Townships
Whittingham

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)

Year published

1912

Pages

207-213

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Townships: Whittingham', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 7 (1912), pp. 207-213. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53220 Date accessed: 30 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

WHITTINGHAM

Witingheham, Dom. Bk.; Whitingham, 1199; Witingheham, Witingeheim, 1202; Hwytingham, 1246; Wytingham, 1257; Quytyngham, 1292.

Cumberhal, 1292; Cumberhalgh, 1301. Asshelegh, 1346.

This township has an area of 3,192 acres. (fn. 1) The western half or Lower End is Whittingham proper; the eastern half or Higher End (fn. 2) being formed of Comberhalgh or Cumeragh in the south and Ashley in the north. (fn. 3) Chingle Hall is three-quarters of a mile south of Goosnargh Chapel. Duxendean lies at the west end of the township. (fn. 4) The general slope of the ground is down from east to west and north to south, but the surface is intersected by many depressions, down which flow some brooks; the chief is Blundel Brook, flowing west south-west and for about two miles forming the southern boundary. Savock Brook is the boundary on the south-east. The ordinary population in 1901 was 805, but there were also 3,236 persons in the lunatic asylum as patients or attendants.

The principal road, from Preston and Broughton to Longridge, goes east through the centre; one cross road goes north to Goosnargh and another south to the above-named asylum. This is the chief institution in the township; it was built in 1869 by the county authorities and has a single line railway connecting it with Grimsargh station on the Preston and Longridge line. A large part of the township belongs to it.

The soil is clayey, and the land is chiefly in pasture.

The township is governed by a parish council.

The local legend of the Dun Cow Rib Farm is that there was once on the moors an old dun cow of great size, which had no owner but gave milk freely to all comers. An old witch once took a riddle instead of a pail, and the cow, mortified at being unable to fill it, died. The people much regretted its loss and preserved its ribs for a memorial. One of them is chained over the door of the farm-house named, which stands in Halfpenny Lane, near Longridge. It is a good type of the small stone-built 17th-century yeoman's dwelling, of two stories, with low mullioned windows and stone slated roof overhanging at the eaves and with a gable at each end. The front faces south with the door at its east end, and the east wall is blank except for an oriel window corbelled out on the first floor, the entrance to which, however, is blocked up on the inside. Over the door are the initials of Adam Hoghton and the date 1616, together with the Hoghton arms on a shield. Over the shield fastened to the wall with iron bands is the bone referred to, which is about 2 ft. long. The door is the original nail-studded one and retains its original heavy oak bar. The interior was modernized in the middle of the 19th century and the plan altered. The original oak staircase remains, but its position has been changed; partitions have been introduced and the ceiling raised. The house was also known as Moor House. (fn. 5)

Manors

Forming part of Earl Tostig's Preston fee in 1066, when it was assessed as two plough-lands, (fn. 6) WHITTINGHAM was afterwards a member of the barony of Penwortham and held with other lands by knight's service by the lords of Freckleton. (fn. 7) These, retaining one moiety in demesne, gave the other plough-land to subordinate tenants to hold by the eighth part of a knight's fee. In 1242 the tenants were Alan de Singleton, Warine de Whittingham and Robert de Dutton, (fn. 8) each, it would seem, holding equally. Soon afterwards, by steps unknown, this portion was held equally by the heirs of Singleton (fn. 9) and by the Hoghton family (fn. 10) ;. the Whittinghams may have failed in the legitimate line, or may have been compelled to sell part of thelr holding, as to the remainder of it becoming tenants of Hoghton. The mesne lordship of the last-named family was sometimes neglected (fn. 11) and sometimes regarded as the sole manor.

The moiety at first retained in demesne appears to have been acquired by one of the numerous offshoots of the Singleton family. (fn. 12) John de Singleton died in or before 1398 holding a moiety of the manor of the duke in chief, and leaving a son and heir Robert, only four years of age. (fn. 13) This moiety became subdivided, for in the 16th century it is found that the Singletons of Chingle Hall, offshoots of those of the Tower in Broughton, held of the king as of his duchy the twentieth part of a knight's fee in Whittingham (fn. 14) ; the Leylands of Morleys, as heirs of the Singletons of Withgill, the same, their estate having apparently been called the manor of FERMANHOLES (fn. 15) ; and the Shireburnes of Stonyhurst, whose estate was known as the manor of COMFORTH HALL, the fortieth part, (fn. 16) having acquired the share of the Clitheroes of Bailey. In all these shares form the eighth part of a knight's fee, corresponding with one plough-land of the ancient assessment.

The lordship of the manor was thus early divided into small fractions, held in many cases by nonresidents, and it is impossible to say what has become of all of the parts. The original Singleton Manor on a partition of estates between the heirs in 1564 was assigned to the Earl of Derby, (fn. 17) and about 1610 was acquired by the Heskeths of Rufford, (fn. 18) being held by them for a long time as the manor of NETHER WHITTINGHAM. (fn. 19) The Hoghton Manor was sold or mortgaged in 1631. (fn. 20) Fines and suit of court were claimed for the superior manor of Penwortham as late as 1544. (fn. 21)

The chief resident family was that of Whittingham, but in the 16th century that of Singleton of Chingle Hall became important for a time. There were several minor houses.

Warine de Whittingham occurs as early as 1210, (fn. 22) and is no doubt the Warine who had possession of a share of the manor in 1242 and 1246. (fn. 23) In 1232–3 he made an agreement with Alan de Singleton and his partners of the vill of Whittingham for a division of the wood into two parts, of which Warine was to have the northern part and Alan and the others the southern. (fn. 24) Warine was apparently succeeded by his son Adam, (fn. 25) who was living in 1257, (fn. 26) and he by his son John. Adam's younger son Geoffrey became an idiot, (fn. 27) and on his death in 1310 his heirs were found to be his sisters Alice {wife of John de Singleton) and Margery, and another Margery daughter of his third sister Christiana. (fn. 28)

John de Whittingham, (fn. 29) who was living in 1309, (fn. 30) was succeeded by a son William, (fn. 31) who made numerous grants of lands to his children, (fn. 32) and was about 1347 (fn. 33) succeeded by his son Adam, (fn. 34) followed by a son William, (fn. 35) and a grandson Adam, (fn. 36) described as 'lord of Whittingham.' (fn. 37) This was probably the Adam Whittingham who accompanied Henry V to France and died at the siege of Harfleur in 1415. (fn. 37a) The next in possession was a William Whittingham, probably son or brother of Adam (fn. 38) ; he died in 14.37 holding the manor of Whittingham of Sir Richard Hoghton by knight's service and a payment of 7½d. yearly; also holding messuages and land in Ashley of the same Sir Richard by knight's service and 7d. John his son and heir was five years of age. (fn. 39)

