Parishes
Long Itchington

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

L.F. Salzman (editor)

Year published

1951

Pages

125-132

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Parishes: Long Itchington', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 6: Knightlow hundred (1951), pp. 125-132. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=57112 Date accessed: 03 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LONG ITCHINGTON

Acreage: 4,869.

Population: 1911, 1,178; 1921, 1,227; 1931, 1,229.

Long Itchington is a large parish (fn. 1) and village, adjoining Southam on the north and west. The river Itchen follows a winding course from south to north across the parish. The village, typical of the 'roadside' as opposed to the 'squared' type though not perhaps unusually noticeable for its length, (fn. 2) is on its right (north) bank in the centre of the parish, west of the Southam-Coventry road, at its junction with the village street, where there is a circular pond surrounded by well-grown poplar trees in an open green skirted by houses. For the most part the houses are 18th- and 19th-century, built of red brick with tiled roofs, but here and there are half-timbered cottages with red brick infilling. A little west of the church is a rectangular late-16th-century timber-framed house with diagonal timbering and plaster, gabled projections at each end, and tiled roof; it has been extensively restored and divided into two cottages.

'Tudor House' is on the west side of the main road, with its north front to the road. The original building, dating from the late 16th century, was a long rectangular two-story one with a stone ground floor and a slightly projecting timber-framed upper story. In the 17th century a narrow timber-framed addition was made, extending the whole length of the house and finished with a series of five continuous gables. The south front is built of sandstone ashlar and is lighted by four two-light, square-headed windows with moulded mullions, jambs, and heads, two on either side of a central door. All that remains of the original doorway is a flat head with a keystone and traces of an architrave, the jambs being rebuilt in red brick. The upper floor is projected on its floor joists and is lighted by seven equally spaced three-light, square-headed windows. The north front is symmetrical, with vertical framing, a series of five gables with plain modern barge-boards, a chimney-stack towards each end, and a tiled roof. The gables project on shaped brackets and have twolight windows to the roof space in each. Directly below each gable there are four-light windows to both floors, except to the centre, where the window has been replaced by a modern door. The east and west gable ends have been practically rebuilt in red brick. The interior has been completely modernized, but in the addition there is a contemporary oak staircase with turned balusters, square newels with ball finials, and a moulded handrail.

The Warwick and Napton Canal, a branch of the Oxford Canal system, crosses the parish from east to west, and with the Weedon-Leamington branch of the old L.M.S. Railway (fn. 3) has helped the development of quarries and cement works which now occupy large areas in the east of the parish, and whose chimneys are prominent landmarks in the generally flat country of eastern Warwickshire. In spite of its large extent there is little variation in height in the parish from about 350 ft. at Long Itchington Wood in the west to about 230 ft. by the Itchen in its lower reaches. The boundaries do not seem to have changed since they were described in 1001, (fn. 4) though the only landmarks which have retained their names are the Itchen and Snowford (Bridge).

A windmill and a water-mill are mentioned in 1347 and 1353 (fn. 5) and a fishery in 1305. (fn. 6) In 1775 87 yardlands, or 2,000 acres, in Long Itchington and Bascote (a hamlet in the south-east part of the parish, formerly a separate manor) were inclosed by Act of Parliament; (fn. 7) 154 acres had been inclosed by Edward Odingsels, lord of the manor, and others in the early 16th century. (fn. 8)

St. Wulfstan, Bishop of Worcester, was born at Long Itchington in the early years of the 11th century. (fn. 9)

