EASTWARD from Leyborne lies East Malling,
called in the Textus Roffensis, MEALLINGES, and in
THIS PARISH is delightfully situated; it is both
pleasant and healthy; the soil is for the most part
sand, covering the quarry rock; to the southward it
inclines more to a loam and red brick earth; but most
of it is very fertile, as well for corn as for plantations
of fruit and hops, which latter thrive here remarkably
well. The high road from London through Wrotham
to Maidstone, crosses this parish at the thirtieth mile
stone: the hamlet of Larkfield-street, which gives name
to this hundred, is situated on it, where there is a fair
held on St. James's day. Hence this parish extends
northward for more than a mile, to the river Medway, the bank of which is here beautifully shaded with
young oaks. Here is a hamlet called New Hythe,
situated close to the river, so called from the shipping
and relading of goods at it. The civil liberty of the
corporation of Maidstone claims over this place.—
There once belonged a chapel to this district, called
New Hythe chapel, which was suppressed in king
Edward VI.th's time, when it was valued at eleven
shillings clear yearly value; the first founder of it was
not known. Daily mass was said in it. Hugh Cartwright, gent. of East Malling, had soon afterwards a
grant of it.
Adjoining to the southern side of the high road and
hamlet of Larkfield, is the small, but beautifully
situated, park of Bradborne, the plantations of which,
as well as the stream which flows through it, are so
judiciously and ornamentally disposed round the mansion, as to render it, for its size (its smallness being
by art wholly concealed from the sight) the most elegant residence of any in these parts. Close to the
southern pale of the park, is the village of East Malling, at the north end of which is a handsome house,
the property of Sir John Twisden, the church, and
parsonage. Hence there is a street called Mill-street,
from a corn mill there, which is turned by the before
mentioned stream. Through the village, which has
in it some tolerable good houses, one of which was
lately the property of James Tomlyn, esq. the ground
rises up to East Malling heath, on the entrance of
which, near the direction post, there appears to be a
Roman tumulus. On this heath are several kilns for
making bricks and tile; it lies on high ground, and
is a pleasant spot, though surrounded on the east and
west sides by large tracts of coppice woods. The park
of Teston bounds up to the south east corner of it,
and the road from thence to Town Malling and Ofham leads along the southern part of it, through the
AT THE TIME of taking the general survey of
Domesday in the year 1080, being the fifteenth of
the Conqueror's reign, this place was part of the possessions of the archbishop of Canterbury, under the
title of whose lands it is thus entered in that record.
In the lath of Elesfort, in Laurochesfel hundred, the
archbishop (of Canterbury) himself holds Metlinges in
demesne. It was taxed at two sulings. The arable land
is seven carucates. In demesne there are three carucates
and thirty-eight villiens, with twelve borderers having
five carucates. There is a church and five servants, and
two mills of ten shillings, and twenty-one acres of meadow.
Wood for the pannage of sixty hogs. In the whole value,
in the time of king Edward the Confessor it was worth
nine pounds, the like when he received it, and now as
much, and yet it pays fifteen pounds.
The manor of East Malling was given not many
years afterwards by Anselm, archbishop of Canterbury, by the name of Parvas Meallingas, to the nunnery of the adjoining parish of West Malling, founded
by Gundulph, bishop of Rochester, his cotemporary.
In the 7th year of king Edward I. the abbess of Malling claimed several liberties within this manor; and
in the twenty-first year of that reign, she claimed to
have in it view of frank pledge, assize of bread and
ale, and gallows, which she found her church possessed of at the time of her coming to it; and it was
allowed her by the jury.
In the time of king Richard II. the temporalities
of the abbess of Malling in this parish and Town
Malling were valued at forty-five pounds.
This monastery being dissolved in the 30th year of
Henry VIII. anno 1538, this manor was, with the rest
of its possessions, surrendered into the kings hands.
After which the king, in his 31st year, granted in exchange, among other premises, to Thomas Cranmer,
archbishop of Canterbury, this manor and parsonage,
late belonging to the before-mentioned abbey, excepting all advowsons, presentations, &c. to hold by
knight's service; and as the king was entitled to the
tenths of them, he discharged the archbishop of them,
and all other outgoings whatsoever, except the rent
therein mentioned. Which grant was in consequence
of an indenture made before, between the king and
the archbishop, inrolled in the Augmentation-office.
The manor of East Malling, and the premises
before-mentioned, were again exchanged with the
crown in the beginning of the reign of queen Elizabeth, in the 12th year of which the queen granted
this manor in lease to Sir Henry Brook alias Cobham,
knt. fifth son of George, lord Cobham; after which
it was in like manner possessed by Pierpoint, who lies
buried in Town Malling church, and afterwards by
Hugh Cartwright, esq. who bore for his arms, Argent,
on a fess engrailed, sable, three cinquefoils of the first.
