Faringdon Ward. Infra or within
Faringdon ward within.; Faringdon extra, and Faringdon infra, all one ward, and then diuided into twain, by parliament. Faringdon ward took that name of W. Farindon.
On the south side of Aldersgate warde lyeth Faringdon
ward, called infra or within, for a difference from an other
ward of that name, which lyeth without the wals of the citie,
and is therfore called Farindon extra. These two wardes
of old time were but one, and had also but one Alderman,
til the 17. of Richard the 2, at which time the said ward for
the greatnes therof, was diuided into twain, & by Parliament ordered to haue 2. Aldermen, & so it continueth til
this day. The whole great ward of Farindon, both infra and
extra, tooke name of W. Farendon, Goldsmith, Alderman of
that ward, and one of the shiriffes of London: in the yeare
1281. the 9. of Ed. the first, he purchased the Aldermanry of
this ward, as by the abstract of deedes which I haue read
thereof may appeare.
Sir Raph Arderne knight, Alderman of that ward now called Farindon, in the raign of H. the third. Anketinus de Auerne, Alderman. Ralph le Feure, Alderman.; Iohn le Feure, Alderman. W. Faringdon, Alderman and one of the shiriffes of London.; Nicholas Farendon, Alderman & mayor.; Nicholas Farendon liued 53 years after he had been once Mayor.
Thomas de Arde<r>ne, sonne and heyre to Sir Ralph Arderne
knight, granted to Ralph le Feure Cittizen of London, one of
the shiriffes in the yeare 1277. all the Aldermanry with the
appurtenances within the Cittie of London, and the suburbs
of the same between Ludgate and Newgate, and also without
the same gates: which Aldermanry, Anketinus de Auerne
held during his life, by the graunt of the said Thomas de Arderna,
to haue and to hold to the said Ralph and to his heyres, freely
without all chalenge, yeelding therefore yearly to the said
Thomas and his heyres, one cloue or slip of Gilliflowers, at
the feast of Easter, for all secular seruice and customes, with
warranty vnto the said Ralph le Feure, and his heyres, against
all people Christians and Jewes, in consideration of twenty
marks, which the said Ralph le Feure did giue before hand,
in name of a Gersum or fine, to the said Thomas, &c. dated
the fift of Edward the first, witnes G. de Rokesley maior,
R. Arras one of the shiriffes, H. Wales, P. le Taylor, T. de
Basing, I. Horne, N. Blackthorn, Aldermen of London. After
this Iohn le Feure, son and heire to the saide Raph le Feure,
granted to William Farendon, Cittizen and Goldsmith of
London, & to his heires the said Aldermanry, with the
appurtenances for the seruice thervnto belonging, in the
seuenth of Edward the first, in the yeare of Christ, 1279.
This Aldermanry descended to Nicholas Farendon son to the
said William and to his heyres, which Nicholas Farendon, also a
Goldsmith, was soure times Mayor, & liued many yeares after:
for I haue read diuers deedes wherevnto he was a witnes dated
the yeare 1360. He made his Testament, 1361. which was
53. yeares after his first being Mayor, and was buried in
S. Peters church in Cheape. So this ward continued vnder
the gouernment of William Faringdon the father, and Nicholas
his son, by the space of 82. yeares, and retaineth their name
vntil this present day.
This ward of Faringdon within the walles, is bounded thus:
Beginning in the East, at the great Crosse in west Cheape,
from whence it runneth West. On the north side from the
parish church of S. Peter, which is at the Southwest corner
of Wood street, vnto Guthuruns lane, and down that lane, to
Hugon lane on the East side, and to Kery lane on the west.
Then again into Cheape, and to Foster lane, and down that
Lane on the east side, to the north side of saint Fausters
church, and on the West, till ouer against the Southwest corner
of the saide Church, from whence downe Fauster lane, and
Noble street, is all of Aldersgate streete ward, till yee come
to the stone wall, in the West side of Noble streete, as is afore
shewed. Which sayde Wall downe to Neuils Inne, or Windsor
house, and downe Monkes well streete, on that west side, then
by London wall to Criplegate, and the west side of that same
gate, is all of Faringdon Ward.
Then backe againe into Cheape, and from Fauster Lane
end, to S. Martins lane end, and from thence through saint
Nicholas shambles, by Penticost Lane, and Butchers alley, and
by stinking lane through Newgate market to Newgate. All
which is the North side of Faringdon warde.
On the south from against the saide great Crosse in Cheape
West to Fridayes streete, and downe that streete on the East
side, till ouer against the North East corner of saint Mathewes
Church: and on the west side, till the south corner of the
Then againe along Cheape to the old Exchange, and downe
that lane (on the East side) to the parrish church of Saint
Augustine, which church and one house next adioyning in
Watheling streete bee of this warde, and on the west side of
this lane, to the east arch or gate by saint Augustines church,
which entereth the south churchyeard of saint Paules, which
arch or gate was builded by Nicholas Faringdon about the
yere 1361. & within that gate on the said north side, to the
gate that entereth the North churchyeard, and all the North
Churchyearde, is of this Faringdon Warde.
Then againe into Cheape, and from the North end of the
olde Exchaunge, West by the North gate of Powles churchyearde, vp Pater Noster Row, by the two lanes out of Powles
church, and to a signe of the Goldyng Lyon, which is some
twelue houses short of Aue Mary lane: the west side of which
Lane is of this Warde.
Then at the south end of Aue Mary lane, is Creede Lane,
the west side whereof is also of this ward.
Now betwixt the south ende of Aue Mary Lane, and the
north end of Creede lane, is the comming out of Paules churchyard on the East, and the high streete called Bowier row to
Ludgate, on the west, which way to Ludgate is of this ward.
On the North side whereof is saint Martins Church. And on
the South side a turning into the Blacke Friers.
Now to turne vp againe to the North ende of Aue Mary
lane, there is a short lane which runneth West some small
distaunce, and is there closed vp with a gate into a great
house: and this is called Amen lane.
Then on the north side of Pater noster Row, beginning at
the Conduit ouer against the olde Exchaunge Lane ende, and
going west by saint Michaels Church. At the west end of
which Church is a small passage through towardes the North.
And beyond this Church some small distance, is another
passage, which is called Paniar Alley, and commeth out
against Saint Martins lane ende.
Then further west in Pater Noster Row, is Iuie lane, which
runneth North to the West end of Saint Nicholas Shambles.
And then west Pater noster Rowe, till ouer against the golden
Lion, where the ward endeth for that streete.
Then about some dozen houses (which is of Bainards Castell
Warde) to Warwicke lane end: which Warwicke Lane stretcheth north to the high street of Newgate Market. And the
west side of Warwicke lane is of this Faringdon ward. For
the East side of Warwicke lane, of Aue Marie lane, and of
Creede lane, with the West end of Pater Noster Row, are all
of Baynardes Castell warde.
Bladder Street.; Mountgodard streete.
Yet to begin againe at the saide Conduit by the old
Exchange, on the North side thereof is a large street that
runneth vp to Newgate, as is aforesaid. The first part or
south side whereof, from the Conduit to the Shambles, is
called Bladder street. Then on the backeside of the shambles
be diuers slaughter houses and such like, pertaining to the
shambles, & this is called Mount Godard street. Then is
the Shambles it selfe. And then Newgate Market. And so
the whole street on both sides vp to Newgate, is of this warde,
and thus it is wholly bounded.
Monuments in this warde be these. First the great Crosse
in West Cheape streete, but in the warde of Faringdon, the
which Crosse was first erected in that place by Edward the
first, as before is shewed in west Cheape streate.
Parish church of S. Peter in Chepe.
At the Southwest corner of Woodstreet, is the parish church
of S. Peter the Apostle, by the said Crosse, a proper Church
lately new builded. Iohn Sha, Goldsmith, Maior, deceased
1503. appointed by his Testament, the said church and steeple
to be newly builded of his goods, with a flat roofe. Notwithstanding Tho. Wood, Goldsmith, one of the Shiriffes, 1491. is
accounted principall benefactor: because the roofe of the
midle Ile is supported by Images of Woodmen. I find to
haue beene buried in this Church, Nicholas Farendon, Maior,
Richard Hadley, Grocer, 1592. Iohn Palmer, fishmonger, 1500.
William Rus, Goldsmith, Shiriffe 1429. T. Atkins, Esquire,
1400. Iohn Butler, Shiriffe, 1420. Henrie Warley, Alderman,
1524. Sir Iohn Monday, Goldsmith, Maior, deceased 1537.
Augustine Hinde Clothworker, one of the Shiriffes in the yeare
1550 (whose monument doth yet remaine, the others be gone)
sir Alexander Auenon, Maior, 1570.
Long shop or shead by the Crosse in Cheape.
The long shoppe or shed incroching on the high street
before this Church wall, was licenced to be made in the yeare
1401, yeelding to the Chamber of London 30. shillings foure
pence yearely for the time, but since 13 shillings foure pence.
Also the same shop was letten by the Parish for three pound
at the most many yeres since.
Guthurons lane.; Imbrotherers hall.; Hugon lane. Kery lane.
Then is Guthuruns lane, so called of Guthurun somtime
owner thereof: the inhabitants of this lane of old time were
Goldbeaters, as doth appeare by records in the Exchequer.
For the Easterling money was appoynted to be made of fine
siluer, such as men made into foyle, and was commonly called
siluer, of Guthuruns lane, &c. The Imbroderers hall is in this
lane. Iohn Throwstone Embroderer, then Goldsmith, shiriffe,
deceased 1519. gaue 40. pound towards the purchase of this
hall. Hugon lane on the East side, and Kery lane (called of
one Kery) on the West.