John Whittingham (fn. 40) was about 1500 succeeded by his son Thomas, (fn. 41) who married Joan daughter of John Singleton of Withgill, (fn. 42) and had a son Roger, (fn. 43) who came to a violent end about 1521. Thomas died in 1530 (fn. 44) holding various messuages and land in Whittingham of the king as of his duchy by the thirtieth part of a knight's fee and a rent of 7½d.; his son Roger had left a son Richard, who was the heir, being then ten years old. (fn. 45) Richard died in or before 1552 holding similarly and leaving a son Thomas, ten years old. (fn. 46) Thomas in or before 1566 married Bridget sister and co-heir of Richard Browne of Ribbleton. (fn. 47) A pedigree was recorded in the following year. (fn. 48)

Like his neighbours, Thomas Whittingham was hostile to the change of religion made by Elizabeth, but on being summoned before the Bishop of Chester about 1577, as a person suspected, he affirmed that he went to church and was conformable. (fn. 49) The conformity may have been external merely, for two of his grandsons became Jesuits, one of them being a prisoner in Newgate for some years. (fn. 50) Thomas was living in 1590, (fn. 51) but before 1600 had been succeeded by his son Richard, (fn. 52) who died in 1611 holding lands in Whittingham, Ashley and Comberhalgh of the king by the twentieth part of a knight's fee. His son Thomas, twenty-five years old, (fn. 53) followed and held possession (fn. 54) all through the Civil War period, (fn. 55) recording pedigrees at the visitations in 1613 (fn. 56) and 1664. (fn. 57)


Whittingham of Whittingham. Argent a fesse azure, over all a lion rampant gules.

He died in 1668, and was, it appears, succeeded by his grandson Thomas. The estate descended in the male line (fn. 58) to Richard Whittingham, who sold it in 1779, and died soon afterwards without issue. It was purchased by Edward Pedder of Preston, and descended in his family till about 1866, when it was again sold. It now belongs to the asylum.

CHINGLE HALL first appears by name in 1354, when it was held by Robert son of Adam de Singleton, (fn. 59) a descendant of the Alan de Singleton who held part of the manor in 1242. It was about 1500 settled, apparently by a family arrangement, upon John Singleton, a younger son of William Singleton of Broughton Tower. (fn. 60) He died about 1530, (fn. 61) and his son William in 15 41, (fn. 62) Chingle Hall being then recorded as held of the king by the twentieth part of a knight's fee. (fn. 63) John the son and heir was twenty-nine years old, but he died only three years later, leaving a son Thomas, aged one year, (fn. 64) and Thomas dying shortly afterwards, a younger son John became heir. (fn. 65) John Singleton held the manor of Chingle Hall, with windmill, &c., till his death in 1571, and then, his son William having just died, the heir was a daughter Eleanor, four years old. (fn. 66) She became an idiot, (fn. 67) and died in 1585, when her heirs were Anthony Wall of Preston, Thomas Preston, Katherine wife of Thomas Eccleston and Jane wife of Christopher Harris. (fn. 68) After some disputation (fn. 69) the hall became the property of Anthony Wall, (fn. 70) in whose family it remained till 1764. It was then purchased by a family named Singleton, and about 1860 was sold to Richard Newsham of Preston. (fn. 71) Soon afterwards the hall was acquired by the trustees of Goosnargh Hospital, the present owners. (fn. 72)

The hall stands on rising ground a little less than half a mile to the north of the Blundel brook. It is now a two-story farm-house very much modernized and retaining little of its ancient appearance. The front faces south with a projecting gable towards the east end, and a new wing has been built at the back. The walls appear to be of brick on a stone base, but are now covered with stucco, and all the windows are modern, but the front door is the original 17thcentury one of oak with Y knocker and ornamental hinges. The chief interest of the house lies in the well-preserved remains of the moat on the south side, crossed by a 'bridge' or passage-way with cobble paving and low brick walls.

The family of Singleton of Brockholes and Bank Hall in Broughton was represented in Whittingham, holding of the Prior of St. John by a rent of 12d. (fn. 73)

ASHLEY (fn. 74) and COMBERHALGH (fn. 75) gave surnames to landholders there. Families named Wawne, (fn. 76) Fishwick, (fn. 77) Taylor, (fn. 78) Walton, (fn. 79) and Braboner (fn. 80) were connected with these parts of the township. Comberhalgh now belongs to the trustees of Lady Marling. The house has long since disappeared. (fn. 80a)

Among the early families of note were those of Bradkirk, (fn. 81) who seem to have been followed by Parker of Whittingham House; Elswick, (fn. 82) perhaps succeeded by Southworth of Samlesbury; Goosnargh, (fn. 83) and Preston. (fn. 84) Later that of Waring occurs. (fn. 85) George Waring died in 1557 holding two messuages in Over Whittingham of Thomas Whittingham by a rent of 5s. 3d., and owning land in Nether Whittingham also. (fn. 86) The family can be traced down to the 18th century; the site of their house, Got Field, is part of the Asylum estate. (fn. 87) Thomas Salisbury died in 1630 holding Lower House in Whittingham of Thomas Singleton (fn. 88) ; Christopher his brother and successor died in 1641. (fn. 89) A number of other owners occur in the inquisitions. (fn. 90)

Cockersand Abbey. (fn. 91) the Knights Hospitallers, (fn. 92) and the Franciscans (fn. 93) of Preston had land in the township.

Only one or two sequestrations appear in the Commonwealth period, (fn. 94) but some 'Papists' registered estates in 1717. (fn. 95)

The Presbyterians had a licensed meeting-place in 1689, (fn. 96) but it has disappeared.

The Wesleyan Methodists began services in a disused cotton factory, but in 1831–2 a chapel was built, which continues in use. (fn. 97)

There was a large number of convicted recusants in Whittingham about 1670, (fn. 98) and Roman Catholics formerly had a chapel at Duxendean at the west end of the township, but it was taken down in 1840. (fn. 99)

