||2,224 acres, including 21 of inland
water; Census Rep. 1901.
||a J. Garstang, Roman Ribchester, 5.
(Report of Ribch. Excavations, 1898.)
||T. C. Smith, Ribchester, 71.
||Ibid. 72. In 1599 the people of
Ribchester were fined 3s. 4d. because there
was no cuck-stool; Clitheroe Ct. R.
V.C.H. Lancs, i, 288b.
||There is no record of the gift of
Ribchester and Dilworth as there is of
Dutton. It is doubtful whether the fine
of 1187 recording the acquisition of the
vill of Ribbec' refers to Ribchester or not;
Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.),
i, 1; ii, 185. If it does, it shows that
Robert de Lacy purchased it from William
son of Rosselin or else confirmed it to
||Ibid, ii, 185, quoting an abstract
found at Pontefract in 1325; Duchy of
Lanc. Misc. cxxx, fol. 20 d. The moiety
was to be held in thegnage by a rent of
7s. The advowson of the church and
'the forest of buck and doe, wild boar
and sow' were reserved. One Robert
son of Henry was lord of Lathom about
In 1202 Alan de Windle and Agnes
his wife made grants of portions of Ribchester; Final Conc. i, 13, 21. The
plaintiffs in these fines—Henry son of
Bernard and John son of Robert—claimed
by inheritance. Agnes may have been
the daughter of the Robert son of Henry
named in the text.
||Kuerden fol. MS. (Chet. Lib.), 77.
John de Lacy became constable of
Chester in 1211 and Earl of Lincoln in
1232; he died in 1240. It is not clear
whether this is the other moiety of Ribchester or a new and more complete
grant of the same moiety.
||Dods. MSS. liii, fol. 17. The surname is spelt in many ways—Mutun,
Motoun, &c.; sometimes a de is prefixed. It may be derived from Mitton,
though this spelling rarely occurs.
||Ibid. fol. 23. There was among the
Stonyhurst deeds a grant by John de
Lacy to Walter Mutton of the manor of
Ribchester and Dilworth for the same
service as Alan de Windhull and his
predecessors had rendered—viz. a pair of
gloves or 4d.; Shireburne Abstract Bk.
at Leagram. In accordance with these
charters it was found in 1258 that Ribchester rendered 2s. and one pair of gloves
(or 4d.) to Edmund de Lacy; Lancs. Inq.
and Extents (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.),
Walter Moton in 1219 acquired an
oxgang of land in Ribchester from Siegrith, Wynniva and Maud, daughters of
Godwin; Final Conc. i, 40.
||He gave the monks Hulliley (or
Hilliley), from the Stonyway on the east
to Godrichley Croft on the west, and from
a syke on the south to an oak crossmarked on the north, also 3 acres of
wood. He desired their prayers especially for the soul of that venerable man
his lord Roger de Lacy; Whalley Couch.
(Chet. Soc), iii, 868. He also gave
them the mill with its rights, reserving
multure of his own house, desiring that
he might be buried at Stanlaw; ibid. 869.
Amabel daughter of Alan de Windle and
widow of Walter Moton confirmed the
gifts, and her second husband released
any right he might have in the same;
To Roger de Hurst he gave part of
his land in Ribchester in Turnley, the
bounds commencing at a stone house,
and including (in part) Chester Brook;
Add. MS. 32106, no. 493 (fol. 330).
||His gift of land in Godrichley in
Ribchester to the hospital of St. Saviour
at Stidd is mentioned in a charter in
Towneley's MS. DD, no. 889. He also
gave land in Shipenley, adjoining Turnley
at one point, confirmed by his son
William; Dugdale, Mon. Angl. vi, 687.
||Assize R. 404, m. 3 d. She and
her husband also claimed certain land
and a moiety of the mill against the
Abbot of Stanlaw; ibid. m. 2 d. This
suit affords an approximate date for their
charters already quoted.
Whalley Couch iii, 872–4. William
son of Walter Moton confirmed his
father's gifts and added land between
Lauediley Clough and Godrich Clough.
||Harl. MS. 112, fol. 81b.
||To Henry son of Helewise he gave
land, the bounds of which went north up
the clough of Godrichley to Hulliley,
thence east to Stonygate, south to the
land of Robert the Kirkman, and then
west to the starting-point. A rent of
12d. was to be paid; Kuerden MSS. iii,
R. 9. The seal bore a fleur de lis and
the legend sigill: will: de: mvtvn.
By another charter he gave Robert the
Skinner part of his waste within bounds
which went down Crinsil Brook to its
junction with Chastel or Castel Brook,
and up the latter brook to Ruddegate,
&c.; ibid. Josce the clerk was a witness,
and the seal was the same as before.
William de Singleton and Alan his son
granted a rent of 3s. from Dilworth to
William son of Walter Moton and Edith
his wife; Dods. MSS. lxx, fol. 157.
To Josce the clerk William son of
Walter Moton gave half an oxgang of
land in Ribchester at a rent of 12d.;
Add. MS. 32106, no. 271. To Richard
son of Robert Boys (de Bosco) he gave
land in Nutbrook strinds, at a rent of
four barbed arrows; ibid. no. 314. In
1268–9 he gave Sir Adam de Hoghton
the homage of Robert for Ametehalit in
Ribchester, with the rent of 2s. due
therefrom; Dods, MSS. cxlii, fol. 20.
||He was so described in a gift by
Beatrix de Kuerden, referring to his
charter made to her father Richard son
of John de Kuerden; Add. MS. 32109,
no. 14 (Edw. III), no. 54 (s.d.).
||He was living in 1278, when together with Roger de Chippenley and
Richard son of Hugh de Ribchester he
was found to have disseised Adam de
'Mutton' of his free tenement in Ribchester. Adam had been over sea aad was
reported dead; Assize R. 1238, m. 33.
||In 1282 Edusa as widow claimed
dower in various tenements in Ribchester
held by Richard son of William son of
William Moton and Denise his mother,
Richard son of Adam and Richard his
son, Richard son of Ellis and Henry his
son and Richard son of Ellis; De Banco
R. 47, m. 4 d. A Richard son of William
Moton gave an acre in Ribchester to
Richard de Hurst; Add. MS. 32106, no.
