Population: 1911, 252; 1921, 245; 1931, 233.
The parish, which adjoins Oxfordshire on the east
and south, is hilly, most of the land lying between
400 ft. in the north and 600 ft. in the south. The soil
is rich corn-land, but much of it is pasture. There are
several small streams, of which one forms the parish
boundary for some distance on the east and north; and
there are many trees in the hedgerows, as well as one or
two shaws in the south. The road from Banbury to
Warwick runs through the parish from south to north
and then north-west, sending off a branch to the hamlet
of Arlescote, which lies in the west of the parish on the
slopes of Edge Hill where it is crowned by Nadbury
Camp in Ratley (q.v.).
The church stands directly on the east side of the
main road from Banbury to Warwick at the top of a
steep gradient and the village lies mostly to the northeast of it at a lower level. It is one of the few in this
district that has a spacious village green (almost rectangular), with the houses on three sides of it and with a
slope upwards to the south. Most of the buildings are
of local stone with thatched or stone-tiled roofs. One of
the houses at the south-east angle, facing west, has
17th-century windows with mullions and labels and an
arched and square-headed doorway also with a label.
Grove Farm, in a side turning just off the south-east of
the green, is mainly an 18th-century ashlar stone house
with a central front door and plain square-headed
windows, but is of earlier origin, having mullioned
windows surviving in the basement walls, moulded
ceiling-beams, and a staircase with turned balusters and
newels of the 17th century.
The Manor House, of two stories and attics, faces
the green at its higher south end and is built of coursed
rough ashlar. It dates from the second half of the 16th
century and is of half-H-shaped plan: the gabled wings
project to the south and have gables also on the north
front, which is all in one plane. They have moulded
copings and tall pinnacles at the apexes. The west side
of the west wing has a tall flush dormer (over the
staircase) with a similar gable. A similar dormer on the
east side of the house (to the east staircase) became
dilapidated and was taken down a few years ago. All
the windows have moulded mullions and labels; some
have been restored. The north and south doorways
have moulded jambs with base-stops and four-centred
arches in square heads with labels and with plain
shields carved in the spandrels. They open into a crosspassage west of the middle hall, which is entered from
it by another arched doorway. The hall has a moulded
north fire-place with four-centred arch, set in a chimney-stack that projects on the north front and has a
plain shaft. There are similar fire-places in the southeast wing and in the upper story. The kitchen in the
south-west wing has a plain wide fire-place. The hall
has fine moulded ceiling-beams and exposed joists.
Both east and west staircases wind round a central
framed square newel in which are cupboards, &c., and
the eastern retains a few pierced flat-shaped balusters
against the wall of the lowest flight. The window
masonry throughout has a large number of
masons' marks, a W, an R, and another. The
roofs have tall queen-posts, between which are
the attic-chambers. They are mostly covered
with stone tiles.
In 1086 the Count of Meulan held 13 hides
in WARMINGTON (which probably included Shotteswell) which
Azor had formerly held. (fn. 1) A knight,
unnamed, held 2½ hides of the count. (fn. 2) Another
5 hides in ARLESCOTE, (fn. 3) which Boui had held
before the Conquest, were held in 1086 of the
count by the Norman Abbey of Préaux, to
whom they had been given by the count's father
Roger de Beaumont, and confirmed by William
the Conqueror c. 1080. (fn. 4) When the count's
brother Henry de Newburgh, Earl of Warwick,
succeeded to his estates he evidently gave to the
abbey the whole vill of Warmington, 'excepting
the berewicks', as this gift was confirmed by his grandson Earl Waleran. (fn. 5) Roger, Earl of Warwick (1123–53), confirmed to the monks the grant by Ralf de St.