Footnotes

1 The 1901 Census Rep. gives 3,193 acres, including 2 of inland water.
2 This seems to have been known as Alley tithing in 1671. The name may be the Heyley of the Hospitallers.
3 Notitia Cestr. (Chet Soc), ii, 421.
4 Henry Waring, in right of the Earl of Derby, claimed a waste called Duxendean, &c., in 1587; Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), iii, 207.
5 Gillow, Haydock Papers, 64–6. The estate came into the possession of Anthony Lund, priest at Fernyhalgh in Broughton, and in 1808 he settled it upon St. Cuthbert's College, Ushaw. The bone is not a cow's rib; Fishwick, Goosnargh, 192; Harland and Wilkinson, Lancs. Legends, 16–19. For Moor House see notes 86 and 95 below.
6 V.C.H. Lancs. i, 288a.
7 Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 36. In 1324 again Whittingham was described as part of the Freckleton lordship, the immediate tenants not being recorded: Dods. MSS. cxxxi, fol. 39b.
8 Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 152. From note 12 below it will be seen that Alan was the common ancestor of the various Singleton families.
One of the divisions may be due to an arrangement in 1202 by which Roger de Freckleton confirmed 8 oxgangs of land in Whittingham and Elswick to William de Winwick and Maud his wife in exchange for other lands there and elsewhere; Feet of F. Yorks. 4 John, no. 45.
Maud, called 'de Thornton' or 'daughter of Robert,' gave land in Whittingham to Cockersand Abbey, 3 acres with her body, and 6 acres (in Flecher Oatley) for the soul of her lord William de Winwick; Chartul. (Chet. Soc), i, 231–2. The Abbot of Cockersand in 1246 made an agreement with Alice de Thornton (daughter of Maud) as to land in Whittingham; Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 103.
9 William father of Adam Banastre was in 1323 found to have died seised of lands in Whittingham held of Adam lord of Freckleton by paying 2s. when a scutage of 40s. was demanded (i.e. by the twentieth part of a knight's fee); Lancs. Inq. and Extents, ii, 159. Adam Banastre, then a minor, seems to have had but a small revenue; ibid. 113.
As in other cases, the Banastre inheritance descended to Balderston and became divided among the heirs of this family, the later fines and inquisitions showing portions to have been held by Thomas Earl of Derby, 1521 (succeeding Harrington); Alexander Osbaldeston, 1544; William Radcliffe of Winmarleigh, 1561, and Gilbert Gerard, 1593.
10 Hoghton succeeded Dutton before 1290. Robert de Dutton gave his brother Hugh part of the wood of Whittingham; Towneley MS. DD, no. 1913. Hugh de Dutton granted land to Alexander son of Randle de Goosnargh, the bounds of it going down to Ashley Clough, by the clough to the high way, thence to the carr, and round to the starting-point; Add. MS. 32106, no. 324. Adam son of Sir Adam de Hoghton about 1284 (Gilbert de Clifton being sheriff) released to the eame Alexander all his claim in that oxgang of land which Robert de Dutton had granted to Randle father of Alexander; ibid. no. 320.
A sixth part of the manor of Whittingham was in 1306 included in the estate of Richard son of [Sir] Adam de Hoghton; Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 207. This seems to show that at that time the 'manor' was the moiety granted out, and that each of the three holders shared equally. Nevertheless in 1322 Richard de Hoghton was said to hold the manor of Whittingham by the eighth part of a knight's fee of the honour of Penwortham; Lancs. Inq. and Extents, ii, 136.
In 1422 Sir Richard Hoghton was said to hold a moiety of the manor of Whittingham by the sixteenth part of a knight's fee, paying 7½d. for castle ward and 6d. to Penwortham; Lancs, Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), i, 146. Lands in Whittingham were in 1479 enumerated among the possessions of Henry Hoghton held by knight's service, but nothing was said of any 'manor'; Lancs. Rec. Inq. p.m. no. 47, 48. Later, in the inquisition after the death of Alexander Hoghton, his lands in Whittingham and Comberhalgh were said to be held of the king, but the tenure was unknown; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iii, no. 66. Later still Sir Richard Hoghton, who died in 1630, was found to have held his 'manors' of Whittingham and Comberhalgh of the king as of his duchy by the twentieth part of a knight's fee; ibid, xxvii, no. 13. This is the same as the Banastre tenure of 1323.
11 Compare the tenures of William and Thomas Whittingham in 1437 and 1530.
12 Richard de Freckleton gave land in Comberhalgh to Richard Drury; Towneley MS. DD, no. 1915. Richard son of William Drury claimed 4½ acres in Whittingham against Master Robert de Singleton in 1295; De Banco R. 110, m. 73; 111, m. 39 d. William son of Robert de Singleton was plaintiff in 1317–18, and Randle de Singleton in 1319; De Banco R. 220, m. 376 d.; 223, m. 27; 231, m. 109 d.
In 1324 a jury decided that Richard de Hoghton was lord of one-sixth of Comberhalgh—a distinct hamlet in Whittingham—and Randle de Singleton of the remainder, various minor tenants being defeated, viz. Maud widow of Thomas de Kendal, Adam de Elswick, Thomas son of Hugh de Goosnargh, and Hugh son of Randle de Goosnargh; Assize R. 425, m. 5 d.; Add. MS. 32106, no. 340. As a result Richard Drury released all his claim in the sixth part of Comberhalgh to Richard de Hoghton; ibid. no. 180, 319 (fol. 274, &c.). In 1332 Richard Drury made claims against William son of Alexander son of Adam de Elswick and against Sir Richard de Hoghton and Randle de Singleton; Assize R. 1411, m. 12.
Randle's lordship appears to have been derived, in part at least, from a grant by Joan widow of Thomas Banastre to her brother Randle de Singleton of all her part of Comberhalgh and all her lands in Whittingham at the rent of a pair of gloves; Dods. MSS. cxlix, fol. 74b. In 1324 Randle granted to Adam son of John de Singleton a fourth part of all the wood and waste between Brunden and the Crombrook in Comberhalgh for the rent of a pair of spurs; Add. MS. 32106, no. 671. Ten years later there was a dispute between William son of John de Whittingham and Alice widow of John de Singleton on one side and Sir Richard de Hoghton and Randle de Singleton on the other as to an approvement of waste between Brunden and Ashley; Towneley MS. DD, no. 1854. See the note on Pleasington below.
In 1246 Adam de Singleton claimed part of an oxgang of land as part of his inheritance from Thomas his father; Assize R. 404, m. 9.
The Shireburne abstract book preserved at Leagram Hall throws light on the Singletons of Whittingham. It appears that Alan de Singleton (whose wife was named Alice) had two sons named William, and the younger of them gave lands in Whittingham to Robert and Alan, sons of his brother William. Robert had a son John, who by his wife Alice (a widow in 1319) had a son Adam, whose son Robert had Chingle Hall from his father in 1354. This Robert with Alice his wife had a grant from Sir T. Banastre in 1372. See notes 28, 59.
Alan the (? elder) brother of the former Robert granted lands in Comberhalgh to his son Henry. Gilbert (of Broughton) and Randle were apparently other sons.
13 Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), i, 69. It was probably the daughter of this John de Singleton (Margaret) who married Robert son and heir of Nicholas de Clitheroe of Bailey in 1403; Shireburne Abstract Book.