In 1292 Edusa, then wife of Richard
le Sothron, claimed in right of her former
marriage with William Moton dower in
a messuage and land held by Alice de
Lacy; Assize R. 408, m. 62.
||The pedigree at this point is indeterminate, but from the charters preserved
by Towneley and Kuerden it is obvious
that there were several branches of the
family having estates in Ribchester and
Dutton. William Moton, William his
son and Robert Moton attested an undated charter; Add. MS. 32106, no. 265.
In 1332 Robert, Richard and Henry
Moton contributed to the subsidy in Ribchester and William Moton in Dutton;
Exch. Lay Subs. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and
||The uncertainty arises from the
possibility of two Williams. In 1302
Robert Moton, lord of Ribchester, demised to Walter de Lofthouse, chaplain,
a part of his waste in Ribchester between
the close of land called Beteleyfield, belonging to St. Saviour's, and the Nutbrook; Towneley MS. DD, no. 985.
Henry and Adam Moton attested this
charter; from another deed it appears
they were Robert's brothers; Add. MS.
32106, no. 273.
Robert son of William Moton released
to Master Richard de Hoghton in 1298
his right in lands held in Ametehalgh in
Ribchester; ibid. no. 233. In 1309
Robert son of William Moton gave his
brother Adam land called the Berridding
Bank, bounded on one side by the high
way to Ribchester Church; ibid. no. 272.
From the plea of 1282 above cited it
would seem that a Richard Moton was
the heir; perhaps he died and Robert, a
younger brother or else an uncle, succeeded. There was an escheat to the
chief lord, or a guardianship, for in 1292
Robert Moton claimed two-thirds of a
messuage and lands in Ribchester and
5 markates of rent against Alice widow
of Edmund de Lacy, and the other third
against Edith widow of William Moton;
Assize R. 408, m. 73, 4 d. In 1293
— de Lacy released to Robert Moton a
capital messuage and a moiety of the
rents, services, &c., which had come into
his hands by the death of William Moton
father of Robert; Shireburne Abstract Bk.
Robert Moton was lord of Ribchester in
1302; Towneley MS. DD, no. 985.
Uncertainty is created by the appearance of Robert and William sons of Adam
Moton in other suits of 1292 (Assize
R. 408, m. 36 d., 36), and by the claim
of Thomas son of Orm de Ribchester
against Richard son of William Moton,
Cecily daughter of Robert Moton and the
above-named Edusa wife of Richard le
Sothron, the last-named holding in dower;
ibid. m. 31.
Robert son of Adam Moton and Richard
his brother frequently occur in the Ribchester deeds in Add. MS. 32106. Adam
son of Roger son of William de Ribchester
gave lands to Robert son of Adam Moton
in free marriage with Alice his sister;
ibid. no. 239.
||Robert was probably living at that
time, for in 1309 Robert son of William
Moton agreed with his brother Adam respecting certain land which Robert was to
grant from his waste; Add. MS. 32106,
no. 496, fol. 330b. Henry Moton was a
witness. In 1313 Beatrix de Kuerden
successfully claimed certain pasture in
Ribchester against the representatives of
Hugh de Dilworth, whose son Richard
had had a grant of it from Robert son of
William Moton, lord of Ribchester;
Assize R. 424, m. 3. Richard was then
dead, and Robert also, Henry Moton
appearing for the defendants.
William son of Robert Moton (Mittun)
and Alice his wife in 1305 claimed
a tenement against Avice daughter of
Richard son of William de Ribchester;
De Banco R. 153, m. 29. At the same
time Robert Moton was defendant; ibid,
m. 317 d.
In 1317 Williamson of Robert Moton,
with the consent of Alice his wife, demised six butts of land to Henry Moton
for the term of Alice's life; Add. MS.
32106, no. 308. Alice widow of William
was in 1331 the wife of William Bisset,
as appears by a pleading cited below.
William son of Robert Moton of Ribchester confirmed to Robert his brother a
place in his waste lying on the west side
of Fallonwelhalgh; ibid. no. 452, fol.
Alice widow of Robert (? William)
Moton had dower in 1330; Shireburne
Whalley Couch, iii, 874. Robert son
of John de Hilliley granted to Henry son
of William Moton all his lands in Ribchester, with the homages of various
tenants; Towneley MS. C 8, 13 (Chet.
Lib.), H 285. About 1300 Henry Moton
had from Adam de Blackburn the homage
of Richard de Hurst and the rent of
10 d. for his lands; Add. MS. 32106, no.
244. Henry also obtained a small grant
from Simon son of Richard son of
Ellis de Ribchester; Kuerden MSS. iv,
From the release to Whalley and from
the fact that Henry's name is almost
invariably placed before those of others of
the family in local deeds of the latter part
of the reign of Edward II, it appears that
he was the head of the family or at least
its senior member. William son of Henry
Moton and Agnes his wife were in 1334
accused of having, so far back as
1320, struck a woman at Dutton so
that she died; Coram Rege R. 298, Rex
Henry had several sons. As 'Henry
de Moton of Ribchester the elder' he
granted his son Walter land in the Hagh,
with meadow, buildings, &c., in 1328;
Kuerden MSS. iii, R 9. Walter son of
Henry Moton io 1359 made a feoffment
of lands he had had from his brother
Henry; Towneley MS. C 8, 13 (Chet.
Lib.), M 77. Henry son of Henry Moton
leased some of his land to William son of
Henry Moton in 1329; Add. MS. 32106,
no. 291. In the same year a grant was
made to Henry son of Henry Moton and
Nicholas his brother; ibid. no. 482, fol.
328. Henry Moton in 1337 gave half
an acre in Erley in Ribchester, William
Moton, Robert his brother and Robert
son of Adam Moton being witnesses;
ibid. no. 264. In 1346 Henry Moton
released a rent he had received from
Erley, Robert son of Robert Moton and
Robert son of Adam Moton being the
first witnesses; ibid. no. 470, fol. 325.
