APPENDIX: CONTAINING. ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS TO THE FIRST AND SECOND VOLUMES.
TO VOLUME I.
|Page 39,||1. 6. for Saxonica read Saxonici.|
|64,||1.16. for were read was.|
|76,||1.21. for Wired read Widred.|
|137,||1.3. for Poictu read Poictou.|
|154,||1.7. Read the line thus—EDMUND (his
brother, the last mentioned earl, dying without issue) succeeded him, &c.|
|213.||Add to the list of Sheriffs—|
|1797.||GEORGE GROTE, esq. of Beckenham.|
PAGE 340. THE parish of St. Nicholas is but of small extent; the
land not built upon does not exceed at most three acres, but
the houses are about eleven hundred. The parish of St. Paul
contains about two thousand four hundred houses, and eighteen hundred acres of land, of which about five hundred are
arable, about the same quantity is occupied by market gardeners, the remainder marsh and pasture. The soil on the
hills, towards Brockley, is clay, in other parts sand and gravel. At Lomepit-hole there is a large chalk pit, in which are
found various kinds of extraneous fossils.
PAGE 341. It appears that the population of this town
and parish has increased within the space of two centuries in
the proporation of twenty to one. In 1665, three hundred
and seventy four persons died of the plague here, and the
next year five hundred and twenty-two.
PAGE 341. There are several meeting houses in St. Paul's
parish—of the Quakers one, the Independents two, of the
Anabaptists one, which has an endownment, and two belonging to the Methodists.
PAGE 342. Near the victualling-office is Deadman's dockyard, the property of Sir Frederick Evelyn. Men of war of
seventy four guns are sometimes built here.
The dock yard, mentioned by Stow, to have been projected
by Stanton and others, afterwards was carried forward by Sir
Nicholas Crispe, but being referred by king Charles II. to
the crown surveyor, his report was by no means favourable
to it, and the design seems to have been laid aside.
PAGE 346. For Sinum read Sium, and Garyophillis
PAGE 357. Upper Brockley farm was about the time of
the Restoration vested in Sir John Cutler, bart. who, in
1692, settled it on Edmund Boulter, esq. who, in 1707, left
it to his brother, William, from whom it passed to his grand
son, Richard Wilkinson, and afterwards to William Wickham, esq. and Mary his wife, the said Richard's sister, by
which means it came into the family of Wickham.
PAGE 360. The ancient place at Deptford, where the
meetings of the corporation of the Trinity house were formerly held, was pulled down in the year 1787, and an
elegant building was erected in the room of it for that purpose in London, near the Tower. The arms of the corporation are, Argent a cross gules between four ships of three masts,
in full sail proper.
The old hospital, which adjoins to the church yard, was built
in King Henry, VIII.'s reign; it consisted originally of twentyone apartments, but being pulled down and rebuilt, in 1788,
the number was increased to twenty-five. The other, which
is in Church-street, was built at the latter end of the last
century; it consists of fifty-six apartments, forming a spacious quadrangle, in the centre of which is placed a statue of
Capt. Maples. On the east side, opposite the entrance, is a
plain building, which serves both for a chapel and a hall,
where the brethern meet annually on Trinity Monday. The
pensioners in both hospitals consist of decayed pilots or masters of ships, or their widows; the single men and widows
receive about 18l. per annum, the married men about 28l.
An extensive manufacture of earthen ware, known by the
name of Deptford ware, is carried on at this place.
PAGE 364. Edmund Boulter, esq. by will, in 1707, gave
to the parish of Deptford, as right of presenting one pensioner
to a certain alms-house, which he directed to be built near
Oxford. It was not built till 1780. This belongs exclusively to St. Paul's Parish.
PAGE 367. The CHURCH of St. Nicholas now consists
of a chancel, nave, and two isles; when the church was rebuilt, in 1697, upon a larger scale, the work was so badly
performed, that in 1716, a thorough repair was necessary to
it, at the expence of four hundred pounds.