14 See below.
15 Something has been said of this family in preceding townships (e.g. in the account of Middleton in Goosnargh), but a clear descent is wanting.
Henry son of Thomas de Singleton in 1361 leased to Robert son of Adam de Singleton his manor of Fermanholes with mills and lands in Whittingham; Shireburne Abstract. Henry de Singleton had Fermanholes in 1394, in which year his son William is named as having been indicted for waylaying and killing one of the king's justices; Cal. Pat. 1391–6, p. 388. William Singleton of Withgill—obviously the William Singleton of Fermanholes of another writ—complained in 1408 that he had been outlawed unjustly; Add. MS. 32108, no. 1583, 1636. From the pedigree given below it would appear that this estate went to another Singleton family, previously of Chingle Hall.
Sir William Leyland of Morleys married Anne daughter and heir of Alan Singleton of Withgill; Visit. of 1533 (Chet. Soc.), 88. Sir William died in possession in 1547 holding lands in Whittingham and Ashley of the king as of his duchy by the twentieth part of a knight's fee; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. ix, no. 43. Similar statements were made in later inquisitions, as in that of his son Thomas in 1564 (ibid, xi, no. 20) and that of Edward Tyldesley of Morleys in 1621; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 261.
Richard Whittingham in 154.3 complained that Thomas Leyland of Withgill and others had entered 'a great waste ground containing 100 acres and more, with divers cottages built there,' which had belonged to plaintiff and his ancestors. Thomas Leyland replied that a certain John Singleton his ancestor had inherited the 'manor of Fernarweles,' which included the said waste, and he gave the following pedigree: John Singleton -s. Robert -s. Alan -da. Anne. Plaintiff denied the existence of such a manor; Duchy of Lanc. Dep. 35 Hen. VIII, xxxix, W 4.
Part at least of the Tyldesley estate (Ashley) was in 1681 sold by Edward Tyldesley of Myerscough to Thomas Patten of Preston and Thornley, from whom it has descended to the Earl of Derby; information of Mr. Windham E. Hale.
16 Sir Richard Shireburne was found to have held it in 1594, as also Richard his son in 1628; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvi, no. 3; xxvi, no. 4.
The manors of Comforth Hall and Whittingham are named among the Shireburne estates in 1579; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 41, m. 199.
17 Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 216, m. 10.
18 In a fine of that year respecting this and other manors Robert and Richard Hesketh were plaintiffs and Thomas Lord Ellesmere, Alice his wife, Sir Thonrn Leigh and Thomas Spencer were deforciants; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 74, no. 28.
19 It occurs in a feoffment by Robert Hesketh of Rufford in 1696; ibid. bdle. 237, m. 52. Again in a recovery in 1748; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 569, m. 8 d.
20 In a fine of that year respecting the manor of Whittingham only Miles Berry and Samuel Knott were plaintiffs and Sir Gilbert Hoghton deforciant; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 120, no. 17. It does not occur again among the family manors, but land in Whittingham was sold by Sir Henry Hoghton in 1772 to William Shawe; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 615, m. 7 d.
21 Duchy Plead. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 200.
22 Farrer, Lancs. Pipe R. 115, &c. Warine was a benefactor of Cockersand Abbey, giving the canons an acre in Kilnehalgh; Chartul. (Chet. Soc.), i, 232.
23 He was plaintiff in the latter year; Assize R. 404, m. 3. He complained that he had been disseised of common of pasture by Robert de Freckleton and others, and recovered.
At the same time Maud widow of one Thomas de Whittingham claimed a messuage against Alexander the Clerk, Maud his wife and Randle de Goosnargh. Maud said she had recovered the land c 1228–9 against Alice de Singleton and had had possession for seventeen years. She recovered; ibid. m. 5.
It should be noticed that Warine had a son Richard, occurring 1246; Richard had a wife Hawise and a son Warine; Cockersand Chartul. i, 184; Final Conc. i, 99. He had also a son John in one deed described as 'lord of Whittingham'; Towneley MS. DD, no. 1906.
24 Add. MS. 32106, no. 327. The bounds began at 'Barndehurt' and were defined by marked oaks, brooks and ditches as far as the White Oak at Crostanesnape.
Warine granted land within certain bounds to Simon his son, Richard de Goosnargh and Randle his brother being witnesses; Towneley MS. DD, no. 1909. To Henry, another son, he granted an oxgang of land to be held by knight's service, eight plough-lands there making a knight's fee; ibid. no. 1838. Geoffrey the clerk, another son, had land on the west of Smalldene, the service for 1 oxgang of land to be rendered for it; no. 1853. The date of this lies between 1235 and 1241, Simon de Thornton being sheriff. It was probably this Geoffrey who was a juror in 1247; Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 166.
25 Warine de Whittingham granted his son Adam an assart within certain bounds; Towneley MS. DD, no. 1835.
26 Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 210. To Cockersand Abbey he gave two-thirds of an oxgang of land, the bounds touching Whitacreley, Brundene and Blenesgill; Cockersand Chartul. i, 230. As Adam son of Warine he attested a grant made by Robert son of Warine to his son Adam of land in Hevesclough; DD, no, 1907. From John de Whittingham and Adam son of Geoffrey, be Whittingham he acquired the sixth part of a mill called Cowanthwaite, also a part of Hurst from John son of Richard de Whittingham; ibid. no. 1892, 1900. To Richard Drury he gave 8 acres in the north of Comberhalgh; no. 1901.
27 Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 274. An account of his lands is given in 1297; ibid. 283. As his sisters were heirs, the father must have married twice.
28 Ibid, ii, 1. His 'manor' of Whittingham was held of John de Whittingham by a rent of 4d.; he also held a messuage and land of the Prior of St. John of Jerusalem by 2s. 10d. rent.
William de Whittingham, clerk, acknowledged that he owed the prior 43s. 4d. in 1292; Assize R. 408, m. 51. This is perhaps the William who is mentioned in 1293 and took precedence of John de Whittingham in 1297; Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 281, 282.
A grant of land by William de Whittingham to Richard his son was attested by William de Whittingham, clerk, and John de Whittingham; DD, no. 1873.
John de Singleton and Alice his wife frequently occur. They were plaintiffs in respect of lands in Whittingham in 1308–9, while Geoffrey son of Adam was an idiot and his tenement in the king's hands; Assize R. 423, m. 1 d.
In 1311 William de Ravenshaw obtained part of Alice's inheritance from her and her husband, and Adam le Fevre had another portion; Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), ii, 12, 13.
Richard de Hoghton in 1324–5 recovered 40s. rent from lands in Whittingham, Haighton and Broughton against Alice widow of John de Singleton and Adam and Thomas hit sons; Assize R. 426, m. 8.