Nicholas Moton occurs again in Dutton;
ibid. no. 288. He was living in 1360,
when he and his wife Cecily obtained a
quitclaim from Richard son of Adam le
Seinture of Aighton respecting lands of
Richard's mother Diota, formerly belonging to Richard Willison de Ribchester;
Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 8, m. 120;
Add. MS. 32106, no. 254. The same
lands were in 1369 released by Cecily
widow of Nicholas Moton and Alice her
sister; ibid. no. 302.
In 1329 various acres in Ribchester
were claimed against Henry Moton the
younger, William Moton, Richard Moton
and Nicholas son of Henry Moton; De
Banco R, 279, m. 405 d.
||William as lord of Ribchester attested a charter in 1329; Add. MS.
32107, no. 1497.
The manor of Ribchester was given to
William Moton and Isabel his wife in
1331 by Robert Ragh, chaplain; Robert
son of Adam Moton was a witness;
Towneley MS. OO, no. 1195. In the
same year Adam de Clitheroe appeared
against William Moton concerning the
manor of Ribchester and against William
Bisset and Alice his wife concerning 16
acres of land in the township; De Banco
R. 287, m. 380 d.; 290, m. 77 d. The
latter suit was prosecuted in the following
year, when William Moton appeared and
stated that the 16 acres were part of his
inheritance, held by Alice in dower, while
the plaintiff alleged that they had belonged to his father Hugh de Clitheroe
until Robert Moton had disseised him;
ibid. 292, m. 98 d.
William Moton was styled 'lord of
Ribchester' in 1338 and 1341, according
to the Towneley transcripts; Add. MS.
32106, no. 245, 301, 463, fol. 324.
William and Robert his brother attested
Ribchester charters in 1338 and 1342;
ibid. no. 230, 300.
||De Banco R. 332, m. 30. The defendant is called Robert Moton of Ribchester. Isabel continued her suit in
1344 against Robert for two-thirds of the
manor (except a messuage and 10½ acres),
and against some others; ibid. 340,
m. 557 d. Two years later Robert Moton
summoned Robert son of William Moton
to warrant him as to the two-thirds of
the manor; ibid. 348, m. 427. In
1347 Isabel widow of William Moton
came to an agreement with Robert son
of Robert Moton; Shirebume Abstract Bk.
||In an inquiry as to the proposed endowment of Bailey Chapel; Inq. p.m.
10 Edw. II (2nd nos.), no. 10.
Robert son of Adam Moton is frequently named. He is probably the
Robert Moton who, with his sons Adam
and William, was in 1334 alleged to hold
5 acres wrongfully, by Amery widow of
Roger at Kirkstyle; De Banco R. 300,
||Add. MS. 32106, no. 249. By a
charter of the same year Robert son of
Henry son of Walter Moton, chief lord of
Ribchester, reduced the free rent due from
certain tenements from 2s. to 20d.; ibid.
no. 242. A William Moton attested this
deed. The descent here stated is not
otherwise known, but it is clear there were
many Roberts as contemporaries. The
date may have been copied wrongly.
In 1349 Robert son of Robert Moton
was lord of Ribchester; Add. MS. 32106,
no. 450 (fol. 322). This deed was a
grant by Robert son of Adam Moton to
his sons William and Thomas; a witness
was Robert son and heir of Robert son of
Adam Moton. In the same year Robert
son of Robert Moton granted a messuage
and land called Falwelshalgh, Walter
Moton being a witness; ibid. no. 293.
On the other hand in 1355 Robert son
of William Moton granted his manor of
Ribchester to William de Whalley (no
doubt as trustee), with all homages,
services and rents; Kuerden fol. MS.
Not long before (in 1353) Richard
Moton of Ribchester had settled his lands
on his daughter Agnes and her issue, with
remainder to William son of Robert
Moton, chaplain; ibid. no. 299. William
Moton was a subdeacon in 1350; ibid.
no. 253. In 1361 his brother Robert,
here styled Robert son of Robert de Ribchester, released all his claim in the estate
of the above-named Richard Moton; ibid.
no. 262. William was still living in 1408
(ibid. no. 256), and seems to have been
one of the chief promoters of the chantry
at the north side of the church, even if he
were not the true founder, and he was
specially named as one of those to be
prayed for; ibid. no. 364.
||Katherine widow of Robert Moton
in 1361 released her claim for dower
against Katherine daughter of Robert
Moton; Shireburne Abstract Bk.
Final Conc. ii, 185; the manor was
settled on William de Lynalx and Katherine his wife, with remainders to the issue
of Katherine, and in default to Richard
son of Alexander de Lynalx and his issue.
William de Lynalx occurs at Ribchester in
1369; Towneley MS. DD, no. 512. In
1386 he was to go to Ireland on the
king's service, but the protection was revoked as he did not go; Cal. Pat. 1385–9,
pp. 156, 274.
A release of lands which had belonged
to Robert Moton was made to William de
Lynalx and Katherine his wife in 1395–6;
Shireburne Abstract Bk.
The Lynalx family occurs in Pemberton. The name is spelt in many ways;
e.g. Linales, Lennox, &c.
||Kuerden fol. MS. 247. As widow
she had made a feoffment of her lands in
1402; Shireburne Abstract Bk. She gave
all her lands to John her son in 1405;
||John son of William Lynalx made
Thomas Lynalx his attorney to receive
from his mother Katherine certain lands
in Ribchester; Towneley MS. C 8, 13,
L 259. It appears that Thomas was also
a son of William Lynalx, receiving from
his father land in Mayridding, &c., in Ribchester; Towneley MS. DD, no. 516.
Richard son of John Bradley of Dodhill
was in 1408 pardoned for the death of
Thomas Lynalx of Ribchester; Pal. of
Lanc. Chan. Misc. 1/9, m. 33.
The next in possession was Thurstan
Lynalx, named in 1416 (Shireburne Abstract Bk.) and in 1418, when a certain
William Hill, an idiot, was found to have
held of him land called Sprodpoolhey by a
rent of 22d.; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc),
i, 130; Dep. Keeper's Rep. xxxiii, App. 14.