Sadlers hall. Fauster lane. Parish church of S. Fauster.
Then in the high streete on the same north side is the
Sadlers hall. And then Fauster lane (so called of Saint
Fausters, a fayre Church, lately new builded). Henrie Coote,
Goldsmith, one of the Shiriffes, deceased 1509. builded saint
Dunstons chappell there, Iohn Throwstone one of the shiriffes,
gaue to the building thereof one hundred pound by his Testament. Iohn Browne Sergeant Painter, Alderman, deceased
1532. was a great benefactor, and was there buried. William
Trist, Selerar to the king, 1425. Iohn Standelfe Goldsmiths,
lie buried there. Richard Galder, 1544. Agnes wife to William
Milborne Chamberlane of London, 1500. &c.
Barons of London, their seale.; Seale.; Monkeswell streete.; Barbar Chirurgians hall.
Then downe Fauster lane, and Noble streete both of
Ealdersgate street ward, till ye come to the stone wall which
incloseth a Garden plot before the wal of the City, on the west
side of Noble streete, and is of this Faringdon ward. This
Garden plot contayning 95. Elles in length, 9. Elles and a halfe
in bredth, was by Adam de Burie, Maior, the Aldermen, and
Citizens of London letten to Iohn de Neuell, Lord of Raby,
Radulph and Thomas his sonnes for 60. yeares, paying 6. s. 8. d.
the yeare: Dated the 48. of Edward the third, hauing in a
seale pendant, on the one side, the figure of a walled Cittie,
and of S. Paul, a sword in his right hand, and in the left
a banner, 3. Leopards, about that Seale, on the same side
written, Sigillum Baronum Londoniarum. On the other side
the like figure of a Citie, a Bishop sitting on an Arch, the
inscription, Me: que: te: peperi: ne: Cesses: Thoma: tueri:
Thus much for the Barons of London, their common seale at
that time. At the north end of this garden plot, is one great
house builded of stone and timber, now called the Lord
Windsors house, of old time belonging to the Neuels, as in
the 19. of Richard the 2. it was found by inquisition of a Iurie,
that Elizabeth Neuel died, seased of a great Messuage in the
Parish of saint Olaue in Monks well street in London, holden
of the king in free burgage, which she held of the gift of Iohn
Neuell of Raby, her husband, and that Iohn Latimer was next
sonne and heyre to the said Elizabeth. In this west side is
the Barbars Chirurgions hall. This companie was incorporated
by meanes of Thomas Morestede Esquire, one of the shiriffes
of London, 1436. Chirurgion to the Kinges of England, Henrie
the 4. 5. and 6. He deceased 1450. Then Iaques Fries
Phisition to Edward the 4. and William Hobbs Phisition and
Chirurgion for the same kings bodie, continuing the sute the
full time of 20 yeares. Ed. the 4. in the 2. of his raigne, and
Richard duke of Glocester became founders of the same
corporation in the name (fn. 1) of S. Cosme and Damiane. The
first Assemb <ly> of that craft, was Roger Strippe, W. Hobbs,
T. Goddard, & Richard Kent, since the which time they
builded their hall in that street, &c.
Hermitage of S. Iames in the Wall.
At the north corner of this streete, on the same side, was
some time an Hermitage, or Chappell of saint Iames, called
in the wal, neare Crepplegate: it belonged to the Abbey and
Couent of Garadon, as appeareth by a Recorde, the 27. of
Edward the first: And also the 16. of Edward the third,
William de Lions was Hermet there, and the Abbot and
Couen<t> of Geredon found two Chaplaines, Cestercian Monks
of their house: in this Hermitage one of them, for Aymor de
Valence Earle of Pembrooke, and Mary de Saint Paule, his
Of these Monkes, and of a Well pertaining to them, the
street tooke that name, and is called Monks-well streete.
This Hermitage with the appurtenances, was in the raign of
Edward the sixt purchased from the said king, by William
Lambe one of the Gentlemen of the kinges Chappell, Citizen
and clothworker of London: he deceased in the yeare 1577.
and then gaue it to the Cloathworkers of London, with other
tenements, to the value of fiftie pound the yeare, to the intent
they shall hire a Minister to say diuine seruice there, &c.
Againe to the high streete of Cheape, from Fauster lane
ende to S. Martins, and by that lane to the shambles of flesh
market, on the North side whereof is Penticost lane, containing
diuerse slaughter houses for the Butchers.
Parish church of S. Nicholas.
Then was there of old time a proper parish church of saint
Nicholas, wherof the said flesh market tooke the name, &
was called S. Nicholas shambles. This Church with the tenements and ornaments, was by Henrie the eight giuen to the
Maior and communaltie of the Citie, towards the maintenance
of the new parish Church, then to be erected in the late dissolued
church of the Gray Friers: so was this church dissolued and
pulled downe. In place wherof, & of the churchyard, many
fayre houses are now builded in a Court with a Wel, in the
middest whereof the church stoode.
Stinking lane or Chick lane. Gray Friers Church.
Then is stinking lane, so called, or Chicke lane at the East
end of the Gray Friers church, and there is the Butchers hall.
In the third of Richard the second, motion was made that
no Butcher should kil no flesh within London, but at Knightsbridge, or such like distance of place from the wals of the citie.
Then the late dissolued Church of the Gray Friers: the
originall whereof was this.
The first of this order of Friers in England, nine in number,
arriued at Douer: fiue of them remained at Canterburie, the
other 4. came to London, were lodged at the preaching Friers
in Oldborne, for the space of 15 dayes, and then they hyred
an house in Cornhill of Iohn Trauars, one of the shiriffes of
London. They builded there litle cels wherein they inhabited,
but shortly after the deuotion of citizens towardes them, and
the number of the Fryers so increased, that they were by the
Citizens remoued to a place in S. Nicholas shambles: which
Iohn Ewin Mercer appropriated vnto the Comminaltie, to the
vse of the said Friers, and himselfe became a lay brother
amongst them: about the yeare 1225. William Ioyner
builded their Quire, Henry Walles the body of the church,
Walter Potter Alderman the Chapter house, Gregorie Rokesley
their Dorter, Bartholomew of the Castle made the refectorie,
Peter de Heliland made the infirmitorie, Beuis Bond king of
Heraulds made the studie, &c.
New church of the Gray Friers.; Library of the Gray Friers.
Margaret Queene, second wife to Edward the first, began
the quire of their new church, in the yere 1306. to the building
whereof, in her life time she gaue 2,000. markes, and 100.
marks by her testament. Iohn Britaine, Earle of Richmond,
builded the bodie of the church to the charges of three hundred
pound, and gaue many rich Iewels and Ornaments to be vsed
in the same. Marie Countesse of Pembroke, seuentie pound.
Gilbert de Clare, Earle of Glocester, bestowed 20. great beams
out of his forrest of Tunbridge, and 20. pound starlings, Lady
Helianor le Spencer, Lady Elizabeth de Burgh, sister to Gilbert
de Clare, gaue sums of money, and so did diuers Citizens, as
Arnald de Tolinea, 100. pounde, Robert Baron Lisle, who
became a fryer there, 300. pound, Bartholomew de Almaine
fiftie pound. Also Philippe Queene, wife to Edward the
third, gave 62. pound. Isabell Queene, mother to Edwarde the
thirde, gaue threescore and ten pound. And so the worke
was done within the space of 21. yeares, 1337. This Church
thus furnished with windowes made at the charges of diuerse
persons, the Ladie Margaret Segraue, Countesse of Norffolke
bare the charges of making the stalles in the Quire, to the
value of three hundred and fiftie markes, about the yeare 1380.
Richard Whittington in the yeare 1429. founded the Librarie,
which was in length, one hundred twentie nine foote, and in
breadth thirtie one: all seeled with Wainscot, hauing twentie
eight desks, and eight double setles of Wainscot. Which in the
next yeare following was altogither finished in building, and
within three yeares after, furnished with Bookes, to the charges
of fiue hundred fiftie sixe pound, ten shillings, whereof Richard
Whittington bare foure hundred pound, the rest was borne by
Doctor Thomas Winchelsey, a Frier there: and for the writing
out of D. Nicholas de Lira his works in two volumes, to be
chained there, one hundred markes, &c. The seeling of the
Quire at diuers mens charges, two hundred marks, and the
painting at fiftie markes: their Conduit head and water course
giuen them by William Tailer, Tayler to Henrie the third, &c.
Length and bredth of Gray Friers Church.
This whole church containeth in length three hundred foote,
of the feete of S. Paule: in breadth, eightie nine foot, and
in height from the ground to the roofe, 64. foote, and two
inches, &c. It was consecrated 1325. and at the generall
suppression, was valued at thirtie two pound, ninteene shillings,
surrendred the twelfth of Nouember, 1538. the 30. of Henrie
the eight, the ornaments and goods being taken to the kings
vse: the church was shut vp for a time, and vsed as a Store
house of goods, taken prises from the French: but in the
yeare 1546. on the third of Januarie, was againe set open.
On the which day preached at Pauls crosse the Bishop of
Rochester, where he declared the kings gift thereof to the
citie, for the releeuing of the poore.
Gray Friers Church made a parrish Church.
Which gift was by Pattents (fn. 2) <of> S. Bartholomewes Spittle in
Smithfield, lately valued at three hundred fiue pound sixe
shillings seuen pence, and surrendred to the king: of the
sayd church of the Gray Friers, and of two parish churches,
the one of Saint Nicholas in the Shambles, and the other of
S.Ewines in Newgate market, which were to be made one
Parrish church in the sayd Fryers church, & in lands he
gaue for maintenance for the said church, with diuine seruice,
reparations, &c. 500. markes by yere for euer.
