Parishes
East Chiltington

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

L. F. Salzman (editor)

Year published

1940

Pages

98-102

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Parishes: East Chiltington', A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 7: The rape of Lewes (1940), pp. 98-102. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=56928 Date accessed: 19 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

EAST CHILTINGTON

Childeltune, Childetune (xi cent.).

East Chiltington, formerly a chapelry of Westmeston, is now a parish of 2,500 acres to the east of Plumpton. It lay entirely in the Weald and its altitude varied from 100 ft. to 196 ft. at one point in the north-east, until by the East Sussex Review Order of 1934 detached parts of Chailey and Westmeston parishes were added to it on the south, including Warningore, Allington House, and a portion of Downland running up to 648 ft. Various lanes cross it, running north from the main road to Lewes at the foot of the Downs, and east from Streat; and the road from Wivelsfield to Chailey passes through the north of the parish. The church is in the centre of the parish, where the lane from Streat meets another coming from the south. Chapel Farm is to the west of the church and Stantons Farm to the south, while Wootton Farm lies farther east. The railway line from Haywards Heath to Lewes runs across the centre of the parish, and the nearest station is Plumpton, a mile north-west. The Chailey Institution is in the north of the parish. The soil is loam, sand, and clay, and the chief crops are wheat, oats, peas, beans, and turnips. This ecclesiastical parish was attached to Westmeston until 1909, when it was transferred to Plumpton.

A thatched cottage, on the west side of Chiltington Lane, towards the north end, shows timber-framing and a repaired 17th-century chimney-stack with wide oak-lintelled fire-places.

Lower Burrells, farther down on the north-east side, is an attractive timber-framed house. The main range of three bays dates from the first half of the 17th century, and, not long after, wings were added, projecting north from the end bays, making a half-H plan. The south front shows timber-framing in wide panels over Georgian brick. The east front displays work of two periods: the earlier range has a gable-hipped roof and a jettied first-floor, now underpinned by a brick wall; the wing has slightly different levels, and oblong panelling above a band of close studding over a brick base; the window spacing is original. In the north, or yard, elevation the decorative close-studding is carried on between wider panels above and below, and there is diagonal strutting, also ornamental, below the hipped gable. The west wing is contemporary, but the gable has plain prick-posts between the tie and collar; below the tie the wall is faced with late-17th-century brick. The hall occupies the two east bays of the main block, separated by a moulded beam, (fn. 1) and a third of the end bay is divided off by original partitioning, which contains an internal window with diagonal bars. The roofs are now floored at tie-beam level, but retain a strutted king-post over the centre of the hall.

Upper Burrells, farther south, is an early-17thcentury house of three bays. A circular plaque on the front with S B 1735 (for Susannah Bradford) provides the date of its refacement in brick, with some tilehanging at the south end. The west front is patterned with vitrified headers, and each bay has a long white panel common to both floors containing three-light sash windows, of which the side lights are narrower. Original timber-framing shows internally, especially in the upper story. There is an 18th-century staircase, in one straight flight, and cupboards of the same date.

Farther south, on the east side, is a dilapidated cottage (Nos. 42 and 43). It is timber-framed with later brick-nogging or brick facing, and contains two wide fire-places, the western one now curiously placed at right-angles instead of backing; the eastern one has a four-centred head with moulded lintel. These were probably late-16th-century insertions into an early16th-century house. The next cottage (no. 41) has timber-framing in wide panels, and a repaired early17th-century chimney-stack.

Wootton Farm is a thatched house of three bays, perhaps of 16th-century origin. The south front is partly refaced with 17th-century brick and has [E/TI] 1652 above an 18th-century door. Original timber-framing with wide curved struts appears at the east end (fn. 2) and in the north wall east of a 17th-century chimney-stack, which serves a great oak-lintelled fire-place, now unused. The hall is now subdivided, but a moulded beam shows that it was originally of two bays, in the eastern of which wide baulks are visible above the old joists. 'White House', to the east, is a small early-18th-century brick house with rusticated entrance and tiled hipped roof; the cellar has a barrel vault resting on great blocks of masonry.

