IS another small island adjoining to that of Shepey
south eastward. opposite to Leysdown. It adjoins to the
island of Emley towards the west, being separated both
from that and the island of Shepey by a very small narrow water; on the south side of it is the water called
the Swale, which slows between it and the main land
of the county. It is about two miles in length, and one
and an half in breadth, and consists of one parish, of
the same name as the island itself. It is within the
bounds of the hundred of Faversham, and a borsholder
is annually chosen for the borough of it (which extends
over the whole island) at the court-leet for that manor
and hundred; but being in a manner part of the island
of Shepey, the description of it seems more proper to
be inserted here, than to be deserred to the description
of that hundred hereafter.
It is called in antient records Harteigh, which name
seems to be derived from the Saxon words Heord-tu,
which signifies the island filled with herds of cattle, a
name well suited to the antient and present state of it.
The island lies opposite to the parish of Ore on the
main land of the county, the waters of the Swale slowing between them, over which there is a ferry. The grounds
sengers and cattle, called Harty ferry. The grounds
are entirely pasture, on which are constantly feeding
about 4000 sheep. The centure of it is rising ground.
The church stands nearly in the middle of it. There is
no village, and only six lookers cottages in the whole
of it, these people, about twenty in number, being the
only inhabitants, the unhealthiness of the air deterring
all others from attempting to dwell in it. About twothird of the island are the property of Mr. Sawbridge.
It appears by the pleas of the crown, in the 21st year
of king Edward I. taken before the justices itinerant,
that there was formerly a bridge leading from hence
into Shepey, then called Tremseth bridge, which had
been broken down by a violent inundation of the sea,
and the channel thereby made so deep, that a new one
could not be laid; and therefore the inhabitants of
Shepey, who before repaired it, maintained in the room
of it two ferry-boats, to carry passengers to and fro.
There is now no bridge here, and the fleet which
divided this island from that of Shepey is become so
very narrow, and has for several years past been so
much filled up, that, excepting at high tides and overflow of the waters, Harty has ceased to have any appearance of an island. There is no highway duty, and
scarce any roads in it.
THE MANOR OF HARTY, otherwise Saye's court,
was, in the reign of king Henry III. part of the possessions of the family of Champion, who wrote themselves
in Latin, De Campania, and were seated at Champions
court, in Newnham. Robert de Campania held this
manor in the above reign, as half a knight's see, of
John de St. John. (fn. 1) his descendant John de Campania
died possessed of it in the reign of Edward II. and king
Edward III. in his 1st year, directed his writ to Robert
de Kendal, late constable of Dover castle, &c. to restore to the lady of the island of Herty, sister of Thomas Roscelyn, her lands forfeited in Kent, in the reign
of his father, on account of the prosecutions of Hugh
le Despencer, the elder and younger. They lest three
daughters and coheirs, of whom Catherine married
Robert Corbet, and Thomasine married Thomas Chevin.
They divided his estates among them, but to
whom this manor passed, I have not found; but the
next name that I have discovered to be possessed of it,
was Whalley, whose heirs sold it to Cheney, in which
name it continued to Sir Thomas Chency, knight of
the garter, &c. who died possessed of it in the 1st year
of queen Elizabeth, as will be further mentioned hereafter.
ANOTHER ESTATE in this island, called LE LONG
HOUSE, was parcel of the possessions of the abbey of
Faversham, of whom it was held as part of a knight's
fee, by John de Criol, (fn. 2) in the reign of Edward I. as it
was afterwards by the family of Champion, or De Campania, one of whom, John de Campania possessed it
in the reign of king Edward II. whose widow Mary
paid aid for it in the 20th year of that reign, as parcel
of the manor of Westwood.
After which this estate passed into the family of Poynings, whose heir-general, Alianore, daughter of Richard de Poynings, carried it in marriage to Sir Henry
Percy, lord Percy, afterwards earl of Northumberland,
in whose descendants it continued till at length it was
alienated to Cheney, and Sir Thomas Cheney, knight
of the garter, &c. died possessed of it in the 1st year of
queen Elizabeth, as will be further mentioned hereafter.