Manors

Ethelred 'The Unready' in 1001 gave 25 mansos in [LONG] ITCHINGTON to his thegn Clofig. (fn. 10) In 1086 the manor was in possession of Cristina, sister of Edgar Atheling, who had received it from William the Conqueror; the name of the immediate pre-Conquest tenant is not recorded in Domesday Book. It was assessed at 24 hides and contained two mills and woodland 2 furlongs in length and one in breadth; (fn. 11) it had fluctuated widely in value, having been worth £12 in 1066, £36 when given to Cristina, and £20 in 1086. Cristina retired to the nunnery of Romsey (Hants), (fn. 12) and her lands came into possession of the Limesis. Their chief seat was at Ulverley or Wolverley in Solihull, but it is probable that Long Itchington, as one of the most extensive and valuable manors in Warwickshire, represented one of the 2 knight's fees held by Gerard de Limesi or his son John in the later 12th century. (fn. 13) The latter died before 1195, when Hugh Bardolf had custody of his lands. (fn. 14) John's son Hugh dying without issue, (fn. 15) the Limesi property was divided between his aunts Basile, wife of Hugh de Odingsels, and Eleanor, wife of David de Lindsey, a moiety of Long Itchington falling to the former. The division was formally ratified in 1213 when Hugh de Odingselsand Basile obtained livery of their half of the Limesi estates for a payment of 500 marks over 3 years, for which their sons Hugh and William stood surety. (fn. 16) The elder Hugh took part in the siege of Bytham castle (Lincs.) in 1221, and was authorized to levy scutage on his military tenants therefor; (fn. 17) he held lands in Itchington for a knight's fee, and for a fifth and for a twentieth of a fee, in 1235–6. (fn. 18) His son Gerard succeeded him four years later, (fn. 19) and in 1241–2 was excused attendance on the king in Gascony for a payment of £50, which he was entitled to obtain from his tenants by scutage. (fn. 20) He died, probably in 1265, when his son Hugh was under age, the wardship of his heir and lands being placed with Edmund Crouchback. (fn. 21) Hugh did homage and had livery of his lands in 1267. (fn. 22) In 1292 he purchased from John de Pynkeny the moiety of the manor (except £12 of land quitclaimed by John to Robert de Pynkeny in 1285 (fn. 23) and 6 virgates which Thomas de Boltesham had for 6 years), which John had inherited through his greatgrandmother Alice, daughter of Eleanor the Lindsey heiress. (fn. 24) John de Pynkeny was later hanged for a felony, and in 1294 there was a dispute between Robert de Pynkeny and Hugh de Odingsels, the latter being in possession of the manor when it was taken into the king's hands owing to the felony. (fn. 25) It was confirmed to Hugh, at that time about to proceed to Gascony in the king's service, and he died seised of it in 1305 when it included pleas of court, a windmill, and a fishery, and was held of the king in chief. (fn. 26) His son John was concerned in the execution of Piers Gaveston, for which he received the king's pardon in 1313, (fn. 27) and at his death in 1336 the assessment of the manor, which he held jointly with his wife Emma, (fn. 28) was said to be a third of a knight's fee. (fn. 29) Emma survived her husband ten years; (fn. 30) their son, another John, died in Gascony in 1352 at the age of 40, when the manor was stated to contain a 'little park of 28 acres with deer', and a water-as well as a windmill, and was rated as a complete knight's fee. (fn. 31) Two years later it was committed to John's son (John III), though he was still under age, together with the manor of Pirton (Herts.), for 80 marks yearly; (fn. 32) he also paid 200 marks for licence to marry at will. (fn. 33) John proved his age in 1357, (fn. 34) and in the following year he narrowly escaped forfeiture of his lands for being concerned in breaking into and robbing the house of William de Shareshull at Barton Eode (Oxon.). (fn. 35) His lands and goods were, in fact, seized into the king's hands, an extent of Long Itchington manor showing 200 acres of arable, of which 90 acres were sown (pointing to a two-field economy); the windmill was worth 10s., but the water-mill was in ruins; tenants' rents amounted to £25. (fn. 36) 'But after this he became of good credit', (fn. 37) and was a commissioner of array for Warwickshire in 1377 and 1380, (fn. 38) and justice of the peace in 1379. (fn. 39) He died in 1380, (fn. 40) and his son John (IV) in 1403; (fn. 41) in each case while the heir was still a minor. Mary, wife of John Dodyngselles IV, possessed the manor in dower after her husband's death and held court leet and court baron. (fn. 42) Edward son of John IV proved his age and had livery of his lands in 1415. (fn. 43) In 1418 he was a knight and commissioner of array, (fn. 44) and justice of the peace in 1422, 1424, and 1427. (fn. 45) In 1437 he received pardon for not appearing before the justices (he was not on the 1433 or subsequent commissions) regarding a debt of 40s. owed to Thomas Burgh of Lynn. (fn. 46) The manor continued to descend from father to son, but succeeding generations were less distinguished, though Edward Dodyngselles, the previous Edward's grandson, was justice of the peace from 1502 to 1509. (fn. 47) His son Edmund died in possession of the manor in 1523, when another son Humphrey had an annuity out of the property. (fn. 48) Edmund's eldest son, another Edmund, settled the manor on himself and his wife Anne in 1533; at his death in 1558 his son John, the last Odingsels owner of the manor, was 30. (fn. 49) He 'betaking himself to extravagant courses . . . dyed in a miserable condition . . . he became so poor that had not one Harewood, formerly his Tenant, taken him into his house out of pity, he had dyed in the street'. (fn. 50) When this happened is not recorded, but in 1566 he was vouchee and a party to a recovery of the manor with Richard Brookes and John Jeffreys, (fn. 51) the former having licence to alienate it the same year. (fn. 52) After a short period with Sir John Throckmorton (fn. 53) it came to Robert (Dudley), Earl of Leicester, in 1571–2. (fn. 54) He gave Queen Elizabeth a 'glorious entertainment' here on her way to Kenilworth in 1575, (fn. 55) and made a settlement of the manor and advowson of the church on Sir John Hubaud and others in 1580. (fn. 56) He bequeathed the manor after the death of his wife Lettice to his natural son Sir Robert Dudley. (fn. 57) The Countess of Leicester survived till 1634, (fn. 58) and was concerned in a recovery of the manor and manor-house with Sir Edward Blunt and others in 1612. (fn. 59) Meanwhile Sir Robert Dudley had failed to establish his legitimacy and gone abroad, (fn. 60) and the manor passed to Robert Sydney, Viscount L'Isle (from 1618 Earl of Leicester), his cousin, (fn. 61) who possessed it at his death in 1626. (fn. 62) Sir Robert Dudley's four daughters, Lady Alice Dudley, Lady Frances Kniveton, Lady Anne Holbourn, and Lady Katherine Leveson, claimed possession under their grandfather's will, and after a long Chancery suit were successful, the two latter with Sir Richard Leveson, Lady Katherine's husband, being vouchees in a recovery of 1656. (fn. 63) After this the manor is found divided into quarter parts, of which Lady Anne Holbourn took three, having purchased Lady Alice's share for £1,000 and taking also Lady Frances's share (she having died without issue) as it was Lady Anne who financed the lawsuit. (fn. 64) Lady Anne and Lady Katherine both died without issue, the former in 1663, (fn. 65) after which her three shares were sold by decree in Chancery to Richard Newdigate (later 1st baronet), whose son Sir Richard sold them about 1719 to Thomas Grey, 2nd Earl of Stamford. Henry, Lord Grey, cousin of the latter, succeeded him and was lord in 1730 (fn. 66) and 1737. (fn. 67) Francis Page appears as lord of the manor between 1752 and 1774; and William Grove in 1789 and his son Edward in 1795 were lords of the moiety of the manor called Newfields Farm. (fn. 68) Between 1824 and 1861 the Earls of Aylesford were recorded as lords of three-quarters of the manor (fn. 69) and the estate has descended in that family. The remaining quarter had come into possession of the Lords Leigh of Stoneleigh by 1716, (fn. 70) and the family has continued to hold a quarter of the manor.


Odingsels. Argent a fesse and in chief two molets gules.