Chapel Farm (fn. 3) lies south-west of the church. The present house is evidently a part only of a much larger building that occupied the site. The existing fabric is chiefly of the first part of the 16th century, but there is insufficient evidence to identify the rooms in relation to the original plan. The main block is of three roof bays, lying north and south, of three stories (including the attic) and having at the north end a cross-wing projecting eastward. From the east wall of the main block a newel stair projects, square in plan, and at the south end of the same wall is a small eastward wing, of which the first floor is modern. (fn. 4)

Of the north wing, the southern exposed wall of its eastern projection is of Tudor brickwork with a large projecting stone chimney with plinth. The fire-place within this on the ground floor has a wide fourcentred moulded stone arch with plain spandrels and moulded jambs of early-16th-century character but much damaged. Its east wall on the ground floor is oak-framed and brick-nogged and joins at its northern end an earlier and ruined stone wall that continues some distance beyond the wing to the east. The gable end of the wing overhangs the ground story with heavy projecting joists of the first floor and a bracket on the south-east corner post. The north-east angle rests on the ruined wall below. From the evidence of the oak framing of this wing on the first floor there was formerly a projecting oak window looking east. The whole wing comprises four bays, the two easterly being occupied by the drawing-room on the ground floor and the room over. Both contain Elizabethan panelling. A part of the next bay is occupied by a stair of about 1600, the landing of which is approached by a four-centred oak archway with hollow chamfer. The remainder of the third bay and the fourth form a bedroom in the north-west angle of the house. The wall posts between the third and fourth bays retain the tenons of the heavy braces or spandrel-pieces that formerly made an arch beneath the tie-beam.

The main block of the present house has very little to indicate a definite date. The rooms below were never open to the roof, which is occupied by the original attics, separated by heavy oak framing. From the evidence of the collar beams, the curved windbraces, and the general character of the framing, the date is just pre-Elizabethan. The roof plate is cut to allow access from the newel stair, which, however, is not much later than the building it serves. It is faced with early 2-in. bricks in English bond.

The most important feature in this part of the house is the fine stone fire-place in the 'Old Kitchen', that is the chief apartment to the south on the ground floor. This is of similar detail to that in the drawing-room but larger and much more elaborate, having vine ornament boldly carved in the spandrels. It is in situ, dating from the first part of the 16th century. (fn. 5) Externally the stack is taken up to form a rude gable under the shafts, a rebuilding of the first half of the 17th century. The 'Old Kitchen' contains Elizabethan panelling.

The south end of the building is tile-hung over thin bricks. The roofs are modern, but used to have Horsham slates. The windows are renewed throughout. (fn. 6)

The Chaloners formerly owned Chapel House, and the younger branch of the family lived at Stantons, (fn. 7) a long building, dated 1570, (fn. 8) consisting of five bays, the two western sharing a central chimney-stack with wide lintelled fire-places. (fn. 9) The north porch, central to the early house, is two-storied. A bay to the west, with external stack, was added early in the 17th century, and there is a recent annexe at the east end. The central staircase (fn. 10) was inserted in the late 17th century, and the porch bay elaborated into an entrance hall. The staircase branches to east and west; it has square newels, turned balusters, moulded hand-rails, and in the west part a latticed dog-gate with spiked top. The old entrance door remains, with small moulded styles and original knocker. The south front shows flint and sandstone, with some Sussex marble and brick quoins, and there is 18th-century brick and tile-hanging to the west bay. Stop-chamfered ceiling-beams are exposed on both floors, and on the first some are ogee-moulded, suggesting two-bayed rooms originally. There is a cellar under part.

Across the lane west of the house there is a 17thcentury barn, timber-framed in square panels above later brick, part being weather-boarded.

Manors

At the time of the Conquest, and before it, there were two manors of 'Childeltune' or 'Childentune' in Streat Hundred. The larger of these had been held by Fredri of King Edward for 7 hides and in 1086 was held by Earl Warenne for 5 hides and 1 virgate, the rest being in the Count of Mortain's rape. Robert de Pierpoint was the earl's tenant and 'a certain knight' held 2½ hides of Robert. (fn. 11) A second manor had been held of Edward the Confessor for 2 hides by Godric. By 1086 Godfrey de Pierpoint was holding it of Earl Warenne for 1½ hides, the rest having been joined to the Count of Mortain's rape. (fn. 12) It seems probable that the smaller manor later developed into the manor of EAST CHILTINGTON or CHILTINGTON FERRING, and that it formed part of the 10 fees in Portslade, Aldrington, and Ovingdean, the overlordship of which fell to Edmund Lenthall in the division of the barony in 1439 (fn. 13) and subsequently to the lord of the manor of Portslade, in whose hands it was found as late as 1631. (fn. 14)

