LIES the next parish eastward from Preston, and
is the last to be described in this hundred. It should
seem by its name once to have belonged to Godwin,
earl of Kent, being termed in antient writings Goodwinstune, i. e. Godwin's town, or village.
It is a very small parish, lying on the north side of
the high London road, at the 48th mile-stone, about
half a mile's distance from it. The village and church
are situated in the middle of the parish, which does
not extend more than half a mile from them each
way. It lies low in a flat and open country, and from
its nearness and exposure to the marshes, very unhealthy, the lands in it are exceeding rich and fertile,
like those in the same tract in Faversham and Preston
described before, the fields are very level, large, and
but little encumbered with trees or hedge-rows, what
trees there are are elm, and there is no woodland.
A fair is held yearly on Sept. 26, for toys, pedlary, &c.
THIS PLACE was held in the reign of Henry III.
by Simon de Turville, of the earl of Leicester, as lord
paramount, who held it again of the king in capite by
knight's service. (fn. 1) Of his successor Nicholas de Turville this estate was again held in the reign of king
Edward II. by one of the family of Chiche, which had
been seated at the Dungeon in Canterbury for some
generations, in which city they were of eminent account, being possessed of the fee of the aldermanry of
In the 20th year of king Edward III. Thomas
Chiche, of the Dungeon, paid respective aid for the
manor of Goodneston, then held by knight's service.
Thomas Chiche, his son, was sheriff of Kent in the
15th year of Richard II. and was grandfather of Valentine Chiche, esq. of the Dungeon, who left three
daughters his coheirs; Margaret, first married to
Clovill, of Essex, and secondly to John Judde, of
Tunbridge; Emelyn, to Sir Thomas Kempe; and
another married to Martyn, who on their father's
death became jointly entitled to this manor. The
two former of them alienated their interest in it, about
the beginning of king Henry VIII.'s reign, to Oxenbridge, as the latter did to Pordage, of Rodmersham.
Soon after which, the whole property of it, excepting
the third part of the advowson of the church of Goodneston, seems to have become vested in the name of
Finch, and John Finch having, anno 17 Elizabeth,
levied a fine of it, passed it away to Mr. Robert
Fagge, descended from the Fagges, of Willesborough.
in which parish they held lands so early as the reign of
king Edward III. He died possessed of this manor,
and was succeeded in it by his son Mr. Edward Fagge,
gent of Faversham, who died in 1618, and lies buried in Faversham church, having married Anne,
daughter of Richard Theobald, esq. of Seal, widow
of Thomas Nevison, esq. of Eastry, by whom he had
one son Michael, killed abroad in the Dutch wars,
and buried at Utrecht, and two daughters, who became his coheirs, Mary, married to Sir Edward Partrich, of Bridge, whose first wife she was, and Anne,
to Sir John Proude, being his second wife. The former died without issue, and the latter left by Sir John
Proude, who was killed in 1628, at the siege of Groll,
in Guelderland, being in the service of the states of
Holland against the Spaniards, one son Edward, and
a daughter Anne, who on the death of her brother
without issue became entitled to this manor. The
Proudes bore for their arms, Azure, three otters in pale,
or, each holding in its mouth a fish, argent. (fn. 2) Many of
of this family lie buried in St. Alphage's church, in
Canterbury, where they resided for several generations.
Anne Proude above-mentioned first married Sir William Springate, and afterwards Mr. Isaac Pennington,
eldest son of Sir Isaac Pennington, lord-mayor in
1643, a most atrocious republican, who bore for his
arms, Argent, five fusils in fess, azure, (fn. 3) who in her
right became possessed of this manor, which continued
in his descendants till at length Mr. Pennington, of
Philadelphia, becoming entitled to it, conveyed it by
sale, about the year 1748, to Michael Lade, gent: of
Canterbury, who was descended of a family originally
spelt both Lad and Ladd, who were of good antiquity in this county, in several parts of which they
were possessed of lands as early as Edward the 1st.'s
reign, which still bear their name. In king Edward
the IVth.'s reign a branch of them was settled at Elham, one of them, John Ladd, of that place, died in
1527, whose youngest son Thomas settled at Barham,
where many of his descendants lie buried. His grandson Vincent Lad, for so he spelt his name, died in
1625, leaving several sons, of whom Robert the eldest,
who first spelt his name Lade, was of Gray's-inn a
barrister-at-law, and recorder of Canterbury, to whom
Segar, garter, granted the arms of Argent, a fess, wavy,
between three escallops, sable. He was ancestor of the
Lades, of Boughton, as Thomas, a younger son, was
of the Lades, of Warbleton, in Sussex, from whom Sir
John Lade, who was created a baronet in 1730, and
the present Sir John Lade, bart. are descended. The
former of whom still bear the above coat of arms, but
the latter have changed the field for distinction, to or.
