SOUTHWARD from Ightham lies SHIPBORNE,
called in the Textus Roffensis, SCRIBURNA.
THIS PARISH lies the greatest part of it below the
sand hills, and consequently in that part of this
county called the Weald. The village is situated at
a small distance southward from the foot of the hill,
round Shipborne green, having the church at the west
side of it; and about half a mile further westward,
near the boundary of the parish, is Budd's green,
On the rise of the hill is the mansion of Fairlawn, the
offices and great part of the grounds of which are
within this parish, where the soil is a clay, being a
heavy tillage land; in the southern part, at and about
the hill, it is a sand and rock stone; at the southeast part of it there is much coppice wood, a deep and
miry country at all times, most of it being exceedingly
unpleasant either to live in or to travel through.
The fair continues to be held on the day of St.
Giles the abbot, being Sept. 1, yearly.
JOHN DE SAY seems in the reign of Henry III.
to have held in Siburne, of the earl of Gloucester,
one knight's fee, and the fifth part of one, (fn. 1) which
soon afterwards passed to Adam de Bavent, the principal possessions of whose family lay in Sussex and
Adam de Bavent, in the 12th year of Edward I.
obtained a grant of free warren for his lands in Shipborne, and a market to be held weekly on a Monday,
at his manor of Shipborne, and one fair yearly on the
feast of St. Giles the abbot. In the 28th year of that
reign, he was with the king at the siege of Carlaverock, in Scotland.
Hawis, widow of Sir Roger de Bavent, his descendant, in the 36th year of king Edward III. released to
the prioress and convent of the priory of Dartford,
then newly erected, all her right, in the manor of
Shipborne, which that king by his patent of endowment, in his 46th year, confirmed to them, together
with all knights fees, and other things belonging
This manor continued part of the possessions of the
priory of Dartford till the general dissolution of it in
the reign of king Henry VIII. when it was surrendered into the king's hands, who in his 36th year
granted to Sir Ralph Fane, and Anthony Tutsham,
esq. the manor of Shipborne, late belonging to the
monastery of Dartford, and the manor of Shipborne,
alias Puttenden, lying on the east side of this parish,
next to West Peckham, and late belonging to the
monastery of Tunbridge, and the lands and chapel of
Shipborne, with all their appurtenances, &c. to hold
of the king in capite by knight's service; (fn. 2) Soon after
which Anthony Tutsham released all his right and interest in them to Sir Ralf Fane.
He had been knighted at the siege of Bulleyn in
1544, and afterwards for his valour at the battle of
Musselborough, in the 1st year of king Edward VI.
made a knight banneret; but in the 6th year of that
reign, having warmly espoused the interest of the duke
of Somerset, he was accused of being an accomplice
with him, and being found guilty was hanged on
Tower-hill, that year. After his death, without issue, these manors, together with the lands and chapel
of Shipborne, came into the possession of Henry Fane,
great grandson of Henry Fane, of Hilden, in Tunbridge, who was grandfather of Sir Ralph Fane,
Henry Fane, esq. was of Hadlow, and after the
decease of his father was unwarily drawn into that infurrection raised by Sir Thomas Wyatt, in the 1st
year of queen Mary, and being taken was committed
to the Tower and attainted, but on consideration of
his youth he had pardon, and was released from his
Next year being the 1st and 2d of Philip and Mary,
he had a grant of these manors, and chapel of Ship
borne, from the queen, to hold to him and his heirs,
by the same services, by which they were held before
his attainder. He died in 1582, the 25th year of
queen Elizabeth, possessed at the time of his death,
as appears by the inquisition then taken of these
Henry Fane, his grandson, assumed the name of
Vane, the antient one of his ancestors, which his posterity have continued to use ever since.