Sanson of 1 hide and 1 virgate in Warmington, with
tithes there and in Arlescote and Shotteswell, all of
which had been given to his father Richard by Ralf
son of Helebold. (fn. 6) The latter may have been the unnamed knight who held of the count in 1086, and
Ralf's father Richard may be identified with the
Richard who, as a brother of the convent of St. Mary
of Warwick, was allowed to grant tithes in Warmington and its hamlets to Préaux c. 1130. (fn. 7)
The Abbey of Préaux established a cell at Warmington, (fn. 8) the prior of which was holding Arlescote as half a
knight's fee of Edmund, brother of Edward I, as of the
earldom of Leicester in 1299. (fn. 9) During the 14th century, however, the 'priory' seems to have lapsed, and
the manor of Warmington, which was worth about
£30 in 1380, was under the control of the Prior of
Toft Monks (Norfolk), the abbey's representative in
England. (fn. 10) With other possessions of alien houses it
was constantly being seized into the king's hands
during the war with France, and in 1390 Lewis
Clifford and his son Lewis obtained a grant of the English estates of Préaux for their lives. (fn. 11) . (fn. 12) Sir Lewis in
1403 transferred his interest to Sir Thomas Erpingham,
who in turn made it over to the Carthusian Priory of
Witham in Somerset. (fn. 13) After the death of Sir Thomas
the priory received further confirmations of the manors
from Henry VI (fn. 14) and Edward IV. (fn. 15) The manor of
Warmington, which in 1291 had produced £13 17s. 8d.
yearly, (fn. 16) in 1535 was worth £25 10s. 2d. clear. (fn. 17) After
the Dissolution the priory's tenements in Arlescote
were granted in 1542 to Richard Andrews and
Leonard Chamberlain, (fn. 18) who promptly alienated them
to John Lecke of Astrop (Northants) and Edward his
son. (fn. 19) In 1548 Edward Lecke had licence to grant
them to John Croker, (fn. 20) of Hook Norton (Oxon.), who
in 1551 settled the manor of Warmington (which he
had presumably acquired from William and Francis
Sheldon, grantees in 1544) (fn. 21) and lands in Arlescote on
himself for life, with remainder to his son Gerard. (fn. 22)
By Gerard the manors of Warmington and Arlescote
were sold in 1572 to Richard and Thomas Cupper. (fn. 23)
Richard died in or before 1605, when his son Henry
Cupper had livery of the manors. (fn. 24) In 1622 Henry
Cooper (as the name had now become) conveyed the
manor of Warmington to his second son Thomas
Cooper, (fn. 25) who, with Mary Cooper, widow, was dealing
with it in 1628. (fn. 26) Henry Cooper had died seised of the
manor in 1626, (fn. 27) and there seems to have been a division of the manor, as his eldest son Richard in 1633
had livery of one-third of the manor of Warmington. (fn. 28)
Presumably Thomas's share passed to Mannasseh
Cooper, who died in 1640 seised of Arlescote manor
and other lands in Warmington, leaving a son Richard. (fn. 29)
Meanwhile, in 1637, one Simon Davis had livery of
the manor of Warmington, late of his father Richard. (fn. 30)
Simon Davis was dealing with the manor in 1659, (fn. 31) as
were Thomas Knight and Alice his wife (probably
Simon's daughter) in 1671. (fn. 32) In 1702 the same
Thomas and Alice with Richard Davis Knight, (fn. 33) and
in 1736 the latter with Mary his wife and John
Knight, (fn. 34) dealt with the manor. It is next found in
1743 in the hands of William Bumpstead, (fn. 35) who with
his wife Mary dealt with it in 1752. (fn. 36) In 1758 William Bumpstead (no doubt his son), (fn. 37) John Boyd and
Mary his wife (probably widow of the elder William),
and Francis Kemp and Martha conveyed the manor to
Francis Child. (fn. 38) Robert Child, the wealthy banker,
held it in 1764 (fn. 39) and was succeeded by his daughter
Sarah, who in 1787 with her husband John, Earl of
Westmorland, was dealing with the manor. (fn. 40) Their
daughter Sarah Sophia married George, Earl of Jersey,
who was lord of the manor from about 1806 until his
death in 1859. (fn. 41) Mrs. Bennett was lady in 1889, (fn. 42)
and Mr. H. F. Bennett is named as lord of the manor
in 1900, (fn. 43) and in 1924, (fn. 44) but the manorial rights
appear to have lapsed.
Plan of Warmington Manor House
Plan of Warmington Church
The parish church of ST. MICHAEL, (fn. 45)
or ST. NICHOLAS, (fn. 46) consists of a
chancel, north chapel with a priest's chamber above it, nave, north and south aisles and porches
and a west tower.
