THE next parish eastward from Boxley is Detling,
written in antient records, Detlinges.
The VILLAGE of Detling is situated at the foot of
the chalk hills, the turnpike road from Maidstone,
over the hill here, to Key-street and Sittingborne,
leading through it; the manor of East and West
court are situated in it, the church stands near the
west side of it. This street seems antiently to have
been called Polley-street, from the family of that name,
which had its original here, where they resided, and
were antiently written Polley, alias Polhill, the direct
descendant of them, being Charles Polhill, esq. of
Chipsted, and there are yet lands in this parish called
Polley fields. The soil of this parish, upon and below
the hill, consists in general of chalk, and is very poor
and unfertile; in the south west part of it there is much
coppice wood; above the hill it is equally poor, con
sisting of a cold red unfertile earth, intermixed with
quantities of flints. In the whole it is an unfrequented
parish, and would be more so, and but little known,
was it not for the turnpike road through it. The air
is very healthy, but the chalky stony soil makes it exceedingly unpleasant either to dwell in or to pass
THIS PLACE is said to have been part of the antient
possessions of the archbishopric of Canterbury, and to
have continued so till the time of the conquest, when
Odo, bishop of Baieux and earl of Kent, the king's
half brother, by his great power, wrested it from the
church; but archbishop Lanfranc, soon after his coming to the see, recovered this manor, among others, in
that noted assembly of the whole county, at Pinendenheath, in 1076, being the 11th of the Conqueror's reign.
It appears, by the inquisition taken throughout
England, in the 12th and 13th years of king John,
and delivered in by the several sheriffs to the king's
treasurer, that Detling was then in the possession of a
family who took their surname from it; and that William de Detling then held it of the archbishop of Canterbury by knight's service, as half a knight's fee. In
memory of this family, Philipott says, there was once,
for there is not now even a report of its having been
there, a massy lance, wreathed all over with a thin iron
plate, preserved in this church, like that of William the
Conqueror at Battle, in Sussex, of the Peches at Lullingstone, in this county, the Carewes at Beddington,
in Surry, and several others, as the very spear by them
used, and deposited here as a memorial of their atchievments in arms, and an emblem of their extraordinary
strength and abilities; and there is now in it the bust
of a man on a piece of antient grave stone, which is reported to have belonged to the monument of Sir John
The family of Detling afterwards assumed the surname likewise of Brampton, being written in old deeds,
Brampton, alias Detling, of Detling court, where they
resided till the beginning of king Henry IV.'s reign,
when John Brampton, alias Detling, leaving an only
daughter and heir, Benedicta, she carried this manor in
marriage to Thomas-at-Towne, of Towne's-place, in
Throwley, who died likewise without male issue, leaving three daughters his coheirs. On the partition of
whose inheritance, about the 24th year of Henry VI.
this manor was allotted to Eleanor, the eldest, wife of
Rich. Lewknor, who in her right enjoyed it. He alienated it not long after to Sir Richard de Wydevill, or
Woodvill, as he was commonly called, who was created
by Henry VI. in his 26th year, lord Rivers, &c. and
afterwards knight of the Garter, (fn. 1) and earl Rivers; four
years after which, whilst at his seat at Grafton, near
Northampton, he was seized by a tumultuous crowd of
people, who had assembled themselves in favour of king
Henry, and was put to death by them. His eldest son,
Anthony lord Scales, after the death of Edward IV.
was seized on by the dukes of Gloucester and Buckingham as he was attending the young king towards
London, and being hurried away to Pontefract, was
there beheaded; leaving no legitimate issue, Richard
his brother succeeded him in honours and estates,
which king Richard however did not suffer him to
enjoy, but made a grant of this manor, among the
rest of this earl's lands in this county, in his 1st year,
to Robert Brakenbury, esq. on whom he at the same
time conferred the office of constable of the Tower,
and other favours, for his good services to him. His
pedigree, drawn from antient evidences in his custody,
in 1594, is among the Harleian manuscripts. This
family bore for their arms, Argent, three bends and a
chief sable, on the chief a lion passant guardant or. On
the accession of king Henry VII. he was attainted of
high treason, and his estates became confiscated to the
crown; soon after which this manor, which had been
before alienated to Richard Lewknor, esq. who before had some estate here, was confirmed by the king
to him, and his only daughter and heir carried it in marriage to George Hilles, on whose death, without male
issue, his two daughters became his coheirs; one of
whom married Martin, and the other Vincent; they
divided this manor into separate moieties, each of
which, from that time, became a distinct manor; one
of which, called East-court, was allotted to Martin;
and the other called West-court, to Vincent, in right
of their respective wives.
