TENHAM, called in Saxon, Teynham, and now
frequently written so, is the next parish south-eastward
from Bapchild, and gives name to the hundred in
which it is situated.
THE MANOR, which comprehends the hundred of
Tenham, was given by Cenulph, king of Mercia, at
the request of archbishop Athelard, by the description
of twelve ploughlands, lying at Tenham, to the metropolitan church of our Saviour at Canterbury; and
he made this gift chiefly on account of the archbishop's
having given to him in recompence, twelve ploughlands lying at Cregesemeline, which king Offa formerly gave to one of his earls, named Uffa; and the
king granted this land to the church of Christ, free
from all secular service, except the repairing of bridges
and the building of castles.
The above place, called Creges Emeline, has been
understood to mean the fleet, or pool of water between
the islands of Emley and Harty, in Shepey, now and
long since called Crogs-depe, which water parts the
royalty of the Swale between Tenham and Faversham,
and is likewise the bounds of the hundreds of Middleton and Faversham. (fn. 1)
This manor continued part of the possessions of the
church of Canterbury when archbishop Lansranc came
to the see in the year 1070, being the 5th of the Conqueror's reign: and on the division which he soon afterwards made of the revenues of his church, between
himself and his convent, Tenham was allotted to the
archbishop and his successors, for their provision and
After which the succeeding archbishops so far improved the buildings of this manor-house, as to make
it fit for their frequent residence.
Archbishop Hubert Walter, a most magnificent prelate; the expence of whose housekeeping was esteemed
nearly equal to that of the king, resided much at Tenham, where he died in the year 1205, and was carried
from thence and buried in his own cathedral at Canterbury.
Archbishop Boniface, anno 44 Henry III. 1259,
obtained both a market and fair for his manor of Tenham, the former on a Tuesday weekly, and the latter
to continue for three days yearly at the Assumption of the
Virgin Mary. Archbishop Walter Reynolds was resident here in the beginning of the winter of the year
1325, one of his instruments being dated from hence.
Archbishop John Stratford, who filled the see in the
reign of Edward III. entertained that prince here in the
month of February, anno 1345, being the 19th of his
reign, several of his letters patent bearing date from
Tenham in that time.
The manor of Tenham remained part of the see of
Canterbury, so far as I have learned, till the reign of
queen Elizabeth, (fn. 2) when it was exchanged with the
crown for other premises, where it lay till James I.
in his 5th year, granted it to John Roper, esq. of the
adjoining parish of Linsted, whom he afterwards, in
the 14th year of his reign, knighted and created lord
Teynham, in whose successors, lords Teynham, the
property of this manor has continued down to the Right
Hon. Henry Roper, the twelsth lord Teynham, who
is the present possessor of it. A court baron is held
for this manor.
There are several different customs of the tenants of
this manor, principally in the Weald, mentioned in
FROGENHALL, usually called Frognall, is a manor
situated near the marshes, in the western part of this
parish, about half a mile northward of the great London road. It is frequently written in antient records
and deeds, Frogenball Valence, by which name Leland
likewise distinguishes it in his Itinerary, stilling it in the
margin, Frogenable Valaunce, and says, "The maner
of Frogenhale, communely callid Frogenolle, yoinith
to the quarteres of Thong castelle, in Kent, by Sidingburne, and is of a XLV li. rent by yere: of this very
auncient house was a knight that did great feates in
France, and is written of—Frogenhalle, that is now,
was sunne to one of the Sainct John's doughters, the
beste of that stokke: and this Sainct John of Bedforde
or Northamptonshir, had VI or VII daughters, that
after were very welle maried." By this addition it
should seem once to have belonged to the respectable
family of Valence, or De Valentia, two of whom were
successively earls of Pembroke, from the reign of king
Henry III. to that of king Edward II. when it became
extinct. In the next reign of Edward III. it was come
into the possession of a family, to which it gave both
name and residence; for Richard de Frogenhall resided here, and died possessed of it in the 33d year of
that reign. In whose descendants residents here, who
bore for their arms, Argent, three bars, sable, as they
are still remaining in the windows of the Frognall
chancel, in this church, and are carved in stone on the
roof of Canterbury cloysters, it continued down to
Thomas Frogenhall, who leaving no male issue by
Joane his wife, daughter and heir of William de Apulderfield, his daughter and heir Anne carried this manor
in marriage to Thomas Quadring, of London, who
bore for his arms, Ermine, a fess engrailed, gules, and
he in like manner leaving one sole daughter Joane, his
heir, she entitled her husband, Richard Driland, of
Cooksditch, in Faversham, to the possession of it. By
her, who was by his first wife, for by his second he
seems to have left issue likewise, he had only one
daughter Katherine, who became heir to her mother's
inheritance, and marrying with Reginald Norton, esq.
of Lees court, in Sheldwich, he in her right became
possessed of it, at the latter end of the reign of king
Henry VII. (fn. 3) His son, Sir John Norton, of Northwood, seems to have sold this manor to Sir Thomas
Wyatt, who in the 33d year of king Henry VIII.
passed away the manor of Froggynhale Valence, among
other premises, to the king (who seems to have been
in the possession of it two years before) in exchange for
other manors and lands, pursuant to an act passed for
that purpose the year before.
