The hundred of Kington

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

L. F. Salzman (editor)

Year published

1949

Pages

1-2

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'The hundred of Kington', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 5: Kington hundred (1949), pp. 1-2. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=57025 Date accessed: 18 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

KINGTON HUNDRED

The Hundred of Kineton or, as it is more usually called, Kington, lies immediately south of the town of Warwick, between the rivers Avon on the west and Itchen on the east. It was formed in the 12th century out of four Domesday hundreds: these were:

1. 'Tremelau', of which the meeting-place may have been at the Moot Hill, just to the east of the church of Lighthorne. (fn. 1) It contained the parishes of Atherstone-on-Stour, Barford, Chadshunt, Charlecote, Chesterton, Comberton, Compton Verney, Ettington, Gaydon, Halford, Lighthorne, Butlers Marston, Moreton Morrell, Newbold Pacey, the Pillertons, Tachbrook, and Wasperton.

2. 'Honesberie', containing Avon Dassett, Burton Dassett, Fenny Compton, Farnborough, Priors Hardwick, Priors Marston, part of Mollington—the remainder being in Oxfordshire, to which county the whole was annexed in 1895—Radway, Ratley, Shotteswell, Warmington, and Wormleighton.

3. 'Fexhole', containing Brailes, Cherington, Compton Wyniates, Honington, Idlicote, Kineton, Oxhill, Tysoe, Wellesbourne with Walton, and Whatcote; with a detached portion, probably originally woodland, on the west side of the county containing the three parishes of Lapworth, Packwood, and Tanworth.

4. 'Berricestone', or Barcheston, containing Barcheston, Barton-on-the Heath, Burmington, Long Compton, Whichford, and Wolford; with Ilmington, Stretton-on-Fosse, and Whitchurch separated from the main body by an intruding tongue of Worcestershire. (fn. 2)

None of these four Domesday hundreds occurs again outside the Survey, and by 1169 the 'sipesocha', (fn. 3) or hundred, of Kington had taken their place. The hundred is said to have been granted by Henry II to Walter son of Thurstan de Charlecote, (fn. 4) the ancestor of the Lucy family, to hold by a rent of 40s. During the reign of John it was taken into the king's hands and farmed at 21 marks, in addition to which the issues of the court leet produced 61s. 4d., sheriff's aid £10, and 'wardpeni' 8s. 8d. (fn. 5) In 1227 Henry III inspected charters of Henry II and John confirming the hundred to William de Lucy and ordered that it should be restored to him. (fn. 6) It had, however, come back to the Crown by 1236, when its farm was accounted for by William de Lucy as sheriff. (fn. 7) From this time it was farmed out to various persons: as in 1270 Richard de Hersey, (fn. 8) who paid 100 s. more than the old rent, Thomas Blaunkfront in 1317, (fn. 9) John de Waltham in 1331, (fn. 10) Geoffrey Oede in 1335, (fn. 11) and Richard, Earl of Arundel, in 1356. (fn. 12) A valuation of the issues of the hundred in 1367 (fn. 13) shows that it was farmed at £8; the payments de certo of the vills amounted to £7 19s. 8d.; and those for 'warth' to 6s. 5d.

By the time of Dugdale (c. 1645) the only vills doing suit to the hundred court were Shotteswell, Warmington, Stretton-on-Fosse, part of Wellesbourne, Oxhill, Avon Dassett, Mollington, Halford, Barton-on-the-Heath, Ratley, Farnborough, and Aylston. (fn. 14) At this time the hundred was divided into the constabularies of Brailes, Kineton, Priors Marston, and Tanworth, each under a High Constable; (fn. 15) these were replaced in 1828 by the Petty Sessional divisions of Kineton, Long Compton, Mollington, and Warwick. (fn. 16) In the present century the four divisions have become Brailes, Kineton, Burton Dassett, and Warwick.

In 1844 the parish of Sutton-under-Brailes, which up to that time had been an isolated part of Gloucestershire entirely surrounded by Warwickshire, was transferred to this county. (fn. 17) By the Transfer Order of 1931 (fn. 18) the parishes of Clifford Chambers, Dorsington, Long Marston, Preston-on-Stour, Welfordon-Avon, and Weston-on-Avon were transferred from Gloucestershire, and those of Alderminster, Shipston-on-Stour, Tidmington, and Tredington from Worcestershire. The history of these last four parishes has already been recorded in V.C.H. Worcester; the others will be treated under Gloucestershire, to which county they belong historically, except Welford and Weston, of which large parts were always in Warwickshire. Similarly Mollington was from medieval times divided between Warwickshire and Oxfordshire, but since 1895 has been entirely in the latter county, under which its history will be dealt with.

Footnotes

1 Place-names of Warws. 247.
2 a Early in the 13th century the hundred contained the bailiwicks of 'Thremloue', 'Honesburi', and 'Chickenasse' (cf. V.C.H. Warw. iii, 2), which represented the other two D.B. hundreds: Lay Subs. R. 192/1.
3 For the significance of the term sipesocha see V.C.H. Warw. iii, 3.
4 Dugd. 371.
5 Red Bk. of Exch. 776–7.
6 Rot. Litt. Claus. (Rec. Com.), i, 507. Cf. Roll of Justices in Eyre in . . . Warws. (Selden Soc.), 791.
7 Dugd. 371.
8 Cal. Pat. 1266–72, p. 426.
9 Cal. Fine R. ii, 325.
10 Ibid. iv, 223.
11 Ibid. 468.
12 Cal. Pat. 1354–8, p. 408.
13 Exch. K. R. Accts. 509, no. 9.
14 Dugd. 371.
15 V.C.H. Warw. iii, 3.
16 Ibid. 4.
17 Under Stat. 7 & 8 Vict. cap. 61.
18 21 Geo. V, cap. ix.