The Maior &c comunalty of London Parsons of Christ Church; the Vicar to be at their appointment.
The thirteenth of January, the 38. of Henry the eight, an
agreement was made betwixt the King and the Mayor and
communalty of London: dated the 27. of December: by
which the said gift of the gray Fryers church, with al the
Edifices & ground, the Fratrie, the Library, the Dortar, &
Chapter-house, the great Cloystry and the lesser: tenements,
gardens, and vacant grounds, Lead, Stone, Iron, &c., the
Hospitall of S. Bartholomew in west smithfield, the church of
the same, the lead, belles, & ornaments of the same Hospital,
with al the Messuages, tenements, & appurtenances, the
parishes of S. Nicholas, and of S. Ewin, and so much of S.
Pulchers parish as is within Newgate, were made one Parish
church in the Gray Fryers church, and called Christes church
founded by Henry the 8.
The Vickar of Christs church was to haue 26. pound, 13. s.
4. d. the yeare. The Vicar of S. Bartholomew 13. pound 6. s.
8. d. The Visiter of Newgate (being a Priest) ten pound.
And other 5. Priests in Christs church, all to be helping in
diuine seruice, ministring the Sacraments, and Sacramentals, the
5. Priests to haue 8 pound the peece. Two Clarkes, 6. pound
each. A Sexton 4. pound. Moreouer, he gaue them the
Hospitall of Bethelem: with the lauer of Brasse in the cloyster,
by esteemation 18. foote in length, and two foote and a halfe
in depth, and the water course of lead to the sayd Fryer house
belonging, contayning by esteemation in length 18. Acres.
In the yeare 1552. began the reparing of the Gray Fryers
house, for the poore fatherlesse children. And in the month of
Nouember, the children were taken into the same to the number of almost foure hundreth. On Christmas day in the
afternoone, while the Lord Mayor and Aldermen rode to
Powles, and children of Christs Hospitall stood, from saint
Lawrence lane end in Cheape, towards Powles, all in one liuery
of russet cotten, 340. in number. And at Easter next, they
were in blew at the spittle, and so haue continued euer since.
Monuments in Christs Church.; Foure Queens buried in this church.
The defaced Monuments in this church were these. First
in the Quire, of the Lady Margaret, daughter to Phillip King
of France, and wife to Edward the first, foundresse of this new
church, 1317. Of Isabel Queene, wife to Edward the second,
daughter to Phillip King of France, 1358. Iohan of the Tower,
Queene of Scots, wife to Dauid Bruse, daughter to Edward
the second, dyed in Hartford Castle, and was buried by Isabel
her mother, 1362. William Fitzwaren, Baron, and Isabelhis
wife, sometime queene of Man. Isabel daughter to Edward
the third, wedded to the Lord Coucy (fn. 3) of France, after created
Earle of Bedford. Elianor wife to John Duke of Britaine.
Beatrix Dutchesse of Britaine, daughter to Henry the third.
Sir Robert Lisle Baron, the Lady Lisle, and Margaret de
Riuers, Countesse of Deuon, all vnder one stone. Roger
Mortimer Earle of March, beheaded 1329. Patar Bishop of
Carbon in Hungary, 1331. Gregory Rocksley Mayor, 1282.
Sir Iohn Deuerux knight. 1385. Iohn Hastings, Earle of
Pembrooke, 1389. Margaret daughter to Thomas Brotharton,
Earle Marshall, she was Dutchesse of Norfolke, and Countesse
Marshall and Lady Segraue, 1389. Richard Hauering knight,
1388. Robert Trisilian knight, <Chief> Iustice, 1388. Geffrey
Lucy, sonne to Geffrey Lucy. Iohn Aubry, sonne to Iohn Mayor
of Norwich, 1368. Iohn Philpot knight, Mayor of London, and
the Lady Iane Samford his wife, 1384. Iohn Duke of Burbon
and Angue, Earle of Claremond, Mounpouncier, and Baron
Beaugeu, who was taken prisoner at Agencourt, kept prisoner
18 yeares, & deceased 1433. Robert Chalons knight, 1439.
Iohn Chalons. Margaret daughter to sir Iohn Philpot, first
maried to T. Santlor Esquire, and after to Iohn Neyband
Esquier. Sir Nicholas Brembar Mayor of London, buried
1386. Elizabeth Neuel wife to Iohn, sonne and heyre to Raph
Earle of Westmerland, and mother to Raph Earle of Westmerland, and daughter to Thomas Holland Earle of Kent, 1423.
Edward Burnell sonne to the Lord Burnel. In Alhallowes
chappell. Iames Fines Lord Say. 1450. and Helenor his wife
1452. Iohn Smith Bishop of Landafe, 1478. Iohn Baron
Hilton: Iohn Baron Clinton. Richard Hastings knight, Lord
of Willowby and Welles, Thomas Burdet Esquier beheaded,
1477. Robert Lile sonne and heyre to the Lord Lisle. In
our Lady chappel, Iohn Gisors of London knight. Humfrey
Stafford Esquier, of Worstershire 1486. Robert Bartram
Baron of Bothell. Raph Barons, knight. William Apleton
knight. Reynold de Cambrey knight. Thomas Bewmond, sonne
and heyre to Henry Lord Bewmond. Iohn Butler knight.
Adam de Howton knight, 1417. Bartholomew Caster knight,
of London. Reinfride Arundele knight, 1460. Thomas Couil
Esquier, 1422. In the Postles chappell, Walter Blunt knight
of the Garter, and Lord Mountioy, Treasurer of Normandy, 1474.
E. Blunt Lord Mountioy, 1475. Alice Blunt, <Lady>Mountioy,
sometime wife to Wil. Brown Mayor of London and daughter
to H. Kebel Maior 1521. Anne Blunt daughter to I. Blunt
knight, L. Mountioy, 1480. Sir Allen Cheinie knight, and sir
T. Greene knight. William Blunt Esquier, sonne and heyre
to Walter Blunt Captayne of Gwynes 1492. Elizabeth Blunt
wife to Robert Curson knight, 1494. Bartholomew Burwashe,
and Iohn Burwashe his sonne. Iohn Blunt Lord Mountioy,
Captayne of Gwins and Hams 1485. Iohn Dinham Baron,
sometime Treasurer of England, knight of the Garter 1501.
Elianor Dutchesse of Buckingham 1530. Iohn Blunt knight
1531. Rowl. Blunt Esquier, 1509. Robert Bradbury 1489.
Nicholas Clifton knight. Francis Chape. Two sonnes of Allayne
Lord Cheiney, and Iohn sonne and heyre to the same. Lord
Allaine Cheiney knight. Iohn Robsart knight of the Garter
1450. Alleyne Cheinie knight. Thomas Malory knight, 1470.
Thomas Yong a Iustice of the Bench, 1476. Iohn Baldwin
fellowe of Grayes Inne, and common Sergeant of London, 1469.
Walter Wrotsley knight, of Warwickshire, 1473. Steuen Ienins
Mayor 1523. Thomas a Par, and Iohn Wiltwater, slaine at
Barnet, 1471. Nicholas Poynes Esquier, 1512. Robert Elkentou
knight, 1460. Iohn Water (alias yorke) Herault 1520. Iohn
More (alias Nory) King of Armes 1491. George Hopton knight,
1489. Between the quire and the Altar, Raph Spiganel knight,
Iohn Moyle Gent. of Grayes Inne, 1495. William Huddy knight,
1501. Io. Cobham a Baron of Kent,Io. Mortain, Knight, Io.
Deyncort knight, Io. Norbery Esquier, high Treasurer of
England, Hen. Norbery his sonne Esquier, Io. Southlee Knight,
Tho. Sakuile, Tho. Lucy knight, 1525. Robert de la Riuar,
sonne to Mauricius de la Riuar Lord of Tormerton, 1457.
Io. Malmaynas Esquier, and Tho. Malmaynas knight, Hugh
ActonTaylor, 1530. Nicholas Malmains, Hugh Parsal knight
1490. Alexander Kirketon knight,&c. In the body of the
church, William Paulet Esquier of Summersetshire 1482. Iohn
Moyle Gent. 1530. Peter Champion Esquier 1511. Io. Hart
gentleman, 1449. Alice La. Hungerford, hanged at Tiborne
for murdering her husband, 1523. Edward Hall gent. of
Grayes Inne, 1470. Ri. Churchyard gent. fellow of Grayes
Inne, 1498. Iohn Bramre gent. of Grayes Inne 1498. Io.
Mortimar knight, beheaded 1423. Henry Frowike Alderman.
Renauld Frowike, Philip Pats, 1518. Wil. Porter Sergeant
at armes 1515. Tho. Grantham Gentleman, 1511. Edmond
Rotheley gentleman, 1470. Henry Roston gentleman, of Grayes
Inne, 1485. Nicholas Mongomery gentleman, sonne to Io.
Mongomery of Northhamptonshire, 1485. Sir Bartho. Emfield
knight, sir Barnard S. Peter knight, sir Raph Sandwich knight,
Custos of London: sir Andrew Sakeuile knight, Iohn Treszawall gentleman and Taylor of London, 1520. All these and
fiue times so many more haue bin buried there, whose
Monuments are wholly defaced: for there were 9. Tombes of
Alablaster and Marble, inuironed with strikes of Iron in the
Quire, and one Tombe in the body of the Church, also coped
with iron, all pulled downe, besides seuen-score graue stones
of Marble, all sold for 50. pounds, or thereaboutes, by sir
Martin Bowes, Goldsmith and Alderman of London. Of late
time buried there, Walter Hadden, Doctor, &c. From this
Church West to Newgate, is of this Warde.
