TO VOLUME IV.
SUBORDINATE to the paramount manor of Hoo is the
reputed manor of High Halstow, which, with a messuage,
called Duck's court, alias Bewell's, belonged to the family of
Walpole, of Pinchbeck, in Lincolnshire, but Edward Walpole dying s. p. in 1725, Mary, his daughter, carried it in
marriage to Dr. William Smithson, whose son, John Walpole Smithson, dying s. p. likewise in 1731, Catherine his
daughter became his sole heir, and married Thomas Davers,
esq. admiral of the royal navy, who died at Horringerhall, in Suffolk, in 1746, whose son of the same name in
1759, conveyed it to his mother, and she in 1763 sold it
to Susanna Hodgman, widow, of Rochester, who by her will
in 1764 gave it to William Horn, of Rochester, and Elizabeth his wife, her niece, whose four sons and four daughters
in 1783 joined in the sale of it to Samuel Smith, yeoman, of
Hoo, who made a division of his estates in 1796, between
his four sons, by Rose his second wife, and on a partition
of them afterwards, this estate was conveyed by them to
the eldest son, Mr. George Smith, who now resides at
Duck's-court, alias Bewell's, of which he is the present
owner. There is no court held for this manor.
PAGE 19. The Rev. Mr. Burt exchanged this rectory
with Mr. Grimstone, for Twickenham, in Middlesex, in
1788, and did not die till 1791.
PAGE 24. Combe, line 18. The Rev. Richard Hancorn
Duppa, who afterwards quitted the clerical profession, and
took the title of esquire, died in 1789, upon which the possession of it, as well as of his other estates, passed over to
his brother Baldwin Hancorn, who was a lieutenant in the
navy, and afterwards took the name of Duppa, and it became vested in his son Baldwin Duppa Hancorn, who was at
the time of his uncle's death a lieutenant in the East-India
company's service, and on his return to England took the
surname likewise of Duppa, being the present Baldwin Duppa Duppa, esq. of Hollingborne-hill, at this time the owner
of this estate.
PAGE 25. The present lessee of Combe Portion is not
Richard, but Baldwin Duppa Duppa, esq.
PAGE 27. Rectors. Robert Burt died in 1791, and
George Gascoin, S. T. P. was inducted, who has since taken
the name of Chandler, and is the present rector.
PAGE 31, line 14. For Francis read Frances.
PAGE 34. VICARS. Richard Bathurst resigned this vicarage for West Peckham, and was succeeded by William
Douthwaite, the present vicar.
PAGE 41. Malmaines tithes. George and John Coppinger were lessees, at 13s. 4d. rent, and 5th Charles I. sold
their interest to Thomas Tresse, of Hoo, and of Gray's-Inn,
gent. He was afterwards knighted, and was of Battersea,
he was gentleman pensioner to that king, being the son of
Francis Tresse, gent. of Hoo, whose third sister Ellen married Peter Gunning, vicar of Hoo and Gravesend, father of
Peter, bishop of Ely. She afterwards married Mr. Henshaw.
He left two daughters his coheirs, Ellen married to Arthur
Amherst, M. D. of Tunbridge; and Sarah. Lady Sarah
Tresse survived her husband, and assigned her right in those
tithes to John Lorimer.
PAGE 150. Samuel Horsley, the present bishop of Rochester, was confirmed Dec. 7, 1793.
St. Nicholas, in Rochester.
PAGE 161. William Wrighte, the present vicar of St.
Nicholas is A. M.
PAGE 162. Satis. Joseph Brooke in 1785 sold Satis to
John Longley, esq. the present possessor of it.
Mrs. Gordon's house is at present unoccupied, and is to be
PAGE 164. The houses in this parish are about 377, and
there are about the same number of houses in St. Nicholas.
PAGE 168. The present lessee of Nashenden manor is
Benjamin Hubble, by an assignment of the lease from Mark
PAGE 170. Lower Delce has been alienated to Thomas
Raikes, esq. who now owns it.
PAGE 171. Great Delce, with King's farm, is still possessed by the descendants of the family of Waring. Mrs.
Dorothy Waring, and some children of it are now entitled
to this estate.
PAGE 173. Richard Boghurst, sen. is the present lessee
of Little Delce.
PAGE 174. The portion of tithes is now charged in the
PAGE 179. The present lessee of the parsonage is Mrs.
Jemima Bridges, in trust for Mrs. Campbell, Elizabeth
Lill, James Roper Head, esq. and Miss Frances Mary Head.
PAGE 180. There is besides the payment of 5l. 6s. 8d.
a large augmentation of 29l. paid by the lessee of the parsonage.
