III. 119. Letter from Thomas Fowler and Henry Spiller,
Justices of the Peace for Middlesex, to the Lord Mayor, acknowledging the receipt of his letter on behalf of William Shewell, a
Chandler, presented before them for a noisome melting-house in
Turnmill Street, with the enclosed Petition, in which it is suggested
that they had referred him to melt in London. The Petitioner had
misinformed his Lordship, but, in obedience to his request, they
would stay proceedings against him till Midsummer next.
Hickes Hall, (fn. 1) 17th December, 1613.
||Built at his own charge by Sir Baptist Hicks, in St. John Street (upon ground given
by the King), for the better carrying on of the magisterial duties for Middlesex. It was
finished January 13th, 1612, and called Hick's Hall, after its founder. Annexed to the
building was a Round House and pillory. From here the miles were measured, northwards.
The present Sessions House was built on Clerkenwell Green in 1782, and Hicks's Hall pulled
down. The Jacobian chimney-piece from the old Hall was removed to the present building.