The rectory of St. Nicholas' parish comprehends the great
tithes of that parish and of St. Paul's, except the manor of
Hatcham, which belongs to the Camberwell impropriation.
PAGE 373. GREENWICH PARISH contains about eleven
hundred and seventy acres of cultivated land, of which about
one hundred and forty are arable, one hundred and sixty occupied by market gardeners, about five hundred and fifty
marsh and lowland meadow, and about three hundred and
twenty upland meadow and pasture, including Greenwichpark, which contains one hundred and eighty-eight acres. It
was walled round in James I.'s reign, and laid out in that of
Charles II. under the direction of Le Norte, being planted
with elms and Spanish chesnuts, some of which are of a very
large size. The profits of the market were given to the hospital by Henry earl of Romeny, in 1700.
PAGE 408. Greenwich hospital, in its present state, consists
of four distinct piles of building, between is a grand square,
and in front, by the river side, a terrace of considerable length.
The view from the north gate, which opens to the terrace, in
the midway between the two buildings, presents and assemblage
of objects uncommonly grand and striking; beyond the square,
are seen the hall and chapel, with the their beautiful domes and
the two colonades, which from a kind of avenue, terminated
by the ranger's lodge, in the park, on an eminence of which
appears the royal observatory, admist a grove of trees. In the
centre of the great square is a statue of king George II.
King Charles II.'s building stands on the west side of the
great square, the eastern part of it, which is of Portland stone,
was erected, in 1664, by Web, after a design of his fatherin-law, Inigo Jones. In this range of buildings is the council-room, and in which, and the anti-chamber to it, are se
veral portraits and sea pieces. The north part of king
Charles's building, towards the river, contains the apartments
of the governor and lieutenant governor. This and the south
front have each two pavilions, similar to those in the east
front. The west side of this buildings comprehending the
north west and south west pavilions, was originally all of
brick. It was the first addition to king Charles's palace, being called, The bass building. The foundation was laid in
1696, and was nearly completed in two years. The whole
of what is now called king Charles's building contains fourteen wards, in which are three hundred and one beds.
Queen Anne's building, on the east side of the great square,
nearly corresponds with king Charles's on the opposite side.
The foundation of it was laid in 1698, and the greater part
of it was raised and covered in before 1728. In this building
are several of the officers apartments, and twenty-four wards,
in which are four hundred and thirty-seven beds.
King William's building is to the south-west of the great
square. It contains the great hall, vestibule, and dome, designed
and erected by Sir Christopher Wren between 1698 and 1703,
to the east of which joins the colonade. The painting of
this hall was undertaken by Sir James Thornhill, and cost
6685l. The west front of king William's building, which is
of brick, was finished by Sir John Vanbrugh, about 1726.
It contains eleven wards, in which are five hundred and fiftyone beds.
The foundation of the eastern colonade (which is similar to
that on the west side) was laid in 1699, but the chapel and
other parts of queen Mary's building, which adjoin to it,
were not finished till 1752. This building, which corresponds to that called king William's, contains thirteen wards
and one thousand and ninety-two beds.
On January 2, 1779, a dreadful fire happened in this building, which destroyed the chapel with its dome, part of the colonade, and as many of the adjoining wards as contained five
hundred beds. The whole has been since rebuilt. The present chapel was designed by the late Mr. Stuart, well known
for his Antiquities of Athens. The two pavilions at the extremities of the terrace were erected in 1778.
In 1763, an infirmary was erected without the walls of the
hospital for the sick pensioners, after the design of Mr. Stuart.
It contains sixty-four rooms, each formed so as to accommodate four patients; here is also a chapel, hall, and kitchen,
and apartments for a physician, apothecary, surgeon, &c. and
within the walls are hot and cold baths. In 1783, a schoolhouse, with a dormitory for the boys, was built from a design
of Mr. Stuart, without the walls of the hospital; the wards,
which the boys occupied, being appropriated to an additional
number of pensioners. The school-room, being one hundred feet in length, is capable of containing two hundred
boys; in the upper stories are two dormitories of the same
length, furnished with hammocks. About fifteen thousand
four hundred pensioners, and six hundred and forty nurses,
the widows of seament, have been admitted into this hospital
since its first establishedment. The present number of out pensioners is about twelve hundred.