In the 17th year of king James I. he was knighted
at Whitehall, from which time he acted a conspicuous
part in the public affairs of this nation, and was chosen to sit in every succeeding parliament, both in that
and the next reign. King Charles I. entrusted him
much in different negociations with foreign princes,
made him cofferer of his houshold, and of his privy
council, and in 1632 one of the commissioners for
executing the office of lord high admiral. He was
afterwards much employed in commissions of the
greatest weight, with others of the highest office and
quality, and was made comptroller of the houshold,
at which time he purchased of Sir George Chowne,
THE MANSION OF FAIRLAWN, with the lands belonging to it, situated in the borough of Plaxtool, in
Wrotham and this parish. (fn. 3) After which he was made
treasurer of the king's houshold, and principal secretary of state, and empowered to hold those two offices
But not long after, on his appearing forward in the
prosecution of the earl of Strafford, who had implacably offended him, by obtaining the title of baron
Raby, which was Sir Henry's house, and an honor
which he had hopes of acquiring himself, the king
took such umbrage at it, that he removed him from
all his places, and Sir Henry from that time concurred
in all the malicious designs of the king's enemies, and
forgetting all former obligations, sacrificed every
principle of honor and loyalty to his implacable thirst
of revenge; but in the end, finding himself growing
into the hatred and contempt of those who had made
most use of him, as well as of his own son, (fn. 4) he retired
to his seat of Raby-castle, in the bishopric of Durham, where he died in the latter end of the year 1654.
He left several sons and daughters, of whom Henry
became his heir, and George was of Long Melford, in
Durham. (fn. 5)
Henry Vane, esq. succeeded his father in his estate,
in Shipborne. He had been knighted at Whitehall
in 1640, but from his education at Geneva had imbibed such a sharp prejudice and bitterness, as well
against regal government as the hierarchy of the
church, and this being heightened by the king's giving
away the barony of Raby from his family, that following his inclination, he associated with the most discontented persons of that time, so that he became one
of the most inveterate of the independent and republican faction. He had been made by the king joint
treasurer of the navy, by the interest of the earl of
Northumberland, during which he affected to be satisfied with government, and afterwards, when his
real inclinations came to be more openly known, he
was intrusted with the same office solely by the appointment of the parliament. On the restoration of
king Charles II. being excepted out of the general
pardon, he was committed to prison, where he was
kept some time, and at length being brought to his
trial, he was convicted of high treason, and receiving
sentence of death, was executed on Tower-hill in
1662. Thomas Vane, esq. his eldest son, succeeded
his father in his estates in this parish. He married
Frances, daughter of Sir Thomas Liddel, of Ravensworth, in Durham, and died without issue, on which
his estates devolved to his brother Christopher Vane,
esq. who was of Fairlawn, and was afterwards knighted by Charles II. In 1688, he was made by king
James of his privy council, and in the 10th year of
king William III. anno 1699, created lord Barnard,
of Barnard castle, in the bishopric of Durham. (fn. 6)
He married Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Gilbert
Holles, earl of Clare, and sister and coheir of John,
duke of Newcastle, by whom he left surviving two
sons, Gilbert and William, and a daughter Grace.
He died at his seat of Fairlawn, in 1723, and was buried in the new church of Shipborne, built by his own
bounty. On which Gilbert, his eldest son, succeeded
him in title, and in his estates in the north, and William, his second son, became possessed of his father's
estates in Shipborne, Plaxtool, and elsewhere in this
The arms of the several branches of the Fanes, or
Vanes, are three gauntlets, though differently borne.
The earl of Westmoreland bears, Azure, three dexter
gauntlets, with their backs affrontee, or; as did the lord
viscount Fane, a descendant of the same branch.
The earl of Darlington bears, Azure, three sinister
gauntlets, with their backs affrontee, or. And lord viscount Vane bore, Azure, three sinister gauntlets, or,
on a canton ermine, a pile sable, charged with a mullet
of five points, argent.
William Vane, esq. the second son, was of Fairlawn, and was chosen to serve in parliament for Durham, in the year 1708, and in 1720 was created viscount Vane, and baron of Duncannon, of Tyrone, in
Ireland. He died suddenly of an apoplexy at Fairlawn, May 20, 1734, having on the Friday before, the
17th, been declared duly elected to serve in parliament for this county, and was buried in Shipborne
church. Upon which, William Hollis Vane, his only
surviving son, became his father's heir, and succeeded
him in titles and estate. He married Frances, daughter of Francis Hawes, esq. one of the South Sea directors in 1720, and widow of lord William Hamilton, younger brother of James, duke of Hamilton,
by whom he had no issue, and dying in 1789, by his
will gave these manors, his seat of Fairlawn, and the
rectory of the chapel of Shipborne, among his other
estates to David Papillon, esq. of Acrise, the present
possessor of them.