In 1421 Thurstan granted a messuage
in Ribchester to Christopher Hoghton;
Towneley MS. DD, no. 1552.
John Lynalx occurs from 1430 onwards, and Richard Lynalx from about
1470. Thus in 1432 Thomas Southworth
held land in Ribchester of John Lynalx;
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 46. Again
in 1449 John regranted Richard Towneley
a parcel of land in Ribchester; Add. MS.
32104, no. 1117. He was styled lord of
Ribchester in 1456; Shireburne Abstract
Richard Lynalx in 1469 gave a lease to
Ellis and Edward Cottam, Cecily widow
of Thurstan Lynalx being apparently still
living; ibid. Richard attested a deed in
1472; Add. MS. 32106, no. 485, fol. 328.
In 1491–2 he and Thomas his son and
heir-apparent were also witnesses; Add.
MS. 32107, no. 1006. Richard, who in
1512–13 married Elizabeth widow of John
Elston of Ribbleton (Shireburne Abstracts), occurs in inquisitions, &c., down
to about 1522. In 1516 he made a feoffment of his messuages and lands in
Ribchester and Dilworth; Kuerden fol.
From various inquisitions (Robert Singleton and others) it appears that Thomas
Lynalx was lord in 1525, John Lynalx his
son (Shireburne Abstracts) in 1530–40 and
Robert Lynalx in 1547 onwards. Isabel
widow of Thomas Lynalx had dower in
1536; Shireburne Abstract Bk. Robert
Lynalx in 1548 was one of the defendants
in a plea respecting chantry lands in Ribchester; Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), i,
225. In 1575 Robert is called son and
heir of John Lynalx when claiming Hall
heys, &c., in the manor of Ribchester
against John Talbot and Robert his bastard
son; ibid, ii, 328; iii, 23, 29.
||Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 43,
m. 155. The Lynalx family do not appear
to have retained the whole manor, for in
1588 Hugh Shireburne purchased the
manor, with messuages, free fishery, &c.,
from John Talbot and his bastard son
Robert, whose wife Elizabeth also agreed;
ibid. bdle. 50, m. 87. Two years later
still Hugh purchased the manor, with
messuages in Ribchester and Dilworth,
fishery in the Ribble, and the advowson of
the church, from John Squire; ibid.
bdle. 52, m. 31. It does not appear how
these manors originated; the latter vendor
may have had some claim through the
Lynalx family by purchase or descent.
The Talbot 'manor' is named in Ducatus
Lanc. (Rec. Com.), i, 304; iii, 228.
||Neither pedigree nor inquisition is
known. They were styled 'gent.' not
'esq.' Their arms are given in Whitaker,
Whalley (ed. Nicholls), ii, 459 n.
||Hugh Shirebume of Esholt in Yorkshire left no sons, and in his purchase of
Ribchester may have been acting for his
father; Sherborn, Family of Sherborn,
Sir Richard Shireburne died in 1594
holding the manor, with messuages, watermill, &c., in conjunction with Hugh Shireburne; the tenure was unknown; Duchy
of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvi, no. 3. The Shireburnes seem to have had a tenement in
Ribchester much earlier than this; see
ibid, viii, no. 27.
||In 1593 the manor was settled on
Richard Shireburne (son of Sir Richard)
and his heirs male, and as his son Henry
died without issue it went to his second
son Richard, aged thirty-seven, in 1628;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxvi, no. 4.
The tenure was unknown. The manor
is again named among the estates of
Thomas Duke of Norfolk and Mary his
wife in 1719; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F.
bdle. 284, m. 81. Also in later recoveries—1737 and 1777 (Weld).
||Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1836), iii, 382.
Courts used then to be held twice a year,
in May and October. The court rolls
are extant from 1821 only.
||Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 107,
m. 36. Sir Edward Osbaldeston, John
his ton and heir, and others were deforciants. No 'manor,' however, was
claimed at the death of Sir Edward or
of his son John, but only a messuage
called the Boathousefield in Ribchester,
the tenure of which is not stated; Duchy
of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxvii, no. 15, 40.
||This family's holding was of ancient
date, and some of their charters have been
cited in the account of the Moton family.
Sir Henry Hoghton in 1424 held lands
in Ribchester of the king as duke; Lancs.
Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc), ii, 45. William
Hoghton held lands in 1500 of the king
by services unknown; ibid, ii, 127. This,
or 'in socage by fealty,' was the usual
record in the later inquisitions.
||Robert Singleton of Brockholes died
in 1525 holding a messuage, &c., in
Ribchester of Thomas Lynalx by a rent
of 15d.; Duchy of Lanc Inq. p.m. vi,
no. 64. His son William held it in 1573
of Robert Lynalx by a rent of 16d.; ibid.
xii, no. 34.
John Singleton of Chingle Hall held a
messuage of John Lynalx in 1530; ibid.
vi, no. 32. John Singleton held the
same of Robert Lynalx in 1571; ibid.
xiii, no. 16.
||Thomas Southworth of Samlesbury
in 1432 held a messuage of John Lynalx;
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 46.
In 1502 it was found that the tenement
was held of Richard Lynalx by a rent of
1d.; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iii,
||The Talbots may have succeeded the
Clitheroe family. Henry de Clitheroe
claimed land in 1292 as brother and heir
of Alice who had been wife of Adam de
Blackburn; Assize R. 408, m. 18, 31 d.
Disputes afterwards arose between the
Blackburn and Clitheroe families; Assize
R. 1299, m. 16 d.; De Banco R. 152, m.
89. See also Final Conc. ii, 64; Lancs.
Ina. p.m. (Chet. Soc), ii, 42.
Sir John Talbot of Salesbury held land
in Ribchesterof Richard Lynalx in 1511;
ibid. 144. JohnTalbot in 1588 held
lands of the Crown, formerly the Hospitallers; ibid. 161. John Talbot had
made several purchases; Pal. of Lanc.