Alice widow of John de Singleton in 1314–15 gave lands to Adam uon of Alan son of Gilbert de Whittingham; DD, no. 1784. She was living in 1329, when an agreement was arrived at between her, her son Adam and Sir Richard de Hoghton as to the wood of Haylegh Shaw in Whittingham; they surrendered it to him for a release of the above-named rent of 40s.; Add. MS. 32106, no. 319; also no. 331.
29 John son of Adam son of Warine de Whittingham in 1306 claimed 6 acres in the township against Richard son of William de Whittingham; De Banco R. 151, m. 206; 162, m. 258. John de Whittingham had been engaged in disputes with neighbours concerning a mill dam and the diversion of the course of a boundary brook in 1284 and 1294; Assize R. 1268, m. 13; 1299, m. 15.
As John de Whittingham he made grants to William his eldest son, to Richard de Feris (the land by the mill pool), to Henry son of Richard, and to Adam his uncle; DD, no. 1780, 1807, 1834, 1914, 1902, 1905, 1908.
About the same time there was another of the name, son of Richard de Whittingham, who made various grants; ibid. no. 1896 (in the field of Ashley), 1898, 1916–17. Also William son of Amery de Whittingham, defendant in 1309 to a claim by John son of Richard de Hothersall; De Banco R. 178, m. 255 d.
30 Inq. p.m. of Geoffrey, above cited.
31 He attested a deed in 1314–15, so that he had probably succeeded his father by that time; DD, no. 1784. In 1315 he was called to warrant by Richard son of Amery de Comberhalgh; De Banco R. 212, m. 302. The following year he received land in Will croft from Adam son of Alot and regranted to Adam and Millicent his wife; DD, no. 1804, 1837.
As William son of John de Whittingham he gave to Richard Wawayn (afterwards Wawne) land within bounds beginning (on the north side) at the lower head of a certain ditch on Spenclough bank, following the ditch south to the upper head, by a hedge west to the cross-marked oak, thence along Spenclough north to the starting-point, together with another piece of land, at a rent of 2s. Various easements were allowed, including a proportion of wood for building and burning from the common wood of Whittingham; Court of Wards and Liveries, Deeds and Evid., box 13 A, no. FD 17. William son of John also made a grant to Adam de Whittingham the Smith; DD, no.1852.
William de Whittingham and Alice his wife obtained certain land in the Eves; ibid. no. 1889. The same William and Alice obtained a grant from Robert de Greenfield in 1322–3, and were re-enfeoffed by Robert son of John de Singleton in 1327; ibid. no. 1794–5, 1775.
32 Several giants have been preserved to Roger, William and Cecily; DD, no. 1899, 1903, &c. In 1346 William de Whittingham and Adam his son made an agreement whereby the lands formerly belonging to William son of William should go to Adam, who had granted land to his sister Cecily for life and other land to Henry the son of William (son of William); ibid. no. 1826.
Roger had a son Robert who in 1368 was married to Maud daughter of John de Clare and had lands in Whittingham settled with remainder to William son of Adam de Whittingham; ibid. no. 1776.
33 William son of John de Whittingham and Alice his wife were in 1344 and 1347 defendants to a claim for 12 acres put forward by Henry son of Thomas de Comberhalgh; Assize R. 1435, m. 45d., 33d.
34 Adam son of William son of John de Whittingham was plaintiff as early as 1314–15, his father being defendant, with regard to certain messuages in Whittingham; Assize R. 424, m. 6. It appears that the father had married a daughter of Adam de Lever of Lever.
In 1327 his father William gave him land in Whittingham on his marrying Aline; DD, no. 1787. At the same time Adam made a grant of land in Ashley clough and Eves clough to his brother Roger; DD, no. 1781.
Adam de Whittingham in 1352 gave land to Vale Royal Abbey for a tithe barn; ibid. no. 1862.
35 In 1364 Adam son of William de Whittingham gave certain lands in Ashley to his son William, with remainders to John and Thomas, other sons of the grantor, and then to Robert son of Roger de Whittingham; ibid. no. 1836.
Adam must have died soon afterwards, for in 1369 William de Whittingham and Maud his wife made a settlement of the manor of Whittingham, the remainders in default being to John and Thomas, brothers of William, to Robert de Whittingham and to Cecily and Aline daughters of William; ibid. no. 1828–7. Maud was a widow in 1384–5; no. 1812, 1874–5.
In 1377–8 John de Whittingham, probably the brother of William, received certain land from the trustee; Add. MS. 32107, no. 1050.
36 Maud widow of William de Whittingham, Adam his son and William son of Thomas de Singleton in 1383 agreed to sell to Richard de Hoghton the wardship and marriage of John son and heir of Robert de Singleton; Add. MS. 32106, no. 339.
Adam de Whittingham attested charters in 1390–1; DD, no. 1877, 1880. In 1394–5 Maud the widow of William de Whittingham and William de Singleton the elder made a feoffment of the manor of Whittingham, and then Maud and Adam de Whittingham contracted that Adam should marry Alice sister of Edmund Skillicorne; no. 1830, 1872. In 1398–9 Adam de Whittingham and Alice his wife received the manor of Whittingham from the trustees; no. 1829.
37 Adam de Whittingham, lord of the same, granted to Thomas Browne, Robert de Bispham and John Browning turbary and pasture in respect of a tenement formerly William de Cottam's; DD, no. 1863. From another deed (no. 1811) it appears that Thomas Browne, chaplain, was son of Maud Ward, daughter and heir of William Cottam.
37 a Exchequer K. R. Accts. bdle. 46, no. 17.
38 There does not seem to be any evidence on this point, except the untrustworthy pedigree of 1567.
39 DD, no. 1474; Dep. Keeper's Rep. xxxiii, App. 37. Elizabeth widow of William Whittingham soon afterwards leased her lands in Whittingham, Goosnargh and Comberhalgh to Sir Richard Hoghton for sixteen years; Add. MS. 32106, no. 875. John Whittingham in 1467 gave to trustees lands of Elizabeth his mother; DD, no. 1857. She was living in 1476, being then widow of Peter Radcliffe; Kuerden fol. MS. 357.
40 In 1456–7 John son and heir of William Whittingham married Elizabeth daughter of John Boteler of Kirkland; DD, no. 1790, 1824, 1858. In 1483 he released to feoffees lands in Ashley croft; ibid. no. 1821.
41 In deeds of 1498–1500 Thomas is called son and heir-apparent of John Whittingham; ibid.no. 1785, 1796.
42 Lands in Whittingham were in 1477 settled for life on Joan on her marriage with Thomas; ibid. no. 1867, 1789.
43 Roger first married Agnes Brockholes, but they were divorced in 1513; ibid. no. 1868. His next wife was named Isabel; she made complaints against several in 1521 for complicity in the death of her husband; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 131, m. 15 d.; Fishwick, Goosnargh, 186. She afterwards married James Lambert and in 1544 made complaint as to her dower; DD, no. 1801.
44 In 1523–4 he made a feoffment of all his lands; DD, no. 1912. This was probably on account of his son's death.
45 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vi, no. 19. Some of the deeds above quoted are recited. It appears that Agnes Brockholes was daughter of Ellen the widow of Roger Brockholes.
Christopher Standish bought from the king the marriage of Richard Whittingham, next of kin and heir of Thomas Whittingham deceased, and sold it to William Singleton, who in 1531–2 made a grant of certain lands in Ashley; Kuerden fol. MS. 383.