In 1235–6, besides Hugh de Odingsels' three holdings, Long Itchington contained property held of him by Robert de Colingham, rated at half a knight's fee, William de Say and Nicholas le Bretun (a quarter of a fee each), also the land of Kedi rated at a twentieth of a fee. (fn. 71) A Ralph de Colingham had held land in Long Itchington in 1199 (fn. 72) and 1221, (fn. 73) when he called upon David de Lindsey (a minor in ward to the king) to warrant his right to 12 virgates, (fn. 74) but there is no further documentary evidence of this holding, or of those of William de Say or of Kedi. The Breton family, however, was for a long time associated with Long Itchington, particularly the hamlet, sometimes described as a manor, of BASCOTE, of which the overlordship was apparently still held by Edward Doddyngselles at his death in 1466. (fn. 75) In 1195 Robert Brito and Maud his wife, with Nicholas and Juliana, paid 5 marks for the recognition of 17s. worth of land in Sale and Bascote. (fn. 76) During the reign of John, Nicholas Breton was confirmed in possession of 8 yardlands in Bascote and Long Itchington by David de Lindsey, descendant of Eleanor one of the Limesi heiresses, for a quarter of a knight's fee. (fn. 77) In 1313 Guy son of Peter le Bretun granted some of his possessions, including a mill, in Bascote, Long Itchington and elsewhere, and the reversion of lands held in dower by Simon de Mancetter and Mary his wife (presumably widow of Guy's father) to Peter de Lymesy and Alice his wife, (fn. 77a) and in the following year made a settlement of others on himself, his wife Joan, and Maud widow of Thomas de Grey. (fn. 78) In 1352–3 Thomas, Guy's son, also made a settlement of his estates, including those in Bascote and Itchington; (fn. 79) shortly before his death (c. 1360) he made over his estates to William Breton in trust for his son, to prevent the latter becoming the ward of the king, who had the custody of the Odingsels heir at the time. (fn. 80) After 1332, when Peter de Limesy granted part of his estate in Bascote to William Gaipin and Alice his wife, (fn. 81) the Limesy portion of Bascote followed the descent of the manor of Arley (q.v.) till 1402, when Sir Ralph Rochford granted the manor of Bascote to Thomas Seyvill, (fn. 82) who held it of Sir John Dodyngselles in 1404 (fn. 83) and was in possession in 1415. (fn. 84) His trustees conveyed it (c. 1420) to Thomas Molesley, (fn. 85) who in 1441 placed it in trust for the benefit of the town of Walsall, and died in 1451 (fn. 86) John Lyle, son of William Lyle one of the original trustees, tried to appropriate the property to his own use, but suffered a recovery in 1514 in favour of fresh trustees, Richard Hurst and John Forde. (fn. 87) Part of the proceeds of the estate were devoted to the celebration of mass for the souls of Thomas Molesley and his wife Margaret, so that it ranked as one of the chantries suppressed in 1546, when the value was £7 10s. 9d. (fn. 88) It remained in crown hands, though rented by Walsall for charitable purposes, till 1586, when it was granted at the petition of Sir James Croft, Comptroller of the Queen's Household, to new trustees, Francis Craddock and Michael Shawe. (fn. 89) In 1730 the manor produced about £100 annually for Walsall corporation, of which £22 or £23 was applied to charity. (fn. 90) The corporation disposed of the property in three lots by auction in 1918, the purchasers being Mr. W. C. Spencer, of Aston, Birmingham, Messrs. Kaye & Co. Ltd., of the Cement Works, Long Itchington, and Mrs. Louisa Alice Turner, of Bascote House, the manorial rights (then 14s. 6d. annual rents) going to the last named. (fn. 91)

In 1202 land in STONEYTHORPE, though not yet considered a separate manor, was held by military tenure; it was then settled between Thomas and Norman Sanson that 3 hides and I virgate, for which the former demanded a pound of cummin and the service of a quarter-fee while the latter acknowledged the pound of cummin only, should be rated at one pound of cummin and a fifth of a knight's fee. (fn. 92) In 1308 Robert Sampson and Margery his wife made a settlement of the manor of Stoneythorpe with Robert son of Robert le Shirreue of Southam, (fn. 93) and in 1311 they sold it to William de Bereford and Margaret his wife. (fn. 94) In another fine of the same year between these parties the manor is called that of THORPE SAMPSON. (fn. 95) Edmund de Bereford made a settlement of the manor in 1347; (fn. 96) at his death (1354) his second son John succeeded. (fn. 97) The manor was not held in chief, and in the inquisition following on John's death in 1356 was stated to be held of the Odingsels. (fn. 98) Eve, John's widow, was assigned dower from Stoneythorpe and other Bereford manors in the following year. (fn. 99) Sir Baldwin de Bereford, John's brother, to whom the manor ultimately passed by the settlement of 1347, conveyed it in 1388 to John Bray of Stretton-onDunsmore, Hugh Dalby and William Allesley, (fn. 1) and the next year the two former released their rights in the manor to Allesley. (fn. 2) The last-named granted it in 1393 to Thomas le Hore of Elmdon and Margaret his wife; (fn. 3) Thomas was descended from Joan, Edmund de Bereford's sister. (fn. 4) In 1403–4 William Hore, probably Thomas's son, (fn. 5) held the manor of Stoneythorpe of Sir John de Dodyngselles, (fn. 6) and in 1407 John Hore of Childerley (Cambs.) and Joan his wife, Sir Baldwin St. George and Sir Philip Seintcler (descended respectively from Agnes and Alice, Edmund de Bereford's other sisters) passed their rights in the manor to William, John Hore of Solihull, and John Hilton. (fn. 7) A life-tenancy in the manor had been granted by John Hulton, John Hore, Hugh Dalby, and others to Robert Wyllenhale and Juliana his wife in 1401. (fn. 8) The manor continued in possession of the Hore family till the death of John in 1506, when it was held of the Odingsels at a quarter of a knight's fee. (fn. 9) Elizabeth, one of his daughters, died in 1509 (before the inquisition on her father's estate), and Amy, the other daughter, in 1517, when the heir was her aunt Joan wife of Nicholas Hanslap, then aged 30. (fn. 10) The Hanslaps, a Northamptonshire family, held the manor in unbroken male line for over a hundred years; Thomas Hanslappe was dealing with it in 1565, (fn. 11) another Thomas with Elizabeth (Chaplin) his wife in 1592, (fn. 12) and a third Thomas with his wife Anne and John Hanslap his son in 1622. (fn. 13) At the death of Thomas III the manor, held of the Earl of Leicester, was in the several occupations of himself, Richard Wagstaff of Harbury, (fn. 14) Robert Hanslappe, and Robert Batt. (fn. 15) Further transactions took place between John Hanslap, the third Thomas's son, and others in 1626 and 1642, (fn. 16) and in 1655 he, his wife Ann and others conveyed the manor to Ambrose Holbeach of Mollington (Oxon.), a noted lawyer of the time. (fn. 17) The son of the latter, another Ambrose, with Sara (Harvey) his wife, sold the manor to John Chamberlayne, citizen of London in 1671, (fn. 18) from whom it passed to his brother Francis (1679). (fn. 19) Francis Chamberlayne, son of the previous Francis, was lord in 1730; (fn. 20) he died without issue (fn. 21) but the manor remained with the family, Staynes Chamberlayne being vouchee in a recovery of 1820. (fn. 22) Stoneythorpe Hall is still the seat of this family, in whom any remaining manorial rights are presumably vested. The Hall itself, which was rebuilt in the 17th century, has been completely modernized.


Hore. Sable three cinquefoils argent pierced gules.


Hanslap. Argent two bars gules over all a cross crosslet fitchy azure.