Feet of F. bdles. 37, m. 64; 39, m. 72; 40,
||The Ribchester family or families
have occured in former notes. One of
the earliest named in Ellis, a clerk; Final
Conc. i, 51. Richard de Turnley granted
part of his land in Turnley to William
son of Adam son of Ellis de Ribchester;
Add. MS. 32106, no. 546. Richard son
of Ellis complained in 1292 that Master
Henry de Clayton was detaining a charter;
Assize R. 408, m. 94. He claimed
reasonable estovers in the wood against
Thomas de Singleton; ibid. m. 54 d. He
was perhaps the Richard de Ribchester,
clerk, who was non-suited in his claim
for a tenement against Richard son of
Adam de Ribchester and Adam de Lingard;
ibid. m. 42.
Robert son of Ellis was concerned in
several suits of the same year. He complained that Richard son of William de
Ribchester, Isabel his wife and William
his son had disseised him of a strip of
land, but was non-suited; ibid. m. 49 d.
In 1313–14 Robert son of William son
of Robert son of Ellis de Ribchester
sought four messuages, 26 acres of land,
&c., against his elder brother Henry (a
minor), William de Livesey and William
son of Robert de Osbaldeston, alleging a
grant from his father, and succeeded;
Assize R. 424, m. 2 d.
Roger son of William de Ribchester
gave land in Turnley to his son Richard;
Kuerden MSS. iii, R. 9. Richard son of
Roger Willison in 1331 claimed land (by
grant of one Simon) against John son of
Richard Franceys and Amery his wife
(tenants in right of Amery, who was
sister and heir of Simon), and against
Adam son of Richard Franceys; Assize
R. 1404, m. 26.
Simon son of Richard son of Ellis de
Ribchester made a grant to Henry Moton;
Add. MS. 32107, no. 368. Diana widow
of Adam son of Simon released her dower
in certain land to William son of Richard
de Ribchester, who had purchased the
land from her daughters Margery and
Maud; Kuerden fol MS. 357. The seal
bore the inscription s' iorda . . clerici.
John son of Richard son of Simon occurs
in 1340, when he gave lands to Roger de
Elston and Amabel his wife for life;
Kuerden MSS. iii, R. 9. Roger son of
Roger de Elston was plaintiff in 1346,
Robert son of Robert Moton being defendant; Assize R. 1444, m. 7. The Elston
family occur later; Kuerden, loc. cit
Uctred son of Warine de Ribchester
gave land in Shippenley to Adam son of
Ellis de Ribchester; ibid. Richard son
of Adam de Hurst in 1313 gave a moiety
of his land between Bolingbrook and
Shippenley Clough to William son of
Uctred de Ribchester; Add. MS. 32106,
no. 869. The grantee afterwards (1314)
gave his capital messuage (lying in Ribchester between John de Preston's land
and the Brendeyerd) to Henry son of
Beatrice de Kuerden; ibid. no. 456,
fol. 323. William son of Uctred was
living in 1342; ibid. no. 260.
Thomas son of Orm in 1285 sought
a messuage and an oxgang of land against
Robert son of Ellis de Ribchester; De
Banco R. 60, m. 83 d. The same Thomas
gave to Roger de Turnley a toft near
Shippenley Clough in 1316; Add. MS.
32106, no. 428, fol. 318.
Cecily daughter and heir of Richard
son of William Atkokson in 1341 gave
to Henry de Ribchester, chaplain, all her
meadow in Exgangedoles in the Town
meadows; ibid. no. 289. To the same
Henry Roger son of William Atkokson
made a grant in Turnley; ibid. no. 265.
Alice and Cecily, daughters of William
son of Richard de Rochester, in the same
year granted to Adam son of Robert son
of Adam Moton a plat called the Fall,
lying between the outlane from Cornleyyeth
to Tillycarr and Robert Franceys' lands,
and between the outlane to Hothersall
and land of Robert son of William son of
Nicholas; ibid. no. 429, fol. 318. John
son of William Atkokson occurs in 1342;
ibid. no. 491 (fol. 329).
Robert son of William Ribchester in
1403 acquired the lands of Agnes wife of
Dawkin de Claughton and sister of Henry
Hodgson; Kuerden fol. MS. 73. In
1421 Katherine widow of Robert Ribchester made a feoffment of the lands,
&c., she had had from her husband; ibid.
357. Percival Ribchester and Robert his
brother occur in 1443–4; ibid. 87. In
1447 Percival gave land in the place called
Shorton to Robert Halgh; Add. MS.
32106, no. 269. It may be added that
Robert Halgh gave his lands to John
Talbot of Salesbury aa trustee, and that
the latter's son John in 1474 released
them to John Halgh son of Robert; ibid.
no. 278, 810. Robert son and heir of
John Ribchester occurs in 1539; Kuerden
fol. MS. 396.
John Ribchester in 1542 gave hit son
Richard the reversion of a house tenanted
by Robert Ribchester the elder, brother
of grantor; ibid. 357. From an indenture
of 1588 it appears that Robert Ribchester's
lands, after two transfers, were acquired
by John Dewhurst; ibid. 384; Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdle, 27, m. 67.
Of the other minor families—some of
whom, as Shippenley, Hilliley, Turnley
and Franceys have been named—only occasional notices are found. Alice daughter
of Thomas son of Roger de Shippenley and
her son Henry in 1306 claimed a messuage and land against Adam the son and
heir of Thomas and Amabel the widow
of Thomas; Assize R. 420, m. 5. Alice
daughter of Avice de Shippenley obtained
a judgement in 1358 against Henry de
Kuerden and Eva his wife respecting a
tenement in Ribchester; Assize R. 438,
m. 3. For the Kuerden estate see Final
Conc. ii, 156. John de Hilliley gave his
son Robert the land of Stanlaw Abbey
except what he had given with Agnes his
daughter to Henry de Dutton; Kuerden
MSS. iv, R. 14. Cecily widow of William
de Hilliley was complainant in 1358;
Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 6, m. 4 d. She
may have been the Cecily who in
1352 was wife of John son of Robert de
Turnley; ibid. 2, m. 1 d. Richard le
Franceys was called to warrant William
son of Roger son of William de Ribchester
in 1303, when Agnes widow of Richard
de Tumlache sought dower in certain
land; De Banco R. 145, m. 171 d.
||An early grant to Richard son of
Robert de Boys (Bosco) has been cited
above. A William son of Robert de
Boys had land in Dutton about 1250;
Add. MS. 32106, no. 133. John son of
Alexander de Boys in 1292 claimed a debt
from his brother Jordan; Assize R. 408,
m. 98. In 1390–1 Cecily widow of
William de Healey and Cecily his
daughter and heir settled certain lands
in Ribchester with remainders to Nicholas
de Boys, Alice his wife, John son of
Robert de Turnley and Alice sister of
John; Townley MS. C 8, 13 (Chet.