The boys educated in this hospital, who must be seamen's sons,
between eleven and thirteen years of age, objects of charity,
are cloathed, lodged, and maintained for three years, during
which time they are instructed in the principles of religion,
in writing, arithmetic, navigation, and drawing, and are afterwards bound out for seven years to the sea service. An
excellent branch of the charity, which answers the double
purpose of providing for the sons of poor seamen, and of making them in the end useful to their country. About two
thousand seven hundred boys have been educated since the
first establishment of this institution to the present time.
PAGE 373. Near the water side, adjoining to Norfolk
college, is the spacious iron wharf of Millington and Coformerly belonging to the Crawleys, being used for a supply
of such goods as are wanted in greater haste than could be
forwarded from their great manufactory in the north.
The antient mansion, now belonging to the earl of Ashburnham, in the occupation of Mr. Millington, was for some time
the residence of the family of Crawley.
PAGE 373. The Roman Catholics have a chapel in Greenwich; there is one meeting house belonging to the Anabaptists, and two belonging to the Methodists.
PAGE 386. After the Restoriation, a lease for ninety-nine
years was granted of it by the crown in 1676, to Sir William
Boreman, of whose heirs Sir John Morden purchased the remainder of the term, and afterwards obtained a grant of the
perpetuity of it.
PAGE 389. East Combe. At the Restoration the fee of this
estate, which had been before, from time to time, held by, lease,
reverted to the crown, James, son of Peter Fortree, had a new
lease in 1663, which in 1665, he assigned to James Hayes, esq.
whose heirs made an assignment of it to Ralph Sanderson, esq.
in whose family the lease of it was several times afterwards renewed. Lady Sanderson had a renewal of it in 1772, for
nine years, to commence in 1793; and she left by will her
interest in it to Mr. Montague, who assigned it to the late John
Campbell Lord lion king of arms in Scotland, in whose representatives it is now vested.
PAGE 392. Westcombe-park was granted by Sir Gregory
Page, on a long lease, to Capt. Galsridus Walpole, (younger
brother of Sir Robert) who built the present house. This
lease afterwards came into the possession of Charles duke of
Bolton, who resided here; he died in 1754, as did his duchess
in 1760, when her interest in it came to her son, the Rev.
Mr. Powlett, in whom the remainder of the lease, which expires in 1824, is now vested.
Woodlands is a modern seat, situated between East and Westcombe; the grounds here were laid out and the house was
built about 1772, by the present proprietor, John Julius Angerstein, esq. and occupies a situation uncommonly beautiful.
PAGE 410. Since the foundation of Mr. Lambarde's hospital there have been several benefactions, which have greatly
increased the income of it, for the pensioners are now allowed
fifteen shillings per month, and a chaldron and an half of
coals yearly. This hospital is situated to the south west of
the town, where the roads branch off to London and Lewisham.
The pensioners in Norfolk college have eight shillings a week
for commons, the warden sixteen shillings, besides cloaths,
lodging, and salaries, variable at the discrection of the company; the present annual revenue of the college, which is in
a very flourishing condition, is eleven hundred pounds. This
college stands by the river side, at the east end of the town.
It is a brick structure, forming a quadrangle.
PAGE 419. To the list of vicars add—
Ralph Skerrett, S. T. P. ind. 1720, obt. 1751.
Samuel Squire, in 1751, S. T. P. who was in 1760, made
dean of Bristol, and next year bishop of St. David's; he held
this vicarage in commendam till his death, in 1766, and was
succeeded by Dr. Hinchcliffe.