On whose decease his widow, Mrs. Jane Cartwright,
one of the seventeen daughters of Sir John Newton,
became entitled to it, and carried her interest in it
to her second husband, Sir James Fitzjames, and he
passed it away to Humphrey Delind, who soon afterwards alienated it to Sir Robert Brett, descended of
the ancient family of the Bretts, in Somersetshire,
who bore for his arms, Or, a lion rampant, guies, within
an orle of cross-croslets fitchee of the second. He died in
1620, and was buried in Town Malling church, having had by Frances his wife, the only daughter of Sir
Thomas Fane, by Mary, baroness Le Despencer his
wife, who died in 1617, an only son Henry, who died
in 1609, and both lie interred with him in that church.
The next year after the death of Sir Robert Brett, king
James granted this manor in fee to John Rayney, esq.
which grant was farther confirmed to Sir John Rayney, his eldest son, in the second year of king Charles I.
Sir John Rayney was of Wrotham place, and was
created a baronet of Nova Scotia in 1641; and his
son of the same name, about the year 1657, passed it
away by sale to Thomas Twisden, serjeant at law,
afterwards knighted, and made one of the judges of
the King's Bench, and created a baronet.
He afterwards seated himself at Bradbourn, in this
parish, and in his descendants, baronets, seated there
likewise, it has continued down to Sir John Papillon
Twisden, bart. of Bradbourn, who is the present
owner of it.
There is a court leet and court baron held for this
BRADBOURN is a seat in this parish, which has long
been the residence of a gentleman's family. It was
formerly accounted a manor, and in the reign of
king Henry VIII. was in the possession of the family
of Isley, of Sundridge, in this county, in which it
continued till Sir Henry Isley, in the 31st year of that
reign, exchanged it with the king for other premises;
which exchange was confirmed by letters patent under
the great seal the next year.
In the reign of queen Elizabeth, it was in the possession of the family of Manningham, descended out of
Bedfordshire, who bore for their arms, Sable, a fess
ermine, in chief three griffins heads erased or, langued
gules. The last of this name here was Richard Manningham, esq. who about the year 1656 alienated
Bradbourn to Thomas Twisden, esq. serjeant at law,
who was the second son of Sir William Twisden, bart.
of Roydon-hall in East Peckham, and of the Lady
Anne Finch, his wife, daughter of the first countess
of Winchelsea, and continued to bear the antient
coat of arms of his family, being Gironny of four argent and gules, a saltier and four cross croslets, all counterchanged, with due difference; and for his crest, On
a wreath, a cockatrice azure, with wings displayed or.
On the year of king Charles's restoration, he was
knighted by him, and made one of the judges of the
king's bench, and on June 13, anno 19 Charles II.
1666, was created a baronet. He discharged his office
of judge during the space of eighteen years, when he
obtained his quietus, on account of his great age and
infirmities. He altered the spelling of his name from
Twysden, as it was spelt by his ancestors, and is still
by the Twysdens of East Peckham, baronets, to
Twisden, to distinguish the two branches of the family, and this alteration has been followed by his descendants, to the present time. He resided at this
seat, the grounds of which he imparked in the year
1666, and dying in 1683, aged 81, was buried in East
Malling church. He married Jane, daughter of John
Tomlinson, esq. of Whitby, in Yorkshire, who surviving him, died in 1702, by whom he had several
sons and daughters. Of the former, Sir Roger Twisden, knight and baronet, the eldest son, succeeded
him in title and estate, and resided at Bradbourn.
He married Margaret, daughter of Sir John Marsham,
knight and baronet, of Whornes-place, and died in
1703, leaving three sons and two daughters. He
was succeeded in title and this estate by his eldest son,
Sir Thomas Twisden, bart. who was likewise of Bradbourn, and served in parliament for this county in the
second parliament of king George I. He married
Anne, the daughter and heir of John Musters, esq.
of Nottinghamshire, by whom he had four sons; Sir
Thomas, his successor; Sir Roger, successor to his
brother; and William, and John deceased. He died
in 1728, and was succeeded by his eldest son, Sir
Thomas Twisden, before-mentioned, who going
abroad died at Grenada, in Spain, in 1737, unmarried, and was succeeded in dignity and this estate by
his brother, Sir Roger Twisden, bart. who resided at
Bradbourn, which he so highly improved, that there
are few seats of private gentlemen, that exceed it,
either in convenience, beauty, or pleasantness.
He served in parliament for this county in the 5th
and 6th parliament of king George II. and having resided here with the worthiest of characters, he died in
1772, and was buried with his ancestors in East Malling church. By Elizabeth, his wife, daughter and
heir of Edmund Watton, esq. of Addington, and
widow of Leonard Bartholomew, esq. who survived
him, and died in 1775, he left three sons, Roger;
William, who resided at Hythe, and married Miss
Kirkman, and died s. p. and John Papillon. He was
succeeded by his eldest son, Sir Roger Twisden, bart.
of Bradbourn, who died in 1779, leaving his wife Rebecca, daughter of Isaac Wildash, esq. of Chatham,
big with child, which proved to be a daughter, on
which his only surviving brother Sir John Papillon
Twisden, bart. succeeded him both in title and his
estates in this parish, of which he is the present possessor. He resides at Bradbourn, and in 1782 married a daughter of admiral Sir Francis Geary, of
Polsden, in Surry, bart. by whom he has a son, born
Mr. RICHARD BURNET gave by will in 1578, four bushels
of wheat, in money 20s. to be distributed yearly to the poor of
this parish for ever, on Good Friday, vested in the churchwardens.