Lib.), R 70. Henry son of Nicholas
Boys was living in 1435; ibid. T 128.
John Boys was witness in 1403; Kuerden
fol. MS. 73. Robert brother and executor
of John Boys was plaintiff in 1445; Pal. of
Lanc. Plea R. 8, m. 2. Ellis Boys of Ribchester found security for £20 in 1457;
Pal. of Lanc. Chan. Misc. 1/1, no. 50.
Lawrence Cottam of Garstang in 1488
released to John son of the late Henry
Boys his right in the lands, &c., recently
owned by Roger Elston in Ribchester;
Kuerden fol. MS. 87. In 1520 John
Talbot of Salesbury granted Henry Boys a
messuage on lease (ibid. 397); and in
1524 Sir Thomas Southworth exchanged
lands in Ribchester for Henry's lands in
Mellor and Samlesbury; ibid. 386. Henry
Boys made a feoffment 'of his lands, &c.,
in Ribchester (except Moton House) in
1543; Add. MS. 32104, no. 698.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xi, no. 64.
He had also a tenement in Oswaldtwistle.
From later pleadings it appears that John
was the son and heir of Henry Boys.
||The divorce was granted in or about
1562, because the marriage had taken
place in childhood without the consent of
Grace; Furnivall, Child Marriages (Early
Engl. Text Soc.), 16. Robert Talbot and
others in 1563 became bound to William
Dewhurst of Wilpshire and John his son
to abide the award of an arbitration concerning Boys House and other lands, &c,
in Ribchester; Add. MS. 32104, no. 714.
John Dewhurst and Grace his wife demised a plat of land called Cockcroft to
Richard Watson in 1565; Kuerden fol.
MS. 95. They were still living in 1590,
when they made a feoffment of the
capital messuage called Boys House, &c.;
ibid. Again, in 1599, they made a settlement by fine; ibid. 94.
There is a pedigree in the 1613 Visit.
(Chet. Soc), 96; see also the account of
Wilpshire, and T. C. Smith, Ribchester,
||There were a number of suits before
the succession was settled. In 1565
Robert Talbot complained that, whereas
Boys House should be in his possession
in right of his wife Grace, the Dewhursts
had entered, and were cutting down
hedges, destroying 'the great timber
woods and underwoods,' &c. The defendants alleged the divorce and new marriage of Grace to John Dewhurst; Duchy
of Lanc. Plead. Eliz. Ixv, T 5.
In 1576 William Boys of Great Faling
in Middlesex, son of Edward and grandson of Henry Boys, sought to recover
Boys House, the ferry over the Ribble
known as 'the ferry of Osboston,' &c.,
alleging that Grace, the child of his uncle
John Boys, was illegitimate. The defendants stated that John Boys was
divorced from his first wife Anne Dewhurst before he was married to Alice
Rodes, and that it had been decided in
court in 1557 that Grace should enjoy the
Boys estate; Duchy of Lanc. Plead.
Eliz. xcix, B 18; cvi, B 15; ccx, D 7.
William Dewhurst, son of John and
Grace, died at Ribchester in 1621 holding Boys House, &c., of Richard Shireburne; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), ii, 284. The surname long
remained known in the township.
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), i, 58–61. The holding was a
composite one. Two messuages with
land called the Hagges were held of the
king as of his duchy of Lancaster by the
200th part of a knight's fee, a half
rood of land was held by the 300th
part of a fee, 2 acres called Sprodspool
by the 200th part, and the rest by the
twentieth part of a fee. A settlement is
recited, made by Richard Shireburne, the
father of Roger, in 1589–90, relating to
the capital messuage called Buckley, and
giving the names of fields, lancs, &c.—as
Turnley, Chester gate and Kendal heys.
In the pedigree by Mr. C. D. Sherborn
(Fam. of Sherborn, 104–8) it is stated that
Richard the father was a son of Roger
Shireburne of Wolfhouse in Chipping,
and that Richard the son (who built New
Buckley in 1662) died in 1674 without
issue. It appears, however, that Richard
the father was a brother of Roger of
Wolfhouse (ibid. 57–9), for in 1554 a
settlement of an estate in Ribchester
which seems to be certainly that of Buckley was made by Robert Shireburne and
Margery his wife in favour of their son
Richard. In default of issue the lands
were to go to Richard son of Sir Richard
Shireburne of Stonyhurst; Pal. of Lanc.
Feet of F. bdle. 15, m. 65.
Buckley is named in a 13th-century
grant by William Moton to Thomas son
of Ralph de Ribchester; Towneley MS.
OO, no. 1210.
In the 18th century Buckley Hall was
tenanted by a family named Pye; Smith,
op. cit. 253–6.
||Smith, Hist, of Ribchester, 240.
||Roger de Walmersley in 1360 had
lands in right of his wife Alice, who seems
to have been an Ellel; Dep. Keeper's Rep.
xxxii, App. 343. Robert de Walmerlegh
alias Walmesleye of Ribchester received a
pardon in 1400–1; Pal. of Lanc. Chan.
Misc. 1/9, m. 146.