Parish church of S. Matthew in Friday street.
Now for the South side of this warde, beginning againe at
the crosse in Cheape, from thence to Fryday streete, and downe
that streete, on the West side, till ouer against the Northwest
corner of saint Matthewes Church. And on the West side, to
the South corner of the sayd Church, which is wholly in the
Warde of Faringdon. This church hath these few Monuments.
Thomas Pole Goldsmith, 1395. Robert Iohnson Goldsmith,
Alderman. Iohn Twiselton Goldsmith, Alderman, 1525.
Raph Allen Grocer, one of the Shiriffes, deceased 1546.
Anthony Gamage Ironmonger, one of the Shiriffes, deceased
1579. Anthony Cage.Iohn Mabbe Chamberlaine of London,
&c. Allen at Condit and Thomas Warlingworth founded
a chauntrie there. Sir Nicholas Twiford Goldsmith, Mayor,
gaue to that church an house with the appurtenances, called
the Griffon on the hope, in the same streete.
From this Fryday street, west to the old Exchange,
a streete so called of the Kings Exchange there kept, which
was for the receit of Bullion, to be coyned. ForHenry the 3.
in the 6. yeare of his raigne, wrote to the Scabines and men
of Ipre, that he and his counsell had giuen prohibition, that
none, Englishmen or other, should make chaunge of plate or
other masse of siluer, but onely in his exchaunge at London,
or at Canterbury. Andrew Bukerell then had to Farme the
Exchaunge of England, and was Mayor of London in the
raigne of Henry the third. Iohn Somercote had the keeping
of the Kings Exchaunge ouer all England. In the eight of
Edward the first, Gregory Rockesly was keeper of the sayd
Exchaunge for the King. In the first of Ed. the second
William Hausted was keeper thereof. And in the 18. Roger
de Frowicke, &c.
These receiued the old stamps, or coyning irons, from time
to time, as the same were worne, and deliuered new to all
the Mints in England, as more at large in another place
I haue noted.
This street beginneth by west Cheape in the North, and
runneth downe South to Knight-Riderstreet, that part thereof which is called Old Fishstreet: but the very housing and
Office of the Exchaunge and Coynage, was about the midst
thereof, South from the East gate that entreth Powles churchyard, and on the west side in Baynards Castle Warde.
On the East side of this lane, betwixt West cheape, and
the church of S. Augustine, Henry Walles, Mayor (by license
of Ed. the first) builded one row of houses, the profits rising
of them to bee imployed on London Bridge.
parish church of S. Augustine.
The parish church of S. Augustine, and one house next
adioyning in Watheling street, is of this Warde called Faringdon. This is a fayre church, and lately well repaired, wherein
be monuments remaining of H. Reade Armorer, one of ye
Sheriffes, 1450, Robert Bellesdon haberdasher, Mayor, 1491.
Sir —Townley, William Dere one of the Shiriffes, 1450.
Robert Rauen haberdasher 1500. Thomas Apleyard Gentle
man, 1515. William Moncaster Merchant Taylor, 1524.
William Holte Merchant Taylor, 1544 &c.
Cathedrall Church of S. Paule.
Then is the North churchyard of Powles, in the which
standeth the Cathedrall church, first founded by Ethelbart
King of Kent, about the yeare of Christ, 610. He gaue
thereto lands as appeareth.
Aedelbertus Rex, Deo inspirante, pro animce sumæce remedio,
dedit episcopo melito terram quae appellatur Tillingeham ad
monasterii sui solatium scilicet (fn. 4) , S. Pauli: et ego Rex Aethelbertus ita firmiter concedo tibi presuli melito potestatem eius
habendi & possidendi vt in perpetuum in monasterii vtilitate
permaneat, &c. Athelstan, Edgare, Ed. the Confessor, and
others also gaue lands therevnto. Wil. Conqueror gaue to
the church of S. Paule and to Mauricius then Bishop, and
his successors, the Castle of Stortford, with the appurtenances,
&c. He also confirmed the gifts of his predecessors, in these
words: Rex. Angl. Clamo quietas in perpetuum, 24.Hidas
quas Rex Aethelbert dedit S. Paulo iuxta murum London. &c.
The Charter of King. Wil. the Conqueror, exemplified in the
Tower, englished thus.
William by the grace of God, King of Englishmen, to all
his welbeloued French and English people, greeting. Know
ye, that I do giue vnto God & the church of S. Paule of
London, & to the rectors & seruitors of the same, in all their
lands which the church hath, or shall haue, within borough &
without, sack and sock, Thole & The
<m>, Infangthefe & Grithbriche, & all freeships by sea, & by land, on tide, and off tide,
and all the rights that into them christendome byrad & more
speake, & on buright hamed, & on buright worke, afore all the
Bishopricks in mine land: and on each other mans land. For
I will that the church in all things be as free as I would my
soule to be in the day of indgement: witnesses Osmound our
Chancellor, Lanfrank the Archbishop of Canterbury, & T.
Archbishop of York, Roger Earle of Shrewesbury, Alane the
county, Geffrey de Magna villa, and Raph Peuerel.
Saint Paules church brent.; Foundation of the new Church of S. Paule builded.; stone brought from Cane in Normandy.
In the yeare 1087. this church of S. Paule was brent with
fire, & therewith the most part of the citie: which fire began
at the entry of the west gate, and consumed the east gate.
Mauricius then Bishop, began there fore the foundation of a
new church of saintPaule, a work that men of that time
iudged, would neuer haue bin finished, it was to them so
wonderfull for length & breadth, & also the same was builded
vpon arches (or vaults) of stone, for defence of fier, which was
a maner of worke before that time vnknowne to the people of
this nation, and then brought in by the French: & the stone
was fetcht from Cane in Normandy.
Wall about S. Paule church yard.
This Mauricius deceased in the yeare 1107.Richard
Beamor (fn. 5) succeeded him in the Bishopricke, who did wonderfully increase the said church, purchasing of his owne cost
the large streetes and lanes about it, wherin were wont to
dwel many lay people, which ground he began to compasse
about, with a strong wall of stone, & gates. King H. the
first gaue to the said Richard, so much of the Mote (or wall)
of the castle, on the Thames side to the South, as should be
needfull to make the said wall of the church, & so much as
should suffise to make a wal without the way on the north
The common bell in Paules churchyard rung, for the calling togither of the Citizens to their folkemontes.
It should seeme that this Richard inclosed but two sides of
the said church or Cemitory of S.Paule, to wit, the South
and North side: for KingEdward the second, in the tenth
of his raigne, granted that the said churchyard should be
inclosed with a wall where it wanted, for the murthers and
robberies that were there committed. But the cittizens then
claimed the East part of the church yarde to be the place of
assembly to their folkemotes, and that the great steeple there
scituate was to that vse, their common bell, which being there
rung, al the inhabitants of the citie might heare and come
together. They also claimed the west side, that they
might there assemble themselues together, with the Lord of
Baynards Castle, for view of their armour in defence of
the cittie. This matter was in the Tower of London referred to Haruius de Stanton, and his fellow Iustices Itenerantes, but I finde not the decision or judgement of that
True it is, that Edward the third, in the seuenteene of his
raigne, gaue commandement for the finishing of that wall,
which was then performed, and to this day it continueth;
although now on both the sides (to wit, within and without)
it be hidden with dwelling houses. Richard Beamer deceased
in the yeare 1127. and his successors in processe of time
performed the worke begun.
Paules steeple.; The new work of powles in the East.
The steeple of this church was builded and finished in the
yeare 1222: the Crosse on the said steeple fell downe, and
a new was set vp in the yeare 1314. The new worke of
Powls (so called) at the East end aboue the Quire, was begun
in the yeare 1251.
Henry Lacy Earle of Lincolne, Constable of Chester, and
Custos of England, in his time was a great benefactor to this
work and was there buried, in the yeare 1310. Also Raph
Baldocke Bishop of London, in his life time gaue 200. markes
to the building of the sayd new worke: and left much by his
Testament towards the finishing thereof, he deceased in the
yeare 1313. and was buried in the Lady Chappell. Also the
new worke of Powls, to wit, the crosse Iles, were begun to be
new builded in the yeare 1256.
Pauls steeple fiered by lightning.
The first of February, in the yere 1444. about two of the
clock in the afternoone, the steeple of Powles was fiered by
lightning, in the midst of the shaft or spire, both on the West
side, and on the South, but by labour of many well disposed
people the same to appearance quenched with Vinegar, so
that all men withdrew themselues to their houses praysing
God: but betweene eight and nine of the clocke in the same
night, the fire burst out againe, more feruently then before,
and did much hurt to the Lead and Timber, till by the great
labour of the Mayor and people that came thither, it was
Pauls steeple repaired.; Wethercocke on Pauls steeple.
This steeple was repayred in the yeare 1462. and the
Weather-Cocke agayne erected: Robert Godwin winding it
vp, the rope brake, and hee was destroyed on the Pinacles,
and the Cocke was sore brused. But Burchwood (the Kinges
Plomer) set it vp againe: since the which time, needing
reparation, it was both taken downe and set vp, in the yeare
1553. At which time it was found to be of copper, gilt ouer,
& the length from the bill to the tail being 4. foot, & the
breadth ouer the wings 3. foot and a halfe, it weighed 40. li.
the crosse from the bole, to the Eagle (or cock) was fifteene
foot, & 6. inches of asise: the length thereof ouerthwart, was
5. foote & 10. inches: and the compasse of the bole was
9. foot and 1. inch.
Height of the steeple.; Length of Pauls church.; Gouernors of this church.
The inner bodie of this Crosse was Oake, the next couer
was Lead, and the vttermost was of Copper, red vernished.