Mrs. MARY TURNER, in 1679, gave by will 20s. to be distributed to twenty poor widows of this parish on Lady-day for
ever, vested in the same.
THE LADY JANE TWISDEN, relict of judge Twisden, gave
by will in 1702, toward putting out poor children, born in this
parish, apprentices, the sum of 100l. now vested in the same,
and of the annual produce of 4l. 4s.
JAMES TOMLYN gave by will in 1752, to teach poor children
to write, and the church catechism, and to read, 5l. yearly for
ever, issuing out of land in this parish, called Crouch, vested in
the churchwardens, and now of that annual produce.
EAST MALLING is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Rochester, and being a
peculiar of the archbishop of Canterbury, is as such
within the deanry of Shoreham.
The church of East Malling is dedicated to St.
James. It is a handsome building, with a square
tower at the west end of it.
Archbishop Anselm, who lived in the time of king
William Rufus, gave the church of East Malling to the
nunnery of the adjoining parish of West Malling, and
granted, that the abbess and nuns there should hold it
appropriated to them. (fn. 1)
Simon, archbishop of Canterbury, in 1363, on the
complaint of Sir John Lorkyn, perpetual vicar of this
church, that the portion of his vicarage, the church of
which was held appropriated by the abbess and convent
of Malling, was insufficient for his decent support and
for the payment of episcopal dues, and the support of
other burthens incumbent on him; and the abbess and
convent being desirous of providing a proper support
for the vicar and his successors, as far as was necessary,
and agreeing, under their common seal, to assign to
him and them the portions under-mentioned, which
the archbishop approved of as sufficient, and the vicar
likewise agreed to—decreed, and ordained, that the
vicar and his successors, should have the mansion belonging to the vicarage, with the garden of it, and six
acres and three roods of arable land, and two acres of
meadow, which they used to have in past times, free
and discharged from the payment of tithes, together
with the herbage of the cemetery of the church, and
the trees growing on it, and the tithes of silva cedua,
lambs, wool, pigs, geese, ducks, eggs, chicken, calves,
cheese, and the produce of the dairy, pidgeons, hemp,
and flax, apples, pears, pasture, honey, wax beans
planted in gardens, and of all other seeds whatsoever
sown in them, and also the tithes of sheaves arising
from orchards or gardens, dug with the foot, together
with the tithes as well of the cattle of the religious in
their manors and lands wheresoever situated within the
parish, either bred up, feeding, or lying there, and of
all other matters above-mentioned, being within the
said manors and lands, as of the cattle and matters of
this sort of all others whatsoever, arising within the parish; and further, that the vicar and his successors,
ministering in the church, should take at all future
times all manner of oblations, as well in the parish
church, as in the chapel of St. John, at Newhethe, in
this parish, and all other places within it, then or in
future, and the tithes of business of profit, of butchers,
carpenters, brewers, and other artificers and tradesmen
whatsoever, to this church in any wise belonging, and
likewise the residue of the paschal wax, after the breaking of the same, and legacies then, or which might afterwards be left to the high altar, and the rest of the
altars, or images; and he decreed, that only the tithes
of the two mills in this parish belonging to the religious, and also the great tithes of sheaves, and of hay
wheresoever arising within the parish, should in future
belong to the abbess and convent. And he taxed this
portion of the vicar at ten marcs sterling yearly value;
according to which he decreed, that the vicar should
pay the tenth, whenever the same ought to be paid in
future; and that the vicar for the time being should
undergo the burthen of officiating in this church, either by himself, or some other fit priest, in divine services, and in finding of bread and wine, for the cele
bration of the sacraments, and of the two processional
tapers, as heretofore; and that he should receive and
undergo all other profits and burthens, otherwise than
The vicarage is valued in the king's books at
10l. 8s. 4d. and the yearly tenths at 1l. 0s. 10d.
Sir John Twisden is the present patron of this vicarage.
The vicar of East Malling is always intitled to be
one of the ministers, who preach at the lecture founded
in Town Malling church, that is, one sermon every
fortnight, on a Saturday, being the market-day; and
he receives ten shillings for each sermon he preaches.
CHURCH OF EAST MALLING.
|PATRONS, Or by whom presented.||VICARS,|
|Abbess and convent of Malling||Richard Adams, obt. May 6, 1522. (fn. 2) |
|Throgmorton, 1633. (fn. 3) |
|The King||Robert Whittle, A. M. March 1,1627, obt. July 13, 1679. (fn. 4) |
|Thomas Hill, 1716.|
|Thomas Cockman, 1723. (fn. 5) |
|William Perfect, presented in March 1745, obt. June 2, 1757.|
|Richard Jacob, A. M. 1757. (fn. 6) |
|Daniel Hill, A. M. 1764, the present vicar. (fn. 7) |