||Alston, 2,037 acres; Hothersall,
1,056; including 46 and 24 acres of
inland water respectively; Census Rep.
||Of these 1,865 were in Alston, including Longridge.
||Harland and Wilkinson, Legends and
Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), i, 50. Peter de
Burnhull paid 4s. for half a plough-land
in Alston held in thegnage in 1226;
ibid, i, 139. The 4s. rent was paid to
the Earl of Lancaster in 1297, but the
tenants' names are not recorded; ibid.
||In 1324 Nicholas D'Ewyas and
Robert de Holland held a moiety of the
manor of Alston by the service of 3s.
yearly; the other moiety was held by
Robert de Lathom, who rendered 12d.;
Dods. MSS. exxxi, fol. 39.
Again in 1346 Gilbert de Southworth,
in right of his wife, and Robert de Holland,
held the fourth part of a plough-land in
Alston by a rent of 3s., and Thomas de
Lathom also held the fourth part of a
plough-land by a rent of 12d.; Survey of
1346 (Chet. Soc.), 48.
A century later Richard Hoghton was
said to hold the fourth part of a ploughland by a rent of 12d. (for 3s.), and
Sir Thomas Stanley similarly by 12d.
rent; Extent of 1445–6 in Duchy of
Lanc. Knights' Fees, bdle. 2, no. 20. In
the former case the intermediate lordship
has been ignored.
||Add. MS. 32106, no. 226. A rent
of 3s. 9d. was to be paid to the grantor
and his heirs. The witnesses included
Sir William le Boteler (who died in or
before 1233) and Emery his son.
In 1282 William son of Jordan de
Preston and Alice his wife claimed the
latter's dower in half an oxgang of land
in Alston against Adam de Hoghton;
De Banco R. 47, m. 49.
||In addition to the manor the Hoghtons
purchased other lands in Alston. William
de Bury released to Richard son of Adam
de Hoghton all claim in Alston and in
Elmetridding in Chipping and Goosnargh, and Richard de Bury, brother of
William, in 1306 undertook to see that
the sale was carried through when William
should come of age; Add. MS. 32106,
no. 218, 225. Other acquisitions are
In 1312 Richard son of Adam de
Hoghton granted to Richard his son his
manors of Alston, Hothersall and Dilworth, together with the services of all
the free tenants; ibid. no. 708. At the
same time he notified the free tenants
concerning this gift; ibid. no. 721. A
year later, by fine, a moiety of the manors
of Alston, Hothersall and Dilworth was
settled upon Richard son of Richard de
Hoghton by Richard son of Adam de
Hoghton; Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), ii, 14. Thomas son of Sir
Adam de Hoghton in 1316 released to
Richard son of his brother Richard de
Hoghton all his claim to the manor of
Alston and lands in Hothersall, Dilworth,
Goosnargh, &c.; ibid. no. 710.
John son of William Jonesson de
Alston in 1349 made a feoffment of
3 acres lying together in the western part
of his field; the bounds began at Sir Adam
de Hoghton's land and went across the
grantor's field towards the east 'until
3 acres of land were fully complete';
ibid. no. 217.
Agnes wife of Adam de Bowland in
1350 gave 2 acres of arable land and an
orchard to her husband for his life; ibid.
no. 196. Afterwards (1362) she gave
him all the land descending to her after
the death of John son of William son of
John; ibid. no. 222. Two years later
Adam and Agnes granted the whole to
Sir Adam de Hoghton; ibid. no. 213.
In 1377 Sir Adam de Hoghton and
Ellen his wife made a settlement of a
moiety of the manors of Alston, Dilworth
and Hothersall; the remainder was to
Sir Henry, son of Sir Adam, and his
heirs male; Final Conc. iii, 3. The free
tenants in Alston appear to have been
Robert de Alston, William Albyn, Adam
de Ellel and John son of Adam de Ellel.
The settlement was probably varied, for
in 1386 Sir Adam de Hoghton released
his manors to the feoffees; Add. MS.
32106, no. 720. Sir Henry de Hoghton
does not seem to have had anything in
Alston (Lancs. Inq. p.m. [Chet. Soc.], ii,
43), but Sir Richard (son of Sir Adam)
de Hoghton gave to the feoffees his
manors, specially naming the moiety of
the manor of Alston; Add. MS. 32106,
no. 718. Again in 1415 Sir Gilbert de
Kighley and Ellen his wife (formerly wife
of Sir Henry de Conway and Sir Adam de
Hoghton) granted Sir Richard de Hoghton
their manor of Alston; ibid. no. 206.
Sir Richard held half the manor in 1422
by the rent of 3s.; Lancs. Inq. p.m.
(Chet Soc.), i, 146. In 1433 his successor Sir Richard granted John Elswick,
rector of Ribchester, a parcel of his waste
in the vill of Alston; Add. MS. 32106,
||This moiety is supposed to be that
settled upon Fromund de Norhampton
and Hawise his wife in 1321; Final Conc.