THE MOTE was another part of Harty manor, and
was parcel of the estate in this island belonging to the
family of Champion likewise, which was carried in
marriage by Thomasine, daughter and one of the coheirs of John de Campania or Champion, in the reign
of king Edward III. to Thomas Chevin, of Sholand,
in Newnham, in whose descendants it continued down
to John Chevin, who, in the 3d year of queen Elizabeth, by conveyance and fine, sold it to Mr. Thomas
Paramour, by the description of a manor and lands,
in the parish of St. Thomas, in the isle of Harty, of
the fee of William, marquis of Winchester, capital
lord of it.
But it being alledged by John Chevin, that he was
under age at the time of the before-mentioned alienation, the fine was reversed, and he having again passed
it away in the mean time to John Kyne and Simon
Lowe; they, in the 13th year of that reign, brought
a writ of right for the recovery of it against Thomas
Paramour, but they were nonsuited, and the desendant
was confirmed in his possession of it by the court.
Upon this writ of right a trial by battle was demanded
by Paramour, and awarded by the court, of which a
pompous account is given in our law books, much too
long for insertion here. It is sufficient to inform the
reader, that the champions of each party, properly accourtred, met, at the appointed time, in Tothill-fields,
Westminster, before the justices of the court of common
pleas, who were to be judges of the duel (when upwards of 4000 people were present); where, after
much formal solemnity, and proclamation being made,
the non-appearance of the demandants, Kyne and
Lowe, was recorded, and a nonsuit prayed, which was
made, and the land was adjudged to Paramour, with
costs of suit: for the queen had so ordered, that they
were not to fight; but every part of this form was adjudged necessary to ascertain the desendant's right; and
the judges themselves would, no doubt, have been well
pleased to have ousted the parties of this barbarous method of trial, had the custom warranted them so to do,
and it shews how much the example of it was disliked,
since the queen thought fit to interpose and accommodate the matter; and this is one of the last instances in
our books of battle joined in a writ of right. (fn. 3) How
long this estate continued in the name of Paramour, I
do not find; but it seems to have been in the possession
of Henry, lord Cheney, in the 12th year of queen Elizabeth, as will be further mentioned hereafter.
THE ABBOT AND CONVENT OF FAVERSHAM, besides the fee held of them as before-mentioned, were in
the possession of an estate here called ABBATS-COURT,
and in the reign of Henry VII. their tenant of it was
Thomas Colepeper, esq. but it did not continue in the
possession of that monastery till the final dissolution of
it, for king Henry VIII. in his 29th year, granted his
licence to John, then abbot of Faversham, to alienate
this manor of Abbots-court and its appurtenances, to
Sir Thomas Cheney, knight of the garter, &c. in this
parish, and he died possessed of this estate in the 1st
year of queen Elizabeth, holding it at the yearly sum
of forty shillings and eight-pence, in the name of
tenths, as will be further mentioned hereafter.
THE DEAN AND CANONS of the collegiate chapel of
St. Stephen, in Westminster, were possessed of an estate
in this island called PERY MARSH, which they continued in the possession of till the 1st year of king Edward VI.'s reign, when this chapel being dissolved,
among others, by the act then passed, all the lands and
possessions of it were surrendered up into the king's
hands, (fn. 4) where it did not remain long, for the king in
his 3d year, granted it, among other premises, to Sir
Thomas Cheney, knight of the garter, &c. beforementioned, to hold in capite by knight's service, and he
died possessed of it in the 1st year of queen Elizabeth's
reign, as will be further mentioned hereafter.
The Benedictine nunnery of Davington was possessed
of lands in this parish, as well as the church or parsonage of Harty; the former, in the 17th year of
king Edward III. consisted of one hundred and forty
acres of pasture, which were then valued, over and
above the chief rent paid for it, fifteen pounds yearly.
This nunnery being left without prioress or nuns,
escheated to the crown in the 27th year of Henry VIII.
and this estate in Harty remained there, till the king,
in his 35th year, granted it, among other possessions of
the nunnery, to Sir Thomas Cheney, knight of the
garter, &c. to hold in capite by knight's service, and
he died possessed of it in the 1st year of queen Elizabeth, as will be further taken notice of hereafter.
Sir Thomas Cheney dying possessed of all the beforementioned manors and estates in the 1st year of queen
Elizabeth, as has been mentioned before, under the
several descriptions of them, was succeeded in them by
his son and heir Henry Cheney, esq. afterwards knighted
and created Lord Cheney of Tuddington, who had
possession granted of them in the 3d year of that reign,
and that year levied a fine of all his lands.