Beatrice de Pierpoint, presumably heir of Godfrey, married William son of Rainald de Warenne, (fn. 15) illegitimate son of the second earl, and their daughter evidently brought the fee in marriage to Hubert de Burgh, with the manor of Portslade (q.v.). It was granted in dower in 1247 to Margaret, third wife of Hubert de Burgh and sister of Alexander, King of Scots, as ½ knight's fee. (fn. 16) It continued to descend with the manor of Portslade, (fn. 17) passing through Hubert's granddaughter Hawise, the wife of Sir Robert de Grelle, (fn. 18) to their daughter Joan, and her husband John la Warr, and his descendants. (fn. 19)

Alfred de Feringes, mentioned in 1247, (fn. 20) is the first known sub-tenant, and seems to have been succeeded by Simon de Feryng, who had a son, John de Palyng, but demised the manor for life to Master John de Fering. (fn. 21) Master John was still in possession of the manor in 1280, holding it 'of the inheritance of Emma' wife of George de Barenton, (fn. 22) but in 1283 John the son of Simon and Amice de Ferring recovered it from him. (fn. 23) A Richard de Ferryng was living in 1327 and 1341, (fn. 24) and he and his widow Agnes, who was alive in 1356, appear to have left two daughters, Isabel the wife of John atte Nasshe, and Agnes atte Stone, whose son Thomas atte Stone shared the reversion of the estate with Isabel. (fn. 25) One moiety remained in the family of atte Stone until about 1440, when it seems to have been conveyed by Thomas atte Stone to John Wodye. (fn. 26) In 1491–3 a John Wody and Agnes his wife conveyed what is described as the manor of FERRING to William Covert. (fn. 27) He was not holding it at his death in 1494, but his son John died seised of half the manor in 1504, leaving three infant daughters. (fn. 28) In 1510 John Wody and Anne his wife conveyed a moiety of the manor to Richard Culpeper, (fn. 29) John Chaloner of Cuckfield, and others. John Chaloner in 1520 left the (? whole) manor of Ferrings to his son Nicholas, (fn. 30) who held it as ½ knight's fee of the manor of Portslade, and who died in 1566, when it appears to have passed to his son Richard, who died in 1610. (fn. 31) Richard's son and heir Nicholas died in 1613 (fn. 32) and was succeeded by his son, also Nicholas. (fn. 33) He held the manor no longer by military service but in socage, by rent of 8d. a year, by charter of the lord of the manor of Portslade. (fn. 34) He died in 1646 (fn. 35) and the manor descended in the family of Chaloner (fn. 36) until 1729, when Richard and Thomas Chaloner sold the manor to David Fuller. (fn. 37) In 1827 it appears in possession of William Coast and Margaret his wife. (fn. 38) The seat of the manor at this time seems to have been Chapel Farm. (fn. 39)


Feringes. Argent two gimel bars with a lion passant in the chief all gules.


Chaloner. Azure a cheveron argent between three voided lozenges or on the cheveron a trefoil sable.

What appears to have been the Nasshe moiety of the manor of Chiltington was conveyed in 1356 by John atte Nasshe and his wife Isabel to Nicholas de Wylcombe, (fn. 40) who was already holding land there. (fn. 41) In 1392 this was settled on Nicholas Wylcombe's son Robert and his wife Alice, with contingent reversion to Robert's brothers John and Peter. (fn. 42) Peter appears to have succeeded his brothers and through him the manor of CHILTINGTON alias STANTONS (fn. 43) came into the possession of John Ledys, son and heir of Alice, formerly wife of Peter Wylcombe, (fn. 44) and he held his first court in 1449. (fn. 45) The manor remained with John's descendants, the feoffees of William Ledys holding courts there in 1503 and 1505 and those of his son John in 1529. (fn. 46) John was five years old at the time of his father's death in 1515 or 1516, (fn. 47) and his mother Anne married Henry Roberdes, who took charge of the manor till John's majority. (fn. 48) In 1548 John and Agnes Leedes conveyed the manor to Nicholas Chaloner, (fn. 49) who had inherited Chiltington Ferring. Stantons passed to his younger son Nicholas, (fn. 50) who died in 1612, and his son Francis, at his death in 1624, was holding Stantons of Walter Dobell as of his manor of Westmeston. (fn. 51) Stantons passed from father to son in this branch of the Chaloner family until 1714, when Nicholas Chaloner, great-grandson of Francis, (fn. 52) sold it to Michael Marten. (fn. 53) The latter was succeeded by his son John, to whom his mother Ann Marten released her right of dower in Stantons in 1736. (fn. 54) He died in 1741, and his son John left the manor in 1797 to John Marten Cripps son of John Cripps and Mary Wood niece of John Marten. (fn. 55) John Marten Cripps, of Novington and Stantons, died in 1853, (fn. 56) and was succeeded by his son Capt. Rush Marten Cripps, who died in 1885, when the property was sold to H. Powell Edwards. On his death in 1916 it passed to the present owner, Colonel H. I. Powell Edwards, D.S.O. (fn. 57)