In 1363 Edmund Maunsell released
his right in a moiety of the manor of
Alston to Sir William de Windsor; Hist.
MSS. Com. Rep. x, App. iv, 226.
The Samlesbury lordship was recognized
in 1499 and 1519, when it was found
that Alexander and William Hoghton
had held a moiety of the manor of Alston
of Thomas Earl of Derby and John
(Thomas) Southworth by a rent of 7½d.;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iii, no. 66;
v, no. 66. In the later inquisitions (1559
onward) this moiety of the manor was
stated to be held of the sovereign as Duke
of Lancaster in socage; ibid, xi, no. 2, &c.
Bridget Brown, widow, held certain
land in Alston of the queen (the owner,
Thomas Hoghton, being a fugitive), and
also had a boat in the Ribble at Alston,
and gave to her nephew George Clarkson;
but at her death in 1578 or 1579 one
George Cawvell (Cowell) took possession,
claiming by grant of Thomas Hoghton;
Duchy of Lane. Plead. Eliz. ex, C 1;
exxi, C 12.
The younger Thomas Hoghton in Aug.
1581 granted to Elizabeth widow of
Alexander Hoghton, among other things,
the capital messuage called Alston Hall
for her life; Add. MS. 32106, no. 878.
||The tenure of this moiety of the
manor as recorded after the death of
Thomas de Lathom (1370) is singular,
but throws light on the second paragraph of the last note. It was stated
that he had held it of Thomas la Warr
by knight's service and a rent of 4s., and
that William de Windsor held it of him
by the same service; Duchy of Lanc. Inq.
p.m. ii, no. 7.
The moiety of Alston is named in the
inquisition after the death of Thomas,
second earl, in 1521. In right of
Samlesbury the Earls of Derby had alao a
share in the superior lordship of the other
moiety of the manor of Alston.
The rental compiled in 1522 (in the
possession of the Earl of Lathom) shows
that the free tenants paid 11s. 11½d.
rent; there are named Roger Elston
(formerly Richard Ellel), Christopher
Norcross, Ellis Ellel, John Alston and
Henry Hoghton (2s.); the Abbot of
Sawley paid 3s. 4d. for leading the water
from the Ribble to his mill near Sunderland Grange. The tenants at will (twelve
tenements) paid £12 6s. 4d. The manor,
demesne lands and water-mills had been
demised to John Cowell at a rent of
£7 4s.; a close in the demesne, called
Roberhagh, was demised to Robert Ellel
at 8s. rent. There were some small
rents also from improvements of the
waste. No courts had been held, nor
had any heriots or gressums been paid
during that year. The free rent of 12d.
due to the king for the manor had been
duly paid to the bailiff of Blackburnshire.
After the forfeiture of James, the
seventh earl, some of his messuages and
lands in Alston were sold by the Parliament in 1652; Royalist Comp. Papers
(Rec. Soc. Lanes, and Ches.), ii, 238.
The manor of Alston is named in a
recovery of the Earl of Derby's estates as
late as 1776; Pal of Lane. Plea R 623,
||Pal. of Lane. Feet of F. bdle. 387.
m. 114. The deforciants were Sir Henry
Hoghton and Frances his wife.
About 1830 the Alston Hall estate
was owned by the Riddells of Cheesburni
T. C. Smith, Chipping, 161.
||Robert lord of Alston granted an acre
in Alston to Robert son of William de
Whittingham at a rent of 4d.; Add. MS.
32106, no. 223. Mabot daughter of
Robert de Alston, a widow, released to
her brother Robert 'land with which she
had been freely married' to William son
of Walter de Penwortham; Dods. MSS.
lxx, fol. 155.
Roger son of Richard de Alston exchanged his part of Croneberihall in Eccleston for land in Alston with Adam de
Hoghton; to this Roger Gernet, Benedict
his son, Vivian Gernet and Thomas
de Beetham were witnesses; Add. MS.
32106, no. 208. About 1247 Roger de
Alston granted land to Walter son of
Richard son of Uctred at a rent of 12d.;
ibid. no. 348. The date is fixed by one
of the witnesses, Matthew de Redmayn,
being described as 'then sheriff.' By
another charter John de Alston gave his
three daughters (Joan, Maud and Katherine) all his land in Alston, a rent of 12d.
being due to Walter de Alston; ibid,
Roger de Alston and Richard his son
occur as witnesses; ibid. no. 197. Richard
de Alston was lord in 1257; Lancs. Inq.
p.m. i, 204.
In 1292 Grimbald de Alston was the
principal owner. William son of William
de Alston claimed the sixteenth part of
certain land and wood in Alston against
Grimbald, who had entry through Roger
de Alston, the grantee of Richard de
Alston; Assize R. 408, m. 68. William
son of Robert atte Yate also claimed the
sixteenth part of the same land; ibid.
m. 70 d. The jury rejected these claims,
as also a further one by William son of
William; ibid. m. 8 d.