BUDDS is a hamlet in this parish, lying about three
quarters of a mile westward from Shipborne church,
where a family of the name of Collins formerly dwelt.
Henry Collins resided here in the reigns of king
Henry VIII. king Edward VI. queen Mary, and
queen Elizabeth, and dying in the 35th year of the
latter, was buried in this church. His eldest son,
Richard Collins, gent. was likewise of Budds. They
bore for their arms, Vert, a griffin segreant, or, beaked
argent, gorged with a coronet of the third. How long
it continued afterwards in this name I have not found,
but John Turner, gent. in the reign of king James I.
resided at Budds, and bore for his arms, Argent and
ermine, three fer de molins, or, a pale counterchanged in
fess, on a chief, or, a lion passant guardant between two
roses. It is now the property of George Children,
esq. of Tunbridge.
FRANCIS COLLINS, by will in 1599, gave for the use of the
poor the annual sum of 1l. charged on the house called the Bull
inn, in Rochester, and 2l. likewise on lands in Gillingham,
vested in Mr. Page.
N. B. This last pays the land tax, and the two bequests by
journeys, expences, &c. reduces them to the annual produce
of 2l. 7s. 6d.
JOHN SWAN gave by will 10l. and his executors by deed in
1614, purchased with it an annuity of 10s. for the use of the
poor, charged on lands in this parish, vested in the heirs of
John Bellingham, lately deceased, and now of that annual
STEPHEN FREMLYN, by will in 1717, gave by deed, for
the use of the poor, the annual sum of 1l. to be paid out of
lands and tenements in this parish, vested in Mr. William Collias, and now of that annual produce.
SHIPBORNE is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDISCTION of the diocese of Rochester, and deanry of
The church is dedicated to St. Giles, and is a neat
fabric. It was entirely rebuilt from the ground by
the bounty of Christopher, lord Barnard, in the beginning of this century.
It was antiently esteemed as a chapel to the church
of Tunbridge, and paid six-pence chrism rent to the
mother church of the diocese.
John, bishop of Rochester, in the 7th year of king
Edward II. certified to the king's treasurer and barons
of the exchequer, in obedience to the king's writ, directed to him for that purpose, that the prior of the
hospital of St. John of Jerusalem had within his diocese the appropriation of the church of Tonebregge,
with the chapels of Schibourne and St. Thomas the
Martyr, which was worth yearly thirty-four marcs,
being part of the antient possessions of that hospital,
and upon a like writ in the 20th year of Edward III.
Hamo, bishop of Rochester, certified to the king's
treasurer, &c. a like return. (fn. 7)
The chapel of Shipborne belonged to that part of
their revenues which was under the cognizance of their
preceptory or commendary of Peckham, otherwise
called the chantry magistrale in this neighbourhood,
and it remained part of the possessions of the abovementioned hospital till the time of its dissolution in
the 32d year of king Henry VIII. when this order of
knights was suppressed by an act then specially passed
for that purpose, by which all their lands and revenues, &c. were given to the king and his heirs for
ever. After which the king, in his 36th year, granted
to Sir Ralph Fane, and Anthony Tutsham, esq.
among other premises in this parish, the lands and
chapel of Shipborne, with their appurtenances, in fee,
to hold in capite by knight's service. (fn. 8) Soon after
which, Anthony Tutsham released all his interest in
them to Sir Ralph Fane, in whose family they continued, as has been already fully related in the account
of the manor of Shipborne, down to William Holles
viscount Vane, who devised them by will to David
Papillon, esq. the present owner of them.
This chapel is now esteemed as a curacy, and is not
in charge in the king's books. It pays a fee-farm rent
of eight shillings yearly to the crown.
Chapel of Shipborne.
|Or by whom presented.|
|Family of Fane, alias Vane . .||Bowles, in 1627. (fn. 9) |
|Scott, in 1680.|
|Theophilus Beck, 1690.|
|William Davis, in 1721, obt.
Jan. 29, 1747. (fn. 10) |
|Leonard Addison, M. A. (fn. 11) |
|John Francis, M. A. (fn. 12) |
|— Hemington. (fn. 13) |
|Henry Austen, M. A. (fn. 14) |
|— Knox. (fn. 15) |
|David Papillon, esq.||Vicesimus Knox, the present
curate. (fn. 16) |