PAGE 420. THIS PARISH is of no great extent; it has
about ninety acres of woodland, and a considerable quantity
of waste ground, including a part of Blackheath, and one
hundred and forty-five acres of marsh. The soil is various,
gravel, loam, sand, and chalk. The number of houses in
it is ninety-five.
The house, mentioned as near the church-yard, was built by
Sir Richard Raynes, who died in 1710, possessed of a considerable estate in this parish; his son, Dr. Raynes, be
queathed this house and estate to Joseph Kirke, esq. who
devised them to the Rev. Mr. Harris, of Cheveley, in Cambridgeshire, with remainder to Mr. Browne, of the kingdom
of Ireland, as there mentioned.
Line 11. After lately, add two; and for were read was.
PAGE 421. Hanging-wood belongs to the lord of the
manor, through which there is a very pleasant walk to Woolwich. The wood, the variety of uneven ground, and the
occasional views of the river, contribute to make this parish
At the farther end of the above wood is a very large and
deep sand-pit, in which there is a stratum of marle, six or
eight feet thick, in which are found great numbers of extraneous fossils, which lie so numerous and close, that, as Dr.
Woodward observes, the mass is wholly composed of them,
there being but very little marle interspersed. These shells
consist of a great variety of univalves and bivalves (conchæ,
ostreæ, buccinæ, &c.) They are very brittle, and for the most
part resemble those found at Tours, in France, and at Hordwell-cliff, in Hampshire; some of them are impregnated
with mundic. Below the church there is a chalk-pit, in which
echini and other extraneous fossils are found.
The other house, late the residence of Mr. Lambton, and before of Mrs. Fitzherbert, is about to be taken for the summer
residence of her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales; it
was formerly the rectory, and was exchanged by Dr. Warren
for the present one, now occupied by Mrs. Chamberlain,
widow of the late rector; whose daughter, in 1796, married
the Rev. Mr. Roper, the present rector.
PAGE 422. Line 14, for Pumaria read Fumaria; and
line 17, for corciata read cruciata.
PAGE 425. Lady Wilson is now the proprietor of this seat,
of which an engraving is given in Lyson's Environs, vol. iv.
p. 327; where there is a particular description of this mansion. In 1742, it was in the occupation of the earl of Egmont, in whose family it continued many years; after which
it was rented by the earl of Ancram, afterwards marquis of
Lothian; and was afterwards the residence of Sir Thomas
S. Wilson, the proprietor of it.
PAGE 429. John Cator, esq. in 1787, sold the materials
of the house by auction, in lots, to be taken away; a great
part of it has not been yet removed, and it now stands in
ruins, a melancholy monument of its former grandeur.
That part of the premises, which lies between the scite of
the mansion and Blackheath, has been let on building leases.
A farm, called the Cherry-garden farm, in this parish, is said
to have been built by Inigo Jones, for his own use.
PAGE 433. The church is built of brick, consisting of two
chancels, a nave, and north isle; the tower stands at the
west end, and is embattled.
In the north isle or chancel, is a monument for Robert Dingley, esq. F.R.S. of Lamaby, in Bexley, one of the principal promoters of the Magdalen charity, obt. 1781; and for
his two wives.
The monuments and gravestones in this church, for persons
of distinguished rank, are numberous, much more so than
this work will admit the mention of. Sir William Langhorn
left one thousand pounds, to purchase lands for the augmentation of this rectory.
PAGE 441. This Parish lies about nine miles from
London; it contains about seven hundred acres of land, of
which three hundred and eighty are marsh, on the Essex side
of the Thames, bounded by Barking and Barking-creek,
which separates it from East Ham. Fifty acres are marsh on
the Kentish side of the river, about forty arable, ten occupied
by market gardeners, fifty waste, about fifty upland pasture,
and fifty acres were leased, a few years ago, to government.
The soil, except in the marshes, is principally gravel; at the
east end of the town is a chalk-pit, which has a stratum,
abounding with the same extraneous fossils as that at Charlton. The market-place here was changed within the present century. The Gun wharf formerly occupied the spot
where the present market is now held.