It continued but a small time in the hands of the
crown; for the king, in his 37th year, granted it to
Thomas Green, to hold in capite by knight's service.
He was usually stiled Thomas Norton, alias Green,
being the natural son of Sir John Norton before-mentioned, the former possessor of this manor. He died
in the 6th year of king Edward VI. leaving two sons,
Norton Green, who left an only daughter and heir,
married to Sir Mark Ive, of Effex, and Robert Green,
gent. who was of Bobbing, whose descendants settled
in Ireland; on his death this manor descended to his
eldest son Norton Green, and again by the marriage of
his only daughter and heir to Sir Mark Ive, who was
owner of it in the reign of king James I. Soon after
which it was alienated to Ralph Clerke, esq. who refided at Frognall, where he died in 1619, and was buried in this church. His son, Ralph Clerke, esq. likewise resided here at the latter end of king Charles I.'s
reign, being firmly attached to the king's interest, for
which he suffered much, his estates in 1652 being declared by parliament to be forfeited for treason against
the estate. However, at the reformation, he became
again possessed of them, and this manor continued in
his descendants until the 9th year of queen Anne's reign,
when Geo. Clerke, esq. the possessor of it, having obtained an act for that purpose, sold it to Mr. Joseph
Taylor, merchant, of London, who by his will devised
it to his nephew Joseph Taylor, esq. of Sandford, near
Great Tew, in Oxfordshire, who had been sheriff of
that county, and he died possessed of it in 1733, having
by his will given it to his brother William Taylor, esq.
whose eldest son, James Taylor, esq. of Sandford, is
the present owner of it. He bears for his arms, Quarterly, argent and sable, a cross story counterchanged, in the
first quarter, a ducal coronct, gules. There is no court
held for this manor.
Archbishop Hubert Walter, who sat in the see of
Canterbury at the latter end of king Richard I. and
the begining of king John's reign, in his general confirmation of the possessions of St. Gregory's priory at
Canterbury, confirmed to it the tenth of wine at Tenham, a kind of donation which appears by others of
the like kind to other religious houses, to have been
esteemed at that time of no small value.
TENHAM OUTLANDS, alias NEW-GARDENS, is an
estate in this parish adjoining to the north side of the London road at Greenstreet, which was part of the demesne
lands of the manor of Tenham, and part of the possessions of the Ropers, lords Teynham, but in 1714 it
had been alienated from that family, and was become
the property of Sir Robert Furnese, bart. of Waldershare. After which it descended in like manner as his
other estates in this county, as may be seen hereafter
more at large under Waldershare, to his daughter (by
his second wife) Catherine, countess of Rockingham,
who afterwards remarried with Francis North, earl of
Guildford, by whom she had no issue, and dying in
1766, gave by her will this, among the rest of her
estates, to him and his grandson, the right honourable
George Augustus, earl of Guildford, the present possessor of it.
ON THE SOUTHERN SIDE of the London road, and
at the south-east boundary of this parish, adjoining to
Norton, is a small hamlet of houses, called LEWSONSTREET, in which there is a capital messuage called
Lewson house, which was formerly the estate and residence of a branch of the family of Adye, and several
coats of arms of them and their marriages, in painted
glass, were remaining in the windows of it till within
these few years. Nicholas Adye, esq. resided here in
the reign of king James I. on whose death it became
the property of his three daughters, by Jane his wife,
daughter of Thomas Sare, esq. of Provender, Sarah,
wife of John Kennet, and Anne and Martha Adye,
who in 1638, alienated this estate, by a joint conveyance, to Mr. James Tong, from which name it passed
by sale, in 1676, to Sir James Bunce, bart. of Kemsing,
whose eldest surviving son Sir James Bunce, of Kemsing, alienated it in 1714, to Mr. Joseph Hasted, gent.
of Chatham, whose grandson, Edward Hasted, esq. of
Canterbury, sold it in 1787, to Henry Prat, esq. of
Harbledown. He died in 1794. leaving one daughter
Mary, (who afterwards married John Scott, esq. of
Newry, in the kingdom of Ireland) and his widow
surviving; he by will devised it to his widow for life,
and afterwards to his said daughter, and they have lately
sold the same to Mr. Walker, of Sittingbourn, who is
the present possessor of it.