The boale and Eagle or Cocke, were of Copper and gilt also.
The height of the steeple was 520. foot, whereof the stoneworke is 260. foot, & the spire was likewise 260. foote: the
length of the whole church is 240. taylers yardes, which make
720. foote: the breadth thereof, is 130. foote; and the height
of the bodie of that Church, is 150. foote. This Church hath
a Bishop, a Deane, a Precentor, Chancellor, Treasurer, and
fiue Archdeacons: to wit, of London, Midlesex, Essex, Colchester, and S. Albons: it hath Prebendaries thirtie, Canons
twelue, Vickars Corall six, &c.
Petty canons of Pauls.
The Colledge of Pettie Canons there was founded by king
Richard the second, in honor of Queene Anne his wife, and of
her progenitors, in the 17. of his raign. Their hall and lands
was then giuen vnto them, as appeareth by the Pattent,
maister Robert Dokesworth then being maister thereof. In
the yeare 1408, the petty Canons then building their Colledge,
the Maior and Comminaltie graunted them their water courses,
and other easements.
Great Cloyster of Pauls.; Daunce of Paules.
There was also one great Cloyster on the north side of this
church inuironing a plot of ground, of old time called Pardon
church yard, wherof Thomas More, deane of Pauls, was either
the first builder, or a most especiall benefactor, and was buried
there. About this Cloyster, was artificially and richly painted
the dance of Machabray, or dance of death, commonly called
the dance of Pauls: the like whereof was painted about
S. Innocents cloyster at Paris in France: the meters or poesie
of this dance were translated out of French into English by
Iohn Lidgate, Monke of Bury, the picture of death leading all
estates, at the dispence of Ienken Carpenter, in the raigne of
Henry the sixt. In this Cloyster were buryed many persons,
some of worship, and others of honour: The Monuments of
whome, in number and curious workemanship, passed all other
that were in that Church.
Library of paules.; Chapel in pardon Churchyard.
Ouer the East Quadrant of this Cloyster, was a fayre
Librarie, builded at the costes and charges of Waltar
Sherington, Chancellor of the Duchie of Lancaster, in the
raigne of Henrie the 6. which hath beene well furnished with
faire written bookes in Vellem: but few of them now do
remaine there. In the midst of this pardon churchyard, was
also a faire Chappell, first founded by Gilbert Becket, Portgraue and principall magistrate of this Citie, in the raigne of
king Stephen, who was there buried.
Thomas Moore Deane of Pauls before named, reedified or
new builded this Chappell, and founded three Chaplains there,
in the raigne of Henry the fift.
Chappell at the North dore of pauls.
In the yeare 1549. on the tenth of April, the sayd Chappell,
by commaundement of the Duke of Sommerset, was begun to
bee pulled downe, with the whole Cloystrie, the daunce of
Death, the Tombes and Monuments: so that nothing thereof
was left but the bare plot of ground, which is since conuerted
into a Garden, for the pettie Canons. There was also a
Chappell at the North doore of Paules, founded by the same
Waltar Sherrington, by licence of Henrie the sixt, for two,
three, or foure chaplaines, indowed with fortie pound by the
yeare. This Chappell also was pulled downe in the raigne of
Edward the sixt, and in place thereof a fayre house builded.
Holmes Colledge.; Iesus Chapple.
There was furthermore, a fayre Chapple of the holy Ghost
in Pauls church, on the north side: founded in the yeare
1400. by Roger Holmes, Chancellor and Prebendary of Paules,
for Adam Berie Alderman, Maior of London 1364, Iohn
Wingham and others, for seuen Chaplains, and called Holmes
colledge. Their common hall was in Pauls churchyard on
the south side, neare vnto a Carpenters yard. This colledge
was with others suppressed in the raigne of Ed. the sixt.
Then vnder the Quire of Paules is a large chappel, first
dedicated to the name of Iesu, founded, or rather confirmed
the 37. of H. the 6. as appeareth by his patent thereof, dated
at Crodowne to this effect. Many liege men, and Christian
people having begun a fraternitie, and guild, to the honour of the
most glorious name of Iesu Christ our sauiour, in a place called
the Crowdes of the cathedrall church of Pauls in London, which
hath continued long time peaceably till now of late: wherevpon
they haue made request, and we haue taken vpon vs the name &
charge of the foundation, to the laud of Almightie God, the
Father, the Sonne and the holy Ghost, and especially to the
honour of Iesu, in whose honour the fraternitie was begun, &c.
The king ordained William Say, then Deane of Paules, to
be the Rector, and Richard Ford (a remembrancer in the
Exchequer) and Henrie Bennis (clearke of his priuie Seale) the
Gardians of these brothers and sisters: they and their successors to haue a common seale: licence to purchase lands
or tenements to the value of fortie pound by the yeare, & c.
This foundation was confirmed by Henrie the seuenth, the
two and twentie of his reigne, to Doctor Collet, then Deane of
Powles, Rector there, &c. And by Henrie the eight, the seuen
and twentieth of his raigne, to Richard Pace, then Deane of
parish Church of S. Faith.
At the West ende of this Iesus Chappell, vnder the Quire
of Paules, also was a parrish Church of Saint Faith, commonly
called S. Faith vnder Pauls, which serued for the Stacioners
and other dwelling in Paules Churchyard, Pater noster row',
and the places neare adioyning. The said Chappell of Iesus
being suppressed in the raigne of Edward the sixt: the
Parishioners of saint Faiths church were remooued into the
same, as to a place more sufficient for largenesse and lightsomnesse, in the yeare 1551. and so it remaineth.
Charnel house with a chappel.
Then was there on the north side of this churchyard, a large
charnell house for the bones of the dead, and ouer it a chappell
of an olde foundation, such as followeth. In the yeare 1282.
the tenth of Edward the first, it was agreed, that Henrie Walles
Maior, and the Citizens, for the cause of shops by them builded,
without the wall of the churchyard, should assigne to God, and
to the church of Saint Paule, ten markes of rent by the yeare
for euer, towardes the new building of a chappell of the blessed
virgin Mary, and also to assigne fiue marks of yearly rent to
a chaplaine to celebrate there.
Moreouer in the yeare 1430. the eight of Henrie the sixt,
licence was granted to Ianken Carpenter (executor to Richard
Whittington) to establish vpon the said charnell, a chaplaine,
to haue eight marks by the yeare: Then was also in this
chappell two brotherhoods. Robert Barton, Henrie Barton
Maior, and Thomas Mirfin Maior, all Skinners, were intombed
with their Images of Alablaster ouer them, grated or coped
about with Iron before the said Chappell, all which was pulled
downe, in the yeare 1549. The bones of the dead couched vp
in a Charnill vnder the chappell, were conueyed from thence
into Finsbery field (by report of him who paid for the carriage)
amounting to more then one thousand cart loades, and there
laid on a Morish ground in short space after raised, by soylage
of the citie vpon them, to beare three milles. The Chappell
and charnill were conuerted into dwelling houses, ware houses
and sheades before them for Stacioners, in place of the
In the east pate of this Churchyeard, standeth Powles
schoole, lately new builded and endowed in the yeare 1512.
by Iohn Collet Doctor of Diuinity, and Deane of Powles, for
153. poore mens children to bee taught free in the same
schoole, for which hee appointed a Maister, a Surmaister, or
Vsher, and a Chaplain with large stipends for euer, committing
the ouersight thereof to the Maisters, Wardens and Assistantes
of the Mercers in London, because hee was sonne to Henry Collet
Mercer, sometime Maior. Hee lefte to these Mercers, landes to
the yearely value of one hundred and twenty pound or better.
Clochiard in Poules church yard.
Neare vnto this schoole, on the north side therof, was of
old time a great and high Clochier, or bell house, foure square,
builded of stone, and in the same a most strong frame of
timber, with foure Belles, the greatest that I haue heard, these
were called Iesus Belles, and belonged to Iesus Chappell, but
I know not by whose gift: the same had a great spire of
Timber couered with lead, with the Image of saint Paule on
the toppe, but was pulled downe by Sir Miles Partridge
knight, in the raigne ofHenry the eight. The common speech
then was, that hee did set an hundred pound vpon a cast at dice
against it, and so wonne the said Clochiard and belles of the
king: and then causing the bels to bee broken as they hung,
the rest was pulled downe. This man was afterward executed
on the Tower hill, for matters concerning the Duke of Sommerset, the fift of Edward the sixt.
Common bell of the City.
In place of this Clochiarde, of olde times the common
Bell of the Cittie was vsed to be rung for the assembly
of the citizens to their Folke motes, as I haue before
Pulpit Crosse in Powles Churchyard.
About the middest of this Churchyeard is a Pulpit Crosse of
timber, mounted vpon steppes of stone, and couered with leade,
in which are sermons preached by learned Diuines euery
Sundaye in the forenoone. The very antiquity of which
Crosse is to mee vnknowne: I reade, that in the yeare 1259.
King Henry the third commaunded a generall assembly to bee
made at this crosse, where hee in proper person commaunded
the Mayor, that on the next day following, hee should cause
to bee sworne before the Alderman, euery stripling of twelue
yeares of age, or vpwarde, to bee true to the king and his
heyres, kinges of England. Also in the yeare 1262. the same
king caused to bee read at Pauls Crosse, a Bull obtayned from
Pope Vrban the fourth, as an absolution for him, and for all
that were sworne to maintaine the Articles made in Parliament
at Oxford. Also in the yere 1299. the Deane of Powles
accursed at Powles Crosse all those which had searched in
the Church of Saint Martin in the fielde, for an hoorde of
gold, &c. This Pulpit crosse was by tempest of lightning and
thunder defaced. Thomas Kempe Bishop of London new
builded it, in forme as it now standeth.