PAGE 442. The present number of houses in this parish
is about twelve hundred. The great increase of population,
which has been in proporation of near five to one, within the
last century, is to be attributed to the proportionate increase
of the dock-yard and Warren, and the augmentation of the
artillery, who have their head quarters at this place.
PAGE 444. The land, mentioned p. 450, to have been
purchased by king Henry VIII. in his 37th year, of Sir Edward Boughton, then proprietor of Southall manor, called
Bowton's docks, &c. is supposed to be for the use of the
royal dock, which has been considerably increased from time
to time by the addition of several pieces of marsh land, held
by government, under lease from the Bowater family, being
parcel of the manor of Southall, for which an annual rent
of four hundred pounds is paid by government. The present dock-yard consists of a narrow slip of land by the river
side of five furlongs and eighteen yards in length, contains
two dry docks, two mast-pounds (another of large dimensions
is now making upon twelve acres of additional ground, taken
into the dock-yard about the year 1786) besides forges, storehouses, workshops, &c. for the different working artificers,
and houses for the officers of the yard.
PAGE 445. The academy above mentioned is in the
Warren, which is the head quarters of the regiment of artillery, but since the great increase of that regiment, the Warren, which contains between fifty and sixty acres, has been
found very insufficient for that purpose; on which account a
piece of ground, containing about fifty acres, was taken on
lease by government of Mr. Bowater, about twenty years
ago, and spacious barracks were built for the accommodation
of the officers and privates of that corps, for whom there was
not room in the Warren.
Two bulks are stationed in the river at Woolwich, for the reception of convicts, who are employed in the most laborious
offices at the dock-yard and Warren, having proper persons
to superintend them, and take an account of their labour.
PAGE 449. The manor of Southall, alias Woolwich, was
purchased of the Boughtons by the Heywoods or Haywoods,
as their name was afterwards spelt (not Heydons). Sir Edward Boughton sold it in 1555, to Richard Haywoode, whose
descendant, Christopher Haywoode, in 1580, alienated it to
Richard Patrick; soon after which it was sold to Sir Nicholas
Gilbourne; his descendant, Elizabeth, daughter and heir of
Thomas Gilbourne, married St. Leger Scroope, esq. who
sold this manor, in 1692, to Richard Bowater the elder, and
Richard Bowater the younger. It is now the property of
John Bowater, esq. and the manor house is in the occupation of his brother, Capt. Edward Bowater.
PAGE 453. The glebe land consists of about twenty
acres of pasture, lying within a ring sence.
PAGE 454. The church consists of a nave, two isles, and
a chancel; there are galleries in it on the north, south, and
There are a great number of tombs and memorials in the
church-yard, principally for the officers of the dock-yard,
royal artillery, and their families.
PAGE 455. This PARISH contains about two thousand
eight hundred and eighty acres of land, of which about three
hundred and sixty are wood land, and about sixty waste. The
soil near the town is principally gravel; in the more distant
parts, towards Shooter's-hill, and towards Chesilhurst, it is
clay. The present number of houses is about two hundred
PAGE 457. On Shooter's-hill, the earl of Shrewsbury
has lately built a small, but elegant house, for his residence.
PAGE 459. Dr. Sherard died at Eltham, in 1739. His
house is now in the tenure of John Dorrington, esq. some of
Dr. Sherard's exotics still remain, among which is a fine cedar of Libanus, close to the house, the girth of which, at
three feet from the ground, is nine feet.
PAGE 463. The lease of the manor of Eltham was again
renewed to Sir John Gregory Shaw for eight years, from
April 1796; and again for seven years, from 1804.
PAGE 466. King James was at Eltham, in 1612; after
which it does not seem to have been visited by any of the
The great hall, now used as a barn, and some of the offices,
are all that are remaining of it. The hall is one hundred
feet in length, thirty-six in breadth, and fifty-five in height;
it has a wooden roof, wrought with Gothic ornaments.