Chamberlayne. Gules a scutcheon argent within an orle of molets or.

About the end of the 11th century Ralph de Limesi endowed his newly founded priory of Hertford with a carucate of land and two parts of his tithes in Long Itchington; his son Alan gave the church to the priory, and his grandson Gerard further land known as Grascroft. (fn. 23) The value of this property is not separately set out in the Valor, (fn. 24) but it was extensive enough to be reckoned as a manor and was granted in 1538 to Anthony Denny and Joan Champernowne his future wife. (fn. 25) Six years later, as a result of exchange of property, it passed to George Dacres. (fn. 26) In 1556 he and his wife Elizabeth conveyed lands and certain tithes from the demesnes of the manor in Bascote and Stoneythorpe to the then tenants, Thomas Bosworth (fn. 27) and William Fyrley (fn. 28) —the latter's holding apparently representing land formerly held by St. Mary's College, Warwick. (fn. 29) The remainder of his manor Dacres had leave to alienate to William Gent and William Fyrley. (fn. 30) Gent seems to have acquired Fyrley's rights, as in 1562 he settled the manor, held of the queen in chief, on his second son William in tail male, with contingent remainders to his eldest son Richard or his four daughters. (fn. 31) He died in 1564 (fn. 32) and in the followyear his son William Gent had licence to alienate the manor of Long Itchington called BOSWORTH'S FARM and certain tithes. (fn. 33) A similar licence was issued to him in 1567 to alienate to Thomas Fisher of London, draper, and Anthony Ludford. (fn. 34) After this no more is heard of this manor, except that a rent of £13 6s. 8d. from the manor of Bosworth's Farm and certain tithes, presumably the fee farm rent reserved to the Crown, was conveyed by Henry Roper and Joyce his wife (the eldest sister of William Gent) (fn. 35) to Robert Harolde, with warranty against the heirs of William Gent, in 1584, (fn. 36) and by Robert Knightley (fn. 37) and others to Robert Beale and John Powell in 1667. (fn. 38)

It was no doubt owing to the division of the Limesi property between the Lindseys and the Odingsels that the advowson of Long Itchington church became halved, one part being confirmed to Hertford Priory by Gerard de Lindsey in 1242 (fn. 39) and the other passing from William de Odingsels, who had it of the gift of David de Lindsey, Gerard's brother, to Gerard de Odingsels in 1258. (fn. 40) In 1320 the advowson with 4 acres of land was granted by John de Odyngseles to Hugh de Meryngton of Coventry (fn. 41) who seven years later held it in chief of the king by one thousandth part of a knight's fee. (fn. 42) His son John obtained licence in 1328 to alienate this land and the advowson to William de Clinton for charitable purposes, (fn. 43) and in the following year he was pardoned for acquiring further lands in Long Itchington in fee simple from Thomas de Bocton, tenant-in-chief, and entering without licence, being allowed to retain these lands. (fn. 44) The portion alienated to William de Clinton, with 8 messuages, 6 yardlands, and 20s. of rent, was used by him to form part of the endowment of his college of chantry priests at Maxstoke in 1332–3, (fn. 45) later converted into an Augustinian priory to which the church was licensed to be appropriated in 1336. (fn. 46) John (Deyville), the first prior, granted some of the Itchington land to Richard de Hastang and Margaret his wife in 1338, (fn. 47) and two years later brought an assize of novel disseisin against William Corbet and Emma his wife and Sir John de Odingsels for dispossession of a free tenement and acre of land in Long Itchington. The Corbets were ordered to pay £10 damages but Sir John de Odingsels was acquitted. (fn. 48) In 1344 William de Clinton, now Earl of Huntingdon, received pardon for making a further grant of 3 messuages and 4 virgates to Maxstoke Priory without licence. (fn. 49) Geoffrey, vicar of Fillongley, gave 5 acres in 1383. (fn. 50)

The value of the appropriated rectory in 1535 was £16 13s. 4d. and of other Maxstoke property in Long Itchington £7 4s. 9d.; (fn. 51) in 1538 they were granted to Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk, (fn. 52) who the same year sold them to Robert Trappes, a London goldsmith, who passed them to his son Nicholas. At Nicholas's death in 1544 they were reckoned as a manor held of the king in chief; (fn. 53) he left two infant daughters as coheiresses, of whom Mary, the younger, married Lord Giles Paulet, third son of the Marquess of Winchester. (fn. 54) The manor may have been resumed by Robert Trappes, who survived till 1560, (fn. 55) but the next documentary evidence is in 1579–80, when William Byrde received licence to alienate it. (fn. 56) Fines were levied between Byrde and the prospective grantees Robert and Philip Mastall (fn. 57) and Edward Byrde (fn. 58) in the same year. In 1615 this manor came into the possession of James Enyon, senior and junior, (fn. 59) who were dealing with it four years later. (fn. 60) The younger James died in 1632; his father had settled the manor on Hannibal and James Horsey of Hunningham (his son-in-law and grandson) but the agreed rent was not paid, so that the Enyons resumed possession. (fn. 61) In 1637 James (later Sir James) Enyon, son of the younger James mentioned above, and his wife Jane (Newton) passed their interest in the rectory manor to Sir William Browne, Henry Browne, and Thomas Browne. (fn. 62) Later it was in the hands of a branch of the Throckmorton family, Sir William Throckmorton and Elizabeth his wife dealing with it in 1665 (fn. 63) and Elizabeth, as a widow, and Sir Clement Fisher in 1693. (fn. 64) It seems later to have followed the descent of the manor of Grandborough (q.v.), being connected with that manor in fines of 1769 (fn. 65) and 1789. (fn. 66)

Thomas de Boltesham, probably the Thomas who held a 6-year tenancy of 6 virgates in Long Itchington in 1292, (fn. 67) died in 1305 in possession of 7 messuages and 7 virgates in villeinage, held of the king in chief by one tenth of a knight's fee, (fn. 68) and £10 in rents. (fn. 69) His grandson and heir, then aged 12, was the Thomas de Bocton from whom land was obtained by John de Merynton in 1329, (fn. 70) and it was presumably he who, as Thomas de Boltesham, sold other land here to Sir William de Clinton in 1333. (fn. 71)

Church

The church of the HOLY TRINITY is on the west side of the SouthamCoventry road, in a small churchyard at the western end of the village. It consists of a chancel, nave, south aisle, west tower, north porch, and a vestry. The oldest part of the building is the south aisle, dating from early in the 13th century; the chancel, nave, and tower were built early in the 14th century, a clearstory was added to the nave in the 15th century and at the same time the nave arcade was rebuilt; the porch and vestry are modern. The church was restored in 1928. It is built of small roughly coursed limestone rubble with occasional squared blocks of red sandstone and red sandstone dressings.