Paules steeple and church brent.; Speedy repairing of Paules Church. The Queen's gift.
In the yeare 1561. the fourth of Iune, betwixt the houre of
three and foure of the clocke in the afternoone, the greate spire
of the steeple of Saint Paules church was fiered by lightning,
which brake foorth (as it seemed) two or three yeardes beneath
the foote of the Crosse, and from thence it brent downeward
the spire to the battlements, stone worke and Belles, so
furiously, that within the space of foure houres, the same
steeple with all the roofes of the church were consumed, to
the great sorrow and perpetuall remembrance of the beholders.
After this mischaunce, the Queenes Maiestie directed her
letters to the Mayor, willing him to take order for speedy
repayring of the same. And shee of her Gratious disposition,
for the furtherance thereof, did presently giue and deliuer in
golde 1000. markes, with a warrant for a thousand loades of
Timber, to bee taken out of her woods, or elsewhere.
The Cittizens also gaue first a great beneuolence, and after
that three fifteenes to be speedily paid. The Cleargie of
Englande likewise within the Prouince of Canterburie graunted
the fortieth part of the value of their benefices, charged with
first fruites, the thirtieth part of such as were not so charged,
but the Cleargie of London Dioces graunted the thirtieth parte
of all that paide first fruites, and the twentieth parte of such
as had paide theyr fruites.
Sixe Cittizens of London, and two Petie Canons of Powls
church, had charge to further and ouersee the worke, wherein
such expedition was vsed, that within one Moneth next following the burning thereof, the church was couered with boords
& lead, in manner of a false roofe against the weather, and
before the ende of the said yeare, all the saide Iles of the church
were framed out of new timber, couered with lead, and fully
finished. The same yeare also the great roofes of the west
and east endes were framed out of great timber in Yorkshire,
brought thence to London by sea, and set vp, and couered
with lead, the north and south endes were framed of timber,
and couered with leade before Aprill, 1566. Concerning the
steeple, diuers models were deuised and made, but little else
was done, through whose default God knoweth: it was said
that the money, appointed for new building of the steeple, was
Monumentes in Powles church.
Monumentes in this church be these, First as I reade, of
Erkenwalde Bishoppe of London buried in the olde Church,
aboute the yeare of Christ, seuen hundred, whose body was
translated into the new worke, in the yeare 1140. being richly
shrined aboue the Quire behind the high Alter.
Cause of monuments of the dead crosse legged.
Sebba or Seba king of the East Saxons, first buried in the
olde Church, since remoued into the new, and laide in a coffin
of stone (fn. 6) , on the north side without the Quire, Etheldred king
of the West Saxons was likewise buried and remoued.
William Norman, Bishop of London in the raignes of Edward
the Confessor and of William the conqueror, deceased 1070.
and is new buried in the body of the church with an Epitaph,
as in my summary I haue shewed, Eustachius de Faucon
bridge Bishoppe of London, 1228. buried in the south Ile
aboue the Quire. Martin Pateshull Deane of Powles, 1239.
W. Hauarhul Canon, the kings Treasurer, Hugh Pateshull
1240. Roger Nigar Bishoppe of London, 1241. buried in the
North side the quier. Fulco Basset Bishop of London, 1259.
and his Brother Philip Basset knight 1261. Henry Wingham
Bishop of London buried in the south Ile aboue the Quire,
1262. Geffrey de Acra Chaplen, in the Chapple of saint Iames
vnder the roode at North dore, 1264. Alexander de Swarford
1273. Iohn Grantham, 1273. Iohn Braynford, & Richard
Vmframuile, 1275. Roger de Lale Archdeacon of Essex, 1280.
Ralph Donion Canon 1382. Godfrey S. Donstan, 1274. Fulke
Louell, 1298. William Harworth, Clearke, 1302. Reginald
Brandon in the new Lady Chappell, 1305. Richard Newporte
Archdeacon of Middlesex, 1309. Henry Lacie, Earle of Lincolne, in the new worke of Powles, betwixt the Lady Chappell
and Saint Dunstons chappell, where a fayre monument was
raysed for him, with his picture in armour, crosse legged, as
one professed for defence of the holy land against the Infidels,
1310. his monument is fowly defaced. Ralph Baldoke Bishoppe
of London, 1313. in the saide Lady Chappell, whereof he was
W. Paston. Chapple on the south Ile of Powles, builded. Scalps of oxen found in digging the foundation.
Some haue noted that in digging the foundation of this
new worke, namely of a chappell on the south side of
Powles church, there were found more then an hundred
scalpes of Oxen or Kine, in the yeare one thousand three
hundred and sixeteene, which thing (say they) confirmed
greatly the opinion of those which haue reported that of
olde time there had beene a Temple of Iupiter, and that
there was dayly sacrifice of beastes.
A Bucks head borne before the procession at powles.
Othersome both wise and learned haue thought the Buckes
head, borne before the procession of Paules of Saint Pauls
day, to signifie the like. But true it is I haue read an ancient
deede to this effect.
Sir William Baud knight, the third of Edward the first,
in the yeare 1274, on Candlemas day granted to Haruy de
Borham, Deane of Powles, and to the chapter there, that in
consideration of twentie two Acres of ground or land, by
them granted within their Mannor of Westley in Essex, to
bee inclosed into his parke of Curingham, he would for euer
vppon the Feast daye of the conuersion of S. Paule in winter,
giue vnto them a good Doe, seasonable and sweete, and
vppon the Feast of the commemoration of S. Paule in
summer, a good Bucke, and offer the same at the high Altar,
the same to bee spent amongst the Canons residentes:
the Doe to bee brought by one man at the houre of Procession, and through the Procession to the High Alter: and the
bringer to haue nothing: the Bucke to bee brought by all his
meyney in like manner, and they to haue paid vnto them by
the chamberlaine of the church xii. pence onely, and no more
to be required. This grant he made, and for performance,
bound the landes of him and his heyres to bee distrained on:
and if the landes should bee euicted, that yet hee and his
Heyres shoulde accomplish the gifte. Witnesses Richard
Tilberie, William de Wockendon, Richarde de Harlowe
knights, Peter of Stanforde, Thomas of Waldon, and some
Sir Walter Baude, sonne to William, confirmed this gift,
in the thirtieth of the said king, and the witnesses therevnto
were Nicholas de Wokendon, Richard de Rokeley, Thomas
de Mandeuile, Iohn de Rochford knights, Richard de Broniford,
William de Markes, William de Fulham, and other.
Thus much for the grant.
Now what I haue heard by report, and haue partly seene,
it followeth. On the feast day of the commemoration of
saint Paule the bucke being brought vp to the steps of the
high Altar in Powls church, at the houre of procession, the
Deane and chapter being apparrelled in coapes and vestmentes, with garlands of Roses on their heades, they sent
the body of the Bucke to baking, and had the head fixed on
a powle, borne before the Crosse in their procession, vntill
they issued out of the West dore, where the keeper that
brought it blowed the death of the Bucke, and then the
horners that were about the cittie, presently aunswered him in
like manner: for the which paines they had each one of the
Deane and chapter, foure pence in money, and their dinner,
and the keeper that brought it was allowed during his abode
there, for that seruice, meate, drinke and lodging, at the
deane and chapters charges, and fiue shillinges in money at
his going away, together with a loafe of bread, hauing the
picture of saint Paule vppon it, &c.
Carta fundationis canterii.; Margaret Countesse of Shrewesburie her monument painted ouer the entrie of Iesus Chappel.
There was belonging to the church of Saint Paule for
both the dayes, two speciall sutes of vestmentes, the one
embrodered with Buckes, the other with Does, both giuen
by the sayd Bauds (as I haue heard.) Thus much for the
matter. Now to the residue of the monuments, sir Raph
Hingham, chiefe, Iustice of both Benches successiuely, buried
in the side of the north walke agaynst the Quire, 1308. Henry
Guildford Clarke, at the Altar of the Apostles, 1313. Richard
Newport Bishop of London, 1318. William Chateleshunte
Canon in the new worke, 1321. had a chantrie there, sir
Nicholas Wokenden knight, at the Altar of Saint Thomas in
the new worke, 1323. Iohn Cheshull Bishop of London, 1279.
Roger Waltham Canon, 1325. Hamo Chikewell sixe times
Maior of London, 1328. Robert Monden, and Iohn Monden
his brother, Canons, in the new worke, 1332. Woltar Thorpe
Canon, in the new worke, 1333. Iohn Fable, 1334.Iames
Frisil, Chaplen, 1341. William Melford Archdeacon of
Colchester <d. 1336>, Richard de Placeto, Archdeacon of Colchester <in> 1342. before Saint Thomas chappell. Geffrey
Eton, Canon, 1345. Nicholas Husband canon, 1347. sir Iohn
Poultney Maior, 1348. in a faire chappell by him builded on
the north side of Paules, wherein he founded three Chaplains.
William Euersden canon, in the Crowds, 1349. Alan Hotham
Canon, in the new Crowdes, 1351. Henrie Etesworth, vnder
the Roode at north doore, 1353, Iohn Beachampe Constable of Douer, warden of the Portes, knight of the
Garter, sonne to Gwy Beauchampe Earle of the Warwike, and
Brother to Thomas Earle of Warwicke, in the bodie of the
church on the South side, 1358. where a proper chapple, and
fayre monument remaineth of him: he is by ignorant people
misnamed, to be Humfrey Duke of Glocester, who lieth
honourably buried at Saint Albons, twentie myles from
London, and therefore such as merrily, or simply professe
themselues to serue Duke Humfrey in Paules, are to be
punished here, and sent to Saint Albons, there againe to bee
punished for their absence from their Lord and maister, as
they call him. Michael Norborow Bishop of London, 1361.