PAGE 477. Sir William James, bart. died in December 1783, as did his only son, Sir Edward William James,
bart. in 1792, æt. 18; they were both buried here.
PAGE 478. Robert Nassau was second son of the Hon.
Richard Savage Nassau, brother to the earl of Rochford; I
am since informed that this seat of the Wythens was sold
by George Nassau, esq. to Joseph Warner, esq. the present
proprietor, who resides here.
PAGE 481. Since earl Bathurst's death, Fairy-hill has
been in the successive occupations of Henry Hoare, esq. Gen.
Morrison, and John Randall, esq. after which it was sold to
Mr. Naylor, who died in 1796.
PAGE 485. The church consists of a chancel, nave, and
two isles, having a tall spire steeple at the west end. The
north isle was built in 1667, by Sir John Shaw, bart. who
had a faculty for the purpose. Whilst the vault was digging
under this isle, the roof of the isle fell in; after which it was
rebuilt, new pewed, and a new pulpit was given, all at Sir
John Shaw's expence.
PAGE 487. The lease of the rectory was purchased of
the Nassaus by Mr. John Green, who is the present lessee
PAGE 492. This PARISH contains about one thousand
and sixty acres of land, of which about five hundred and
twenty are arable, about four hundred and sixty meadow and
pasture, and about eighty woodland; there is no waste land.
The soil in the upper part, towards Bromley, is a stiff clay;
in other parts gravel. The present number of houses is
Lady Dacre's seat was inherited by her from her father, Sir
Thomas Fluyder. There is a handsome seat in the village,
which was built by Thomas Lucas, esq. who resided in it
till his death, in 1784; his widow marrying John Julius
Angerstein, esq. entitled him to it, and he now owns it, but
it is in the occupation of Sir John Call, bart.
PAGE 497. There were two estates, called Little Banker's
and Great Hatchfield, partly in this parish, and partly in
Lewisham, which have for many years passed with the manor
of Catford, in Lewisham.
PAGE 499. The church consists of a nave and chancel;
at the west end is a low tower, the upper part of which has
been rebuilt with brick, and is roofed with common red tiles.
At the later end of the last century it was in agitation to rebuild this church, which was then represented to be in a
state too ruinous to admit of repair; this measure has been
again purposed during the incumbency of the present rector,
but no steps have been yet taken towards it.
In the church is a monument for Trevor Charles Roper, lord
Dacre, who married Mary Jane, daughter of Sir Thomas
Fluyder knt. (who died in 1769, and lies buried here) by
Mary his wife, daughter of Sir George Champion; he died
in 1794, æt. 49.
William Parsons, the late celebrated comedian, was buried here
in 1795; over whom is this epitaph—Here Parsons LIES, OFT ON Life's BUSY STAGE,
With Nature, Reader, Hast Thou Seen Him Vie;
He Science Knew, Knew Manners, Knew The Age,
Respected Knew to Live—Respected Die.
PAGE 502. The present rector, Dr. Courtenay, bishop
of Bristol, was in Feb. 1797. translated to the see of Exeter.
PAGE 503. The CHURCH, which is about the centre of
the village, is not far from the sixth mile stone from London. The parish is bounded towards Surry by Lambeth,
Camberwell, and the hamlet of Penge: two-thirds of the
cultivated lands are arable, two hundred acres are wood, and
the waste lands on Sydenham common, Blackheath, &c.
nearly one thousand acres. Mr. Russell, who has one of the
most extensive concerns of the kind in the kingdom, occupies about fifty acres of nursery ground, and there are about
forty cultivated by market gardeners. The whole number
of houses in this parish is five hundred and thirty; of which,
in the hamlet of Sydenham, there are about eighty.