Anabel widow of William de Porta
(atte Yate) released to Richard de Alston
her dower right in land which Richard and
Amery his wife had recovered by suit at
Lancaster; William son of William the
Clerk of Alston was a witness; Add. MS.
32106, no. 201; Assize R. 408, m. 31 d.
Adam de Alston obtained land from Adam
son of Gerard de Hothersall in Hehefield,
Whitecross, Brerecroft and Whitecarr;
Add. MS. 32106, no. 224. Robert son of
Swain de Hothersall gave Amery his
daughter and her issue all his land in
Algtonfield and 2 acres in Alstonholme;
ibid. no. 198. Then the above-named
William son of Robert de Porta gave
Richard son of Adam de Alston and
Amery his wife all his land in 'Lymwelridding' in the vill of Alston; Grimbald
de Alston was a witness; ibid. no. 204.
Then Amery widow of Richard granted to
Richard her son all her land in 'Lamewelridding' in 1321; ibid.no. 207. Richard
son of Hitchcock de Alston in 1325 sold
his land in Alstonholme to Sir Richard de
Hoghton; ibid. no. 199.
Alice widow of Grimbald de Alston
claimed dower in the manor of Alston in
1308 against Henry de Rimington and
Amery his wife; De Banco R. 170,
m. 200 d.
Swain de Hothersall gave Robert his
son the half oxgang of land in Alston which
Waltheof had held; a rent of 4d. was to
be paid; Add. MS. 32106, no. 197.
Robert son of Swain afterwards granted
Sir Adam de Hoghton all his land in the
Hokefield and in the Brerecroft, receiving
20s. in return; ibid. no. 215.
Adam son of Gerard de Hothersall gave
Robert son of Stephen de Hothersall and
Roger son of Roger of the same 3 acres in
Whitecarr, they releasing to him all their
right in 1½ oxgangs of land in Alston;
ibid. no. 205. William son of Adam de
Hothersall granted half an oxgang of land
in Alston (formerly held by Richard son
of Adam de Hoghton) to Adam son of
Adam and Amery de Hoghton; ibid,
no. 211. William le Boteler, 'then
sheriff,' was a witness, so that the date was
In 1373 William son of Henry de
Dutton purchased a messuage and land in
Alston from Richard son of John de
Hothersall and Emma his wife; Final
Conc. ii, 187; Add. MS. 32107, no. 203.
||The Shireburnes of Stonyhurst had
land in Alston, but the tenure is not
Edward Radcliffe of Dilworth in 1617
held land in Alston of Sir Richard Hoghton; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), ii, 52.
||In 1382 William Albyn of Alston
and Joan his wife held a third part of two
messuages and certain land in Alston;
Final Conc. iii, 14.
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and
Ches.), i, 107. Thomas Cutler, son and
heir of Thomas, was twenty-six years of
Royalist Comp. Papers (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), ii, 270–4. Benjamin Eccles
grandson of Thomas had in 1587 a lease
from the Earl of Derby. Samuel King
claimed the land in 1654, after the death
of Eccles, alleging that his father had
purchased from the earl. The sequestered two-thirds had been let in 1652 to
||Ibid, iii, 133–5. Thomas Grimshaw's right was derived from his wife
Jane, who as widow of one Thomas
Duddell had a capital messuage in Alston
and lands in Thornley. Jane having died
the property was in 1651 claimed by Roger
Sudell, in right of his wife Grace, daughter
of William Duddell, heir of Thomas.
William Sanderson, another recusant,
desired in 1654 to be allowed to contract
for his estate; Cal. Com. for Comp. v,
||Estcourt and Payne, Engl. Cath. Nonjurors, 102, 137, 140, 150. The other
names were: Anne Hothersall, widow,
Robert Tomlinson, John Duckworth
(Duckett) and Anne his wife and William
||T. C. Smith, Ribchester, 249. James
Norcross 'of Dilworth' in 1631 paid £10
on refusing knighthood; Misc. (Rec. Soc.
Lancs, and Ches.), i, 218.
||Dugdale, Visit. (Chet. Soc), 97.
Chart. R. (Rec. Com.), 27.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 50. Swain's
name occurs again in 1226; ibid, i, 139;
and the payment of the 5s. rent is recorded among the Earl of Lancaster's
receipts in 1297; ibid, i, 289. A charter
of Swain son of Robert is cited below
Swain had several sons. His grant to
Robert, one of them, has been cited
above; also a grant by Robert in Alston.
William Moton granted land in Ribchester to Richard son of Swain de
Hothersall; Add. MS. 32106, no. 284.
Alan son of Roger son of Swain de
Hothersall granted all his land to Adam
de Hoghton; ibid. no. 24, fol. 244.