The MANOR of EAST-COURT was alienated in the
beginning of queen Elizabeth's reign to John Webbe,
gent. who resided here; from which name it passed by
sale in the reign of king James I. to Smith; and he,
in the next reign of king Charles I. conveyed it to
Sir Edward Henden, one of the barons of the exchequer, who devised it by his will to his nephew, Sir
John Henden, of Biddenden; and he, in Charles II.'s
reign, passed it away by sale to Sir John Beale, bart.
of Farningham; who died in 1684, leaving two daughters his coheirs; on the partition of whose inheritance,
this manor fell to the share of the youngest, married to William Emmerton, esq. of Chipsted, who
sold it to Francis Foote, esq. of Veryan, in Cornwall,
where his family had possessed lands for some generations. He left by Mary, daughter of Benjamin Hatley, esq. whose arms were, Azure, a sword in bend,
between two mullets or, two sons, Benjamin Hatley and
Francis Hender, and a daughter, since married to
Mr. Pearson, and was succeeded in this manor by
his eldest son, Benjamin Hatley Foote, esq. who married Mary, one of the daughters of Robert Mann, esq.
of Linton, by whom he had two sons, Geo. Talbot
Hatley; and John Foote, now a banker in London,
who married the daughter of Mr. Joseph Martin, of
London, banker, deceased. He bore for his arms,
Vert, a chevron argent, between three doves or; on his
death, in 1791, his son, Geo. Talbot Harley Foote,
became possessed of it, and is the present proprietor
The MANOR of WEST-COURT, in the possession of
Vincent, was alienated to Mr. William Moreton, of
White-horse, in Croydon, who was possessed of it in
the reign of Philip and Mary, in whose family it continued at the Restoration, (fn. 2) in 1660; after which the
manor and great part of this estate (for there was a
share of it which came to and continued some time
in the name of Price) passed through some intermediate owners till it came into the possession of Tho.
Borrett, esq. of Shoreham, in this county; formerly
one of the prothonotaries of the common pleas, who
died in 1751; and his heirs, about the year 1766,
passed it away by sale to Benjamin Hatley Foote, esq.
owner likewise of East-court, as above mentioned;
so that these two divided manors are now united in
the same owner, his son, Geo. Talbot Hatley Foote,
esq. being the present possessor of them both.
A court baron is regularly held for the manor of
Detling, the jurisdiction of which extends over the
manor of Henkhurst in Staplehurst.
ONE of the family of Polhill gave the sum of 3s. 4d. yearly to
the minister, and the like to the clerk, and the same to the poor,
chargeable on land, vested in William Stacey Coast, esq. now of
the annual product of 10s.
DETLING is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury and deanry of
The church, which is dedicated to St. Martin, is a
small building, with a low pointed steeple, and is situated at the south west end of the village. It was antiently esteemed but as a chapel of ease to the church
of Maidstone, which was of the patronage of the see
The rectory of the church of Maidstone, with the
chapels of Loose and Detling annexed, was appropriated by archbishop Courtney, with the king's licence,
in the 19th year of king Richard II. to his new founded college of All Saints, in Maidstone; but the patronage of the advowson of them, the archbishop reserved to himself and his successors; in which state
they remained till archbishop Cranmer, in the 29th
year of king Henry VIII. exchanged the advowson
and patronage of the church of Maidstone, and chapels annexed, with the king, among other premises.
Upon the dissolution of the above college, in the 1st
year of king Edward VI. the rectory, as well as the
advowson of the said church and chapels, becoming
vested in the crown, the church of Maidstone was
left, through the king's favour, to the inhabitants of
that town and parish; and that, as well as the chapels
of Detling and Loose, were served by curates nominated by the king, whose stipends were paid by the
king's lessee of the great tithes or rectories of these
parishes; at which time the barn, tenths, and glebe
of the parish of Detling, were valued at 7l. 6s. 8d.
per annum; and the stipend paid to the curate of this
church, by the archbishop's lessee of the tithes, was
2l. 13s. 4d.
Queen Elizabeth, in her 6th year, granted the reversion of the rectory of the several parishes of Maidstone, Detling, and Loose, then in lease to Christopher Roper, esq. to Matthew archbishop of Canterbury, in exchange; since which it has continued part
of the possessions of the see of Canterbury to the present time.
The reader will observe, that the church of Detling
was in the beginning of Elizabeth's reign esteemed
as a curacy only; when it was first accounted a vicarage, as it is at this time, I do not find; but it was
before the year 1643, when the sequestrators of arch
bishop Laud's revenue craved the allowance of 2l.
13s. 4d. being the yearly pension paid by the archbishop to the vicar of Detling.
Archbishop Juxon, in obedience to the king's directions, made an addition of 7l. 6s. 8d. to the vicar's former salary; since which, by the will of archbishop Tenison, in 1715, it has been augmented with
the sum of 200l. and by queen Anne's bounty again,
which produces the yearly sum of sixteen pounds.
This church is exempted from the jurisdiction of
the archdeacon of Canterbury. The vicarage is a
discharged living in the king's books, of the clear
yearly certified value of 30l.
CHURCH OF DETLING.
Or by whom presented.
Archbishops of Canterbury
William Sutton, in 1643. (fn. 3)
Charles German, obt. Aug. 1704.
John Martin, resig. 1718. (fn. 4)
Francis Muriell, A.M. 1718, ob. July 1750. (fn. 5)
Christopher Thomas, 1750.
Thomas Baker, inst. February 20, 1764, obt. Feb. 1779. (fn. 6)
William Polhill, pres. Ap. 1779, resigned. (fn. 7)
Denny Martin Fairfax, D.D. Present vicar.