The chancel has a steep-pitched tiled roof, a plinth of one splay, and a moulded string-course at the sill level of the windows. On the east there is a large tracery window with a pointed arch of two splays, hood-mould, and five ogee-headed lights; the tracery and mullions are all modern. The south side is divided into three bays by buttresses with gabled heads, the centre bay having a pointed doorway with a hoodmould and head-stops, the arch mouldings being continued down the jambs. Each bay has a window with pointed arches of two splayed orders and three lights, the centre window has uncusped lights, the others cinquefoil. The north side is similar, but has a modern vestry built against it which encloses the door to the chancel; it is built of squared limestone with a steeppitched tiled roof, is lighted by pointed trefoil windows with hood-moulds, and has an entrance with a pointed arch on the west side.

The south aisle roof is of steep pitch with modern copings and finials to the gables and at each end wide modern buttresses have been added. In the east wall there is a 14th-century window of three lights, similar to those in the chancel, but of one splay. The south side retains the coved string-course, with one gargoyle of the earlier low-pitched roof below the present eaves gutter; there is a similar cove to the nave, which also had a low-pitched roof, both contemporary with the clearstory. There are three windows; that to the east is similar to the one in the east wall, but of two lights, the others are lancets having hood-moulds with head-stops. The south door is between the lancets and has a semicircular arch of two moulded orders, the inner continued to the ground and the outer supported on attached shafts with foliated capitals; no bases are visible. The west end has a lancet window and above is the line of the earlier low-pitched roof. The north wall of the nave has been strengthened by a modern buttress in two stages at the west end and is partly built over the original one. To the east is a window of three lights with a segmental-pointed arch of two orders, the inner moulded, the outer a splay, the mullions being carried up to the arch without heads; it has a hood-mould with return ends. West of the window there is a buttress which terminates at the level of the original wall-head. Between the buttress and the porch is a modern pointed window with two trefoil lights. The porch is modern, with a tiled roof and a pointed entrance of two moulded orders supported on detached shafts with floriated capitals and moulded bases. The doorway has a richly moulded pointed arch, hood-mould with head-stops, and the mouldings continued down the jambs to splayed stops. West of the porch there is a window similar to the one to the east but with a pointed arch and two hollowsplayed orders. The clearstory has three windows on the north and south, placed towards the centre of the nave, each of two ogee trefoil lights of two hollow splays, with square heads and hood-moulds with returned ends.


Plan Of Long Itchington Church

The tower, which is not divided into stages, has a plinth of one wide splay, diagonal buttresses on the west in four stages, terminating at the string-course of an embattled parapet with the bases of broken pinnacles at the angles, central gargoyles on each face, and crowned by the base of a destroyed octagonal spire. Both the buttresses to the east wall have had later buttresses added to their lower stages. The west face has a pointed tracery window of two splayed orders, the outer a deep one, two pointed trefoil lights, and a hood-mould with head-stops. Immediately above the apex of the window arch is a red sandstone band of sunk quatrefoils, which is carried round the north and east sides but omitted from the south, and a band of red sandstone at the sill level of the belfry windows. The belfry windows on all four faces have pointedsegmental arches, and two trefoil lights with transoms. The ringing-chamber has loop-lights on the north, west, and east, the one on the east now looking into the nave; on the north side there is a clock face.

The chancel (47 ft. 10 in. by 21 ft. 7 in.) has plastered walls, modern open king-post roof, and stone paving, with two steps to the altar. On the east wall there are stone brackets, one on each side of the window, one carved, the other a plain splay. The window has a moulded, segmental-pointed rear-arch, and hood-mould with head-stops. The altar table, which dates from early in the 17th century, has four massive turned and carved legs, carved framing, and table top with a gadroon edge; behind it is a modern stone reredos. The south wall has a beak-moulded string-course at sill level, and the doorway a segmental rear-arch; the three windows have chamfered pointed rear-arches and hood-moulds with head-stops, and splayed reveals. Near the east wall there is a double piscina and sedilia under one hood formed by the string-course carried down at each end and finished with head-stops. The piscina has pointed moulded trefoil heads supported on a mullion with moulded capital and base under a pointed arch pierced with a trefoil. The three sedilia seats have pointed cinquefoil heads, pierced spandrels, crocketed gables with floriated finials, trefoil panels and headstops, supported on moulded shafts having floriated capitals and moulded bases. On the north side the string-course is continued and the windows follow those on the south side. To the east there is an Easter sepulchre with a trefoil pointed arch, its mouldings continued down the jambs; crocketed gable, floriated finials, and head-stops. Springing from the head-stops are plain pilasters with crocketed pinnacles and floriated finials. The doorway, now leading to the vestry, has, for no obvious reason, been reversed; it has a moulded pointed arch, the mouldings dying out on plain splayed jambs, and a hood-mould with head-stops. Above the doorway there is a monument with columns supporting an entablature with a semicircular pediment containing a square incised brass to John Bosworth, died 1674. At the top in the centre is the figure of a man kneeling in prayer with the initials J. B., to the left a woman and the name Ellinor, to the right a woman with the name Isabel. Below is an inscription recording his bequest of lands to provide 12 twopenny loaves every Sunday for poor inhabitants, and £10 yearly for a schoolmaster to teach the sons and daughters of the poor. (fn. 72)

