ADJOINING to the eastern boundary of Northfleet southward, lies Nutsted, written in Domesday,
Notestede, and in the Textus Roffensis, Hnutstede,
and at this time commonly called Nursted.
NUTSTED is a small parish, being not quite a mile
in extent each way. It lies most of it on high
ground, and has a great variety of soils, having in it
arable, orchard, and hop ground, and some woodland towards the north boundary of it, next to Northfleet parish; it joins to Meopham southward. There
are but five houses in it, viz. Nursted-court, Nurstedhill farm, at the west end of the parish, belonging to
Mr. John Colyer of Southfleet; Copthall, at the east
end; and two cottages. It is a place not much frequented, and is therefore but little known.
At the time of taking the general survey of Domesday, Nutsted was part of the vast possessions of Odo,
the great bishop of Baieux, and half brother to the
Conqueror, and it is accordingly described in it, under the general title of that prelate's lands, as follows:
Wardard holds Notestede of the bishop (of Baieux).
It was taxed for two sulings. The arable land is two
carucates. In demesne there is one, and there are four
borderers, and a church, and four servants, and wood
for the pannage of three bogs. In the time of king Edward the Confessor it was worth four pounds, when he
received it three pounds, now five pounds. Ulstan held
it of king Edward.
On the disgrace of bishop Odo, in the year 1083,
this place most probably escheated to the crown.
In the 13th year of king John, Nutstede was held,
as one knight's fee, of the barony of Arsic, being part
of those lands assigned for the defence of Dover castle,
which lands were again held of the king by barony,
as of his castle of Dover, to which the tenant of Nutsted was bound to perform ward. (fn. 1) After this, Nutsted came into the possession of the family of De
Gravesend, one of whom, Sir Stephen De Gravesend,
was owner of it in the 7th year of king Edward I. and
in the 26th year of that reign accompanied the king
to the siege of Carlaverock, in Scotland, and was present at the taking of that strong fortress. Before
which year, Richard de Gravesend, who was made
bishop of London, in 1280, appears to have possessed this manor, for he obtained a charter of free
warren to it in the 27th year of the above reign; he
died at Fulham, in 1303, and was buried in his own
cathedral. He was succeeded by his nephew and
heir, Stephen de Gravesend, who was also, in 1318,
made bishop of London; (fn. 2) he died possessed of it in
the 12th of king Edward III. and was buried in his
own cathedral likewise. His kinsman, Sir Thomas de
Gravesend became his heir in this manor, and paid
aid for it in the 20th year of king Edward III. as one
knights see, which the bishop of London before held
in Nutsted. He died in the 49th year of the above
reign, but it seems he was not then possessed of the
whole of this estate, for Sir John de Beaumont, or
De bello Monte, as this family was called in Latin,
had some share in it. After both these names were
extinct here, this manor came into the possession of
the Frowicks, in which it continued till Thomas
Frowick, by a fine, levied in the 38th year of king
Henry VI. conveyed it to Hugh Brent, in whose descendants it continued until the reign of Henry VII.
and then it was alienated to John Marten, whose descendant, William, dying without issue male, his two
daughters and coheirs, Alice and Margaret, the former of whom married John Middleton, and the latter John Rogers, entitled their respective husbands
to this manor. John Middleton alienated his moiety
to William Sedley, esq. of Southfleet, sheriff of this
county in the 1st year of king Edward VI. whose
grandson, William Sedley, of the Friers, in Aylesford,
was afterwards created a baronet in 1611. (fn. 3) He purchased the other moiety of this manor in the 20th
year of king James I. of George Rogers, M. D. (a
descendant of John Rogers before mentioned) and
Elizabeth Weston his wife, and so became possessed
of the whole see of it. (fn. 4) His son, Sir John Sedley, bart.
in 1631, conveyed this manor to the trustees of John
Adye, esq. of Doddington, who died in 1660. His
grandson, James, son of Edward Adye, esq. of Barham, in this county, afterwards became entitled to
the inheritance of it, but dying unmarried, he left his
four sisters his coheirs, Susannah married to Ruish
Wentworth, esq. Elizabeth married to William Hugessen, esq. of Provender in Norton; Dorothy; and
Rosamond married to George Elcock, esq. of Barham; and on the partition of his estates among them,
Elizabeth entitled her husband, William Hugessen,
to this manor. He had by her three sons, William,
who was of Provender; John, who was afterwards of
Stodmarsh; and Edward.
