The city of Stoke-on-Trent
Jewish congregations

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

J. G. Jenkins (editor)

Year published

1963

Supporting documents

Page

307

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'The city of Stoke-on-Trent: Jewish congregations', A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 8 (1963), pp. 307. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53384 Date accessed: 02 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

JEWISH CONGREGATIONS

The practice of the Jewish religion in the Potteries seems to have been concentrated in Hanley. A congregation was formed there in 1873 (fn. 1) and by 1876 there was a small synagogue (fn. 2) identified in 1880 as being in Hanover Street. (fn. 3) This continued in use until at least 1916. (fn. 4) By 1924 the Synagogue was in Birch Terrace, (fn. 5) and this was still in use in 1958. (fn. 6) A second synagogue in Glass Street was registered in 1897, the congregation declaring themselves to be Orthodox Hebrew. (fn. 7) Nothing further is known directly of this group although Huntbach writing shortly before 1910 stated that the Jews 'had not always been able to agree to worship in one synagogue and at present have two weak causes'. (fn. 8) The burial ground in Stoke, on the Stone road close to the boundary with Newcastle, was in existence by the end of the 19th century. (fn. 9)

Footnotes

1 The Jewish Yr. Bk. (1957), p. 160.
2 P.O. Dir. Staffs. (1876).
3 Kelly's Dir. Staffs. (1880).
4 Ibid. (1880 and later edns. to 1916).
5 Ibid. (1924).
6 Ex inf. the Rabbi, Birch St. Synagogue (1958).
7 Worship Reg. no. 35899.
8 A. Huntbach, Hanley, 71.
9 O.S. Map 6" Staffs. xvii NE. (1900).