There were other families taking a
surname from the place, but their connexion with Swain cannot be traced. For
instance, Adam son of Gerard, Robert
son of Stephen, Roger and Hugh occur
between 1250 and 1260; Lancs. Inq. and
Extents, i, 183, &c. Robert son of
Stephen de Hothersall confirmed part of
his land to Henry son of Geoffrey de
Ribchester; Add. MS. 32106, no. 23,
fol. 244. Adam son of Gerard de Hothersall gave his cousin Robert son of Stephen
parcels of land in Scalecroft and other
places in the field of Hothersall; ibid,
no. 1. The same Adam granted his
sister Godith's son William 5 acres in
the vill of Hothersall; ibid. no. 14.
Hugh son of William de Hothersall
gave his daughter Agnes various lands,
Roughley, Frendesforth, Oldfieldhalgh,
Brerefurlong, Crocland and Great Hold
being named. Hugh had a brother and
a son each named Roger; ibid. no. 4.
Roger son of Roger exchanged with
William son of Hugh certain lands, the
place-names including Oldfield, Reseditch, Bradleybone; ibid. no. 55. To
this deed Robert son of Stephen, Alan
his son, Thomas, Adam and Robert his
son, all ' de Hothersall,' were witnesses.
Other charters of Roger de Hothersall son
of Roger are in the same collection,
no. 20, 41, 51, 52. 'Thomas son of
Swain ' is named in several of them.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 204.
Thomas is no doubt the Thomas son
of Swain of the preceding note. Again,
Thomas de Hothersall and Richard his
brother attested a Dilworth grant (Add.
MS. 32106, no. 313), and Richard's
parentage has been shown. Robert the
son and heir of Thomas paid 5s. as relief
on succeeding; Originalia R. 41 Hen. III,
Adam de Hothersall and Richard his
brother gave half a mark for a writ in
1258–9; ibid. m. 6. They seem to have
been sons of Thomas.
Robert chief lord of Hothersall about
1280 granted Adam de Gouldebrough a
plat on the eastern side of Bradley, the
bounds beginning at Bolkin (or Bolin)
Brook and descending Ayothalgh, and
thence by lands of Sir Adam de Hoghton
and Richard de Bradley to the startingpoint; ibid. no. 47, fol. 248.
Robert son of Thomas de Hothersall,
Richard de Byron and Margery his wife,
Robert son of Stephen and William son
of Roger de Hothersall allowed Sir Adam
de Hoghton to make a mill on the Ribble;
ibid. no. 36. Margery was probably one
of the sisters Margery and Isabel, daughters
of Robert son of Stephen, who made a
grant in 1288 to Robert Ward of Hothersall and Mabel his wife; ibid. no. 38.
In 1292 the various disputes which had
arisen between Robert de Hothersall and
Adam son of Adam de Hoghton were
referred to the judgement of six men of
the district; ibid. no. 40.
In the same year Simon son of Agnes
de Ribchester and grandson of Henry son
of Hawise de Ribchester claimed various
messuages and lands against Thomas son
of Robert de Hothersall, against Robert and
William other sons, and against Adam
and John, other sons of Robert, but the
jury decided against him; Assize R. 408,
m. 35. Edusa daughter of Thomas de
Hothersall and widow of Adam de Dutton
formally acknowledged that she had released to Adam son of Thomas de Hothersall her right to certain land in the place;
ibid. m. 20. Edusa seems afterwards
(1308) to have denied her charter; De
Banco R. 173, m. 418 d.
||Dods. MSS. cxxxi, fol. 39. Thomas's
parentage is shown by a claim made in
1308–9 by Robert le Ward of Hothersall
respecting the eighth part of certain lands;
the defendants were Master Richard de
Hoghton and Thomas son of Robert de
Hothersall, whose widow Ellen was joined
in the defence 5 Assize R. 428, m. 1.
The father may be the Robert son of
Robert of 1292.
Richard son of Adam de Hoghton gave
Thomas son of Robert de Hothersall, in
free marriage with his daughter Margery,
lands in Eastwood, Uckemonsriddings, &c.,
in 1311; Add. MS. 32107, no. 349.
In 1339 Sir Richard de Hoghton, Thomas
son of Robert de Hothersall and Robert
le Ward claimed a tenement against John
son of Hugh de Stapleton; Assize R. 427,
m. 3 d.
Surv. of 1346 (Chet. Soc), 58. In
the preceding year Adam son of Sir
Richard de Hoghton, as feoffee, granted
to Robert de Hothersall and Maud his
wife various lands and services and the
reversion of those held as dower by Margery widow of Thomas de Hothersall;
Add. MS. 32107, no. 349b. That
Robert was the son of Thomas appears
from a suit in 1348; Assize R. 1444,
m. 8. He had a brother Richard living
in 1349 (Add. MS. 32106, no. 293), and
to Richard son of Thomas de Hothersall
had in 13 31 been granted by Agnes
widow of Richard de Turnley 2 acres in
the vill of Hothersall; ibid. 32107, no.