Richard Whittingham in 1550 made a settlement of his manor of Whittingham, &c., and made provision for his (younger) son Richard; DD, no. 1833, 1859. About the same time he complained of various trespasses on the waste of the manor; Ducatus Lanc. i, 247, 261, 273.
46 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. ix, no. 15. In 1553 the king granted the third part of the manor of Whittingham, together with the wardship and marriage of Thomas the heir, to William Waring; Duchy of Lanc. Misc. Bks. xxiii, 81 d.
47 DD, no. 1843. A settlement of the manor of Whittingham and various lands was made by Thomas and Bridget in 1585; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 4.7, m. 42.
48 Visit, of 1567 (Chet. Soc.), 50.
49 Gibson, Lydiate Hall, 215, quoting S. P. Dom. Eliz. cxviii, 49.
50 Paul Whittingham, born at Whittingham, entered the English College at Rome in 1606, aged seventeen. He had made his first studies at Goosnargh, Chipping and Whalley, and then went to Douay. [1605—'a poor Englifhman'; Diaries, 286.] His parents and relatives on both sides were of the upper class of society, and he had two brothers. 'He died most piously in the college, 11 July 1611, having been first admitted to the Society'; Foley, Rec, S. J.vi, 238.
His younger brother William was admitted to the same college in 1607, and became 'dear to all for his remarkable virtues and candour of soul.' He had made his early studies at Pocklington and Whalley and then went to Douay. [1606 —'a poor Englishman'; Diaries, 286.] He entered the Society of Jesus in 1611 and was sent on the London mission in 1620, taking the alias of Rediate. He was killed in the accident at Blackfriars, 26 Oct. 1623; Foley, op. cit. i, 85; vi, 247.
51 Misc. (Cath. Rec. Soc.), iv, 177.
52 Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 232.
53 Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 195.
54 Thomas Whittingham and Margaret his wife in 1633–4. made a settlement of the manor, with lands, dovecote, &c., in Whittingham and Ashley; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 122, no. 42.
55 Thomas Whittingham must have been certainly known as a Protestant before 1643, for he was made captain of a troop of horse for the Parliament, which troop he actually raised when Prince Rupert came into the county; War in Lancs. (Chet. Soc), 43.
56 Visit. (Chet. Soc), 63. He paid £10 in 1631, having refused knighthood; Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), i, 221.
57 Dugdale, Visit. (Chet. Soc), 333. The ages of Thomas Whittingham and his son are given wrongly. The descent is thus shown: Thomas -s. Godfrey -s. Thomas. Some further genealogical particulars can be obtained from the Preston Guild R. (Rec. Soc), and there is a pedigree in Fishwick's Goosnargh, 185–8, from which the later details in the text have been derived.
58 The descent is thus given in the work quoted: Thomas, died 1710 -halfbro. Richard, d. 1717 -s. Henry, d. 1753 -s. Richard, d. 1777 -s. Richard, the vendor. Richard, who died in 1717, gave his lands to trustees to the use of his son Henry, 'provided that the said Henry conformed himself to the Protestant religion according to the Church of England'—which Henry refused to do— in default they were 'only to allow a competent maintenance for him and his wife and children'; Fishwick, op. cit. 188. Henry Whittingham was a Jacobite; Gillow, Haydock Papers, 45. There is a note of his marriage in Piccope MSS. (Chet. Lib.), iii, 272, from roll 18 of Geo. II at Preston.
59 Shireburne Abstract above cited, which also shows that the manor of Chingle Hall, with lands in Whittingham, Haighton, Preston and Newsham, was in 1431 held by Thomas and Robert Singleton and Richard Clitheroe. A division was arranged. (The Singletons concerned appear to be those of Broughton and Withgill.)
60 William Singleton and his feoffees in 1484–5 made a grant of all his lands to his son John; Kuerden fol. MS. 382. This grant was no doubt in trust, for in 1501 a division was arranged by which Richard Singleton (son of Robert son of William) should have lands, &c., in Broughton, Warton and Preston, and John Singleton should have the manor of Chingle Hall and messuages and lands in Whittingham, Haighton, Goosnargh and several other townships; ibid. 383; Final Conc, iii, 150.
61 John Singleton and William his son and heir-apparent occur in receipts and bonds in 1525, 1527 and 1528–9; Kuerden fol. MS. 383; Add. MS. 32106, no. 796. In 1530–1 Elizabeth widow of John Singleton and her trustees agreed with William as to her dower; Kuerden fol. MS. 381.
62 William Singleton married Anne Heaton some time before 1534, when the 110 marks he received with her was fully discharged; ibid. 382.
63 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. viii, no. 9.
64 Ibid, vii, no. 15; his brothers Richard and Henry are named, also his wife Alice and daughters Anne, Elizabeth, Katherine and Jane.
There was a divorce between Alice Duckett and John Singleton pronounced in the ecclesiastical court at Ribchester in 1532; yet she seems to be the Alice named in the inquisition, and claimed dower in 1569 (being then wife of Lancelot Marten) as widow of John Singleton the elder; Court of Wards and Liveries, box 86, no. 1, 2.
65 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vii, no. 22. The wardship and marriage of John Singleton were in 1545 granted by the king to Sir John Perient; Duchy of Lane. Misc. Bks. xxii, 219 d. Anthony Laton, apparently the actual guardian of John Singleton, was of Chingle Hall in 1549; Kuerden fol. MS. 247. John was probably posthumous.
66 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xiii, no. 16; an agreement of 1571 is recorded, by which William the son and heir was to marry Mary daughter of George Astley. John Singleton married Isabel, afterwards wife of Richard Livesey; she was living at Chingle Hall in 1585; ibid, xiv, no. 67.
67 Ibid, xiv, no. 74, dated 1582; her age was then given as fifteen.
68 Ibid. 67. Her father's sisters abovenamed were married as follows: Anne to William Wall of Preston -s. Anthony; Elizabeth to Richard Preston -s. Thomas; Katherine to James Bolton -s. Nicholas and da. Katherine wife of Thomas Eccleston; Jane to Christopher Harris. See the pedigree in Fishwick, op. cit. 192.
69 Many references will be found in the Ducatus Lanc, (ii, 237, &c.), and abstracts of some of the pleadings are given in Fishwick, op. cit. 191. Christopher Harris and Joan his wife in 1568 claimed a moiety of certain lands bequeathed by Alice Singleton, mother of Joan, but her brother John, to whom Joan had transferred in 1564, refused to pay; Duchy of Lane. Plead. Eliz. lxxii, H 20.
Nicholas Bolton in 1586, on behalf of himself and the co-heirs, complained that one Roger Burton and Elizabeth his wife had wrongfully obtained possession of part of the estate; ibid, cxliv, B 8.
William Farington of Worden in 1596 complained that Nicholas Bolton, who as heir of Chingle Hall had sold him certain land, was trying to evade the performance of his bargain by hiding himself and changing his name; ibid, clxxiii, F 3.
William Farington in 1611 held lands in Whittingham of the Earl of Derby; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), i, 182–4.