The nave dates from the 12th century; no detail is
left to indicate its original date but it was of the proportion of two squares, common in the early 12th
century. A north aisle was added first, about the
middle of the 12th century, with an arcade of three
bays; a south aisle followed, near the end of the 12th
century, also with a three-bay arcade. After about a
century a considerable enlargement was begun and
continued over a period of half a century or more;
the nave was lengthened eastwards about 10 ft. and a
new chancel built. The extra length of the side walls
added to the nave perhaps remained unpierced at first.
Although there is a general sameness in the Hornton
stone ashlar walling throughout, all the various parts—chancel, chapel, aisles, and tower—have different
plinths, &c., and there is a great variation in the elevations and details of the windows, showing constant
changes from the 14th century, when there was much
activity, onwards, probably because of decay and need
for repair caused by the church's exposed position on
the brow of a hill.
The south aisle was widened to its present limits
about 1290, on the evidence of the wide splays and
other details of its windows; but an early-13th-century
doorway was re-used. It is possible that the east part of
the north aisle followed soon afterwards, c. 1300, as a
kind of transeptal chapel, on the evidence of its east
window, which differs from the other aisle windows.
From c. 1330–40 much was done. The chancel arch
was widened, new bays to match were inserted in the
east lengths of the nave walls, making both arcades
now of four bays, (fn. 47) the widening of the whole of the
north aisle was completed with the addition of the
north porch. The 12th-century north arcade, which
seems to have lost its inner order, was probably rebuilt.
There is a curious distortion about both aisles, perhaps
only explained by the widenings being made in more
than one period; the north aisle tapers from west to
east and the south aisle tapers from east to west, about
a foot each, as compared with the lines of the arcades.
The south porch was probably added about 1330.
About 1340 came also the addition of the chapel
with the priest's chamber above it. The north wall of
the chancel, probably of the 13th century and thinner
than any of the other walls, was kept to form the south
wall of the chapel, but the other walls were made unusually thick, as though it was at first intended to raise
a higher superstructure than was actually carried out,
perhaps even a tower. If such was the intention it was
quickly abandoned and the west tower was begun
about 1340–5 and carried up to some two-thirds of
its present height. There was not much room above
the road-side and it had to encroach 2 or 3 ft. into the
west end of the nave. The top stage was added or completed in the 15th century.
With the addition of the chapel, alterations were
made to the chancel windows, but its south wall had
to be rebuilt in the 15th century, when new and larger
windows were inserted and the piscina and sedilia
There have been many repairs and renovations,
notably in 1867 to the chancel and 1871 for the rest of
the church, and others since then. The roofs have been
entirely renewed, though probably more or less of the
original forms of the 14th or 15th centuries.
The chancel (about 30½ ft. by 16½ ft.) has an east
window of four trefoiled pointed lights and modern
tracery of 14th-century character in a two-centred
head with an external hood-mould having head-stops.
The jambs and arch, of two moulded orders, and the
hood-mould are early-14th-century. In the north wall
is a 14th-century doorway into the chapel with jambs
and ogee head of three moulded orders and a hoodmould with head-stops, the eastern a cowled man's,
the western a woman's. It contains an ancient oak
door, with stout diagonal framing at the back and hung
with plain strap-hinges. At the west end of the wall are
two windows close together; the eastern, of c. 1340, of
two trefoiled ogee-headed lights and cusped piercings
in a square head with an external label having decayed
head-stops. It has a shouldered internal lintel which
is carved with grotesque faces. The western is a narrower and earlier 14th-century window of two trefoiled ogee-headed lights and a quatrefoil, &c., in a
square head with an external label.
The window at the west end of the south wall is
similar. The other two are 15th-century insertions,
each of two wide cinquefoiled three-centred lights
under a square head with head-stops, one a cowled
human head, the other beast-heads. The jambs and
lintel of two sunk-chamfered orders are old, the rest
restored. The rear lintel is also sunk-chamfered and is
supported in the middle by a shaped stone bracket from
The 14th-century priest's doorway has jambs and
two-centred ogee head of two ovolo-moulded orders
and a cambered internal lintel; it has no hood-mould.
Below the south-east window is a 15th-century piscina with small side pilasters that have embattled heads,
and a trefoiled ogee head enriched with crockets. The
sill, which projects partly as a moulded corbel, has a
round basin. West of it are three sedilia of the same
character with cinquefoiled ogee heads also crocketed
and with finials. At the springing level are carved
human-head corbels: the cusp-points are variously
carved, an acorn, a snake's head, a skull, and foliage.