382. Another brother was Roger, to
whom in 1340 Robert de Hothersall
granted land in a place called the Leigh;
ibid. no. 378.
||Duchy of Lanc. Knights' Fees,
bdle. 2, no. 20.
In 1362 Adam de Threlfall, Silicia his
wife, Adam son of Robert de Hothersall,
Joan his wife and various others had a
dispute with Sir Adam de Hoghton respecting tenements in Hothersall; Add.
MS. 32107, no. 352; 32106, no. 39
In 1394 Adam de Hothersall made a
feoffment of all his lands, &c, in Alston;
Add. MS. 32107, no. 356. Adam in
1406 allowed Sir Richard de Hoghton to
alienate land for the endowment of the
new chantry in Ribchester Church; Add.
MS. 32106, no. 290. In 1414 Adam
son of Robert Hothersall granted Aspelcarr in Ribchester to his son Richard;
Kuerden MSS. iv, R 14. Adam was still
living in 1427, when he gave land called
the Intakes in Alston and Hothersall to
Ughtred Hothersall and Joan his wife,
daughter of John Catterall; Add. MS.
32107, no. 365. At the same time Adam
and Ughtred made a feoffment of lands in
Alston, Hothersall and Ribchester; ibid,
Ughtred was probably a grandson of
Adam. He was living in 1458 (Add.
MS. 32106, no. 295) and had a son and
heir Robert, named several times in the
reign of Edward IV 5 Add. MS. 32107,
no. 361, 376. Bernard was another son
(ibid. no. 383), who occurs in 1447; Pal.
of Lanc. Plea R. 10, m. 42. Katherine
wife of Ughtred HothersalJ gave a receipt
to Ellen widow of Richard Catterall in
1468; Add. MS. 32107, no. 386. Ughtred in 1470 released to William Cottam
of Alston various lands in Hothersall in
Alston which had belonged to Thomas
Hothersall; ibid. no. 366.
In 1479 Richard Towneley complained
that Ughtred, Robert and Gilbert Hothersall had broken into his close at Hothersall and cut down trees to the value
of 40s.; Pal. of Lanc. Writs Proton.
19 Edw. IV. Robert Hothersall seems
to have been the head of the family in
1487; Add. MS. 32106, no. 310. In
1493 John Towneley complained of
trespass by Robert Hothersall, Richard
Hothersall the elder and Richard the
younger; Pal. of Lane. Plea R. 77, m. 2.
At this point the succession is uncertain, but in 1533 John son of Robert,
son and heir of Richard Hothersall, was
contracted to marry Anne daughter of
John Talbot of Salesbury; Shireburne
Abstract Bk. at Leagram.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xii, no. 21.
The inquisition was not made until 1577.
No land in Alston is recorded, but he had
held 1½ acres in Ribchester of Robert
Robert Hothersall was involved in
tithe disputes in 1536–41; Ducatus Lanc.
(Rec. Com.), i, 155, 160.
||Gillow, Bibl. Dict, of Engl. Cath. iii,
George Hothersall, a son of John, was
educated for the priesthood at Rheimi
and Valladolid (1585–93); he returned
to England on the mission, but was
arrested and exiled, becoming a monk at
Douay in 1615. It is believed that he
returned to England and died in Lancashire
in 1633; ibid.
||Pal. of Lane. Feet of F. bdle. 41,
Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.),
Lancs. and Ches. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc.
Lancs, and Ches.), i, 166. 'Shuffling
John Hothersall' is mentioned by the
Puritan Nicholas Assheton in 1618;
Journal (Chet. Soc.), 99.
||Towneley MS. C 8, 13 (Chet. Lib.),
505. Thomas Hothersall is described as
thirty years of age and more.
||Dugdale, Visit. (Chet. Soc), 153.
||Gillow, op. cit. iii, 408.
||A settlement of the manor of
Hothersall and lands there and in Alrton
was made in 1673, Thomas Hothersall
being the plaintiff in the fine and William
Hothersall, with his son and heir Thomas,
the deforciants; Pal. of Lane. Feet of F.
bdle. 190, m. 70. William would be the
uncle of the former Thomas. William
Hothersall, Grace his wife and Thomas
Hothersall were among the recusants of
Alston in 1667; T. C. Smith, Ribchescer,
62. Thomas was outlawed for the same
in 1679–80; ibid. 63.
||Smith, op. cit. 227. As the father,
Thomas Hothersall, was living the estates
were not forfeited, but were left to the
daughters. The father died in 1720. His
will is in the Piccope MSS. (Chet. Lib.),
iii, 204, from and-3rd Roll of Geo. I at
Preston. By it he left Hothersall Hall to
Alexander Osbaldeston, as trustee for the
testator's daughters. See also ibid, iii,
380, from Roll 5 of Geo. III.
||Pedigree in Piccope MSS. ii, 233;
Gillow, op. cit. iv, 284. The descent is
thus given s William Leckonby of Eccleston in the Fylde m. Anne Hothersall
-s. Richard m. Mary daughter and heir
of William Hawthornthwaite of Stonyhurst and heir also of the Liveseye of
Sutton -s. William -da. Mary m. (1799)
T. H. Hele-Phipps of Wiltshire.
||In 1801 Thomas Ingilby was plaintiff
and William Rigby deforciant in a fine
respecting the manor of Hothersall and
tenements there; Pal. of Lanc. Lent
Assizes 41 Geo. III.