Leedes. Argent a fesse gules between three eagles sable.


Cripps. Or a cheveron vert with five horseshoes argent thereon.

NOVINGTON Manor first appears in 1258, when it was in the possession of Robert de Pierpoint (fn. 58) lord of Westmeston. (fn. 59) It descended with the manors of Westmeston and Streat (q.v.) (fn. 60) until it was sold by George Goring to George Luxford in 1610. (fn. 61) The latter died seised of Novington in 1631, leaving a son John, (fn. 62) and it remained in the Luxford family (fn. 63) until the second half of the 18th century, when it passed by the marriage of Mary Luxford to William Hassell, and subsequently to their daughter Ann Hassell, who was holding it in 1786. (fn. 64) It was shortly afterwards acquired by John Marten Cripps of Stantons.


Luxford. Or a pile azure with three boars' heads or thereon.

WARNINGORE [Venningore, Wantungor' (xi cent.); Wanighore (xiii cent.); Wanyngore (xiv to xvii cent.)] lies mainly in the parish of Chailey, but the farm of that name was transferred in 1934 to East Chiltington. (fn. 65)

Before the Conquest it was held of King Edward the Confessor by four alodial tenants for 3½ hides. Part of this was subsequently attached to the Count of Mortain's rape and by 1086 Earl Warenne was holding the remaining 3 hides, his tenant being Hugh son of Golda. (fn. 66) The 7 knights' fees of which Warningore formed part descended under the overlordship of the Earls of Surrey, passing to the Bergavenny third of the barony in 1439, (fn. 67) and continued in that family until at least 1543.

The manor descended in the family of Plaiz with the manor of Iford in Swanborough Hundred (q.v.). It came eventually into the hands of Sir John Dalyngrigge, who, when in 1396 he was obliged to sell many of his goods, retained the live and dead stock of this manor, with five horses for riding. (fn. 68) Warningore continued to be held with Iford, descending in third shares to the infant heiresses of Sir Roger Lewknor on his death in 1543.

From this time its descent takes a separate course. In 1588 Constance, one of the daughters, and her second husband Edward Glemham were holding a moiety of the manor, (fn. 69) and in 1599 Constance, now a widow, was sharing the whole manor with Sir Ralph Bosvile, grandson of Katherine Lewknor by her second marriage with Wyndham Morgan, and John Mill grandson of Katherine and her first husband John Mill. (fn. 70) In 1616 the whole manor was conveyed by John Mill and his wife Amy, Constance Glemham and her son Anthony Foster and his wife Elizabeth, to William Prise, (fn. 71) probably for a settlement on Constance, who died seised of the whole manor in 1635. Her son Anthony Foster was her heir, (fn. 72) and the manor was subsequently held, like Camoys Court in Barcombe (q.v.), in sixths by his heirs, Morgan and David Jefferyes, Robert Rochester, Anthony Browning, Walter Bockland, and Henry Watkinson. (fn. 73) In 1654 five of these conveyed the whole manor to Peter Bettesworth, (fn. 74) but before 1671 it had come into the hands of Matthew Grace, who sold it in that year to John Wheeler. (fn. 75) Warningore is next heard of in 1711, when it was held by the Rev. William Rootes of Chailey. (fn. 76) Later it came into the possession of the Mansell family and in 1740 was held by the Hon. Christopher Mansell, (fn. 77) who became Baron Mansell on the death of his nephew Thomas in 1743–4. At his death it passed to his brother Bussy Mansell, who died in 1750, (fn. 78) and from this date it follows the descent of Newick Place (q.v.), (fn. 79) the present owner being Mr. Gilbert E. Sclater of Newick.

A chapel of Warningore is mentioned in 1287, (fn. 80) and also in 1303 and 1396, (fn. 81) but there is no further trace of it.