PAGE 211. Sharsted. The present lessee is Elizabeth,
daughter of John Boghurst, esq. of Stroud; her cousin Mr.
John Boghurst is the occupier.
PAGE 213. Room house is now inhabited by Major Mawbey, barrack master of Chatham.
PAGE 214, line 10 from bottom. For Mr. Lawrence, of
Evans, read Mr. Lawrence Evans.
PAGE 222, line 7, from the bottom, for 1637 read 1737.
The church. The width of the present building is the
same as before, and the only addition to its size is the lengthening the north and south isles, to the end of the former
chancel; it now consists as before of a nave and two side
isles, and the gallery extends quite round the south-west and
PAGE 227. Brompton at present consists of near five hundred houses, the greatest part of which are in Gillingham,
about 360 of them, and the town is continually increasing.
The lines of fortification are at present in a very unfinished
state, and make a very disreputable appearance.
PAGE 229. For John Ufford, read John Stratford.
PAGE 231. Notwithstanding Mr. Lambard is charged
on the roll of fee-farm rents, and pays accordingly for the
manor, scite, and demesne lands of the manor of Gillingham,
yet the manor is held in the name of lord Somers, who inherits likewise the see-farm rents of the manor granted by
the crown to his ancestor the lord-chancellor Somers in 1697,
and he receives besides the fee-farm rents, the reliefs and
alienations due from time to time from it.
PAGE 232. Westcourt manor. Sir Richard Leveson, in
1627, conveyed it to John Duling, gent. who by will in
1638, gave it to his daughter Elizabeth Salmon, and she
conveyed it in 1651 to George Bower, esq. the executors of
whose widow, Anne Bower, passed it away in 1661 to Augustine Cæsar, M. D. of Rochester, who by will in 1677,
gave it to Alice his wife for life, and afterwards to his nephew Augustine (son of his brother Joseph Cæsar) and Alice
his wife, and the survivor of them; they left four daughters
and coheirs, Joane, Margaret, Mary and Alice. Alice,
wife of Augustine Cæsar, surviving him, remarried John Higgons, gent. and they, jointly with her four daughters and
coheirs, of her former husband, in 1698 conveyed it to Thomas Rogers, gent. and anno 10 William III. an act passed
for vesting the absolute see and inheritance of this manor in
him; he held it till 1733, when he sold it to Christopher
Searle, gent of Hackstaple, descended out of Devonshire,
and who in 1721 had married Anna, one of his daughters,
by his wife Sarah, daughter of John Paine, gent. of Darent.
Mr. Searle left three surviving daughters his coheirs, Anna,
now the wife of Mr. John Strover, of Gillingham; JaneArabella, widow of George Weekly, esq. of Town-Malling, and Elizabeth, who though twice married, died S. P.
in 1786, so that the two elder sisters are now become the sole
possessors of this manor. Mr. Strover has issue one son,
John, a captain in the East-India Company's service, and
two daughters, Elizabeth and Sally.
PAGE 239. The Grange was sold in 1796 to John Taylor, gent. of Wrotham.
PAGE 236. The jurisdiction of the port of Hastings is become obsolete, nor have any dues been paid to it time out of
PAGE 301, line 20. For William Stacey, read William
PAGE 322, line 27. The heirs of Christopher Fullagar
sold this chapel and estate to Mr. William Coleman, of
PAGE 359. I am informed Mr. Polhill has not resigned,
but still continues vicar of Detling.
PAGE 361. Salt's-place, since Mrs. Martin's death, continues uninhabited.
The mills in the parish of Loose are for the manufactories
of paper, grinding of corn, and fulling, and there is much
tanning work done in this parish.
PAGE 368, line 28. Linton-place is occupied by James
PAGE 370. Begin the list of vicars of Linton thus:
|Henry Ley, in 1560, obt. Feb. 1620.|
|Edward Master, obt. Oct. 2, 1658.|
|Repent Nichols, ejected by the Bartholomew Act, 1661.|
|Phincas Cosby, A. M. ind. 1676, obt. Dec. 1676.|
|Andrew Reyney, 1676, deprived 1679.|
|William Wing, A. B. inducted Feb. 17, 1679, deprived 1681.|
|James Idon, obt. 1681.|
|Basil Richards, &c.|
PAGE 378, line 11. From the coheirs of Dr. Jones this
estate passed by sale to Israel Lewis, of Hampsted, the present possessor of it.
PAGE 384. Barming heath was, till within this century,
usually known by the name of Longsole heath; a small
part of the north-east part of it is within Aylesford parish.
