
there being about 180 recipients.
William Norcross left £20 towards
binding poor apprentices and Robert
Jenkinson £10 for the poor. These sums
were in 1732 invested in a house and land,
known as Dods Hall. The property was
in 1871 sold for £379 and the money
invested in consols in the name of the
official trustees; the annual income is
£11 5s. The portion which should be
applied to apprenticing children is £7 10s.,
but no such use has been made of it for
sixty years, the whole income being distributed in small doles (1s. to 2s.) on
St. Thomas's Day. Another sum of £40
was lent to the township, as was supposed,
but the poor law auditor having disallowed
the 36s. formerly paid out of the rates as
interest, this charity has been lost.
Miss Harriett Jane Quartley in 1878
bequeathed £19 19s. to the vicar of
Ribchester for the poor. This is invested
in consols and produces an income of 11s.,
distributed among six poor and aged
persons at Christmas.
||This was founded by James Standford in 1695, he bequeathing £150 for the
poor of Stidd, Bailey and Ribchester, and
£300 for 'other purposes.' The money was
invested in land near Skipton and the gross
income is now £41 2s. The net income
is paid to the Roman Catholic priest at
Stidd, who reserves two-thirds to his own
use (for the ' other purposes') and distributes the rest in small money doles, Protestants being among the recipients.
||These almshouses were founded
under the will of John Shireburne of
Bailey and Sheffield, who died in 1726,
as will be seen in the account of Stidd
below. The connexion of the Walmsley
family with them seems to have been that
of trustees. In 1728 the churchwardens
of Ribchester made the following presentment to the Bishop of Chester: 'We
have an almshouse erecting, but whether
the revenues be according to law we know
not'; Visit. Returns. 'Alice Worthington, widow, pauper from the hospital at
Stidd,' was buried 24 May 1732; Church
Reg. There are six sets of rooms, one of
which is occupied by the schoolmistress
and the others by the five almswomen
who are appointed by the priest. Stidd
Manor Farm was in 1867 transferred by
Thomas George Walmsley to the use of
the Rt. Rev. William Turner, Bishop of
Salford, and others as an endowment for
the almshouses. The income, after providing for repairs and £10 worth of coals
for the inmates, is divided equally among
||Frances Roades in 1696 bequeathed
her house and land for the benefit of' poor
distressed housekeepers of Dilworth for all
eternity.' The yearly rent is now £12,
of which between £8 and £10 is distributed annually on St. Thomas's Day in
sums of 1s. to 5s.
||Henry Townley in 1776 left personal
estate amounting to £100 for 'poor
necessitous persons.' The money was
applied in 1824 to the building of a workhouse, interest being paid out of the rates
until 1862, when the poor law auditor
Bishop Gastrell mentions a gift of £20
by Hugh Shireburne to Ribchester and
Dilworth, and another of £10 by Grace
Ward to Dilworth; Notitia Cestr. ii, 474.
||Henry Townley, Ann his wife and
their descendants Jennet Ward and Townley Ward between 1747 and 1790 gave
sums amounting to £125 to be laid out
in cloth. The capital, with accumulations,
is now represented by £255 consols, producing £7 a year. The distribution of
calico is made about the end of January,
some thirty families receiving doles of 7 to
||Richard Hoghton in 1613 left a close
called Wood Crook in Whittingham
charged with various sums for the poor,
including £1 10s. to be distributed 'at
the cross near Longridge Chapel in Alston.'
The whole income of the land (now sold)
was applied to the charity, and Alston now
has £6 11s. 10d. from the endowment.
Alston also has a share (a sixth) of the
income of the charity founded by Thomas
Hoghton of Woodplumpton in 1649; it
now amounts to £9 12s.
||For 'Jenkinson's charity' 8s. a
year was paid out of the rates in 1826,
but nothing is now known of it.
Thomas Gregson in 1742 and Thomas
Eccles in 1777 left sums for the poor, but
these had been lost before 1826.
James Berry of Alston was stated to
have given Seth Eccles £200 with a
verbal injunction to distribute the interest
to the poor. Seth died in 1822, but his
son Thomas continued an annual distribution of £8. This gift has, however, long
||In 1826 there was paid yearly from
the rates 9s. or 10s. for the poor, distributed in small doles about Christmas, the
endowment being attributed to Robert
Jenkinson. Nothing has been paid for a
long time, and the cottages supposed to
have been built for the poor are now
claimed as private property.