THE LOWER SIDE of the hamlet of Greenstreet, at
the 43d mile stone on the high London road, is within
this parish, the whole of which, (excepting the small part
at the south-east corner, which stretches up to Norton,
as has been already mentioned before) lies on the
northern side of the road, where about a mile northward of Greenstreet, on a small rise, is the church, and
a little further below it the village of Tenham, not far
from which are the marshes, which reach to the waters
of the Swale, and are the boundaries of this parish on
that side. On a small creek in these marshes is Conyers key, much used for the shipping of corn and goods
from this part of the county, near which there is an
oil mill established, lately belonging to the Best's.
The air of this place is very unhealthy, for lying so
low, and near so large a tract of marshes, it is much
subject to unwholesome air arising from them, so that
the inhabitants, are almost always subject to agues and
intermittents, and are, in general, but very shortlived.
This has been the occasion of that well-known proverb
in this part of the county,
He that will not live long,
Let him dwell at Murston, Tenham or Tong.
It is situated in a fine level country, the fields of
which are large, and the land exceedingly rich and sertile, like that in the neighbouring parishes in this extensive
vale, most of it being what is called in these
parts round tilt land, such as has already been described
in the adjoining parishes of Bapchild and Tong. It was
formerly noted for large plantations of fruit trees; but
these are mostly displanted, many of them to make way
for hops, of which there are several kindly plantations
in different parts of it.
Lambarde says, that this parish, with thirty others
lying on each side of the great road from Rainham to
Blean-wood, was in his time the cherry-garden and apple-orchard of Kent, and such it undoubtedly continued
till within memory. Tenham, he says, was the parent
from whence the other plantations issued: for Richard
Hayns, fruiterer to king Henry VIII. having observed
that those plants, which had been brought over by our
Norman ancestors, had lost their native excellence by
length of time, and that we were served from foreign
parts with these fruits on that account, which he saw
no reason for, as neither the soil nor climate here were
unequal to the bringing of them to perfection, determined to try a plantation of them here; for which purpose, having, in 1533, obtained one hundred and five
acres of rich land, then called the Brennet, and having,
with great care, good choice, and no small labour and
cost, brought plants from beyond the feas, he furnished
this ground with them in rows, in the most beautiful order. These fruits consisted of the sweet cherry, from
hence usually called the Kentish cherry; the temperate
pippin, hence for the like reason called the Kentish pippin, and the golden renate; (fn. 4) which sorts, especially
the first and last, have been long propagated from these
in great quantities, throughout the southern parts of
this kingdom; but the Kentish pippin is now hardly to
be met with, even in this county. Pliny, in his Natural
History, book xv. chap. 25, says, cherries were not in
Italy before L. Lucullus's victory over Mithridatus,
king of Pontus; after which, in the year of Rome,
689, he first brought them out of Pontus thither, one
hundred and twenty years after which they were transported into Britain.
In the year 1771 a commission of sewers passed the
great seal, for the levels of Tenham, Tong, and Luddenham, which has since, in the usual course of such
commissions, been again renewed.
Near the high London road on the left hand, about
a quarter of a mile eastward from Greenstreet, there
is a field called Sandown, which is encompassed with
a bank, from which it rises to an hill, on the summit
of which is a small coppice of wood, in which there
is a tumulus or barrow, which, by the hollowness at
the top of it, seems to have been plundered of its
contents. Dr. Plot was of opinion, that this work
was thrown up by the Romans. At a small distance
westward is a green and hamlet of houses, called Barrow-green, most probably from this circumstance.
THE PARISH of Tenham, or Teynham, gives title
of baron to the right hon. Henry Roper, lord Teynham, whose ancestor Sir John Roper, was created lord
Teynham, baron of Teynham, by patent, on July 9, in
the 14th year of king James I. anno 1616, of whom
and his descendants, lords Teynham, a full account
will be given in the description of their seat, at Lodge,
in the adjoining parish of Linsted.
TEN SHILLINGS yearly, in lieu of corn reserved in the lease,
are paid out of the great tithes to the poor of this parish, on
St. Thomas's day.
THOMAS BROOKE, by his will in 1669, devised to the poor
of this parish, the sum of 40s. to be paid yearly on Christmasday, out of a farm at Deerston street, in Tenham.
The poor constantly relieved are about thirty, casually about
TENHAM is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of
The church, which is large, is dedicated to St.