Robert Parker was residing at the
hall in 1825 (Lancs. Dir.) and — Martin
was owner about 1836; Baines, Lancs.
(ed. i), iii, 387.
||The estate, 'after passing through
several hands, became the property of the
late Jonathan Openshaw esq. of Bury, to
whose nephew, Frederick Openshaw, esq.
J.P., it now  belongs'; T. C.
Smith, op. cit. 227. Particulars are
given of a family picture of the Leckonbys. The same writer gives the legend
of the laying of the Hothersall Hall
devil; ibid. 73. For an account of the
Openshaw family see T. C. Smith,
||a The old house is described as having
been in a 'dilapidated state' when pulled
down; T. C. Smith, Longridge, 139.
||b The stone is illustrated ibid. 132.
||The Hoghton family's estate has
been referred to in preceding notes.
Adam son and heir of Adam de Hoghton
warranted to Agnes, his father's widow,
a messuage and land in Hothersall claimed
by John de Church and Alice his wife.
Alice was the sister and heir of William
and John de Hothersall, from whom
Adam de Hoghton the elder had had the
land; Assize R. 408, m. 50.
The estate was described as a moiety
of the manor in 1377; Final Conc. iii, 3.
Usually, however, no 'manor' is named
in the inquisitions, and the messuages,
lands, &c., are stated to be held of the
king as duke by services unknown;
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc), ii, 127;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iii, no. 66. In
1590 the estate is again called a manor,
but the service was unknown; ibid, xv,
||Many of the Hoghton charters have
already been cited from Add. MS. 32106,
fol. 241 on; 32107, no. 290, &c.
Swain son of Robert granted Octepranus son of Ughtred an eighth part of
the vill of Hothenall, to be held in free
thegnage by a rent of 7½d.; Add. MS.
32106, no. 19, fol. 243. This was probably the eighth part of the vill which
John son of Roger de Hothersall afterwards gave to Sir Adam de Hoghton;
ibid. no. 22. Sir Adam granted certain
easements in the eighth part of the vill;
ibid. no. 34.
Richard de Amethalgh and Christiana
his wife gave their daughter Avice the
lands they held of St. Saviour's Hospital.
The bounds began at a broken bank by
the Ribble, upon Hepewell, went north
by Merecliff to Stiropeclough, and so
down again to the Ribble; ibid. no. 5,
50. Avice married John de Wicklesworth, and this land was granted to Adam
de Hoghton in or before 1275; ibid. no.
6, 48, 53. Alice daughter of Avice de
Hothersall in 1274 gave Maud, her
mother's sister, her right in lands formerly
belonging to her uncle Henry; ibid,
Richard son of Hugh de Hothersall
granted Adam de Hoghton the homage
and service of Roger his brother and
Adam del Hurst and Agnes his wife,
Roger son of Hugh releasing all his right
in his mother Alice's dower; ibid. no.
The estate of Robert the Ward was
also acquired by the Hoghtons. Margery
and Isabel daughters of Robert son of
Stephen de Hothersall gave an acre of
land to Robert the Ward of Hothersall
and Mabel his wife in 1288; ibid. no. 38.
In 1292 Robert the Ward claimed common
of pasture against Robert son of Thomas
(de Hothersall) and Adam de Hoghton
but was non-suited; Assize R. 408, m.
9d. It seems probable, from a suit
already cited, that he had an eighth part
of the manor. Robert the Ward and
Mabel his wife acquired other lands down
to 1322; Add. MS. 32106, no. 7, 26, 42.
In 1344–5 Sir Richard de Hoghton had
a dispute with Alina widow of Robert
the Ward, who claimed the fourth part of
a moiety of messuages and land in Hothersall. She held a fourth part of the town
(or perhaps a fourth of the moiety) in
common with Sir Richard de Hoghton
and Adam de Hoghton, of whom the
former was lord of a third part and the
latter had a moiety of the town; Assize
R. I435, m. 37 d., 36. It was found
that Richard, Adam and Alina had
approved the tenements put in view, and
that Richard alone had disseised her.
In 1448 John son of Robert de
Freckleton claimed the eighth part of the
manor of Hothersall against Adam son
of William de Turnley, Margery his wife
and others, including Robert son of
Thomas de Hothersall, Sir Adam de
Hoghton and Mabel widow of Henry de
Turnley. Adam de Hoghton laid he was
lord of the manor, which was held of
him by knight's service. Adam de Turnley stated that Robert the Ward had had
the tenement settled on himself and his
heirs by Alina his wife, with remainders
to Henry de Turnley, Adam de Turnley
and Sir Adam de Hoghton. The
claimant admitted this, but said that
Henry de Turnley had released his right
to Alina while she was a widow, but the
verdict was against him; Assize R. 1444,
m. 8. Adam de Turnley then granted to
Sir Adam de Hoghton all his lands, tenements, rents, &c, in the vill of Hothersall; Add. MS. 32106, no. 8.
