COMMONLY called Warde, lies northward from
Bobbing last-described, the parish of Milton intervening, the greatest part of which lies within that hundred,
over which that manor claims as paramount. The remaining, or eastern part of it is within the hundred of
Tenham, and the lands in it are held of that manor.
THIS PARISH lies very low, and on a level with the
adjoining marshes, the situation and look of it is not
unlike the sens in Lincolshire. It is hardly known, excepting to those who travel towards the Isle of Shepey,
to which the road leads through this parish over the
marshes to the King's ferry, from which the village,
with the church, stand at about a mile distance, and
about two from the town of Milton north-westward.
There are sixteen houses in it, and about sixty or seventy inhabitants. The lands are very even and flat,
of a soft boggy nature, almost all of them are pasture
ground and marshes, which have great quantities of
sheep continually seeding on them. Dr. Plot remarks
that the sheep never rot in the marshes of this parish,
but that in those of Tenham they do, the sheep having
in their livers little animals breeding in the shape of
plaise, occasioned, as it is believed, by their feeding on
the herb spearwort, which grows there plentifully among
the grass. Its low and moist situation close to so large
a tract of marshes and the waters of the Swale, which
are its northern boundary, render it hardly ever free
from fogs and noisome vapours, and in summer in dry
weather, the stench of the mud in the ponds and ditches,
and the badness of the water, contribute so much to its
unwholesomeness, that almost every one is terrified
from attempting to live in it, and it is consequently but
very thinly inhabited. It has been remarked that the
thatch on the roofs of buildings in this parish cannot
be preserved long, the rooks and other birds continually carrying it away, which circumstance arises from
the quantity of flies harbouring in it, owing to its situation, much more than in other places; and it is for
the sake of these flies that the birds unthatch the buildings. There is some land in this parish called Swain's
Down, a name plainly of Danish original, and there are
still the vestigia of some antient fortifications or works
thrown up, remaining on it.
HELMES, or Holmes, now vulgarly called Soames,
is a manor which lies partly in this parish, and partly in
Milton; the house of it being commonly called the
Moated House, from a large moat having been formerly
made round it.
This manor was antiently part of the possessions of
the family of Savage, seated at Bobbing, one of which,
Arnold, son of Sir Thomas Savage, died possessed of it
in the 49th year of king Edward III. After which it
continued in his descendants of the names of Savage
and Clifford, in like manner as Bobbing, down to
Alexander Clifford, esq. who resided at this manor of
Holmes, during his father's life-time, at whose death
he removed to Bobbing; at length his descendant
Henry Clifford, esq. of Bobbing, in the reign of queen
Elizabeth, alienated it to Thomas Thomson, of Sandwich, whose descendant, of the same name, leaving
two sons, Thomas, of Kenfield in Petham, and Henry
of Royton-chapel, in Lenham, the latter of them became by his father's will possessed of this manor. After
which it passed in the same tract of ownership as Royton, (fn. 1) till it was sold with that estate to Thomas Best,
esq. of Chilston, who by will in 1795, gave it with his
other estates in this county to his nephew George Best,
esq. of Chilston, and he has lately sold it to Mr. Joseph Rond Davies, the present owner of it.
John Bunce, of Milton, linen-draper, by his will in 1681,
left to the poor of this parish 40s. chargeable on an estate at
Iwade, belonging to Mr. John Murton, of Goodnestone, to be
distributed among them by the churchwardens on St. John's
The poor constantly relieved are about eight, casually not
more than one or two.
IWADE is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of
The church, which is dedicated to All Saints, is a
small neat building, consists of two isles and two chancels, having a low pointed steeple, in which are two
bells. There is some good painted glass in the windows of it.
It was formerly esteemed as a chapel to the church
of Tenham, and as such, was given and appropriated
with it to the archdeaconry of Canterbury, by archbishop Stephen Langton, in 1227.
George Hall, archdeacon of Canterbury, in his lease
of this parsonage granted in 1560, reserved the sum of
eight pounds per annum, to be paid by the lessee as an
augmentation to this curacy.
The abbot and convent of St. Augustine was possessed of the portion of tithes of Colesland, in this parish,
which Thomas, curate of this parish, released all his
right to, before Selfrid, bishop of Chichester, in the
year 1202, anno 4 of king John. (fn. 2)
It is now a perpetual curacy, and is of the yearly
certified value of eight pounds.
In 1730 it was augmented by lot, by the governors
of queen Anne's bounty, with two hundred pounds, and
again by them in 1766 with the like sum. It was afterwards augmented with two hundred pounds more,
on a distribution of the like sum from Mrs. Ursula
Taylor's legacy, paid to them by Sir Philip Boteler,
bart. which, with two hundred pounds since added, has
been laid out by the present Incumbent in the freehold
purchase, in the parish of Borden, about three miles
from Iwade, the annual rent of which is now twentyeight pounds. (fn. 3)
The archdeacon of Canterbury is patron and appropriator of it.
Church of Iwade.
|Or by whom presented.|
|The Archdeacon of Canterbury||Thomas Morland, admitted 1708.|
|Charles Hinde, A. M. ob. 1751. (fn. 4) |
|Thomas Leigh, A. M. 1751. (fn. 5) |
|Francis Gregory, A. M. 1751,
|Osmund Beauvoit, 1766, S. T. P.
|J. Lough, 1790, the present curate.|