The nave (57 ft. by 22 ft. 7 in.) has a modern tiled floor and a modern hammer-beam roof supported on 15th-century carved head corbels. The walls are plastered, except those below the sill level of the clearstory windows above the arcade. The original arcade was of four bays and in the 15th-century rebuilding the west bay was blocked and the walls reduced in thickness, leaving a springer and part of an arch in position against the west wall. At the eastern end part of the thicker arcade wall is visible below the corbel of the later arcade. The present arcade has three bays of pointed arches of two splayed orders, the inner splay hollow, supported on octagonal pillars with moulded capitals and bases on square pedestals with chamfered corners, at the east end on a corbel with paterae in a hollow moulding resting on a carved head; at the west end on a respond of half a pillar. There are paterae on the outer splay just above the capitals and at the apex of the arches. The clearstory windows on both sides of the nave have chamfered segmental reararches over wide-splayed jambs and sills. On the north the windows and the doorway have segmentalpointed rear-arches. The tower arch is pointed, of two splayed orders, the inner dying out on the wall, the outer continued to the floor on the nave side, and on the tower side both die out on the walls. Above the arch is a loop-light to the ringing-chamber and the band of quatrefoils continued from outside, level with the apex of the arch. There is a wide pointed arch of three moulded orders to the chancel, supported on three half-round shafts with moulded capitals and bases standing on dwarf walls 4 ft. high; on the chancel side the outer order stops on grotesque beasts crouching on the capitals. On the south side of the arch there is a squint with a trefoil head. A carved and traceried oak screen of 15th-century date, with double doors, has been cut and made up with modern work to fit the arch. Its mullions have been replaced with slender turned balusters, probably in the 17th century. The pulpit, placed on the north side of the chancel arch, is a large modern one of stone and coloured marble; and the font, which stands at the west end of the nave, is also modern, with a plain octagonal basin on a coloured marble shaft with a moulded capital and base.

The south aisle (58 ft. 2 in. by 14 ft. 8 in.) has a modern open pitched roof, supported on earlier carved head corbels on the south wall and modern moulded corbels on the arcade. The window in the east wall has a semicircular rear-arch of one splay, hood-mould with head-stops, and wide-splayed reveals. The remaining windows have segmental-pointed arches over square jambs. At the east end of the south wall there is a piscina with a pointed trefoil head, the projecting quatrefoil basin and hood-mould have been cut away. In the south wall are two tomb recesses with pointed arches of two orders, the inner a trefoil of one splay supported on short shafts with moulded capitals and bases, the moulded outer order continues to the floor at the ends and the arches mitre in the centre.

The tower (9 ft. 4 in. by 9 ft. 4 in.) has a modern tiled floor. In the centre of the north and south walls, about 5 ft. above the floor, there are incised crosses, partly concealed by a matchboarded dado. The west window has a segmental-pointed rear-arch, splayed jambs and sill. The ringing-chamber and belfry floors are supported on continuous projecting splayed strings instead of the more usual corbels or offsets.

The plate consists of a silver flagon inscribed: 'Francis and Thermuthis Fauquier (fn. 73) of Stoneythorpe 1795', a silver chalice and cover 1587, and a paten 1761.

There are two bells by Hugh Watts, 1623 and 1636, and two others by Henry Bagley, 1649 and 1670. (fn. 74)

The registers of baptisms and burials begin in 1653, those of marriages in 1713. (fn. 75)

Advowson

The history of the advowson to 1336, when it was granted by William de Clinton to Maxstoke Priory, (fn. 76) has already been traced with the descent of the lands of that priory in Long Itchington. It seems to have been retained by Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk, to whom these lands were granted in the first instance, for the first post-Reformation presentation (1569) was made by his widow and her second husband, Richard Bertie. (fn. 77) Another presentation was made by the Crown the following year, (fn. 78) after which it descended with the main manor (q.v.) through the Earls of Leicester, Lady Anne Holbourne, and the Lords Leigh. Sir Roger Newdigate made three presentations in 1743, 1759, and 1783, (fn. 79) but early in the 19th century it was again being dealt with by representatives of the Leigh family. (fn. 80) The other half was held by the Newdigate family (fn. 81) until their share was acquired by William Adcock Ellis about 1895, when his son W. E. Ellis was presented to the living; (fn. 82) this share was held in 1915 by the executors of W. A. Ellis; (fn. 83) and in 1926 the patrons were Lord Leigh, the Bishop of Coventry, and the Rev. R. Ellis in turn. (fn. 84) Since 1935 the patronage has been with the Bishop of Coventry solely. (fn. 85)

The value of the church in 1291 was £22, (fn. 86) and in 1535 the rectory was worth £16 13s. 4d. and the vicarage £7 1s. 6d. in addition to 8s. for procurations and synodals. (fn. 87) An increase of £15 in the stipend of the minister was approved in 1657–8 by the Protector's Council. (fn. 88)

Charities

Richard Cleaver. Upon a benefaction table in the church at Long Itchington it is recorded that Richard Cleaver, who died on 6 January 1745, gave by his will to the minister, churchwardens, and overseers of the poor of this parish £20, the interest to be distributed (either in bread or money) on every St. Thomas's day to the poor of the parish.

Elizabeth Cleaver, who died in 1757, gave likewise by her will £20, the interest to be similarly distributed.

Ann George, who died in 1782, gave by her will £20, the interest to be distributed on St. Thomas's Day to the poor widows of this parish.

Joane Goode and John Goode. In the Returns under Gilbert's Act (26 Geo. III), it is stated that Joane Good and John Goode, at what period is not mentioned, gave for bread to the poor of this parish £40.

Mary Grimes, who died on 3 January 1826, gave £50, the interest to be distributed on Good Friday to poor parishioners.

Alice Pratt, who died on 24 July 1832, by her will gave £30, the interest to be paid in money on St. Thomas's Day yearly amongst 15 poor widows of this parish.

The annual income of the above-mentioned charities amounts to £4 6s. 2d.

John Bosworth, by will dated 16 October 1674, charged certain property with the annual payment of the sum of £5 4s. to be bestowed in bread to the poor inhabitants dwelling in the town of Long Itchington, so as there should be twelve twopenny loaves of wheaten bread placed on the communion table of Long Itchington every Sabbath day yearly, to be distributed after morning service to twelve of the poor inhabitants by the churchwardens and overseers of the poor. The rentcharge was redeemed in 1917 in consideration of a sum of £208 Consols, producing an annual income of £5 4s.

The Long Itchington Women's Blanket and Clothing Charity. By a Declaration of Trust dated 28 July 1888 a sum of £150 was settled upon trust, the income to be expended by the vicar and churchwardens of Long Itchington in the purchase of blankets and warm clothing to be distributed annually (upon St. Thomas's Day or as near thereto as conveniently might be) amongst poor deserving women residing in the parish, with a preference to those who should have given some proof of provident habits.

The annual income of the charity amounts to £3 15s. 4d.

