Streets, walls and ditches

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

W. H. and H. C. Overall (editors)

Year published

1878

Supporting documents

Pages

480-483

Citation Show another format:

'Streets, walls and ditches', Analytical index to the series of records known as the Remembrancia: 1579-1664 (1878), pp. 480-483. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=59984 Date accessed: 24 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Streets, Walls, and Ditches.

II. 290. Letter from the Lord Mayor to the Lords of the Council, acknowledging the receipt of their letter concerning the decay of the ways in Golding Lane and Pickthatch, and other parts of the suburbs, in the parish of St. Giles without Cripplegate. He had called before him the chief inhabitants of the parish within the City, who denied their liability to contribute to the mending of the same.
10th June, 1607.

II. 68. Letter from the Lord Mayor to the Lord Chamberlain with reference to the imprisonment of one Savage, one of the Lord Mayor's officers, for committing to prison by his direction the servant of a gentleman dwelling at the Wardrobe, for the neglect of his master to repair the pavements in front of his house, the master having been spared on account of his age. The course taken was necessary for the maintenance and good government of the City, and according to custom.
(Circa 1612.)

The marginal note says that Savage was afterwards enlarged by His Majesty's directions, upon a Petition exhibited to His Majesty at Oatlands, delivered by Mr. Alderman Prescoat, Mr. Alderman Bennett, Junior, (fn. 1) and William Dyos, Esquire, Remembrancer of the City. The Petition is inserted in the margin. After reciting the circumstances of the case, it states that the proceedings taken were merely from duty, and in performance of His Majesty's commands.

III. 90. Letter from John (King), Lord Bishop of London, to the Lord Mayor and Court of Aldermen, requesting them, having enlarged the south side of Holborn Bridge, (fn. 2) to perfect their work, by adding as much to the way on the north side.
22nd March, 1612.

V. 77. Letter from William Lord Beauchamp (fn. 3) to the Lord Mayor and Court of Aldermen with respect to the repair of the City's wall adjoining his house and garden in Blackfriars (in margin "over against Bridewell"), which was in so great ruin that, if not speedily taken in hand, it could not be restored before winter. He was advised by counsel that he could not contribute thereto without prejudice to himself and poterity, but he pledged his honour, so tender a care had he for the City's right, that if anything were justly proved, he would not be unready to give due satisfaction.
Netley, 22nd July, 1620.

V. 100. Letter from the Lords of the Council to the Lord Mayor and Court of Aldermen, complaining of the impassable state of the streets of the City. Though the frost had continued nearly three weeks, no steps had been taken for the removal of the ice and snow, and they required immediate order to be given for remedy of the inconvenience. It was their intention, upon any further neglect, to address themselves to the Aldermen of the several wards where such abuses and inconvenience should be found, and call them to a strict account for the same. They also thought it strange that provisions in the City should be at such excessive and insufferable rates, whilst cattle in the county bore no price, and the graziers complained that when brought to London they were hardly put off at any rate. They therefore required that better care should be taken of the markets, that the stores and provisions of fishmongers against Lent should be looked to, and certificate made to them, as had been usual.
7th February, 1620.

V. 101. Letter from the Lord Mayor to the Lords of the Council in reply. Before the receipt of their letters, warrants had been sent to all the wards for the cleansing of the streets, and he did not doubt that they would receive all satisfaction in that particular. As to the high price of victuals, upon an examination before the Court of Aldermen they did not find the prices of beef and mutton so great as in former years, but, in conformity with the Council's commands, they would endeavour to make abatement. With respect to the stores of fish, a certificate had been required from the Fishmongers, before the receipt of the Council's letters, and the same was enclosed. Besides which the Lord Mayor had sent to several parts beyond seas, advising their repair hither with fish, and promising them free sale within the port, all which would however be of little avail unless it pleased God to open the rivers and give free passage to them. He therefore renewed his former request for authority to issue further licences for butchers.
(Circa 1620.)

VI. 156. Letter from the Lords of the Council to the Lord Mayor. The King had noticed that the ways in and about the City and Liberties were very noisome and troublesome for passing, in consequence of breaches of the pavements and excessive quantities of filth lying in the streets. They required him, by the King's express command, to take effectual steps for the complete repair of the pavements and the removal of all filth, the fruits of which His Majesty expected to see on his return from Portsmouth.
Whitehall, 20th July, 1628.