The following refer to the estate: Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 49, m. 267; 50, m. 194; 51, m. 57; 52, m. 199; 59, m. 97, 181.
70 Anthony Wall of Preston died in 1601 holding lands in Whittingham, of which the tenure is not recorded; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xviii, no. 6. His son William died in 1626 holding of the king by the hundredth part of a knight's fee; ibid, xxvi, 50; Towneley MS. C 8, 13 (Chet. Lib.), 1301. A pedigree of Wall 'of Chingle Hall' was recorded in 1664; Dugdale, Visit. (Chet. Soc), 323. See further in the account of Preston.
Thomas Eccleston of Great Eccleston, another of the heirs, in 1592 held lands in Whittingham, but the tenure was not recorded; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvi, no. 38.
71 Fishwick, op. cit. 192.
72 End. Char. Rep. for Kirkham, 123; the hall and 41 acres of land.
73 This was the tenure of Robert Singleton of Brockholes in 1525, and of his successor William; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vi, no. 64; x, no. 1. William Singleton of Bank Hall, however, was in 1573 said to hold of the queen by knight's service, or else of the Earl of Derby by a rent of gauntlets, payable at Preston fair; ibid, xii, no. 30, 34; xvi, no. 50. Compare the grant by Joan Banastre in note 12 above.
74 John de Whittingham gave a moiety of Lower Ashley to Robert son of William de Ashley, and William son of John made a grant to the same Robert; Towneley MS. DD, no. 1894, 1887.
John de Whittingham granted half the field called Over Ashley to Richard de Ashley; Add. MS. 32107, no. 1081. This may have been the Richard son of Gilbert de Ashley who released lands to William his brother; DD, no. 1891. John son of Gilbert de Ashley also had land in Ashley from John de Whittingham (DD, no. 1897), but in 1316 released his right in them to Robert son of Richard de Ashley and Avice his wife; Dods. MSS. liii, fol. 24. Among the witnesses were two named Robert de Ashley. The gift was confirmed or augmented by William de Whittingham; Add. MS. 32106, no. 326.
Margery daughter of William son of Richard de Ashley of Whittingham claimed land in Elston in 1346; De Banco R. 348, m. 304.
75 William son of John de Whittingham gave 9 acres to Richard son of Amery de Comberhalgh and Alice his wife; DD, no. 1888. Alice daughter of Adam del Eves in 1331 sought two-thirds of a tenement in Whittingham against Henry son of Thomas de Comberhalgh (under age), and the other third against Eva widow of Thomas; De Banco R. 287, m. 582; 290, m. 276 d. The land called the Eves is named in a much earlier charter; DD, no. 1876.
Alice daughter of Roger de Comberhalgh was non-suited in 1360 in a claim against Sir Adam de Hoghton and Gilbert de Hyde; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 8, m. 8.
A portion called 'a moiety of the manor of Comberhalgh' was in 1364 in the possession of Richard de Pleasington (of Dimples) and Sibyl his wife; Dods. MSS. cxlix, fol. 72b. A note on the pedigree states that the lands came from Margaret daughter and co-heir of Randle de Singleton, formerly wife of Thomas de Knoll; ibid, fol. 73; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 2, m. 8. William Pleasington in 1621 held messuages, &c., in Comberhalgh of the king in socage; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc.), ii, 240,
Henry Proden (who had a son John) had land in Greenhurst in Comberhalgh in 1412; Add. MS. 32104, no. 623. In 1583 Richard Crook purchased land in Whittingham, Ashley and Comberhalgh from Edmund Proden and Robert his son; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 45, m. 71. Sir Richard Shireburne made a purchase from John Pruden in Ashley in 1589; ibid. bdle. 51, m. 273.
76 Deeds of this family are in the Court of Wards and Liveries (box 13 A, FD 17, 20, &c.), and there are some in the Anct. D. (P.R.O.), A 8931, &c. They had lands in Ashley and Comberhalgh. The descent cannot be clearly established. We have Richard -s. William -s. John between 1300 and 1350; Thomas in 1372 granting lands to Aline del Chambre (Add. MS. 32106, no. 323); John the elder and Alice his wife in 1409; John (son of Thomas) in 1423; Robert in 1525, and Nicholas in 1574.
Edmund Wawne (son of Nicholas and Ellen) died in or before 1592 holding two messuages in Ashley of Thomas Whittingham by knight's service and 6s. rent. His heir was a brother Thomas, thirteen years of age; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xv, no. 13.
77 Adam de Fishwick obtained land in 1383, perhaps part of his inheritance; Final Conc, iii, 17. William Fishwick in 1414 gave land in Over Ashley to John Moton, tailor; Add. MS. 32107, no. 1125.
James (son of John) Fishwick, who died in 1585, held lands in Comberhalgh, viz. in Savock Hey, of the queen as of the late priory of St. John of Jerusalem by 3d. rent; he also held messuages, &c., in Whittingham of the queen as of her duchy by the thousandth part of a knight's fee; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xiv, no. 52. His heir was a son John, ten years of age.
Col. Fishwick supplies the following notes: In 1358 Richard son of Thomas de Greenhall granted to Adam ton of Richard de Fishwick all his lands in Comberhalgh and Whittingham, and in 1408 Roger Waring granted his lands there to William son of Adam de Fishwick. In 1432 John son of William de Fishwick and Ellen his wife, daughter of R. Holcroft, made a feoffment of lands in the place (Shireburne D). In 1607 and in 1618 John Fishwick and Jane his wife occur (Plea R.).
78 Roger Taylor died in 1586 holding messuages, &c., in Comberhalgh of Thomas Whittingham by the hundredth part of a knight's fee and 7½d. rent. Robert his son and heir was three years old; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xiv, no. 43. A later inquisition corrects this by stating that the land was held of Richard Shireburne; ibid, xvii, no. 19.
79 William Walton died in 1559 holding lands in Comberhalgh, &c., of Thomas Whittingham by 4s. rent; ibid, xi, no. 27. His son Richard died in 1594 holding the same estate; ibid, xvi, no. 42; xvii, no. 48.
80 Braboner's House was in the southwest corner of Comberhalgh. Some 16th-century deeds of this family are in Add. MS. 32106, no. 388–94. There are references to them in Ducatus Lanc. iii, 15, &c., from which it appears they held of the Fishwicks; one of them was rector of Ashton-under-Lyne; ibid. 107.
80 a Information of Col. Fishwick.
81 John de Bradkirk held land in 1330; De Banco R. 284, m. 304. Adam de Bradkirk died in 1349 holding two messuages and 40 acres of Sir Adam de Hoghton by knight's service and 8d. rent; Inq. p.m. 28 Edw. III (2nd nos.), no. 1 b.
This is possibly the estate held by a family named Parker from early in the 17th century. Its founder was Henry son of William Parker of Bradkirk. Whittingham House descended to Martha Parker, who died in 1856, leaving issue by her husband James German of Preston. There is a pedigree in Fiihwick, op. cit. 189.
82 Adam de Elswick died in 1325 holding lands, &c., of Adam Banastre, a minor, by a rent of 1¾d. and paying 5¼d. in a scutage of 40s. There were a messuage, 19 acres of arable land and an acre of meadow, in all worth 14s. 4d. William the son and heir was thirty years old; Inq. p.m. 19 Edw. II, no. 58.