PAGE 504. The manor of Sydenham, the antient scite of
which lies within the bounds of this parish, was given by
John Besville to the prior and convent of St. Andrew, Rochester; and at the dissolution of it, in king Henry VIII.'s
reign, passed with the other possessions of it into the hands of
the crown. The mansion of it, called the Place-house, and
sometimes from its size, the Great House, stood about a
mile northward from the village of Sydenham, near the western side of the river. It became, with a small parcel of the
demesne lands round it, some years ago separated in moieties,
one of which was purchased by Mr. Jonathan Sabine, the
present proprietor, who has pulled down his moiety of the
house. The eastern moiety, which is now standing, was inherited, with the lands belonging to it, by the niece of Rich.
Brooke, esq. widow of John Secker, esq. who is the present
owner of it.
The mill, at Southend, formerly used by Mr. Ephraim How,
is now a mustard mill. At the village or town of Lewisham
is a mill for making cloth without weaving.
The large mansion, near the church, late Mr. Sclater's,
was built by Sir John Lethieullier, in 1680; it is now the
property of Mr. Richard Wright, and is occupied as a school.
PAGE 505. Between Lewisham and Brockley is a well,
of the same quality as those of Tunbridge. The spring is
the property of lord Dartmouth; a woman attends to serve
the water, which is delivered gratis to the inhabitants of this
parish. At the Well-house are held the meetings of the St.
George's Bowmen, a society of archers, established in 1789.
PAGE 512. The old manor house, which was probably the
scite of the priory, stood to the south of the church, where
is now the manor farm.
PAGE 515. The manor of Billingham, after the Dissolution, came into the hands of the crown, and was granted by
queen Mary, in 1554, to Richard Whately, whose daughter
and heir, Phillippa, married John Rochester, and he levied a
fine of it in 1575; his son and heir, Emery, sold it in 1584,
to John Leigh, who in 1598, alienated it to James Altham,
by a female heir of which name it passed in marriage to Stidolse. Sir Richard Stidolse, by his will, in 1676, gave his
estates between his two daughters, Margaret, wife of James
Tryon, esq. and Frances, married to Jacob lord Astley. Fran
ces lady Astley left her estates to her nephew, Charles Tryon,
esq. in whom the entire see of this manor being vested, he
sold it in 1724, to Thomas Inwen, esq. whose daughter,
Sarah viscountess Falkland, afterwards inherited it.
PAGE 524. The present structure of the church, which is
of stone, consists of an oblong square, with a small circular recess, at the east end, for the altar; on the south side is a portico. At the west end stands an antient square tower, the
upper part of which has been rebuilt. The inside is neatly
fitted up; at the west end is an organ, given by Mr. Spencer,
whose arms are on the front; on each side are monuments
for the Petrie family, the one executed in Italy, the other by
In the vault, under the new church, are placed the several
monuments which had been in the old church.
The church-yard has a great number of tomb-stones in it;
among them is one for the Rev. William Lowth, the late
vicar, who died in 1795.
Mrs. Susan Graham, widow, who died in 1698, built a
chapel on Blackheath, and endowed it with twenty pounds
per annum for a reader; two pounds for ringing the bell,
and three pounds for repairs, charged on the great tithes.
There is another chapel also on Blackheath, within this parish, built in 1791, and licensed as a chapel of ease. At Sydenham is another chapel, which was formerly a meetinghouse for Presbyterian dissenters. It is now licensed as a
chapel of ease for the parish of Lewisham. The number
of houses, in and near Blackheath, within this parish, are
about one hundred.
PAGE 525. Line penult: read John Glynn, ob. 1568.
PAGE 528. This parish reaches to the confines of Surry,
where it is bounded by that of Croydon, a small portion of
Camberwell, and Penge, a detached hamlet of Battersea. It
contains three thousand one hundred and seventy acres of
land, of which, in 1793, about eighteen hundred and fifty
were arable, ten hundred and eighty meadow and pasture,
and about two hundred and forty woods and orchards, but
a considerable quantity has since been laid down in grass, the
waste lands do not exceed thirty or forty acres; the number
of houses are one hundred and forty.
Beckenham-place is an elegant mansion, standing on an eminence, and commands a beautiful, though not an extensive
prospect. Kent-house is now occupied as a farm house.