Michael Lade, the purchaser of this estate as before-mentioned, afterwards retired to Faversham,
where he died in 1778, and was buried in BoughtonBlean church. He left two sons, John, of whom hereafter; and Michael, barrister-at-law, who married
Sophia, lady dowager Cranston; and one daughter
Elizabeth, married to Mr. Benjamin Browne. John
Lade, esq. of Boughton-Blean and Canterbury, the
eldest son, is the present possessor of the manor of
Goodneston, and married Hester, sole daughter and
heir of Mr. Hills Hobday, gent. of Faversham. She
died in 1778, by whom he has three sons, John Hobday, now an officer in the militia; William, A. M.
and rector of Knolton; and Charles, late an officer
in the army; and one daughter Hester, married to
William Stacey Coast, esq. now of Sevenoke.
A court baron is held for this manor.
There are no parochial charities. The poor constantly relieved are four, casually not more than one or
two at most.
GOODNESTON is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of
The church, which is dedicated to St. Bartholomew, consists of one isle and a chancel, with a small
wooden spire at the west end, in which there is one
bell. In the porch lies buried William Benet, rector
of this church, 1490.
It appears by the Tower records of 1279, anno 8
Edward I. that Richard le Dagh, and Eleanor his
wife, sold their lands here, and the advowson of the
church, to Stephen Chiche, citizen of Canterbury,
with a part of Blean wood, and some land lying below it. (fn. 4)
After which the patronage of it seems to have sollowed the like succession of owners that the manor
did, till the reign of queen Elizabeth, when it became
vested with it in Judde, Kempe, and Martyn; at the
latter end of which, the two turns of presentation to
it, which had belonged to the two former, became
vested in Fagg, and the third turn in the Pordages,
of Rodmersham, successors to the Martyns at Graveney-court; in which state they continued in 1640.
In 1678 the Penningtons, owners of the manor, possessed two turns, and the Whites, of Vintners, in Box
ley, who had become possessors of Graveney court, the
other turn, from which name it passed to that of Blaxland, of Graveney-court, where it still continues.
But the two turns belonging to Pennington were sold
with the manor, about the year 1748, to Michael
Lade, gent. of Faversham, whose son John Lade, esq.
of Boughton, owner of Goodneston manor, is at this
time entitled to them.
This church is a rectory, and a discharged living in
the king's books, of the clear yearly certified value of
thirty pounds, the yearly tenths of which are 10s. 3d.
In 1578 there were communicants here thirty-three;
in 1640 twenty-four only, the value of it being then
forty pounds per annum.
This rectory is endowed with all tithes whatsoever.
There is a house and three acres of glebe land belonging to it.
An acre of land, called the Church Acre, belongs to
the church, but it is not known who gave it.
Church of Goodneston.
|Or by whom presented.|
|Edward Fagge, esq. of Eastry.||John Shepperd, Oct. 22, 1599,
|Edward Fagge, esq. of Faversham||John Hunt, A. M. Jan. 30, 1608,
|Maria and Anna, daughters and
heirs of Edward Fagge, esq.||Michael Hunt, A. B. May 21,
1636, obt. 1641.|
|The King, hac vice.||James Oxenden, A. M. Dec. 30,
1678. (fn. 5) |
|Thomas Cater, clerk,.... obt.
|Daniel White, esq. of Vintners.||Thomas Lees, A. M. Dec. 28, 1678, obt. Nov. 25, 1724. (fn. 6) |
|Thomas Lees, obt. Sept. 1728.|
|Thomas Pisley and Mary his wife.||Richard Eliot, June 13, 1729,
|Daniel White, esq.||Charles Norris, A. B. Feb. 12,
1731, obt. 1767. (fn. 7) |
|Michael Lade, esq.||Athelstan Stevens. A. B. May 18,
1767, the present rector. (fn. 8) |
The ISLAND AND PARISH OF HARTY is within
this bundred of Faversham, but lying contiguous and
almost as part of the island of Shepey, the description
of it has already been given before, p. 276, in the
account of that island.
The BOROUGH OF RODE, in the parish of Boughton Blean, is likewise in this hundred, an account of
which will be given in the description of that parish,
at the beginning of the next volume.