The two outer are surmounted by crocketed and
finialled gables and all are flanked and divided by
pilasters with embattled heads and crocketed pinnacles.
The east wall is built of yellow-grey ashlar with a
projecting splayed plinth; the gable-head has been
rebuilt. At the south-east angle is a pair of square
buttresses of two stages, probably later additions, as the
plinth is not carried round them. Another at the former
north-east angle has been restored. The south wall is of
yellow ashlar but has a moulded plinth of the 15th
century. The eaves have a hollow-moulded course with
which the uprights of the 15th-century window-labels
The 14th-century chancel arch has responds and
pointed head of two ovolo-moulded orders interrupted
at the springing line by the abacus.
The roof with arched trusses is modern and is
covered with tiles.
The north chapel (about 12 ft. east to west by 17 ft.
deep) is now used as the vestry, and dates from c. 1340.
In its south wall, the thin north wall of the chancel, is
a straight joint 3¼ ft. from the east wall probably
marking the east jamb of a former 13th-century window, and below it is the remnant of an early stringcourse that is chamfered on its upper edge. The east
wall is 3 ft. 10 in. thick and the north wall 4 ft. 6 in.
In the middle of each is a rectangular one-light window
with moulded jambs and head of two orders and an
external label; the internal reveals are half splayed and
part squared at the inner edges and have a flat stone
lintel. The lights were probably cusped originally.
In the west wall is a filled-in square-headed fire-place,
perhaps original. Partly in the recess of the east window
and partly projecting is an ancient thick stone altarslab showing four of the original five crosses cut in the
top. It has a hollow-chamfered lower edge and is supported by moulded stone corbels. South of it in the
east wall is a piscina with a trefoiled ogee-head and
hood-mould and a quatrefoil basin.
The stair-vice that leads up to the story above is in the
south-west angle, its doorway being splayed westwards
to avoid the doorway to the chancel. In it is an ancient
oak door with one-way diagonal framing on the back.
The turret projects externally to the west in the angle
with the chancel wall; it is square in the lower part but
higher is broadened northwards with a splay that is
corbelled out below in three courses, the lowest corbel
having a trefoiled ogee or blind arch cut in it. The top
is tabled back up to the eaves of the chapel west wall.
A moulded string-course passes round the projection
and there is another half-way up the tabling. The
doorway at the top of the spiral stair leading into the
upper chamber has an ancient oak door hung with three
The upper priest's chamber has an east window of
two plain square-headed lights, probably altered. In
the north wall is a rectangular window that was of two
lights but has lost its mullion. Outside it has a false
pointed head of two trefoiled ogee-headed lights and
leaf tracery, all of it blank, and a hood-mould with
human-head stops, one cowled. Apparently this treatment was purely for decorative purposes, like the
square-headed windows at Shotteswell and elsewhere.
The south wall is pierced by a watching-hole into the
chancel, which is fitted with an iron grill and oak shutter:
it has been reduced from a larger opening that had an
ogee head and hood-mould. There is a square-headed
fire-place in the west wall and in the splayed north-west
angle is the entrance to a garderobe or latrine, which is
lighted by a north loop.
The walls are of yellow ashlar and have a plinth of
two courses, the upper moulded, a moulded stringcourse at first-floor level, and moulded eaves-courses
at the sides. The north wall is gabled and has a parapet
with string-course and coping. At the angles are
diagonal buttresses of two stages; the lower stage is
2½ ft. broad up to the first-floor level, above this the
upper stage is reduced to about half the breadth. They
support square diagonal pinnacles with restored
crocketed finials. The west wall is unpierced but above
it is a plain square chimney-shaft with an open-side
hood on top. Internally the walls are faced with
whitish-brown ashlar. The gabled roof is modern and
of two bays.
The nave (about 41½ ft. by 16½ ft.) has north and
south arcades of four bays. The easternmost bay on
each side, with the first pillar, is of the same detail and
date as the chancel arch. They vary in span, the north
being about 9 ft. and the south about 10 ft., and in
both cases the span is less than those of the older bays.
Those on the north side are of 11–12 ft. span and date
from the middle of the 12th century. The pillars are
circular, the west respond a half-circle, with scalloped
capitals, 6 in. high and square in the deep-browed
upper part and with a 4½ in. grooved and hollowchamfered abacus. The bases are chamfered and
stand on square sub-bases. The arches are pointed and
of one square order with a plain square hood-mould,
The voussoirs are small. The middle parts of the
soffits are plastered between the flush inner ends of the
voussoirs, suggesting a former inner order, abolished
perhaps in a rebuilding of the heads.