In 1550 or later Alexander Walmsley
of Elston, Margaret his wife and Robert
and Thomas their sons acquired various
lands, which seem to have passed to the
Dewhurst family; Add. MS. 32104,
no. 1128, 693, &c.; Pal. of Lanc. Feet
of F. bdle. 19, m. 64; 45, m. 169.
Thomas Walmsley, father of Sir
Thomas and Richard, purchased a messuage, &c., from Richard Singleton and
Alice his wife in 1562; Pal. of Lanc.
Feet of F. bdle. 24, m. 10. He added
other lands, more especially for his
younger son; but in 1584, in the inquisition after his death, the tenure of his
estate in Ribchester is not recorded;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xiv, no. 72.
The son, Sir Thomas Walmsley of
Dunkenhalgh, at his death in 1612 held
his moiety of lands here in socage; Lancs.
Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), i,
249, 252. The tenants'names are given.
In 1653 Dame Anne Lucas of Dunkenhalgh and Thomas son and heir of
Nicholas Walmsley of London sought
allowance of their title to a tenement in
Ribchester leased to Thomas Dewhurst
in 1597. Two-thirds had been sequestered for the recusancy of Leonard
Walmsley, deceased, husband of Elizabeth Dewhurst (one of the lives); Cal.
Com. for Comp. iv, 3126.
||Richard Walmsley of Showley
(brother of Sir Thomas) had part of his
father's lands; his principal acquisition
was that of the Preston family's estate in
1593; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 55,
m. 92. He died in 1609 holding Fastenfields of the king by knight's service;
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc.), i, 149. This
had belonged to the Hospitallers.
At one time the family resided at
Ribchester, Richard Walmsley being
described as 'of Ribchester' when he
registered his estate as a 'Papist' in
1717; Estcourt and Payne, Eng. Cath.
Non-jurors, 100. Part of their estate was
in 1867 given to the support of the almshouses; End. Char. Rep.
||In the earlier fines and pleadings
names of owners occur, but these have
usually to be recorded also in other townships; e.g. Dodhull and Hurst, 1335,
and Hayhurst, 1355; Final Conc. ii, 96,
147. Shaw of Elston held land in 1446;
ibid, iii, 112.
A small part of the land given to the
Hoghton chantry in 1407 was held of
Robert Townley by the rent of 2s.; Inq.
a.q.d. file 435, no. 26. Henry son of
Robert Townley had lands in Cliviger,
Ribchester and Dutton in 1420; Towneley MS. DD, no. 2020. Alice widow of
John Anderton of Ribchester in 1453–4
leased her lands to John Towneley of
Birtwistle and afterwards sold them;
Towneley MS. C 8, 13 (Chet. Lib.),
A 49, 50. Richard Towneley had lands
in the township in 1447 and 1473; ibid.
B 297, 301, 304. Richard Townley of
Dutton in 1618 held his lands in Ribchester and Dilworth of Richard Shireburne by 6d. rent; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec.
Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), ii, 137.
Henry Preston of Preston died in
1549 holding land in Ribchester of the
king as of the late priory of St. John of
Jerusalem by a rent of 6d.; Duchy of
Lanc. Inq. p.m. ix, no, 19; x, no. 10.
The estate, including a fishery in the
Ribble, was sold in 1593 to Richard
Walmsley as above. A Preston family
is of early occurrence, for in 1292 Robert
son of Adam de Preston held the moiety
of a messuage and 40 acres in Ribchester
in right of his wife Margery; they were
claimed by Margery the infant daughter
of Adam son of Bernard de Ribchester;
Assize R. 408, m. 15 d. Adam son of
Robert de Preston in 1313–14 claimed
messuages and lands against John de
Preston (apparently his son) and others;
Assize R. 424, m. 2 d. Robert Preston
was in 1472–82 the feoffee of Alexander
Halgh's estate at Goddisbrook in Ribchester; Add. MS. 32106, no. 270,1016.
William son of Richard Blackburn was
in 1552 reputed to be an idiot. He had
sold his lands, and his father's heirs,
Roger Salebury and Ellen wife of Henry
Seed, put in a claim as kinsmen and heirs;
they were aged twenty-six and forty
respectively, and Ellen was William's
sister; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. ix, no.
13; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 13,
m. 121. Both Blackburn and Seed are
names of long standing in the district.
William Blackburn had land there in
1443; Add. MS. 32106, no. 341. Robert
Seed in 1564 held three messuages, &c.;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 26, m. 125.
Robert Seed, senior and junior, were purchasers in 1589 and John Seed in 1590;
ibid, bdles. 51, m. 212; 52, m. 40.
Roger Seed sold to William Charnley
in 1577, and the purchaser and his wife
Alice settled their lands in Ribchester and
Dilworth in 1579; ibid, bdles. 39, m. 55;
41, m. 123.
Hugh Ash's lands in Ribchester were
held of the Crown; Duchy of Lanc. Inq.
p.m. x, no. 35. See the accounts of
Aighton and Dutton. George Ash, the
son, appears to have sold his Ribchester
lands to Richard Walmsley; Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdles. 43, m. 143; 44,
Hugh Swansey of Chorley in 1566 held
a little land in Ribchester of Robert
Lynalx; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xi, no.
29. John Swansey in 1548 had held
lands, &c., in Ribchester and Mellor, but
they seem to have been sold to John
Southworth in 1559; Pal. of Lanc. Feet
of F. bdles. 13, m. 190; 21, m. 96.
Wilham Burleydied in 1558 holding
a messuage of the queen by knight's
service and the rent of 2s. 8d.; Robert
his son and heir was four years old;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xi, no. 57.
Robert died in 1617 holding as before
and leaving as heir a son William, forty
years of age; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc),
George Newshamof Newsham in 1585
held a messuage, &c., in Ribchester of
Hugh Shireburne, younger son of Sir
Richard, by a rent of 6d.; Duchy of
Lanc. Inq. p.m. xiv, no. 88. Henry
Newsham held of Richard Shireburne in
1619 by the same rent; Thomas his son
and heir was twenty-three years of age;
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc.), ii, 123.
Thomas Sowerbutts died in 1594
holding a messuage in Ribchester, formerly part of the chantry endowment;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvi, no. 20.