Sarah Chamberlayne. In the result of proceedings a scheme for the application of the charitable annuities and the funds comprised in the residuary charitable gift contained in the will of Sarah Chamberlayne, dated 13 January 1858, was settled and approved by the Chancery Division of the High Court of Justice on 22 December 1894. By the scheme a body of trustees was appointed to administer the income, and it was provided that, subject to certain payments and events, the income be applied (a) in the payment to five poor widows or unmarried women not under the age of 50 years, or poor aged men or crippled, blind, or deaf and dumb males or females belonging to this parish, of the monthly sum of not exceeding £1 each; (b) in the payment to one of the said five poor women or other person, resident in the parish, the monthly sum of 15s. to lodge, board, and take care of one poor child who shall have lost both his parents, or who shall be blind, or crippled, or infirm, whether in body or mind, to be named by the trustees.

By a scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 3 November 1916 it was provided that the maximum sum payable as mentioned in (a) above be increased from £1 to £1 1s. 8d.; and by another scheme of the said Commissioners dated 12 April 1927 it was provided that if and so far as the trustees are unable to apply the sum of £9 as provided in (b) above, they may apply the same or any part thereof in such manner as they consider most advantageous for the benefit of any poor child or children possessing the required qualifications.

Footnotes

1 The largest in Knightlow Hundred except Stoneleigh and Kenilworth.
2 It is just under ¾ mile from east to west.
3 One of the latest lines to be constructed. Not shown on the 1889 O.S. 6-in. map. There is a station (Southam and Long Itchington) near the village.
4 Kemble, Codex Dipl. no. 705; PlaceNames of Warws. 133 n.
5 Cal. Inq. p.m. ix, 25; x, 57.
6 Ibid. iv, 318.
7 Slater, Engl. Peasantry and Encl. 303.
8 Leadam, Domesday of Incl. 445–7.
9 Dict. Nat. Biog.
10 Kemble, Codex Dipl. iii, 316 (no. 705).
11 V.C.H. Warw. i, 341.
12 Anglo-Saxon Chron. (Rolls Ser.), ii, 187. The date is given as 1086.
13 Red Bk. Exch. (Rolls Ser.), 30, 110, 126, 149, 702.
14 Ibid. 110, 126; Pipe R. 7 Ric. I (Pipe R. Soc.), 191.
15 Dugd. 343.
16 R. de Obl. et Fin. (Rec. Com.), 507.
17 Rot. Litt. Claus. (Rec. Com.), i, 475.
18 Book of Fees, 509.
19 Exc. e R. Fin. (Rec. Com.), i, 323.
20 Pipe R. 26 Hen. III (ed. Cannon). 188.
21 Cal. Pat. 1258–66, p. 527.
22 Exc. e R. Fin. (Rec. Com.), ii, 459.
23 Feet of F. (Dugd. Soc. xv), 1094; Cal. Close, 1279–88, p. 71.
24 Feet of F. (Dugd. Soc. xv), 1094; Dugd. 343.
25 Cal. Close, 1288–96, p. 356.
26 Cal. Inq. p.m. iv, 318; Cal. Fine R. i, 512.
27 Cal. Pat. 1313–17, p. 23.
28 Ibid. 1321–4, p. 1.
29 Cal. Inq. p.m. viii, 10.
30 Ibid. ix, p. 11; Cal. Fine R. vi, 42.
31 Cal. Inq. p.m. x, 57.
32 Cal. Fine R. vi, 389.
33 Ibid. vii, 74; Cal. Inq. Misc. iii, 313.
34 Cal. Close, 1354–60, p. 383; Cal. Inq. p.m. x, 390.
35 Cal. Pat. 1358–61, pp. 137–8.
36 Cal. Inq. Misc. iii, 318.
37 Dugd. 344.
38 Cal. Pat. 1374–7, p. 497; 1377–81, pp. 39, 473.
39 Ibid. 1377–81, p. 312.
40 Chan. Inq. p.m. 4 Ric. II, 18.
41 Ibid. 5 Hen. IV, 19.
42 Ibid. 6 Hen. IV, 18.
43 Cal. Close, 1413–19, p. 223.
44 Cal. Pat. 1416–22, p. 198.
45 Ibid. p. 461; 1422–9, p. 571.
46 Ibid. 1436–41, p. 12.
47 Ibid. 1494–1509, p. 663. His inquisitio post mortem has not been preserved and the date of his death is uncertain. The commission of 1510 (when he would have been 37) is the first in which his name does not appear.
48 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), xxxviii, 11.
49 Ibid. cxxiv, 208.
50 Dugd. 344.
51 Recov. R. Mich. 8 Eliz.
52 Pat. 8 Eliz. pt. 4.
53 Dugd. 344.
54 Pat. 14 Eliz. pt. 8.
55 Dugd. 345.
56 Feet of F. Div. Cos. Hil. 22 Eliz.
57 Dugd. 344.
58 G. E. C., Compl. Peerage (2nd ed.), vii, 552.
59 Recov. R. Trin. 10 Jas. I, ro. 17.
60 Dict. Nat. Biog.
61 G. E. C., Compl. Peerage (2nd ed.), vii, 553.
62 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), ccccli, 102.
63 Recov. R. Hil. 1656, ro. 97.
64 Dugd. 968. See also Baker, Northants. ii, 32.
65 Dict. Nat. Biog.
66 Dugd. 344.
67 Gamekeepers' Deputations, Shire Hall, Warwick.
68 Ibid.
69 Ibid. See also White, Directory Warw. (1850), p. 688, where Lord Guernsey (eldest son of the Earl of Aylesford) is given as lord.
70 Gamekeepers' Deputations.
71 Book of Fees, 509, 514.
72 Feet of F. (Dugd. Soc. xi), 68.
73 Pipe R. 5 Hen. III, m. 15.
74 R. of Justices in Eyre in . . . Warws. (Selden Soc.), 702.
75 Chan. Inq. p.m. 6 Edw. IV, 9.
76 Pipe R. 7 Ric. I (Pipe R. Soc.), 190.
77 Dugd. 347.
77 a Feet of F. (Dugd. Soc. xv), 1380; Cal. Close, 1323–7, p. 285; Cal. Inq. Misc. i, 2052; ii, 818.