VI. 157. Further Letter from the Lords of the Council to the Lord Mayor thereon, referring to their previous communication; reminding him of the near approach of the King's return, and requiring him to certify the steps taken to enable them to give the King the account he expected.
Whitehall, 21st September, 1628.

VII. 120. Order of the Council, reciting that they had been informed by some of the Aldermen of the City, who had that day attended, of the great annoyance occasioned by the Moor-ditch, for remedy whereof they desired to arch it over, keeping the current open, and directing the Commissioners of Sewers for the City, and Inigo Jones, Esq., (fn. 4) Surveyor of His Majesty's Works, upon view and inquiry made to agree upon some remedy, and certify the same to the Board.
11th June, 1634.

VII. 123. Letter from the King to the Lord Mayor, recommending a proposition of one Daniel Nis, for the beautifying and better accommodation of the streets of the City by raising them to a convenient height, evenness, and decency, leaving ample passage for coaches, carts, and horses, and reserving a competent part to be made even and easy in a far more elegant and commodious manner for the convenience of foot-passengers, besides a handsome accommodation of water for the continual cleansing of the streets by lead pipes.
24th July, 1634.

VII. 138. Report of the Commissioners of Sewers and Inigo Jones, Esq., on the reference to them as to the state of the Moor-ditch, and recommending the construction of a vaulted sewer of 4 feet in breadth at bottom, and 6 feet at least in height, from the Moor-ditch to the Minories, and so to the Thames, and that upon the completion of the sewer the Moor-ditch should be filled up with earth, and kept without buildings thereon.
Dated in margin, 2nd February, 1634.

VII. 139. Order in Council, reciting the foregoing Report, and authorizing the plan to be carried into execution, and further requiring the Lord Mayor and Court of Aldermen to take especial care that no building was at any time permitted to be erected on the Moorditch.
6th February, 1634.

VIII. 139. Same as No. 123, Vol. VII.
24th July, 1634.

VIII. 151. Same as No. 139, Vol. VII.
6th February, 1634.

VIII. 158. Copy of No. 151.

Footnotes

1 Said to have been a nephew of Alderman Sir Thomas Bennet. See note 1, page 208.
2 Stow says:—"Oldborne Bridge, over the said river of Wells (or Fleet River), was so called of the Bourne that sometimes ran down Oldborne Hill into the said River." This bridge was of stone, like Fleet Bridge, "faire coaped on either side with iron pikes." It had been repaired at the charge of John Wells, Lord Mayor in 1431. After the Fire of 1666 the carriage-way was found insufficient, and in the Building Act, 22 Charles II., c. 11, s. 7, 1670, provision was made to widen it; this was done in the Mayoralty of Sir William Hooker, 1674, whose name was discovered upon removing one of the arches in 1841.
3 Sir William Seymour, Knight, second son of Edward Seymour, Lord Beauchamp, eldest son of Edward Seymour, Earl of Hertford. He engaged the affections of Lady Arabella Stuart, daughter of Charles Stuart, fifth Earl of Lennox, and uncle of James I. Their attachment being discovered in 1609, they were called before the Council and reprimanded; shortly afterwards they were secretly married, which being discovered in 1610, he was committed to the Tower, and his lady to the custody of Sir Thomas Parry at Lambeth, and afterwards of Sir James Croft. They escaped June 3rd, 1611; but the lady was overtaken and brought back to die in the Tower, September 27th, 1615. Seymour was pardoned and restored to favour in 1616. On the death of his grandfather in 1621 he became Earl of Hertford and Baron Beauchamp. He married secondly, March 3rd, 1617, Frances, daughter of Robert Devereux, second Earl of Essex, Elizabeth's favourite. Made Marquis of Hertford June 3rd, 1640, and chosen governor of the Prince of Wales. He declared for Charles I. Elected Chancellor of the University of Oxford, October 24th, 1643. Upon the accession of Charles II. he was made K.G., May 27th, 1660, the attaint upon his ancestor, Edward, Duke of Somerset, was reversed, he was restored to the dukedom September 13th, and died October 24th in the same year. See Collins's 'Peerage,' edition 1812, Vol. I., page 174.
4 The famous architect, appointed one of the Commissioners for the Repairing of St. Paul's Cathedral, November 16th, 1610. Began the reparation, 1633.


<--Previous:
Sugar