After which he, together with Jane his wife, anno
12 Elizabeth, by conveyance and fine levied, alienated
the manor of Harty, and the rectory of St. Thomas
the Apostle, in the isle of Hartye, called Stanger, alias
Stangarde, alias the parsonage of Hartie, together with
the advowson and right of patronage of the vicarage;
and the manor or farm called Abbattes court, with Pery
marsh, and the farm called the Long House, and the tenement called the Mote, with all their lands and appurtenances in this island, and all other premises in it,
which the above-mentioned Sir Thomas Cheney was
possessed of in it, at the time of his death, or which
Henry Cheney, or Jane his wife had a right to in it,
to the use of Richard Thornhill, esq.
His grandson alienated that part of the above-mentioned premises called Abbats court, since known by the
name of Hall farm, with Pery marsh, and other lands,
to Robert Cole, esq. who in 1662 settled this estate
on his sole daughter and heir Jane, on her marriage
with Sir Thomas Darcy, of St. Clere hall, in Effex,
who had been created a baronet in 1660, (fn. 5) he afterwards sold it to Mr. Thomas French, who by his will
devised it to be sold, and it was purchased in 1701 by
Thomas Clark, merchant, of London, whose heirs
sold it in 1765 to Mr. Thomas Buck, of Faversham,
on whose death in 1779, it became the property of his
son of the same name, who is the present possessor of
it. This estate claims and exemption from the payment
of all king of tithes.
BUT THE REMAINING PART of the several estates
of Henry, lord Cheney, continued in the descendants
of Richard Thornhill, esq. down to Richard Thornhill, esq. of Ollantigh, who in the fourth year of
queen Anne, anno 1704, having obtained an act for
that purpose, sold the manor of Harty, the rectory or
parsonage of the church, and the advowson of the vicarage, the estate called the Long House, the Mote, since
called the Church farm, a farm called Elliots, a parcel
of marshlands called Napletons, with divers lands,
marshes, &c. part of the above-described premises, to
Mr. Jacob Sawbridge, of London, who died possessed
of them in 1748, and his great grandson, Samuel-Elias
Sawbridge, esq. of Ollantigh, in this county, is the
present possessor of them.
The company of oyster dredgers of Faversham hire
of Mr. Sawbridge, the right or privilege of laying oysters on some part of the shore of this island, and the
like of Mr. Buck on another part of it.
There are no parochial charities. The poor constantly relieved are about six, casually three.
HARTY is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of
The church, which is a small building, consisting of
a body, chancel, and two side chantries, with a pointed
turret at the west end, is dedicated to St. Thomas the
Apostle. It was formerly part of the possessions of the
Benedictine nunnery of Davington, to which it was appropriated before the 8th year of king Richard II. anno
1384, and it continued part of the possessions of it at
the time of its escheating to the crown in the reign of
Henry VIII. when it was esteemed as a parsonage appropriate, with the advowson of the vicarage of the
church annexed. It was afterwards granted to Sir
Thomas Cheney, and by his son Henry sold to Richard
Thornhill, esq. whose descendant sold it to Jacob Sawbridge, esq. whose great-grandson, Samuel-Elias Sawbridge, esq. of Ollantigh, is now entitled to it, of all
which a more ample account has already been given.
In the 35th year of Henry VIII. the yearly stipend
to the curate of Harty was 6l. 13s. 4d.
This church is set down in the king's books as a
rectory, and valued at 20l. 6s. 0½d. the tenths of
which, being 2l. 0s. 7¼d. are paid to the crown receiver, and not to the archbishop. The cure of it has
been many years esteemed as a vicarage; the vicar has
a stipend of twenty pounds per annum paid to him, in
lieu of tithes, and divine service is performed here, except in very severe weather, once in a fortnight.
In 1578 there were communicants here forty-seven;
in 1640 communicants fifty.
Church of Harty.
|Or by whom presented.|
|John Sawbridge, esq.||Wanley Sawbridge, 1760, obt.
1796. (fn. 6) |
|Samuel Elias Sawbridge, esq.||Mordaunt Leathes, 1796, the