The same three bays of the south side are of 11 ft.
span and of late-12th-century date. The round pillars
are rather more slender than the northern, and the
capitals are taller, 12 in. high, with long and shallow
scallops, and have 4 in. abaci like the northern. The
bases are taller and moulded in forms approaching those
of the 13th century, on chamfered square sub-bases.
The pointed arches are of one chamfered order and
their hood-moulds are now flush with the plastered
The half-round west responds of both arcades have
been overlapped on the nave side by the east wall of the
High above the 14th-century south-east respond is
a 15th-century four-centred doorway to the former
rood-loft. The stair-vice leading up to it is entered by a
four-centred doorway in the east wall of the south aisle.
The north aisle (11½ ft. wide at the east end and
12½ ft. at the west) has an uncommon east window of
c. 1300. It is of three plain-pointed rather narrow
lights; above the middle light, which has a shorter
pointed head than the others, is a circle enclosing a
pierced five-pointed star, all in a two-centred head with
an external hood-mould having defaced head-stops, and
with a chamfered rear-arch.
Set fairly close together at the east end of the north
wall are two tall windows of c. 1340, each of two trefoiled round-headed lights and foiled leaf-tracery below a segmental-pointed head with an ogee apex, the
tracery coming well below the arch. The jambs are of
two orders, the outer sunk-chamfered. The lights are
wider and the splays of ashlar are more acute than those
of the east window.
The third window near the west end is narrower and
shorter and of two plain-pointed lights and an uncusped
spandrel in a two-centred head: it is of much the same
date as the east window. The jambs and head are of
two hollow-chamfered orders and the fairly obtuse
plastered splays have old angle-dressings. The segmental-pointed rear-arch is chamfered.
The north doorway, also of c. 1340, has jambs and
two-centred head without a hood-mould; the segmental rear-arch is of square section. In it is an 18th-century oak door.
The three-light window in the west wall has jambs
and splays like those of the north-west but its head has
been altered; it is now of three trefoiled ogee-headed
lights below a four-centred arch. The chamfered reararch is elliptical.
The walls are yellow ashlar with a chamfered plinth
and parapets with moulded string-courses and copings
that are continued over the east and west gables. Below
the sills of the two north-east windows is a plain stringcourse. At the east angle is a pair of shallow square
buttresses and a diagonal buttress at the west, all
ancient. White ashlar facing is exposed inside between
the two north-east windows only, the remainder being
plastered. The gabled roof of trussed-rafter type is
modern and covered with tiles.
The south aisle (13 ft. wide at the east end and 12 ft.
at the west) has an east window of three plain-pointed
lights, and three plain circles in plate tracery form, in a
two-centred head with an external hood-mould having
mask stops. The yellow stone jambs and head of two
chamfered orders and the wide ashlar splays are probably of the late 13th century; the grey stone mullions
and tracery are apparently old restorations but are probably reproductions of the original forms.
There are two south windows: the eastern is of two
wide cinquefoiled elliptical-headed lights under a
square main head with an external label with return
stops. The jambs are of two moulded orders, the inner
(and the mullion) with small roll-moulds, probably of
the 13th century re-used when the window was refashioned in the 15th century. The wide splays are of
rubble-work and there is a chamfered segmental reararch. The western is a narrower opening of two trefoiled-pointed lights, with the early form of soffit
cusping, and early-14th-century tracery in a twocentred head: the jambs are of two chamfered orders
and the wide splays are plastered, with ashlar dressings:
the chamfered rear-arch is segmental pointed.
The reset south doorway has jambs and pointed
head of two moulded orders with filleted rolls and undercut hollows of the early 13th century, divided by a
three-quarter hollow more typical of a later period, and
all are stopped on a single splayed base. The hoodmould has defaced shield-shaped head-stops. There
are four steps down into the church through this doorway.
The window in the west wall is like that in the east
but the three lights are trefoiled and the three circles
in the two-centred head are quatrefoiled: the head is all
restored work. The jambs are ancient and precisely
like those of the square-headed south window, and the
wide splays are of rubble-work.