The custom of Borough English obtained in the manor. (fn. 82)

The manor of WOOTTON [Wodetona (vii cent.); Odintune (xi cent.); Woodton, Wotton (xvi-xviii cent.)] was given by Ceadwalla, King of Wessex, to Theodore, Archbishop of Canterbury, in 687. (fn. 83) It remained the property of the Archbishops, and was appropriated to the clothing of the monks of Christchurch. Before the Norman Conquest it was assessed at 6 hides, but by 1086 1½ hides which lay in East Grinstead had been attached to the Count of Mortain's rape. (fn. 84) During the 15th century the manor was leased by the Prior of Christchurch to the Prior of St. Pancras, Lewes, at a yearly rent of £10 13s. 4d. There was then a hall with a low chamber at the south end and a small kitchen, a thatched grange, a tiled granary, and a small thatched stable beside the entrance gates. The stock accompanying the lease consisted of 4 oxen, a cock, and 2 hens. (fn. 85) In 1535 the manor was valued among the possessions of Christchurch, Canterbury, at £13 6s. 8d. (fn. 86) After the Dissolution it became the property of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury Cathedral (fn. 87) and still remains so. It was leased from time to time to many different families, (fn. 88) until in 1716 it was let to Henry Pelham and subsequently to his son Thomas, and to the Earls of Chichester, his descendants, (fn. 89) with whom it still remains.


Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. Azure a cross argent charged with the letters I/X sable.

There was also 1 hide in Wootton, formerly held by Godric of King Edward the Confessor, which in 1086 was held by Nigel of William de Warenne. No one lived on it. (fn. 90) Nigel gave this hide of land to the priory of St. Pancras at Lewes and the grant was confirmed by William de Warenne II. (fn. 91)

Church

The chapel, now parish church, of unknown dedication, is built of sandstone rubble; the roofs are tiled.

The nave dates to the early 12th century. A west tower was added c. 1200. The chancel was rebuilt later. The church was restored in 1889–90. (fn. 92)

The chancel (16 ft. 2 in. × 15 ft. 10 in.) presents few original features. The east wall with its diagonal buttresses is modern, but a 15th-century cross is re-used. The north wall is probably a 14th-century rebuild and has a chamfered plinth. The south wall is contemporary, with a modern two-light window. The chancel arch was rebuilt 1889–90.

The nave (36 ft. 6 in. × 18 ft.) has a north wall, c. 3 ft. thick. At its east angle is a 12th- or 13th-century buttress in two stages with restored top chamfer and some brick repairs. The west buttress is built with the west wall, possibly rebuilt with the tower. A lean-to coal-store blocks the outside of a 12th-century doorway with elliptical rear-arch and plain jambs. Opposite, in the middle of the south wall, is a contemporary doorway, also with similar rear-arch but loftier, and with a slight chamfer in the head; the outer arch is later and equilateral. West of it is an original window; it has a loop 6 in. wide with chamfered semicircular head, a semicircular rear-arch, and hollow-chamfered jambs. A modern two-light window probably replaces a similar loop east of the doorway. The east buttress is built with the east wall of the nave, and is of two chamfered stages without a plinth; the west buttress is similar. The old wall-plate is visible externally.


The PARISH CHURCH EAST CHILTINGTON

The PARISH CHURCH EAST CHILTINGTON

The west tower (9 ft. 8 in. × 11 ft. 2 in.) is of early13th-century date and of two stages undivided externally; it is finished with a pyramidal cap. It is also built in sandstone rubble, but less well coursed. There are no buttresses or external entrance. The tower arch is of two chamfered obtuse-pointed orders, of which the outer is probably of 14th-century date, the inner with its corbels modern. There is a modern screen dividing it from the nave. The north wall has a contemporary chamfered lancet with a segmental-pointed rear-arch. There is a similar lancet in the south wall, restored externally. In the west wall is a modern window of three lancet lights. The top stage has, to north, a loop with semicircular rebated head, and a restored loop in the south and west walls; on the east are two rough slits.

The nave and chancel roofs are partly of 17thcentury date. The chancel has a tie-beam and later queen-post struts. The nave has three 17th-century chamfered ties with similar struts; the middle tie is marked on the east face—N C I C 1669. The tower ceiling is modern. The floors are of modern tiles and wood, there is a step at the chancel arch and another at the altar rail.