78 Feet of F. (Dugd. Soc. xv), 1399. Maud was mother of Joan: Madox, Formulare, no. 729.
79 Hist. MSS. Comm. 10th Rep. pt. 6, p. 103 (Davenport MSS.).
80 Cal. Inq. Misc. iii, 839.
81 Sims, Cal. Walsall Deeds, no. 12.
82 Ibid. no. 24.
83 Chan. Inq. p.m. 5 Hen. IV, 19.
84 Sims, op. cit. no. 38.
85 Ibid. nos. 43, 44, 46, 80.
86 Ibid. nos. 51, 55.
87 Ibid. no. 86; Dugd. 347–8.
88 Dugd. 348.
89 Sims, op. cit. no. 130. Many other deeds relating to Bascote are preserved at Walsall.
90 Dugd. 348.
91 ex inf. Town Clerk, Walsall.
92 Feet of F. (Dugd. Soc. xi), 114. Possibly this was the one-fifth of a fee held by Hugh de Odingsels in 1235–6 (Book of Fees, 509).
93 Feet of F. (Dugd. Soc. xv), 1277.
94 Ibid. 1315.
95 Ibid. 1320.
96 Ibid. (xviii), 1975.
97 Cal. Inq. p.m. x, 250.
98 Ibid. 321.
99 Cal. Close, 1354–60, p. 346.
1 Feet of F. (Dugd. Soc. xviii), 2308; Cat. Anct. Deeds, i, 532 (C. 1474); iii. 324 (C. 3054).
2 Ibid. i, 432 (C. 473).
3 Ibid. iii, 324 (C. 3053).
4 Wrottesley, Pedigrees from Plea R. 241.
5 Described as 'of Elmdon' in the fine of 1407 (see below). He was William Allesley's son-in-law (Dugd. 348).
6 Chan. Inq. p.m. 5 Hen. IV, 19.
7 Feet of F. (Dugd. Soc. xviii), 2424.
8 Cat. Anct. Deeds, i, 435 (C. 497).
9 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), xxv, 12.
10 Ibid. xxxix, 78; Early Chan. Proc. 415, no. 24.
11 Feet of F. Warw. East. 7 Eliz.
12 Ibid. Mich. 34–5 Eliz.
13 Ibid. East. 20 Jas. I.
14 His brother-in-law: Visit. Warw. 1619 (Harleian Soc. xii), 257.
15 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), cccciii, 85.
16 Feet of F. Warw. Mich. 2 and Trin. 16 Chas. I.
17 Ibid. Warw. Mich. 1655; Recov. R. Mich. 1655, ro. 57, 179; Dugd. 530, 532.
18 Feet of F. Warw. East. 23 Chas. II.
19 Ibid. Trin. 31 Chas. II.
20 Dugd. 348.
21 Burke, Landed Gentry, ed. 1846, i, 203.
22 Recov. R. Trin. 1 Geo. IV, ro. 264.
23 Dugdale, Mon. Angl. iii, 300–1.
24 Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), i, 451.
25 L. and P. Hen. VIII, xiii (1), 384 (47).
26 Ibid. xix (1), 25, cap. xxiii.
27 A later Thomas Bosworth died in 1625 holding land in Long Itchington: Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), dccxxxv, 76.
28 Cal. Pat. 1555–7, p. 93.
29 Mon. Accts. (Dugd. Soc.), 94.
30 Cal. Pat. 1555–7, p. 95; Feet of F. Warw. Mich. 2 and 3 Ph. and Mary.
31 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), cxl, 192.
32 Ibid.
33 Pat. R. 7 Eliz. pt. 8, m. 41.
34 Ibid. 9 Eliz. pt. 4, m. 23.
35 Baker, Northants. i, 416.
36 Feet of F. Warw. East. 26 Eliz.
37 William Gent sold most of his property to Richard Knighdey: Baker, loc. cit.
38 Feet of F. Warw. Trin. 19 Chas. II.
39 Feet of F. (Dugd. Soc. xi), 602.
40 Ibid. 773. By this date the other half had apparently been surrendered by Hertford priory, and was also quitclaimed by William to Gerard de Odingsels.
41 Ibid. (xv), 1533; Cat. Anct. Deeds, ii, 282 (B. 2260).
42 Cal. Inq. p.m. vii, 66.
43 Cal. Pat. 1327–30, p. 313.
44 Ibid. p. 346.
45 Dugd. 345, quoting MSS. in Dewes library.
46 Cal. Pat. 1314–18, p. 318. Cf. Anct. Deeds (P.R.O.), D. 2017, 2575, 11256.
47 Cat. Anct. Deeds, ii. 282 (B. 2259).
48 Cal. Pat. 1338–40, pp. 524–5.
49 Ibid. 1343–5, p. 358.
50 Ibid. 1381–5, p. 279; Cat. Anct. Deeds, i, 318 (B. 1086); ii, 434 (B. 3730).
51 Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), iii, 73.
52 L. and P. Hen. VIII, xiii (2), 1182 (18 n).
53 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), cxl, 182.
54 Burke, Landed Gentry, ed. 1846, ii, 1424.
55 Ibid.
56 Pat. 22 Eliz. pts. 1, 12.
57 Feet of F. Warw. Trin. 22 Eliz.
58 Ibid. Div. Cos. Mich. 22–3 Eliz.
59 Ibid. Mich. 13 Jas. I.
60 Ibid. Warw. Trin. 17 Jas. I.
61 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), cccclxvi, 46.
62 Feet of F. Warw. Hil. 12 Chas. I.
63 Ibid. Trin. 17 Chas. I.
64 Ibid. Warw. Trin. 5 Wm. & Mary.
65 Ibid. Mich. 9 Geo. III.
66 Ibid. Mich. 29 Geo. III.
67 Feet of F. (Dugd. Soc. xv), 1094.
68 Cal. Inq. p.m. iv, 298.
69 Ibid. v, 340.
70 See note 44 above.
71 Anct. Deeds (P.R.O.), B. 10372, 10921.
72 The inscription is recorded in full in Dugd. 346. For the school see V. C. H. Warw. ii, 370.
73 Thermuthis daughter of Stanes Chamberlayne married her cousin Francis Fauqier in 1787: Burke, Landed Gentry (1846).
74 Tilley and Walters, Church Bells of Warws.
75 Birm. Arch. Soc. Trans. xix, 99.
76 Cal. Pat. 1334–8, p. 318.
77 Dugd. 346.
78 Ibid.
79 Inst. Bks. (P.R.O.).
80 Feet of F. Warw. Mich. 47 Geo. III; Recov. R. Mich. 53 Geo. III, ro. 51.
81 Clergy Lists.
82 Kelly, Directory of Warws. (1900); Venn, Alumni Cant. pt. 2.
83 Crockford.
84 Ibid.
85 Ibid.
86 Tax. Eccl. (Rec. Com.), 242.
87 Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), iii, 73, 63.
88 Cal. S.P. Dom. 1657–8, p. 242.