The Halgh family has been named
several times in former notes. It appears
that Richard Crompton of Bury in 1545
purchased four messuages and a watermill in Ribchester and Hothersall from
Nicholas and George Halgh; Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 12, m. 199, 211.
The purchaser made a settlement of his
estate in 1556, the remainders being to
George (son of John) Harper of Radcliffe,
and to Richard (son of John) Crompton
of Prestall; ibid. bdle. 17, m. 134. The
estate is very soon afterwards (1565)
found in possession of Thomas Greenhalgh, Jane his wife and Richard his son;
ibid. bdle. 27, m. 42. See T. C. Smith,
Michael Clarkson died in 1615 holding
Whitecarr fall in Ribchester of Richard
Shireburne; he bequeathed this to a
younger son John. William the son and
heir was only seven years old; Chan.
Inq. p.m. dxx, 67.
||Subs. R. Lancs, bdle. 130, no. 82.
||Ibid. no. 125.
Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Chej.),
i, 235; Smith, op. cit. 244.
John Rodes purchased a messuage from
Henry Preston in 1588; Pal. of Lanc.
Feet of F. bdle. 50, m. 57. He died in
1620 owning Halgh House in Ribchester
and other lands there of Richard Shireburne by 4s. rent; also lands in Dutton,
Clayton-le-Dale and Preston; Lancs.
Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), ii,
216. John his son and heir, then thirty
years of age, died in 1623, leaving two
daughters as co-heirs, viz. Ellen and
Margaret, aged four and three respectively; ibid, iii, 360. The Jauden House
was part of the estate.
Richard Ward was one of the purchasers from William Blackburn the
idiot; Ducatus Lanc, ii, 177, 219; iii,
120, &c. For the family see Smith,
op. cit. 256.
||Subs. R. Lancs, bdle. 131, no. 317.
John Osbaldeston, described as of Ribchester, compounded for his recusancy in
1630 by paying £2 10s. a year; Trans.
Hist. Soc. (new ser.), xxiv, 174.
Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.),
||The estates of the Dewhursts,
Walmsleys and Talbots suffered.
||Estcourt and Payne, op. cit. 91, 92.
They were Richard Trafford, brother of
John Trafford of Croston, and John
||In the possession of W. Farrer
('Honor of Clitheroe').
||Towneley MS. OO, no. 1508; the
'Maydya ford of Ribble' is named.
Adam the Ferryman is known from a
much earlier deed; he paid a rent of 8d.
for his land to William son of Richard de
Dutton, who released it to Adam de
Blackburn; Towneley MS. DD, no.
The Bibby family is of frequent
occurrence. Richard son of Bibby was
in 1292 non-suited in a claim against
Robert son of Ellis de Ribchester respecting certain lands; Assize R. 408, m.
57 d. William son of Richard son of
Bibby attested a charter of about the
same time; Add. MS. 32106, no.
Adam Bibby, no doubt the benefactor,
made claims for common of pasture in
1356 against Sir Adam de Hoghton and
others; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 5, m.
10 d. In the same year he granted to
John de Osbaldeston and William Moton,
chaplains, certain lands he had had from
William his father and John his brother,
lying in landoles in the field called Erley;
Add. MS. 32106, no. 456 (fol. 323).
He had given a messuage to his brother
Thomas in 1354; ibid. no. 208.
The land for the ferry may be the
Boathouse field named in the Osbaldeston
inquisition already cited.
||In 1669 an old bridge was replaced
by one destroyed in 1772 by a flood;
the present one was built two years
later; Smith, op. cit. 263.
||Boathouse Farm was purchased from
the Warren heirs (de Tabley) in 1854 by
Jonathan Openshaw; information of Mr.
James Openshaw, who adds that there
was formerly a ford a little above the
||The rental of 1609 shows that their
lands in Ribchester were then held by
Robert Burley (grandson of Robert, living
1544), who paid 2s. 8d. rent; John
Rodes, 2s. 11d.; John Greenwood,
2s. 2d.; Richard Walmesley, Fastandfield, 1s. 6d., &c.; Kuerden MSS. ii, fol.
132b. It was in 1544 that Richard
Crombleholme purchased Fastandfield,
land at Boys Bridge and other parts of
the Hospitallers' estate in Ribchester and
Dutton; Pat. 36 Hen. VIII, pt. xvii.
He sold much of it in parcels.
The lands held by the Holts of
Gristlehurst perhaps included both
Hospitallers' and Whalley lands; Duchy
of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxvi, no. 25.
||The grants have been recited above.
In 1365 Robert de Kendal claimed from
Alice daughter of John Wilcockson, John
de Turnley and Cecily his wife acquittance of the services demanded by the
Abbot of Whalley; De Banco R. 421,
m. 157; 424, m. 266 d.
About 1540 Geoffrey Dewhurst held
land in Ribchester at a rent of 2s. 1d.;
Whalley Couch, iv, 1242.
||Returns at Preston.
||48 Geo. III, cap. 79.
||T. C. Smith, Ribchester, 70–1;
Lancs. and Ches. Rec. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), i, 56 (award dated 1812)
||Nightingale, Lancs. Nonconf. ii,
An Anabaptist was living at Dilworth
in 1699, as appears by an entry in the
||Visit. P. at Chester Dioc. Reg.
||Smith, Ribchester, 56. For the convicted recusants in Ribchester and Dutton
c. 1670 see Misc. (Cath. Rec. Soc.), v,
End. Char. Rep. (Ribchester), 12.
His first trustees were Stephen Tempest
of Broughton and John Westby of Alston.
The bequest, at that time illegal, was
faithfully observed, though part of the
capital was lost. In 1844 Sir Charles
Robert Tempest claimed the right to
nominate a priest to serve Stidd Chapel,
and withheld the endowment from the
Bishop of Salford's nominees, until advised
by counsel that he had no right to do so.
'The trusteeship of the charity having
thus proved to involve no privilege,' the
legal estate was in 1884 transferred
to the Bishop of Salford and other
||Smith, op. cit. 210–13.