Mary. It is built in the form of a cross, and consists
of three isles, a high chancel, and a north and south
chancel, having a square tower at the west end, in
which are four bells. In the south cross or chancel,
called the Frognal chancel, from its belonging to that
manor, lie buried several of that family; over John
Frogenhall, who died in 1444, there still remains a
brass on his gravestone, with his figure habited in armour; several of the Clerks, owners of this manor,
lie buried likewise in it. The north chancel is called
the Hinkley chancel, from a family of that name, one
of whom, John Hencliff, of Tenham, died in 1463,
possessed of an estate in this parish, called Jonathan's
garden, which he devised to his two sons, on condition
that they should glaze a long window on the north
head of this church. In this chancel is a stone, with
an inscription and figure of a man in brass, for William Wreke, obt. 1533; a memorial for John Sutton, vicar, 1468, and Robert Heyward, in 1509.
Weever says, there was a memorial in this church for
William Mareys, and Joan his wife, but it has been
long since obliterated. There are remains of good
painted glass in the windows. Several of them have
rich gothic canopies of beautiful coloured glass remaining in them, which had no doubt formerly figures
of equal beauty, underneath. In the south window
of the high chancel, is the portrait of a girl in blue,
kneeling and pointing to a book, which is held by a
man, who likewise points with his hand to it; at the
bottom was an inscription, of which only remains,
Sedis aplce pthonotarii. In the north chancel, in two
windows near the vestry, is a figure in an episcopal
habit, mitred, &c. with these arms, Ermine, three bars
wavy, azure. In the window of the vestry room, a
mitre and these arms, Per pale and fess, counterchanged,
azure, and argent.
Archbishop Stephen Langton, in 1227, on account
of the slender income of the archdeacontry of Canterbury, and the affection he bore towards his brother
Simon Langton, then archdeacon, united to it the
churches of Hackington, alias St. Stephen's, and Tenham, with the chapelries of Doddington, Linsted,
Stone, and Iwade, then belonging to it, which churches
were then of the archbishop's patronage; and this was
confirmed by the chapter of the priory of Christchurch directly afterwards; at which time this church
was let to farm for one hundred marcs. (fn. 5) In which
situation this church has continued to this time, the
archdeacon of Canterbury being the present patron
and appropriator of it.
The chapels above-mentioned, which are all belonging to the archdeaconry, have long since, excepting the chapel of Stone, become independent parish
churches, and as such not subject to any jurisdiction
of the church of Tenham.
In the 8th year of Richard II. anno 1384, this
church was valued at 133l. 6s. 8d. It is now of the
annual value of about two hundred pounds, the yearly
rent to the archdeacon is thirty-five pounds.
It is a vicarage, and valued in the king's books at
ten pounds, and the yearly tenths at one pound, and
is now of the yearly certified value of 63l. 13s. 4d.
In 1640 it was valued at sixty pounds. Communicants one hundred.
This vicarage was augmented ten pounds per annum, by lease in 1672, between archdeacon Parker
and Sir William Hugessen, of Linsted, lessee of the
The family of Furnese were afterwards lessees of
the parsonage; Henry Furnese, esq. sold it to Henry,
late lord Teynham, who, in 1754, alienated his interest
in it to Mr. Kempe, the occupier of it, in whose
family it still continues.
There was a chantry in this church, which was
suppressed, among other such endowments, by the
acts of 37 Henry VIII. and 1 Edward VI. In the 2d
year of the latter reign a survey was returned of it, by
which it appears, that the land belonging to it lay in
Frogenhall manor, then the property of Thomas
Green, and that the total yearly value of it was only
Church of Tenham.
|Or by whom presented.|
|The Queen, during the vacancy||Charles Fotherby, S.T.B.Oct.
9, 1595, resigned 1600.|
|The Archdeacon||John Græye, S.T.B. Nov. 9, 1600, resigned 1600.
1600, resigned 1600.|
|William Hull, S.T.B. March
24, 1600, resigned 1604.|
|Christopher Pashlye, A.M. Dec.
18, 1604, obt. 1612. (fn. 6) |
|Edward Hirst, S.T.B. Aug. 1,
1612, obt. 1618.|
|Isaac Colse, A.M. May 20,
|John Gooffe, A.M. March 4,
1635, resigned 1642.|
|Thomas Miller, A.M. Nov. 4,
1642, obt. 1660. (fn. 7) |
|Thomas Cator, A.M. Sept. 13,
1660. resigned 1663.|
|Henry Eve, S.T.P. August 11,
1663, obt. March 4, 1685. (fn. 8) .|
|Feremiah Taylor, obt. 1688. (fn. 9) .|
|Thomas Stanton, A.B. Oct. 26,
1688, obt. 1708.|
|James Eve, A.M. July 29,
1708, obt. March 1743. (fn. 10) .|
|John Swinton, A.M. 1743, resigned 1753.|
|James Allet, A.M. Nov. 7,
1753, obt. July 15, 1776.|
|William Granger, A.M. Nov.
15, 1776, obt. May, 1778.|
|John Cautley, A.M. Oct. 1778.
obt. March 1, 1797. (fn. 11) |
|Owen, April, 1797, the present vicar.|