The altar fittings include re-used and restored panelling. There are 18th-century Commandment tables, over the chancel arch; in the vestry is a late medieval crucifix, re-set, dug up in what, since 1908, has been the churchyard. There are mason's marks on the internal jambs of the doorways to the nave. The pulpit is dated 1719.

There is one bell, 1769. (fn. 93)

The plate includes a cup (1662 hallmark), paten (1739), and another with no date mark, a flagon and two glass cruets with silver mounts, and a pewter alms-dish (1737 inscription). (fn. 94)

The registers date from 1651.

There is a yew south of the church; it has lost its head, and has been filled with two tons of concrete to preserve the rest.

East Chiltington was a chapel of ease to Westmeston from at least 1291 (fn. 95) and so remained until 1909, when it was annexed to Plumpton. (fn. 96)

Charity

Richard Parsons by will in 1611 gave the Pit Croft, containing 1½ acres, the rents thereof to be applied to the lame and impotent poor of Chiltington. The land was sold in 1904 and the endowment is now represented by £232 19s. Consols producing £5 16s. 4d. annually in dividends which are applied for the benefit of the poor in accordance with the provisions of a Scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 25 Feb. 1910.

Footnotes

1 The moulding shows on the west side alone, there being a lower ceiling to the eastern bay.
2 There do not seem to have been any jetties, the north-east post being common to both stories.
3 For assistance in tracing the development of this house we are indebted to Mr. Walter H. Godfrey.
4 Grimm's distant view c. 1780 shows a low building here, seemingly of one story: Add. MS. 5672, fol. 19.
5 There is a four-centred oak-lintelled fire-place in the room above.
6 Grimm shows only a three-light window in the southern elevation.
7 Horsfield, Hist. of Sussex, i, 236.
8 Grimm's drawing of the north front in c. 1780 gives a detached plaque, not now visible, with 1570 above the Chaloner arms. See Add. MS. 5672, fol. 19.
9 On both floors originally.
10 The original staircase was in line with the central stack.
11 V.C.H. Suss. i, 442 a. This presumably formed part of the 10 fees in 'Herst' held in 1242–3 by Simon de Pierpoint (Bk. of Fees, 690), and the 10 fees in Hurst, Westmeston, and Wrentham, formerly held by Robert de Pierpoint and in 1439 passing to the Duke of Norfolk with his ⅓ of the barony of Lewes: Bk. of John Rowe (Suss. Rec. Soc. xxxiv,) 188, 192.
12 V.C.H. Suss. i, 442 a.
13 Bk. of Fees, 690; Bk. of John Rowe, 187, 192.
14 Ibid. 205.
15 Farrer, Honors and Knights' Fees, iii, 323.
16 Suss. Rec. Soc. ii, 438.
17 Bk. of J. Rowe, 205.
18 G.E.C. Complete Peerage (2nd ed.), vi, 107–9.
19 Chan. Inq. p.m. 44 Ed. III, 1st nos. (68).
20 Suss. Rec. Soc. ii, 438.
21 Ibid. vii, 933. He was living there in 1275, together with Amice, the widow of Simon de Palyng, about whom he had an affray with the sheriff, Mathew de Hastings. The latter carried her off from Chiltington on his palfrey, but Master John and his friends followed and recaptured her: Rot. Hund. (Rec. Com.), ii, 201.
22 Suss. Rec. Soc. vii, 933.
23 Ibid.; Assize R. 1260, m. 2.
24 Suss. Rec. Soc. x, 178, 293; Inq. Non. (Rec. Com.), 381.
25 Suss. Rec. Soc. xxiii, 2156, 2170. In the first of these fines Agnes is called, evidently in error, the wife of John de Ferrynges.