Among other houses in this parish, the residence of gentlemen, is that of lord Auckland, near Elmer's-end, purchased
of J. A. Rucker, esq. of Joseph Cator, esq. formerly Sir
Piercy Brett's; of R.H.A. Bennet, esq. about half a mile south
east of Beckenham-street; and of Mrs. Hoare, widow of
Henry Hoare, esq. opposite the church; which two last are
the property of lord Gwydir and of Edward King, esq. F.R.S.
and F. S. A. Author of the Disseriation on antient Castles,
Morsels of Criticism, and other learned works.
PAGE 538. Sir Merrick Burrell died in 1787.
Line 5. For James read Jones Raymond.
PAGE 545. Correct the time of Mrs. Amy Burrell's
death: she died in 1789, æt. 89. It was the widow of her
son, Peter Burrell, Elizabeth, daughter of Mr. Lewis, of
Hackney, who died in 1794.
PAGE 549. The following is an extract from a more
correct list of rectors, communicated by the Rev. Mr. Denne,
|Robert Leigh||Robert Cosyn, A. M. inst. 1548.|
|John Calverley, LL.D. ins. 1561,
obt. July 31, 1576.|
|Thomas Lloyd, 1576.|
|Thomas Anyam, S. T. B. induct.
|Dalton, esq.||William Skinner, L. B. 1616,
|Robert Clissold, A. M. 1661, ob.
|William Asheton, S. T. P. inst.
1676. obt. 1711.|
|Honourable St. John, bart.||Thomas Clarke, A. B. inst. 1711.|
|William Furingneau, A.M. 1765,
|Mr. Rose.||William Rose, A.M. 1778. The
Dr. Epiphanius Holland was never rector; he served the curacy, and was
buried in this church in 1730.
PAGE 550. BROMLEY PARISH is bounded by no less
than eight others. It contains about three thousand acres of
land, of which three hundred and fifty are coppice wood,
and two hundred and fifty waste; formerly there was much
more woodland, which has been grubbed up, and converted
into tillage, near a third of the parish having been so about
the middle of the last century. There are two meetinghouses in this parish belonging to the Methodists.
Southborough is a hamlet in Bromley, in which there are several farm houses, and two larger ones; Mr. Newnham,
brother of alderman Newnham, occupies one, and Mr.
Reynolds the other.
PAGE 562. Simpson's is now occupied as a farm house.
Freeland's is a seat in this parish, the freehold of which belongs to Mrs. Asheton; but the residue of a term, granted
many years since, is now vested in Thomas Raikes, esq. deputy-governor of the Bank, who resides in it.
Bromley-college is under the management of fourteen trustees,
seven of whom are—the archbishop of Canterbury, the bishops
of London and Rochester, the archdeacon and chancellor of
the diocese, the dean of St. Paul's, and dean of the arches
for the time being; the others are elective. In Lyson's Environs, p. 320, is a beautiful engraving of the founder, bishop Warner.
PAGE 566. The church is a spacious structure, consisting of a nave and two isles, and a chancel; at the west end
is a square embattled tower, with a cupola at the top. The
north isle was rebuilt in 1792, to which bishop Thomas contributed the sum of five hundred pounds.
PAGE 568. George Norman, esq. of Bromley common,
is the present lessee of the parsonage of Bromley, whose father
married the daughter of Mr. John Innocent, the former lessee
of it. The curate, who is appointed by the bishop, receiving twenty pounds per annum out of the great tithes. John
Hawksworth, LL.D. well known from his various elegant
publications, resided in this parish, and was buried here on
November 22, 1773.
There is a charity school established at Bromley, in which
thirteen boys, and the same number of girls, are cloathed and
educated. It was established before the year 1718, and is
supported by the interest of 1000l. 3 per cents. given by different persons, an annual subscription, and the collections
made at a charity sermon. In addition to the charities, Mrs.
Eleanor Emmett, in 1739, gave a rent charge of 40s. per ann.