Alexander son of Adam de Elswick and William his son were defendants to a claim made by Richard Drury in 1332; Assize R. 1411, m. 12. John de Els wick received lands from his feoffees in 1399; Kuerden fol. MS. 153, 114. Thomas Elswick of Whittingham and Edmund his son and heir made in 1469 a grant of messuages and lands, including one tenanted by Richard Dukedale; ibid. 115. Edmund Elswick of Witton made a feoffment of his lands in Whittingham and Goosnargh in 1506–7; ibid. John son and heir of Edmund Elswick occurs in 1531; Add. MS. 32107, no. 1048. John Curtes, who had married Margaret daughter and heir of John Elswick, claimed various lands in Goosnargh and Whittingham in 1553–4; Ducatus Lanc, ii, 130. Their deeds are included among those of Southworth by Kuerden, and Sir John Southworth in 1595 had land in the township, but the tenure is not recorded; see also Ducatus Lanc, iii, 314.
83 Adam son of Sir Adam de Hoghton about 1290 released to Alexander son of Randle de Goosnargh all right in an oxgang of land in Whittingham; Dods, MSS. lxx, fol. 154. This Alexander and Alice the widow of Randle appear in pleadings in 1292, the latter claiming land against Robert de Singleton, who showed that he had entry through William de Singleton and not through her husband; Assize R. 408, m. 46, 18 d.
It appears that Randle de Goosnargh had two other sons, Henry and Hugh, Hugh's sons Richard and Thomas gave lands in Whittingham to William de Whittingham, which gift was confirmed in 1324–5; Towneley MS. DD, no, 1890. In 1330 Alexander son of Henry claimed messuages and lands against his cousins the said Richard and Thomas; De Banco R. 282, m. 179 d.
84 In 1331 William son of John brother of Henry de Tunstall claimed a messuage, mill, &c., in Whittingham against John son of Robert son of Adam de Preston, but the defendant showed a release from William himself; Assize R. 1404, m. 19.
Henry Preston of Preston died in 1549 holding land of Richard Whittingham by 12d. rent; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. ix, no. 19; x, no. 10. Margaret widow of Henry Wilkinson was occupier of Preston House in 1563–6; Ducatus Lanc, ii, 273, 333. George Preston in 1602 held of the king by the twohundredth part of a knight's fee; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc), i, 103–4. The same estate was in 1608 held by Leonard Chorley, who was succeeded by a son William; ibid, ii, 9.
To these may be added Thomas Bretherton, who died in 1443 holding among other lands a messuage and 30 acres in Whittingham of Sir Richard Hoghton by 10s. net, and 6 acres of Thomas Singleton the elder by 2s. rent; Towneley MS. DD, no. 1490. John Catterall of Eaves Green and Selby, attainted of high treason in 1461, had lands, &c., in Whittingham which were bestowed on Sir John Pilkington; Chan. Inq. p.m. 11 Edw. IV, no. 33; 19 Edw. IV, no. 77.
85 Henry Waring of Whittingham was a debtor in 1448; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 10, m. 8.
86 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xiii, no. 18. John his son and heir was twenty-five years of age. He died in 1592 holding a capital messuage called the Moor House, &c., and his son George, aged eleven, was heir; Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), ccxxxvi, 31.
A William Waring appears in 1579– 82; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 41, m. 151, 196; 44, m. 139. His son John died in 1594 holding messuages, &c., of the Earl of Derby by the hundredth part of a knight's fee and 4d. rent; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvi, no. 10. The heir, his brother Richard, then seventeen years old, died in 1598 holding the same estate, with the addition of 7 acres approved from the waste and held of the queen by the hundredth part of a knight's fee; ibid. xvii, no. 12. The heir was his son William, three years old.
87 Fishwick, op. cit. 189.
88 Towneley MS. C 8, 13 (Chet. Lib.), 1078. He also held Westsnape in Ashley of Thomas Tyldesley of Withgill (as assignee of Henry Singleton, deceased), and his heirs were his daughters Janet wife of Richard Pope, Elizabeth wife of Nathaniel Woodward, Anne wife of Thomas Cowell and Jane wife of Richard Singleton, their ages lying between thirtyeight and twenty-four years.
89 Duchy of Lanc. Inq, p.m. xxix, no. 77. The heir was a son Richard, aged seven.
90 The following held of the Whittingham family: Evan Browne of Ribbleton, 1545, by 18d. rent; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vii, no. 24. Ralph Clitheroe of Bailey, 1556, by 6d. rent; ibid, x, no. 26. Alexander Rigby, 1621; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc), iii, 457. Thomas Beesley of Goosnargh, 1637; Towneley MS. C 8, 13, p. 72.
These held of the Crown or the duchy: Leonard Houghton (in right of his wife Anne), 1583, by the hundredth part of a knight's fee; the heir was a daughter Bridget, aged six; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xiv, no. 89. Edward Robinson, 1608, by the three-hundredth part of a knight's fee; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc.), 1, 114. John Robinson of Whittle, 1628, by the hundredth part; Towneley MS. C 8, 13, p. 1013. Stopford of Ulnes Walton, by the two-hundredth part; Lancs. Inq. p.m. i, 169; ii, 73. Thomas Holden, 1617, by knight's service; ibid, ii, 57–8. Robert Hesketh of Rufford, 1620, lands in Nether Whittingham in socage; ibid, iii, 356.
John Kighley of White Lea in Goosnargh, 1616, held of Sir Richard Hoghton; ibid, ii, 33. Henry Gregson, 1621, held of the same; he left a son and heir Robert; Towneley MS. C 8, 13, p. 465. Adam Rigby, clerk, 1627, held of the same a messuage, with Lockfield, Dodgecroft, and Cowhey wood, by the two-hundredth part of a knight's fee; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxvii, no. 30. William Critchlowe, 1637, held of Richard Shireburne as of the late priory of St. John of Jerusalem; his heir was his son William, aged twelve; C 8, 13, p. 252.
In some cases the tenure was not recorded: Sir William Molyneux, 1548 (part of the Clifton estate); Henry Cottam of Haighton, 1592; Leonard Helme of Goosnargh, 1601.
91 The charters have been cited above.
92 They had in 1292 lands in Whittingham, Heyley (? Alley), and Comberhalgh; Plac. de Quo Warr. (Rec. Com.), 375.
93 Lawrence Houghton of English Lea gave to Philip warden of the Friars Minor of Preston a tenement in Whittingham in 1509–10; Harl. MS. 2112, fol. 152b. It was probably a temporary gift.
94 Richard Waring in 1649 desired to compound, 'being sequestered for delinquency in the beginning of the wars'; Cal. Com. for Comp. iii, 1999. Twothirds of a small house and acre of land, sequestered for the recusancy of Ellen Jackson, the lessee, was the subject of a petition by Thomas Whittingham in 1651; ibid, iv, 2768.
95 Estcourt and Payne, Engl. Cath. Nonjurors, 90, 91, 138–9. The names were Richard Duckworth, William Sturzaker (Moor House), Thomas Daniell, Robert and Richard Stanistreet.
96 At Richard Dicconson's house; Hist. MSS. Com. Rep. xiv, App. iv, 232.
97 Fishwick, op. cit. 197.
98 Misc. (Cath. Rec. Soc), v, 184–6.
99 Fishwick, op. cit. 196. 'Over one of the doors was the following inscription: 1611 I.H.S/+ There was also a wooden cross, which was removed to Hill chapel' in Goosnargh.


<--Previous:
Townships:
Goosnargh
Next:-->
Lytham