Waltar Nele Blader, and Auis his wife, 1361. Gilbert
Brewer Deane of Paules, 13<53>. Richard Wendouer, 1366.
Iohn Hiltofit Goldsmith, and Alice his wife, in the new worke,
S. Dunstons chapple, 1368. Adam de Bery, Maior of
London, and Roger Holmes for seuen Priestes in a Chappell
of the holy Ghost behinde the Rode at the North doore of
Pauls, 1390. Iohn of Gaunt Duke of Lancaster, 1399. buried
on the north side the Quire, beside Blanch his first wife, who
deceased 1368. sir Richard Burley knight of the Garter,
vnder a fayre monument in the side of the north walke
against the Quire, a chantrie was there founded for him, 1409.
Beatrix his wife, after his death married to Thomas Lord
Rouse, was buried in the chappell of Saint Iohn Baptist (or
Poultneys Chappell) neare the north doore of Paules, 1409.
Thomas Euers Deane of Paules, in Saint Thomas chappell
the new worke, 1411. (fn. 7) Thomas More Deane of Pouls, in the
chapple of Saint Anne and Saint Thomas by him new builded
in Pardon churchyard, 1419. Thomas Stow Deane of Paules,
by the Tombe of Iohn Beauchampe, 1423. (fn. 8) The Dutchesse
of Bedford, sister to Philip Duke of Burgoyne, 1433. Robert
Fitzhugh Bishop of London in the quire, 1435. Walter
Sherington, in a chappell without the North doore by him
builded, 1457. Iohn Drayton Goldsmith, in Alhallowes
chappell, 1456. William Say Deane of Paules, in the Crowds,
or Iesus chappel, 1468. Margaret countesse of Shrewsburie,
in the Crowdes, or Iesus chappell, as appeareth by an Inscription on a pillar there. 'Here before the Image of Iesu, lieth
the worshipfull and right noble ladie Margaret Countesse of
Shrewsburie, late wife of the true and victorious knight and
redoubtable warriour, Iohn Talbot (fn. 9) Earle of Shrewsburie,
which worship (fn. 10) died in Guien for the right of this land. The
first daughter, and one of the heyres of the right famous
and renowned knight Richard Beauchampe late Earle of
Warwicke, which died in Roane, and of Dame Elizabeth his
wife, the which Elizabeth was daughter and heyre to Thomas
late Lord Berkeley on his side, and of her mothers side Ladie
Lisle, and Tyes, which countesse passed from this world the
xiiii. day of Iune, in the yeare of our Lord 1468. on whose
<soule> Iesu haue mercie, Amen.' Iohn Wenlocke by his last
will, dated 1477. appoynted there should bee dispended vpon
a Monument ouer the Lady of Shrewesburie where she is
buried afore Iesus, one hundred pounds. He left Sir Humfrey
Talbot (fn. 11) his Superuisor. This sir Humfrey Talbot knight,
Lord Marshall of the towne of Calles, made his will the yeare
1492. He was yonger son of Iohn Earle of Shrewsburie, and
Margaret his wife: hee appoynted a stone to be put in a
pillar before the graue of his Ladie mother in Pauls, of his
portrature, and armes, according to the will of Iohn Wenlocke,
but for want of roome and lightsomnesse in that place, it
was concluded, the Image of Iesus to bee curiously painted
on the wall in Paules Church, ouer the doore that entreth
into the said Chappell of Iesus, and the portrature also of
the said Ladie Margaret countesse of Shrewesburie, kneeling
in her mantle of Armes, with other of her progenie, all which
was so performed, and remaineth till this day. In the
Chapple of Iesus, Thomas Docwrey, William Lambe, 1578
and many other haue been enterred, Iohnof London vnder
the North rode, 1266. Iohn Louell Clarke, Iohn Romane, Iohn
of Saint Olaue, Waltar Bloxley, Sir Alen Boxhull knight of
the Garter, Constable of the Tower, Custos of the Forrest
and parke of Clarendon, the Forrest of Brokholt, Grouell and
Melchet, buried beside Saint Erkenwalds shrine; and of later
time Thomas Kempe Bishop of London, in a proper Chappell
of the Trinitie by him founded in the bodie of the Church on
the North syde, 1489. Thomas Linicar, (fn. 12) Doctor of Phisicke,
Iohn Collett Deane of Paules, on the South side without the
Quier, 1519. Iohn Dowman Canon of Paules, 1525. Richard
Fitz-Iames Bishop of London, hard beneath the North-west
pillar of Paules Steeple, vnder a fayre Tombe, and a Chappell
of Saint Paule builded of Tymber, with Stayres mounting
therevnto ouer his Tombe of gray Marble, 1521. His Chappell
was burned by fire falling from the Steeple, his Tombe was
taken thence. Iohn Stokesley Bishop of London in our Ladie
Chappell, 1539. Iohn Neuill, Lord Latimer, in a Chappell
by the North doore of Paules, about 1542. Sir Iohn Mason
Knight in the North walke, agaynst the Quier, 1566. William
Herbert Earle of Pembrooke, knight of the Garter, on the
North side the Quier, 1569. Sir Nicholas Bacon, Lord Keeper
of the great Seale, on the South side of the Quier, 1578.
Sir Phillip Sidney aboue the Quier, on the northe side, 1586.
Sir Frances Walsingham knight, principall secretarie, and
Chauncellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, 1590. sir Christopher
Hatton Lord Chancellor of England, knight of the Garter,
aboue the Quier, 1591. vnder a most sumptuous Monument,
where a merry poet writ thus.
Philip and Francis haue no Tombe,
For great Christopher takes all the roome.
Iohn Elmer Bishop of London before saint Thomas chappel,
1594. The lady Heneage, and her husband, sir Thomas Heneage
Chancellor of the Dutchie, 1595. Richard Fletcher Bishop of
London, 1596. These as the chiefe haue I noted to bee
Pater noster Rowe.
Without the North gate of Paules Church, from the ende
of the olde Exchaunge, West vp Pater Noster Rowe, by the
two lanes out of Paules Church, the first out of the crosse Isle
of Paules, the other out of the bodie of the Church, about the
midst thereof, and so West to the golden Lion, be all of this
Warde, as is aforesaid. The houses in this streete, from the
first North gate of Paules Churchyard, vnto the next gate,
were first builded without the Wall of the Churchyard, by
Henrie Walles Maior, in the yeare 1282. The rentes of those
houses goe to the maintenance of London Bridge. This
streete is now called Pater Noster Rowe, because of Stacioners
or Text writers that dwelled there, who wrote and solde all
sortes of Bookes then in vse, namely, A. B. C. with the Pater
Noster, Aue, Creede, Graces, &c.
Pater Noster makers.; Aue Mary lane.; Creede lane.; Amen lane.; Duke of Brytaines house, since Pembrookes Inne, now Burgaueny house.; Bowier row.; Parish church of S. Martin by Ludgate.
There dwelled also turners of Beades, and they were called
Pater Noster makers, as I read in a record of one Robert
Nikke, Pater Noster maker and Citizen, in the raigne of Henry
the 4. and so of other. At the end of this Pater Noster
Rowe, is Aue Mary lane, so called vpon the like occasion of
text writers, and Beade makers then dwelling there: and at
the ende of that lane is likewise Creede lane, late so called,
but sometime Spurrier Rowe, of Spurriers dwelling there, and
Amen lane is added therevnto, betwixt the South end of
Warwicke lane, and the north end of Aue Mary lane: at the
north ende of Aue Mary lane, is one great house builded of
stone and timber, of old time pertaining to Iohn Duke of
Britaine, Earle of Richmond, as appeareth by the Records of
Ed. the second: since that it is called Pembrooks Inne, nere
vnto Ludgate, as belonging to the Earles of Pembrooke in the
times of Ric. the 2. the 18. yeare: and of Henry the 6. in the
xiiii. yeare. It is now called Burgaueny house, and belongeth
to Henry late Lord of Burgaueny. Betwixt the south end of
Aue Mary lane, and the North end of Creed lane, is the
comming out of Paules Church yard, on the East, and the
high street on the West, towards Ludgate, and this is called
Bowier row, of Bowiers dwelling there in olde time, now worne
out by Mercers and others. In this street on the north side,
is the parish church of saint Martin, a proper church, and
lately new builded: for in the yeare 1437. Iohn Michael Maior
and the comminaltie, granted to William Downe parson of
S. Martins at Ludgate, a parcell of ground, conteyning in
length 24 foot, and in breadth 24. foot, to set and build
theyr steeple vpon, &c. The Monuments here hath beene
of William Seuenoake Maior, 1418. Henry Belwase, and
Iohn Gest, 1458. William Tauerner Gentleman, 1466. Iohn
Barton Esquire, 1439. Stephen Peacocke, Maior, 1533. Sir
Roger Cholmley. Iohn Went, and Roger Paine had Chanteries
The Blacke Friers.; Maior and Barons of this Citie.; Parliament at the Blacke Fryers called the blacke Parliament.
On the south side of this streete, is the turning into the
blacke Friers, which order sometime had their houses in Oldeborne, where they remayned for the space of fiftie fiue yeares,
and then in the yeare 1276. Gregorie Roksley Maior, and the
Barons of this citie, granted and gaue to Ro. Kilwarby Archbishop of Canterbury, two lanes or wayes next the streete of
Baynards castell, and also the Tower of Mountfitchit, to bee
destroyed: in place of which, the said Robert builded the late
new church of the Blacke-Friers, and placed them therein.