Line 28. Thomas Whitaker has left Watringbury, and
now resides at Trottesclive.
PAGE 385. Soon after last Christmas, or the beginning of the
spring 1796, there were found in the grubbing up of a hedge
at a small distance westward from the parsonage, seven Roman
urns. They were all placed near each other, and were entire
when found, but were broken by the workmen; they contained a great quantity of bones. The urns were some of a
dark lead colour, and others of a coarse red kind of brick
earth, but both looked as if turned in a lathe. The workmen
said that when entire, they were near two feet high, and indeed from the quantities of ashes they must have been very
large. There was part of a man's skull found near them,
and a little further a great quantity of bones without any urn,
these instantly went to dust as soon as exposed to the air. In
a hop-ground at a little distance, in digging for the quarrystone vast numbers of bones, both of men and horses, were
found regularly laid, some of them upon the bare rock.
However these seem to have had no relation to the former,
to have been of a much later date, and to have been by mere
chance placed near the others. The Roman remains surely
point out that their military way led by this place, and the
bones of the men and horses may be conjectured to have been
of those, either of one side or the other, who fell in the skirmish between the Royalists and Oliverians, in 1648, as mentioned in the above page.
PAGE 389, line 11. Mr. Henry Golding, who purchased
the estate of Barming in king Charles IId.'s reign, left it to
his son Henry, whose son of the same name sold it to Thomas Stringer, esq. and he passed it away to Mr. Spencer, who
conveyed it to captain Nicholas Amhurst.
PAGE 392. The Rev. Mark Noble, rector of Barming,
is fellow of the antiquarian society and author of several
learned works, among others of a genealogical history of the
present royal families of Europe, Memoirs of the Protectorate House of Cromwell, of the royal house of Stuart, of the
illustrious house of Medici, and of two dissertations on the
mint and coins of the episcopal palatine of Durham.
PAGE 395, line 15. Mr. Henry Golding, grandson of
the first Henry, sold this manor to Stringer, as he did to
Spencer, and he again to Captain Nicholas Amhurst.
PAGE 489. Describe the modern state of the parish thus:
The parish is full three miles long from north to south, but
not very narrow. The Addington brook crosses it, but
much nearer the north than the south; about a mile from the
northern bank of it lies the only village in the parish, which
is not very large. The church is within a few rods of the
brook, and adjoining to it is the court-lodge belonging to the
earl of Abergavenny. About half a mile from it is Carew's
court, close to the Maidstone road, a large house, the farm of
which is the largest in the parish; from hence, about a mile
southward, is Fartherwell, to the mansion of which there is
an acre of garden ground walled round. The soil of this
parish is rather fertile, being a sandy loam, producing good
crops of corn as well as hops, of which latter there are near
one hundred acres. The northern part of it is chiefly
PAGE 493, line 12. Carew's-court, by Sir Edward Austen's will, confirmed by lady Austen, his widow, now belongs to her relation Mr. Allen.
PAGE 496. Addington brook does not bound this parish
on the south, as there are many acres of land southward of
it, some of which run up near to Town Malling. The soil
in general is light, with a mixture of loam; to the northward towards Birling it is a black mould and richer, a moist
land. Eastward of the castle and church it extends but a little
way, the parish of East-Malling runs up here close to Leyborne glebe. The straggling houses, including cottages, are
PAGE 508. This parish is about three miles long from north
to south, and not quite a mile in breadth. The northern part
is a deep wet soil, consisting chiefly of pasture, common to
three parishes, principally in East-Malling next to this, the
land is sandy, the southern is near the rock, and near and on
the heath partly gravel, and partly loam, fit for the making of
bricks, for which there are two kilns on it. The chapel at
New Hyth is now a cottage, belonging to Sir John P. Twisden, bart.
West, or Town Malling.
PAGE 518. The parish is bounded on the south by a detached piece of woodland, part of Aylesford parish; by other
woods to Mereworth, and by Canon-heath to Watringbury.
The town contains about one hundred and forty houses.
PAGE 521, line 5. The house and estate, late belonging
to admiral Forbes, was after his death purchased by Thomas
Augustus Douce, esq. but it is at present inhabited by Mrs.
Wynch, widow of the late governor.
Line 20. Mr. Clement Taylor now resides at New
PAGE 532. There are two acres of glebe land, exclusive
of the church-yard belonging to the vicarage, and there is an
annual rent paid to the vicar of 40s. charged on an estate
purchased a few years ago of admiral Forbes, by the late Mr.
Thomas Palmer, of St. Leonard's-street, in this town.
PAGE 546, line 24. For and his read the.
PAGE 547, line 5. For Goats read Goats Heads.