Sir Adam de Hoghton in 1375 made a
feoffment of his tenement called the
Blackgreve in Hothersall in the vill of
Alston; ibid. no. n.
||Pal. of Lane. Feet of F. bdle. 75,
no. 10. John Dewhurst had, in the time
of Elizabeth, purchased the lands in Ribchester and Hothersall previously held by
Crompton and Greenhalgh; see the
account of Ribchester.
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc, Lancs.
and Ches.), ii, 284.
William Dewhurst and Anne his wife
made a settlement of the manor of
Hothersall in 1649; Pal. of Lanc. Feet
of F. bdle. 146, m. 153. In a later fine
the deforciants were William Dewhurst,
Anne his wife, Henry Marsden, Janet
his wife and William Dewhurst, the
plaintiff being Lancelot Bolton; ibid,
bdle. 179, m. 142.
||Adam de Hurst in 1316 released to
Adam de Bradley his right in certain land
adjoining Sir Richard de Hoghton's;
Add. MS. 32106, no. 43 (fol. 247).
Richard de Amethalgh gave Thomas de
Bradley two small plats in a field called
'Cromanhalgh ' in 1318; ibid. no. 59.
In 1319–20 Adam de Bradley granted to
John his son and heir all the land in
Hothersall he had had from Richard son
of Adam del Hurst; Parlington D. He
also gave his son Thomas land which he
had had from his brother Richard; Add.
MS. 32106, no. 49. Thomas son of
Adam de Bradley gave lands to his
brothers Robert and John about the same
time; ibid. no. 37, 54. To his brothers
Simon and William he gave land in
'Cronershalgh '; Kuerden fol. MS. 55.
John son of Thomas de Bradley of Chippingdale in 1409 received 10 marks from
Nicholas de York, Abbot of Whalley, in
part payment for 'divers transgressions';
Thomas Hesketh of Rufford in 1523
held 8 acres in Alston and Hothersall by
services unknown; Duchy of Lanc. Inq.
p.m. v, no. 16. In 1556 Thomas
Bradley purchased lands in Aighton and
Hothersall from Sir Thomaa Hesketh
and Alice his wife; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of
F. bdle. 16, m. 12.
Thomas Bradley of Bradley in Thornley
in 1564 held a messuage, &c, in Hothersall of John Hothersall by a rent of 12d.
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xi, no. 37;
xvii, no. 28.
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), i, 179.
||John Seed the elder in 1596 purchased messuages, &c, in Hothersall from
Robert Dobson and Isabel his wife; Pal.
of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 59, m. 229.
Dying in 1629 John Seed was found to
have held his estate in Hothersall of the
king; John his son and heir was fifty
years of age; Towneley MS. C 8, 13
(Chet. Lib.), 1073.
The Kuerdens of Ribchester had lands
in Hothersall, Adam de Hoghton having
granted a parcel in Ravenhacclough to
Richard de Kuerden at a rent of 6d.;
Add. MS. 32109, fol. 17, no. 57. This
or adjoining land was in 1336 given to
Nicholas son of Thomas de Hothersall;
Towneley MS. C 8,13 (Chet. Lib.), K 18.
William son of John de Walton, perhaps
as trustee, secured a messuage and land
from Adam son of Roger de Kuerden and
Agnes his wife in 1352; Final Conc. ii,
132. The same Adam son of Roger
made an exchange of lands with Sir Adam
de Hoghton in 1383–4.; Add. MS. 32109,
fol. 57, no. 29.
Adam de Threlfall has been named
above. In 14.25 Adam Hothersall released to 'his brother' John Threlfall of
Goosnargh the elder all right in a messuage in the hamlet of Hothersall in the
vill of Alston 5 Add. MS. 32108, no. 880.
Edmund Threlfall of Ashes in Threlfall
in 1617 held land of John Hothersall by
a rent of 12d.; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec.
Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), ii, 92.
Richard Towneley of Towneley held
land in Hothersall in 1408–54; Lancs.
Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc), ii, 59. William
Cottamof Dilworth in 1475 granted land
received from Ughtred Hothersall to
Richard Towneley; Towneley MS. C 8,
13 (Chet. Lib.), C 108.
||Smith, op. cit. 250; A. F. Torry,
Founders and Benefactors, 68. Thomas
son of Edmund Naden of Hothersall was
admitted to St. John's Coll., Camb., in
1669; M.A. 1676. He died in 1714
and bequeathed his lands in Alston and
Hothersall to found an exhibition in the
college for students in divinity. The
lands, known as the College farms, were
sold in 1870 and the money invested in
consols; the income, about £240 a year,
is given to three 'Naden students.'
||Estcourt and Payne, Engl. Cath.
||There is entered '4d. of new rent of
a parcel of land from the lord's waste near
the chapel of Longerygge, containing
½ rood of land, enclosed by Richard Fairclough.'
||Raines, Chantries (Chet Soc.), 262,
||Robert Cottam, priest, and John
Tomlinson, church reeve, are named at
Longridge in 1554; yet in Raines' note
Robert Cottam is called a 'deacon only'
in 1556. 'He was grave and chaste,
could play on the musiques, and was no
tippler nor diceman'; ibid. 262. His
name is not given in the visitation lists.
It was one of the suspicious points in the
story of John Shireburne, rector of Brindle,
that Robert Cottam, once curate of Longridge, had paid him a visit during an
illness; see the account of Bury Church.
The chapel is named, without any
account of its use, in 1610; Hist. MSS.
Com. Rep. xiv, App. iv, 9.
Commonw. Ch. Surv. (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), 169.
Plund. Mins. Accts. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), ii, 202. He was nominated
by the inhabitants, and a stipend was
provided out of the tithes of Ribchester;
ibid. 223. He had formerly been stationed
||The income would cease at the
Restoration, so that the traditional ' ejection ' in 1662 was little more than
nominal. Timothy Smith continued to
preach in Longridge Chapel occasionally
till his death in 1679; T. C. Smith,
From entries in the Ribchester churchwarden's accounts it appears that 'the
king's minister ' and others occasionally
preached at Longridge from 1679 onwards;
Smith, Ribchester, 108–9.
||In a dispute as to the liability for
repairs in 1702 it was stated that for
sixty years past it had had 'prayers,
sermons and both sacraments in it.'
Three benefactors had given £5 a year
to a 'preaching minister,' and for that
Mr. Hargrave (curate of Ribchester)
preached there every fortnight in the
afternoon and had 'a very great congregation'; Chester Dioc. Reg.
Notitia Cestr. (Chet. Soc), ii, 474.
A rent-charge of 13s. 4d. was given in
1657 for a preaching minister; £30 was
given in 1673 and £50 in 1701 and
||Smith, Longridge, 60. The later
grants were in 1743–5 and 1756.
||They probably gave money to meet
the grants from the Bounty. Sir Henry
Hoghton presented Richard Dixon in
||Smith, op. cit. 59. Since the
trustees acquired the patronage the vicars
have been Hulmeian Exhibitioners of
Brasenose College, Oxford.
||The two tiers of windows were retained, though the windows themselves
A description of the church in 1870
is given in A. Hewitson's Our Country
||a From 1730 baptisms 'at Longridge
Chapel' are recorded in the Ribchester
registers; in 1702 there was a burial at
Longridge; Smith, Ribchester, 198, 202.
||b London Gaz. 8 Feb.
||The list is taken from papers at the
Diocesan Registry, Chester, with additions
from Smith's Longridge, 61–73, where
notices of the incumbents are given.
The curates have been styled vicars
since 1866; Lond. Gaz. 10 July.
||His nephew, Canon Parkinson of
Manchester, wrote of him: 'His income
from his living rose during the time ot
his incumbency from about £40 a year
to £140, where it stopped. The popula
tion in the meantime—of the worst kind
as far as ministerial labour is concerned,
being universally poor, and consisting one
half of Roman Catholics and almost all
poor hand-loom weavers—advanced from
about 4.00 to 2,000. During his incumbency he enlarged his small chapel,
without any expense to the place, so as
to hold 700 worshippers, and left behind
him what he did not find—a parsonagehouse. Nor was there erected (and this
is a singular exception in that district)
during his incumbency a single Dissenting
place of worship of any kind in his
chapelry'; Old Church Clock, 189. There
are monuments in the chapel to him and
his two successors.
||Rector of Whittington 1857.
||Rector of Alresford 1877.
||Vicar of Horton 1867, of Ellel
1869, and of Padiham 1874.
||Vicar of Briercliffe 1887–94.
Cal. S. P. Dom. 1672, pp. 198, 200.
||Gastrell, Notitia, loc. cit.
||A. Hewitson, op. cit. 88–92. There
were many convicted recusants in the
township in the time of Charles II;
Misc. (Cath. Rec. Soc), v, 161–3.
Sir Walter Vavasour, S. J., served there
at the beginning of the 18th century; Gillow, Haydock P. 63. At that time there
was also a domestic chapel at Hothersall.
Sir Walter registered his estate as a 'Papist'
in 1717, being described as 'of Alston';
Estcourt and Payne, op. cit. 316. He
was 'a reputed priest'; Smith, Ribchester, 63. A baptism by him in 1705
is recorded in the parish church register;
ibid. 197. He was buried at Stidd, 1740;
||Smith, Longridge, 77; a list of
priests in charge is given.