King Edward the first and Elianor his wife were great
benefactors therevnto. This was a large church, and richly
furnished with Ornaments: wherein diuerse parliaments and
other great meetings hath beene holden: namely in the yeare
1450. the twentie eight of Henrie the sixt, a parliament was
begun at Westminster, and adiourned to the Blacke-Friers in
London, and from thence to Leycester. In the yeare 1522.
the Emperour Charles the fift was lodged there. In the
yeare 1524. the fifteenth of Aprill, a parliament was begun
at the Blacke Friers, wherein was demaunded a subsidie of
800000. pound, to bee raysed of goodes and landes, foure
shillings in euery pound, and in the ende was granted two
shillinges of the pound, of goodes or landes, that were worth
twenty pound, or might dispend twentie pound by the yeare,
and so vpward, to be payed in two yeares. This Parliament
was adiourned to Westminster, amongst the blacke Monkes,
and ended in the kings palace there, the fourteenth of August,
at nine of the clocke in the night, and was therefore called the
blacke parliament. In the yere 1529. Cardinall Campeius the
Legat, with Cardinal Woolsey sate at the said blacke friers,
where before them as Legats & Iudges, was brought in
question the kings marriage with Queene Katherin as to be
vnlawfull, before whom the king and Queene were cited and
summoned to appeare, &c. whereof more at large in my
Annales I haue touched.
The same yeare in the Moneth of October began a parliament in the Blacke Friers, in the which Cardinall Woolsey
was condemned in the premunire (fn. 13) : this house valued at
104.li. 15.s.5.d. was surrendred the xii. of Nouember, the 30.
of Henrie the eight. There were buried in this Church,
Margaret Queene of Scots, Hubert de Burgh Earle of Kent,
translated from their olde Church, by Old-Boorne: Robert de
Attabeto Earle of Bellimon: Dame Isabel wife to Sir Roger
Bygot, Earle Marshall: William and Iane Huse, Children to
Dame Ellis, Countes of Arundell, and by them lieth Dame
Ellis, daughter to the Earle Warren, and after Countesse of
Arundell: Dame Ide wife to Sir Waltar — daughter to Ferrers
of Chartley, Richard de Brewes, Richard Strange, sonne to
Roger Strange, Elizabeth daughter to sir Barthol. Badlesmere,
wife to sir William Bohun Earle of Northampton. Marsh,
the Earles of March and Hereford, and Elizabeth Countesse of
Arundell. Dame Ioan daughter to sir Iohn Carne, first wife
to sir Gwide Brian. Hugh Clare knight, 1295. The heart of
Q.Helianor the foundresse: the heart of Alfonce her son: the
hearts of Iohn and Margaret, children to W. Valence: sir
William Thorpe Iustice, the lord Lioth of Ireland, Maude wife
to Geffrey Say, daughter to ye Earle of Warwick, Dame
Sible, daughter to Wil. Pattehulle, wife to Roger Bewchampe,
and by her Sir Richard or Roger Bewchampe, Lorde S. Amand
and Dame Elizabeth his wife, daughter to the Duke of
Lancaster, sir Stephen Collington knight, sir William Peter
knight. The Countesse of Huntington, Dutches of Excester
1425. sir Iohn Cornwall, Lord Fanhope, died at Ampthill in
Bedfordshire, and was buried here, 1443. sir Iohn Tiptofte
Earle of Worcester beheaded, 1470. and by him in his Chapple,
Iames Tutchet, Lord Audley, beheaded 1497. William Paston
and Anne daughter to Edmond Lancaster. The Lord Beamount,
sir Edmond Cornewall Baron of Burford, The Lady
Neuell, wedded to the Lord Dowglas, daughter to the Duke of
Excester, Richard Scrope Esquier, Dame Katheren Vaux alias
Cobham, sir Thomas Browne and dame Elizabeth his wife,
Iane Powell, Thomas Swinforth, Iohn Mawsley, Esquier, 1432.
Iohn de la Bere, Nicholas Eare, Geffery Spring, William
Clifford Esquiers, Sir Thomas Brandon knight of the Garter,
1509. William Stalworth Marchant Taylor, 1518. William
Courtney Earle of Deuonshire nominate but not created, the
3. of Henry the eight, &c.
Parish church of S. Anne new builded in the black Friers.
There is a parrish of saint Anne within the precinct of the
Black Fryers, which was pulled down with the Friers Church,
by sir Thomas Carden: but in the raigne of Queene Mary,
hee being forced to find a church to the inhabitantes, allowed
them a lodging chamber aboue a staire, which since that
time, to witte the yeare, 1597. fell downe, and was againe
by collection therefore made, new builded and enlarged
in the same yeare, and was dedicated on the eleuenth of
Corne market by Pater noster Row.; Parish church of S Michaell ad Bladum.; Olde Crosse in west Cheape.; Roger North.
Now to turne againe out of the Black Fryers through
Bowier Rowe, Aue Mary lane, and Pater Noster Row, to the
church of saint Michaell ad Bladum, or at the corne, (corruptly
at the Querne,) so called, because in place thereof, was sometime a corne market, stretching vp West to the Shambles: It
seemeth that this church was new builded, about the raigne
of Edward the 3. Thomas Newton first Parson there, was
buried in the Quire, the yeare 1361. At the east end of this
Church stoode a Crosse, called the old crosse in west Cheape,
which was taken downe in the yeare 1390. since the which
time, the said parrish church was also taken down, but new
builded and enlarged, in the yeare 1430. the eight of Henry
the sixt. William Eastfield Mayor, & the comminaltie
graunted of the common soyle of the citie, three feet and
a halfe in bredth on the north part, and foure foot in bredth
toward the East, for the enlarging thereof. This is now a
proper Church, and hath the monumentes of Thomas Newton
first Parson, Roger Woodcocke, Hatter, 1475. Thomas Rossel
Brewer, 1473. Iohn Hulton, Stacioner, 1475. I. Oxney, Roger
North, Marchant Haberdasher, 1509. Iohn Leiland the famous
Antiquary, Henry Pranell Vintner, one of the shiriffes 1585.
William Elkin one of the shiriffes, 1586. Thomas Bankes,
Barber Chirurgion, 1598. &c. Iohn Mundham had a Chauntrie there, in the 4. of E. the second.
Water conduit by Pauls gate.; Passage throgh S. Michels church.; Panier Alley.; Tuie lane.
At the east end of this church, in place of the olde crosse, is
now a water conduit placed, W. Eastfield Mayor, the 9. of H.
the 6. at the request of diuers common councels, granted it so
to be: wherevpon in the 19. of the same Henry, one thousand
marks was granted by a common counsell towardes the workes
of this conduit, & the reparations of other: this is called the
little Conduit in West Cheape by Powles gate. At the west
end of this parrish church is a small passage for people on
foote through the same church, & west from the said church,
some distance, is an other passage out of Pater noster row, and
is called of such a signe, Panyar Alley, which commeth out
into the North ouer against S. Martins lane. Next is Iuie
lane, so called of Iuie growing on the walles of the Prebend
houses, but now the lane is replenished on both the sides with
faire houses, and diuers offices be there kept, by registers,
namelie, for the prerogatiue court of the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Probate of Willes, and for the Lord Treasurers
remembrance of the Exchequer, &c.
Louels Inne. Eldenese lane, or warwicke lane. warwickes Inne.; Bladder street; Mountgodard streete.; Newgate market; Parish church of S. Ewin.
This Lane runneth North to the west ende of S.Nicholas
shambles. Of old time was one great house, sometimes
belonging to the Earles of Britaine, since that to the Louels,
and was called Louels Inne: for Mathild wife to Iohn Louell
held it in the first of H. the 6. Then is Eldenese lane, which
stretcheth North to the high street of Newgate market, the
same is now called Warwicke lane, of an ancient house there
builded by an Earle of War wicke, and was since called Warwicke Inne. It is in record called a messuage in Eldenese
lane, in the parrish of S.Sepulchre, the 28. of Henry the 6.
Cicille Dutches of Warwicke possessed it. Now againe from
the Conduit by powles gate on the north side, is a large streete,
running west to Newgate, the first part whereof from the
Conduit to the shambles, is of selling bladders there, called
Bladder street. Then behind the butchers shops be now
diuers slaughter houses inward, and Tippling houses outward.
This is called Mountgodard streete of the Tippling houses
there, and the Goddards mounting from the tappe to the
Table, from the table to the mouth, and sometimes ouer the
head. This streete goeth vp to the North end of Iuie lane.
Before this Mountgodard streete stall boordes were of olde
time set vp by the Butchers, to shew & to sell their flesh
meate vpon, ouer the which stalboordes, they first builded
sheades to keepe off the weather, but since that incroching by
little and little, they haue made their stall boordes & sheads,
faire houses, meete for the principall shambles. Next is
Newgate market, first of corne and meale, and then of other
victuals, which stretcheth almost to Eldenese lane. A faire
new and strong frame of timber couered with lead, was therefore set vp at the charges of the citie, neare to the west
corner of S. Nicholas shambles, for the meale to be weighed,
in the I. of Edward the 6. Sir Iohn Gresham being then
Mayor. On this side the north corner of Eldenese lane stood
sometime a proper parrish church of S.Ewine, as is before
said, giuen by Henry the 8. towards the erecting of Christs
church, it was taken down, and in place thereof, a faire strong
frame of timber erected, wherein dwell men of diuers Trades.
And from this frame to Newgate is all of this ward, and so
an end thereof. It hath an Alderman, his Deputie, common
councel, 12. Constables, 17. Scauengers, 18. Wardmote Inquest, 18. and a Bedle: And is taxed to the fifteene, 50.