The walls are of yellow fine-jointed ashlar and have
plinths of two splayed courses, the upper projecting
like that of the east chancel-wall, and plain parapets
with restored copings. At the angles are old and rather
shallow diagonal buttresses. There are three scratched
sundials on the south wall, one, a complete circle, being
on a west jambstone of the south-east window.
The gabled roof is modern like that of the north
The south porch is built of ashlar like that of the
aisle but the courses do not tally and it has a different
plinth, a plain hollow-chamfer. The gabled south wall
has a parapet with a restored coping. The pointed
entrance is of two orders, the inner ovolo-moulded, the
outer hollow-chamfered, and has a hood-mould of 13thcentury form. There are side benches. The roof is
modern but on the wall of the aisle are cemented lines
marking the position of an earlier high-pitched roof at
a lower level than the present one.
The north porch is of shallower projection. It has a
gabled front with diagonal buttresses and coped parapet
and a pointed entrance with jambs and head of two
chamfered orders, the inner hollow, and a hood-mould
The west tower (about 9½ ft. square) is of three
stages divided by projecting splayed string-courses: it
has a high plinth, with a moulded upper member and
chamfered lower course, and a plain parapet. The
walls are of yellow ashlar, that of the two upper stages
being of rather rougher facing and in smaller courses
than the lowest stage. At the west angles are diagonal
buttresses reaching to the top of the second stage. There
are no east buttresses but in the angle of the north wall
with the end of the nave is a shallow buttress against the
nave-wall. In the south-west angle, but not projecting,
is a stair-vice with a pointed doorway in a splay, and
lighted by a west loop. The archway to the nave has a
two-centred head of two chamfered orders, the inner
dying on the reveals, the outer mitring with the single
chamfered order of the responds. It has large voussoirs.
The wall on either side of the archway is of squared
The 14th-century west doorway has jambs and
pointed head of two wave-moulded orders divided by a
three-quarter hollow, and a hood-mould with return
stops. The head of the tall and narrow 14th-century
west window is carried up into the second stage, its
hood-mould springing from the string-course. It is of
two trefoiled ogee-headed lights and a quatrefoil in a
two-centred head: the jambs are of two chamfered
There are no piercings in the second stage, but on
the north side is a modern clock face.
The bell-chamber has 15th-century windows, each
of two lights with depressed trefoiled ogee heads and
uncusped tracery in which the mullion line is continued
up to the apex of the two-centred head. The jambs are
of two chamfered orders and there is no hood-mould.
The font is circular and dates probably from the
13th century. It has a plain tapering bowl, a short
stem with a comparatively large 13th-century moulding
at the top: a short base is also moulded.
In the vestry is an ancient iron-bound chest.
There are three bells, the first of 1811, the second of
1616, and the tenor of 1602 by Edward Newcombe.
The registers begin in 1636.
The church was valued at £8 6s. 8d.
in 1291, (fn. 48) and at £16 3s. 10d., in
addition to a pension of 13s. 4d. payable to Witham Priory, in 1535. (fn. 49) The advowson
passed with the manor until 1602, when the patron was
Richard Cooper. (fn. 50) In 1628 William Hall and Edward
Wotton, by concession of — Hill, the patron, presented Richard Wotton, (fn. 51) who at the time of his
wife's death in 1637 was 'rector and patron, of the
church'. (fn. 52) In 1681 and 1694 presentations were made
by Thomas Farrer, and from 1726 till his death in
1764 the patronage was held by his son Thomas
Farrer. (fn. 53) His widow Alice held it in 1766, (fn. 54) but by
1773 it had been divided between their two daughters,
Mary wife of John Adams, and Elizabeth Farrer
(1782) who afterwards married Hamlyn Harris. (fn. 55)
In 1802 Henry Bagshaw Harrison was patron and
rector. (fn. 56) He died in 1830, and by 1850 the advowson
had been acquired by Hulme's Trustees, (fn. 57) in whose
hands it has continued, so that they now present on
two out of three turns to the combined living of
Warmington and Shotteswell, which was annexed to
it in 1927.
Robert Gardner by will proved 30
April 1727 charged each of three several
pieces of land in the parish with an annual
payment of 2s. to be expended in bread and distributed
to the poor of the parish. It is known that these annuities were distributed according to the directions in the
will until the year 1892 and it is assumed that they have