26 Ibid. 3035.
27 Ibid. 3284.
28 Ibid. xiv, 290–1; Comber, Suss. Gen. (Ardingly), 180.
29 Suss. Rec. Soc. xix, 165.
30 Bk. of J. Rowe, 205–6; Comber, Suss. Gen. (Lewes), 41.
31 Ibid. 43; Suss. Rec. Soc. xix, 165.
32 Comber, loc. cit.
33 Ibid., p. 44.
34 Bk. of J. Rowe, 206.
35 Comber, op. cit. 44.
36 Suss. Rec. Soc. xix, 165; Comber, op. cit. 41–7.
37 Add. MS. 39493, fol. 82.
38 Suss. Rec. Soc. xix, 165. William Stacey Coast apparently held the manor in 1791: Gamekeepers' Deputations, Lewes.
39 Horsfield, Sussex, i, 235–6.
40 Suss. Rec. Soc. xxiii, 2170.
41 Ibid. 1828 (1333).
42 Cal. Deeds, Lewes, Coll. N. 265.
43 Staunton (xvi cent.). In 1391 Stantonsfee and Ferryngesfee in Chiltington are mentioned: Suss. Rec. Soc. xi, 382.
44 Lloyd, 'Leedes of Wappingthorne', Suss. Arch. Coll. liv, 41, 43; Add. MS. 5683, fol. 209.
45 Ibid.
46 Ibid.
47 E. Chan. Proc. 839 (22–5).
48 John's grandmother Joan Allfrye held in demesne in the manor lands to the value of £5 4s. 2d. She died c. 1529: ibid.
49 Suss. Rec. Soc. xx, 415; Comber, Suss. Gen. (Ardingly), 82; ibid. (Lewes), 41.
50 Ibid. (Ardingly), 82 et seq.; Bk. of J. Rowe, 205.
51 Suss. Rec. Soc. xiv, 226.
52 Comber, Suss. Gen. (Ardingly), 83; Recov. R. Mich. 1651, ro. 130; Ibid. East. 1 Wm. and Mary, ro. 39.
53 Suss. Rec. Soc. xx, 415.
54 Add. MSS. 5683, fol. 78.
55 Pedigree supplied by a member of the Marten family.
56 Dict. Nat. Biog.
57 Ex inf. F. Bentham Stevens.
58 Cal. Close, 1256–9, 303.
59 Novington was transferred from Westmeston to East Chiltington parish in 1934.
60 Suss. Rec. Soc. x, 178; xxiii, 1779, 3092; xiv, 437, 482; xix, 83.
61 Ibid. xx, 324.
62 Ibid. xiv, 680.
63 Fine R. 15 Chas. I, pt. ii, no. 35; Recov. R. Mich. 22 Chas. II.
64 Add. MS. 5684, fol. 33; Feet of F. Div. Co. Hil. 26, Geo. III.
65 Cf. Horsfield, Suss. i, 226, 236; Kelly, Suss. Dir. (1934).
66 V.C.H. Suss. i, 419, 442.
67 Farrer, Honors and Knights' Fees, iii, 334–6; Inq. p.m. 18 Hen. VI, no. 28; Suss. Rec. Soc. xxxiii, 8.
68 Cal. Close, 1392–6, pp. 499–500.
69 Suss. Rec. Soc. xx, 461.
70 Ibid. xxxiii, 217; Suss. Arch. Coll. iii, 96; Visit. Hants (Harl. Soc.), 160.
71 Suss. Rec. Soc. xx, 446.
72 Ibid. xiv, 472.
73 Ibid. xix, 283; xx, 462; Add. MS. 5684, fol. 154.
74 Suss. Rec. Soc. xx, 446.
75 Ibid. 462.
76 He died in 1713: Venn, Alumni Cant.
77 Information supplied by the Rev. W. Budgen.
78 G.E.C. Complete Peerage (2nd ed.), viii, 386.
79 Deeds, W. G. (Lewes).
80 Assize R. 924, m. 59.
81 Farrer, Honors and Knights' Fees, iii, 337; Cal. Close, 1392–6, p. 499.
82 Suss. Arch. Coll. vi, 180.
83 Dugdale, Mon. i, 95.
84 V.C.H. Suss. i, 388, 419.
85 Cal. Deeds. A. Lewes, 610–11.
86 Dugdale, Mon. i, 119.
87 Cal. Deeds, A. Lewes, 612, &c.
88 Ibid.
89 Ibid. 643–59; Cal. Deeds, W. G. Lewes, 86–100.
90 V.C.H. Suss. i, 442.
91 Lewes Chart. (Suss. Rec. Soc. xxxviii), 12, 22.
92 See Lambert's drawing of 1777: Add. MS. 5677, fol. 50; also Sharpe's of 1802 in the Library of the Society of Antiquaries. W. E. Meads, article in Sussex Express, 14 Aug. 1931.
93 S.A.C. xvi, 205.
94 Ibid. liv, 242.
95 Tax. Eccl. (Rec. Com.), 136 and notes.
96 Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), 1, 334; Suss. Rec. Soc. xxix, 572; ibid, xx, 423; Horsfield, Suss. i, 235–6; Chich. Dioc. Cal.


<--Previous:
Parishes:
Chailey