William Hugessen, esq. by settlement, gave one
moiety of this manor, with Nutsted-court and the
advowson, to his wife Elizabeth, who settled it on
their youngest son, Edward, in see, and he dying without issue and intestate, his moiety became vested in
his two brothers, William and John, who were before entitled, as heirs in gavelkind, to the other moiety of these premises on their father's death; the former of whom, about 1731, conveyed his interest in
them to his brother John, who became thereby possessed of the entire see of this manor, estate, and advowson.
John Hugessen, esq. of Stodmarsh-court, by his
second wife, Amy, daughter of William Courthope,
esq. of Stodmarsh, had two sons, William, now of
Stodmarsh, esquire; and John, since deceased; and
two daughters, Amy and Elizabeth; he, together
with Amy his wife, William and John, his sons, and
Amy and Elizabeth, his two daughters, as parties to
the deed, settled this estate, in 1759, on his second
son John, who on his father's death possessed it, (fn. 5) and
in 1767, conveyed the whole see of it to Mr. Henry
Edmeads, the present possessor of them, who now resides here.
Adjoining to the Court-lodge, at the west end,
are the ruins of an old chapel.
There are no parochial charities.
NUTSTED is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese and deanry of Rochester.
The church, which stands about a quarter of a
mile southward from Nutsted-court, is a small building, with a square tower at the west end of it. It is
dedicated to St. Mildred.
Among other monuments and memorials in it are the following: In the chancel, in the north wall, a monument with the arms
of Wentworth, a mullet for difference, impaling Adye, for Susan, wife of Ruish Wentworth, esq. sister of James Adye, of
Barham, obt. 1681. An inscription for Richard Wentworth,
esq. above mentioned, obt. 1686, leaving an only daughter and
heir. A mural monument for John Adye, esq. of Dodington,
who had by Elizabeth his first wife, daughter of Thomas Waller,
esq. of Beaconsfield, three sons and four daughters; and by his
second wife, Mary, daughter of Solomon Cole, esq. (who lies
buried at Dodington) two sons and two daughters, obt. 1660. An
inscription for Nicholas Cragg, rector of this church. (fn. 6)
In an antient valuation of the churches in this
diocese, taken in the 15th year of king Edward I.
this church of Nutsted was valued at one hundred
shillings. In the survey of ecclesiastical livings within this diocese, taken in 1650, it was returned, that
there was in this parish a parsonage presentative,
worth thirty-five pounds per annum, Mr. Adye, patron, and Mr. Jones incumbent, placed there by the
committee of plundered ministers. (fn. 7) This rectory is
a discharged living in the king's books, of the clear
yearly certified value of 30l. the yearly tenths being
9s. 6d. This rectory was augmented, about twenty
years ago, jointly with Ifield, with 200l. from queen
Anne's bounty, and the like sum from the Boteler family, which money was laid out in the purchase of
lands, &c. at Nash-street, adjoining to this parish,
though within that of Northfleet. The advowson of
this rectory has always been appendant to the manor
of Nutsted, and continues so at this time.
Church of Nutsted.
|Or by whom presented.|
|John Alchin, in 1589. (fn. 8) |
|Nicholas Cragg, in 1597. (fn. 9) |
|Andrew Bridges, A. B. instituted
1602. (fn. 10) |
|Geo. Lauder, ob. Ap. 26, 1720. (fn. 11) |
|Humphrey Tayler, obt. Dec. 12,
1732. (fn. 12) |
|John Landon, A. M. 1744, obt.
1778. (fn. 13) |
|Henry Edmeads, esq.||William Crakelt, 1778. Present
rector. (fn. 14) |